Thursday, January 20, 2011

Bears, not bench, inspired Josh Selby in KU basketball’s win over Baylor

Kansas guard Josh Selby pulls up for a three as Baylor guard LaceDarius Dunn lunges to defend during the second half on Monday, Jan. 17, 2011 at the Ferrell Center in Waco, Texas.

Reader poll

Who is KU's best bench player?

• Travis Releford 11% 619 votes
  • Elijah Johnson 1% 105 votes
  • Brady Morningstar 14% 789 votes
  • Mario Little 5% 292 votes
  • Thomas Robinson 65% 3543 votes
  • Jeff Withey 1% 55 votes
  • Other 0% 21 votes

5424 total votes.

Josh Selby, who stroked a three-pointer for Kansas University’s first basket, looked like a guy who had something to prove Monday night at Baylor.

Not necessarily the case, says the even-tempered freshman combo guard, who insists his sitting the final 16 minutes of Saturday’s 63-60 home victory over Nebraska had nothing to do with his strong play in an 85-65 KU rout of the Bears in Waco, Texas.

“It didn’t upset me that I didn’t play because, of course, we got the win,” Selby said of the Nebraska game, in which he finished with three points, four turnovers and no assists in just 13 minutes. “I just wanted to come out (against Baylor) and focus on the mistakes I made against Nebraska and make sure I didn’t make them again. I was just motivated that we were playing Baylor.”

Selby finished the ESPN Big Monday game with 12 points off 5-of-11 shooting (two of six threes). He had three assists with three steals and three turnovers in 29 minutes.

“We were just humble. We wanted to get the win very bad. We like to compete every game,” Selby said. “I don’t think we could play any better than the first half (in which KU hit 23 of 29 shots for 79.3 percent). We were playing defense. We were scoring. We just looked like a good team out there.”

For the year, the 6-foot-2 Baltimore native has averaged 12.1 points off 39.8-percent shooting with 27 assists against 29 turnovers. He has made 19 of 45 threes for 42.2 percent.

In three Big 12 games, he has averaged 9.7 points a game off 40.7-percent shooting, making four of 13 threes for 30.8 percent.

Selby said he has benefited from playing on the same team as KU’s two leading scorers, Marcus and Markieff Morris, who average 17.2 and 13.2 ppg.

“They can’t just focus on me. They have to focus on everybody on the team,” Selby said of opposing defenses. “When we go through the twins, it makes it easier for all our guards.”

Marcus Morris likes what he has seen of Selby all season.

“He’s grown. He’s grown. He’s grown,” Morris said. “He’s going to keep getting better. We have guys on the team who talk to him, will continue to talk to him. I consider my own brother. He’s going to be a great player.”

The Jayhawks will meet Texas at 3 p.m. Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse.

Family matters: Marcus Morris on the focused Jayhawks, who are off to an 18-0 overall, 3-0 Big 12 start. “Our motto is, ‘No days off.’ We’ve got to keep getting better. That starts in practice with leaders on the team and have everybody go play every day. We are just one family.”

Recruiting: Four top high school juniors will be attending the KU-K-State game on Jan. 29 as part of unofficial recruiting visits, Rivals.com reports.

They are: No. 13-rated Kaleb Tarczewski, 7-0, 220 from St. Mark’s High in Southborough, Mass.; No. 19 Perry Ellis, 6-8, 220 from Wichita Heights; No. 38 Nino Jackson, 6-2, 175, from Ardmore (Okla.) High; and No. 98 Zach Peters, 6-9, 235 from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas.m Peters has orally committed to KU.

Comments

100 9 years, 5 months ago

Josh Selby & Jayhawks:

Great game Monday night.

As for Saturday against UT....

1. Pass crisply!!!!!

2. Play tough nose D!!!!!

3. Box out!!!!!

4. Own the stat sheet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. All for one & one for all!!!!!!!!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

100 front loading action verbs means...the real war starts now!

Excited!

Laced'em up and its only 4:20am.

Pixel painted new wallpaper:

"Get Granny Barnes... Guard. Control glass. Get 12 long boards. Fight thru cold shooting. Strip and protect. Shove a cutter. Deliver a blow Flank and destroy."

Granny will give us our first real test of XTReme Muscle.

It will be interesting to see if he has added XTReme Cheap Shotting to his play book.

Feel them out.

Take what they give.

Then play through the Twins.

Take the open trey.

Let Granny's nastiness come to us.

Hand check hard.

Attack.

Intensity + Execution + Disruption + Protection = Victory.

Trey Hohman 9 years, 5 months ago

Selby's got some large hands. Like "Jordan hands". The ball looks like a nerf toy wrapped underneath those huge mitts.

Selby and Tyshawn, too.

Selby has bear paws.

Tyshawn's are looooooooooooooog. If his long fingers had suction cups on the end, I would swear his hands belonged the Martians in "War of the Worlds."

These two are definitely on the All-Hand Team.

jakejayhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Selby impresses me most with his desire to make the team better with his play. Despite all the media attention this young man shows maturity by putting the team success above individual interests.

Those junior recruits are intriguing. Do you suppose they could commit as a group and end up as our post, small forward, shooting guard, and power forward in that order? Hey, I can dream!

Ben Kane 9 years, 5 months ago

i don't listen to they hype of players who haven't played a game. that said, Selby has been very impressive with his attitude and maturity which is quite unusual for a freshman... just ask Calimari.

Joe Baker 9 years, 5 months ago

Selby's maturity and unselfish attitude impresses me the most. He get's it, unlike other selfish frosh in the nation!!!

Stay focused Josh and the game will come to you my friend.

Kye Clark 9 years, 5 months ago

Love that quote by Marcus - "No off days". Hopefully this holds true and the team keeps a steady focus throughout the remainder of the season. If so, we could be in for a very fun and successful run in the tournament.

ParisHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

For those who don't follow the Twins on Twitter, they tweet "no days off F.O.E." practically every day. (FOE = Family Over Everything). They are talking the talk; I may start calling them the Twitterins...

AsadZ 9 years, 5 months ago

I am happy to hear that. I did not know and thought it meant F$&# Off EveryOne

Ian Brown 9 years, 5 months ago

I don't know that this belongs in this thread, but I forgot to post it on a thread in an earlier Baylor vs. Kansas article. Also, I don't know if anyone else has beat me to the "punch" with this joke, or whether or not anyone even finds it funny besides myself, but the heck with it.

I sure am glad LackaDaisical Done showed up to play Monday night, and not that LaceDarius Dunn guy. It could have been a much closer game if Dunn had Laced up to play. Lackadaisical play just couldn't get it Done. He Lacked his cool composure and couldn't hit the broad side of a broad even when confronted by a smaller opponent. In short, more often than not, we beat him to the punch.

Hahah, okay, the last part was slightly cruel, but I still find the whole bit funny. I hate to be the guy that laughs at his own jokes, but I can't help myself.

The actual humorous part behind this joke is my sheer stupidity. Back when LaceDarius was new to Baylor and wasn't a household name, I thought LaceDarius was pronounced "LackaDarius"--note the "ck" sound. Anyhow, the name has stuck amongst my family and friends when watching or speaking of Dunn, but this season I one-upped myself in renaming him LackaDaisical Done. Unfortunately for us, LaceDarius usually shows up more often than is alter-ego "LackaDaisical." I am glad Lack did Monday night, though.

On another note, anything new with DeAndre Daniels? I know it was said that he wanted to enroll, take classes and practice with the team during the 2011 spring semester... Well classes start Friday.. I know you can enroll and add classes late, but this still doesn't look good if the only way we were going to get him was through the aforementioned scenario. What about BenMac? Anybody with any info is greatly appreciated. And for those without any info, well I appreciate you too.

ParisHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Bob Knight doesn't get your joke: he things the word is "laxadaisical", which I guess means you're not concentrating because you have to go to the john.

ParisHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Rats, he thinKs the word is...

Sorry for the laxadaisical spelling...

Ian Brown 9 years, 5 months ago

Haha, many like Bob Knight as a commentator. Just because he supposedly doesn't have an east coast bias, he is an instant fan favorite here (However, during the Texas-Texas AM game, he continuously praised Pitt as having the best guards in the country. I thought that was a joke, and more evidence of his senility and delusiveness.) If you're an analyst, writer or commentator, and want to get Kansas fans on your side, say a few good words about them and limit any positive comments and analysis regarding any Big 10, Big East, or ACC team. It doesn't matter if he really knows what he is talking about, or more importantly, WHO he is talking about.

Me... Well, I believe he is knowledgeable on the sport of basketball, but he is simply too old and/or too senile to be a live commentator. Laxadaisical is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to his problems. He gets players' names wrong more often than he gets them right. When calling a Kansas game, he constantly refers to Brady as Reed, and Reed as Brady. He will go on an entire rant about a couple of great shots by Brady when, in fact, he has missed all three attempts (of course, he is referring to the back-to-back threes Reed just hit merely 2 minutes earlier), and then he will talk about the three great post feeds by Reed down to Thomas Robinson (even though it was actually Brady, and Reed has turned it over on his two post-feed attempts.) Of course, these scenarios are hypothetical, but I'm simply making a point. The only time he actually gets their name right is when he thinks he got it wrong (if that makes sense... when talking about Bob Knight.)

Of course he will refer to us as Kansas State once or twice a game, that is never good to here.

The worst was a couple games ago when he tried referring to the Morris Twins. He came up with at least 4 different names that I caught. On a majority of plays, Marcus Morris was referred to as Maurice Morris. Similarly, Marquise Morris (Markieff Morris) made a few games. And then, several times, he simply mistook the two, which is understandable, but he did it at an alarming rate.

He also gave Elijah Johnson a weird name. Can't remember what it was at the moment, but it was NOWHERE near Elijah.

yates33333 9 years, 5 months ago

I thought his dumbest comment was when he said Thomas Robinson was a better outside shooter than either of the Morris twins. I don't think he is senile, I think he likes to hunt and fish more than study basketball tapes. He is mostly unprepared so he tells you what they ought to be doing rather than knowing what is going on during the game or earlier games. He was a great coach and an intelligent man. I like him, but I would certainly rather have Ron Franklin and Fran Franchilla (or however you spell his name) as the announcers. The parenthetical remark is for all smart a s s e s who comment when you misspell something.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Knight has so much contempt for the media he may just be botching it to make broadcasters look bad. :-)

lee3022 9 years, 5 months ago

I read that ESPN fired Ron Franklin this year for inappropriate comments he made. They had already broken up the team.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

How can you two be this funny this early!

Ron Prichard 9 years, 5 months ago

Use the pump fake!! Use the pump fake!! See there, he didn't use the shot fake!! That would have been a great play if he had used the Shot Fake!!

Um, Bob, it was a layup...

Kye Clark 9 years, 5 months ago

Funny stuff about Dunn. However, despite his lackluster game and his personal issues, I agreed with the announcers and thought he showed some class holding up whichever of the Morris Twins' leg following a breakaway dunk so he wouldn't fall down. The Twins jaw and scowl a lot at opposing teams and fans, so I'm sure quite a few players in our conference wouldn't have thought twice about undercutting him or pushing his leg to the side leading him to hit the deck.

As for your Bob Knight comments - completely agree. Enjoy his basketball insights, but the constant reference to the Pitt guards was annoying.

Joe Baker 9 years, 5 months ago

I agree ict and it was Marcus after the break away dunk and outlet pass from Kief.

addlime 9 years, 5 months ago

Also, I think Dunn was getting over the flu or something...

addlime 9 years, 5 months ago

Also, I think Dunn was getting over the flu or something...

Alohahawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Give some credit to the Hawks' defense on Dunn. Yes, he may have had an off night (or wasn't concentrating), but that's hard to believe, seeing as how important this game was to Baylor's league standing and national recognition. And don't forget, he wouldn't intentionally want to look inept in front of all the NBA scouts and managers attending the game.

Do like the name you've christened him with. I was never sure how it was pronounced. Up until I heard it announced by the TV commentators I thought it was like" lace dareass".

NJHAWK 9 years, 5 months ago

I agree that TT and Brady should be given a lot of credit for not letting "laxadaisical" Dunn score at will. In fact, there should be a category for defensive scoring. It may not appear on the stat sheet or add to the final score of our team. But, we as fans should consider it in our post-game analysis. In that category, I would score 10-12 points each for Brady and TT. These are the points "laxadaisical" Dunn is capable of scoring against any team (especially at home) but did not score against Brady and TT.

clevelandjayhawker 9 years, 5 months ago

Saturday wont be a given, getting number 70 is going to be tough. Love the "Morri" attitude!!!

Lets take it to them at the Phog in a team effort that causes more debate on whos number one in the Keggan ratings?

Any information on Travis Rel playing this game??

Marcia Parsons 9 years, 5 months ago

Said on Hawk Talk that they expected him to play. Don't know how much. He was back practicing some that day (Tuesday).

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Rick Barnes? I always wished he coached Fizzou, so I could hate him even more.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

"Most Constipated Looking Coaches"

Coach Consonants Rick Barnes

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

What fat, 15mpg postman is Barnes relying on this year?

waywardJay 9 years, 5 months ago

He's not. He's relying on a Canuck name Tristen, which so far has paid off. However, I don't imagine Tristen is going to gather him any respect amongst they Philly and New Jersey set we have at the Phog Down low.

Tristen = Less athletic Perry jones 3.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Barnes has succeeded in turning Texas into the Maryland of the Sun Belt. The trouble is: Maryland's no good anymore.

Ken Sedgwick 9 years, 5 months ago

Would you say we have Texas in our crosshairs?

Dan Harris 9 years, 5 months ago

Careful or the left will start bashing you for that "cross-hairs" comment.

waywardJay 9 years, 5 months ago

Left checking in approriately....

Seriously, after the shootings we have had recently someone is going to use gun violence to describe a game ( adjusts his nerd glasses ).

We have a war going on and people are calling post play a tank battle.

We have killers on the streets and people are saying Cross hairs.

Try to be compassionate.

That being said, I hope we drag this soft untalented texas team into the street and bludgeon them with a tire iron, or possibly one of Dexter pittman's elbows.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 5 months ago

Every B10 coach wants to be the one who ended KU's home streak. Barnes is no exception. I bet that goal is nearly as important to them as a W on their record.

The mutual choice of all of those NBA scouts, etc. to attend the Baylor game should leave a little bit of a taste of envy throughout the conference. It was so hyped publicly that now teams like Texas playing KU will seem a little anticlimactic. In reality, they were probably more than equally there for a select few Baylor potential picks. But, the Morris duo had to be the most talked about subject of the night.

The eyes of NBA are not upon you this year, Texas.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Rick Barnes? A small coach in a big state.

Marcia Parsons 9 years, 5 months ago

Wouldn't be surprised if there were a bunch at this game, too. That would probably impress all those recruits that are coming.

KEITHMILES05 9 years, 5 months ago

Dunn was sick and playing with the flu. You probably can't be at the top of your game when that happens.

As far as DeAndre Daniels it appears now that he will go back to IMG for spring semester. Since KU had no scholarship to give him right now he would have had to pay his own way. Does KU stay at the forefront? Who knows with recruiting. However, hopefully this is just part of the process for him and he will commit after the season is over and be on campus in June.

Ian Brown 9 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for your take on the Daniels situation. For the last month (and last 5 months for BMac), this recruiting saga has been one of my main reasons for visiting this site at least 5 times a day. Needless to say, I'm quite disappointed in the lack of commitments from players who have been reportedly KU locks. Even more, I am disappointed that the recruits have supposedly told sources that they were going to commit by a certain date several times and obviously not done so (this is especially the case with BMac).

Haven't heard much lately, but here is my brief, semi-chronological recap of what I consider the oddest and most frustrating recruiting saga I have ever followed (aside from possibly Xavier, but at least X wasn't stuck betwixt KU and the Mizzerskis):

•Supposedly he's always dreamed of being a Jayhawk. Sounds like a lock. Big surprise if he doesn't sign early. Probably won't sign early. Won't sign early, but will commit to Hawks next week. Mommy talk. No decision.

•Goes to late night, attends a football game (KSU bashfest). He's ready to decide after each of these trips, after more mommy talk, of course. No decision.

•Every week during December, BMac tells sources he will make his decision by the end of the week.

•There's been at least 2 or 3 other times when he would talk with his entire family, not just mommy, and then make a decision. He then Disappears.

•He revisits MU and KU, will make decision after more mommy talk. No decision.

•Wants to make decision before going back to Oak Hill after break. More mommy talk needed. Goes back to school, no decision. Silence.

•Now he wants to come back for another game and see exactly how KU prepares for games, as if he's never seen it before.

•Now his mother wants to attend a game or something.

•One week KU is Seabiscuit in its prime; the next its neck n neck in a 2 horse race with MU.

I know we've had other indecisive recruits, but this kid is.. Well.. He's honestly starting to tick me off. If you want to wait and weigh your options, do it, great. However, don't go around making BS announcements about committing if you don't plan on doing so. If you are that close with mommy, you two should be great at communicating with eachother, so use that closeness to come to an agreement. I'm close with my mother, and it would take maybe an hour tops to come to an agreement. We'd discuss what makes most sense, but most caring mothers, including my own, would say this, "YOU are the one going to school, not me, so choose what you believe is best for YOU and make the most of it and I will support YOU."

Ian Brown 9 years, 5 months ago

Seriously, if its that hard to decide between KU and MU, you must not like playing on a big stage EVERY night like all our current Jayhawks (don't know how many times Selby has said he knew he wanted to play here as soon as he witnessed the atmosphere, and it couldn't be more apparent that he truly means that.) The toughness and cajones of an elite player that finds the half full antler arena appealing kind of concerns me.

A lot of you will say, "I hope Ben doesn't read this, its stuff like this that scares opponents." I say BS. Recruits like this, especially during the recruiting process, only seem to act as a deterent to other recruits who might atually want to commit but are waiting on the guy who might be their first option.

In short, prove your cajones and make a decision whether your mom likes it or not. If you like to win and do so in front of a crowd that loves you as though you are family and likes watching basketball more than smoking meth, get your a$$ to Kansas. If it has been your dream to be a Jayhawk since you were a kid, prove it, or I'm calling wolftickets. If it is true, but your mom objects to you coming to KU, then I say screw her. Any mother that would step between her child and his lifetime dream is a selfish female dog.

For now, props go out to Naadir Tharpe. I believe he's waaaay overlooked. I forgot what the article said exactly, but I remember it saying he was the most NBA ready PG at the HS level in some certain skill set. It was a rivals article I believe. Regardless, that's high praise. In videos I've seen he looks like a Tyshawn with much better handles and passing ability. I definitely believe he will come in and take any minutes Royce planned on getting (assuming Tyshawn stays. I believe Selby is gone no matter what. It wouldn't matter if he averaged just 3 pts the rest of the season, he'd still get drafted in the top 20 based on sheer potential.) Anyhow, bring on tharpe. He looks like he will be great at running an offense. If TT is playing the way he is now, he may be in trouble of being usurped too. As for EJ, I think he is going to explode next year.

Doug LeMoine 9 years, 5 months ago

I think the psychoanalysis of McLemore's (or any recruit's) decision is pretty simple, actually. It comes down to minutes and visibility. No one wants to sign up for the big stage, and then get cast as an understudy. Few seem willing to spend their one year getting 15 or 19 minutes a night (or less), in exchange for learning and winning.

I'm sure that Self tells every recruit that they're going to have to battle uphill for a starting/visible role, and that guys who are "less talented" are going to play more if they can get the job done better. Also, I'm sure that there are plenty of other coaches who are giving McLemore implicit guarantees of playing time, or a place in the starting lineup. The other coaches probably also remind recruits that Self's clear track record is to heavily favor experience and stability over potential when it comes to prime time minutes. It started with Christian Moody, continues through Brady, and you could point out a variety of other smaller examples along the way. If McLemore commits, is it possible that Releford will start, and get lots more run at least through mid-season, than McLemore next year? In a word: VERY.

In McLemore's (and his mom's) mind, I'm sure it's pretty simple: When I'm on ESPN next year, am I going to be watching Releford light up Missouri next year from the Kansas bench? Or, am I going to go to Missouri and have a chance to light up Kansas? ...

Corey Shideler 9 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the analysis. I agree with bits of both arguments. Here is my question. Why are we all holding our breath for a small forward? SF's don't even fit into our pure game scheme. While i have been extremely pleased with Travis and feel like Mario has some real value, their position is not required in our offense. We start a guard at the 3 the majority of the time. Thoughts?

lee3022 9 years, 5 months ago

Brandon Rush Xavier Henry If he has one he plays on

Ian Brown 9 years, 5 months ago

1. You do realize at least Reed, Morningstar and Little are leaving next year. We will stick with only those 3 leaving for now. That frees up A LOT of time alone--somewhere near 55-60 minutes per game. Moreover, each of those guys get minutes at BMac's position, the 2/3. I think Oak Hill is getting him a lot of time at the 2/3 to for that's where many see him playing at the college level. Also, he can play the 4, because he's a strong and athletic 6'5" who played down low primarily before this season, so he's got post skills. I believe BMac would be a great fit at KU and he could see significant minutes at the 2,3 and 4 spots.

2. Have you seen this kid play? He's nasty, Instant impact, top 10, Xavier/Selby good. He would be perfect lined up with Releford. He's more skilled than Releford offensively, where Releford is more skilled and would compliment him at the defensive end. This kid is a tremendously versitile guard/shooting/small forward, or a hybrid guard for a better term. He can get to the rim, nail the mid range jumper, drain the 3 ball, and also displays some strong post moves for his size. Ben is college ready. He may begin the season off the bench but he will be a starter by mid-season if he comes to Kansas, especially depending on who stays and who leaves.

Scenario 1: everyone comes back, we get BMac, DeAndre and Chol (this ONLY occurs in the case of a lockout.) Imagine this depth and versatility to begin the season, and trust me, BMac sees significant mins no matter what position he plays (this makes me giddy):

1. Tyshawn/EJ/Tharpe
  2. Selby/McLemore/EJ
  3. Releford/McLemore/Daniels
  4. McMorris/TRob/Daniels/Releford
  5. MkMorris/Trob/Chol

You could shake that line up in any number of ways. This is scary. We could have 3-4 excellent ballas at every position.

Scenario 2: I believe this or something like it will happen. I'm not counting on this lockout, in addition to losing our 3 seniors, let's say we lose Selby, 'Cus and 'Kieff. In reality, I believe only Selby leaves, and that could be another scenario, but we'll play with this for now (very athletic, but if those three leave, we might even need 4 commits):

1. Tyshawn/Tharpe/EJ
  2. McLemore/EJ/Woolridge
  3. Releford/McLemore/EJ
  4. Daniels/Chol/Releford
  5. TRob/Chol/Withey

Super athletic. So many different line-ups and scenarios. I'm already hyped. Hope the Twins stay for sure.

duanep5ku 9 years, 5 months ago

ibrown3 I enjoyed your post,good read. "Yes, I agree with you about the modern day recruiting saga. I also heard good things about Naadir Tharpe, that he's a great point guard,smart and he's a great passer,listed in the top 10 in passing efficiency by some. I mean imaging having a smart point guard on the team that has a high basket ball IQ already built in that can pass the ball,would be nice.

Ian Brown 9 years, 5 months ago

For those who think BMac is only a Small Forward/3 (Bellyofthewhale), rivals actually lists him as a shooting guard, those who don't realize how versatile he is, those who think he wouldn't see big minutes at Kansas next year, and those who believe all of the above, enjoy these videos (yes, I understand he'd see bigger, better defense at the college level, but there is no way you can deny his pure talent, pure jumper, and pure drive.):

Only a junior in this video! Baller. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIcfVs...

Ben in some AAU action, some of which is at our very own 2010 Jayhawk Invitational: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpwP0B...

Now please, someone tell me why we would not want this kid, and tell me any reason why he would not see good minutes or wouldn't be a good fit at Kansas. I love his game. This is why I wish he would hurry up and decide. I can't take the suspense much longer.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

In McLemore's defense, maybe he does know where he wants to go. I agree about the decision making, but there was a lot of delay, rumors, and assumptions about Selby's recruitment as well. It wasn't any walk in the park from a fan's perspective. Maybe it was for Selby and Self, but there was constant rumors, just like McLemore's situation at the moment.

Ian Brown 9 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, I don't mean to attack McLemore, it is just really, really frustrating though. I remember the Selby recruiting process among others who have been a little difficult, and I still don't think Selby's was anywhere near this bad. This reminds me a lot more of Xavier's recruitment, except instead of Big Poppa getting involved, it's Big Momma's House.

I really want McLemore, though. One person stated that he wouldn't want to come because Releford would get all his minutes. I think this is entirely false. Yes, they would battle it out in practice everyday, which would make both that much better, but I would love to see both in the game at the same time. Same height. Same body type. However, one is more of an offensive specialist (BMac) and while the other is a defensive magnet (Releford.) That would be very dangerous. Also, I believe it would be great to sub one in for the other depending on the situation.

As with the recruiting, the underclassmen on our current roster is entirely up in the air as well. Many speak of a lockout, but that's something that you can't really bank on, so I haven't been assuming there will be one like some have. With that said.... I'm still not sure who is gone (besides the seniors) and who is staying. If I had to guess, I could see just Selby leaving since the NBA seems to be obsessed with drafting solely on potential (see Cole Aldrich and Julian Wright, two beloved Jayhawks, two NBA duds), plus they have a hard-on for freshman.

At the same time, I don't think it's entirely impossible that the Twins skip out of town for the NBA. I've seen several mock drafts that have them both getting picked up in the first round. Additionally, nbadraftexpress.com even had TRob getting selected in the first round. I would love for everyone to come back, because I don't have much faith in recruiting anymore, but if I had to choose between Selby coming back, or the Twins coming back, I would definitely choose the Twins (which is probably a no-brainer.)

lee3022 9 years, 5 months ago

Hard to look at the past 6 years and have no faith in recruiting! CS knows what he is doing. He has four fewer losses than the top recruiter and he nearly always makes his mark in the Spring.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

It was an ESPN Insider story saying that Tharped was the best Pick and Roll guy in the class amongst point guards.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 5 months ago

"Bears, not bench, inspired Josh Selby in KU basketball’s win over Baylor" As an avid Chicago Bears fan, this article's headline caught my eye!

RockChalk26 9 years, 5 months ago

Your Bears are going down Sunday!

~Go Pack Go!

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 5 months ago

Wissoxfan83--- Hey, good luck Chicago Bears-----I hoping that Chicago will play the NY Jets for the big one!

As HCBS pointed out after the game, all the Jayhawks were focused, including Josh Selby. One could tell on the look of his face.

I watched most of the A&M/Texas game. I don't think we'll have any trouble with A&M. That's the last game in AFH this season (Senior Day). Texas is good but we do have them in the Phog, thank goodness. We will have to be focused just like we were VS Baylor. Good luck, Jayhawks and Rock Chalk!

chavezm77 9 years, 5 months ago

Nothing like a recruit seeing a rivalry game for their visit. The Phog will be rocking that night!

SDSurferFan 9 years, 5 months ago

SDSU is 20-0, struggled at home bs AirForce (princeton style) but won by 13. Next game Wed vs BYU (#9). I'm hoping for a KU win and Ohio St loss, then all you will hear is, "two remaining unbeatens...SDSUsnd KU."

If SDSU beats BYU and if all others lose then you are looking at #1.

Lot of 'ifs' but.....pinch me.

gchawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Good luck, SDS. You're having a great season, congrats.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 5 months ago

The king of the mountain mentality in voting for NCAA polls is irksome. Do we really think KU is the #1 team? I think we're top 5 just because we've managed to keep winning. But #1?

SDSurferFan 9 years, 5 months ago

Of course ESPN has zero coverage.

Also ESPN TEXAS!!!?! Rich get filthy rich!

Saad Saifeddine 9 years, 5 months ago

Here is what should INSPIRE the Morris twins for the texas game: Allen Fieldhouse: January 27th, 2003: Texas at KU: MONSTER game from Nick Collison: 24 pts & 23 rebounds in a 90-87 victory for the jayhawks. I will never forget that game!! Now go to work twins.. Here is the link for those who wanna reminisce..Rock Chalk! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwMlvm...

Ed Brown 9 years, 5 months ago

Dickie V...saluting Collison at the end was priceless.

funkitect 9 years, 5 months ago

awesome! thanks for bringing back some great memories...

hawk_of_ages 9 years, 5 months ago

That was one of my favorite KU games of all time. We'd had a tough season so far, we'd just gotten creamed by 'Zona at the Fieldhouse two days earlier (we'd get our revenge in March), Wayne was out for the year, and Texas was ranked in the Top 5 while we were somewhere around 12, I think. We trailed early by 12 points, T.J. Ford was unstoppable, and it was starting to look like our season was just coming apart. But Kirk and esp. Nick saved us in that game, and that was probably the catalyst that carried us to the Final Four that year.

zsn 9 years, 5 months ago

I remember it well, too. I was at the ESPN bar in Chicago, on a business trip - there was ankle-deep snow outside and packed with 'Hawks fans inside. As I recall we were down a bit at the half and Collison put on a show in the second half.

Of course, it still irks me to this day (and probably will forever) that the game-aftermath will live in infamy as the day that "The Young and the Stupid" stormed the court at Allen. The shame......the humanity......ruined an otherwise awesome experience .

hawk_of_ages 9 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, but those folks were booed off the court pretty quickly. I just think that was a testament to how exciting that game was, given all the adversity that season.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

You should have gone to Kincade's. That's the "Kansas" bar in Chicago. It's on the corner of Armitage and Sheffield in Lincoln Park. I made the WGN news before the Championship game against Syracuse took place.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

What were the fans thinking storming the court at the end? I had forgotten about that! Actually, I'm a little irritated that they did that.

Who was the Texas post player that looked like a skeleton? He had those weird shoulders, but was extremely cut.

hawk_of_ages 9 years, 5 months ago

James Thomas, I think? The fact that Texas had so many imposing bigs in '03 made Collison's stat line all that much more impressive. Those were both Final 4 teams, of course.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

Yep, it was the Thomas kid! I agree about Collison. Texas had a ton of big's that year.

Greg Lux 9 years, 5 months ago

Monday you have a night with all those scouts and GM's and Josh plays within himself the whole game. I am so impressed with this young man. On a night where he could have tried to show off he played "team" ball all night. He has come a long way and still has a long way to go, but he will make it just fine with the attitude he shows on the court and off. As for Saturdays game just one thing we truly must improve on: BLOCKING OUT !!!!! we are still getting pushed under the basket. We need to block out and let the ball drop in front of us instead of over us time after time.

Rock Chalk

Ed Brown 9 years, 5 months ago

If we come out passing crisply (props to 100) and moving the ball it will be a great game for us. Passing seems to be the sign of how good all Kansas teams play. Slow, sloppy and arcing = bad game even if we win. RCJH

REHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the link. Terrific opportunity to view highlights of that game again. What a game for Collison! And enjoyable to watch guard play of Heinrich + Miles.

REHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

What is the stat on Rick Barnes' Longhorn W-L record at AFH?

Tony Bandle 9 years, 5 months ago

KU's sixth man against Texas...Rick " Deer in the Headlights look against Bill Self" Barnes

KGphoto 9 years, 5 months ago

A real gut check against Nebraska had the Hawks hungry.

Hope the road clinic at Baylor doesn't make them fat.

Texas will be hungry. They always are against Kansas.

This is easily the best rivalry in the conference.

Strap it up Morrii. Strap it up guards.

XTreme Muscle Ball! Coming to a Fieldhouse near you!!

Scott Smetana 9 years, 5 months ago

When will Texas begin their annual slide? Hmm, maybe this Saturday.

Ron Franklin 9 years, 5 months ago

can't believe only half way into the season & KU has gained 5 games on UNC & 4 games on the UKats......for the all time wins record. Should catch UK within the decade if Self sticks around.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 5 months ago

Simple Formula:

For UK take this year's Number of wins plus 2019 For UNC " " " " " plus 2004 For Kansas " " " " " plus 2003

Tony Bandle 9 years, 5 months ago

Could someone check me on UK, please...I may be too low.

Kurt Eskilson 9 years, 5 months ago

At the end of last season, Kentucky had 2023 wins. You are correct that UNC had 2004 and Kansas had 2003, Oakville.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

You have to remember though that even with KU's success last year KU lost two games overall to Kentucky, which I would have never imagined that happening. Technically, I still think it's only 2 games simply because of last year.

Hank Cross 9 years, 5 months ago

Stupid Huckleberry Hound Roy. I would've rather have seen Coach K win two more titles than see Roy get his two.

Andrew Washington 9 years, 5 months ago

i would really hate to see PUKE with 6 ncaa titles thou!

Tony Bandle 9 years, 5 months ago

No matter what, Roy cheering for Kansas with a Jayhawk on his chest in 2008 will forever put him ahead of "Rat Face"!!!

zsn 9 years, 5 months ago

My three favorite college basketball teams are (in order): Kansas and whoever happens to be playing Mizery and Duke.

UNC on the other hand, is like your spoiled, self-centered, prissy little sister. After all is said and done, she is still, your little sister!

Therefore, sir, you have blasphemed all that is good.

Hank Cross 9 years, 5 months ago

KU has only one true enemy now, and really only one that deserves unrelenting scorn - UT. Neither Duke nor Mizery nor UK nor UNC threatened to leave KU BB to the tender mercies of Conference USA as part of it's scheme to get its tv contract that UT got today. Down with Bevo.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

I've come to respect Coach K and Duke for the time that I've spent here in the Carolinas. What's funny is that my distaste and hate for UNC Carolina blue grows more and more with every year. IMO, UNC is the evil empire.

With all that said, Roy Boy must have listened to his callers because he replaced Larry Drew II in the lineup with Kendall Marshall. Fans have been screaming for that since the 5th or 6th game of the season. I guess they got their wish and Roy must have been listening.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 5 months ago

Ok, I'll be the naysayer here .. I don't wish anything negative for Roy at all. Things turned out fine. We have a coach we would rather have as a coach, and we had 15 tremendous years with Roy. He had the guts to wear the Jayhawk in 2008, and I think he still genuinely loves KU. And we got our opportunity to knock UNC out on the biggest stage possible. I can't wish anything bad for him, or even enjoy his defeats.

hawk_of_ages 9 years, 5 months ago

Ditto. I still root for UNC over Duke every time.

Kurt Eskilson 9 years, 5 months ago

Absolutely no malice to Roy, but I do like being ahead of UNC for all-time wins and their every loss extends that gap.

Dan Harris 9 years, 5 months ago

+2 How anyone can hold any type of grudge baffles me. It must really suck to go through life with that kind of disposition!

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 5 months ago

Is Roy getting too old to coach? Glad HCBS is the head man for the Jayhawks!

Gregor Southard 9 years, 5 months ago

All you Brady haters. Go to Yahoo and read Jason King's "All About the Big 12" article. In particular, the who's hot section

beware0fph0g 9 years, 5 months ago

Great article in general. Thanks for posting!

addlime 9 years, 5 months ago

Bulletin Board!! Texas' Gary Johnson when asked if they are ready for Allen Fieldhouse. We just beat a Top 10 team by 20 points,” Johnson said. “I think that says we’re just a little bit ready.”

Jack Wilson 9 years, 5 months ago

See below .. this article is pure fiction. Sorry .. re-watch the game for the evidence. Jason King obviously didn't see that it was TT that did a number on Dunn.

waywardJay 9 years, 5 months ago

Nash. If He watched the game, he would have seen that Brady only guarded him for a few plays in the first half, and about half the seocnd half.

1. Lace was sick, no excuse, you suit up your expected to perform and he scored 13 points on a rough night.

2. He was effective despite a second half adjustment that had him the third scoring option on his team. He scorde 8 of his 13 points on afore mentioned morningstar, in the second half.

3.We were up 15 at half.

1. Their Point guard was worse than any point guard on our roster.

2. Brady guarded Acy the firs thalf, and Acy spent alot of IT saddling himself with fouls.

3. When Brady DID Guard Lace he was forced to foul 4 times, and had Lace hit all of his free throws he would have had double digits on Brady.

4. The one possesion i Clearly remember Brady Guarding Lace when the game still mattered, Brady got completly owned. He hedged too far and Lace cut him backdoor. Lace had a dunk but tried to go up soft and brady got enough to not let the basket fall, and lace missed the free throw ( 1-1)

When quoting an article on the game, it's best to make sure the author actually WATCHED the game, instead of Compiling quotes from the coaches after, a few ESPN highlights and his gut instinct.

This article informs me of one thing, and one thing only. I have better analysis than a guy Yahoo pays to keep tabs on our conference.

Kit Duncan 9 years, 5 months ago

This from the http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=teamreports-2011-ncaab-kaa Kansas Team Report:

Quote To Note: “They may be our best (backcourt combination) in all honesty. The whole key is, you’ve got to get a shot every possession. You’ve got no chance to score when you turn it over.”—Kansas coach Bill Self on G Tyrel Reed and G Brady Morningstar.

That's "Head" Coach Bill Self who, it appears, thinks very highly of Brady's play. In the second half against Baylor it was Tyrel or Brady bringing the ball up court instead of Tyshawn. It was pretty obvious Bill felt he needed Tyrel and Brady to protect the ball into the front court.

waywardJay 9 years, 5 months ago

Yet, Brady was in during the immediate collapse. He was also on the bench when we BUILT the lead and Resurrected the lead.

Brady gave up 8 of 13 Lacedarius Points, even thought he Jones decided they were going to play off each other and hope Lace got open.....

Considering 3 points of lace's were unguarded in the last second of the game.... that means Lace score what 2 on Tyshawn.....

Bill earlier this year was glowing about Brady's play in a game where his stat line suggested he was miserable. There's some weight to the eye test, and I watched Brady the whole time he was in ( Just so i could effectively make this Argument.... )

BRADY WAS DOING NOTHING POSITIVE FOR US THAT OUR OTHER PLAYERS CANNOT ALSO DO WHILE ADDING OTHER IMPACT AS WELL....

I will repeat for those hard of hearing, The difference between Brady and Every other guard on the team is Self trusts him to not turn over the ball and aside from Tyshawn ( Who Self is going to be patient with on the to's because he has too ) and Josh ( someone Self is only going to play If he feels his postivies outweigh the negatives )... BRADY has the highest turnover margin on the team.

Self's blind here. He's wrong, and I expect once we have Travis Back, we will see Bill correct this issue. Brady's a step slow ( often two steps slow on Defense), his offense is horrible, and the great post passing he did during the game was 4 assists on shots outside 14 feet from the basket.

Brady had what amounts to a zero statline against Baylor. Bill, play him if you'd like, but eventually we WILL lose to someone because of his ( your ) insistance in only playing guys you THINK don't turn the ball over. I promise you, Brady-backers, His play WILL cost us eventually.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Assuming Marcus and Kieff wind up as the two best big men available in this year's draft, who do you want to replace the Twins, as the new green wood in the paint to go with Zack as backups to TRob and Withey. Choose one:

a) Chol b) Daniels c) Ellis

Since Daniels chilled, and Ellis continues to play the field, I get the impression from Self's recent reputed trip to LA that Self wants Chol bad and is putting the press on him.

Is Chol the best of the these three now, or does he have the highest ceiling, or both? Haven't seen Chol.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 5 months ago

JB..apples and oranges. Ellis and Daniels are currently both better but are both possible one and done forwards. Chol's future is in the midddle and after he gets "Huddied" and "Manninged", he could be real monster to go with TRob and Zach.

I am very sure he is not a one and done either..also another advantage.

What the heck, let's get all three!!!

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Do you think there is a chance to land 3, or even two, with TRob and Withey returning, and Zack already coming?

Adding one makes a four man rotation.

Adding 2, or 3, makes a five, or a six big rotation.

Unless Withey is a dedicated scout teamer, now, I can't see a 5, or 6 big rotation as feasible, enough to attract any 5 star beyond one.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

But I don't mind, if we land all three. :-)

Ian Brown 9 years, 5 months ago

Jaybate, are you speaking of the '12-'13 team? Because Zack Morris.. I mean Zack Peters don't graduate 'til 2012 which meanhe ain't gettin' hea fa 2 mo seasons, yo. Anotha thang, I think TRov comin' back fo his senior season is a long shot at best.

Sorry for my ebonics/Jersey slang. I'm annoying myself wit it.

Anyhow, TRob is already being projected in draft boards as being a first rounder this year! If he continues to impress, I think he's definetly gone after this year. He's already better offensively and has more heart, drive, strength and desire than Cole ever did, and Cole was perceived as and paid Lottery dough. The only aspect of Cole's game that TRobs lacks is his shot blocking ability, and that's partly because he doesn't see as many minutes, partly because I think our perimeter defense is ever so slightly better at keeping their man in front of them than last years team (though I still think it needs A LOT of work), and partly because Cole simply had a better nack for blocking shots.

I think I got off topic, but my point is that I think TRob is going to improve upon this years beast mode and (depending on the status of the Mo' Twins) become unstoppable next year and average at least 18 pts per game next season, and fly the coup for the League.

Also, I truly hope we get Chol and Daniels. Haven't heard anything on Ellis. But I like the comparison of Daniels' game to that of T. Jones's. Although there is no other player I hate more in the college game at the moment than Jones (I even hate the way he looks--it looks like he swallowed his chin and the way his mouth is always open makes him look like a person trying to itch the back of his throat with his tongue) I probably like his game more than any other super athletic big in the country.

YuCoJayHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

I would have to add that TRob's free throw shooting falls way behind what Cole could do. And if you are a big man that can't make the free ones, its too easy to hack you in the league.

Andrew Washington 9 years, 5 months ago

im really glad to finally see our team getting better. I hope travis will be ok and can play against texas. Its really fun when our team is actually motivated and looking for the kill

Tony Bandle 9 years, 5 months ago

Totally off topic!!

Let me be the first [and maybe the only one] to jump on the 2012 Jeff Withey Bandwagon. Transfer issues, injuries causing missing practices, strength training and development time has cost Jeff's growth dearly.

However, even this lost season for him is showing him what he needs to do to measure up to Kansas standards. It's teaching him how quick in body and mind he has to be to catch up to the speed of an elite division one basketball team.

Daily practice against the Morri, TRob, Little Big Man, is teaching him that " you are in Kansas" and you better be damn good, damn tough and damn focused if you want to play and contribute.

On Thursday, January 20th 2011 in snow paralyzed St.Louis, MO, I hearby declare he will surprise us all!!!

Ben Kane 9 years, 5 months ago

it doesn't help his development much only getting 2-5 minutes a game. I agree that he has upside, but for this year that upside will be limited to a reliever role when we are in foul trouble down low.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

Part of the mystery of Jeff Withey is how playing against Cole, the Morri, and TRob has not already hardened him up.

The other part of the mystery of Jeff Withey is how playing as fast as KU must play in practice has not gotten him pretty well primed for the speed of D1 games.

No one can ever become ready to perform at a high level in D1 just by practicing, but practicing against a Number One ranked starting five last season and a Number 2 ranked starting five this season ought to get you pretty comfortable with competition at a D1 level.

It must have been one helluva sickness that he had, or there are issues we are not privvy to.

Ron Franklin 9 years, 5 months ago

provoked an interesting thought...becuase Withey did spend ALL year last year on the scout team playing against tha slow-movin'-Cole Train. Now, in the flip of a switch, they are playing double time.....

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

It's a shame KU doesn't have a decent post coming in next year because I see Withey playing a Sasha Kaun role off the bench the next two years.

JHWK 9 years, 5 months ago

My fear is - after seeing UT dismantle a very good A&M team - that UT will come in with nothing to lose playing on the road at AFH. Our beloved Jayhawks, on the other hand, may come out tight, feeling that they are playing for all the players who have contributed to the win streak, plus playing to remain undefeated, plus playing a very tough team.

With that said, there is also the option to Protect Our Turf!

I hope McM's attitude is the one that prevails. He is DIALED IN lately, and will hopefully have the whole team very amped up and ready to execute on both ends. No Days Off!!

Rock Chalk!!

waywardJay 9 years, 5 months ago

My fear is that we bank too much on what we saw against AM on a nigth where AM could do no right.

Texas got them for 7 fouls ina span of two minutes in last nights game.

Let that sink in for a second..... 2 minutes, 7 foul tweets... and Bob Knight said it wasn't the officials trying to take over the game, he said it was poor footwork and Defensive awareness.

For a turgeon team, that is a once in a life time deal. It rains in the desert more often than a fundamentals coach has a team fundamentally not prepared.

Turgeon made no excuses, and did everything he could to get his team motivated and They still lost by 20. Interestingly, Gary Johnson seems to have think they ave already won a title after beating a top 10 team. Am is not Kansas, and Kansas is not AM.

Texas may be the only team in conference we can afford to play Brady significant minutes against because Dogus Balbay cannot shoot. Wait, let's look at that another way. Dogus Balbay in a three point contest would be like Mark Mangino in a swimsuit contest. He can drive, pass and play defense, but we can confidentally play Brady on him for 40 minutes and not expect him to get 5 points.

We are consequently deeper versus texas than any other team in teh big 12, because no one else plays a guy like Dogus Balbay, nor can Balbay play against our primary scorers, so it will be Gary JOhnson and Tristen thompson who get the primary charge of stopping both Morris. I like that matchup for us.

On Offense, I expect us to help off Dogus anytime the ball is out of his hands. On Defense, I expect him to pick up one of our two perimeter ballhandlers so it will be incumbant upon whichever he is NOT guarding... to be flawless. If I were to guess he's on Tyshawn because he could cause Tyshawn alot of problems by disrespecting Ty's Jumper.

So, again. To me it comes down to our Three headed monster ( possibly adding a head in typical hydra fashion witha healthy Releford back ) at the 3. Assuming selby 10-14 points, and the morri their customary 30+ - 20... then it comes down to Tyrel's three ball, Mario's mid range, Travis's drive pentrat and lockdown wing presence and Brady's "glue stats" to get the job done.

While I have not been incredibly impressed with Brady, I believe we are stronger at the three defensively and tougher minded as a whole. I expect this to be 10-12 point victory in fairly comfortable fashion.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

"Better, stronger, tougher..." --Self on how KU has to play against Baja Oklahoma

Ooooooh, he's signalling a serious rumble, an XTReme Muscle Fest is in the offing.

Eat hearty boys. And hope you did a couple extra reps on the heavy weights on Monday and Tuesday, so you carry that cut look going into Saturday.

Bring two mouth pieces to the game, also.

DHLS Alert: Weapons of XTReme Muscle converging in the Phog.

Threat Level: RED! No, make that CRIMSON!

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

You must have been reading yesterday's comments about you. This post is garbage! YOu have nothing of value on these forums after your last 2 months.

duanep5ku 9 years, 5 months ago

kushaw I agree he's a troll on this message board and now he's trying to butter up the fan base again until a loss or two happens, so he can start spewing the garbage again on the site.

kthawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Just goes to show what you can do when you stay away from the the incendiary demagoguery about B.M.

Good take!

Craig Colgin 9 years, 5 months ago

I for one will not accept anything fakehawkinbreeder has to say until he apologizes for his BM hating, and that's just what it is. Start there, then maybe I'll decide you have something important to contribute. You have taken it too far.

kkoenig 9 years, 5 months ago

Texas has lost three times: Uconn, Pitt, and, oh yeah, USC. KU plays its game, hits a few threes, and they'll be 19-0.

PhogAdvisory 9 years, 5 months ago

Great article. Unintentionally funny, too. Did anyone else chuckle a little at Thompson's quote: "Every time [the Jayhawks] come down the court, they know what they’re doing." This group of guys has a lot of strengths, but I'd say knowing what they're doing "every time" isn't one of them -- not yet, anyway.

But then again I also loved that Selby just thinks we're "an OK team" right now. That's the Bill Self mentality right there. Always room for improvement!

Thanks for the post. It's great to read about the team from an outside perspective.

Chris Weaver 9 years, 5 months ago

Is there any room for Larry Brown on our bench? ACLB has a nice ring to it. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6041658

Ron Prichard 9 years, 5 months ago

My favorite KU/Texas game of all time. What a comeback! It gives me chills almost four years later...

If the link doesn't work, just search youtube for "kansas basketball vs texas tribute" and pick the first link.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

You know, probably the 2 best games in the last decade at the Phog were both Texas games in 2003 and this one in 2007 and both KU scores ended at 90.

2003: 90-87

2007: 90-86.

I still don't know how that 2007 team lost to UCLA in the Elite 8.

PhogAdvisory 9 years, 5 months ago

That UCLA loss was a rough one, but I'm not sure if I'd consider it surprising. Young guys (zero seniors) worn out from winning a bruiser of a game against SIU two nights before, then they have to go and play a very good Bruins team in UCLA's own backyard. Not to mention no one on the team had EVER played past the first game of the tournament before... It was a raw deal, but I don't remember being particularly upset after that loss, mostly because our guys played their hearts out and it just felt like bad luck and exhaustion did 'em in.

Also because the entire team came back and won it all the next year. Soothes the aches a little bit, that one. :-D

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

Red and Blue KU-B Double E! I guess they are shooting a video on the 22nd. Maybe at the game? No idea! Cool Song!

Hit play on the Red and Blue KU song in the middle of the page.

Ron Prichard 9 years, 5 months ago

I couldn't find it at reverbnation but I did find it on youtube just searching the terms you had in your post. There was a song on the website a few weeks ago about KU just winning or something by Krizz Kaliko or something like that. I think they must be part of the same group because his name is in the song.

Cool song.

Ron Prichard 9 years, 5 months ago

Cool song.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 5 months ago

Damn, I don't know why it did that? Go to search once you hit the link and type in "B Double E" and the song will pop up in the middle of the page.

It sounds like they are shooting a video on Saturday. Maybe at the game? I have no idea, but it's pretty cool.

Lot's of Rap songs coming out about the Jayhawks. I like it.

kthawk 9 years, 5 months ago

For those of you who are waiting for news on DeAndre Daniels, there is a new update at Zagsblog. Basically, it is more hurry up and wait.

KansasComet 9 years, 5 months ago

Another tough game on Saturday against Texas. Hopefully we can put together two highly motivated games in a row. It will be interesting to see, how we play? Obviously Kansas is the best team in the country, when motivated. Love the way Reed stepped up against Baylor. Little was very effective as well. Nice to have options on offense. Last year, we only had one go-to-guy. After the Baylor game, it appears we have several options.

JayhawkPMac 9 years, 5 months ago

As a lifelong KU sports fanatic I am glad we are winning and are undefeated; however, when I watch KU play this season, it has been my belief that KU has yet to put up a complete, convincing (what other word am i looking for...) solid? win against a quality opponent. Of course we have won the games we should have won, but we have some good BigXII opponents coming up (6 ranked currently inside the top 25). I truly believe that this team could make it to the Natl. Championship and win, if they can play to near-full potential, which I don't believe I have seen yet - Am I the only one who thinks this?

hawk_of_ages 9 years, 5 months ago

I'm just a little confused about the dollar signs.

brooksmd 9 years, 5 months ago

Well what little praise you got earlier just went down the toilet. You might want to try some Boudreaux's Butt Paste for that itch from those corn husks.

brooksmd 9 years, 5 months ago

It appears most everybody except you has read this article. I'll save you some time and suggest you skip to the bottom where he talks about "Who's Hot." Hopefully it will cause you such distress you'll toss you're computer out the window and we'll be done with you.

jayhawkinneBRADY 9 years, 5 months ago

KU might make a run at the NC if they keep Brady on the floor as often as Coach Self feels is prudent. We have a number of excellent guards that can produce, but few can provide the glue that holds the team together like Brady. Johnson, Releford, Little, Woolridge, and Teahan all can learn from watching Brady and the rest of the players in the regular rotation. Brady is good for those key moments when the team needs a defensive stop. He rarely has a defensive lapse. A 5th year senior has seldom produced such an outstanding winning percentage during their KU history. All of those minutes he gets are well deserved.

We love you Brady Morningsleeves!

duanep5ku 9 years, 5 months ago

Jayhawkinnebr A troll is a pathetic loser that has nothing better to do in life then to waste all of he-she free time on a Kansas message board ,spewing garbage. You are a troll that is either getting senile in he-she old age,or just to dumb to understand that their is no place on here for your stupidity.

JHawkfan32 9 years, 5 months ago

I heard a bunch of my friends (KU FANS) saying baylor was going to win. Did anyone else hear that?

Ron Franklin 9 years, 5 months ago

I'm excited for the game Saturday. Next to @ Mizzou, I think this will be the Hawks biggest challenge. Now, they may have an off night & lose when they shouldn't, but from a talent stand point & a matchup standpoint, we'll see the hawks pushed to the wire on saturday. wish i could get tickets & see it live.

Craig Colgin 9 years, 5 months ago

I must admit that I felt as if they could lose to Baylor on monday, simply because of the way they have been playing lately. I still felt they could win, but I don't think it was a forgone conclusion. I am somewhat disappointed that it takes almost the entirety of Jayhawk Nation critisizing the poor play of late to get the team fired up enough to pull off that beautiful victory. To me, To deserve to wear the crimson and blue, requires bringing that type of effort at all times, no matter who the foe, no matter what the situation is, or where the game is held. And if you bring the intensity at all times, and you have a bad night and get beat, well, that happens, but I think as Jayhawk Nation, we should never have to talk about anyone having a lack of effort, but that's just me. ROCK CHALK!!

hawk_of_ages 9 years, 5 months ago

Well, it's not like we were having a crappy season before that game. And even in the games that were a struggle (UCLA, Neb.) I didn't see any lack of effort.

duanep5ku 9 years, 5 months ago

I guess we all should feel pretty sorry for an individual who spends all he-she time on a Kansas message board seeking attention. I mean c;mon how pathetic of a life you must have to be on here seeking attention daily,hating on a Kansas player. I guess your off your meds again.

Ron Prichard 9 years, 5 months ago

Wow...I'm shocked Teahen is going to play...I mean with his redshirt and all... But you do know best, neb.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 5 months ago

I saw all of stuff on Brady's defense in the Baylor game vs. Lacedarious Dunn and the link to Yahoo on who's hot. I didn't recall Brady's defensive effort to have really been that good. I was thinking, "what did I miss?" So I came home, and watched the game again.

Seriously, forgetting who's on what side of this debate, the idea that Brady is "hot" after the Baylor game because of defense is just flat incorrect. Maybe part of the "myth."

Here's what I noted as objectively as possible.

First half:

TT guarded Dunn on 16 possessions, In those 16 possessions, Dunn scored zero points. In fact, there were multiple times when TT cut-off the drive, another where TT knocked the ball away for a steal.

Brady guarded Dunn on a total of 7 possessions. In those 7 possessions Dunn scored two baskets, four points. One one, it was an open back door cut where Brady lost hime. Dunn missed the free throw. On another possession, Dunn blew right by him to basket and dished for the open dunk when help D came. Just prior to that, Dunn drove and lost the ball. Brady was right with him.

Second half:

TT guarded Dunn on a total of 16 possessions. Dunn scored 2 points on free throws after a blow-by where TT fouled him. TT had a nice steal from Dunn. Dunn had a fast break 3 when he cherry picked on Baylor's last full possession of the game. 2 of the possessions were during Baylor's run in the 2nd half, but Dunn didn't really touch the ball.

Brady guarded Dunn a total of 14 possessions. Dunn scored 4 points, all on free throws after Brady fouled him. Baylor missed a lob dunk to Dunn. Brady had an additional foul on another Baylor player. 5 of the possessions were during Baylor's little run in the 2nd half, but Dunn didn't touch the ball except for the missed lob.

Both Brady and TT did a nice job in general. But it was very obvious that TT's defense was superior, and really it wasn't close. Brady got beat by Dunn more easily, TT only got beat once. There were many possessions where Dunn, regardless of whether TT or Brady was guarding him, didn't do much. Just stood around, cut a little bit. Both guys tried to deny him the ball, but again, Dunn didn't work that hard to get open. There were many possessions where other guys just shot or Dunn didn't exert himself to get involved. Each had nice plays cutting him off while driving at times. Dunn is a good player, and we really held him to 10 points during important parts of the game (the last 3 was slop in the last minute).

In review of the game, the yahoo article is really just baloney. It is pure fiction. I would suggest that you re-watch the game and see for yourself.

Hank Cross 9 years, 5 months ago

"Dunn didn't work that hard to get open. There were many possessions where other guys just shot or Dunn didn't exert himself to get involved." I'm glad that you brought this up because I didn't remember Dunn trying that hard to get open and/or had plays run for him. I'm not saying that TT's and Brady's defense didn't play a part, but Dunn passive for most of the game.

As for Rivals, "Cow" Chip Brown is considered a valuable contributor and all he did was run DeLoss Dodds's disinformation campaign during the realigment last Summer.

Dan Harris 9 years, 5 months ago

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhsssshhhhhhhhhhh! nobodies listening,crickets.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 5 months ago

Has anybody ever questioned the avatar that this genius/enigma chose? What are those, pickles, cucumbers or what? I may not want to know, but curiosity does persist.

Kit Duncan 9 years, 5 months ago

Let me repost this since it was as a reply to an earlier post:

This from the http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketba... Kansas Team Report:

That's "Head" Coach Bill Self who, it appears, thinks very highly of Brady's play. In the second half against Baylor it was Tyrel or Brady bringing the ball up court instead of Tyshawn. Obviously Coach Self felt he needed Tyrel and Brady to protect the ball into the front court.

Brady may not have been as lock-down a defender on Dunn as stated in the article. However, the quote of Bill Self about Brady and Tyrel not turning over the ball is something people should consider about how Coach sees Brady's contribution to this team.

There are plenty of scorers on this team and Bill Self obviously covets every possession, so someone has to get the ball into the hands of the scorers. In league play Brady is number one on the team with 10 assists to 1 turnover. Tyrel is next with 8 assists to 1 turnover and third best is Tyshawn with 10 assists to 10 turnovers! Everyone else is in negative numbers.

So, all you Brady bashers listen up! Brady Morningstar is one of the most important members of this year's team, and Coach Self is the one who makes the decisions whether to play him, not you!

waywardJay 9 years, 5 months ago

Tyshawn-56 Josh-29 Tyrel-12 Elijah-12 Travis-12 Mario-9 Brady-23

This is turnovers for the season so far...... Personally, I would rather trust Elijah,Travis or Mario... assuming tyrel shouldn't leave the court in late game situations unless we are up by 20

We do not dispute in anyway the effect TYrel Reed has on a game....

If Brady is the third most likely Guard to turn the ball over, Bill needs to reanalysize this approach.... Because according to stats, Any of the guards not named TYshawn or Josh would be a better bet to handle the ball in crunch time than Brady Morningstar.

waywardJay,

Self keeps trying to do exactly what you say, but the guys keep not performing and the leads erode against anything but cupcakes.

The analytical problem is this: EJ, Travis and Mario get lots of minutes against the weak teams, where we have blow outs, but and much less against the good teams. This biases what you see in their numbers.

They have made good numbers mostly on cupcakes, then when Self puts them in against tough defensive (or really physical) teams, bad choices and TOs drive the score the wrong direction and he pulls them quick to pre-empt further damage. This keeps their numbers looking better than they are.

So: Reed's, but especially Morningstar's, stats are biased toward the tough teams and the tougher situations.

A coach substitutes to rest, to reverse an unfavorable trend in the margin, or the MU. When the lead diminishes, or bad choices are being made, he is apt to make a change. When he sees an MUA for someone on his bench, he is apt to make a change. When he substitutes for MUA, or a blow, or a diminishing lead, as Self tends to do when he brings EJ, Travis, or Little, he is going to pull if the score moves adversely, if they make bad choices, or TOs.

Board rats complain Self pulls Elijah, Travis and Little pre-emptively, and so rob KU of its superior players.

They complain that by playing Reed and Morningstar, but Morningstar most offen, that Self is playing our inferior players.

But the fact is Self keeps giving EJ, Travis and Little 7-8 minute blocks to show their stuff. And when they perform well, he gives them more. EJ got a big block of time vs. Memphis. Little will likely get more vs. Texas, because of his good showing against Baylor. Travis was trending up vs. cupcakes till he hurt his ankle.

jaybate 9 years, 5 months ago

The evidence is pretty plain that who ever plays well, when Self puts them in gets to keep playing.

And when no one is playing particularly well, Self resorts to Reed and Morningstar to maximize the chances of the Twins winning the game.

This doesn't seem like quantum mechanics to me.

Self plays who plays well, whenver they play well, and he goes conservative with Reed and Morningstar, his seniors, when they don't.

This is imminently sensible.

It has produced an18-0 record.

What has made it difficult for board rats to reconcile the above with is that Brady has had a big slump at the same time that EJ, Travis and Mario have either struggled, been injured, or been suspended, and so missed their windows for exploiting Brady's slump. Now, Brady is playing better and EJ has slumped a bit, Travis is coming back slower than expected, and Mario appears in position to capitalize, but is needed more often at the 4, because TRob can't hit FTs.

What I would advise all of the board rats that feel so passionately about EJ, Travis and Mario is this: don't worry even a little. No matter what, if EJ, Travis and Mario really are as superior as some think, it is inevitable that they finally show it.

It is a much more positive fan experience to be super excited about Brady and Reed playing well enough to get KU to 18-0, as much as Reed and Brady are playing, and know that EJ, Travis and Mario are inevitably going to displace them (if in fact they are as much better as some board rats believe), than to expend a lot of energy interpreting stats to support an argument that EJ, Travis and Mario should already be playing ahead of Tyshawn, Reed, Selby and Morningstar.

Ah, but we are blessed to have all these fine players who Self finds ways to mesh together to go 18-0.

Rock Chalk!

hawk_of_ages 9 years, 5 months ago

This is very well said. I agree 100 percent, Jaybate. I would love to see the younger, sexier recruits get more and more minutes, but not at the expense of wins.

ParisHawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Clarity! Just one thing: you assume that Self is right to want to win games and go 18-0. Some posters appear to disagree; they'd rather risk losses to "develop" more talented players for March.

The entire season is mere practice for a UNI rematch.

This is the underlying cause of so many disagreements here, yet it's not explicitly discussed that much.

Self has a 69-game home Allen winning streak, a streak of 6 conference championships, multiple conference tourney wins and only 3 non-Allen losses in the last two years. He must care about that stuff more than some of us.

Why don't we have the NCAA Tournament in November from now on? Then we could enjoy the season...

Jack Wilson 9 years, 5 months ago

NavyHawk: Unsure as to why you would limit your assist/turnover references to solely league play .. for the season, the two best assist to turnover ratios belong to Reed (35 assists/12 turnovers) and EJ (33 assists/12 turnovers). Brady is 44 assists to 23 turnovers.

Really, Brady's best contribution is defensively (but not to the level of the myth); and he does an excellent job poking the ball away, on steals, etc. He is one of the best passers on the team, as well. The main negatives are his inablity to score, and lack of quickness. That's not bashing. It's reality. Brady is a serviceable role player.

And, yes, we all realize coach Self is the one that makes the decisions. An excellent piece of information, I must admit.

Kit Duncan 9 years, 5 months ago

The reason I made reference to league play is because that's where the team is playing now. Take away the earlier games since they are in essence a pre-season scrimmage to get to league play. Of course Coach doesn't like to see mistakes in any game no matter who the competition is, but his approach is, "Who's protecting the ball the best now and getting it to the scorers!"

Right now Coach Self is playing with a low risk / high reward style, meaning protect the ball, pass inside to the bigs, get the high percentage basket. If the inside isn't available, pass back out to an open Selby or Reed for the three. So far that style of play has worked pretty well for this year's team. Brady's role might not have been the same at the season's beginning, but it has evolved into one of a defensive, protect the ball, pass to the open shooter, role.

His shots, when taken have not fallen as we would like, but I still believe Brady has been a glue player for this team.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 5 months ago

We just have to disagree on what stats are relevant. But I don't disagree with you that Self loves the guy. If he can get hot, get his 3 ball % up to 35%, we would have a parade. I would agree that 1 turnover in 3 games is a good thing.

Helen Gross 9 years, 5 months ago

I know this way off the subject but I noticed that the game against Co on the 25th is on big 12 network. What and where do I find that?

Edward Daub 9 years, 5 months ago

DIREC TV - ESPN Full Court Package is what I have. It is great! I get all the Jayhawk Network and Big 12 Network Games with it.

Adam Evans 9 years, 5 months ago

Random post of the day:

Chad Ford's list of Jayhawks in his Top 100 NBA prospects list (based about 2 weeks ago) and where they are projected to go in the draft if they declared after this current season according to scouts currently:

1. Josh Selby Top 10
  2. Marcus Morris Mid to Late First
  3. Thomas Robinson Late First or Early Second
  4. Markieff Morris Late Second to Undrafted
  5. Tyshawn Taylor Late First to Early Second

not surprised on any of them really. Marcus isn't higher because he doesn't have the NBA size to fit his true position of a versatile PF, TRob has almost no ceiling right now, Markieff is solid but could be stronger/versatile on offense, and TT is an enigma with great potential but lacks the focus to reach it, minimal range on jumper and turnover prone, but great hands on defense and great first step to the goal.

Interesting list. I think after this season we lose Selby and Marcus, but the rest come back. They have too much to prove. Let's bring home another banner while we got 'em!