Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Keegan

Tyrel Reed steadies Jayhawks

Kansas guard Tyrel Reed roars after a dunk by teammate Thomas Robinson against Baylor during the first half on Monday, Jan. 17, 2011 at the Ferrell Center in Waco, Texas.

The NCAA required Josh Selby to sit out Kansas University’s first nine games for accepting extra benefits.

Mario Little sat six games for the behavior that led to his middle-of-the-night arrest.

Brady Morningstar lost his jumper 10 games ago.

Tyshawn Taylor seemingly tightened up his game at the beginning of the season and then regressed.

Travis Releford forced his way into the rotation with terrific all-around play, but sprained his ankle and has missed the past three games.

Thomas Robinson has improved a great deal and has given the team an energy boost off the bench, but still travels too often and commits too many fouls.

Elijah Johnson, suspended the first two games, has improved his shot and tightened up his turnovers, but hasn’t progressed as rapidly defensively.

Even the reliable, consistent twins have had their downer moments, each with a temper flare-up that cost them minutes.

Even with all the personnel changes, brought on by suspensions and injuries, and unsteady performances, Kansas has managed to make it through the first 18 games of its season undefeated and ranked second in the nation.

When figuring out how the Jayhawks have negotiated through so many changes without changing the number in the loss column, don’t forget to send credit the way of the team’s steadiest presence, senior shooting guard Tyrel Reed of Burlington.

A two-time Academic All-Big 12 first-team selection, Reed leads the team in minutes per game (27.7) and assists-to-turnover ratio (2.9). He ranks second to Selby (2.1) with 1.9 made three-pointers per game and as a scorer ranks behind only Marcus (17.2) and Markieff (13.2) Morris and Selby (12.1) with 9.4 points per game.

Unlike in years past, it’s more than just his long-range touch that motivates coach Bill Self to keep him in games for so many minutes.

“I think I’m more of a complete player,” Reed said during a recent pre-practice interview. “I’ve been able to drive better and be more aggressive. I think that just comes with confidence and being a senior.”

Reed already has earned his undergraduate degree and is enrolled in 12 credit-hours of classes. He intends to get an advanced degree in physical therapy at KU Medical School, but isn’t sure when he’ll do that.

“I talked to the PT school and I can defer my acceptance for a couple of years,” Reed said. “I’m excited about that.”

He’s excited because he might have the opportunity to play basketball professionally, which would enable him again to use the sport to pay for his education. Plus, he loves playing the game, and if somebody is willing to pay him to do that, why not?

“I’d love to see what my opportunities are in that direction and just kind of go where the wind blows me,” Reed said.

It’s likely to blow him to Europe or South America or to a professional league somewhere else overseas.

“That would be OK with me,” Reed said. “Go see the world, experience some things that I wouldn’t otherwise have the opportunity to experience.”

For now, he’s enjoying wearing the uniform he grew up picturing himself wearing.

Comments

Scott Oswalt 8 years, 9 months ago

Reed has really stepped it up this year! Ku will miss his leadership next season. Keep on draining that 3 ball!!!

87BurnUp 8 years, 9 months ago

Simply put: No Tyrel Reed this year, no undefeated Jayhawks.

ilovetrob 8 years, 9 months ago

he really has kicked it up this year and is playing extremely consistant!

KU_Alumn_2000 8 years, 9 months ago

Tyrel Reed <---One of my all time favorite Jayhawks !!!

Ashwin Rao 8 years, 9 months ago

+1 mine too! We will miss his presence next year.

JRandall 8 years, 9 months ago

Absolutely. He is the glue and the leadership on the court. He is reminding me of Kirk H. I think this will truly show next year when he is not around. HIs bball IQ is extremely high and next year we need a new floor general to step in and keep all the talent and hot heads in check.. TT and EJ will never do this for KU, both make terrible decisions with the ball and just are not leaders.

Trey Hohman 8 years, 9 months ago

He could play in Europe next season....Maybe potentially be a caucasian Leandro Barbosa....I wish KU had red-shirted him freshman year.

John Randall 8 years, 9 months ago

Tyrel and Coach Self both believe "Student Athlete" is the right order to put things into. With another (crimson-shirt) year, I guess he could have milked his scholarship for at least one more degree, but he wasn't raised on a dairy farm.

My father was my coach (f-ball, wrestling) and I can testify there are few better places to grow up than in a locker room. The attitudes of EWYG (earningwhatyouget) and MDWWWH (makedowithwhatwehave) become inculcated pretty deeply.

jayhawker_97 8 years, 9 months ago

right on, mr. Keegan. nice article. Reed has been impressive this season, even when he scored a nip during a couple of games. most notably, his rebounds and aggressiveness to the basket have made KU a better team.

Alohahawk 8 years, 9 months ago

I've often pictured Reed in the role of a Steve Kerr (Chicago). And who says white guys can't jump? If Reed has a vertical of 40", that's pretty dang good. It would probably make ESPN's highlights if he were to ever get a lob dunk. The fieldhouse would go nuts!! As well as all of us in the TV audience.

Great job, Tyrel. You make all us Kansas home growns proud.

Brianna Zaleski 8 years, 9 months ago

I love Reed, but I wish people would stop making him out to be this freak athlete. I've never seen him dunk on a fast break (and he has had more than ample opportunity to do so) and earlier this year when he got thrown a lob, he got hung on the rim. There is no way he has a 40" vertical. He maybe the fastest or the player w/ the most hustle, but he is not our best pure athlete. He is what he is, a consistent, good shooting hard nose white farm boy. And let's face it, we need players like that on a team.

Stephen Johnson 8 years, 9 months ago

I've heard that Elijah Johnson is our best athlete overall. I don't know if that's true or not.

Stephen Johnson 8 years, 9 months ago

kureignman 8 years, 9 months ago

You've never seen him dunk so he obviously can't have a 40 inch vertical?! What about in the last game where he got a rebound over Morris? Just because he's not flashy doesn't mean he's not athletic.

Brian Leiker 8 years, 9 months ago

Check out his high jump records in high school. Coach has confirmed his 40 inch vertical. He's a walking ball of muscle. Less than 4% body fat.

swkid 8 years, 9 months ago

Watch some dunks from Tyrel during Late Night. He can get up. Just because he doesn't do it in the game, doesn't mean he can't.

Marcia Parsons 8 years, 9 months ago

As I remember it, both lobs to Reed for dunks were very badly thrown and he couldn't get his hands on them to dunk. It wasn't that he didn't get high enough. I'd be willing to bet they've done it in practice.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

He also, reportedly, can hang clean more than anyone else on the team... and more than most the football players. Which is tremendously impressive for a guy his size.

bayareajhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

It was confirmed by the coaches last year that Tyrel won every sprint in practice, had the highest vertical leap on the team, and (as LAJayhawk said) could lift more weight than anyone on the team. I remember reading the article on this website and being very surprised.

jayhawksbiggestfan 8 years, 9 months ago

Actually it is a 42 inch vertical and I guess Bill Self is lying to all fans about that. That said what is the big deal about dunking a basketball ? My guess is HCBS is looking for him to shoot and not take a chance of him getting hurt inside doing what bigger players can do better.

John Randall 8 years, 9 months ago

"not our best pure athlete" for certain, but could anyone have done much more to maximize just-above-average natural ability by assiduous application of effort and intelligence?

TR does lead the team in one category – Attitude!

Edward Daub 8 years, 9 months ago

What song is Tyrel singing? Don't be fooled by his choir boy looks, he is a competitor! He has improved steadily through the years.

Woody Cragg 8 years, 9 months ago

This kid desrves a Nat Championship of his own! He's the one guy that this team could ill afford to lose. You'll see next year, hopefully not this one.

JRandall 8 years, 9 months ago

unfortunately this will never happen. TT, EJ, Selby and RR do not have the smarts or unselfish play to ever be a true leader and glue of the team. Esp TT and EJ, they make tremendous plays and then make tremendously stupid plays on the other end. Their is no consistency.

KU79 8 years, 9 months ago

He's been rebounding so well this year, we've started calling them "reedbounds." And more than any other player, when he takes a 3, we're surprised when it doesn't go down.

KU79 8 years, 9 months ago

clevelandjayhawker 8 years, 9 months ago

I hope we can get some of the same things out of Connor next year.....big shoes to fill.... Def a fan of him driving the ball more, he has improved so much this year, hard work is paying off!!!

Stephen Johnson 8 years, 9 months ago

I think Connor can knock down the 3, but my take on Connor is that he is a defensive liability. Not quick enough feet to cover D1 guards.

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

"Bringing It Mid-Week:"

~Tom Keegan bringing it mid week.

Fine writing, Mr. Keegan.

I especially liked the laundry lists of ups and downs that sharply contrasted with Tyrel's steadiness.

Of course, Tyrel has had to fight through a significant shooting slump himself, but he has been "senior steady" in the rest of his game.

~Coach Self bringing it mid season.

The ups and downs noted in Keegs' story also call attention to what a fabulous job Bill Self has done bringing it again this season.

In a rebuilding year, a rebuilding year with a heck of a lot of difficulties already, Self has KU undefeated and ranked second.

Frankly, he's off the charts, even for him, at handling problems this past year. He became the default spokesman for KU during both Scalping-gate and AD-gate. He some how avoided a Henry-gate, when the Henry's moved on down the road with X and CJ transferred to Southern Nazarene University in Oklahoma. He lands Josh Selby and manages to keep the clouds over Josh's relationship with a business manager for Melo, and a brush with Pearl-Gate from raining on KU's parade. Self wisely managed not to get tied to Bubba Cunningham before Bubba backed out. He has warmly embraced Sheahon Zenger yet not drawn himself too close. Oh, and he's been recruiting hard as usual and coaching circles around opposing coaches, while he coaches Xs and Os to his team. Self has taken one third option impact player (Marcus), one starting glue man (Tyshawn), several backups, two red-shirts, and two recruits, and somehow built an undefeated, second ranked team. It is flipping unbelievable. Just an amazing performance!

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

~ C.J. Henry bringing it at Southern Nazarene University--from their web site.

"BETHANY, Okla. — Southern Nazarene's C.J. Henry was named the Sooner Athletic Conference Player of the Week for the week of Jan. 17.

Henry, a 6-4 guard from Oklahoma City, averaged 21 points, three rebounds and 2.5 assists in wins over Oklahoma City and Mid-America Christian. He shot 60 percent from the field, including 5-11 (45 percent) from three-point range, and hit 76.5 percent (13-17) form the free throw line. He also had a block and a steal on the week.

The sophomore scored a career-high 30 points against Mid-America Christian and tied a career-high with five 3-pointers against the Evangels. His 30 points was an SNU season-high."

Sounds like C.J.'s finally getting to ball. Good for him. Sounds like he's finally getting a break and having some fun playing the game. And he's putting enough points on the board to probably get it going over seas.

~The board rats are bringing it too.

This has to be the deepest, most diverse, most thought provoking, and most committed, and most feisty I've seen this logonasium in the years since I've been working out here. And it goes without saying that the board of record for The Legacy is the most knowledgeable college basketball community online in America. But the real grind--conference--is just setting in after the thrill of it starting. January and February, especially mid January to mid February, are when characters of teams and boards are forged. It is when the going gets tough and the tough teams keep pounding it inside and the tough boards keep pounding it into the keyboard.

Rock Chalk!

PVJayhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

"logonasium" ??

Did you make up this word?

Poly

Timmay97 8 years, 9 months ago

Last year it was Morningstar that was the glue that kept this team together. This year it seems to be Reed.

Either way, I don't know what it is, but I feel so comfortable when those two are on the floor together. Regardless of Morningstar's shooting problems, he's our best post feeder. We NEED him to get the ball to the Morris twins. As for Reed, he's not as great a passer, but he's a lethal shooter.

As Bill Self said.....if we can steady our guard play (Taylor the turnover machine), we will be a team to reckon with come tourney time.

jaybate 8 years, 9 months ago

Post Script on C.J.:

If you want to see some video of him, here's a link to the Southern Nazarene University web site for men's basketball. I think they have a feed, or two, though I didn't watch. http://sports.snu.edu/news/2011/1/17/MBB_0117112907.aspx?path=mbball

jayhawker_97 8 years, 9 months ago

thanks for the CJ's news there, Jay. i sure miss his 3s. he could've a great addition to the team off the bench. good luck on your NBA pursuit, CJ!!

SDSurferFan 8 years, 9 months ago

Good article, good posts.

My comment-- Can Tyrel teach Tyshawn had to dribble.

I always loved to watch how players handle the ball with pressure. For me it is one of the most fascinating parts of the game. It's pure basketball. The game is very specialized the days, especially the NBA, but the player who can dribble well is a IMO a complete player.

Tyrel consistently handles the pressure vs much quicker players. Tyshawn turns it over against much slower players.

DDDHawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Tyrell has really stepped it up this year in every way. He has really improved his inside game, both in shots and rebounds, and he is mentally so strong. He has really come up with some buckets for us at crucial points in quite a few games. And that one block he had recently! It was great!

James Miller 8 years, 9 months ago

I think Tyrel could play for an NBA team that has established superstars. He would be a great role player. He is not your average three point specialist. He is a great athlete and he defends. I think he is worth a late second round pick for a team that needs a sharp-shooter.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Wishful thinking, but there is no chance Tyrel gets drafted. I wouldn't count out the possibility of him making an NBA squad at some point, but he'll need to work his way onto it, probably overseas or through the D-League as an undrafted free agent. He won't be drafted.

Sally Presson 8 years, 9 months ago

Love Tyrel!!! Wish he could come back next year, he's really going to be missed. Too bad there's not a 6th year senior. I'd think the pro's would really be interested in him.

lincase 8 years, 9 months ago

For those of us who still cling desperately to our illusions about student athletes, it is nice to see that Tyrel has a degree and a career path for his post-basketball days. If he wants to pursue a professional basketball career, wonderful, but I have had some experience with physical therapists because of my mother's stroke, and I admire them more than I can say.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 9 months ago

Tireless Yet Relentless Effort and a Leader Reaching for Excellence Every Day and every play.

Greg Lux 8 years, 9 months ago

Makes the team better with his non-stop effort and energy. Plus he's just plain GOOD.

Rock Chalk

Alohahawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Hey Oakville, did you realize that the first letters of each line spell Tyrel Reed's name? LOL Nice. Love it.

Michael Luby 8 years, 9 months ago

Great article by Keegan, good read. I do like T Reed, he is a baller. I used to cringe not long ago this season whenever he put up a 3 but now he seems to be getting his stroke back. I hope he gets into a Euro league, that would be much coolness. Maybe even NBA training camps but that might be pushing it a tad.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

I love the enthusiasm for Reed, but you have to step back for a moment with respect to Redick. Now, I hate the guy (seriously, I would cross a busy street just to punch him in the face), but he was an absolute machine in college. He was national player of the year averaging 26.8 PPG his senior year, hitting 42.1% from 3. His career average in college for points is 19.9... a full 10 points more than Reed's HIGHEST year (this year) of 9.4.

Now, I know the argument will be that he isn't needed to score a ton, and that is true. But if Redick was on our team, as a senior he'd be putting up 17-18 a game easily.

Reed is a complete rock for us. I love him on this team. But you have to look at it more realistically. Redick was the 11th overall pick in 2006. Reed will have to work his tail off overseas to even have a shot at being invited to an NBA training camp with the possibility of playing in the D-League. It is possible that he could make an NBA team, and if he does, with his work ethic, who knows what he might do. But you have to be realistic about it.

Of course, I say all of that with the utmost respect for both you and Reed, ralster.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

"Now, I know the argument will be that he isn't needed to score a ton, and that is true."

Sorry, should read "...will be that Reed isn't needed..."

I hate unclear pronouns.....

milehighhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Tyrel Reed could be a slot receiver on Sundays if he wanted!

Stan Unruh 8 years, 9 months ago

14 is one of our favorites.. We need to enjoy watching Tyrel this season.... because we will miss his play next year. Can anyone explain how he was given this first name. Always wondered?

John Randall 8 years, 9 months ago

I thought it was obvious – Dad was a Louis L'Amour fan.

Everyone I admire has read all 17 Sackett novels at least twice.

Justin Carlson 8 years, 9 months ago

REED! MVP in Bill Self's era that is what Tyrel is!!

RESUME

One of the most impressive High-School Players from KS! Hero and Idol not just in Burlington but in all of KS! The hardest worker hands down these past 4 years! Has no baggage or negative press these past 4 years! Academic All American 3 point machine Passing machine Becoming a rebounding machine Dead eye freethrow shooter Handles pressure Leader Developing into a "complete player"

To all the young fathers out there whose children bleed and cry for the Jayhawks let me ask you since Larry Browns era, have we had another KS boy who has his work ethic, heart,and values comparable to Reed's?

Jayhawk Fans enjoy this time we have him because we are witnessing the ultimate KS SPORTS ROLE MODEL FOR OUR KIDS "TYREL REED!"

My crew is proud to wear #14!!

Tyrel keep working your tail off! We are damn proud of what you have become!!

Alohahawk 8 years, 9 months ago

+1 Wayne was very good at all those things, too. And his post KU years have been superior as well. Both are men to be proud of.

And, as you subtlely indicate, you have to add Danny Manning in to the mix when you include the Brown years.

Nice people/players to be associated with and compared to, Tyrel.

PhogAdvisory 8 years, 9 months ago

+1 Was about to write the same thing! Good to see cojay was on the ball there, too. :)

ohmixmaster 8 years, 9 months ago

Wayne was one of my favorite Jayhawks of all time. Total class act. Couple more homegrown Kansans that made pretty good Jayhawks, granted they weren't after LB, but still pretty darn good..

Darnell Valentine Greg Dreiling Mark Turgeon

Kurt Eskilson 8 years, 9 months ago

Steve Woodberry made us pretty proud as a home-grown kid, too.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 9 months ago

Not just Kansans, but all Jayhawks should be proud of Tyrel, whose only true natural ability is a work ethic next to none. He totally made himself an excellent shooter, a dogged defender, a sapling rebounding among the redwoods, a precise passer, a heady player exuding court awareness, focus and leadership, while being a dead-eye foul shooter, a total team player and consummate teammate.

Driven to excellence with stamina, heart and will power, Tyrel is a total competitor as well as an outstanding student, a true sportsman and a credit to college athletes.

Sometimes the value of a player goes beyond the points, rebounds and steals. Tyrel Reed will always be a winner and, at least in my minds eye, his number will always be on that wall in Allen!!

Danny Hernandez 8 years, 9 months ago

Congratulations Tyrel......playing for the college basketball team you dreamed of playing for and being an integral piece to the championship...

Kudos to you and your parents

hawk_of_ages 8 years, 9 months ago

Very good piece, Tom. It may be an obvious point, but it needs to be said: Tyrel really has been our steadiest guy. (He quietly did a very good job for us last season, too.)

Scott Smetana 8 years, 9 months ago

Does he make the top 5 best Kansas basketball players ever list?

Manning #1, then who?

Ron Prichard 8 years, 9 months ago

I love Reed and what he brings to this team, but let's be realistic. Manning, Chamberlain, Lovelette, JoJo White, Pierce, and on and on. His value to this year's team is significant, but he is not one of the top five of all time at KU.

hawk_of_ages 8 years, 9 months ago

I assume he meant from the state of Kansas?

If so, you would have to put Wayne up there maybe at 2. Chris Piper probably outranks Tyrel at this point since he was a linchpin for a title team -- hopefully Tyrel will add that to his resume soon.

Scott Smetana 8 years, 9 months ago

Ya, sorry, I meant went to High School in Kansas.

1. Danny
  2. Wayne Piper, Reed, Boschee is from KS?

Nick Thompson 8 years, 9 months ago

I think Boschee was from North Dakota, if I recall correctly.

Ron Prichard 8 years, 9 months ago

That makes more sense. I know Manning went to high school in Kansas, but I believe he was actually from North Carolina. He only went to HS here when his dad was hired by Larry Brown to be an assistant coach, if my recollection serves correctly. Still, because he went to HS here, we can put him on the list. Boschee was from North Dakota.

Obviously you have Wayne Simien, Tyrel Reed, Chris Piper as candidates. Was Turgeon from Kansas? I think he was from around Wichita if I recall correctly. He may not have been one of the best players, but his resume continues to grow.

This goes back a ways, but I looked at the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame to pull up some other names that we tend to forget because they played so long ago. Believe it or not, all of the following players not only played basketball for KU, they also grew up in Kansas:

Paul Endacott, BH Born, Bill Hougland and Dean Smith.

The first three were probably some of the best basketball players in KU history, so they probably make the team. I don't know how valuable Dean Smith was as a player, but his impact on basketball can't be denied.

All in all, I would have to say Tyrel Reed probably doesn't make the top five, but I would probably put him in the top 10 KU players from Kansas.

Kurt Eskilson 8 years, 9 months ago

Turgeon was a graduate of Hayden High School in Topeka. Steve Woodberry was a solid player from Wichita (not sure exactly which high school) who's certainly worthy of mention.

hawk_of_ages 8 years, 9 months ago

Can't believe I overlooked some of these. OK, here's a provisional ranking:

1. Danny
  2. Paul Endacott (led us to 1920s titles)
  3. B.H. Born (a tourney MOP)
  4. Wayne Simien
  5. Steve Woodberry
  6. Chris Piper
  7. Mark Turgeon
  8. Tyrel Reed

(If Reed helps lead us to a title this year, he could easily move up as high as 4 by my reckoning.)

hawk_of_ages 8 years, 9 months ago

I screwed up the numbering there. Turgeon and Reed would be 6 and 7, not 7 and 8.

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 9 months ago

Wichita South (Steve Eck was the coach, I believe).

Joe Baker 8 years, 9 months ago

kufan- You are right, Eck was the coach

Joe Baker 8 years, 9 months ago

For whatever it's worth, Woodberry is a Wichita High School South product.

Scott Smetana 8 years, 9 months ago

Nice work Hawk of Ages.. I agree completely with your list. I'd love to see him move up to #4!!!

hawkgirl 8 years, 9 months ago

Wasn't Darnell Valentine from Wichita?

hawk_of_ages 8 years, 9 months ago

Yes, someone mentioned that below. I'm sure there are others I forgot too.

So, the question is, does Darnell Valentine rank higher than Wayne? Maybe about even?

Ludwig Supraphonic 8 years, 9 months ago

Love the picture. Love the article and the posts. I'm enjoying this season. Tyrel's enthusiasm and respect for the game is contagious. Thank you for bringing your game to KU. We're lucky to have you.

tis4tim 8 years, 9 months ago

Head up. Mouth shut. Play hard. I love Tyrel's style.

tis4tim 8 years, 9 months ago

I guess the photo above doesn't support my second point, but I think you all know what is meant by that comment...lol.

Gary Wirsig 8 years, 9 months ago

Darnell Valentine would probably be in the top five. Not to mention Kansans who played elsewhere than KU, such as Steve Henson (K-State, McPherson High) and Lucius Allen (UCLA, Wyandotte High).

But I get the point, Tyrel would be high on the list - he is a stud!

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 9 months ago

Yea, I was thinking Darnell Valentine, too! Your mention of Steve Henson and Lucius Allen are good ones, as well. I remember Ken Koenings from Goddard when I was in high school. Probably not in the Top 10, though.

hawk_of_ages 8 years, 9 months ago

D'oh! I knew I'd miss one. OK, Darnell would probably have to be at least tied with Wayne, possibly higher.

(I'll just stick with KU guys, but yes, Henson was an awesome player. Nice callback.)

honk_for_hawks 8 years, 9 months ago

Taj Gray from Wichita East was a hell of a player at OU.

Ludwig Supraphonic 8 years, 9 months ago

Your hatred of Brady has nothing to do with KU basketball. Please get help.

kthawk 8 years, 9 months ago

I thought we banned you...must be some oversight. No doubt we will get it worked out soon enough. Just to make it clear, go ahead and clear out your desk and hit the road.

Your fired!

SDSurferFan 8 years, 9 months ago

Kirk was a better scorer, creator, and slasher! No offense to Tyrel.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 9 months ago

I posted this below on anothe thread related to Blownjay's suggestion of Brady or Reed at the point guard ---

Ok, with that, I am intrigued by the idea of Brady at the point made by Blownjay. I made the point after the Nebraska game that Brady created some opportunities by his penetration. Something that TT struggles with. TT had one nice drive a dish vs. Baylor. But the mind set that we would get from Brady (or Reed) would be drive with the intention of dishing, as opposed to the apparent TT mindset of drive with the intention of scoring.

In judging a point guard, I'd want:

1) Quickness (first step explosion); 2) Speed (basic point A to point B speed); 3) Passing ability (the ability to safely deliver the ball); 4) Creating ability (the ability and willingness to create scoring opportunities); 5) Ballhandling (the ability to reliably handle the ball at all times); 6) Court Awareness (really, to permit an effective open court game on the break); 7) Leadership (respect of teammates, knowledge of the game); 8) 3 ball threat (to hold his defender).

Do either Reed or Brady fit the criteria better than TT, Selby, or EJ? Here's how I judged each on a 1 - 5 scale, 1 the best, 5 the worst (in order of the categories above):

TT: 2, 1, 3, 4, 3, 2, 2, 4 = 21 Selby: 1, 2, 3, 2, 3, 3, 4, 1 = 19 EJ: 3, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2 = 22 Reed: 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 2, 1, 1 = 17 Brady: 4, 5, 1, 2, 4, 3, 1, 4 = 24

Of course, these are just my opinion and inexact. I think the thing that suprised me most was that Reed came out on top. I personally value ballhandling and creating ability the most of any of the categories. In those two, Selby would top the chart, but TT would be last.

Selby got downgraded for leadership .. that may not be very important. I mainly did that because he is a freshman.

Entertainment purposes only.

KU_FanSince75 8 years, 9 months ago

Tyrel may not be a Kirk Heinrich but is our main floor leaders. He will be missed after this season. I just hope to God, for Tyrel's sake, we can make it to the NC, and then, just win the dang thing! Rock Chalk!

Scott Smetana 8 years, 9 months ago

Just watched the National Championship again. Wow, could Collins handle the ball. It was nice when he wasn't a focal point of the offense. I don't think we have anyone close currently that can handle the rock that well. I see Selby the only candidate besides TT, but he won't be ready for that until next year.... i think.

Also, wow did Arthur have some big shots in the final 2 minutes.

Scott Smetana 8 years, 9 months ago

I bought the Final 4 DVD from CBS.... It cuts out alot of the good pre/post game stuff I still have on my DVR. I also love my RockChalk Championship DVD which highlights the entire season all the way to the parade. I didn't know there was a 6 game DVD set. Where did u buy that?

I was at the Davidson game in Detroit. It was NOT fun.

hawk_of_ages 8 years, 9 months ago

Hey, the last time we played Duke we won -- 2003 tourney.

Coincidentally, that was when the aforementioned Hinrich faced off against the aforementioned Redick. Kirk completely shut down J.J., but had a poor offensive game himself -- which didn't matter because Collison dominated.

ohmixmaster 8 years, 9 months ago

Yes, and Yes he did. I think it was 34 points or something crazy like that. I remember Nick owning Casey Sanders and that putz who transferred from Rutgers. The Elite 8 game was a real nail biter against Zona where Collison was quiet and Hinrich went off (and blocked a shot at the end to solidify the win along with a great charge Langford drew).

ohmixmaster 8 years, 9 months ago

Whoa! Where did you get this DVD? I'd love to have a really high quality video of the FF and Finals. I have them recorder, but it was before I got high def, and now on my new TV they look bloody awful. All 6 would be incredible.

jayhawksbiggestfan 8 years, 9 months ago

Kudos to all who posted all the nice things about Tyrel. Imagine this. Somewhere in the not to distant future I see Tyrel coming back to KU as an assistant coach of sorts. Teaching fundamentals to newbies.. I would love to hear some feedback from all of you on this. One day I could see him 20 years day down the road even being a head coach somewhere. Maybe Kansas. Either way I do believe he will end up in that position somewhere , someplace in time. Your thoughts ?

jayhawksbiggestfan 8 years, 9 months ago

I believe he has all the things, say Mark Turgeon does for A&M.

Matt1958 8 years, 9 months ago

I've posted many times the last 3 years that Tyrel was, is, and will be a great contributor to KU's success. I have mainly gotten replies that basically said I was an idiot. More than once, I read replies that said Reed had no business playing D1 ball. Well...........................

John Randall 8 years, 9 months ago

Having posted it above, let me repeat myself –

Tyrel Reed is this year's best Jayhawk in one category: Attitude!

ROCK CHALK! GO 'HAWKS!