Monday, January 17, 2011

KU basketball notebook: Baylor coach Scott Drew says KU team to beat in Big 12

Baylor basketball coach Scott Drew sees one team as overwhelming favorite to win the Big 12 Conference’s regular-season title.

“I think Kansas has obviously shown the last few years ... until somebody can take them down, they are the champs and capable of getting to 13, 14 wins,” Drew said of six-time defending champion KU, which travels to Ferrell Center for today’s 8:30 p.m. tipoff.

“I do feel next year when everyone has the home-and-home (schedule), that will change some things up. With this year, just like every year, it feels like there are a lot of capable teams, but Kansas has definitely been top dog now for a while.”

Eighth-year Bears coach Drew has led BU to just one victory in eight tries versus KU. The Bears stopped the Jayhawks, 71-64, in a first-round 2009 Big 12 tournament game in Oklahoma City.

Last season, the Jayhawks bested the Bears, 81-75, in Allen Fieldhouse. KU’s Marcus Morris scored 22 points off 8-of-11 shooting to lead all of KU’s returning players. Sherron Collins had 28 points, Xavier Henry 12 and Cole Aldrich 10. LaceDarius Dunn scored 27 points off 8-of-14 shooting (5-for-8 from three) for Baylor with nine rebounds, two assists and five turnovers. Quincy Acy had 10 points.

Baylor hit 52.1 percent of its shots, including 10 of 21 threes and 15 of 19 free throws. KU hit just 43.5 percent of its shots, going eight of 21 from three. BU suffered 20 turnovers to KU’s seven. The game was tied 30-30 at half.

BU’s season

Baylor opened 7-0, then lost three of four (to Gonzaga in Dallas and both Washington State and Florida State in Honolulu with win over San Diego in Honolulu). Since then, the Bears have won four of five, with wins over Texas Southern, Morgan State, Texas Tech and Oklahoma to go with Saturday’s loss at Iowa State.

“We had three out of four losses without time to practice to make improvement,” Drew said. “When you are playing back-to-back games in a tournament (in Hawaii), you don’t have much time for correction.”

This, that

KU sophomore Travis Releford (ankle sprain) is listed as doubtful for tonight. He likely will be able to play in Saturday’s 3 p.m. home game against Texas. ... KU is 15-2 all-time against Baylor, including a 6-1 mark in Ferrell Center. ... Baylor has won 15 straight home games.

Comments

100 9 years, 4 months ago

Play tight D tonight Jayhawks....

Crisp passes.....

Box out....

And have some fun!!!!!

jayhawktalk 9 years, 4 months ago

Uhmmmm.... Yeah... You seldom box out when you are on offense...

When someone talks boxing out, they are almost universally talking about defensive rebounding.

LAJayhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

In his defense, you box out when you have position which can be either end of the floor. But, yes, generally that is referring to the defensive side as you should already have good position.

Not in his defense: you box out against a zone the same way as you would against man to man, by pushing out whomever is in position to rebound. Just put a body on someone. Simple.

kubballjunkie 9 years, 4 months ago

Sounds to me like coach Drew is basically saying " KU is only going to win the B12 because they play in the North, and have an easier schedule" Usually I would agree, but with the huge improvement to Colorado, and with Iowa St., and Neb. playing us tough, I'm not sure but what the North isn't better than the south this year. Seems to me like TX Tech and OU are gonna battle it out for last place.

HawkInAL 9 years, 4 months ago

Exactly what I got from reading this.

Which really begs the question about Baylor- how good are they? They haven't beat a team in the top 100 on kenpom. Their three "best" wins are against Arizona State, TT, and OU. Not exactly Murderer's Row...

Hope to see Selby and EJ come back strong after Saturday's stinker...

LAJayhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

True, although it's not like we have monster wins either.

fansincewilt 9 years, 4 months ago

Did Drew make that remark before or after his trip to Ames?

addlime 9 years, 4 months ago

Exactly! Does he want to play in Allen this year? I don't get why home and home would have changed one thing over the past 7 years.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 4 months ago

Big 12 Power Rankings at the moment:

1) Colorado: They've beaten two ranked "North" foes and they very well could be 5-0 when they host KU on January 25th. They go to on the road against Nebraska and Oklahoma before meeting up with the Jayhawks.

2) A&M: They have gotten off to a good start by beating OU, Okie State, and Mizzou (OT), but they have a very tough stretch in their next 4 games with Texas twice and K-State.

3) KU: They've played two average teams in the Big 12 and came away with two less than stellar victories. Big week with a game against Baylor and Texas and another big stretch next week going to Colorado and playing K-State. Tough 4 game stretch coming up starting with Baylor tonight.

4) Texas: They haven't played anybody in conference with two wins over Tech and OU, the two worst teams in the Big 12. They also have a tough stretch coming up with A&M twice, KU, Mizzou, and okie state.

5) Baylor: Loss to the cyclones was a shocker. Maybe it was just the way they lost to the cyclones that was a shocker. Big game tonight. They have also had it easy to start out with Tech and OU.

6) Okie State: Based on schedule they have had the toughest start. Beat K-State at home and then on the road at A&M and Colorado.

7) Mizzou and K-State-Both K-State and Mizzou have a huge game tomorrow night. I mean, it's a must win for both and one of them is going to lose and the loser will be 1-3 in conference. At the moment I give Mizzou the edge in the rankings simply because they have been on the road twice and K-State has a home loss, but either way this next game is equally huge for both.

9) Nebraska: Beat Iowa State head to head already and has two very tough road games against two ranked opponents. Actually, there may be some talk that Nebraska needs to be moved ahead of both Mizzou and K-State.

10) Iowa State: Big win vs Baylor (Must win actually) and has lost to both Mizzou and Kansas.

11) Oklahoma: They are just terrible.

12) Tech: What's worse is that I didn't think anybody could be worse than OU and Tech so far takes that title.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 4 months ago

Actually, that KSU/Mizzou game is tonight. I thought it was tomorrow, but on at 5:30 est today. Somebody is going to be 1-3 in conference.

STLHawkFan 9 years, 4 months ago

I'm not buying your assessment. I agree with 11 and 12, but ISU and NU are much better than your comments suggest. They are both well coached and their defense has improved dramatically. You tend to contradict yourself in picks 2 and 4. CU hasn't proven anything yet. MU is a bad road team and KSU is having an identity crisis right now. Road wins are precious, especially this year. Give it two more weeks and I think you'll see that your assessment is slightly jumbled; however, I appreciate your thoughts. Post again in 2 weeks, as I'm curious to see how this list will change in your mind.

Chris Shaw 9 years, 4 months ago

I don't think you're understanding my "Power Rankings". Right now at this very moment these are my rankings. These will change from game to game and even week to week.

How do I contradict myself when Texas has played the two worst teams in the Big 12 to start their conference slate? CU has beaten two Top 25 teams and is a main cause of both of those teams downward trend at the moment.

My thoughts on how the season will end is completely different the "Power Rankings". I agree, this list is going to be completely different in two weeks, but I'm talking about today at this moment.

Selbyville 9 years, 4 months ago

No one cares about you're stupid rankings, they're awful by the way. Do something better with your time

Chris Shaw 9 years, 4 months ago

You okay? You want to talk about it? It's a shame you don't have more time. Talking basketball is a lot of fun.

Dan Harris 9 years, 4 months ago

I liked his rankings you don't have to agree with them but why be an ass?

pizzaboy225 9 years, 4 months ago

i for one appreciated the analysis kushaw. sadly, and as usual, even ku fans can't be unbiased and open minded. clearly, your haters don't understand the concept of "power" rankings, too bad for them.

REHawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Big 12 Conference certainly no cupcake. Mindblowing to imagine that Mizzou or K State to come away with a 1-3 leagure record tonight.

Jeff Coffman 9 years, 4 months ago

My thoughts exactly.

Not to mention the whole conference.

Not to mention Dickie V...picking them 5th preseason.

JHWK 9 years, 4 months ago

Of course, Coach Drew-che wants to position his team as the underdog tonight, but he - and everyone but Coach Martin - thought K-State and Baylor would be ahead of KU.

Drew-che solidified my thoughts on him last year when he took his kids off the court before the KU game. Do what you want at home - but not in our house.

I think tonight's BY FAR the biggest challenge we've had this year, and we need to actually take it seriously on the court, or the Drew-che might get his first win against KU.

TraditionRich 9 years, 4 months ago

Be careful what you ask for Drew... those home and homes with Iowa State can be tricky.. wait you already know that.. I am not sure Baylor would be favored to win any game away versus the Big 12 North with the emergence of Colorado and Iowa State. On the other hand, at Texas Tech and Oklahoma... those are tough games... Not!

rwhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

I wish Drew coached for Mizzou so I could have one collective place to channel my dislike.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 4 months ago

The best thing I read here was that next year they're going with home and homes with every year? I never understood why they would only play the south teams once each year. This means two less cupcakes and two more "real" Division I teams! Good news. Now if football could do the same.

Marcia Parsons 9 years, 4 months ago

Football will do the same. Now that we're down to 10 teams it works out that way. With 12 they had to do that staggered schedule.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 4 months ago

I hadn't heard that football is doing that too. That's great, although with more conference games it potentially means less bowl bids for Big 12 teams.

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 4 months ago

@ rwhawk----LOL.

The K-State @ Missouri game will be interesting. I will be watching the game with interest but I hate both teams. Missouri is most likely the team I would love to see lose. However, I don't think it will happen. Jacob Pullen, you know Jacob----shooting his mouth off like always. He is playing for the NCAA Tournament. "I ain't playing for the NIT."

Well, Jacob, if you lose tonight, which is a good possibility, that NIT bid might look better and better. You might want to accept that bid!

Jeff Coffman 9 years, 4 months ago

The best thing about this game is that you are guaranteed a K-State or Missouri Loss. If there was some way that both of the teams could lose, it would be a stellar game.

Jonathan Andrews 9 years, 4 months ago

Scott Drew sounds like such a whiner with his quotes here. "KU won't be so good once we switch to home-and-home..." "my team wouldn't have lost as much if our tough games weren't back-to-back..."

Not to mention the fact that he tries to act like the self-appointed conference whistleblower for perceived NCAA recruiting violations, while his own practices (hiring John Wall's AAU coach, then letting him go shortly after he commited to UK) have been sketchy at times.

Get 'em, Self.

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 4 months ago

Max----

Don't make laugh---darn, you did!

Jeff Coffman 9 years, 4 months ago

Let's see in 2010 KU,KSU,Baylor,TAM,MU,UT,OSU,CU,TT,OU,ISU,NU 2009 KU,OU,MU,KSU,UT,TAM,OSU,NU,BU,ISU,TT,CU 2008 UT,KU(note KU/UT tied, but UT got #1 seed),KSU,OU,BU,TAM,NU,TT,OSU,MU,ISU,CU 2007 KU,TAM,UT,KSU,TT,MU,OSU,ISU,OU,NU,BU,CU

I don't get this Drew guy. He is a very negative person and really diminishes the Big XII. I think he is actually not very good for the Big XII. One thing that I really like about Bob Stoops in football, is he has owned the Big XII in football, and he always talks about having to own his team and how each game he has to prepare to win. Similar analogies can be made to Bill Self and Roy Williams in the Basketball world. I guess I really like the "class" that top coaches have. Mr. Drew has lacked class and that doesn't sit well with the Big XII. I really hope that the Big XII steps in "again" and sets him in the correct line. There is not room for putting teams down in such a top conference.

I would say that looking at the standings above for the past few years, the Big XII has been relatively balanced.

addlime 9 years, 4 months ago

I love everything that is being said here about Coach Drew, and I love the potential for another in-conference rivalry to develop. But let's not lose sight of what has been done down there in Waco. The turn around of that program so quickly and with so much talent is absolutely unbelievable. Look how long it is taking Indiana to get back, and that is a top 5 program historically. This team (Baylor) has drastically underperformed this season, and let's just hope that they don't figure things out until tomorrow or later.

rockchalkjjjhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Drew figures he can say garbage about KU and home-and-home because KU's talent will be depleted compared to typical past KU teams due to the loss of both Morris', Tyrel, Brady, Little, and possibly Selby. So, Drew (and others) has the chance to say why he thinks KU has dominated for so many years and at the same time predict that KU will have a much tougher time with the home-and-home play. As far as the past many seasons, though, they know (as we know) that the outcomes would have been exactly the same. Drew, how 'bout you just quit making childish statements?

TenaciousD 9 years, 4 months ago

I think you're right-on with your statement about Drew being "bold" and predicting a different outcome next year. He knows next year could be a rough one for KU and he wants to go on record now as "predicting" a different outcome. He is such a freakin' squirrel.

Jayhawks are favored by 4. Hopefully it's not that close.

rockchalkjjjhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Yeah. Forgot again. Both Morris' are good enough to both go in the next draft, but the staggered approach is best for every party involved. And for sure, if Markief is not drafted this time around, KU will be among the best Big12 teams again next year.

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 4 months ago

The more KU fans, the better. Fill the arena to the top, Jayhawks!

LAJayhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

"Baylor hit 52.1 percent of its shots..."

Was that the game that ended our streak of like 90 games of keeping opponents under 50%?

bayareajhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

“I think Kansas has obviously shown the last few years ... until somebody can take them down, they are the champs and capable of getting to 13, 14 wins. I do feel next year when everyone has the home-and-home (schedule), that will change some things up. With this year, just like every year, it feels like there are a lot of capable teams, but Kansas has definitely been top dog now for a while.”

Wow we are a sensitive bunch to take those words and turn them into "KU only wins because they are in the North." What he says is this:

1. KU is the top dog/champ and is always capable of going 13-3 or 14-2 in the conference.
  2. When there are only 10 teams playing each other twice, the league will be different.
  3. As usual, there are a lot of good teams and KU is on top -- as they have been for a while.

He is complimenting us multiple times while stating an obvious truth: the league will be different when the schedule changes. Can anyone honestly deny that? You guys need to relax a little bit.