Friday, January 14, 2011

Travis Releford doubtful for Nebraska game Saturday

Kansas guard Travis Releford swings his leg over UT Arlington forward Brandon Edwards after a breakaway dunk during the second half, Wednesday, Dec. 29, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas sophomore guard/forward Travis Releford, who sprained his left ankle in the first half of Sunday's Michigan game, is doubtful for Saturday's game against Nebraska, KU coach Bill Self announced Friday.

"I doubt it," Self said, asked if Releford was going to play. "It's a little disappointing, because I thought he would be back by now. We all did, and he's worked hard getting treatment, but it still may be a couple more days."

Self said it was not a high-ankle sprain.

"Just a sprain. Pretty severe one, though," Self said.

Releford did not play in KU's 84-79 victory over Iowa State on Wednesday.

Comments

Steve Kubler 10 years ago

Sprains are tricky things hard to tell just how they will heal from day to day.

Heal up Travis, we miss seeing you on the court!

kesmithstl1 10 years ago

rather have him later in the year than right now! Don't rush it!

Michael Bratisax 10 years ago

Not good news, Travis was becoming an impact player right at the time of his injury. We will miss his D and energy.

Obviously, the ankle was worse than originally reported but glad to see he isn't coming back too soon and risking more serious injury.

I'm guessing Little will be getting the bulk of Travis's minutes.

selfshat 10 years ago

Hurry bakc Trav... I hate seeing Brady and Little on the floor!!!

jhawkfan1981 10 years ago

little did ok in the isu game...but man brady has struggled. doesnt even look like he belongs on the floor!

hawk_of_ages 10 years ago

Uh, both Little and Brady did well in the ISU game -- esp. Brady.

Kyle Cornish 10 years ago

Disagree... At least Brady plays defense and plays hard. I can't say that about hardly anyone else 100% of the time... Most of them, not even a majority.

Hank Cross 10 years ago

Trying and doing are two different things. I have no doubt that he tries hard, but he's just not as talented as players like Travis and EJ. That's not a slam, it's a fact.

hawk_of_ages 10 years ago

"Trying and doing are two different things."

Talent and results are two different things as well.

Not that I believe Brady always gets better results than Travis and EJ. In fact, I believe all our perimeter guys have been too inconsistent -- even Selby and Reed, though they've been better than the others. Because of that, I think Self defaults to Reed and Brady because of their experience level.

Hank Cross 10 years ago

Self defaults to Brady and Reed because he is a creature of habit and familiarity. He will instinctively go to what he knows instead of risking something new. Once again, that's not a knock, that's who he is.

Jack Wilson 10 years ago

Perfect. oxcaljayhawk says EJ and Releford are more talented. hawk_of_ages impliedly agrees, saying that "talent and results are two different things . "

hawk_of_ages states all of the perimeter guys have been inconsistent, impliedly including Brady. Correct.

hawk_of_ages states "Self defaults to Reed and Brady because of their experience level." Correct.

Terrific. You have made the point I have made all season .. give EJ and Relford the experience now. Then, you will have a player with better talent and the experience in March.

And really, this isn't a debate, is it? hawk_of_ages has brilliantly captured the discussion. No debate who is more talented. No debate as to why Self plays Brady. The only question: Why not prepare the more talented player with more experience?

Craig Colgin 10 years ago

Agree with what is being said, but as an answer to the question. Perhaps the more talented, more athletic players, aren't coming along to suit coach self as far as trusting them longterm. I don't know, Im just saying, it's an option.

hawk_of_ages 10 years ago

So... bench the senior you trust more in favor of underclassmen you trust less? I'm sorry, I just don't buy this philosophy.

Again, I do not personally favor Brady over anyone else on the team. If EJ or Travis or whoever beats him out for minutes, that's great with me. But they should actually have to beat him out for the minutes. They shouldn't get minutes just because of their "upside." Then you take away their incentive to improve.

hawk_of_ages 10 years ago

Yes, it's a good thing Self knows nothing about defense. Wait, what?

DevilHawk 10 years ago

Little was out for a month because of his off-court actions. The last time he played (prior to the ISU game) was against Colorado State, which was the last game before Selby was eligible to play.

DevilHawk 10 years ago

Let the sprain heal up correctly. We will need Releford later this season and in the seasons to come.

At least we can afford him sitting out for now - especially with Little back.

Tony Bandle 10 years ago

Uh oh....more minutes for Brady. I guess we all know what that means!! :)

If Travis is not playing tomorrow, It can be pretty much guaran-damn- teed he won't play against Baylor on Monday. That Baylor game just got exponentially harder. I do agree, however, that he needs to take as long as it takes to come back close to 100%.

Still, I think the home streak against the "Little Red Engine That Couldn't" is safe..

jhawkfan1981 10 years ago

i wish there was a "like" button!

Hank Cross 10 years ago

He absolutely needs to take time to make sure that he can come back as close as 100% as possible, because his game relies on his explosiveness. He won't be able to hide a lack of speed, agility, hops, etc. playing his role.

phi4life940 10 years ago

Haven't seen any recruitment updates.

Any word on Ben or DeAndre???

JayDocMD 10 years ago

been wondering that too - esp DD with school starting soon. When does the semester start?

Lash 10 years ago

At half let everyone know how much we appreciated Ted and the guys from the '71 team. Great team great year.

Clarence Haynes 10 years ago

We need him especially after seeing our defenders not being able to stay in front of Mich and ISU guards.

Lash 10 years ago

Mario gave 19 good minutes. Helped when Robinson had an off night.

Joe Ross 10 years ago

Archie Marshall, '88.

Roderick Stewart, '08.

Travis Releford, '11?

Tim Orel 10 years ago

People who had their seasons prematurely ended due to injury.

Joe Ross 10 years ago

yes, colorado. In years that KU won the national championship

Tony Bandle 10 years ago

It would be wonderfully Karmatic if, on the 40th anniversary of Ted's first Final Four in 1971, Kansas returns to Houston, this time to emerge triumphant with a National Championship!!!

Myself and 12 other of my Stephenson Scholarship Hall bretheren travelled down to Houston in 1971 in two cars while staying in one hotel room!!! If Kansas gets back there this year, I will again make the journey sans the 12 other guys this time!!!

REHawk 10 years ago

Things usually have a way of balancing. Without Travis, some of the other ten or eleven guys might step up to benefit from the opportunity to make their mark. When we head down the stretch, the more experienced bench players, the better. But is a fact that we could use him pronto, esp. at Waco Monday. Thomas, you and Mario must rev up to do some fine work in the next three days!

AirCapJay 10 years ago

I really like Travis. He is like Xavier last year in that Travis always has a big smile. You can tell he really loves to play basketball.

Ann Oneill 10 years ago

Releford plays a lot harder than X ever did.

hawk_of_ages 10 years ago

I never saw any lack of effort on X's part.

hawk_of_ages 10 years ago

You're going to blame one player for those losses? Ludicrous!

hawk_of_ages 10 years ago

"His effort was lacking..."

Self would have benched him after the TN game if that were true.

hawk_of_ages 10 years ago

"A 15ppg avg can be had by anybody at the wing, if given X's load of mpg."

Yes, that's why so many freshmen here have accomplished those same, ho-hum numbers. Like Danny, and uh, umm... hmm. Well, I'm sure there were lots of them. Piece of cake.

Lash 10 years ago

Always wondered if X really cared about wins and losses.

hawk_of_ages 10 years ago

Considering he only lost three games in his entire KU career, I'm guessing he preferred winning.

hawk_of_ages 10 years ago

Blaming a freshman for three losses while giving him no credit for 33 wins -- now that's what I call illogical.

Jack Wilson 10 years ago

hawk_of_ages: Yes, but X lost the only game that really counted .. the last one. But that statement, and your statement regarding his record, has nothing to do with whether he cared.

How in the world do you know where X's head was? Do you dispute that, many times, X appeared lackadaisical? Do you dispute that many times he appeared to be going through the motions on cuts? Do you dispute that many times he seemed to opt out of the scrum on rebounds? Do you dispute that many times he didn't appear to hustle back on defense?

Those were all things that I saw. Obviously, not entirely unique to X. But to me, kind of stood out a bit. But heck, I just don't know (nor do you). Sitting right behind the bench for 5 of the games last season, I saw multiple times where he seemed disengaged. Meaning it caught my attention .. he acted as if it was boring him. A couple of times, Self would yell "Hey" very abruptly at him, as if to get his attention. And there was some of the circumstantial stuff. But again, I don't really know.

Note how I used the words "seemed" and "appeared" above. Because unless you know the guy, you don't know. He didn't do anything so dramatic that you could tell for sure. I will say in his defense, that there a some players with more calm demeanors and many times that can be mistaken as lackadaisical or as not caring. That has nothing to do with whether they care or are intense; they just don't show it. They just may not appear that way.

I have wondered if we would have been a better team last season with Releford and Little splitting the 3 time over X.

Jack Wilson 10 years ago

Great post, Ralster. I didn't know about your point #9 .. really makes your stomach turn when there are guys that bleed crimson and blue. Not saying a coach sells his soul for the top 10 guys, but the balance of power shifts a bit between coach and player. A coach has to treat them a bit different once they're here. Certain promises are probably made re: playing time, role, etc. And if top 10 type guys aren't "treated" right, you might not get others in the future; so a coach bends a bit. X might have gotten a bit of special treatment. But tough to argue with Self on that one though. To everyone, X appeared to be the perfect add. The right guy to help get the title.

Selby does appear to have a much better perspective. And not to fault X on this ... I really believe it all was driven by daddy.

hawk_of_ages 10 years ago

Wow. You guys must think Bill Self is one helluva wimp (or idiot) to put up with a player "sandbagging" all season. That's just utterly ridiculous.

I saw a talented kid who was a bit uncertain, adjusting to a new level of play. He was inconsistent, sometimes out of position on D, very streaky as a shooter. I saw a guy who wasn't quite prepared to live up to absurdly high expectations, and who did not want to step on the toes of Sherron and the other upperclassmen.

In other words, he was a freshman -- very similar to Josh Selby. I never, ever saw any lack of effort or desire on Xavier's part -- beyond the occasional brain-lock that every freshman goes through.

To blame one kid for our failures last season (and again, let's keep in mind that those "failures" amounted to three total losses -- at any school other than KU that would be the greatest season ever) -- is just, I'm sorry, stupid.

He missed key shots against UNI? Duh. EVERYBODY missed key shots against UNI. By that logic, he should get sole credit for every win in which he DID make shots -- and there were a lot of those.

(And since we're reading facial expressions now -- it wasn't a smirk. It was a smile.)

hawk_of_ages 10 years ago

Come on, you know I always defend Brady, but no way in hell was he better in '08-'09 than X was in '09-'10. Better on defense, yes, but that's always the way with freshmen.

The numbers speak for themselves. Xavier had one of the best freshman seasons of any KU player EVER, and last year's team was one of the winningest in KU history partly as a result of his efforts.

I know X will never be a beloved figure among KU fans since he was our first OAD and his final game was a 2nd-round loss, but that doesn't justify your continual efforts to slander the kid.

Debbie Mangen 10 years ago

I totally agree with everything you said about X. The only reason he had the 15 point average was because the first game EVERYONE fed him the ball so he could set the record. I believe it was 30. Obviously he had off shooting nights to drop his average down to 15. That team had no chemistry after he showed up. No one was allowed to shoot except X, Sherron and Cole. This team is different. They even act like they like each other. Alla shades of 2008.

hawk_of_ages 10 years ago

I hope you're right about this team being reminiscent of 2008, but given how wrong you are about everything else in this post I have my doubts.

"Everyone fed him the ball so he could set the record." Evidence, please. None? Yeah, I thought so.

"No one was allowed to shoot except X, Sherron, and Cole." Right. Oh, also Marcus, Markieff, Tyrel, Brady and Tyshawn. But no one other than those 8 guys! That's why we LOST SO OFTEN last year. I can't believe the coach didn't get fired!

Seriously, what's the matter with you people? Why this need to throw former (and current) players under the bus? Does everyone just turn into an a-hole every time they log on here?

Chris Bruning 10 years ago

phi4life940.....if you want your head to start spinning go to theshiver.com and go to the recuiting message boards.if you don't have account, its like name and password, that simple. BUT you never know what or who to believe but the most interesting one that seems fairly reliable is that DeAndre scratched kentucky and its between texas, KU, and oregon. and supposedly oregon is right up there.....i dunno go check it out, its interesting stuff, and you might find yourself reading for quite a while :).

KU_FanSince75 10 years ago

I sprained my ankle in junior high and I kind of know what Travis is going through. Sucks to have a sprained ankle. By the way he was helped off the floor at Ann Arbor, it looked like a severe sprain. Jayhawk Nation is behind you Travis. Take your time to get fully healed. We need you to fry bigger fish down the road! Rock Chalk!

hawk_of_ages 10 years ago

X was a freshman. Cut him some slack.