Kansas defeats Baylor, 85-65

• 8:30 p.m., Jan. 17, 2011
  • The Ferrell Center, Waco, TX

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Twin-spired: Marcus and Markieff Morris lead ‘beautiful’ showing against Baylor

Kansas forward Marcus Morris (22) fades for a bucket in front of the Baylor defense during the first half. Morris had 25 points in the Jayhawks’ 85-65 victory over the Bears on Monday in Waco, Texas.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 85-65 victory over Baylor on Jan. 17, 2011.

Download podcast

— It’s tough to find the right words to describe the ultra-productive, utterly dominant play of Kansas University’s basketball team in the first half of Monday’s 85-65 victory at Baylor.

So let the No. 2-ranked Jayhawks (18-0 overall, 3-0 Big 12) paint the picture of a half in which they hit 79.3 percent of their shots in building a 53-32 lead over a Baylor team (12-5, 2-2) that had won 15 straight games in Ferrell Center.

“Beautiful. I don’t think we could have played any better,” freshman guard Josh Selby said of KU’s best shooting half in the Bill Self era — the most accurate overall performance in a half since an 85-percent outing versus Missouri on Jan. 19, 1991, in Lawrence.

“I wouldn’t say ‘perfection,’ but ‘close to perfection,’’’ noted junior forward Marcus Morris, who hit six of seven first-half shots, for 13 points

His brother, Markieff, iced seven of seven shots for 15 points as KU knocked down 23 of 29 attempts and five of nine from three-point range in the first half.

“Efficient,” chimed in head coach Bill Self, agreeing with a reporter who chose the word, “improbable.”

“Very improbable, especially when the other team plays zone,” Self added after KU shredded the Bears’ 2-3 zone.

Self said his Jayhawks were “zoned in better than at any time this year.”

Well, Marcus Morris said the Jayhawks were playing angry in response to Saturday’s 63-60 victory over Nebraska.

The players, he said, felt the reaction amid KU nation was that the Jayhawks were fortunate to be undefeated and might be headed for a loss soon.

“I definitely feel we have something to prove every game,” said Marcus, who finished with 25 points off 10-of-14 shooting while his brother had 19 points off 9-of-10 shooting. KU as a team finished at 62.5 percent to Baylor’s 48.8 mark.

“I feel like nobody gives us credit. I feel those games that were close this year, people really thought we were supposed to lose those games. There was a lot of talk how we’d come down here and lose,” Marcus added. “We keep those things to ourselves. We’re a big family team. I love my guys. We go out and play hard every night.”

It was speculated the Jayhawks also might have been upset in a pre-game video which showed highlights from Baylor’s 55-7 football victory over KU last fall. The video also showed the end of KU’s second-round NCAA Tournament loss to Northern Iowa while highlighting the fact Baylor made the Elite Eight.

“I didn’t see that,” Marcus Morris said. “Hey, there’s only one Northern Iowa. I’m going to tell you that it’s only going to happen once.”

Finally, there was speculation the Jayhawks were upset at some BU student fans who yelled insults before the game and shouted things at the KU bench throughout.

Selby, who scored 12 points with three assists and three turnovers in 29 minutes, playfully spoke to one fan leaving the court at halftime. He uttered the words, “It’s over,” to the fan.

“I said that at halftime and after the game, too,” Selby said with a smile. “It didn’t upset me. I just wanted to keep my focus. Fans will always give me a hard time. It’s over with. We played well to beat a good team tonight.”

The Jayhawks led just 16-15 with 12:55 remaining in the first half, then played near-perfect ball the rest of the session.

KU officials said it marked KU’s best shooting performance in a half in a road game at least since the 1989-90 season when in-depth records were starting to be kept.

“That was by far as well as we’ve played in a half,” Self said. “In the second half (during which BU cut the gap to 12, getting no closer than that), when they went with that little 3/4 zone press, we were content to get it across instead of attacking.

“This might sound bad, but this is the most ready team that we’ve had play this year. Going through the locker room, our energy, all the guys on the same page, our focus. That’s something we’ve struggled with. We even struggled with it in the second half, certainly for 20 minutes we had it.”

KU was outscored 33-32 the second half.

Kansas will meet Texas in a 3 p.m. tipoff Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse.

Interactive Timeline

2010-11 KU men's basketball timeline

rockchalkchampionship 4 years, 10 months ago

I haven't even read the article yet. Before I do, I have to congratulate Nick Krug on this photo. That's an incredible shot by Nick (and by Marcus too, I might add).

Otownhawker 4 years, 10 months ago

Who cares about the second half score?

Point is we kicked as*, best game of the year, this was never really a game. And another thing, if they don't go to the line to shoot 30 free throws we win by 30

hawk316 4 years, 10 months ago

Wow! That first half...what can you say, but...WOW!

LAJayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

"...when they went with that little 3/4 zone press, we were content to get it across instead of attacking...."

Exactly right. KU played an excellent first half. Tremendous. Best they've looked all season, by far. Not even close. Now they just have to find a way to do it for a full 40. And to answer your question, Otownhawker, when we face top competition in the tournament, playing a full game will be the difference between a possible Final Four birth and watching from home.

That being said, I mentioned a couple of times that if we controlled Dunn, we'd handle Baylor fine (in Baylor's now 5 losses, he's shooting under 30% from 3), as we match up well with their athletic bigs. Obviously one of the main reasons why KU was able pull away in the first half was the tremendously aggressive attacking of the zone on the offensive end. It was quite impressive.

But credit has to go to the defensive effort on Dunn. We let some other players go at times by not being in proper position, but whomever was guarding Dunn (TT, Brady, et al) was in his jock the whole game. Take away the 3 LaceDarius made with 35 seconds left when we weren't even playing anymore, and he went 0 for 2 for the game.

2 attempts for 39.5 minutes.

Bare in mind he averages 9.9 three-point attempts a game (and took 18 attempts when he scored 42 against Morgan State).

We attacked relentlessly (for 25-30 minutes at least) offensively and did what was needed defensively.

Now just imagine if that happened for 40 minutes.... there is no one in the country that could beat this team playing that hard for a full 40.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 10 months ago

Couldn't agree more about the defensive effort on Dunn. Really good players will get theirs at times, but overall, couldn't have done any better on Dunn.

ksyank 4 years, 10 months ago

Everybody wants to break the game down into isn't 2 20 minute games. They played great. They aren't going to blow out good teams on the road in the Big 12 by 40, just isn't going to happen.

YuCoJayHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

yep, when any team plays a first half with a record breaking shooting %, the law of averages will come into effect 9 times out of 10 in the second half. To see that KU played almost even (33-32) in the second half is prob. as well as you could expect and to still win by 20 on the road is nothing but impressive.

LAJayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Also have to give Self a lot of credit. He had these guys fully prepared on how to beat this zone, and they executed brilliantly.

Well done, coach.

waywardJay 4 years, 10 months ago

Agreed. He got all 10 players in the shot, and Selby looked gassed :)

Not what I was expecting 'Hawks. Got the text at Half and immediately called from work to see what had just transpired..... especially in such a short time.

It appears the Morri's have official become leaders, and There was one moment i noticed in the first half that stung true.... Markieff slapped down on a Baylor big who was dribbling near the basket, he immediately recoiled his hand away from the player as the ball went out of bounds of Morris, and surprisingly no foul was called. That's autmoatic, especially considering the officiating crew was a particularly Aggressive bunch. hartzell and higgins have both been two I have groaned about having call our games. Markieff got the benefit of the doubt, which on the road, in an impact game in the conference, and against such talented bigs, was a huge advantage. Had he picked up a foul there he likely wouldhave had to go to the bench, thus his portion of the scoring might not have happened later in the half.....

two weeks ago that would have been a whistle on him, and likely Trob coming in.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 10 months ago

I guess we shouldn't copy/paste that material you were regurgitating on Saturday should we? Glad your prediction(s) didn't come true.

waywardJay 4 years, 10 months ago

I guess Brady's out of his slum, eh Kushaw ?

I honestly did not think kansas stood a chance. I'm glad they proved me wrong.

There was a part of me that was torn, I knew last time we played them down there they fell flat, it seems this team plays us better in Allen, and thank goodness.

I'm glad they saw a team that could give them fits and stomped on the gas. Gives me hope they will come out of this allright.

But by all means, GO back and filter through the Saturday Game... and while your at it, why don't you bring back all your brady backing quotes.... because anyone who watched that game knows Brady was costing us yesterday.

None of us are experts, son.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 10 months ago

Brady's not out of his shooting slump, that's for sure, but the rest of his game is fine. EJ getting into foul trouble also allowed the few extra minutes for Morningstar as well.

I'm not a "Brady Backer" I understand what he is. He's a role player and I've understood that from Day 1. I also understood why he was getting so many minutes from Day one the first 10 games of the season.

He's a 10 to 15 minute guy which is exactly what he got last year the last 7 games of the season. EJ, Morningstar, and T-Rob were the first 3 off the bench last night. Morningstar had to play more last night because EJ was in foul trouble. What more do you want?

So, Brady cost KU yesterday? I'm sure Brady cost KU on Saturday as well. There's no reason for me to filter back through Saturday's game because the guys in the second half played pretty darn well to get KU back in the game and get the "W". You and I will forever disagree about this one particular component of KU basketball.

At the moment, the one thing I do agree with you is that everybody is playing KU tough at the Phog. Hopefully, that will change. Let's hope this team doesn't "Rise" and "Fall" based on who their playing going forward. We shall see.

Why did you call me son? You seem agitated.

ParisHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

I was going to just disappear from this site because I don't want to be lumped in with the nattering nabobs of negativism, but now I see that it's motivating the Twins!

So: lousy second half! Sit Brady! Sit everybody! We're gonna lose to Texas!

Marcus, you hear me?

Ron Franklin 4 years, 10 months ago

The Negative Nancies that frequent this site are making this season less enjoyable for me.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 10 months ago

Not after this game! Your chest should be sticking out a mile wide.

lincase 4 years, 10 months ago

Agree. Their collective glass is not just half empty, it has a slow and steady leak!

ParisHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Coined for Spiro by William Safire, R.I.P.

Alohahawk 4 years, 10 months ago

According to some of the above player's quotes, the "coconut wireless", as it's called in Hawaii, did reach the ears of the team. If it took board talk and its discussion of the game results against Nebraska and the Hawks other recent games to help bring about a win, so be it. I considered the difficulties encountered in the Nebraska game a Godsend. It appears that it did give incentive to the Hawks: An impressive frame of mind to prove to those fans, doubtful as some have been, that the Hawks are deserving of their high ranking. I think Nebraska plays much tougher defense than Baylor, and this game illustrated that NU's national defensive ranking is well deserved. The Hawks learned a lot from that Nebraska game, and it carried over to today's game.

While I thought the Hawks would win against Baylor, I admit that I'm surprised at the margin of the final score. There are many reasons I've always been proud to be a Jayhawk fan and today's game is one of them.

Now, on to our next opponent, Texas. One at a time, Hawks. RCJHGKU

Andy Tweedy 4 years, 10 months ago

I think Bishop Miege plays much tougher defense than Baylor! Still, a great win, Baylor has some really good players and the boys smoked them!!!

Alohahawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Oh, by the way. I doubt any of you trolls who crawl out from under your backwood's distilleries will admit reading about today's game, but you can go ahead and type in your comments anyway. You'll still be wasting your time because I still won't read your troll dodo!!!

fansincewilt 4 years, 10 months ago

Best half by the Jayhawks since we trounced the Tar Heels in the first half of the final four in 2008. If I remember correctly, that became a four point game before the end. It's hard to fault anything this team did last night. They did let up a little in the 2nd half but that looked like it was by design. Taking the air out of the ball in the second half restricts the opposing team's ability to come back. You could see this team putting on a little more pressure when the score got to within twelve. Anyway, great game by what is becoming a great team.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 10 months ago

Yes! Any post is a fantastic post when your bring up UNC 2008. I agree, it's hard to play with a big lead with a lot of time left, but KU held their own and then finished the game out.

David Lara 4 years, 10 months ago

I was thinking the exact same thing. At the half I was thinking a lot about that UNC game. And guess what? Just like 2008 we come out and leave the door open for them to get back in. Luckily the momentum shift paralleled that UNC game since we ended up getting our "stuff" together and put them away for good. Eerily similar game for sure.

In all honesty, I'm not as worried about competing for a full 40 mins as I am about closing out games. Every team is going to make adjustments when they are losing big and play a different game in the 2nd half. As long as we make whatever adjustments necessary to get back in the driver's seat and finish it off. It's all about finishing, folks.

hawkgirl 4 years, 10 months ago

"Every team is going to make adjustments when they are losing big and play a different game in the 2nd half."

Everyone except Rick Pitino/KY in KUs 150-point blowout, even when Coach Roy spelled it out for him (i.e., stop pressing).

Pretty bad when KUs coach has to make the other team's adjustment! Gee, KY, we gave you Adolf Rupp; do we have to do everything for you?

hawkdiek 4 years, 10 months ago

I still have it on my dvr. We have a party twice a year and watch it!

Woody Cragg 4 years, 10 months ago

Looked like boys vs men last night. Guards get alot of credit for finding the seams and then the men knocking down the shots. Guards defense was really tough on Bears ball handlers-lots of doubles & quick switches. Wow, 79% in the first half? Are you kidding me?! The Brady bashers need to stay in the woodwork after this one. Don't think "four losses in a row" has much credibility either. I think those guys must be relatives-or just senile! Maybe they're in the same "home". LOL

Tony Bandle 4 years, 10 months ago

The reason I predicted a victory was simple...everything said we were going to lose. It felt like KU although undefeated and favored by 4 was the big underdog. In college basketball that's a sure sign to look for the unexpected.

My personal highlight.......Scott Drew looking even more clueless than the Baylor players!!

Basketball Ability Yet Little On-court Reasoning......................................:) :) :)

clevelandjayhawker 4 years, 10 months ago

Give Danny "Assiantant of the millenium" award for the work he has done with big men over the last few years?

What were the baylor fans saying? Why was Kieff yelling at them in some of the close ups?

Really that is their pre-game video......Stay Classy waco

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 10 months ago

JHWK 4 years, 10 months ago

'Stay Classy Waco!' Awesome!

For such a purportedly religious school, the lack of class with the pre-game video and the fans, it just goes to show that anyone can wear any clothes they want. Who they really are is underneath.

Nice to go a whole game without a T under pressure! OK, well, now that I think about it there were none against NU either!

Nice win over CO, Nebraska!!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Go KU!!

jayhawkinATL 4 years, 10 months ago

I wonder where that Baylor troll is who posted on this site after the football whoopin' we took saying that we were going to get the same on Big Monday??? Ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

eastcoasthawk 4 years, 10 months ago

You could just see some of this coming together over the last 3 games and have to say how much fun it was watching these guys play last night. Seeing Marcus attack the basket, Selby putting up a left handed layup instead of crossing his body to shoot with his right, TT and BStar shutting down Dunn. It was all coming together and I just hope this is our team finally gelling for the season. Wow!

Chris Shaw 4 years, 10 months ago

+1-Great to see the kids smiling and playing some ball. Like Dennis Quaid says in the rookie with a giddy smile......"We get to play baseball today!" Well, Basketball is fun.

jayhawkintexas 4 years, 10 months ago

The sleeping giant awoke and he was mad!! Great game, guys. That was pretty classless of Baylor to show the football highlights and the UNI game highlights. Beat Texas!!

Dyrk Dugan 4 years, 10 months ago

i predicted a loss in this game, so it's nice to see it not come true. Of course, i didn't realize that Baylor would play a pre game video showing our UNI loss in the NCAAs and the Baylor FB team beating up on our football team.....that's embarrassing since the coach had his team walk out on our pre game video last year (and that showed zero Baylor losses.)

But we attacked in this game....ATTACKED. that's how we need to play. get after it, use our athleticism and play through the twins. it's not that hard...and when we do it, we have great results. Baylor may be underachieving right now, but no way should they give up 80% shooting for a a lot of credit goes to the Jayhawks and the coaches for the hardcore focus.

can we do it again this Saturday? maybe not 80%....but a win over UT is always good.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 10 months ago

Holy cow! That's interesting about their pre-game video. Pretty classless if you ask me. Good to see they got their teeth kicked in for it.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 10 months ago

Maybe KU should show Baylor losing in the NIT finals to Penn State from a couple of years ago.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 10 months ago

Wow, didn't realize that .. sounds like something Missouri would do. Surprised they weren't selling Bucknell t-shirts.

DevilHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Mizzou would show their home-win over KU during the 08-09 season.

They will probably also show some highlights from the K-State and Illinois games from earlier this season and whatever else they can pull together depending on how the remainder of this season treats them.

Kyle Cornish 4 years, 10 months ago

The loss to Northern Iowa was shown during a timeout, not the intro. It was showing 3 things Baylor does better than KU (Taller team, better football and better finish in 2010). The Jayhawks stayed on the floor and watched the actual intro video.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 10 months ago

Wow! Game wasn't flawless, but it sure was complete with intensity, focus, and sharpness from both sides off the ball. What a performance! Pretty pleased with the overall effort from start to focus! That's what we KU fans have been waiting for. Bob Knight was on top of his game last night announcing this game. He brought his "A" game along with the Jayhawks last night. Most of things Bob Knight pointed out from a teaching standpoint where the Jayhawks need to get better were right on. Here are some his snipits:

1) Taylor is a little "Wrapped Tight". He couldn't have said any better considering the shaky start Taylor had last night with his ball handling. Taylor had a very good game last night from a decision making standpoint, but it would be nice to show a little more consistency. Up and down game, but his positives outweighed his negatives.

2) Josh "Showtime" Selby needs be called "Shotfake Selby". Knight's analysis on Selby was right on. He does have a lot to learn and I enjoyed is take on the AAU/HS vs College conversation he was having. As Knight was saying, Selby needs to pump and go out on the perimeter. I've been saying it since his second game.

3) I was actually very shocked to see Baylor go to a man at times last night. They haven't done that in almost two years. Knight also caught exactly when Baylor switched from the zone to man. I'll be honest, I really enjoy Knights calm presence on air. Sure is different from his sideline antics.

4) Knights illustration on the backdoor that Morningstar got beat on was great. Not because Morningstar got beat (Some of you out there loved it I'm sure) but how he took the time to illustrate it for the viewers. You get beat defensively, but Morningstar knows better than to compound it with a foul.

5) T-Rob had a rough game taking care of the ball, but I loved it when Musberger and Knight were talking about his energy coming off the bench.

Other Notes:

-Offensive rebounding was awesome tonight. The quartet of T-Rob, Twins, and Little played the best I've seen them play together. Granted, T-Rob got yanked on his last turnover, but I'm never worried about T-Rob anymore. Even when he's struggling he'll find a way to make an impact.

-Defensive gaps were awesome tonight. Help defense and on ball defense was terrific on Dunn. Yeah, he got his points, but the defensive effort was fantastic on him by Taylor and Morningstar. Selby was everywhere defensively getting his hands on the ball. I love to see it. Anybody else chuckle when Reed was guarding Anthony Jones?

-The work Little did in only 7 minutes was awesome. If he keeps that efficiency up the rest off the season, Wow!!!!!!!

-3 point shooting was a lot better. Reed was great. Selby needs to pump and go. I didn't agree with 2 of Marcus' shots from the corner, but oh well.

Chris Weaver 4 years, 10 months ago

oh, and A Jones looked like snoop dog. just an observation.

Steve Kubler 4 years, 10 months ago

Laughed my rear off when I saw Reed on Jones. You could tell by the look on Tyrel's face he was determined not to let him have the ball. That and he expected to get squashed in the process!

What a game!

Chris Shaw 4 years, 10 months ago

Jones has a pretty sweet stroke. He's awkward, but Knight is right......the kid has a place in the NBA. Anthony Jones that is. He doesn't do a lot for that team besides shoot the ball. Pretty crazy to think and he's 6'11.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 10 months ago

-The only two negatives were the "Spurts" by Taylor in the first half and the little run in the second half by Baylor in the second half with the multiple turnovers on consecutive possessions. However, Baylor is no slouch and you knew they were going to make some type of run.

In the end, this was the best game of the season by far and to compound that success, Knight had some great broadcasting analysis which was nice to listen to for a change.

Woody Cragg 4 years, 10 months ago

We can out "finesse" alot of these teams with the OAD's, blue-chippers, whatever, but the Big East teams put lots of bodies on you and those are the teams that we will struggle against. If these kids learn how to keep their poise when playing a Pitt, or even a Nebraska (their center looked like an offensive tackle also related to Dan Whitney), they will go a long way this year. But the trash talk & hot-doggin can't be out of control. I couldn't believe Jones' pounding his chest like Tarzan after a dunk when his team was down, count em, 21 points. I'm too old school for that garbage. Have fun yeah, but would like to see the upperclassmen do a little less of that stuff. Leave the acting out to the young guys and us old farts. We can get away with some of it too!

Chris Shaw 4 years, 10 months ago

There was a lot of trash talking going on with both squads and guess who was right in the middle of it? The Twins were barking in timeouts and just staring down at the Baylor bench. I don't blame them to some degree, but it's got to be controlled a little more IMO.

Woody Cragg 4 years, 10 months ago

The real downer for me in almost all sports now is the classless way competiors carry themselves. It's like no one teaches sportsmanship anymore. Probably a direct result of too many parents involved with kids sports, which I not so politely refer to as "Daddy Ball". You know, where all the coaches kids make the all star teams regardless of skills cause the coaches all vote for each others kids? Ditka said "why celebrate if you make a good hit, that's what you're supposed to do?!" Let your play do the talkin, and if you can't then STFU. Ah, for the good ol days.

cmm889 4 years, 10 months ago

Really proud of the way the Jayhawks showed the critics. I hope they can take that fire with them into the rest of conference play

Way to go hawks.

Theutus 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm still not convinced to be honest.... Granted, we played a great first half, then we turned around and got beat in the second half.

The first half isn't going to happen, it was one of those fluke nights where we couldn't miss if we tried... It's cool and all, but it's not going to happen very often.

It's really worrying me that this team has major issues getting motivated... If it takes a bunch of KU nation coming to the realization we are playing like crap to finally get these guys to stop dragging ass, that's not good...

I still think our guards are playing absolutely terrible (with the exception of Reed). If you watch the film you'll see that when we don't immediately work the ball through the twins, we have nothing. Our offense sits stagnant kicking the ball around the perimeter until someone forces something up. It's like we completely forget how to actually run an offense.

Call me crazy, but we still have a TON of work to do if we want to make a deep run in the tournament... Starting with Self finding a way to motivate the team to put out 100% all the time.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 10 months ago

I agree that guard play still needs to improve, but... wow. If you can't come up with more positives after a win like that, maybe you just don't enjoy KU basketball very much.

"Got beat in the second half?" Really? By 3 whole points, shaving the final margin down to a mere 20? THIS is what you choose to complain about?

Theutus 4 years, 10 months ago

It's all a matter of perspective...

Those of us that were highly competitive college/professional athletes typically see things differently... We never settle for anything... There is always room for improvement, and you never dwell on the positives...

That's just how we think. You focus on improvement each and every day, and that is what makes you better.... You want a pat on the back? Call your mom.

It's really funny that people get all bent out of shape about it, because I can guarantee you Self thinks this way as well... I've never played for a single coach that said "You guys were awesome and that's all!". That only comes when you've won it all. Until then, back to work.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 10 months ago

I agree that a coach should focus on the negative as much as possible after a win like this. However, since you're not the coach but rather a FAN, there's really no reason for you to focus ONLY on the negative.

Theutus 4 years, 10 months ago

Again, if you don't like it just don't read my posts... I'm not going to quit posting because you are crying about it.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 10 months ago

Ha ha. You whine and moan about a mere 20-point Jayhawk victory, and then have the audacity to call ME out for "crying?"

Woody Cragg 4 years, 10 months ago

Damn, I just knew you were really special. That's called blowin your own horn, hotrod. Thanks for sharing such insight. We are certainly all impressed. LOL

GeoHawk15 4 years, 10 months ago

I might not be quite as much doom and gloom, but I agree with your ideaology, Theutus. We definitely need more balance from our guards. Great to see progress though!

Woody Cragg 4 years, 10 months ago

Then work the rock through the twins!!!

JHawk74 4 years, 10 months ago

Not sure why Self didn't play Little more in the game. He had a great game for 7 minutes but the team seems to click better when he is on floor. He can hit the mid range shot, the 3 pt shot and post up inside. Maybe Self thought his size was going to be a factor against Baylor tall forwards and Center. Great game KU!

Jim Roth 4 years, 10 months ago

He went in late too. After Withey. Don't know if the reason was matchup or doghouse. But he sure played when he got in there.

Chad Dexter 4 years, 10 months ago

Pretty sure that Self was not happy with Withey after he stunk it up in his short time on the court last night.

Little did exactly what he was supposed to do. Good game by Mario.

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 10 months ago

I was happy for the Twins. My Jayhawks did me proud. It was a great day and night of basketball on ESPN. All the teams I wanted to win, won, except I kind of wanted K-State to win. Just shows that the Kitty Kats were overrated to begin with.

One game at a time, right fellas? Texas is next. Not going to worry about other teams that are highly ranked with the Jayhawks. I have a feeling Ohio State will lose down the road and, I am not sure if I want the Jayhawks to have that #1 ranking right now. Mainly because the rankings right now don't matter.

I will say this. When the Jayhawks win like they did on the road, it silences a lot of critics and keeps all the stupid trolls away from this site. For that, I thank my beloved Jayhawks! Nice win, guys! Keep trying to improve and working hard.

NH_JHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

We've come a long way since that "5th in the B12" prediction was made. Hilarious then and even more hilarious now.

Ron Franklin 4 years, 10 months ago

If the twins continue performing like this, they'll both be be first rounders.

Kind of a catch 22.

Theutus 4 years, 10 months ago

Absolutely... Twins played fantastic, i just hope Self can find a way to keep them motivated all the time.

It really seems like that is their biggest hurdle, staying motivated to put out 100% all the time.

Ron Franklin 4 years, 10 months ago

nice...dang it, why didn't I think of that.

DevilHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Only if one team puts itself in position to draft them both. They play significantly better when on the court together than while they are on the court separately.

tis4tim 4 years, 10 months ago

Wow. I was so jacked after last night's game, I didn't get to sleep for several hours afterwards. Yada, yada yada...I'm tired this morning.

What a pleasure to watch. I was so impressed with the speed of the game, and KU's domination in the first half. We did what we wanted when we wanted. Kushaw always does a nice breakdown of the individual players, so I won't try to do a Kushaw lite, but here is what I liked:

I loved seeing Taylor pick and choose spots in the zone to attack. He was a bit careless with the ball and he still makes those lazy one-handed push passes, but overall I thought he was great.

I loved that we controlled the tempo, especially in the first half and finished the half strong, unlike the the last 3-5 minutes of so many other halves over the years. I love even more that when the tempo slowed in the second half it was because we were the ones slowing it down.

I loved watching Bill Self try to suppress a smile every time his team went back to the bench for a television timeout. Even he couldn't hide his exuberance at how well the guys were executing his game plan. It was nice to see.

I loved the energy.

I loved the energy even more considering how we slogged through the NU game just two days prior and played our third game this week.

I loved Drew's quote at halftime with Holly Rowe after she asked him what his team needs to do better to control KU. He said something to the effect that it was the country's fault for saying Kansas was the worst 17-0 team they'd seen.

I loved hearing the Rock Chalk chant at the end of the game and had to laugh as the remaining fans tried in vain to drown it out.

I loved Bob Knight's energy. He is a pleasure to listen to for his knowledge of the game, but his monotone drone over the past couple seasons often turned into white noise over the course of a broadcast. He seems to be settling in as a color guy and I couldn't be happier. I watched brief moments of the SU/Pitt game with Vitale...'nuff said.

Finally, my wife loved the fact that I didn't curse during the entire broadcast last night thanks to the inspired play and the 21-point halftime lead.

I hope this performance will carry over to Texas and beyond. Rock Chalk!

Chris Shaw 4 years, 10 months ago

+1 By the way, having a get together for the K-State game with KU alunmi in two weeks at my place.

hawkdiek 4 years, 10 months ago

LOL....Oh c'mon we could hang willy as a Piñata!

REHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

What a fantastic first twenty minutes of college basketball! I have been quite negative lately in my comments toward Tyshawn, and have not exactly risen to the defense of Brady. But am quick to proclaim today that those two players did an amazing job on Lace Dunn. At times, #24 stood almost bewildered during the heat of battle. By the final minutes I felt almost sorry for him, even a touch relieved when he scored that 3 to keep his streak alive. After all, Big 12 personal records are well worth maintaining in the national spotlight, even on teams which are coached by a weasel. The twins were absoutely stupendous throughout the first half, and guards did a fine job of breaking down the Baylor zone. NBA scouts might have come to take measure of the super frosh, but certainly departed with a more than positive take on the Morii.

AsadZ 4 years, 10 months ago

I was thinking about the same thing and also for Reed. Wouldnt it be nice if somehow Reed can make it to NBA.

farawayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Yes, I agree Asad. He gets far too little credit for the impact he provides. Also tired of the Brady-bashers. He is obviously not a superstar but there is more to basketball than putting up points. Although some points from him would be really nice:)

741hawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Regarding the pregame video:

Wow. I thought there were smart people at Baylor. (Oh, wait. One player killed another player and the coach covered for him.) I wonder who down there thought the pre-game video was a good idea? Only losers revel in their opponents' misfortune. Gee, that reminds me of an institution to the east that has never even sniffed the Final Four.

whatever18 4 years, 10 months ago

Wow 741hawk, I'm trusting that your post is intended to be nothing but ironic. Would have been great if you had stopped with the next to last sentence, but then you go on participate in the same classless behavior you accuse "losers" of.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 10 months ago

It would have been nice for Reed to have completed that alley oop. That would have been such a dagger that a guard was allowed to be set up for an oop.

Michigan should be thinking how fortunate they were not to have had last night's Jayhawks show up in their house. Same thing for Nebraska. In fact, this has to put some fear in the entire B12. If we can only walk the walk consistently. .

Kye Clark 4 years, 10 months ago

I was thinking the same thing about Reed. Bob Knight criticized the pass considering it was Reed on the receiving end, but I thought Reed should have at least caught it. Sadly, he failed to execute his Billy Hoyle/White Men Can't Jump moment.

Jim Roth 4 years, 10 months ago

He needed a 60" vertical, not 40". I think Selby didn't realize who was inside that blue shirt he was throwing to.

Chad Dexter 4 years, 10 months ago

This. Reed can jump, but he isn't 7 feet tall.

Kye Clark 4 years, 10 months ago

It's early, but I want to see everyone of these clowns who were in here yesterday predicting a loss. Not that we should all be a bunch of homers that think we should go undefeated every year. Obviously even the best teams lose games here and there in this day and age. Nor should we do nothing but sing the praises of this team everyday. I think most of us nit-pick little things this team could do to get better, but amidst all of our little criticisms of this team (and some are perfectly valid criticisms) I think some fans lost sight that this is a really good basketball team. You don't "luck" your way into an 18-0 start, and predicting a middle-of-the-road Baylor team to beat us...please.

But what exactly was the rationale for Baylor beating us? Our mediocre play against Nebraska? Baylor had just gotten waxed by an Iowa St. team we defeated. Baylor's impressive body of work this year? They've beat NOBODY! Their elite 8 run last year? Simply not the same team without Ukepe Udoh. Maybe some fans were star-struck by LaceDarius Dunn and potential #1 overall pick Perry Jones. Then again, we've got some guys that can play too. The only marginally valid reason for predicting an upset would be that Baylor plays a zone. But again, it's just not the same zone without Udoh in the middle of it.

So while some of you doubters may be thinking of giving yourself a big pat on the back for motivating this team, maybe you did, but we all know that wasn't your intent coming on here with your doom and gloom yesterday.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 10 months ago

Well, I think given our performance on Saturday, plus the fact that it was a road battle against a team with talent and something to prove, plus our previous difficulties vs. the zone, plus the fact that a lot of our guards have been slumping, plus the law of averages that says we're likely to lose at some point -- those who predicted a loss (including Keegan, I believe) can be forgiven.

What I can't forgive are those who even today are trying to downplay this great win, crying about the fact that we "lost" the second half by three points.

Kye Clark 4 years, 10 months ago

Well your first point I discounted in my original post

• "Given our performance on Saturday." Yeah I read this one a couple of times yesterday. I argued yesterday, and was never successfully countered, what is the logic behind saying one expects us to lose because we won a sloppy game against Nebraska, when on that same day Baylor lost to Iowa State? You can't use one team's recent play as an indicator as to how it will continue to perform while completely ignoring the other team's recent play.

I also discounted your third point, although it was something I was willing to slightly accept, but only if one had not seen Baylor play this year.

• "our previous difficulties vs. the zone". Again, anyone who had watched Baylor's zone this year would have known it was soft without Ukepe Udoh in the middle.

The law of averages does not apply. Just because we had won 17 straight one cannot predict a loss against the next opponent, because by your law of averages logic it would not have mattered if we were playing Baylor or Longwood or Saint Mary's Sisters of the Blind...we had one 17 straight and the law of averages says we're likely to lose at some point right? The law of averages is a theory that says that over a large sample with X number of equally possible outcomes, over time the number of occurances of the outcomes will average out. There are too many variables and the possible outcomes - KU wins or Baylor wins - are not equally possible. To put it more's not the same as flipping a coin.

I can buy the idea that one thought we might lose given our slumping guard play. It wasn't enough for me to believe that because the Twins had (and continued to do so last night) been playing the best basketball of their careers, but I can see how when matched up with a talented front court like Baylor has one might think LaceDarius Dunn gave them the edge.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, I actually agree with most of what you are saying here. I didn't make a prediction one way or the other; I wouldn't have been shocked if we had lost, but maybe if I had a chance to watch some of Baylor's previous games as you had, I wouldn't have been so worried.

DevilHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

We gave up 48.8% FG shooting; 50% 3-pt shooting; and 26 free throw attempts - while simultaneously shooting 62.5% FG; 38.9% 3-pt; and 8-9 FT against the zone.

If you apply our shooting percentages from previous (legitimate) games to this game, then this is what results:

NU: 26-56; 6-18; 5-9; 63 ISU: 26-56; 5-18; 5-9; 62 Michigan: 20-56; 3-18; 7-9; 50 Cal: 25-56; 7-18; 7-9; 64 USC: 22-56; 7-18; 6-9; 57 UCLA: 29-56; 8-18; 5-9; 71 Arizona: 30-56; 6-18; 6-9; 72 Memphis: 32-56; 10-18; 5-9; 79

If you compare those numbers against the numbers we actually allowed Baylor (65 points), then we lose this game 5 of 8 times - 62.5%.

Half of those games would be close games within 2 possessions and strategy near the end of the game is quite different in those types of games, but as a road game it favors Baylor.

I'm not saying that it was smart to pick against KU, but it was certainly justified when you exclude our genuinely easy games. If you use our numbers from the Colorado State game (identical to the NU numbers), then the statistics are even more in Baylor's favor.

This game was all about offense - mostly in the first half. If we had played like we had been playing, then we likely would have lost a close game. On the other hand, if we had held Baylor down on defense (in addition to our offense), then we would be looking at a 30 or 40 point rout rather than a mere 20 point win. (32 point win had we also held Baylor to 40% overall and from beyond the arc.)

Mike Bratisax 4 years, 10 months ago

Well I don't think myself a clown but I did predict a loss. I also thought it would motivate us and predicted a win against Texas. I also stated that we would win or at least tie for the reg. season Big 12 title.

Glad to be wrong.. Glad we didn't need a loss to get motivated.

Not going to apologize.

Clarence Haynes 4 years, 10 months ago

Yesterday bobbyfissure posted the following:

bobbysfissure (anonymous) says… "This could easily be the start of four loses in a row. Let's face it, Kansas basketball does not have the talent to win the big twelve. For too many games they have looked mediocre. Not only is Selby not John Wall but so far he's also no Sherron Collins. Withy has not panned out and the Morris twins are too small to compete with the monsters of the midway (rebounding). Robinson is our only man on the floor. Can he guard Perry Jones? I doubt it. If Morningstar and Reed are your two best guards then it's all but over for this team. We have been fooled by too many dunks and layups. The current rank is a total joke. Sorry to be so negative. I wish it weren't so. Love to be proved wrong. On the floor, not the blog."

My reply was:

"I think that you are a bit critical of KU's talent level and If we were to listen to you, KU should not show up! To use the old saying "this is why they play the game"! We'll see!"

They proved you wrong big time! Need I say more!

Kye Clark 4 years, 10 months ago

And to those complaining about this team "losing" the second half...whatever. They outscored us by a single point in the second half. Big deal. To me, as impressive as the first half was, it was almost as impressive to see this team take Baylor's best shot in their house and not lose their composure but rather rally to still win by 20. They (Knight and Musburger) mentioned last night, but it is almost impossible for any team in any sport at any level to not become a little lax with such a big lead. I mean, the '08 team sure did in the second half against UNC. How'd that season turn out for us? I don't think anyone would accuse that team of not having a killer instinct. So, is there work to be done? Yes. Room for improvement? Of course. But give it a rest if Baylor outscoring us by one point in the second half is your major complaint.

Redlandsjhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Exactly. The simple truth is you don't play the same when you have a big lead. That goes for every sport even racing! Anyone who can't understand that just doesn't understand the nature of competition.

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 10 months ago

What good play against that zone. It's what many have been looking for. What was very nice is KU used intermediate jump shots as well as beyond the arc to go with the in the paint production. In short this is the way zone defenses were handled back in the day before the 3 point line.

Marcus looking very Carl Malone with the short turn around fade away.

Reed always going to the ball.

Bob Knight must have done some homework, he actually got the names of the players right, and as KUSHAW pointed out he was spot on with his breakdown.

At the expense of inflaming the Selbyites, this was one of his BEST games so far. In my opinion better than the USC game, even with 3 turnovers.

And finally, I am not sure who all the "scouts" were really there to see, but if the twins stock didn't just go up and have a dividend split then those scouts are blind.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 10 months ago

I will be honest and I may get chastized pretty heavily for this, but I want Mizzou and K-State to get on a roll (Except against KU) and win out if they can. I am pretty confident Baylor, Texas, and A&M will come out of the South for the Big Dance, but it's still pretty wide open in the North.

As much as I was completely wrong about K-State, I would like to see them turn around their misffortune. For them to finish 10-6 is going to be almost impossible with the way their playing at the moment and their murder schedule coming up in the next 3 games, but if they finish 9-7 that's good for the Big 12.

From a strength and RPI standpoint for KU I want to see K-State turn it around. Mizzou will be fine and at the moment Colorado is looking really nice to get into the big dance. They should have been ranked this week.

In the end, I still think the Big 12 has a legitimate chance off getting 7 schools in, but I these are the 7 I would like to see. These are in no particular order, but I do hate Baylor and Mizzou the most.

Kansas A&M Colorado Texas K-State Baylor Mizzou

Joe Baker 4 years, 10 months ago

I really think Kstink is done this yr and I want to see if Pullen is a player of his word when they get stuck in the NIT.

Baylor got insulted and their pride was humiliated. We'll see how they rebound. KU caught them on a really odd night.

I'm really impressed with CU and Boyle!! They are a totally different team.

Rock Chalk

niemoth 4 years, 10 months ago

K-state may lose their next 3 and be 1-6 in conf. They are a decent team, but NIT is a possibility. If they start 1-6 they'll give up on season and lose to some teams they should crush.

Mike Bratisax 4 years, 10 months ago

I cannot watch Mizzou and bring myself to cheer for them...

kranny 4 years, 10 months ago

I personally think that this team plays to the level of its competition. The bigger the game the better the focus. I was a bit concerned with the amount of easy buckets in the paint. Perry Jones looked better than he should've. Thought our perimeter d was excellent. Tyshawn was a beast against Dunn. Texas will probably be the first "real" test. Should be a crazy atmosphere.

Kye Clark 4 years, 10 months ago

You may be right about playing to the level of competition. Regarding Jones however, I was not that impressed. He came into the game hitting just over 50% of his free throws, yet last night went 8-8. Take away a 3 or 4 of those points and his night becomes a little less impressive. A lot of his baskets were made when bigs had to come off of him to stop dribble penetration given up by our guards. Also, only 2 rebounds? A good performance by Jones overall, but considering the way he got his points and how a lot of bigs have absolutely had their way with us this season, it wasn't a horrible performance by the post D.

Would agree that by and large our perimeter defense was excellent, but I pointed out during the live coverage conversation Tyrel completely lost Anthony Jones twice which led to 2 of his threes.

TaCityHawkFan 4 years, 10 months ago

Anyone else notice Markieff bear hugging Acy (Baylor #4) down low? Look close and Acy is holding 'Kieff! Great picture Nick.

Nice game twins!

TheWonderTwins 4 years, 10 months ago

Wonder Twin powers activate!

Form of:

44 points 14 boards 19-24 FG (79%) 4-5 FT (80%) 6 assists 5 steals 2 blocks

Nice! Me likey!

hawkdiek 4 years, 10 months ago

Wonder Twin powers activate!...Crack me up! We should get them rings that light up, then at the beginning of each game they meet at center court and fist bump. Awesome!!

Machawk 4 years, 10 months ago

What a great half of basketball and a great game all around. Last night's performance showed the potential of this team. I liked their focus and the pride they showed in KU basketball. They played under control with a chip on their shoulders and that's the pride they felt representing Kansas Basketball. Can they continue in this manner? I hope so.

Some random questions:

Where is KY_CATS1 today?

How does Baylor recruit so well? Baylor has no basketball tradition, no real fan support, and a dorky student section that is clueless about basketball. It's hard to imagine why a recruit would even consider Baylor over KU. (Thank goodness "Shady" had a dream a couple of years ago.)

I know it's early, but what were the Big 12 coaches thinking in their pre-season basketball picks? (Until someone takes it away, I would not bet against KU)

Is it any coincidence that the improvement in CU and A&M's basketball programs could be the KU connection at work?

Chris Shaw 4 years, 10 months ago

I wish people wouldn't respond to that guy. If you do just make it one word comebacks like allegations, Georgia, ACT, Violation, Kickbacks, $200,000, or something like that. I don't know! The guy posts and then disappears after having 20 comments.

kufankam 4 years, 10 months ago

paging bobbysfissure.... paging bobbysfissure....

your order of crow is ready; come and eat your fill!! what a tool! we probably won't hear from you until KU loses a game. only difference is that "level headed, rational" posters possess the capacity to still engage in dialogue - win or lose. you my friend are weak!

Martini_Boy 4 years, 10 months ago

bobbysfissure needs to crack a comment here today. In preparation for his return I'll get out an inflatable doughnut. Rumors have it he greased his way back into a dark hole somewhere near columbia, butt I could be wrong.

Please give us another enlightened prognostication. I'm as interested in your predictions as I am excited about an upcoming proctology exam........

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 10 months ago

Some people seem really desperate for things to complain about.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 10 months ago

Ha ha. You're right, I shouldn't be so negative about all the negativity. Serenity now, Hawk! Serenity now!

Woody Cragg 4 years, 10 months ago

They haven't been married long enough yet.

farawayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

I read this as well and wondered if Marcus was directing his angry words and gestures to the KU fans in the stands? Was he trash talking to Baylor or to his own fans? Love the twins, but either way they need to dig deep and show some class. That being said, love the results!

jayhawktalk 4 years, 10 months ago

That was beautiful to watch last night. Not in the mood to critique, just enjoying basking in the success of others' today - focused and intense defense, great breakdown of the defense by guard penetration, inspired rebounding (played like men last night)... Last night looked like the guys took that game personally, and it showed (thanks for the classless pregame vid, Baylor)... Great job Jayhawks.

Someone mentioned this was Selby's best game, and I have to agree. He looked more comfortable last night than I have seen. Anyone else amazed by how quickly he closes on a passing lane to get a steal? Forewarning, about to let my mind wander a bit. Please humor me... It reminds me of the Post Office's "flat rate" commercial where the family wants to return a clown doll they ordered. In the beginning of the commercial a visibly frightened family explains from their porch that they need to get this thing out of the house, immediately. The camera flashes to a little clown doll standing in the center of the living room, ~15 feet from everyone. Camera moves back to the family and postal carrier, carrier says something to the effect that "it's not that bad..." Everyone looks back to the room, gasps in horror, and the clown has closed the gap from middle of living room and is now standing at their feet in the doorway, looking up at them with an evil grin. Carrier's response, "Yeah, that thing as got to go." ...That's Selby... He's nowhere near the passing lane. Opponent goes to make a pass, blinks, and, in a flash, Selby, wicked grin on his face, appears from nowhere and is standing in the passing lane to pick off the pass. I love it. He's still a bit erratic and looks out of control sometimes, but the killer instinct is obvious.

In a game like that last night, towards the end, I would have liked to have seen EJ get some minutes as primary ball handler, but with TT still in the game to take some heat off him and to act as a release valve. I don't espouse sacrificing a win to get players experience, but with the game in hand and a little less on the line, it would have been great to let EJ stretch his legs a bit.

irockhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Theutus I have to point out that I agree with one point you made. It does seem to take a lot to get us motivated but you are way off on " our guards playing terrible". I coach an AAU team my friend and when you see a good match up zone you have to be patient. It may look like we throw the ball around the perimiter too much but we are simply being patient and looking for good passing angles to the post, finding gaps/holes in the zone and looking for a weak side shot when the zone breaks down.

I thought our guards played a great game in terms of finding angles and gaps and finding the post players. Keep in mind that the high/low looks like the pass comes from the point most of the time, but can be very effective with an entry pass from the wing as well. Our guards did a very nice job with it and they also played fantastic defense the entire night. Scott drew is a punk but that match up zone is the 2nd best in the country next to Syracuse. He runs that very very well and we made it look easier than it is most of the night.

Granted we won't shoot 79% from the floor in most games in a half but we exicuted very well last night with high % shots. Credit our guards for finding those holes and creating those high% shots. Very nice work by the post players as well for all the movement and seals they worked so hard to get as well. Best win of the year so far and that is not an easy place to play at all.

Theutus 4 years, 10 months ago

Much agreed, i really think Little and Releford are going to be extremely crucial to this teams success....

I really hope every team we play against plays the zone, because we can get that much more experience with it before tourny time...

kthawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Theutus, I realize you are a glass half full kind of guy, but your negativity is ridiculous. The Hawks were patient in the half-court in the second half because they were shortening the game. In the first half the offense was penetrating and dynamic. Go back and look at the video. The marked difference between halves is remarkable. And, no doubt the static nature of the offense in the second half was predictable and planned.

Theutus 4 years, 10 months ago

I completely understand being patient in the zone, but after watching the tape a second time... We have no movement. Our guards are standing still kicking the ball back and forth, the bigs aren't moving, the guards are moving....

It's just a stagnant offense for long periods of time. Now when our guards start weaving around the perimeter and moving... That opens up the zone and we can do something... But again, far too often we don't, and literally 5 guys just stand around as if something will magically happen.

Theutus 4 years, 10 months ago

That's supposed to read "the guards aren't moving"... Granted they do on some possessions, but others the whole offense just comes to a halt and they all stand around....

Our best possessions are when the guards start weaving, then they start penetrating.. It makes the zone collapse on them and open up somebody else either down low or out on a wing....

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 10 months ago

It's easy to say our guards need to penetrate, as though that were some genius strategy Self hasn't thought to employ. But on Saturday we were playing one of the top 5 defensive teams in the nation in Nebraska and last night we were playing against a zone, which is designed specifically for the purpose of stopping penetration.

Against Nebraska, the guards obviously weren't ready for that kind of pressure; against Baylor, they were much better, although they still made more mistakes than I'd like to see. Our team as a whole did a good job of getting the ball inside in the 2nd half vs. Nebraska and most of the game vs. Baylor. It's a work in progress.

Theutus 4 years, 10 months ago

I will agree with you but not in reference to the whole night, only the first half...

The first half we were different... The second half, we reverted...

We definitely have things that need work... Why some posters here get all butt-hurt about a little bit of criticize i'll never know. You'd think I just kicked their puppy or something.

Theutus 4 years, 10 months ago

Yeah I actually hate the Brady debate... What was originally a simple "i think Brady should give up some minutes to develop some younger guys" turned into a bunch of Brady haters going off on a tangent and the rest of us getting lumped in with them....

Anyway, i'll probably just let this circlejerk thread run rampant without any more criticism for the rest of the week, and then I'll be back on Saturday to call a spade a spade.

Have a good week and i'll see you Saturday Slayr!

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 10 months ago

Whoa, I didn't realize this was a "circlejerk" thread.

[Backs away slowly...]

Joe Baker 4 years, 10 months ago

Prove it again Saturday Marcus!! Prove it again all year through the NC!!!

You are the Man! Retain the focus, don't let down.

Great game KU! Well this was the game the critics were wanting. The scouts were buzzing about the twins!!!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU

KuKain 4 years, 10 months ago

I got a huge LOL out of the crowd singing Peanut butter, jelly time while one of the twins was shooting his free throws. At first I thought it was kinda dumb, but then it made me start to laugh. I couldn't imagine shooting free throws with that going on in the background.

ku_foaf 4 years, 10 months ago

In the war of wits, the Baylor army is unarmed. I looked at the posts. Incredibly, a Baylor fan suggests making fun of the twins for shooting a PELLET gun. Someone else has to remind them they probably shouldn't bring up shooting.

ancient_hawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, that was truly "Dookie"-worthy. ;^)

jayhawktalk 4 years, 10 months ago

I think Little was shooting the free throw. I only noticed because after Little smiled, they panned to the crowd singing the PBJ time song.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 10 months ago

Let's see, that's "clunker," "buffoon," "klutz," "hapless," "bonehead," "Arm Pit." Did I miss any? While I admire your vocabulary, I am starting to wonder what it takes to get a poster banned from this site.

ancient_hawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Personally, I think even your admiration for his "vocabulary" is misplaced.

duanep5ku 4 years, 10 months ago

If LJW wanted to all they need to do is ban the old trolls IP address that should work OK for starters

YuCoJayHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

dat darn brady. he done got aint no game. his pit stink on bench. he miss shot drop lead go down.

(much malice intended) :)

Jack Wilson 4 years, 10 months ago

Although your Brady-love is a severe case .. possibly incurable .. ignoring him might be the best solution. No replies. If a jayhawkinnebr posts and no one pays attention, does it make a sound?

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 10 months ago

Ah yes, the "Brady-love" straw-man again. Another classic.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 10 months ago

Allow me to be the first to tell you to F### Off...have a nice day!!

jaybate 4 years, 10 months ago

Oak, whew, it takes something for you to use the F Bomb!

jayhawkinTomOsborne'sColon needed it.

Unfortunately, he always needs it.

Craig Colgin 4 years, 10 months ago

If there was a sport called beating the $#!T out of a dead horse, Fakehawkinbreeder would be the champion!

brooksmd 4 years, 10 months ago

nebr....what are you gonna do when your Huskers are handed the mop to clean the restrooms in the Big 10?

ku_foaf 4 years, 10 months ago

I saw the Bail-ers leaving again before the game was over. I've been there 3-4 times since 2002, heard the fans get noisy and yell things at the KU players - then quietly file out when they get behind. I heard it firsthand when I set right behind the KU bench with the players families in 2005. I believe opposing players rated them as the poorest fans in the league a year or two ago. The team is better, they aren't.

REHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey, Nebraska! Here's another little word to pitch into your Brady reports. Winner.

kufankam 4 years, 10 months ago

did anyone else find it humorous that bob knight asserted that KU would rather have thomas robinson shooting from the perimeter than the twins? c'mon coach, do your homework! another thing, i understand people confusing the twins... however, the geriatric couple of brent and bob mistake ej & selby for tyshawn, tyrel for brady, etc. it gets annoying when they are analyzing tyshawns play and then they refer to a play that was made by selby or someone else. espn - franklin and fran were money! the sweater party crew has gotta go... send them to espn U and give us the girl for big monday - at least she really knew her stuff and you could tell she did her research.

Kye Clark 4 years, 10 months ago

I agree, but anytime I've complained about Bob Knight I get shouted down, so usually it's not worth me bringing it up anymore. I thought his basketball analysis was very good last night however, minus the obvious name gaffs.

duanep5ku 4 years, 10 months ago

icethawkfan316 I heard that comment from Bob during the game too, it was a horrible mistake, I must admit but I thought it was funny in away because if Thomas started shooting three's he would see the bench. I will say one great thing about Bob you can listen to the game without hearing about constant babbling about UK,NC or Duke. So It's not all bad.

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 10 months ago

And this was one of Bobby's more lucid nights.

I think it's obvious, he is a great tactician and can comminicate what is happening within the game. But he does not make any effort to know the lineup of any team on the floor.

Steve Gantz 4 years, 10 months ago

To those of you too young to remember, the first half of the 88 championship game against Oklahoma, you watched it last night. That's how we looked in 88. Of course in 88 Oklahoma was way better than Baylor and matched us point for point.

dynamitehawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Yep. That was the night I became a fan. Nice reference.

Mike Bratisax 4 years, 10 months ago

The first half we played Oklahoma tempo scoring 50, then won the game with tough D in the 2nd half playing ours. Great game plan and perfect execution. I thought Billy Tubbs was going to have an aneurysm before the game ended.

IBRONNIEB 4 years, 10 months ago

When you have a coach who teaches you how to attack a defense, and you listen, and are motivated to play, and you also execute, it is amazing what can happen. It was a pleasure to watch KU working through the twins, simply destroy Baylor' s defense. And God forbid, have Bobby Knight actually make sense last night, as well. This was the Kansas team that should be ranked as high as they are. Focus is a powerful thing if you have it, to go along with your motivation. The team we saw last night, could very well be in the Final Four. Very proud to be a Jayhawk Fan.

dynamitehawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Life is too short to obsess on the negatives. For instance, I could look in the mirror every morning and shout, "dynamite!!! You're a fat bald retard!!!!" But what would that accomplish?

I suppose my point is that mostly the comments on this site are positive (or at least not mean-spirited), funny, and thought-inspiring. Here's to more of that.

Kye Clark 4 years, 10 months ago

A couple of pretty funny articles on regarding the struggles of both K-State and UNC. Yeah yeah we should all root for K-State to be better because a better K-State is better for KU. Regardless, the article makes me laugh at how Frank Martin says (of his team's pre-season expectations) "Who says it wasn't supposed to be this way for us? You never asked me. You said it, not me. If you would have asked me, I would have told you we're young and we're going to go through some bumps on the road here." They're young? Maybe, but as he goes on to ramble about losing players of the ilk of Luis Colon, it perfectly illustrates why they are K-State and we are KU, why Frank Martin may be an entertaining figure, but Bill Self is the man. We lost 2 NBA lottery picks and the all-time winningest player in school history, and you're blaming losing Luis Colon as part of the reason you're 1-3 in conference play? Awesome.

Mike Bratisax 4 years, 10 months ago

When is Dicky V going to admit to being wrong...I was really happy that we had B. Knight as the commentator last night.

Redlandsjhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

As much as I loved the game last night the thing that pleases me the most is Marcus' quote about UNI that "it's only going to happen once." That's what I've been waiting to hear.

ku_tailg8 4 years, 10 months ago

Kudos! to the LJWorld. I tried to read an article about the game at the Waco newspaper and they wanted to charge money. What a joke! Way to go guys for keeping this free and allowing us KU fans to follow our team! :)

MrPilot 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey KY_Cats! How 'bout them Wildcats, eh!?

100 4 years, 10 months ago

Over the course of this season it appears we've moved up a full four notches towards the record that is rightfully ours...

UK is 14-4 KU is 18-0

Keep passing the ball like lasers Jayhawks & help us get back the alltime record!!!!!!

MrPilot 4 years, 10 months ago

We'll have it by a mile once Calipari's reputation catches up with him. They'll have a few seasons erased just after he bolts to the NBA in the nick of time.

100 4 years, 10 months ago

Alabama's RPI (who just beat UK...)

..... 176 .......

DevilHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

The headline of that game for Jayhawk Nation should be "Releford rolls Kentucky."

DevilHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

There was an interesting comment from Derrick Rose about Calimari's practices. He uses "practice hard or leave practice."

Self uses "practice hard or you're going to practice significantly longer - and likely get benched."

I think that Self's version is working better.

UKTroll 4 years, 10 months ago

It is on days like today that I'm glad I switched my allegiances from the Bluegrass. What a joke Kentucky has become.

"Who will take me?" I asked.

"Jayhawk Nation will." you answered.

Hail to old KU!

jaybate 4 years, 10 months ago

Another inspired headline.

Rock Chalk!

Bear86 4 years, 10 months ago

Baylor Beat Down! As noted in the article above this was the best 1/2 in the Self era. Maybe we should invite NBA scouts and GM's to every game. Great win! F-Texas!!