Wednesday, January 19, 2011

KU’s Bill Self ‘not too excited’ after win

Kansas head coach Bill Self yells at his defense as Baylor cuts the lead during the second half on Monday, Jan. 17, 2011 at the Ferrell Center in Waco, Texas.

Reader poll

Who is KU's best bench player?

• Travis Releford 11% 619 votes
  • Elijah Johnson 1% 105 votes
  • Brady Morningstar 14% 789 votes
  • Mario Little 5% 292 votes
  • Thomas Robinson 65% 3543 votes
  • Jeff Withey 1% 55 votes
  • Other 0% 21 votes

5424 total votes.

One of the 35 NBA scouts at Monday’s Kansas-Baylor basketball game briefly interrupted a Bill Self media session in a hallway in Ferrell Center.

“Beautiful basketball, Bill,” the talent evaluator said as he walked briskly past KU’s coach, following the No. 2-ranked Jayhawks’ 85-65 victory over the Bears.

“Thanks,” Self replied, before returning to the topic at hand — pretty, unselfish KU play that resulted in 53 first-half points off amazing 79.3 percent shooting.

“I’m not too excited,” Self said. “This is not the same team I see in practice every day. We were better than what we’ve been practicing. Where we are right now is we are a team that has a chance to be really good. When we get more consistent guard play ... I think our ceiling is high.”

Frontcourt players Marcus and Markieff Morris, who combined for 44 of KU’s points and 14 of KU’s 27 rebounds, dominated Monday’s game.

“The twins were the best players in the game, but I thought everybody played well, especially the first half,” Self said.

Two of KU’s guards produced big-time on the offensive end. Josh Selby scored 12 points off 5-of-11 shooting (two of six threes) and Tyrel Reed 11 points off 4-of-8 shooting (three of five threes).

“We had four turnovers in the first four minutes and two the last 16,” Self said of the opening 20 minutes. “The ball really moved and they were crisp passes and we drove to pass. We played through the high post pretty well. That was a big key (in attacking BU’s 2-3 zone), playing through the high post.”

The Jayhawks have seen a lot of zone defenses this season.

“We did a good job of being patient and getting some easy baskets,” Self said. “You don’t shoot 79 percent unless you are able to get some shots inside. We shot the ball well behind the arc, five of nine the first half (seven of 18 for game), but we got a lot of baskets inside three and four feet, which is sometimes hard to do against the zone.”

On the defensive end, guards Tyshawn Taylor (six points, four assists) and Brady Morningstar (no points, three assists) shadowed Baylor senior LaceDarius Dunn, the Big 12’s scoring leader, who hit for just 13 points off 3-of-9 shooting.

“Brady probably guarded him 15 minutes; Tyshawn 20 (or so),” Self said. “We went triangle and two a couple possessions and (Anthony) Jones made a three. We got out of that (quickly).”

Dunn needed a three with just 38 seconds left to extend his school-record streak of games with a three to 31. He made just one of three treys.

“He’s terrific. The best scorer in our league,” Self said. “I thought we did a good job limiting his good touches, a good job of shadowing him with other guys off ball screens. The thing we didn’t do well with him and the whole team is we fouled way too much (BU hit 20 of 26 free throws to KU’s eight of nine). For the most part we did a good job of awareness of where LaceDarius was the whole time.”

Scout team excels: KU assistant Kurtis Townsend filled in for Self on Tuesday’s weekly Hawk Talk radio show. Self was out recruiting. Townsend cited some unlikely heroes who helped the Jayhawks shred Baylor’s zone defense.

“Our scout team did an unbelievable job (at Sunday’s practice and Monday’s shootaround). Tyshawn mentioned last night how well they simulated Baylor’s zone defense. He said it was so hard to score against our scout defense. They did an unbelievable job preparing us,” Townsend said.

The scout team generally consists of red-shirts (Conner Teahan, Justin Wesley) and those players not in the regular rotation.

Funny stuff: Baylor’s student section broke into a wild rendition of “Peanut Butter Jelly Time” from Family Guy when Mario Little strolled to the free throw line in the second half.

“I know Mario was getting ready to shoot the free throw and he started laughing,” Townsend said. “Somebody showed me the clip this morning. It’s pretty funny.”

Little did sink both free throws on a night he scored 10 points in seven minutes.

Releford recovering: As Self said after Monday’s game, it looks as if Travis Releford, who missed the last three games, may play Saturday against Texas (3 p.m., Allen Fieldhouse).

“He had the (left) ankle sprain (in first half of Jan. 9 game at Michigan). We thought he wouldn’t miss much time. It swelled up pretty good the two days after,” Townsend said. “He went through workouts 50 percent to game time (Monday). He’s been getting three treatments a day. I’d expect to see him on the floor Saturday.”

Comments

waywardJay 4 years, 3 months ago

Bill ever the optimist.

A day after we get white hot offensively.... ehhh we could be better.

Thanks for the focus Bill.

Kye Clark 4 years, 3 months ago

I think a lot of the fans here on the message boards take our cue from Bill Self. Often posters complain about other posters criticizing our play and we see comments like "we're 18-0, enjoy the ride." (full disclosure, I am one who will complain about negative criticism, but only when I think it's unjustified). But I really think that we are so used to seeing Bill Self not get too high after a good performance and express the flaws he sees in this team that we as fans also feel comfortable doing the same.

TenaciousD 4 years, 3 months ago

Nice post Lebowski. You are right re: over-criticizing certain players... Brady for one. Coach Self plays him because he is our best perimeter defender, best at feeding the post, and I think he is our best pure point guard right now. In a major shooting slump, yes, but he brings a lot of good things to the team. He is a major contributor and we need the whole team to be all we can be this year.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 3 months ago

Right, that's the way you fix a shooting slump. Pull him, despite the fact that he's doing other things well and the team is winning with him. This is exactly the kind of "constructive" criticism Lebowski is talking about.

Sam Constance 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm not a Brady detractor, but I do have to say that Tyshawn is our best perimeter defender, this year anyway...

And I've actually liked what Morningstar has brought to the table on teams past, but this year he seems to have gotten a little lackadaisical on making the "smart" plays.

The decision to hit a ball out of a Cal player's hand is one. The ill-advised behind-the-back pass against Nebraska(?) is another. One of his strengths has always been that, in spite of not being the fastest, highest jumper, or strongest player on the team, he makes the intelligent play that compensates for that lack of athleticism.

He's still a very good defender, and as long as he does that, he will get minutes (and deservedly so) on a Bill Self team. It would just be nice to see him return to the heady player that made me like him in the first place. His shooting slump--while now becoming quite prolonged--is a stupid reason to pull him (or any other offensive player).

Ron Prichard 4 years, 3 months ago

You don't pull a player to get him out of a shooting slump. That said, I just haven't seen the same defensive consistency out of Brady this year that I did last year. Case in point: as soon as he comes into the Baylor game, he gives up a back door cut and commits the foul for a three point play. I think Brady's real value is in his calming influence to the rest of the team. The second half of the Nebraska game is a good example. He can run the offense and helps keep everyone under control. However, without his shot dropping, his value is greatly decreased. I trust Coach Self to play the players that will most help this team achieve its long-term goals (Final Four/NC). If that means playing Brady, then so be it.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 3 months ago

Raprichard, your reasonable, nuanced take has no place on these message boards.

Ron Prichard 4 years, 3 months ago

Sorry...I can do better. I'll try to be more divisive and antagonistic next time.

lee3022 4 years, 3 months ago

Agreed. As for Brady, I believe we need him to play for the tournament and his defense and maturity keep us grounded. His slump will become history soon and his sharpshooting returning will be such boost to this already good team. They will see many zones this year and the more shooters we have the better we will defeat those zones.

Kye Clark 4 years, 3 months ago

Well none of the criticism is constructive Lebowski. We aren't coaching the players or giving the staff advice, so it doesn't lend itself to any positive results in the area where the criticism is aimed. You said it yourself in your last paragraph, coach is the one having an actual impact, so anything anyone posts is neither constructive nor a problem. You may not like negative criticism, but if you don't like it...ignore it (like most people do jayhawkinnebr), or if a poster says something you disagree with, engage in a debate (btw, calling someone an idiot is not an example of this). For example, I do not subscribe to the theory that there is anything such as a "good loss". Certainly there can be lessons learned from a loss, but Coach Self has said himself that he doesn't know of any lesson learned in a loss that can't be learned in a win. I myself coached youth baseball for many years, and in a post-game meeting following a win I was telling the kids some of the areas we needed to work on and a parent chimed in "who cares they won!" I quickly replied that is a horrible philosophy to take, that it teaches the kids it doesn't matter how you played the game, but whether you won or lost, and that I wouldn't be doing my job if I wasn't working to make the kids better ball players every game, win or lose. And this kind of goes back to my original post, that even after playing a very good game against Baylor Coach Self is not satisfied and is coaching his players to be better, and often the posts of the fans are reflective of that.

Edward Daub 4 years, 3 months ago

KU definitely played great against Baylor and shot the ball extremely well!

There is an old saying that "you play like you practice", which is Bill's point.

Consistency at the guard position is the key to this team and managing the 10 deep roster of talent.

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

"Some Calls Scott Drew Made After KU Whipped Turd Baylor's Ass"

~Called up his dad, Homer Drew, at Valparaiso and cried.

~Called up Valpo AD, asked him to fire his Dad, and hire him.

~Called up the NCAA and asked them how soon he should leave to avoid Baylor getting the death penalty.

~Called Bob Knight to ask him if you ever get over being hated by your fellow coaches?

~Called Sean Miller and asked him if he could be his graduate assistant at 'Zona.

~Called Dick Vitale and said he would give a big donation to the Valvano Foundation if Dick could put a good word in for him about his application to ESPN for an announcer's job.

~Called the Branch Davidians and asked them if they needed a recruiter.

~Called Century 21 and put his house on the market.

~Called the Waco Daily Believer sports desk and told them that God told him to let KU beat him badly.

~Called Norman Bate's mother's house and started screaming, "mother!!!!!!!"

~Called the producers of Glee and said he had reconsidered and would love to do a cameo as a hapless tramp basketball coach with a crush on the teacher of the glee club.

~Called President of Baylor and said, "What the hell! I admit it. Last year was a fluke."

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 3 months ago

Jaybate- He also received a call. It was from Dave Bliss. He asked Drew if he wanted him to come up with a bunch of cover up excuses for the loss to KU. He said he was really good with those cover up stories.

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

Bliss. I forgot about Bliss. Good add!

Jacobpaul81 4 years, 3 months ago

Jaybate would do well making some calls himself. I'm tired of paying his unemployment.

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

Well, I've always believed in a classless society.

Still, I will keep trying to get better and find your funnybone.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 3 months ago

Now that's funny - at least in an nerdy sort of way, which just indicates that we REALLY need to be worried about you (& me).

SherronBallins 4 years, 3 months ago

a little less time writing essay length comments on kusports, a little more time searching for employment

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

Is this your way of asking me for a job?

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

Poor wittle Jacobpaul81...used to having it better than people, now not. Boo hoo!

Work at getting better.

If you learn nothing else here, learn it is better to work at getting better than to do stupid Old Testament schtick.

Don't be a vonce, Jake.

Get better.

Helen Gross 4 years, 3 months ago

jaybate u just keep on typing. Your wit and commentary r priceless!

Ron Franklin 4 years, 3 months ago

I thought this was so funny.....I don't mind paying your unemployment:-).

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

All this bating about unemployment and employment is not going to get me to reveal anything. :-)

Kurt Eskilson 4 years, 3 months ago

So, Jaybate, you're NOT really Coach Mangino?

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

Well, I guess I can rule out Mange Man. :-)

Ron Franklin 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm not bating you.....I'm confused by that statement.

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

Oh, aliases some times try to pry out of me who I am and what I do with childish taunts. They seem to expect me to be defensive about this or that thing, and so reveal something. I didn't mean to signal you out specifically. It was just several posts dealing with my employment status jokingly (yours), and others not, just seemed like there was some poking around for my off-line identity going on. It always cracks me up that aliases read my stuff, or more likely, look at the words, and try to incite me about employment, or lack thereof. Sorry, if I offended you in any way.

Ron Franklin 4 years, 3 months ago

I can understand that......no word games here, as you point out i was just pokin fun a that guy for assuming one has to be unemployed to post long, insightful blogs

I asked about your studies the other day...with no revelation, so I assumed that's the way you like it.....not one to play word games and wring it out of you:)

I figure your are near or already retired and living the great life in paradise somewhere!!

dylans 4 years, 3 months ago

And called his top 10 recruit for next season.

dylans,

Drew is feeling positively 4th street.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

You can hang out in my crib anytime if your unemployment gets tight.

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

Thx. I'll put you in Outlook for a rainy day! :-)

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 3 months ago

Hey Gary,

You guys seem to know every move made by HCBS. You knew he went recruiting, for example. And where did he go and who might he have been trying to see? Does he have some inkling that we might need more recruits for any particular reason? Or was it just a fishing trip?

hoopsdr 4 years, 3 months ago

I would also like to know where Coach went and who he was watching. In my opinion HCBS still has a lot of work to do for next fall as we could very easily be turning over 6 roster spots. Guaranteed to lose the three seniors (Brady, Tyrel, and Little) and we could just as easily lose the twins and Selby.

It would be great to get a weekly recruiting update.

kubball99 4 years, 3 months ago

Word is he was in CA watching Angelo Chol.

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

Marcus is putting up numbers that make the GMs roll the dice in the top 15.

Self has to be feeling some separation anxiety coming on.

Chol seems like a good fit with Ellis and Daniels!

New t-shirt for KU: "KU--Where the Bigs Go to Beast!"

Rack'em up, Bill!

clevelandjayhawker 4 years, 3 months ago

I was wondering what the student section there was doing, good to hear about Travis, that was a good half I was worried the way we started with turnovers, I agree with self we still havent seen the ceiling of this team (esp for 40 mins) but i hope we do for 6 games straight in march and early april.

Only thing I wasnt a fan of is getting some of our key guys out of the game a little earlier, I know we had a late dunk by Marcus and didnt want a cheap foul or a ball to roll under him for an injury.

Is it disclosed who Self is recruiting? or even what town he is in so ppl on this site can have stuff to discuss other than jayhawkinneb talking trash on morningstar??

jhawktop 4 years, 3 months ago

Doesn't DeAndre Daniels live in Texas? I'm hoping he just stayed in TX after the game and paid him a visit Tuesday.

Andy Hess 4 years, 3 months ago

he's at school in Bradenton, FL but is originally from Woodland Hills, CA.

Kye Clark 4 years, 3 months ago

Unrelated note - Kentucky was beaten by unranked Alabama last night. Where is KY_Cats now?

Carter Patterson 4 years, 3 months ago

Have you watched Trevor Releford for Bama....he's having a great freshmen year.

Ron Franklin 4 years, 3 months ago

Ya....I watched that game. Releford got a lot a time....(correction...I watched part of the game)....it looked like the other 4 players were avoiding passing Releford the rock.

But, I could definitely see the resemblance. I knew by half time the UK Cats would lose if they didn't shoot lights out from three. Bama was getting every rebound and ton's of second chance points.

Love to get one game close to overtaking the wins record.

jayhawkinATL 4 years, 3 months ago

No $hit!!! That bastard (KY_Cats) has to contend with 5 to 10-loss team this year. When is Calipari going to realize that one-and-dones CAN'T get it done?!?!

tis4tim 4 years, 3 months ago

It's hard for any team to get it done with a six-man rotation like Cal plays.

Ron Franklin 4 years, 3 months ago

I never paid much attention to Cal's coaching style before last night. I just never really wanted to watch the games....but, didn't realize he is such a maniac over there on he sideline.

brooksmd 4 years, 3 months ago

I saw him give Jones the butt chewing and you're right. He looked like he was asking himself "why did I take that call after I committed to Washington?"

lee3022 4 years, 3 months ago

I could not help wonder what prospective recruit parents would think about the abusive way he acts towards his players in seeking to publicly humiliate them. Common decency and respect seemed to be missing most of the game. Perhaps his short rotation forces such treatment while Coach Self can more quietly substitute and let the player sit and think about what is happening on the floor.

Ron Franklin 4 years, 3 months ago

When I saw Travis go down, I saw his ankle just dangling there. I had to rewind it a few times to make sure that I saw correctly....but it was...it looked like it was broken. I didn't think he'd be back soon. And I wouldn't expect too much out of him anyway, though he'll be really needed against Tejas.

I'm happy to see Reed bringin the ball up and playing a little bit of the point. Reed does not turn the ball over, and this team needs badly to find a way to drop down to 10-11 TO's a game. The downfall is he could become tired, and lose his treylegs. I just really like to see either Brady or Reed bring the ball up and thn dish it off to Tyshawn. That gives Tyshawn a break from the rock & he can get the court and assess the defense w/o having to do too much thinking.

I wonder why Josh is having so much trouble w/ his handles. Is he not dribbling close enough to his body? Does he just not realize how quick these players are at D1. At this point in time, he may be a top recruit, but I don't think he's ready for the league yet. That 9 game learning curve he missed out on has been deadly.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

Great Post! Where you been "Big Lebowski"? I agree about point #2. I'm starting to get the feeling that there is a lot left that he needs to work on. I think it's 60/40 right now that he leaves next year.

I agree about having the ball in Josh's hands. Look at Walls stats last year. He had 5 games last year with 7 turnovers, but the interesting part is the "Impact" he had from a statisitcal standpoint in every other category.

Clarence Haynes 4 years, 3 months ago

Labor issues could also influence whether Josh returns for another year.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

I think it could be a factor, but the lockout of 1999 didn't affect Carter, Pierce, Bibby, Hughes, Traylor, Williams, or Olowokandi.

I agree there are still way too many factors left to really know for sure or not if he leaves, but I think Selby should come back. I don't think he is ready, but then again I didn't think X was ready either. NBA loves potential and they draft potential so if you're going to be a lottery pick..........it's a no brainer, you have to leave.

Ron Franklin 4 years, 3 months ago

was doing a little fishing.....definitely rhetorical....was looking to see if anybody else thought he might be picking up bad habits from somebody one the team.....and you nailed it, Lebowski.

Ken Sedgwick 4 years, 3 months ago

Lebowski dont forget, Josh and any other freshman have to memorize what he and four other guys are doing in 43 different set plays. I know that sounds a little to black and white, but it cant be real easy. I believe thats why coach Self pulled Selby in the secound half of the Nebraska game. Jaybate was the first to hint at Self sandbaging. It wasnt just because of the turnovers. Buy the way good posts today! In fact good posts for everyone today!

Sam Constance 4 years, 3 months ago

Agree 100%. I've seen Josh have some really good defensive possessions, and while it seems like he'll occasionally lose his man or forget what his assignment should be on a rotation, those are just freshman learning mistakes imho.

What I see that excites me is how well he moves his feet laterally, how he doesn't get drawn into head fakes and ball fakes that often, and how naturally it comes to him to stay in between his man and the basket.

He also seems like a true team player, rather than an entitled kid who just knows what he should be saying.

If he returns--a definite possibility in my mind--and Tyshawn returns (also a likelihood), KU will have an outstanding defensive backcourt duo. Throw in Releford and EJ, and KU would be an early frontrunner for "best backcourt" in the NCAA.

Ann Oneill 4 years, 3 months ago

He tends to dribble right through the middle of the lane and doesn't have numbers. Pull up jumper would work instead of going for the potential highlight reel.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

I've been saying that a majority of the season that I think Morningstar's best position is PG.

DDDHawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for all your hard work, "Scout Team." It is easy to forget that behind the scenes, there are lots of people doing unheralded work to help produce the wonderful results we see in Allen Fieldhouse. Congratulations!

beware0fph0g 4 years, 3 months ago

Absolutely!

Something funny...2008 was Matt Kleinmann's last year as a jayhawk, and before he was gone, I didn't think there was anything about him that I would really miss. I mean after all, he just got cleanup minutes during his entire tenure on the team, so what did he really bring to the table?

2008-09 season came, and I realized what it was: Scout Team. We had a guy that was 6'10"-11" on our scout team that our starters could regularly get reps against. This was incredibly invaluable for our championship team. Think: we have arguably the best big-man coach in the game, and a practice dummy (no offense intended here Matt) to go against every single rep. Matt deserves at least a portion of the credit for the amazing transformations that Sasha and D-Block went through, not to mention Cole's coming out party against UNC.

I would imagine Withey is doing about the same for us now, but he isn't nearly as physical as Kleinmann was. Maybe Kleinmann did deserve to rock more hardware than anyone else in KU bball history.

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 3 months ago

I think one of the reasons CS can't get too excited is because of the makeup of the Big 12. I mean, let's face it----Baylor, big win--now, there is Texas coming to Lawrence. It's like Illinois knocking off Michigan State last night. Big win, right? Oh, can't get too excited because we have #1 Ohio State coming to Champaign on Saturday. Coach Self is smart. Our guys played smart. Smart means "taking it one game at a time" --type mentality. Love it!

Ron Franklin 4 years, 3 months ago

wonder how many more losses MichSt will have to get to be knocked out of the top 25. They were ranked 18th w/ 5 losses before losing to Illinois last night.

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 3 months ago

True. Sounds like their ranking is rigged!

Ron Prichard 4 years, 3 months ago

But they play in the TOUGH Big 10!! I mean, look at all the great teams in that league!! Ohio State, Michigan....er, I mean Northwestern...Indiana? Penn State? Well, there is Iowa, Purdue and Minnesota? Well, Tom Izzo deserves the benefit of the doubt. He'll have them ready in March, right?

It just goes to show how much pre-season rankings influence the rest of the season and how pre-concieved notions about teams play into the voters picks.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

I hope Illinois gets their teeth kicked in.

Ron Franklin 4 years, 3 months ago

Not sure why I thought this was funny. But, I just laughed out loud.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 3 months ago

From the looks of that picture at the head of the article, it looks like Bill is pretty excited to me!!

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 3 months ago

That doesn't look like a look of excitment to me. I think he was reacting to the Peanut Butter and Jelly song while we were trying to shoot a FT!

Ron Prichard 4 years, 3 months ago

That was the one thing I liked about Baylor's crowd.

NJHAWK 4 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, Self wants to know the reasons for his players missing 21% of shots in the first half and 38% for the entire game. Nice. KU is lucky to have him.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

The hawks can't get lazy because at Colorado and at Nebraska are going to be tough games. KU always gets up for their I-70 rivals, but the cross state rivals to the North and West, not so much. I agree about the schedule though.

oldalum 4 years, 3 months ago

Do you think that early on they were afraid to be too aggressive because they kept getting so many fouls? It always looked to me like they were being cautious, especially Keiff. Either they've gotten better at avoiding fouls, or better at being sneaky with their fouls.

Sam Constance 4 years, 3 months ago

Especially when the incompetent, oversight-less referees in D1 basketball change the way a game is called depending on the time of day, phase of the moon, and whether or not the groundhog saw his shadow.

It's a wonder they can learn anything without any consistency.

Play40Min 4 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone have a link to the Baylor fans doing the Peanut Butter Jelly Dance?

Phoggin_Loud 4 years, 3 months ago

"Self was out recruiting."

Strike while the iron is hot!! How fun it must be to recruit after that game. 79% shooting in the first half is unbelievable.

What else does McLemore (and his Mother) and Daniels need to see??

Go get them, Coach!!

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

For McLemore, I'm not really sure. Wish KU would have played better against Nebraska when McLemore's Mom and Cousins were in town.

As for Daniels, looks like it's the Pell Grant and financial issues holding things up from KU's finanicial department. There hasn't been any news on DD for over a week now. He will either show up on campus for the weekend or the start of next week or he'll return to IMG and hopefully KU will stay in good graces with him through April and then take one of the open schollies left behind by Morningstar, Reed, and Little.

Sam Constance 4 years, 3 months ago

I think the only thing that would change McLemore's mother's mind is if that Jayhawk weren't on the KU jerseys.

Unfortunately with him, I'm of the opinion that the only way he comes here is if he can convince his family that he should be the one making these kind of decisions about his life and make them realize that they would be terrible people to force their son to go somewhere other than his first choice based on some idiotic school rivalry.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

How you doing Marchphogg? Recruiting is always an interesting phnomenon. I love reading about, but it does get tiring at times. Who knows what this kid is really going to do?

David Reed 4 years, 3 months ago

I heard Self was out watching Angelo Chol

brooksmd 4 years, 3 months ago

What's the matter? Those cornhusks in the outhouse starting to get to you? Give it a rest.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 3 months ago

One way to get excited is to put jayhawkinnebr on the Bench. What a stupid poster, he is a liability and is costing this site. He gets beat with the phrase-making and then as to erase and repost, while someone else gets off a better "shot". Jayhawkinnebr can't write a want ad. A graduate and a supposed Jayhawk, he posts like a kid in high school. [which he might be]. The same continual rant in the last two months, LJW, there's no production from this Klutz. The same old couple of positions is all we have been getting. Bobbysfissure, Soobawls, etc. can give us that plus a lot more. I agree with the rest on here that this Goof needs his a$$ on the bench. What a dud.

We have some great posters on this site and we can't expect them to carry Clueless JHNB. LJW is not doing a very good job with this site allowing Hapless to post with the rest of us.Jaybateand kushaw are posting like 5th year seniors, doing a great job at both ends of the posts.Why is it when the quality of the posts is so high, yet when this guy chimes in it goes down? Every time this happens. Put Loser on the bench and watch this site take off.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

I"m stealing Jaybates or whomever's line. Posting Hall of Fame! Now, all you have to do is post that for the next 3 months. Change a few words and it will be fantastic. You up for it Oakville? LOL!

Kurt Eskilson 4 years, 3 months ago

Terrific post, Oakville. But better than he/she deserves.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

I would add 100, HEM, justanotherfan, blownjay, icthawk, yourself oakville and others to that list.

Ron Franklin 4 years, 3 months ago

this is the funniest post ive ever read, anywhere.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

I don't know, the orca thread over the summer was pretty funny. Tyrel's picture helping a young lady in a PT internship turned to Orca's.

Ron Franklin 4 years, 3 months ago

wish i could remember those details...remember the article though.

Ron Franklin 4 years, 3 months ago

wish i could remember those details...remember the article though.

Craig Colgin 4 years, 3 months ago

Priceless Oakville, Priceless indeed!!!!!!

100 4 years, 3 months ago

If you're Markief or Marcus, guess who you want out there with you?

Brady.

Why?

Because he passes you the ball better than anyone else in the lineup & plays tough D.

Rock Chalk

Jack Wilson 4 years, 3 months ago

Guys, just ignore him. Don't respond, take no notice. The silent treatment is the best response from here on out. Or simply post "ignored" following his posts every time he hammers Brady with this stuff. If he broadens his horizons, great.

Dan Harris 4 years, 3 months ago

diarrhea of the mouth again jnebr? chew on some imodium.

Danny Hernandez 4 years, 3 months ago

Everyone comments on Josh's lack of progress and I'm curious for those smarter than I, how they feel the lack of practice time with the A team and missing the first 9 games affected his overall game?

Also, curious that though mu lost this week, they actually moved up a few spots....

And EJ still looks tentative out there and hopefully his confidence isn't lacking because he's got handles and just isn't playing to his strengths.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

I don't think he lost anything in regards to practice time. Games and practice are always different in the fact that you're adjusting to "Game Speed". Games are very crucial because it allows you to find rhythm as a team and it also allows every individual to get use to one another while finding each other's comfort zone and spots on the floor.

That's what Self is doing at the moment by trying to find the right combinations and also letting (For the most part) the team get use to Selby and vice versa. It's coming along. Baylor was a good indicator in terms of zone offense, but I still want to see how they all mesh together against a good man to man squad that is disciplined. I don't know if Texas is disciplined enough, but I am hoping they give the Jayhawks a good test in terms of athleticism.

Dear Editors,

On this 19th Day of January, In the Year of Our Lord, Two-Thousand And Eleven, I hereby request the full, and most severe form of Expungement of Alias jayhawkinnebr.

The constant denigration desplayed by jawhawkinnebr to our very own family member Brady Morningstar has become despicable.

jayhawkinnebr has gone many moons beyond constructive ctriticism, and resorts only to name calling and character attacks.

jayhawkinnebr never provides any valuable insight, and is a cancer to what is known as the best college sports site in the nation.

Furthermore, jayhawkinnebr has stirred up so much negative energy for our brethren, that the kharma has begun to have an adverse affect on not only the fans of this site, but also on Brady himself.

I understand free speech is integral, but I believe that jayhawkinnebr has given up this right by consantly namecalling and using offensive & derogatory terms and by constantly slandering one of our own.

jayhawkinnebr is bad for this site.

All ye who second this motion, say "I do"

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 3 months ago

Banning him here wouldn't be an abridgment of his free speech. He'd still be free to, let's say, picket outside the Fieldhouse with a "God hates Brady" sandwich board.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

Maybe the LJW should form "Moderators". I hereby announce myself as Moderator for a day so I can delete Jayhawkfoolnebraska's account.

ParisHawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Without further ado, I do. That poster is doodoo.

Ron Franklin 4 years, 3 months ago

your a detriment to this posting team. it has nothing to do with hearing critical opinions.....the guy spews hatred....and that's it. he's not welcome. neither are you in my opinion.

hawknfl 4 years, 3 months ago

First off that was a great game played Monday night. Ball control still iffy, but if you can get the interior working that well it will negate some of the sloppy ball handling mistakes.

Not to change the subect, but in keeping with the positive vibe of these posts, did anyone else check this out on ESPN. I could not believe it when it was front page this morning.

This young lady has an incredible tattoo!

FarSideHawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Whatcha talkin bout Willis? Link please.

tis4tim 4 years, 3 months ago

It's a cruel irony her name is "Kat".

wrwlumpy 4 years, 3 months ago

When will Vitale speak to his pre-season ranking of the Jayhawks.

This just in... http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/rpi/index1

JRandall 4 years, 3 months ago

Brady's confidence has certainly left him this year. I doubt that comments on here are the real reason that Brady is having an off year. Brady is very highly thought of by 99% of jayhawk nation and always will be. He's a leader on and off the court and contributes in many ways other than scoring. If I were a betting man, count on Brady late in the season or March Madness to get some of his swagger back. We def need him and Reed to carry us late in the tough games. Reed is starting to remind me of a Kirk H... just heads up, hard nose play.

My biggest concern is with the sporatic guard play / turnovers from TT, JS and EJ. They all are very talented but make some very bad decisions at crucial times in the game. Just when we are about to Bleed the other team and close out the game, errant passes and bad decisions seem to happen.

Hang in there Brady. As for that Idiot posting hate comments on here, best thing to do is ignore him. He seem to be like Sarah Palin, the more attention he gathers, the more he post.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Ron Franklin 4 years, 3 months ago

agreed. that's why i'd like to to see more of reed & brady at the point.

Hank Cross 4 years, 3 months ago

You think Brady will help carry them in March, but you're concerned that TT, JS, and EJ will be a problem? What? Brady has only scored in double-digits SEVEN (7), times in his whole career, with none this year. This isn't a slump , it's his career. He's just not that good. I don't know why it's that hard to accept. He tries hard, but so what if it doesn't translate in the stat book.

TT, JS and EJ are going to have some TOs when they put the ball on the floor and go to the hoop. That's part of the game. And that's what was great about the Baylor game, breaking down the defense with the dribble. If they go away from that, and just rely on swing around looking for an open 3, there's going to be problems.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 3 months ago

Brady's not a scorer? What a startling revelation! And here I had him pegged as the next Allen Iverson.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

Ox: Why do you want Brady scoring in the first place? You want him taking point production and shots away from the other guys on the team especially Reed, Selby and the Twins? What does scoring in double figures in his career or for that matter scoring in general have to do with production and team efficiency? I also wouldn't lump EJ into that category with Selby and EJ. Since your so fixated on stats, outside of EJ's 4 fouls and 8 minutes he had 0's across the board.

Brady's Season:

First 10 games: Started every game. People had issue with that because he was starting. IMO and I've said this before Self was starting Morningstar simply because of chemistry issues and dynamics for the simple fact of only replacing Selby with Morningstar in the lineup. I can get more into this if you like, but I've said it to many times. Morningstar averaged 24.9 points in those first 10 games. Also note that Selby started the second half of that USC game in the 10th game.

Game 11 against California: Morningstar started, but only got 15 minutes as Selby came in and started the second half. This was the game where Selby's role was introduced and Morningstar's role changed (How many times has his role changed in his career?). Let's also note that EJ played only 7 minutes, but suffered the first of his two shoulder sepeartions or coming out of socket or whatever you want to call it injuries to his shoulder.

Last 7 games: If you include the California (Last 8 games) game Morningstar has been averaging 20 minutes a game. Morningstar is without a doubt a role player, but you have to remember that EJ again dislocated his shoulder in the Michigan game which led to Morningstar to getting 17 minutes.

We all know what happened in the Nebraska game for the reasoning of Morningstar getting 29 minutes. Selby and EJ simply didn't have it that day. We also know why Morningstar got his 18 minutes in the Baylor game because EJ got into early foul trouble and ended up with 4 fouls thus resulting in his 8 minutes.

Is Brady averaging 30 minutes? Not even close. Is Morningstar stepping up as a role player in the last 8 games when crazy things have happened to other players on the team.......without any hesitation yes, yes, yes!

The only game that I can not recall what the specifics were for EJ and KU's bench is the Iowa State game. Morningstar got 29 minutes that game and I can't recall what the issue was with EJ or KU's bench that lead to the extended minutes. What I can say is that Morningstar was 2-5, missed 2 3 point attempts, finished with 5 points, 4 assists, 5 rebounds, 1 steal and 1 turnover.

My only point is that you want to point to "30 Minutes", but he's not averaging 30 minutes. He wasn't even averaging 30 minutes when he was starting. There has been issues with guys getting hurt, foul trouble, and guys simply not playing well (Nebraska game) that has led to extra time for Morningstar in certain games since he was promoted to the bench.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 3 months ago

Well said. Of course, for the anti-Brady brigade, even 20 minutes is too much.

Hank Cross 4 years, 3 months ago

I only brought up scoring because everyone was talking about his "slump" and my point is that if anyone's expecting much more scoring out of him, they are going to be disappointed. He is not a "trey gun" (Jaybate's phrase) never has been, never will be.

In terms of assists, TT leads the way and Brady has about half as many total as him. Brady averages 2.2 apg, while TT is 5.1 apg, Selby is at 3.0 apg and EJ is at 2.1. In terms of total assists, Brady has 44 assists while EJ has 33 and Selby has 27. In terms of total minutes, however, Brady has 410, EJ - 235, and Selby - 247. Therefore, all three are more effective playmakers than Brady. Further, Brady doesn't create assists by driving while the other 3 do.

I get why Brady has been playing the minutes over the past 3 games due to injuries, and don't begrudge hinm 10-15 during a normal game when everyone is healthy. But, contrary to the original post - he's not going to be a mainstay in March.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 3 months ago

So you do "begrudge" him 20 minutes.

You left turnovers out of your playmaking calculus there.

JRandall 4 years, 3 months ago

Ideal staring line up after watching the hawks this far in the season.

Reed bringing the ball up, then going to the corner to knock down the 3's

Selby penetrating and creating for himself and dumping the ball off to the bigs

Little / Releford rotating in and out as the 3rd guard / small big shooting from the elbow and dishing off to the Morris Bros

MK / MM ruling the inside scoring and controlling the boards with TRob backing them up

midhawktx 4 years, 3 months ago

Not a Brady Hater here as I think the kid plays hard nosed D, but I want to talk about his shot. I know earlier, kusports had an article that touched on Brady changing his shot. Here is what I am seeing that is negatively influencing his percentage.
1. The old Brady stroke was straight up and down and released a bit on the way up. 2. Now he is trying to release his shot at the appex of his jump; however, he is releasing the ball on the way down causing a short shot. 3. To make up for the short shot, he is jumping forward at least 3 to 4 feet. Example, if he takes a 20ft three shot, he is landing at least 2 ft inside the arc.
4. Combining the release on the way down and the too much forward jumping, this causes his shot to be way short, or too long, and a flat arc.

Easier said than done, but if he could get the idea of releasing the ball at his apex, the ball will start falling. Those are my thoughts on his shot.

jhawklifer 4 years, 3 months ago

+1 on that. Maybe Brady and the staff are just too close to the situation to look at his stroke objectively at this point, but the jumping forward is absolutely evident. I will have to take a closer look at his release with your comment in mind; I'm thinking you're spot on.

midhawktx 4 years, 3 months ago

Of course I would also like to add that I'm not an expert at all compared with the KU staff. I'm sure they don't want to change anything mid-season.

Can't think of anyone else who had a more pure shot than Boesche and Haase. I think, fundamentally, there are not many better KU shooters.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

Rex Walters, Ron Kellogg, and Brandon Rush. It definitely was not pretty nor was it fundamental, but Downtown Terry Brown will be one of the bests ever. Ugly, but simply drained everything.

midhawktx 4 years, 3 months ago

Yes Shaw, I forgot about Rex Walters. And just because I say Blue Chips last night, how about Adonis Jordan. He lit it up for KU and on Blue Chips. DT Terry Brown was UGLY but he made it work.

Kurt Eskilson 4 years, 3 months ago

Terry Brown was the bomber who launched it from behind his head … to keep from getting blocked, right?

midhawktx 4 years, 3 months ago

You are correct there Viking. Behind the head in a circular motion. Many tried to imitate it, but only one Down Town!

Kye Clark 4 years, 3 months ago

No love for Billy Thomas yet? Man that kid could shoot!

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

I've never forgiven Billy Thomas for his 2/15 game against Rhode Island in 1998. He was freakin 2/13 from 3 point range. Oh, this brings back such horrible memories for me.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

I also forgot to mention I've never forgiven Billy Thomas for shooting 3/10 from 3 point range against Zona the year before. The two games that give me the biggest nightmares of my KU history and tradition........Billy Thomas is right in the thick of it by shooting a combined 5 of 23 from deep. ugggggg! Nightmares!

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 3 months ago

Actually Haase lost his shooting touch as an upperclassman (maybe had something to do w/ playing most of his senior year on a broken wrist.) Outside shooting may have been the fatal flaw on that team -- Jacque was not a shooter either -- although we did have Billy Thomas and Ryan Robertson off the bench.

The greatest pure shooter at KU in my memory was definitely Boschee. Unlike Billy Thomas and Terry Brown (who were also great), Jeff had absolutely no hitch in his release; he could get an accurate shot off with Ray Allen-like quickness and fluidity.

Ron Kellogg may belong in this discussion, too, but I don't really remember him.

bradynsdad 4 years, 3 months ago

I can't find a decent k state fansite I was wondering if anyone else has seen one to find out what fans are saying about frank Martin and his wildcats.

Ron Franklin 4 years, 3 months ago

I have a ksu degree too. they are saying.....fire frank martin & hire bill snyder to run all sports in the little apple, including the high school system.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

I think getting rid of Frank Martin is a bad idea. Yeah, he might admit he's done a bad job (He has to some degree) but Pullen, Kelly and others have really let him down from a leadership standpoint.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

Hell, they've let me down because I defended them a lot this season. I can't defend them much anymore. There in desperation mode with A&M and Baylor coming up. Must wins!

Ron Franklin 4 years, 3 months ago

of course, you know...i was kidding about Frank. They absolutely cannot lose him and his assistants. Manhattan is a black hole for recruiting....I am amazed that he is capable of doing it. His style is different.....but that's okay. His kids aren't responding to him this year for some reason. Maybe he needs to chill on the diet dr pepper during games.

akl6593 4 years, 3 months ago

jayhawkinnebr is bad for this site.

All ye who second this motion, say "I do"

I DO...

Ben Kane 4 years, 3 months ago

anyone know anything about this kid?

UPDATE: According to a report this morning from Evan Daniels of Scout.com, North Carolina doesn't appear to be in the top 4 for prized 2012 center Kaleb Tarczewski.

When asked about his top schools, Tarczewski told Scout.com: "Kansas is coming really hard. West Virginia really hard. UConn and Kentucky are starting to come pretty hard. It's been good."

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

He's coming to the KU/KSU game on January 29th along with Zach Peters, Nino Jackson, Perry Ellis, Julius Randle, and the Wanwright kid from Kansas City.

He plays ball with Tharpe and Alex Murphy on the same team. Some thing KU can both Tarc and Murphy, but KU doesn't need Tarc if KU gets Daniels, Ellis, and Randle down the line.

I can legitmately see all 6 of those guys playing together. I think Self is going to put the full court press on those 6.

dtownhawkfan 4 years, 3 months ago

I must admit the Peanut Butter Jelly Time deal was hilarious, I know I couldn't have made free throws with that going on.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

It's amazing to me how much JP Tokoto has fallen in the ranks in just a year and a half. A top 5 can't miss recruit that was a little ahead of everybody in his development, but he plateaued.

dynamitehawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for the link. Here's what I gather:

Kansas is ready to tap the 2012 season with Peters. Sweeet.

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 3 months ago

Man, I am glad Kensucky lost. They have another semi-tough one Saturday at South Carolina. Could be another loss. Great that the Jayhawks are creeping up on Kentucky for overall victories---it's just a matter of time before we catch up with them.

HawkBBall 4 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn, another good defensive display. Coach Knight commented you were not "wound very tight" because you dribbled the ball too far from your body. Tighten it up and keep up the concentration.

Marcus and Markieff, stay focused. Don't lose your temper. Keep up the good work.

Tyrel, keep it up!

Josh, follow the lead.

Phoggin_Loud 4 years, 3 months ago

It looks like Coach Gill landed another 4-star athlete who had offers from Arkansas, K-State, & Illinois among others.

ajhk 4 years, 3 months ago

OMG, Bill Self is such a Negative Nancy!

He better not post here on this board- take that as a warning Bill!

"When we get more consistent guard play..." Bill, there is no reason to trash our guards. Honestly, why don't you just leave it to the coach, I think he would know best, Bill! Now go away and stop ruining the season for all the optimists.

Totally serious post. Like so totally serious dude. Malice intended?

Rock Chalk!

BTW- all you guys lay off Jaybate's inability to earn employment.
Do you know how hard it is to roll 800lbs of fatty flesh off a flattened bed and through shrunken doorways before crapping yourself? Hardly achievable, and as he'll tell you, it's a freak'n days work!

Jeez, just try spending a day not able to escape your own scat plop dookie clouds! -or was that scatter plot data?

ajhk,

I don't know what its like, but it sure sounds like you could keep a family cannibals alive for a year with yours.

a-ss j-acked h-igh and k-icked.

Next.

HAWKTOPIA 4 years, 3 months ago

The hawks may lose a few players, and others may soon arrive, but when danny manning isn't coaching our bigs, and moves on to his next head coaching job, we will have lost the most.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 3 months ago

Man, I get on here with the best of intentions, and then more Brady debate. I am thus compelled to hit on the points above from midhawktx, blownjay, kushaw, oxcal, et. al. -- all good points.

One great point by midhawktx -- Brady's shooting. The guy is leaning into all of his jumpers and that is something that is a key, fundamental flaw. I think he can get that corrected.

Ok, with that, I am intrigued by the idea of Brady at the point made by Blownjay. I made the point after the Nebraska game that Brady created some opportunities by his penetration. Something that TT struggles with. TT had one nice drive a dish vs. Baylor. But the mind set that we would get from Brady (or Reed) would be drive with the intention of dishing, as opposed to the apparent TT mindset of drive with the intention of scoring.

In judging a point guard, I'd want:

1) Quickness (first step explosion); 2) Speed (basic point A to point B speed); 3) Passing ability (the ability to safely deliver the ball); 4) Creating ability (the ability and willingness to create scoring opportunities); 5) Ballhandling (the ability to reliably handle the ball at all times); 6) Court Awareness (really, to permit an effective open court game on the break); 7) Leadership (respect of teammates, knowledge of the game); 8) 3 ball threat (to hold his defender).

Do either Reed or Brady fit the criteria better than TT, Selby, or EJ? Here's how I judged each on a 1 - 5 scale, 1 the best, 5 the worst (in order of the categories above):

TT: 2, 1, 3, 4, 3, 2, 2, 4 = 21 Selby: 1, 2, 3, 2, 3, 3, 4, 1 = 19 EJ: 3, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2 = 22 Reed: 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 2, 1, 1 = 17 Brady: 4, 5, 1, 2, 4, 3, 1, 4 = 24

Of course, these are just my opinion and inexact. I think the thing that suprised me most was that Reed came out on top. I personally value ballhandling and creating ability the most of any of the categories. In those two, Selby would top the chart, but TT would be last.

Selby got downgraded for leadership .. that may not be very important. I mainly did that because he is a freshman.

Entertainment purposes only.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

Based on your criteria "As of Today". Not based on potential and only based on what has been presented on the court thus far this season.

tt: 1,1,4,3,3,3,2,4 =21 js: 2,2,3,3,2,2,3,1 =18 ej: 2,2,3,4,3,3,5,2 =23 tr: 2,2,2,3,3,2,1,1 =16 bm: 3,3,1,2,3,2,1,5 =20

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

Sherron Collins would in his junior, or senior seasons, have exceeded all those ranked subjectively under these criteria...for perspective on where these guys are right now. And if one were to rate Sherron on only when he had good wheels, whew!

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

Lebowski sayin' Selby strugglin'. Check.

Lebowski and kushaw sayin' get the ball in Selby's hands with more scripted plays, maybe clear outs, er, ummm....this will come in February, when he gets some kinks worked out, if he does.

Josh the Rippers, who I am just as high on as any one is, is already assigned 10-11 FGA per game. For perspective, Sherron only got assigned 15 FGAs per game in his junior year when he was packing the team animal on his stocky back alone. Give Josh the Ripper at least another month to work the kinks out, please!

Further, Josh already avgs. more TOs than a pop tart factory, with out palm dribbling and initiating the ball for a living at the point.

So long as Marcus and Kieff are able to average 55-60% on FGAs, the stochastic reality is my beloved Josh the Ripper is a cog this season.

As I've said before, what we're watching with Josh is what Self learned from Gianni Crisco with Wall at UK last campaign.

Wall, so long as Gianni Crisco tried to play through him, was not just an employee at the pop tart factory, he was the factory. And his FG percentage, especially from Trifectaville, got caught in the trap of the toilet, when he tried to run the team.

Gianni Crisco finally had to wake up and smell the espresso in late January and start playing through his bigs, Demarcus Doughboy and alliterative Pat Patterson to get the TOs low enough and the FG% high enough to play serious stretch ball.

And Self was watching. And I can only guess about what happened next and what was said, but here is my deep fried hypothesis.

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

Ah, this is good stuff. Language is contagious.

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

So Bill took Cin and the kids for a little get away to ol Eddie's place down on Grand Lake of the Cherrokees not long after he landed Josh. Alone, out Eddie's War Eagle, probably named something like The High and Dry," or something, Wild Bill looked at Eddie over some Liptons , and he said, "Whattya say, Edward, is Josh more like Derek Rose, or more like John Wall?"

And Edward, jiggin' the rod with the Mepps hooked on a rock, says, "You wanna wind up like me here on this rock, you start Josh at PG from the git go, Billy Boy. Josh is great point guard prospect, but he's like John Daniels. He needs to stay in the oak awhile, especially with Marcus already aged 12 years and smoooooooooooooooth! You saw what happened to the Crisco Kid down in Lexington last season. He wasted a potential ring team by trying to age Wall to fast. You can't really rush a PG kid. By the end, Billy Boy, everyone on that team full of illiterates knew Wall could not hold down the TOs low enough for them to get to Canaan in a canoe, including Wall himself. So, then, Billy Boy, the Crisco Kid, he had to junk all that they had been building, and turn Wall into a skinny Aaron Miles, and just have him slow down and feed the bigs to git the FG % up and the TOs down, and a respectable team. So many folks these days, Billy Boy, they just don't know enough to want respectable team. They want flash and dash. Don't drag your Mepps into the rocks, son."

Self sets a hook in a large mouth and starts reeling, and being the multi tasker he is, keeps talking about Josh.

"But coach, this Josh, I've waited my whole career for a lickety split that can guard, and score at will. I can't sit him out on a wing and just tell him to jump shoot. it ain't right. It isn't!"

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

"Billy, Billy, Billy, have you fergotten every thing I taught you. Nothin' in Eddie Ball is either/or. You don't have to park Josh out their like some darned fleet car at the Trifectaville air port, fer gosh sakes. There's always intermediate steps to take. You give him a month and a half with 10-11 FGAs per game. Let him develop at least a lick'o'sense about D1 speed and about gettin' guarded B12 style. Integrate him slow like. You know them bigs is gonna have their usual little coniption fits when they have to get used to playin' with him. You know big men, Bill. They ain't like us ol' piss ant guards. We been adapting to things since our mothers plucked from their teats. But the bigs? Well, they're like elephants in a way. Little things distract their routines in a big, big way. You give Josh 10 FGAs and tell him to guard somebody, get a rebound, strip a couple, and hold his TOs to 3-4, which you'll scold him just a little for, and he'll be as distracted and occupied as a young stallion in a corral with rattle snake."

"But then what, coach?" Self says as he nets a bass, he has no intention of cleaning, thinkin' maybe Sean, or Scott will do that as a favor.

"Come on, Bill, you know what. You be drawin' up a dozen plays and perfectin' them in practice all through January, and then come the back nine on the conference games, when the suckers around the B12, think they got you figured, you start playin' through Super Josh about 3-5 plays a game. Not enough for your bigs to need absorbents for their shorts, but enough to show that you got a third arrow in your quiver to go along with Marcus and Kieff. You clear Marcus and Kieff out to far side of that painted wood, tell the other boys to go run around the trey stripe thinkin' about their girl friends, and let Josh rip'em 4-5 new ones a game. Make sure it looks great on game tape. Let that pin headed Hubert Davis see it, so he runs pantin' to Coach Consonants down in Cancerville, tellin' all about how this flippin' Okie is pissin' on Henry's grave by clearin' out the side for this super star that moves at the speed'a'light. Get ever body all shook up, Billy Boy. Then pull back to play through them bigs the first two games of the Madness. Then start showin' Josh one game and not the other in the sixteen and eight. Then sit back and listen to Matta and Coach Consonants cursing you up one side and down the other for not sayin' when you're gonna play Okie Ball and when you're gonna clear it out."

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

Finally Eddied gets his Mepps freed up and looks Bill staight in the eye, serious as a Father telling his son the facts of life."

"Don't you dare play him at the PG, Billy Boy, until next season, if there be a next season for the kid, exceptin' for just occassional showin'. Josh, though his life after this season will be about revelatin' at the PG, this season was born to deliver your team with clear outs down the stretch, what you hoped for Xavier to do last year, but what he did not do enough. Shoot, you and I could go out, even at our ripe old ages, and play PG for Marcus and Kieff and win 25 the old fashioned way. But I'll tell you what. If you clear out the side for this Josh in the tournament, after player 8 minutes of sound ball the way I learned ya, then cut him loose about once every 4 minutes, the rest of the game, why you will have the opposition not knowin' whether to piss or say vinegar. You catch my drift, son?"

And Bill Self, who was the only assistant Eddie ever had that he never repeat anything twice for, said, "Here, Coach, this six pounder is for you. Fire up that Honda and get me back to the dock. I've got an idea for a whole sequence of clear outs, and I gotta punch'em into my lap top and get it back to Joe in Lawrence before he leaves for the day."

And Eddie put his War Eagle on plane and from that moment on, Josh was a secret weapon on the wing waiting to be unleashed in February.

The End.

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

One of my colleagues once put it this way.

"Win now, win later." :-)

Hank Cross 4 years, 3 months ago

I've been thinking about these stats which are supposed to reflect the actual impact a player has in a game and I think much of them are too clever by half.

If you want to compare a variable (player X) with another variable (player Y), then to begin with you would have to make sure that you compared them when they were each playing with same players, e.g. A, B, C, and D. Let's say A,B,C, and D are starters - and presumed to be the best players. Therefore I'm not sure really what comparing X with A, B, C, and D with Y playing with A, B, E, and F tells you. In the latter scenario, the point production may go down by the mere fact that E and F are not as good as C and D, and Y had nothing to do with the decline in point production.

Likewise, even assuming that X and Y always play with A, B, C, and D, the comparison really isn't valid unless the minutes are under the exact same game conditions. If X plays with A-D at the beginning of the game when the team is trying to grab a lead, that's a different scenario that Y playing with A-D in the second half of a blow-out.

DevilHawk,

KenPom, like so many sports statisticians, and increasingly like so many scientists, makes estimates and predictions based on nonparametric inference, which has no valid logic connecting sample to population, and, so, no valid justification for making inferences from a sample about a population at any level of confidence.

So: why not use + and - stats with huge variations, because none of it means much anyway.

I have studied and used parametric and nonparametric statistics for longer than I care to remember and here is what I have learned.

One is almost always wrong with both kinds of statistics, because of emergent complexity and unforeseen consequences, but there is something enobling about being validly wrong, rather than invalidly wrong.

jaybate 4 years, 3 months ago

The picture of Self at the top of the page--is it just me or does he not look a bit like Menoch the Basketball Coach in Anne Rice's new series of Vampire Basketball Novels?

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

The ceiling raised everywhere with the win against Baylor; practice, games, with the media, with the coach, and with the fans. It's good to see the Jayhawks play that well against a solid opponent on the road. Now Coach has the means to say, "this is how I've been wanting you to play", "this is how you need to do it". I think practices have taken on a new focus. It can only bring their average play closer to their ceiling.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 3 months ago

Fairgrove-

I think what HCBS wants to say is : Ok, you played to your true potential because there were NBA reps in the house. If you can play like that under those circumstances, you can practice at that same level and play other games similarly. Of course, he's too PC to be quoted with that statement.

It would be like me going out to play golf at a public course, playing a few holes in my normal style and seeing Tiger Woods coming up behind me. I would then kick it into a gear that I might actually be capable of ,in hopes that he would recognize my highest level of play and be impressed. (Of course... 1) I don't golf 2)Tiger wouldn't play a public course, 3) I would be banned from the course for life!)

Glen Darge 4 years, 3 months ago

Josh Selby hasn't showed me a thing. He should be pulled or benched. He can't do anything consistantly much less lead or pass. Why wasn't robinson sent home to be with his family? With the win-loss record our team has, we could afford to let him be with his family Win or loose.