Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Can Iowa State’s Fred Hoiberg find Hilton magic vs. Jayhawks?

— Former Ames High School and Iowa State University basketball standout Fred Hoiberg is often referred to as the most popular player in the history of Cyclone basketball.

The 38-year-old former NBA combo guard — nicknamed “The Mayor” after receiving write-in votes during the 1993 Ames mayoral race — currently is riding a wave of popularity as the 19th head hoops coach in ISU history as well.

Hoiberg’s first Cyclone team takes a 13-3 record — 0-1 in Big 12 Conference play — into today’s game against Kansas University (15-0, 0-0). Tip is 8 p.m. at Hilton Coliseum, where the Cyclones have rolled to a 10-1 mark.

“Fred’s a class guy and obviously was a great hire,” KU coach Bill Self said, noting he knows the man who recruited Hoiberg to ISU, Johnny Orr, better than Hoiberg himself.

“There seems to be energy, bounce and enthusiasm with the program and I’d think he and their fans are pretty proud of that. I’d expect it will be as good an atmosphere as we’ll play in all year long.”

That’s partly because legendary coach Orr will be honored tonight. Also, there’s a feeling the Cyclones, who fell at Nebraska, 63-62, Saturday, feel they have a realistic shot at downing KU with Hoiberg at the helm.

“This gives us an opportunity to see where we are against one of the top two teams in the country. I think they and Duke are the best teams right now,” Hoiberg said. He left his post as vice president of basketball operations for the Minnesota Timberwolves last spring to take over for Greg McDermott, first-year head coach at Creighton.

“It’s a special night for us. We’re bringing coach Orr back, opening Johnny’s Legends sports bar up in the concourse (with a statue of Orr in front). It’ll be an electric night. Hopefully we’ll bring back some of the Hilton Magic we’re trying to re-establish.”

Hoiberg went 3-1 as a player versus KU (1991-95) in Hilton, 0-4 in Allen Fieldhouse and 1-0 in Kemper Arena.

“I remember those games against Kansas, you have a little extra in your tank,” said Hoiberg, who exploded for 32 points, including 17 straight in the second half, to pace ISU over KU, 69-65, on Jan. 14, 1995 in Ames. He hit six of 12 threes in that game.

“When we played at Kansas, it was never much of a game. The close games were always at Hilton. Basically at Kansas, they go in with a bullseye on their back every time they play. Those guys have to be at their best night in and out and they are. That’s how they play.

“It gives our guys a great opportunity. Hopefully we can stay in the game and give our fans something to cheer about.”

Hoiberg’s 2010-11 Cyclones claimed marquee victories at Iowa (75-72) and Virginia (60-47) in the nonconference season, while also losing at Northern Iowa (60-54) and at home to Cal (76-73).

“They will be juiced. This will be one of the harder games we play going to Ames,” Self said. “They’ll be honoring coach Orr. They’ll be playing, ‘Here’s Johnny (Orr’s old theme song)’ and probably every past player he ever coached will be there. Add to that they have a good team, better than last year.”

The Cyclones — who will be bolstered by the addition of four transfers next season — normally use just seven or eight players in games. Football players Austin McBeth and Drew Mitchell were added last week just to have enough healthy players to practice.

Diante Garrett, a 6-4 senior point guard from Milwaukee, averages a team-leading 17.1 points a game. He has 93 assists against 46 turnovers. Scott Christopherson, a 6-3 junior guard from LaCrosse, Wis., averages 14.5 ppg. He’s made 48 of 95 threes for 50.5 percent. Melvin Ejim, a 6-6 freshman from Toronto, averages 12.7 points and 7.1 boards. Jake Anderson, a 6-2 senior from Chicago, contributes 11.3 points and 8.5 rebounds, while Jamie Vanderbeken, a 6-11, 240-pound senior from Belleville, Ontario, averages 10.8 points and 5.7 boards. Vanderbeken has blocked 36 shots and stroked 36 of 85 threes for 42.4 percent.

“It’ll be a tough matchup. Our big guys will have to get out and guard,” Self said.

Hoiberg believes he has a team that won’t back down.

“Our guys are going out every night with a purpose on the defensive end of the floor,” he said. “We talk about playing with confidence every night and giving ourselves a chance to win.”

The current, No. 3-ranked Jayhawks enter with a healthy dose of respect for coach Hoiberg.

“I’ve heard of him. I’ve seen him play. I know his jersey is hanging in the rafters there,” said KU senior Tyrel Reed. “I know he was a great player and is a great coach.”

Noted Brady Morningstar: “I followed his NBA career a little bit, especially when he was with the Bulls (1999-2003). He was a good player. I know it’ll be a tough game. It’s always pretty crazy when we go up there.”

KU has won 10 straight in the series, six straight in Hilton. The last Cyclone win over KU was a 63-61 overtime victory on Feb. 19, 2005, in Allen. The last ISU win in Ames over KU was a 68-61 decision on Jan. 31, 2004.

“Iowa State is a great place to open at,” said KU junior Marcus Morris. “They are a capable team. The place will be juiced up. I think we’re all excited for conference play. We’re all saying it’s about time it’s here. I felt it was taking a long time to come.”

KU will return home to meet Nebraska at 1 p.m. Saturday in Allen.

Comments

Kent Wells 3 years, 7 months ago

Last time we played an undemanned team on the raod, it was pretty ugly. I think they (KU) will win a close, frustrating game tonight.

Go Hawks!

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 7 months ago

They're opening a sports bar in the concourse of their arena? Shows their priorities. We only have the Booth Hall and probably the original 13 Rules of Basketball at AFH.

Why didn't the Booth family think of a sports bar? Could have named it "In the Phog" or something clever. Darn Booths, they don't ever let us have anything nice! Why, we could have had a Hooters for the 4 million they spent on those 13 Rules!

Kent Wells 3 years, 7 months ago

Mem: pretty damn clever for 7AM!

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 7 months ago

wells - I'm impressed with your clarity at the hour as well!

Kent Wells 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm all hopped up on the all-you-can-eat BBQ ribs they had at the hotel last night. Surprisingly good for Modesto, Cali!

jayhawk1996 3 years, 7 months ago

They're having problems getting people to attend games. KU isn't.

bad_dog 3 years, 7 months ago

I believe Iowa State has been second to KU in BB attendance in the Big XII for a number of years. Surprising I know, particularly lately, but Hoiberg was interviewed on 810 this morning by Bukaty and St. John and they discussed this issue.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 7 months ago

Well they said they 'always have a little extra in their tanks'....

Chris Bruning 3 years, 7 months ago

I am predicting an easy impressive win tonight. Bill knows how to get the boys ready for Big 12 play. easy victory tonight. KU 77 ISU 55

Ryan Shelton 3 years, 7 months ago

I wish I had your optimism, but we haven't exactly been playing lights out lately. We will wear them down in the second half, but expect a close game throughout. KU 65 ISU62

kushaw 3 years, 7 months ago

Just glad nothing permanently happened to the HIlton Magic after the floods this past summer. The "Concrete Block" as I like to call it will be rockin as usual for the KU game.

Lindsey Buscher 3 years, 7 months ago

Once again, I must reiterate on another board that ISU is 98th in the RPI with 261st SoS.

Has anyone actually scouted them? Just because they have a sparkly record does not mean they're good.

They will compete hard, no doubt, and probably make a game of it because Hilton is a tough place to play, but a "wave of popularity" and "energy, bounce and enthusiasm with the program" does not a good team make.

Expect Kansas to win, even if they have another "off" night.

wrwlumpy 3 years, 7 months ago

Look at who ISU has beaten and and think of what Hilton can be like and this looks to be the toughet game yet. I like our chance better playing Texas at Allen.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

That's a bit of a stretch .. ISU lost at home to Cal. I'll take ISU on the road, rather than Texas anywhere. Talent level isn't close.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 7 months ago

The Jayhawks will be fired up because of the honoring of Johnny Orr. No magic here---just another KU win, baby!!!!!!

kushaw 3 years, 7 months ago

This is going to sound bad, but there is something wrong with the hawks. There just seems to be a "Fire" missing from somewhere. Even though the 2010 and 2011 teams are different, they share one common trait. Absolutely zero "Killer Instinct". I have a lot of issues with this team at the moment and I think I'm still disgusted over the Chiefs/Jayhawks performance on Sunday. Blahhhhhhhhh!

hawk_of_ages 3 years, 7 months ago

The Chiefs game was wretched, of course, but If you're "disgusted" by KU winning a close road game, maybe you need to reassess just how seriously you take your sports fandom. A 15-0 squad shouldn't be generating this much negativity from its own fanbase.

Robert Brock 3 years, 7 months ago

Michigan couldn't make a shot. These guys will. KU in a close one.

hawk_of_ages 3 years, 7 months ago

It's a safe bet that Kansas will shoot better as well.

Hawk1969 3 years, 7 months ago

This will be a tough game. I'm thankful The Mayor can't suit up and play for the Cyclones!

Orr will be honored tonight and the Hilton will be rocking....could be a tough game for our Jayhawks...could very well end up an L for KU. Just living in reality. I hope KU comes home with a W.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 7 months ago

jayhawkinnebr..I want to apologize for the getting in a name calling contest with you. Believe me, I agree somewhat in principle to your message...I would just deliver it differently. Jayhawk to Jayhawk..if you were coaching, what would your rotation be and how would you try to breakdown the minutes?

Scott Smetana 3 years, 7 months ago

Maybe JayhawkinNE is Brady's x girlfriend. Maybe it's Soobawls, he has been MIA.

hawk_of_ages 3 years, 7 months ago

You can apologize if you like, but I think it's safe to say he really is an idiot or a troll, or both.

The "logic" here is unimpeachable. Think how much better our record would be with Brady out of the lineup!

duanep5ku 3 years, 7 months ago

To bad your such an idiot too but since you won't go away and this site has to deal with your constent ignorance on here,maybe you should just deal with Brady being on the team or seek help for your problem. or get a new stick becuase this is way past old.'Troll What nothing to do in Nebraska?

Ludwig Supraphonic 3 years, 7 months ago

Gill football season. Brady basketball. Who has your panties in a wad on the golf, tennis, swim, track, cross country and dance teams. Share the hate. Release the Kraken!

clevelandjayhawker 3 years, 7 months ago

Can we stop the Brady hating/loving. This is a team and all these damn post turn to Brady chats.... Not saying I hate or love his play, just lets talk about something else... I want to see how the opening 5 mins go.... are we going to lay an egg or come out in BEAST MODE

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 7 months ago

Just ignore jayhawkinnebr and you basically cut in half the Brady comments.

hawk_of_ages 3 years, 7 months ago

Not really. I've counted at least 3 more anti-Brady trolls. Notice that one guy above actually agrees with him.

fenix_hawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree it seems like we can't score more then 5 points in the first 3 minutes if we score at all! Same goes for 2nd half.

hawk_of_ages 3 years, 7 months ago

I think it's the opposite problem. Unlike last season, we seem to start strong every game and then let teams slowly come back (see Michigan, UCLA, Arizona).

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 7 months ago

Hopefully we will be 'pissed' at blowing a double pt lead at Michigan and needing to win in OT.

Jim Roth 3 years, 7 months ago

Losing is worse than almost losing. They will be pissed-er. We've reinforced the idea that we can play bad and get away with it.

baldwinjhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

ISU has multiple matchup problems that they won't be able to overcome. As well as being so short of personnel. KU wins after it is semi close for a half. GO HAWKS!

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 7 months ago

Even with the 'Hilton magic', this should be an easy win for the Jayhawks...well as easy as it gets for a conference road game.

Ostertag was our center the last time Fred Hoiberg played against us.

They have beaten N. Illinois and Virginia this year but their non-conference schedule is not very impressive with only 2 games against teams from the major conferences.

fenix_hawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I would like to see the 3/4 court press that was used in the UMKC game, considering how shallow Hoiberg's bench is

Joe Baker 3 years, 7 months ago

"Football players Austin McBeth and Drew Mitchell were added last week just to have enough healthy players to practice." “I’d love to be able to do toughness drills in practice, but with our limited bodies it’s just hard to do,” Hoiberg said. “You just try to prepare them mentally and try to save their legs as much as you can.”

Football players are playing b-ball? I think this is going to be a really physical game. The atmosphere is going to be really charged too. This is becoming a perfect storm of a game!

Joe Baker 3 years, 7 months ago

Can we suit up Zach for an early game? Doesn't the NCAA allow for that? LOL

Jim Roth 3 years, 7 months ago

Worked for KU in 1988, ala Clint Normore and Marvin Mattox.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 7 months ago

Clint's block of Grant, and his 3 from the top of the key with the shot clock running down are 2 of my favorite moments in KU sports. It probably helps to have watched the game at least once a year for 20 plus.

iowa_jayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Kind of short notice, but if anyone is heading up here for the game tonight, I have 2 extra tickets someone can have

clevelandjayhawker 3 years, 7 months ago

Wishi i could...Bet other websites dont have these kinds of offers... your a good fan iowa_jayhawk

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

If Fred doesn't win in Ames, will there be bumper stickers that read: "Recall the Mayor"? :-)

SCHNBALL 3 years, 7 months ago

high pick and roll from ISU all night, bank on it.

Alohahawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Iowa State will put on a good show. Just about always do at the Hilton Coliseum. Plus, they have all the ceremonial stuff to add incentive, sort of like senior night, to their team.

We have to come out strong and get a ten plus lead, then keep it with our defensive capabilities. If ISU makes a good percentage of their 3 pointers, and we don't, the Hawks are in trouble. Could be the telling point of the game. I think our freethrows have gradually gotten better and we will do OK there..

Impossible to shoot any worse than we did at Michigan. Even if ISU throws up a 1-3-1 defense, they won't be as effective as Michigan. HCBS will have worked on attacking it over the interim.Our guards need to drive the middle and drop off to a big for a layup/dunk, or kick out for the three.

Unless we have a complete breakdown in offense, like at Michigan, we should come out with a win. Hawks by seven, no overtime. RCJHGKU!!!

fenix_hawk 3 years, 7 months ago

A little off topic, but does anyone know what the count is on all time wins? How far are we behind Kentucky?

Robert Murphy 3 years, 7 months ago

Since 20% of Kentucky wins were illegitimate it's hard to compare.

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

Heck, 25% of Kentucky's fans are illegitimate!

3 years, 7 months ago

Well-played, chaliced one!

jhawkrulz 3 years, 7 months ago

End of Last year Kentucky - 2023 UNC - 2004 KU - 2003

This season KU - 15-0 UNC - 11-4 Kentucky - 13-3

Total Kentucky - 2036 UNC - 2015 KU - 2018

I'm waiting for the NCAA to get rid of some of the wins from Kentucky's program, but truthfully, I want KU to overtake them with or without those wins, so there is no dispute. Keep Bill Self around and we will have no problems passing them up in a few years.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 7 months ago

If you are thinking about the point shaving during Rupp's term, will never happen.

cragarhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Not sure anymore what the number is, but I don't think we are apt to get much closer to them this year when you consider their conference schedule versus ours.

fenix_hawk 3 years, 7 months ago

You never know with the Kentucky faithful more concerned about "freeing Enes" then they are about the fact that there team runs completely on the athletic ability of its players and absolutely no coaching.

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

Is it true that Enes Kanter has a twin named Penes?

Robert Murphy 3 years, 7 months ago

That's the worthless little sh-t in congress.

ohmixmaster 3 years, 7 months ago

Nope he was a Deputy in Hazard County in the late 70's.

Bad_Brad 3 years, 7 months ago

BoooooOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOooooo!!!!!!!

Chris Bruning 3 years, 7 months ago

fenix_hawk

Kentucky 2035 Kansas 2017 North carolina is somewhere around 2011 or 2012

Am i seriously the only one who thinks we come away from ames with an EASY win? Easy win tonight, we win by 18-22 pts

brooksmd 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm feeling like you. Look for a very up KU team to bring the wrath on ISU. Take it hard inside and get them in foul trouble early with their short bench.

YuCoJayHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

The top 5 teams are all on the road tonight with league matchups. At least one will lose, I'm hoping its Duke or Ohio St.

I don't believe it will be KU. Iowa St. will come out hot and hit like 6 of their first 9 trey's, and they will have a 6 to 10 pt lead on the Jayhawks, and the crowd will be deafening. But KU's talent will overcome and they will methodically catch the Cyclones, prob by half, then will win by 10 to 15. Selby scores 20, Marcus 18, Markieff 16.

Does anyone know what's the biggest margin KU has been down by this year? I've missed a couple games, but the most I remember is being down 5 or 6?

jenajayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I know everyone is thinking about the crowd, but I live in Iowa and I went to this game last year and there were a HUGE amount of Kansas fans! I hope we bring just as many this year if not more! I will be there cheering for those jayhawks!

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

I like to think of Iowa State as Alta KU. :-)

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

"KU's margin of victory over ISU will be equal to the square of the hypotenuse of of a triangle created by a diagonal bisecting Hilton Coliseum, times BC (which equals a Graham Number times its inverse) times the number of foreskins surgically removed on babies within ten nautical miles of the largest synogogue in Ames to the fourth power, all divided by Brightness of light reflected of Johnny Orr's head, as measured by Cal Tech astronomers using the Hubble Space telescope."--the ghost of Professor Irwin Corey, as told to jaybate

Ty Mar 3 years, 7 months ago

hmm..seems like everyone gets worried about every team we play. We have the top players in the nation...arguably the best coach...best trainers...why so serious? All we need is some energy-I'm sure Self will get them fired up. We have everything we need...what more can we ask for? I guess a 7 foot T-Rob would be nice...but with his atheletic ability and built... I don't think the 3 inches bothers him much in the paint.

WE NEED TO BE HUNGRY. NOM NOM NOM

Laura Hrabak 3 years, 7 months ago

Why is everyone SOoooo Negative. I mean I understand that the play has not been stellar for 40 minutes a game but they have been beating teams only playing 23-26 minutes of good basketball as they learn to "finish games" this team will be really, really good if they play for 40 minutes.

But why do half the people here think Iowa St will get an upset or it will only be a 2 point win?

Michigan was bad but we also missed shots...like all of them and I don't see KU doing that twice in a row.

Give em time, they will be quite good come march and arn't too bad already.

Ty Mar 3 years, 7 months ago

Yep. It's about finding the right synergy. I truly believe we could have started our bench players up till now and have the same record. Self has completed his experiment and is ready to unleash his fury!

JayhawkBigXII 3 years, 7 months ago

All I have to say is: guard the three. That's the only way ISU stays in the game.

Alohahawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Tried to post this ten minutes ago. Never went thru. Ohio State barely beats Michigan: 68 to 64 in regulation. That's comparable to KU's win over Michigan: 67 to 60 in OT.

ajhk 3 years, 7 months ago

I hope that EJ didn't dislocate the shoulder again. Brings Simien to mind.