Monday, January 24, 2011

Prep defensive ends Michael Reynolds, Javonte Daniel commit to KU

Kansas University’s football program received oral commitments from a pair of defensive ends Sunday, bringing the Jayhawks’ total haul from the Class of 2011 to 25.

Michael Reynolds, a three-star defensive end from Wichita’s Kapaun-Mt. Carmel High, elected to join the Jayhawks Sunday morning, and, a few hours later, Javonte Daniel, a three-star defensive end from LaGrange (Ga.) High of nearly identical size, revealed his intention to play for KU coach Turner Gill next season as well.

Both players are among the most highly sought-after recruits in KU’s most recent class. Reynolds, 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, chose Kansas over TCU, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Indiana, among others. Daniel, 6-4, 215, tapped KU over SEC schools Arkansas, Kentucky and Mississippi State.

Both players were in Lawrence this weekend and, between touring the facilities, meeting the players and coaches and attending the basketball game between KU and Texas, both saw enough to commit.

“I really liked all of the coaches and the atmosphere,” Reynolds told Rivals.com Sunday afternoon. “I was at the basketball (game), and that crowd was (like) nothing I have ever seen. They are building the program, and I want to be a part of that.”

Added Daniel: “Everyone was respectful. They were the kind of guys you would want to have as teammates.”

Comments

Andy Hess 3 years, 3 months ago

today Michael Reynolds' facebook says "I think I got alot to still think about... its not official." analyze as you wish.

100 3 years, 3 months ago

Great job Coach Gill!!!!!!

Three studs in one day.... All blazing fast.... One of them, running a 40 just a couple hairs slower than the fastest digitally timed pro prospect ever ran after his last day at Auburn, Bo Jackson...

And to top it off... Another day, another one of Coach Gill's players goes to the superbowl... As a starter...

Playing a position coach Gill shifted him to....

Great job Starks!!!

Great job Green Bay line!!!!

And great job Coach Gill for helping that young man have a better life, not only in the NFL, but in life in general, as a man of character, who knows his place in society is much more than just earning an NFL paycheck....

That said.... It appears we have 25 + 3 early commits.... The legal amount, with room for possibly one more....

Brandon Alexander!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon down!!!!!!

We'd love to have you in Lawrence!!!!!!

Come help Coach Gill build this D.Y.N.A.S.T.Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jhawk60660 3 years, 3 months ago

Every day there is good news. It just keeps getting better. I don't ever remember it being like this before. Amazing.

jaycard 3 years, 3 months ago

Bakare (sp) is an outside linebacker, listed at 6'0", 200lbs. Caught a 5 minute highlight segment on Rock Talk for Kansas, and he looks a little undersized, but quick and a ferocious hitter. Only East Carolina was after him. Still, an immediate enrollee, he might a diamond in the rough after packing on a few pounds. Gotta love the entire 2011 class. Any scholarships left?

topeka52 3 years, 3 months ago

Ahperse, You may want to look up OSU's recruits before you start saying how much better their class is. Taking Nebraska out of the list and OSU is number 4 and Kansas is number 5 out of the Big 12. They have 2 Four Star recruits and 22 Three Star, Kansas has 2 Four Star recruits and 20 Three Star.

This does not include Tunde Bakaire who just commited today.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

and before we pop champagne thinking we won a battle against osu and some sec schools you might want to take a look at those schools current rosters and incoming recruits. all of the schools mentioned have 1-3 de's coming in that are ranked way above what we have coming in and some that are ranked on the same level but our guys are giving up 12-20lbs.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

The only trouble is now we need a good head coach to lead and coach them. Any takers?

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 3 months ago

Somebody asked about the secondary, and the response was right on about a pass rush. I would love to get the ear of someone who broke down tape of our secondary this year. Patmon made some great plays late in the season, but I remember how awful he was at times early. The same could be said of some of the other defensive backs. I'd love to get a feel for just how good or bad the secondary really was when graded on their own merits. Either way, this recruiting class is nothing short of incredible, considering how terribly wrong the season went last year. I agree that our head coach has some growing to do to prove he belongs in D1, but I'm willing to give him some time. The assistants have all been around the block a few times, and I'm more than confident this staff will get it together. From reading about this class, there is speed to burn!!!

cmm889 3 years, 3 months ago

I'll admit that I was skeptical that Gill was going to be able to recruit after all of that information came out about his rules on player conduct. I wondered why college recruits would WANT to come here when it'd be difficult to live the life of a real college kid... ( even though they mainly come for the athletics )

but I think i've figured it out... he's not recruiting the kids, he's recruiting the parents!

I really dont' care so long as it works,

good job gill.

midhawktx 3 years, 3 months ago

I give major props to the staff on recruiting this year. I have been tough on Gill all year, but this is impressive. I would not expect us to achieve recruiting success, especially against SEC programs, after the season we had. Great work.

Here is my question: Is Gill oversigning players with the goal of not inviting some scholarship players back? I know it is something that is done at major programs, just haven't seen it here.

slowplay 3 years, 3 months ago

220 is a little light for a DE. I'm sure another 20-25 lbs will be added in the weight room but it looks like Coach Gill is going for speed not bulk. I would love for him to switch to a 3-4 base defense. All you have to do is look at the Super Bowl teams this year to understand how successful that can be. Most times, the Packers only went with 2 down lineman (sometimes just 1), 4 LB's and 5 DB's.

BigBlue4KU 3 years, 3 months ago

Well said, Kack! These prima donna's won't probably pay any attention, but 'well said'.

Stephen Johnson 3 years, 3 months ago

Mangino was not bringing in the type of players to ensure long term success. The class that Coach Gill is bring in, is better than any Mangino had. The only thing I miss about Mangino are the "our coach can eat your coach" T-shirts.

Bill Kackley 3 years, 3 months ago

Really getting tired of all the negativeness. Mangino did a great job and I don't really believe it was a flash in the pan situation. Lew screwed him. We brought in a young mostly untested coach, whom I had my concerns about but this recruiting season has improved my viewpoint. Mangino is gone. He's not coming back. I wish him all the sucess in the world unless he happens to coach against us but we have turned the page and if you are a real KU football fan you will get on board and let our positive vibes encourage the upcoming football teams to sucess under Coach Gil.

741hawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Hard to imagine Gill knows what he's doing when we know that nine games into the season the team had NEVER practiced a surprise onside kick. Talent cannot trump coaching expertise and preparation.

Keith Hummel 3 years, 3 months ago

I seem to recall allot of talk from the He-Man-Gill-Haters-Club about how Gill wouldn't get anyone of substance to commit to KU because of the nameless jerseys and his antiquated expectations on personal conduct (e.g. cell phone distractions, after hours hanky panky, sailor talk, ...). Is it possible these kids actually care about personal growth, team success, and academic achievement? Maybe - just maybe - Coach Gill knows what he's doing.

Yide 3 years, 3 months ago

What does everyone think about our defensive secondary for next year? All of these D-lineman commits are great and maybe we will have a pass rush next year and that will certainly help. But...

I just seem to remember our secondary getting lit up last year and I don't know if our current and incoming players are up to the task of a (B12-2) schedule.

Do you think an improved pass rush will make our secondary look better?

RCJH

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 3 months ago

Finally, some defensive recruits. It's about time. Both prospects sound really good. Nice going, Coach Gill.

Chris Bruning 3 years, 3 months ago

hawkfan20 3 years, 3 months ago

KU's rolling in a sweet recruiting class. Up to #30 now in Rivals and 5th in the Big XII. What's better is K-State's class is down in the bottom 2 in the Big XII and the rankings don't go down far enough to see where they're at. KU's doing a good job at bringing in the type of players that can dig us out of the hole Mangino put us in.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

For a church going man, taking them to a basketball game and leading them to believe the atmosphere is the same?!?! Kind of shady.

And seriously! Can we stop with the "building something special" takes. Are we not a few years removed from a bcs win? Seems to me like things were built until last season.

(anyone that calls mangino losing 7 straight in his last season without referencing the close games or shenanigans pulled by lue is kidding themselves)

Stephen Johnson 3 years, 3 months ago

Impressive. HCTG and staff deserve a lot of credit for the hard work they put in. I was afraid we might lose several recruits after our receivers coach left for Texas, but Coach Gill and staff have kept everyone on board so far. Great Job!

Keith Hummel 3 years, 3 months ago

Awesome news!!! I echo the previous sentiments, and love that we stole this kid from SEC country. Very impressed with how the staff is finding such quality commits in all the areas where we need them. And I love this quote:

"They are building the program, and I want to be a part of that.”

These kids are realizing they have an opportunity to be part of something truly special at KU. This team is going to be fun to watch. Way to go Gill and staff.

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years, 3 months ago

YES !!! FINALLY got some defensive linemen coming. This is huge !!! Gill and company putting together a fantastic class.

kansas22 3 years, 3 months ago

Don't look now, but Gill and staff are bringing in a heck of a recruiting class, especially considering the 3-9 season the team just had. Rivals currently ranks our class 6th in the Big 12 (above KSU and Mizzou, and 1st out of all Big 12 North schools. Not that the divisions really matter anymore in the new conference alignment). And, as txhawk already posted, ranked 31st in the nation.

Also, this will be tied with the 2009 recruiting class for the highest nationally ranked recruiting class we've had in the last 10 years. Assuming we don't add anymore 3-4 star recruits of course. Impressive.

texashawk10 3 years, 3 months ago

KU's class is up to 31 at the moment on Rivals. I'm glad to see a lot of DLine recruits filling up the back end of this class as 3 of the last four. DLine was the one area of this class that had been lacking, but Gill and co. have now gone out and brought in multiple players at positions of need. WR seems to be the only position that wasn't heavily focused on this year, but that is also one of the few positions where KU has some depth because that seemed to be the one position where Mangino's staff really excelled at recuiting. Chris Omigie has great size at 6'5", Erick McGriff showed some good potential at the end of the year, DJ Beshears is the best playmaker, Jimmay Mundine has been raved about, and who knows what could happen with Kale Pick with Beaty back to coach him. I do think there could end up being a couple of players that aren't currently listed as WR's that end up being moved there, specifically Michael Cummings and Anthony Pierson.

Gill and staff should be commended for putting together a very solid recruiting class with players that can be the building blocks of getting KU back to being a competitive program. Berglund has the makings of being a very good QB, KU is loaded at RB and based on what James Starks has done this postseason for Green Bay, elite RB's should seriously consider coming to KU because Gill and Long have turned out some pretty good RB's in their coaching careers. There are a couple of behemoth OLinemen that have the size to be the anchors at both tackles along with some quickness for interior linemen. Julius Green has the makings of being an impact player from day 1. There is good quickness among the LB's in the class, and a lot of speed in the secondary.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 3 months ago

Now if we can just get a DT or 2, and maybe a P, this class would really be complete. Glad the 3 early entries can count against last year's class, though not certain where we stand on the 85 total.