Monday, January 17, 2011

Kansas rookie TE Jimmay Mundine a ‘stud’ in the making

photo

Contributed Photo

Jimmay Mundine hauls in a pass during his senior year at Denison (Texas) High. Mundine spent last season as a red-shirt on Kansas University’s football team and made a name for himself on the scout team.

He has yet to play an actual down for Kansas University’s football team, but red-shirt freshman Jimmay Mundine already has created some competition.

The story goes like this: Last fall, while Mundine, a 6-foot-2, 250-pound tight end from Denison, Texas, was adding bulk to his then-226-pound frame, he often was asked to put pressure on KU’s first-string defense in practices by being the best tight end he could be. Mundine took the challenge seriously and, before long, was giving KU’s entire secondary fits.

“That kid right there, he’s gonna be a stud,” former KU defensive back Chris Harris said of Mundine. “If he’s not making an impact next year, that’d be a big surprise. He’s a guy that we (had) trouble with every day.”

As the practices went by and Mundine outdid all challengers, he and Harris worked toward a showdown.

“(Defensive coordinator Carl) Coach Torbush told the defense not to even let me catch the ball, and I still caught it on ’em,” Mundine said. “Then, I went against every single defensive back, and I made ’em all look bad except Chris Harris, so it was a big deal because coach (Vic) Shealy walked up to me and asked, ‘Who haven’t you embarrassed?’ I told him it was Chris, and then the next day I embarrassed Chris.”

Though Mundine made a name for himself in practice, he recognized that there was a big difference between starring with the scout team and doing it during a game. Now that his red-shirt season is behind him, his focus has shifted to becoming the same player — perhaps better — when things heat up during spring ball and this fall. It’s something his coach thinks is very possible.

“He has what you’re looking for, the explosiveness,” KU coach Turner Gill said. “He can make plays down the field, he can make plays on the short pass being able to catch and make people miss and go the distance.”

Mundine said it was tough to sit out, especially on Saturdays when he was forced to watch the Jayhawks struggle from the stands. But he said red-shirting turned out to be the best thing for him.

“At first I was mad,” Mundine said. “But then I realized that next season, I’ll be fully ready, and I can be a complete tight end. I’m not saying I’m gonna be starting or anything, but I know I’m damn sure I’m gonna try to get the spot. Me and coach Gill talked about me red-shirting, and he said it wasn’t that he didn’t think I was ready to play or anything like that, it was just that he simply wanted me to learn more and get bigger.”

Originally, there was talk of Mundine moving to a different position.

“When I first got here, coach Gill told me he was looking at me at tight end, and he said if he didn’t like what he saw or I wasn’t doing good then he would move me to linebacker,” Mundine said. “When I went in for my meeting after the season, he told me he liked what he saw and that I was a playmaker, so he was gonna keep me there.”

That’s a good idea according to one KU safety.

“To be honest with you, I know it’s two different levels, but he always reminds me of an Antonio Gates-type of guy,” freshman Keeston Terry said of the San Diego Chargers tight end. “He’s real dependable, he gets open, he has great hands, and he’ll definitely be a great asset to our team.”

If he can live up to the hype, the only thing left for Mundine to sort out will be setting people straight on his full name, Jimmayshun, which people have shortened to Jimmay, pronounced just like it’s spelled: “Jim-May.”

“Right before I was born, my dad’s parents died,” Mundine said. “My grandma’s name was Jimmy, so my mom took the Jim out of that. My grandpa’s name was Maynard, so she took the May out of that. And she put the Shun on there by herself.”

Mundine continued: “When I played football in high school and we played around at different stadiums, no announcers ever got my name right. Unless we were playing at home. When we were on the road, my name was definitely going to be messed up.”

If the progress Mundine has shown so far continues during his second season, it won’t take Jayhawk fans long to learn the name.

Comments

babyjay1 3 years, 2 months ago

So, no article yet but I got a Rivals text that said Anthony Pierson, 4 star running back from St Louis has picked us over Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas - go Gill!!!

HawkfromHays 3 years, 3 months ago

I just looked at the schedule, and we could very well lose 11 games next year. Of course, McNeese St. is traditionally good FCS team and we know how things can go even against a mediocre one...

Pbbut 3 years, 3 months ago

I hope we get to see him making a bunch of big plays over the next few seasons. My feeling is that the TE was greatly underutilized as a receiver this past year and has been since Derek Fine left.

Jason Sinclair 3 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, werner24, it's always great to lose a former Orange Bowl starter. That's the surest way to improve your team.

werner24 3 years, 3 months ago

I have been waiting for this day: "former KU defensive back Chris Harris"

kranny 3 years, 3 months ago

I know we need feel good articles at this point but I remember reading similar articles before last season. Tait had a coach in an earlier article give his take on KU's season and the man put some blame on the staff. I'm willing to give Gill a chance but if they aren't in a bowl the season after next, cut your losses and go long. They'll win 4 games next year.

shimjhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

is damn against the cussing policy? Will he be running for that comment?

Randy Maxwell 3 years, 3 months ago

Biere will do the blocking. Mundine will line up in the slot ala what MU does and he is a great player not just a good player.

Randy Maxwell 3 years, 3 months ago

beenahawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Would anyone be shocked if a position switch actually occurs? Nice to know the kid has good hands and can get open but isn't Gill trying to build a dnyasty of a running team? Can the kid BLOCK??? That will be his role on 90 % of the snaps.

Jason Sinclair 3 years, 3 months ago

That's exciting. I can't wait to see you play Mr. Mundine. So, now that we got the first name out of the way - how is the last name pronounced? Mun-dine (I suspect) or Mun-dean?

Whether this was more about Jimmay or about how bad or first team d-backs were, I'd much rather have an up-and-comer who could "school" them than not have one.

Ludwig Supraphonic 3 years, 3 months ago

All the negatives are already taken. Please help me out Fauxhawkinnebr and ahpersecoachingexperience I'm contemplating subversive positive thoughts.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 3 months ago

Wow! You guys already took all the defensive shots i was going to take. Props to you guys.

I'm so looking forward to next year. Where our new qb (compared to mike Vick) is throwing to this tight end (a gates). We'll be unstoppable.

Unless their comparisons are off!!!

tpatt 3 years, 3 months ago

A Pop Warner team could have embarrassed our defense.

100 3 years, 3 months ago

Explosiveness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Throw the man the ball!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep up the football articles Matt Tait!

(Also any word on four star Pierson or any other four stars Gill is going after this month?)

DevilHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Matt,

I think you mixed up the name associations.