Friday, January 21, 2011

KU basketball coach Bill Self: Texas is terrific

Kansas head coach Bill Self steers clear as Texas center Dexter Pittman (34) and Kansas forward Marcus Morris (22) crash into the Jayhawks bench going for a loose ball in the first half, Monday, Feb. 8, 2010 at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self sat in front of his big-screen TV on Wednesday night and watched the Jayhawks’ next opponent, Texas, rout rival Texas A&M;, 81-60, in Austin.

“Texas is very impressive,” Self said of the (15-3, 3-0) No. 10-ranked Longhorns, who meet the No. 2 (18-0, 3-0) Jayhawks at 3 p.m., Saturday, in Allen Fieldhouse.

“They played great against a one-loss team. I really like their talent. They’re a terrific team. They are playing awfully well together,” Self added.

On Wednesday, Jordan Hamilton scored 27 points and Tristan Thompson 18 as the Longhorns snapped the (16-2, 3-1) No. 11-ranked Aggies’ 13-game winning streak.

KU, which has an all-time record of 17-6 versus Texas, has won three consecutive games and six of seven versus the Longhorns.

These teams have met in three of the last five Big 12 tournament championship games with KU winning all three — 80-68 in 2006 in Dallas; 88-84 in overtime 2007 in Oklahoma City and 84-74 in 2008 in Kansas City.

KU, which has a 69-game homecourt winning streak, is 7-0 in Allen Fieldhouse against Texas since the Big 12's inception. Five of the last six KU-UT battles have been decided by 10 points or less.

Comments

100 10 years, 9 months ago

Keep up the great work Coach Self!

Love seeing the guys whip the ball around, box out & play tough D!!!

Let's keep the Lazer precision passing going against Texas!

100 10 years, 9 months ago

Also....

Let's O.W.N. the stat sheet!!!!!!

Jeremy LeMaster 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm sorry, but what does O.W.N. stand for?

Woody Cragg 10 years, 9 months ago

Whitlock says Rick Barnes squanders more talent than anyone but I don't agree. Calimari does, hands down!

Edward Daub 10 years, 9 months ago

Really? Calipari is a good coach. But he is trying to use "one and done" players, who are diaper dandies! Last year, Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe. This year, Knight, Jones, Lamb.

Woody Cragg 10 years, 9 months ago

Really? How good Roosevelt? To either publically or privately verbally attack a young person with profanity directed straight at him? Wasn't Mangino fired for that? And Bob Knight? I would say that's not good but great! About as great as takin a great cr*p! Knowledge without the ability to assimilate and apply it means nothing and profanity is nothing more than a small mind trying to express itself.

Jeremy LeMaster 10 years, 9 months ago

What was this even in reference to? It does not seem at all to relate either the story or the post you are replying to.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

"Wasn't Mangino fired for that? And Bob Knight?"

Um... no and no. While Mangino's profanity-laden, sideline spectacle was a comedic YouTube sensation, it was not the reason for termination.

And Knight was finally fired from Indiana for choking -- as in putting his hands around the neck and squeezing -- a non-basketball playing student for not addressing him correctly. That was after he was on probation from the Athletic department for using physical force on a player.

This post is a mess, and, as TaCity pointed out, seems as if it was posted out of place. I would like to point out, however, that Self cusses like a sailor when coaching. Watch close-ups during games: he covers his mouth while yelling at players so the camera does not pick up the F-bombs.

A large majority of coaches use excessive profanity toward their players. It's just the way it is.

Woody Cragg 10 years, 9 months ago

Only a statment of opinions as per Barnes/Cal. If anyone wants more out of it than that I have no problem responding but Cal screamed at his player "you are a selfish MF", and if anyone at all thinks that is good or great coaching they're laboring under a terrible misconception. All he had to do was sit him down with some poise & professionalism and go from there. Swearing may be part of acceptable behavior to some, but Cal was way, way over the line-again. And to put coaching ability in perspective read Jrandall's post below. In all honesty he stated that the NBA draft day was the greatest day ever fo KY hoops. And he'll be in the green room with Kanter the next draft. I just think he needs more personal effort in the way he conducts himself. IMO he obviously is not the sharpest tool in the barn & only seems to be digressing further while Rick is on the way back up.

JRandall 10 years, 9 months ago

Calipari is a good at recruiting physical talent, hands down. Most of the talent he goes after comes with its own distractions and baggage. A lot of those kids have no interest in school and just want 1 year of exposure and then a ticket to fame and fortune. I think Self, Izzo, Boeheim and coach K are the great coaches of today. They take 5 star talent and not only coach the kids on the court but also coach them into better young men and able to keep them in school and truly help those kids. If Calipare were ever to coach in a truly deep Basketball league it would be interesting to see his stats. His run at Memphis was terrific but in a sub par league and now Kentucky... the SEC is a one pony league at this point, nothing like a deep Big 12, grind em Big 10 or talented Big East.

Alohahawk 10 years, 9 months ago

<p>Zagsblog.com has the latest on D. Daniels recruitment. Is still awaiting some information (assume student loan information from KU). Indicates has till Friday, 1/21, to enroll at Kansas. Not sure how long after that he can still enroll, if at all. Still lists Kansas, Texas, and Kentucky as his options.

duanep5ku 10 years, 9 months ago

I will say one thing about the Daniels Family.I bet they would be great at poker because theirs been nothing from them at all,no tells on their lean or who they like for awhile now. I guess we all should know something soon.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 9 months ago

UK rescinded their scholarship offer, they're still mad at Texas, so the decision is get some scholarship help from KU now or finish school and start with a full ride next season. If DD ends up anywhere else, it will be a shock and a major disappointment.

kranny 10 years, 9 months ago

If past experience is any indicator: NCAA clearing house first to check to see any old family friends come agents bought too many ice cream cones, financial aid papers in order next, on campus in the end.

Funhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Texas is playing a whole lot better than last year. Their freshmen from last year are now living up to their hype. Hope we don't overlook them. Hope Bill can produce one of his better coaching efforts Saturday because Rick Barnes is doing a much better job this year. Texas is for real.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

UT is not so much playing better, as they are shooting better. Barnes has two trinitarians at 40% plus. He lacked that last season and bad shooting killed UT last season. The black lining ot UT's shooting silver cloud is that outside the two trinitarians, UT is once again a lousy shooting team from the field. KU will take away the trey, force the ball into two point land, and themn guard, guard, guard, UT's lousy shooters.

Hank Cross 10 years, 9 months ago

There's only two people on UT that believe in the triune God?

Scott Smetana 10 years, 9 months ago

Word of the Day... Trinitarian.

Something makes me less nervous about this game than the Baylor game. Maybe it's the fact that a loss doesn't hurt too much or the fact our home crowd is worth 10 points.

Jacobpaul81 10 years, 9 months ago

Usage of Trinitarian - proof Jaybate has no job.

Funhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Fun, new word of the day: Trinitarian. Having three members, parts, or facets.

kranny 10 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate, you'll need to get with wikipedia to add: one who shoots proficiently from behind the 3 point line in the game of basketball.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Due respect, jay, shooting better generally denotes playing better. If you are running your offense well, you will more often get open looks and shots in the flow... i.e. open looks while spotting up in rhythm. Now, obviously, you can still shoot poorly even though your team and offense is playing well (Brady is a perfect example this season), but for the most part if your team is playing in rhythm, you will get the looks the offense has designed and that will increase your shooting percentage.

The opposite can also be true -- a player gets hot, which opens up the floor for everyone else creating rhythm -- but the previous is much more common, especially at the college level.

Just my two shillings.

For what it's worth, I agree with your breakdown: force the ball out of the trey shooters hands, much the same as we did with LaceDarius Dunn. Our guys are extremely athletic and can matchup with almost any style of player. Shut down the three, and we put ourselves in solid position.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 9 months ago

Isn't shooter better and playing better synonymous?

AndOne 10 years, 9 months ago

"KU, which has a 69-game homecourt winning streak, is 9-0 against Texas in games played in Lawrence, including 7-0 in Allen Fieldhouse."

Huh? Where did they play the other two games? Robinson? Come on LJW!

Jacobpaul81 10 years, 9 months ago

I think they mean 7-0 since the inception of the Big 12.

KU is 41-1 against the Big XII South in games played in Lawrence since the Big XII's inception. Lone Loss? 3 pts to Texas A&M on an Acie Law 3 pt shot.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

EDGE KU:

~KU has a better disruption stat (strips to TOs). ~KU has taller, heavier, more talented bigs. ~KU has a waaaaaaaaaaaaay better FG percentage. ~KU has slightly better FT percentage.

EDGE EVEN:

~KU and UT are break even on overall trey shooting percentage, despite UT's starting trey shooters being sharply more accurate than KU's.

EDGE UT:

~UT's starting trey shooters are significantly better than Selby and Reed. ~UT's got a Glassvacs edge.

PROBLEMS UT POSES:

~Tyshawn and EJ at the 1, and Selby and Travis may have to play a lot of minutes, because of UT's perimeter speed, which tends to mean KU will have a lot of TOs and could lose the Disruption Statistic against UT's good ball handlers on the perimeter.

~UT appears to be the best rebounding team KU has faced, and KU struggles, when it cannot control the boards.

PROBLEMS KU POSES:

~Tyshawn can lock down any of UT's perimeter players he is assigned to.

~KU'S bigs can guard the post well enough that its perimeter players can guard the trey stripe more aggressively than UT has seen, which eats into UT's trey shooting edge.

~KU's big bigs--Marcus, Kieff, and TRob are bigger and stronger and will be hard for UT to control.

~KU's little bigs--Mario Little and Travis Releford--are quicker and faster and will be tough for UT to contain, if Self decides to go small.

~Withey, though Self may not go to him because of fragility, would block any shots by the UT bigs.

~This could be the ideal game for the 3-4 swing with Marcus taking a UT big out to the trey stripe and Little posting one of UT's short wings. UT would have no answer for this.

~EJ could have a break out game using his 6'4" size to smother UT's short PG.

FORECAST:

Butcher Barnes has no chance to win this game unless he turns it into a street fight and gets KU's bigs in foul trouble. Expect "XTReme Muscle" from the tip off. KU by 10. KU would probably win by 20, if it had not just shot 79 percent against Baylor.

Ian Brown 10 years, 9 months ago

A couple things:

You may be right about Texas' two trey ballers being better than Reed and Selby (at trey balling), but I wouldn't say significantly better on ANY day. And if Reed and/or Selby are on from three, which is bound to happen--they are both due--those two are DEADLY! Both can shoot the guarded three from anywhere, and when they are on, both ooze confidence from their pores. I'm going with my gut again, one of, if not both, are going to stroke off from three. (Sorry for the innuendo, haha.)

Also, you and many others list EJ at 6'4", but I've met him a couple times, and he is MAYBE the 6'2" he is often listed at. I'm a solid 6' and he was maybe a couple inches taller than me and at least an inch or two shorter than Brady and Tyshawn. However, I would definitely say he plays bigger than his height would indicate. This is similar to Mario Little, in that he also plays a lot bigger than his height. He's listed at 6'5", sometimes even 6'6", but I would say he's maybe 6'4" at most. He plays like he's 6'7" though...aside from the fact that I've never seen him dunk.

Lastly, you indicate many times that Releford will have to play a large role in several different areas, such as in the way of perimeter defense and being a match-up problem when Self goes with his "small bigs." Under normal circumstances, you're 100% correct. Unfortunately for Travis and KU, circumsances are not normal. I'm not sure if you posted this before his injury update, but Self only lists Releford as being 70-70% at best. You speak of us having an advantage in Relefords quickness and explosiveness, but such will certainly be hindered by his fragile ankle.

Otherwise, great analysis as usual.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

Thx.

Hadn't heard about Trav; that's bad news, unless Bill is sand bagging with him. But probably not.

Fascinating info on height, especially about Tyshawn and Brady having inches on EJ. If you have stood near these guys indoors, eyes don't lie about height, unless someone was wearing lifts. Outdoors can be tricky though, especially on the hill.

Regarding Little, come to think of it, I haven't seen him dunk.

Dang, you're going to have me watching EJ and Little to gauge height so much this game, I'll probably miss most of the action!

DevilHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Don't worry, you won't miss most of the action - this will be EJ's breakout game where he goes off for 20 points on 4-7 trifecta, 2-3 inside, and 4-5 from the stripe.

All to go along with 4 boards, 10 assists, 5 steals, and 1 block against only 2 turnovers and 2 fouls.

Scott Smetana 10 years, 9 months ago

Ya, but you're 6' only because of the fro. EJ grows a fro and he'll be 6'7".

Ty Mar 10 years, 9 months ago

He looks 6'4'" on TV to me. I'm 5'9" and I always think i'm the same height as someone next to me even though they might be 6ft tall. Our eyes can be very deceiving when in person. Either way-I doubt they would exaggerate height more than an inch...but I guess I could be wrong. shrugs

Damian Glaze 10 years, 9 months ago

Don't forget one important stat that may negate a perceived Texas edge. KU is #1 in the nation in 3-point percentage defense. To date they have proven to be the best team in the country at guarding the arc.

Chris Weaver 10 years, 9 months ago

dude - you posting this break down on the star's article about K-state's troubles was priceless! funniest thing i've seen on the interwebs in a while.

Michael Luby 10 years, 9 months ago

Im with you... KU by 10 in a hard nosed fought battle not since Durant was here.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 9 months ago

I guess we will see which team wants it more. Texas has played a tougher schedule losing to Pitt and UConn by a combined total of 3 pts. They have beaten 3 teams currently in the top 25. Going to be a close game. KU by 4

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 9 months ago

Good point LadyJ..And I think they are our only common opponent thus far this season.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 9 months ago

Good analysis on the 6 man rotation. Throw into the mix that they just played a perfect game at home, they would have to do it two games in a row.

Hank Cross 10 years, 9 months ago

I think it's going to be 18-6 and 70 in a row after Sat. UT is the definition of all hat and no cattle. In BB they haven't done anything besides a random FF. In FB, the only reason they have a BCS championship is b/c Carroll made several dumb play calls. I can't stand them at all, even worse than Mizery, Duke, UNC, and UK. None of those schools ever threatened to destroy our conference out of sheer greed.

I used to be worried that the twins might suffer against a tough frontline b/c they rely on more finesse than power, but they've faced enough teams to show they can hold their own against anybody.

Time to take Bevo to the slaughter house that is AFH.

lincase 10 years, 9 months ago

I believe that Missouri did some serious flirting with the Big 10 before a prettier girl from our conference came along. At least, that was what was reported in the Kansas City papers.

Hank Cross 10 years, 9 months ago

Mizery was just being the drunken boastful hillbillies they are. If they had been invited to B10 I would not blame them at all for jumping at the chance. Of course they were never going to be invited b/c they brought nothing to the table in terms of athletic and academic achievement, fan base, name recognition, etc.

duanep5ku 10 years, 9 months ago

Why, I may not be a Texas hatter,I do have to agree in part with you oxcalijayhawk they are a greedy bunch down South and it may stink that it comes down to Texas to hold the conference together but I could never put Texas lower then MU or UK.,sorry. UNC still to close to us in total wins to want them to be good anytime soon and KU does need a few more NCAA Championships to keep pace with Dukes recent title and UNC two recent Championships.So Texas is still the less of those evil programs because like you stated they have no Basketball Championships. oxcal-funny last line,for some reason it made me think of a good barbecue,sorry Bevo.

Ralster and Jaybate great post and analysis of the two teams. I won't even try to predict the final score on Saturdays game between Kansas and Texas because, I only care about one thing having a Kansas victory this weekend.and I don't care by how much we win by just as long as they get the W,just win the game Saturday and Kansas fans,have a nice barbecue for Bevo.

Rock Chalk KU

KGphoto 10 years, 9 months ago

I sure as hell hope Texas isn't reading this board like KU was reading Baylor's!

Snap out of it! Texas is good. You all sound high on Waco fumes. If KU runs Texas out of the gym they will be XTremely fortunate. I'm afraid this KU team is emotionally unstable and could easily get caught watching their own highlights from Monday while Texas lands a haymaker, to the team and the crowd... and this blog.

A little humility can go a long way. Remember it took everything we had and a whole lot of bulletin board material extra, to get riled enough to take care of an inferior team, with a half KU crowd on Monday. Don't think that AFH magic is going to magically win this game for Kansas. These kids need a reason to play hard.

I hate to say it, but I don't like this matchup. I don't like KUs mental fragility. I don't like KUs FT%. I don't like the pressure of the streak. I don't like the overconfidence of the fans, but mostly I don't like the oversized chip on Bevo's rack.

Therefore I don't like that I'm picking KU by 3. 88-85

KUlancer 10 years, 9 months ago

Totally agree. I'm not sure we're mentally fragile (maybe immature?), but I think you've hit everything else pretty square on the nose. Texas poses matchup problems and they're past due for a win against us. We're gonna have to play a hell of a game to keep alive the AFS winning streak, which has thrice been threatened against lesser teams than UT. Hey, I'd rather lose to the Horns tomorrow than to Kansas State next Saturday.

That said...KU 81, UT 74

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

Great post even though it erodes my cred! :-)

This will be a tough game, because:

a) KU will probably shoot poorly after the 79% in Wacko; and

b) Butcher Barnes will go XTReme Muscle.

I can see your 3 point winning margin, especially if we shoot very poorly.

If the Twins get in foul trouble, which I think is a possibility, due to XTReme Muscle, Josh the Ripper, TRob and Mario Little could be our edges this game.

Josh: Josh had a quiet game for him in Wacko. He could be ripe for an explosion.

TRob: this is his kind of team and his kind of game, once he gets used to how ruff things really are. He can bring his brawn to this game and really mix it up.

Mario: As I've said elsewhere, this could be the game for the 3-4 swing with Marcus stepping out and Mario posting a UT perimeter player.

I watched Maryland vs. VTech last night. Every time you don't see Maryland (or Texas) for awhile, you forget how ugly they can make a game. Gary Williams and Rick Barnes come from the same butcher ball genes.

Everyone bring an extra mouth piece for this game.

DevilHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Actually, I think that this will be a rout.

KU by 23 on 45% overall; 52% trifecta; 85% from the stripe; and several more possessions while UT hits 30% overall; <15% trifecta; and 60% from the stripe (pressure from AFH).

100 - 77

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 9 months ago

I doubt they put up 77 points if they should less than 15% from the trifecta.

100 points would be an amazing feat and we would need to shoot much higher than 45%. We shot 78% in the first half at Baylor and narrowly put up 50 at halftime.

DevilHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Probably true. Just having some fun for this game, because it is normally one of the best of the regular season...the North's annual payback for the South's dominance in football.

Ty Mar 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm saying KU by 21, Selby will show up with his headband on and go off for 40 points while looking sleepy.

ok ok, KU by 5.

Chris Bruning 10 years, 9 months ago

You're right KGphoto. im gonna say a good defensive game and ku wins KU 66 UT 61

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 9 months ago

Texas has a 72% winning percentage in the Big 12. Outright champs once and 2 co-champs with us. 17-12 in NCAA Tourney w/one Final Four. They also have a lot of early outs... Probably the 2nd best team since the Big 12 started.

Karen Holmes 10 years, 9 months ago

First time poster here down in the heart of "Baja Oklahoma" but LONG time reader of this blog. UT will have problems with the crowd in AFH because this team this year has never played in front of 16,000+fans. On Jan. 1st when TX played at home there were only 8,000 fans in the Erwin Center. I went to the KU game last year here and the Jayhawk fans were louder than the UT student sections at either ends of the basket. The rest of the Erwin Center is nothing but a bunch of alums who sit the whole game. The section I was sitting in had more Jayhawk fans than UT. Hearing the Rock Chalk chant at the end was loud and clear and gave me chills. This UT team did play well vs. the Aggies but that is as big a rivalry as us vs. KState and/or MO. We just need to do what we do best. Our defense will be key to keeping them from the 3's (that they live on). The twins need to watch out for Gary Johnson. He muscles his way to the basket. Rick Barnes is not that great of a "game day coach." He does have players this year that are shotting better but our fans need to step up to the plate. I hope for an "air ball" early in the game. I've watched every KU game this year and want to send a BIG SHOUT OUT to wichitachiefsfan for providing the link to a couple of those games. Remember Seth Davis picked KU to win it all this year before the season began and he wasn't afraid to do so this year even though he had the same prediction last year. He sees the depth of our team. I think this will be the game Brady gets his MOJO back and that first 3 he hits will be telling. I also look to see Josh's defense step up to the challenge. I am glad to see Travis has practiced. TROB - you are a beast and need to come out strong. He provides such a spark to the rest of the team. TT - no turnovers. Work your majic. I work with Dr. Randall's brother and there is another alum in our firm. One of our other attorneys (a UT homer from Baldwin) is going to be there and he is going to pick me up a program. I am SO ready for this game. One team will be undefeated in BIG 12 after this game. IT WILL BE KU. RCJHKU BEAT UT

10 years, 9 months ago

Welcome to the boards, fellow Lone Star Stater!

Beat tu!!

Karen Holmes 10 years, 9 months ago

Thanks. Remember the 08 Big 12 Championship Game? :-)

10 years, 9 months ago

I do remember that one! I was fortunate enough to be at the Big 12 Championship Games in ’06 and ’07. Talk about wild, especially the come-from-WAY-behind victory in ’07 :^)

Ian Brown 10 years, 9 months ago

I tried too over-analyze match ups and got caught in the LackaDaisical Done and Patty Jones hype machine and made the awful prediction that Baylor would win by 6.

With that said, I'm going with my gut on this one. KU comes out and punches Tejas early like they did against Baylor, and does a better job of building on their lead in the second half. Kansas by 23.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

Man, that is a pair slapping!

Rock Chalk!

KU_FanSince75 10 years, 9 months ago

Ibrown3----wow--bold prediction. I think KU will win and extend the streak but it will be a close game. All the other games before in AFH have, for the most part, been close games. I think this will be a nail biter. Good luck, Jayhawks!

Ian Brown 10 years, 9 months ago

I agree, very bold indeed. But as I said, I'm going with my gut, and I woke up this morning feeling great. Hopefully I don't feel any different tomorrow. And more importantly, I hope KU feels as good as I do and plays with a sort of overwelming energy, terrific eagerness, and terrifying (in the eyes of Texas) confidence that we have yet to witness this season. With these intangibles and our sheer talent, my unfathomable boldness could be realized by 5pm tomorrow evening!

KGphoto 10 years, 9 months ago

My fear is that the boys feel like you do, which results in overconfidence, or fatness. The feeling that they can just turn it on and be fierce. In reality fierceness comes from hunger. They have to be hungry for something.

Without being the underdog, it's very difficult for young guys to fabricate a hunger to win against a good team. Beating Texas at home is sort of expected, even though Texas is good. What is gonna make them play as hard as Baylor's disrespect made them play?

The crowd noise can temporarily infuse that fierceness, but only if the game is close. I just don't see a blowout here.

Hope you're gut is right though.

jayhawktalk 10 years, 9 months ago

I think it all comes down to defense. Punch them in the mouth early, and watch the typical Barnes team fold like a cheap suit. Assuming good things from the more experienced Hawks, and that Selby continues his game to game progression while continuing to play w/in himself, I think he's the difference maker... on defense.

Martini_Boy 10 years, 9 months ago

What no bobbysfissure? Did the preparation H seal him up for good. How about a prediction chump....

Tony Bandle 10 years, 9 months ago

The previous poster made a very good point.

Even though Kansas may be down a little emotionally after the Baylor win, Texas will have that same let down issue to deal with after beating their archrival A&M.[I had a friend from Texas once told me the Texas fans want to beat Oklahoma, but they want to just kill A&M...and by the look on his face, I wasn't sure he wasn't talking literally!!]

The difference in the game will be the two guys wearing the suits. The little guy has come into Allen with much better teams and not prevailed and the taller guy has had less talented teams and never lost.

You all can complete the rest of the thought I am sure.

PS This streak will have to end sometime...as long as it's not K-State or Missouri!!

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 9 months ago

Maybe...but I would like it to live on for a few more years....

Chris Weaver 10 years, 9 months ago

i have concern about the twins matching up against a tall and athletic trio of bigs like UT. also, balbay is the kind of true PG that will give our D fits.

i expect that releford's return will be met with plenty of minutes, selby will have a breakout game in the scoring line, and the morrii will get into early foul trouble.

bradynsdad 10 years, 9 months ago

Actually balbay is not a factor and never has been. That was a huge weakness everyone exploited last year when Texas went on it's losing streak. Balbay may be a good defender but everyone knows he doesn't need to be guarded. Texas a&m showed it the other night. When balbay is in it's five on four defensively.

bradynsdad 10 years, 9 months ago

One last thing balbays stats: 4 ppg, 2 rpg, 2 apg. Not impressive at all.

Professczar 10 years, 9 months ago

Off topic - but relevant:

Setting aside the lousy versions that have been recorded by fans and uploaded to Youtube, is it possible to obtain a high-quality copy of the intro video that's played at AFH before each game?

If so, how? If not, why not?

I'd love to be able to cue that up on my big screen, crank the volume to 11, and watch it before the tip-off of each televised game. And I'm willing to bet that a lot of other KU faithful would, too -- especially those of us who live outside of Kansas and rarely (or never) have the chance to relive the AFH experience.

I'd be happy to pay a fair price for a HD copy on DVD -- and I'd buy two copies if the proceeds went to supporting academic programs.

Anyone?

63Jayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Has anyone looked at just the conference portion of the 'horns and hawks stats. Texas is better in all but a couple of categories. Hawks by 14 after a tough first half!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 9 months ago

I wonder if the little red-haired girl from last year's game in Austin will be there!!??

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 9 months ago

Somebody had a link one time with photos of that redhead. I wouldn't be opposed to clicking on it should anybody out there still have it. Even though she appeared to be a Texas fan, it made for mighty fine viewing pleasure!

PhogAdvisory 10 years, 9 months ago

Maybe I just psyched myself out about the game (probably read too many articles talking about how good Texas is) but I am WAY more nervous about this one than I was about the Baylor game. Heck, Baylor didn't concern me at all.

Still think KU's gonna pull out a win -- we have a better coach, are at least matched in talent if not superior, our deep bench should wear Tejas down, plus I have seen AFH literally win games for us -- but it's gonna be close, and probably one of the best games of the season. I predict it'll look a lot like the 2008 B12 Championship game: two very good teams playing very good basketball... and with luck KU will win this one by 10, too.

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 9 months ago

Bill has had from Monday to Saturday to get the guys ready. I think the only thing that can hurt us is if the shots aren't falling. Hope we didn't use it all up at Baylor.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 9 months ago

Something to be said about experience in Lawrence:

Three Seniors, Three Juniors, Three Sophomores and One Freshman in your 10 man rotation.

Next year we could be really, really experienced......or, conversely, really, really young both in age and experience.

Hypothetically, we could only have three of our top ten back next year. Yikes!!

REHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

If Rick Barnes is playing only 6 1/2 members of his team, his Longhorns are in for a tonguedragging shortsgrabbing experience tomorrow afternoon. Jayhawks and faithful fanbase must remain calm and patient. The final 7 minutes of this contest should see a Kansas surge. Our bigs have to avoid deep foul trouble. Kansas wins. p.s. If Bill Self could forge a steady comeback against the onslaught of Durant's hot hand, he can win any game vs. the current Longhorn coaching staff and young talent.

Ludwig Supraphonic 10 years, 9 months ago

Bulletin board stuff: Jay Bilas "I like Texas in an upset at the Fog." "They (Texas) have a swagger they didn't have next year."

Alohahawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Best thing that could have happened. Bilas (national exposure) predicting that Texas would pull off the upset. If the Morii were speaking the truth about getting ticked because KU wasn't given credit that they would win against Baylor, then I hope that it works again.

Take pride in the name on your uniforms, Hawks. Take pride in your homecourt win streak. And take pride in yourselves. This is the moment of truth. One point, ten points, who cares how many we win by, just win.

One at a time. RCJHGKU!!!!!!!

Ludwig Supraphonic 10 years, 9 months ago

Balbay career PPG=3.7. How much more can we hold him down?

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 9 months ago

I figure the game will be in the least, very entertaining. if we get beat, we get beat, but i suspect the guys will be fired up to play this game...plus, UT has just gotten done beating it's main rival...if they had to reverse scenarios, the'd much rather beat aTm and lose to KU, than the other way around.

that being said, it will be a tough one this Saturday.....but if we play our best effort ball game, we'll win the game. because at some point on Saturday, we will make a significant run...and hopefully it's a close game at the time, instead of us being down 20.

both teams are very athletic and have a couple each of excellent skill players. it will be a great national showcase Big 12 game. Go Jayhawks!

Phoggin_Loud 10 years, 9 months ago

Who wins: Kansas is the more efficient team and has by far the longest home winning streak in the country, but it's also had some issues putting teams away. Texas has been very tough on the road, and is playing with a swagger it didn't have last season. I like Texas in an upset at the Phog.

Jay Bilas, ESPN

Go get 'em, Hawks!!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 9 months ago

I must admit that I think the streak will end when we all least expect it. I think the Hawks will be focused for teams like Texas, K-State, A&M and Missouri.

Look out for Okie State, ISU or even more so, Colorado.

Does anyone share this feeling with me as a possibility? I keep going back to that Long Beach State game from awhile ago. It took an inferior team to play perfectly and Kansas to play perfectly inferior but it did happen!!

PhogAdvisory 10 years, 9 months ago

Ugh. Now I'm having Oral Roberts flashbacks. >.<

Ty Mar 10 years, 9 months ago

I agree. I'm thinking CU will be the one-I hope i'm wrong and we have a perfect season :)

KansasComet 10 years, 9 months ago

Should be a pretty good game. KU should be fine. We need to exploit opponents weaknesses just like they will exploit ours. Texas is a very good basketball team. When Kansas is focused, we are clearly the best team in the country. Would like to see more playing time for Mario Little and would love to see EJ shoot more.

Ty Mar 10 years, 9 months ago

I want Tyrel Reed to dunk from the free throw line with 3 seconds left and KU up by 10. MAUAHAHH

TGIF

dynamitehawk 10 years, 9 months ago

That's a great link. Tyrel has some crazy hops! I would love to see some of that in a game.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

An in-law who used to play basketball in Fredonia Kansas played against Reed in H.S. He said Reed got his attention because he was dunking in warm ups as a freshman.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 9 months ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Redheads Rock!

Steve Gantz 10 years, 9 months ago

Hoping for the daily double. In the warmup act tomorrow, the 'Hawks knock off the worst colored uniform I've ever seen. And on Sunday that same color when mixed with Navy blue knocks off the hated Packers, which is really the worst colored uniform I've ever seen, I think I saw a preview of that color against Baylor!

KU_FanSince75 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm with you 83----although, I don't know if I would call the Jayhawks game a "warmup act." However, I get your meaning of your post. My youngest and only brother lives in Evanston and I know his family will be pulling for the Bears, as I will, too!

Steve Gantz 10 years, 9 months ago

Well normally the Jayhawks are indeed a big event for me, but man o man this is a big game, once in a lifetime!

Nick Cole 10 years, 9 months ago

I hope the KU players are reading what a lot of "experts" are saying: They are picking Tejas for an upset in The Phog. If the Hawks didn't have a chip on their shoulder before the Baylor game, well the should now. Take care of business gents. We've got an early supper on Saturday...and steak is on the menu.