Wednesday, January 19, 2011

KU’s Bill Self ‘not too excited’ after win

Kansas head coach Bill Self yells at his defense as Baylor cuts the lead during the second half on Monday, Jan. 17, 2011 at the Ferrell Center in Waco, Texas.

Reader poll

Who is KU's best bench player?

• Travis Releford 11% 619 votes
  • Elijah Johnson 1% 105 votes
  • Brady Morningstar 14% 789 votes
  • Mario Little 5% 292 votes
  • Thomas Robinson 65% 3543 votes
  • Jeff Withey 1% 55 votes
  • Other 0% 21 votes

5424 total votes.

One of the 35 NBA scouts at Monday’s Kansas-Baylor basketball game briefly interrupted a Bill Self media session in a hallway in Ferrell Center.

“Beautiful basketball, Bill,” the talent evaluator said as he walked briskly past KU’s coach, following the No. 2-ranked Jayhawks’ 85-65 victory over the Bears.

“Thanks,” Self replied, before returning to the topic at hand — pretty, unselfish KU play that resulted in 53 first-half points off amazing 79.3 percent shooting.

“I’m not too excited,” Self said. “This is not the same team I see in practice every day. We were better than what we’ve been practicing. Where we are right now is we are a team that has a chance to be really good. When we get more consistent guard play ... I think our ceiling is high.”

Frontcourt players Marcus and Markieff Morris, who combined for 44 of KU’s points and 14 of KU’s 27 rebounds, dominated Monday’s game.

“The twins were the best players in the game, but I thought everybody played well, especially the first half,” Self said.

Two of KU’s guards produced big-time on the offensive end. Josh Selby scored 12 points off 5-of-11 shooting (two of six threes) and Tyrel Reed 11 points off 4-of-8 shooting (three of five threes).

“We had four turnovers in the first four minutes and two the last 16,” Self said of the opening 20 minutes. “The ball really moved and they were crisp passes and we drove to pass. We played through the high post pretty well. That was a big key (in attacking BU’s 2-3 zone), playing through the high post.”

The Jayhawks have seen a lot of zone defenses this season.

“We did a good job of being patient and getting some easy baskets,” Self said. “You don’t shoot 79 percent unless you are able to get some shots inside. We shot the ball well behind the arc, five of nine the first half (seven of 18 for game), but we got a lot of baskets inside three and four feet, which is sometimes hard to do against the zone.”

On the defensive end, guards Tyshawn Taylor (six points, four assists) and Brady Morningstar (no points, three assists) shadowed Baylor senior LaceDarius Dunn, the Big 12’s scoring leader, who hit for just 13 points off 3-of-9 shooting.

“Brady probably guarded him 15 minutes; Tyshawn 20 (or so),” Self said. “We went triangle and two a couple possessions and (Anthony) Jones made a three. We got out of that (quickly).”

Dunn needed a three with just 38 seconds left to extend his school-record streak of games with a three to 31. He made just one of three treys.

“He’s terrific. The best scorer in our league,” Self said. “I thought we did a good job limiting his good touches, a good job of shadowing him with other guys off ball screens. The thing we didn’t do well with him and the whole team is we fouled way too much (BU hit 20 of 26 free throws to KU’s eight of nine). For the most part we did a good job of awareness of where LaceDarius was the whole time.”

Scout team excels: KU assistant Kurtis Townsend filled in for Self on Tuesday’s weekly Hawk Talk radio show. Self was out recruiting. Townsend cited some unlikely heroes who helped the Jayhawks shred Baylor’s zone defense.

“Our scout team did an unbelievable job (at Sunday’s practice and Monday’s shootaround). Tyshawn mentioned last night how well they simulated Baylor’s zone defense. He said it was so hard to score against our scout defense. They did an unbelievable job preparing us,” Townsend said.

The scout team generally consists of red-shirts (Conner Teahan, Justin Wesley) and those players not in the regular rotation.

Funny stuff: Baylor’s student section broke into a wild rendition of “Peanut Butter Jelly Time” from Family Guy when Mario Little strolled to the free throw line in the second half.

“I know Mario was getting ready to shoot the free throw and he started laughing,” Townsend said. “Somebody showed me the clip this morning. It’s pretty funny.”

Little did sink both free throws on a night he scored 10 points in seven minutes.

Releford recovering: As Self said after Monday’s game, it looks as if Travis Releford, who missed the last three games, may play Saturday against Texas (3 p.m., Allen Fieldhouse).

“He had the (left) ankle sprain (in first half of Jan. 9 game at Michigan). We thought he wouldn’t miss much time. It swelled up pretty good the two days after,” Townsend said. “He went through workouts 50 percent to game time (Monday). He’s been getting three treatments a day. I’d expect to see him on the floor Saturday.”

Comments

Glen Darge 3 years, 2 months ago

Josh Selby hasn't showed me a thing. He should be pulled or benched. He can't do anything consistantly much less lead or pass. Why wasn't robinson sent home to be with his family? With the win-loss record our team has, we could afford to let him be with his family Win or loose.

FairgroveJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

The ceiling raised everywhere with the win against Baylor; practice, games, with the media, with the coach, and with the fans. It's good to see the Jayhawks play that well against a solid opponent on the road. Now Coach has the means to say, "this is how I've been wanting you to play", "this is how you need to do it". I think practices have taken on a new focus. It can only bring their average play closer to their ceiling.

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

The picture of Self at the top of the page--is it just me or does he not look a bit like Menoch the Basketball Coach in Anne Rice's new series of Vampire Basketball Novels?

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

DevilHawk,

KenPom, like so many sports statisticians, and increasingly like so many scientists, makes estimates and predictions based on nonparametric inference, which has no valid logic connecting sample to population, and, so, no valid justification for making inferences from a sample about a population at any level of confidence.

So: why not use + and - stats with huge variations, because none of it means much anyway.

I have studied and used parametric and nonparametric statistics for longer than I care to remember and here is what I have learned.

One is almost always wrong with both kinds of statistics, because of emergent complexity and unforeseen consequences, but there is something enobling about being validly wrong, rather than invalidly wrong.

DevilHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Interesting blog post by Ken Pom regarding Plus-Minus numbers and analysis: http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/a_treatise_on_plus_minus/

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

Finally Eddied gets his Mepps freed up and looks Bill staight in the eye, serious as a Father telling his son the facts of life."

"Don't you dare play him at the PG, Billy Boy, until next season, if there be a next season for the kid, exceptin' for just occassional showin'. Josh, though his life after this season will be about revelatin' at the PG, this season was born to deliver your team with clear outs down the stretch, what you hoped for Xavier to do last year, but what he did not do enough. Shoot, you and I could go out, even at our ripe old ages, and play PG for Marcus and Kieff and win 25 the old fashioned way. But I'll tell you what. If you clear out the side for this Josh in the tournament, after player 8 minutes of sound ball the way I learned ya, then cut him loose about once every 4 minutes, the rest of the game, why you will have the opposition not knowin' whether to piss or say vinegar. You catch my drift, son?"

And Bill Self, who was the only assistant Eddie ever had that he never repeat anything twice for, said, "Here, Coach, this six pounder is for you. Fire up that Honda and get me back to the dock. I've got an idea for a whole sequence of clear outs, and I gotta punch'em into my lap top and get it back to Joe in Lawrence before he leaves for the day."

And Eddie put his War Eagle on plane and from that moment on, Josh was a secret weapon on the wing waiting to be unleashed in February.

The End.

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

"Billy, Billy, Billy, have you fergotten every thing I taught you. Nothin' in Eddie Ball is either/or. You don't have to park Josh out their like some darned fleet car at the Trifectaville air port, fer gosh sakes. There's always intermediate steps to take. You give him a month and a half with 10-11 FGAs per game. Let him develop at least a lick'o'sense about D1 speed and about gettin' guarded B12 style. Integrate him slow like. You know them bigs is gonna have their usual little coniption fits when they have to get used to playin' with him. You know big men, Bill. They ain't like us ol' piss ant guards. We been adapting to things since our mothers plucked from their teats. But the bigs? Well, they're like elephants in a way. Little things distract their routines in a big, big way. You give Josh 10 FGAs and tell him to guard somebody, get a rebound, strip a couple, and hold his TOs to 3-4, which you'll scold him just a little for, and he'll be as distracted and occupied as a young stallion in a corral with rattle snake."

"But then what, coach?" Self says as he nets a bass, he has no intention of cleaning, thinkin' maybe Sean, or Scott will do that as a favor.

"Come on, Bill, you know what. You be drawin' up a dozen plays and perfectin' them in practice all through January, and then come the back nine on the conference games, when the suckers around the B12, think they got you figured, you start playin' through Super Josh about 3-5 plays a game. Not enough for your bigs to need absorbents for their shorts, but enough to show that you got a third arrow in your quiver to go along with Marcus and Kieff. You clear Marcus and Kieff out to far side of that painted wood, tell the other boys to go run around the trey stripe thinkin' about their girl friends, and let Josh rip'em 4-5 new ones a game. Make sure it looks great on game tape. Let that pin headed Hubert Davis see it, so he runs pantin' to Coach Consonants down in Cancerville, tellin' all about how this flippin' Okie is pissin' on Henry's grave by clearin' out the side for this super star that moves at the speed'a'light. Get ever body all shook up, Billy Boy. Then pull back to play through them bigs the first two games of the Madness. Then start showin' Josh one game and not the other in the sixteen and eight. Then sit back and listen to Matta and Coach Consonants cursing you up one side and down the other for not sayin' when you're gonna play Okie Ball and when you're gonna clear it out."

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

So Bill took Cin and the kids for a little get away to ol Eddie's place down on Grand Lake of the Cherrokees not long after he landed Josh. Alone, out Eddie's War Eagle, probably named something like The High and Dry," or something, Wild Bill looked at Eddie over some Liptons , and he said, "Whattya say, Edward, is Josh more like Derek Rose, or more like John Wall?"

And Edward, jiggin' the rod with the Mepps hooked on a rock, says, "You wanna wind up like me here on this rock, you start Josh at PG from the git go, Billy Boy. Josh is great point guard prospect, but he's like John Daniels. He needs to stay in the oak awhile, especially with Marcus already aged 12 years and smoooooooooooooooth! You saw what happened to the Crisco Kid down in Lexington last season. He wasted a potential ring team by trying to age Wall to fast. You can't really rush a PG kid. By the end, Billy Boy, everyone on that team full of illiterates knew Wall could not hold down the TOs low enough for them to get to Canaan in a canoe, including Wall himself. So, then, Billy Boy, the Crisco Kid, he had to junk all that they had been building, and turn Wall into a skinny Aaron Miles, and just have him slow down and feed the bigs to git the FG % up and the TOs down, and a respectable team. So many folks these days, Billy Boy, they just don't know enough to want respectable team. They want flash and dash. Don't drag your Mepps into the rocks, son."

Self sets a hook in a large mouth and starts reeling, and being the multi tasker he is, keeps talking about Josh.

"But coach, this Josh, I've waited my whole career for a lickety split that can guard, and score at will. I can't sit him out on a wing and just tell him to jump shoot. it ain't right. It isn't!"

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

Lebowski sayin' Selby strugglin'. Check.

Lebowski and kushaw sayin' get the ball in Selby's hands with more scripted plays, maybe clear outs, er, ummm....this will come in February, when he gets some kinks worked out, if he does.

Josh the Rippers, who I am just as high on as any one is, is already assigned 10-11 FGA per game. For perspective, Sherron only got assigned 15 FGAs per game in his junior year when he was packing the team animal on his stocky back alone. Give Josh the Ripper at least another month to work the kinks out, please!

Further, Josh already avgs. more TOs than a pop tart factory, with out palm dribbling and initiating the ball for a living at the point.

So long as Marcus and Kieff are able to average 55-60% on FGAs, the stochastic reality is my beloved Josh the Ripper is a cog this season.

As I've said before, what we're watching with Josh is what Self learned from Gianni Crisco with Wall at UK last campaign.

Wall, so long as Gianni Crisco tried to play through him, was not just an employee at the pop tart factory, he was the factory. And his FG percentage, especially from Trifectaville, got caught in the trap of the toilet, when he tried to run the team.

Gianni Crisco finally had to wake up and smell the espresso in late January and start playing through his bigs, Demarcus Doughboy and alliterative Pat Patterson to get the TOs low enough and the FG% high enough to play serious stretch ball.

And Self was watching. And I can only guess about what happened next and what was said, but here is my deep fried hypothesis.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 3 months ago

Man, I get on here with the best of intentions, and then more Brady debate. I am thus compelled to hit on the points above from midhawktx, blownjay, kushaw, oxcal, et. al. -- all good points.

One great point by midhawktx -- Brady's shooting. The guy is leaning into all of his jumpers and that is something that is a key, fundamental flaw. I think he can get that corrected.

Ok, with that, I am intrigued by the idea of Brady at the point made by Blownjay. I made the point after the Nebraska game that Brady created some opportunities by his penetration. Something that TT struggles with. TT had one nice drive a dish vs. Baylor. But the mind set that we would get from Brady (or Reed) would be drive with the intention of dishing, as opposed to the apparent TT mindset of drive with the intention of scoring.

In judging a point guard, I'd want:

1) Quickness (first step explosion); 2) Speed (basic point A to point B speed); 3) Passing ability (the ability to safely deliver the ball); 4) Creating ability (the ability and willingness to create scoring opportunities); 5) Ballhandling (the ability to reliably handle the ball at all times); 6) Court Awareness (really, to permit an effective open court game on the break); 7) Leadership (respect of teammates, knowledge of the game); 8) 3 ball threat (to hold his defender).

Do either Reed or Brady fit the criteria better than TT, Selby, or EJ? Here's how I judged each on a 1 - 5 scale, 1 the best, 5 the worst (in order of the categories above):

TT: 2, 1, 3, 4, 3, 2, 2, 4 = 21 Selby: 1, 2, 3, 2, 3, 3, 4, 1 = 19 EJ: 3, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2 = 22 Reed: 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 2, 1, 1 = 17 Brady: 4, 5, 1, 2, 4, 3, 1, 4 = 24

Of course, these are just my opinion and inexact. I think the thing that suprised me most was that Reed came out on top. I personally value ballhandling and creating ability the most of any of the categories. In those two, Selby would top the chart, but TT would be last.

Selby got downgraded for leadership .. that may not be very important. I mainly did that because he is a freshman.

Entertainment purposes only.

HAWKTOPIA 3 years, 3 months ago

The hawks may lose a few players, and others may soon arrive, but when danny manning isn't coaching our bigs, and moves on to his next head coaching job, we will have lost the most.

ajhk 3 years, 3 months ago

OMG, Bill Self is such a Negative Nancy!

He better not post here on this board- take that as a warning Bill!

"When we get more consistent guard play..." Bill, there is no reason to trash our guards. Honestly, why don't you just leave it to the coach, I think he would know best, Bill! Now go away and stop ruining the season for all the optimists.

Totally serious post. Like so totally serious dude. Malice intended?

Rock Chalk!

BTW- all you guys lay off Jaybate's inability to earn employment.
Do you know how hard it is to roll 800lbs of fatty flesh off a flattened bed and through shrunken doorways before crapping yourself? Hardly achievable, and as he'll tell you, it's a freak'n days work!

Jeez, just try spending a day not able to escape your own scat plop dookie clouds! -or was that scatter plot data?

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 3 months ago

It looks like Coach Gill landed another 4-star athlete who had offers from Arkansas, K-State, & Illinois among others.

HawkBBall 3 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn, another good defensive display. Coach Knight commented you were not "wound very tight" because you dribbled the ball too far from your body. Tighten it up and keep up the concentration.

Marcus and Markieff, stay focused. Don't lose your temper. Keep up the good work.

Tyrel, keep it up!

Josh, follow the lead.

William Blake 3 years, 3 months ago

Sorry for the double.. my page didn't refreshhhh.....

dtownhawkfan 3 years, 3 months ago

I must admit the Peanut Butter Jelly Time deal was hilarious, I know I couldn't have made free throws with that going on.

Ben Kane 3 years, 3 months ago

anyone know anything about this kid?

UPDATE: According to a report this morning from Evan Daniels of Scout.com, North Carolina doesn't appear to be in the top 4 for prized 2012 center Kaleb Tarczewski.

When asked about his top schools, Tarczewski told Scout.com: "Kansas is coming really hard. West Virginia really hard. UConn and Kentucky are starting to come pretty hard. It's been good."

akl6593 3 years, 3 months ago

jayhawkinnebr is bad for this site.

All ye who second this motion, say "I do"

I DO...

bradynsdad 3 years, 3 months ago

I can't find a decent k state fansite I was wondering if anyone else has seen one to find out what fans are saying about frank Martin and his wildcats.

midhawktx 3 years, 3 months ago

Not a Brady Hater here as I think the kid plays hard nosed D, but I want to talk about his shot. I know earlier, kusports had an article that touched on Brady changing his shot. Here is what I am seeing that is negatively influencing his percentage.
1. The old Brady stroke was straight up and down and released a bit on the way up. 2. Now he is trying to release his shot at the appex of his jump; however, he is releasing the ball on the way down causing a short shot. 3. To make up for the short shot, he is jumping forward at least 3 to 4 feet. Example, if he takes a 20ft three shot, he is landing at least 2 ft inside the arc.
4. Combining the release on the way down and the too much forward jumping, this causes his shot to be way short, or too long, and a flat arc.

Easier said than done, but if he could get the idea of releasing the ball at his apex, the ball will start falling. Those are my thoughts on his shot.

JRandall 3 years, 3 months ago

Ideal staring line up after watching the hawks this far in the season.

Reed bringing the ball up, then going to the corner to knock down the 3's

Selby penetrating and creating for himself and dumping the ball off to the bigs

Little / Releford rotating in and out as the 3rd guard / small big shooting from the elbow and dishing off to the Morris Bros

MK / MM ruling the inside scoring and controlling the boards with TRob backing them up

JRandall 3 years, 3 months ago

Brady's confidence has certainly left him this year. I doubt that comments on here are the real reason that Brady is having an off year. Brady is very highly thought of by 99% of jayhawk nation and always will be. He's a leader on and off the court and contributes in many ways other than scoring. If I were a betting man, count on Brady late in the season or March Madness to get some of his swagger back. We def need him and Reed to carry us late in the tough games. Reed is starting to remind me of a Kirk H... just heads up, hard nose play.

My biggest concern is with the sporatic guard play / turnovers from TT, JS and EJ. They all are very talented but make some very bad decisions at crucial times in the game. Just when we are about to Bleed the other team and close out the game, errant passes and bad decisions seem to happen.

Hang in there Brady. As for that Idiot posting hate comments on here, best thing to do is ignore him. He seem to be like Sarah Palin, the more attention he gathers, the more he post.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

wrwlumpy 3 years, 3 months ago

When will Vitale speak to his pre-season ranking of the Jayhawks.

This just in... http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/rpi/index1

hawknfl 3 years, 3 months ago

First off that was a great game played Monday night. Ball control still iffy, but if you can get the interior working that well it will negate some of the sloppy ball handling mistakes.

Not to change the subect, but in keeping with the positive vibe of these posts, did anyone else check this out on ESPN. I could not believe it when it was front page this morning.

This young lady has an incredible tattoo!

Ron Franklin 3 years, 3 months ago

Dear Editors,

On this 19th Day of January, In the Year of Our Lord, Two-Thousand And Eleven, I hereby request the full, and most severe form of Expungement of Alias jayhawkinnebr.

The constant denigration desplayed by jawhawkinnebr to our very own family member Brady Morningstar has become despicable.

jayhawkinnebr has gone many moons beyond constructive ctriticism, and resorts only to name calling and character attacks.

jayhawkinnebr never provides any valuable insight, and is a cancer to what is known as the best college sports site in the nation.

Furthermore, jayhawkinnebr has stirred up so much negative energy for our brethren, that the kharma has begun to have an adverse affect on not only the fans of this site, but also on Brady himself.

I understand free speech is integral, but I believe that jayhawkinnebr has given up this right by consantly namecalling and using offensive & derogatory terms and by constantly slandering one of our own.

jayhawkinnebr is bad for this site.

All ye who second this motion, say "I do"

Danny Hernandez 3 years, 3 months ago

Everyone comments on Josh's lack of progress and I'm curious for those smarter than I, how they feel the lack of practice time with the A team and missing the first 9 games affected his overall game?

Also, curious that though mu lost this week, they actually moved up a few spots....

And EJ still looks tentative out there and hopefully his confidence isn't lacking because he's got handles and just isn't playing to his strengths.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

One way to get excited is to put Brady Blooper on the Bench. What a stupid player, he is a liability and is costing this team, He gets beat off from his man and has to foul, then his man makes the shot and the free-throw. Brady Hacker can't guard a fence post. A 5th years senior, he plays like a kid in high school. No points in two games with about 15 mins per game, Bill, there is not any production with this Klutz. A couple assists is all we have been getting. Litttle, Releford, Johnson, Teahan, and a couple of the freshmen players can give us that, plus a lot more. I agree with the rest on here, that this Goof needs his a$$ on the bench. What a dud. We have some great players on this team and we can't expect them to carry Cluesless Brady. Self is not doing a very good job with this team playing Hapless with the rest of the team. Reed is playing like a 5th year senior, doing a great job on both ends of the floor. Why is it that the points spread between the teams, that Ku is leading, when Brady comes in goes down? Every time this happens. Put Boozer on the bench and watch this team take off.

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 3 months ago

"Self was out recruiting."

Strike while the iron is hot!! How fun it must be to recruit after that game. 79% shooting in the first half is unbelievable.

What else does McLemore (and his Mother) and Daniels need to see??

Go get them, Coach!!

Play40Min 3 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone have a link to the Baylor fans doing the Peanut Butter Jelly Dance?

William Blake 3 years, 3 months ago

What is exciting for KU this year is we play the rest of our tough south games at home. This year we should take another Big 12 title... but the road to get there goes through Manhattan and Columbia. I like them odds!

CS can't get too excited, or the team will have an instant plateau. He wants to see them better yet, and definitely more consistent. Turns out he was more surprised at how we played in Waco than Drew was! He feels like the guys have been holding back in practice.

Player development is a weird deal. Some players show a small steady improvement as they develop while other players take huge leaps suddenly because something clicks in their minds and they start executing better. I think (and hope) the latter for the twins in their recent performances. It is like something clicked in their heads and they suddenly realize they can take it to anyone in the paint! About time!!!!!

Now let's see them maintain this aggression. CS is going to push them to stay on top. I bet this week will be one of the toughest practice weeks all year. CS has raised his expectations and he's going to hold the team to his new standard.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 3 months ago

From the looks of that picture at the head of the article, it looks like Bill is pretty excited to me!!

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 3 months ago

I think one of the reasons CS can't get too excited is because of the makeup of the Big 12. I mean, let's face it----Baylor, big win--now, there is Texas coming to Lawrence. It's like Illinois knocking off Michigan State last night. Big win, right? Oh, can't get too excited because we have #1 Ohio State coming to Champaign on Saturday. Coach Self is smart. Our guys played smart. Smart means "taking it one game at a time" --type mentality. Love it!

DDDHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for all your hard work, "Scout Team." It is easy to forget that behind the scenes, there are lots of people doing unheralded work to help produce the wonderful results we see in Allen Fieldhouse. Congratulations!

Ron Franklin 3 years, 3 months ago

When I saw Travis go down, I saw his ankle just dangling there. I had to rewind it a few times to make sure that I saw correctly....but it was...it looked like it was broken. I didn't think he'd be back soon. And I wouldn't expect too much out of him anyway, though he'll be really needed against Tejas.

I'm happy to see Reed bringin the ball up and playing a little bit of the point. Reed does not turn the ball over, and this team needs badly to find a way to drop down to 10-11 TO's a game. The downfall is he could become tired, and lose his treylegs. I just really like to see either Brady or Reed bring the ball up and thn dish it off to Tyshawn. That gives Tyshawn a break from the rock & he can get the court and assess the defense w/o having to do too much thinking.

I wonder why Josh is having so much trouble w/ his handles. Is he not dribbling close enough to his body? Does he just not realize how quick these players are at D1. At this point in time, he may be a top recruit, but I don't think he's ready for the league yet. That 9 game learning curve he missed out on has been deadly.

Kye Clark 3 years, 3 months ago

Unrelated note - Kentucky was beaten by unranked Alabama last night. Where is KY_Cats now?

jhawktop 3 years, 3 months ago

Doesn't DeAndre Daniels live in Texas? I'm hoping he just stayed in TX after the game and paid him a visit Tuesday.

clevelandjayhawker 3 years, 3 months ago

I was wondering what the student section there was doing, good to hear about Travis, that was a good half I was worried the way we started with turnovers, I agree with self we still havent seen the ceiling of this team (esp for 40 mins) but i hope we do for 6 games straight in march and early april.

Only thing I wasnt a fan of is getting some of our key guys out of the game a little earlier, I know we had a late dunk by Marcus and didnt want a cheap foul or a ball to roll under him for an injury.

Is it disclosed who Self is recruiting? or even what town he is in so ppl on this site can have stuff to discuss other than jayhawkinneb talking trash on morningstar??

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 3 months ago

Hey Gary,

You guys seem to know every move made by HCBS. You knew he went recruiting, for example. And where did he go and who might he have been trying to see? Does he have some inkling that we might need more recruits for any particular reason? Or was it just a fishing trip?

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

"Some Calls Scott Drew Made After KU Whipped Turd Baylor's Ass"

~Called up his dad, Homer Drew, at Valparaiso and cried.

~Called up Valpo AD, asked him to fire his Dad, and hire him.

~Called up the NCAA and asked them how soon he should leave to avoid Baylor getting the death penalty.

~Called Bob Knight to ask him if you ever get over being hated by your fellow coaches?

~Called Sean Miller and asked him if he could be his graduate assistant at 'Zona.

~Called Dick Vitale and said he would give a big donation to the Valvano Foundation if Dick could put a good word in for him about his application to ESPN for an announcer's job.

~Called the Branch Davidians and asked them if they needed a recruiter.

~Called Century 21 and put his house on the market.

~Called the Waco Daily Believer sports desk and told them that God told him to let KU beat him badly.

~Called Norman Bate's mother's house and started screaming, "mother!!!!!!!"

~Called the producers of Glee and said he had reconsidered and would love to do a cameo as a hapless tramp basketball coach with a crush on the teacher of the glee club.

~Called President of Baylor and said, "What the hell! I admit it. Last year was a fluke."

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

Edward Daub 3 years, 3 months ago

KU definitely played great against Baylor and shot the ball extremely well!

There is an old saying that "you play like you practice", which is Bill's point.

Consistency at the guard position is the key to this team and managing the 10 deep roster of talent.

waywardJay 3 years, 3 months ago

Bill ever the optimist.

A day after we get white hot offensively.... ehhh we could be better.

Thanks for the focus Bill.