Originally published January 10, 2011 at 07:26p.m., updated January 10, 2011 at 11:57p.m.

Bill Self clears Kansas senior Mario Little for competition

Travis Releford listed as questionable for ISU

Mario Little, who is suspended, stands to watch the action from the bench during the first half, Wednesday, Dec. 29, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University senior basketball player Mario Little, who has missed the last six games while on indefinite suspension, has been reinstated for competition, coach Bill Self said Monday night.

Little, a 6-foot-5, 210-pound guard from Chicago, was arrested on Dec. 16 on misdemeanor battery charges, two counts of criminal damage to property and one count of criminal trespassing.

“Mario has met the requirements of the court and has received a diversion agreement on the two misdemeanor battery charges,” Self revealed Monday.

“He has not only met the requirements of the court but also the requirements of our basketball program. One of those stipulations is his receiving weekly counseling that will continue through the end of our basketball season.”

Little, according to the original police report, pushed a 22-year-old Lawrence female resident in an attempt to find a person listed as his girlfriend. The police report indicated he pushed the person identified as his girlfriend into a sink. He also had confrontations with two men in the early morning hours.

“We as a program take the events of Dec. 16 very seriously,” Self said. “Mario made mistakes and exercised poor judgment. We have let the legal process play out, and have been able to evaluate Mario in the last four weeks in a variety of ways, including counseling. We feel he should be allowed to rejoin our team for games.”

Little played in nine games prior to his suspension, averaging 6.2 points off 55 percent shooting. He will be eligible to play in Wednesday’s 8 p.m. Big 12 opener at Iowa State.

“I believe in Mario,” Self said. “He has been a pleasure to coach and I am certainly proud of the fact he only has three hours left to graduate (in African-American Studies). I’m more concerned about what’s best for our program rather than an individual, but in this case, I believe he deserves a second opportunity to finish his career in uniform. I have consulted with many people about this, and after a lot of deliberation feel confident this is the best thing to do.”

Little issued his take on the situation on Monday night: “I have appreciated all the support people have shown me, especially my teammates,” Little said. “I accept responsibility for what took place that evening and have learned from it and feel awful about it. I’m appreciative of the opportunity to come back. The last four weeks have given me time to reflect and reevaluate a lot of things with myself. I certainly anticipate not only handling situations better but also feel I have become a much better person because of this.”

Releford injury update: KU sophomore guard Travis Releford, who sprained his left ankle late in the first half of Sunday’s 67-60 overtime victory at Michigan, is listed as questionable for the Iowa State game.

“Travis is actually doing pretty well,” Self said Monday on his Hawk Talk radio show. “We did all the X-rays and everything. He has a pretty severe ankle sprain. They worked on it a lot today getting the swelling down. I’d say his status for Wednesday is up in the air. It’s better than doubtful. I hope we have him. I don’t know if that will be the case or not. We’re going to need him down the road, that’s for sure. I don’t anticipate him missing more than one game if he misses any.”

On second thought: Self, after watching the game films, had this to say about Sunday’s win at Michigan:

“I thought we took a little step back yesterday, but one thing we did yesterday was play great in overtime,” Self said on the Big 12 weekly coaches teleconference.

KU outscored Michigan, 16-9, in OT.

“To win on the road when we went 2-for-20 from three in regulation ... they shot it miserably as well. Some nights you have to figure a way to win. We let it get away from us by being so careless., but we played well down the stretch and made some nice plays. This might sound strange to say, but that was probably good for us (in long run) to lose momentum and have to come back and get it back. I definitely take some positives out of that game.”

Comments

Dan Harris 3 years, 10 months ago

Welcome back Mario now prove to coach Self and your teammates that he made the right decision!

Ashwin Rao 3 years, 10 months ago

I am so happy for you, Mario! Hope you do well the rest of the season, and are able to make it a great career!

Ian Brown 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm truly sick of arguing with you or wasting posts on this subject, but please tell me this, jayhawkinnebr: Would you rather see Brady ride the bench for the rest of the season, or would you rather see the Jayhawks win the National Championship? Something tells me you would rather see Brady get P.T. (That's Pine Time) rather than see our beloved Hawks win the Championship. With that said, you are simply pathetic, and quite despicable as a Jayhawk "fan." Why don't you do us all a favor and either shut up with your hatred towards Brady, or keep your a$* off the boards all together.

WilburNether 3 years, 10 months ago

Oh, so because someone has a different evaluation of the merits of playing time for a member of the KU team, you tell him to "shut up" and "keep your a$* off the boards altogether?"

What ridiculous immaturity. Get yourself back to kindergarten, or grow up.

Ian Brown 3 years, 10 months ago

Wilbur, you obviously haven't been following the whole jayhawkinnebr saga. It's not just a matter of him thinking Brady shouldn't get as many minutes as some other player. His "arguments" have been immature, and for the most part, incoherent and irrational. Anyhow, I'm well aware of your stance on Brady, so it comes to no surprise that you would back a fool like jayhawkinnebr.

Ian Brown 3 years, 10 months ago

Jaybate, are you saying solid take, poppa, to me, or WilberNeither?

waywardJay 3 years, 10 months ago

Ibrown....I must take acception here. I want Brady on the Bench too. I agree with JiN that his play is bringing our team down, specifically bu not allowing players like Releford and Johnson to advance... In truth, bringing Mario back also undermines the strength of the youth movement.

Last year proved it for us, when it came time to win the big game ( UNI ) we spent far too much time playing threw Sherron and Cole. We did not develop our younger players to the degree we needed them to step up in that game.

Our continued insistance on playing Brady these minutes puts us in the same predicament as we did last year. Have the weapons, but have no faith in them because we didn't give them a few more handles when nothing mattered.

Elijah and Travis can play, since Selby's return specifically, they BOTH have proven they can play to Brady's level and Better statistically... not just scoring.... rebounding,steals, assists, turnovers.....

Those kids just bring much more to the table than Brady can ever. He's a third string player on this team and he's got the 5th best minutes at last count ( i haven't looked since we played Michigan )....

Brady's a part of this team, but Bill's holding us back by playing him like we do.

Give me Proof that Brady needs to be out there, and I will listen, but the "glue" He provides is quantifiable in a bench role as well. Infact, He can play that role perfectly as a young Brett ballad being the third stringer who Roy would Pull out when the young kids wouldn;t listen....

From what i have seen of this team, there is no logical explanation Brady deserves 25 minutes a game.... let alone 10. Prove me wrong.

Ian Brown 3 years, 10 months ago

I have no problem with opinions such as yours. You state your opinion with dignity and without bashing Brady in every way possible. Your post isn't filled with hate and spite like most of jayhawkinnebr. Moreover, you can post comments in which you make no mention of Brady.

The thing that ticks me off about jayhawkinnebr is his perpetual BASHING of Brady. If you've paid attention to most of his comments over the last months they've been hateful and spiteful, and they don't belong on these boards. That is what I'm sick of. Everything seems personal with him. He's been a jerk (I would use a much more vulger term elsewhere) about Brady in every post on every thread (no matter the subject of the thread). Constantly trying to belittle him saying things like (Brady needs more PT (that's pine time). Brady's a glue guy, glue him to the bench. Give Brady mop up minutes, make him mop the floor after the game. Brady is the worst player ever... And so on). It is uncalled for, immature, counterproductive, and annoying. And its pissing me off, and others. Simply put, its getting old. He says the stufff in EVERY post. Do me a favor and go back and peruse through his posts for the last month or so.

Ian Brown 3 years, 10 months ago

And let me reiterate; I respect posters such as you, Theatus, HighEliteMajor, etc. You guys make legitimate arguments without being hateful or cruel to a fellow Jayhawk such as Brady. Also, you guys are able to disguss other topics than Brady's shortcomings and playing time. Jayhawkinnebr takes a shot at Brady in every post, that's the difference.

And for the record, I don't think Brady should start, I think EJ and Releford should get at least as many minutes as him, and I certainly don't think Brady is a 25 minute guy either. However, I do think he belongs on the court 10-15 mins per game, especially in slow paced games like last nights game (even moreso when our other guards are having difficult games.) He's one of our better passers, he's a veteran, he guards the other teams best player, thus keeping our best players out of foul trouble, and sooner or later, he's going to start knocking down some threes.

Bottom line is, jayhawkinnebr is a borderline troll, I'm sick of it, and someone has to call him out, and I did it. I'm not the only blogger here who has noticed it.

Ian Brown 3 years, 10 months ago

P.s. I apologize for my many spelling amd grammatical errors. I was posting from my blackberry.

waywardJay 3 years, 10 months ago

that's ok....grammar isn't excatly my calling card.

Brianna Zaleski 3 years, 10 months ago

I am not a huge Brady supporter as he is pretty much an offensive liability and seems to make some bonehead plays from time to time that leave me wondering why a 5th year senior is making them. But I will say this, Brady is The best post passer on this team bar none w/out a doubt. He has an incredible ability to get the rock inside when it seems too difficult for every other team member. If you watch a game and focus solely on that part of his play, you will see his value to this team. It is CRUCIAL for us to get the ball down low, especially to the Morris bros who can score a variety of different ways. And other teams try to make it very hard for us to get the ball into the post for obvious reasons, but Brady is still very successful in doing so when the rest of the team is avg. For this reason alone I don't mind him being in there. He also hits just enough of his outside shots to make the opponent respect him, which is probably one of the reasons he is able to get the ball down low w/out having his defender just sag off of him and favor the low post where we are obviously going to try and go w/ the ball 90% of the time. Once again, it is vital that we get the ball down low to the post, we know it and so does the other team, but Brady gets it done the most efficiently on the team by far and we need that skill of his.

Jacobpaul81 3 years, 10 months ago

With Little back and Releford healthy enough to play, Brady will see decreased minutes, no matter what anyone on the board thinks of him. His skill set is not at the level of Releford and Little, his size does little to dissuade this fact. Releford and Little are both needed to guard and play against a 3 guard/small forward. They are the only players we have who can do this. Marcus can't because Withey hasn't developed. Reed, Morningstar and Selby have all proven to small and inefficient. It's gotta be Releford and Little.

If Morningstar is to see future minutes, it will be at the 1-2 behind: Taylor, Selby and Reed and before Johnson.

hawk_of_ages 3 years, 10 months ago

So if I understand correctly: everyone we HAVE been playing (Reed, Selby, Morningstar) is a big disappointment, and only the guys who HAVEN'T been playing (EJ, Little, Releford) will lead us to the promised land.

Maybe I'm reading the record backwards. Are we 0-15?

hailtoku 3 years, 10 months ago

Yeesh which teams actually have pine benches anymore.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 10 months ago

On the right course? Ranked third in the country and undefeated seems like a pretty good course to me!

Jacobpaul81 3 years, 10 months ago

We've played 2 road games and against no one in the top 25. Right Course is totally about team development and has nothing to do with our current ranking.

hawk316 3 years, 10 months ago

Brady plays solid "d" and is usually an asset on the floor. In the past, he also contributed offensively, but obviously has struggled more this year, especially with his outside shooting touch. Personally, I suspect that there is a mechanical flaw in his shot, as I have theorized previously. If so, hopefully, he can get that corrected because we could really use his outside shot, especially when we face zone defenses.

hawk_of_ages 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm sorry, but your thoughtful, nuanced critique has no place on these message boards. Any player who is performing below par must be described as "terrible" and "a drag on the team" and should be immediately and indefinitely relegated to the bench -- especially if that player is a senior who has already "reached his ceiling" and therefore should move aside to make way for underclassmen who were more highly recruited.

Tuskin 3 years, 10 months ago

Once the punctuation is fixed, the last paragraph will be attributable to Self, not Mario...

Welcome back, Mario! Make us proud.

KU1992 3 years, 10 months ago

In other typo news...

I'm pretty sure the expression is "off the court" not "of the court" this isn't the first article where i've seen this mistake.

ibmikey 3 years, 10 months ago

If you are talking about statements such as , "Mario has met the requirements of the court...", then you would be incorrect.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

And that has absolutely nothing to do with this announcement. Good work.

oldalum 3 years, 10 months ago

jayhawkinnebr: You made the same comment (except moreso) on the Recap article. You just can't resist sticking the knife in and turning it one more time, can you. Go to the football board.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 10 months ago

He needs to just go away. We may be actually fueling his disfunction with return comments, even though it's hard to resist. Obviously there is something besides basketball-maybe Brady did something on a personal level like ball his girlfriend or won't be his girlfriend or something else really awful. Simply just a hater with nothing else in life to do except try to stir up $hit like Osborne & Gill. They can take him back too if they like. Acts more like a Mizzery guy really.

Adam Evans 3 years, 10 months ago

This just in. Self kicks Brady off the team, Brady takes over the coaching position of the football team due to Gill going to NU. Secondary news: Self regrets that decision because the football team now has more heart than that of our BBall team and finishes with a winning football record in B12 play while the BBall team limps into the NCAAs finishing 2nd in conference to MU and can't make it past the sweet 16.

100 3 years, 10 months ago

First of all you are always hating on Gill. So if he's as bad as you claim (even though he just pulled in the best recruiting class in the history of Kansas football), why would Nebraska want him?

Also Nebraska still has to pay the Big 12 $10 million for taking off. And Gill is locked in for 5 years here. Does Nebraska have $18 million just sitting around, because that wouldn't even include his new contract.

They need around $28 million to get this great idea of yours going, including what would be a new $10 million/5 year salary, plus an $8 million buyout to go along with the $10 million cost Nebraska has yet to pay for leaving the conference.

Gill's daughter is here, and she enrolled here long before he was hired here.... he's a Jayhawk whether you like it or not.

And if you're a Nebraska fan, can't NU replace Pelini with Osbourne for free?

waywardJay 3 years, 10 months ago

Did you see that kid wo ran for 123 yards on 22 carries for the Runningback less Packers..... this may be a surprise to you.... but he was one of Gill's players..... I don't know how many of Pelini's players are making impacts in professional playoff games.... but I would say for sure one of Gill's players certainly is doing well.

feyhawkinTomOsborne'sColon,

Do you know what else is going to happen that is extremely relevant to KU basketball.

Daughters of the Nebraska Unicameralists is holding a fund raiser for lost aliases. Members of the venerated Nebraka women's group will wrestle naked in Corn Huskers Lotion on Doc Sadler's front lawn. No, really.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

Ian Brown 3 years, 10 months ago

Glad to have you back, Mario. I believe he instills within our team a toughness we sometimes lack. Also, his mid-range game is a great addition to our roster. Aside from Marcus' baseline turnaround J, we seem to lack any real mid-range threat, until now.. In addition, he gives us another much needed "big" since it looks like Withey just isn't going to work out this season. However, I'd like to see him pick up some of the intensity on the definsive end--in the games he played prior to his suspension he seemed somewhat lackadaisical, but so did the rest of our team. Anyhow, goodluck, Mario. I'm very excited to see you back on the court. If we weren't before, we are now undoubtedly the deepest team in the country.

kesmithstl1 3 years, 10 months ago

great assessment! He is undersized for a big, but he is still bigger than Releford. Releford needs to give him lessons on how to guard a big (by not letting them touch it).

I hope he takes this second chance and runs with it. The shot of him after the loss last year in the tourney was what college sports should be! I was hoping he would come out stronger than he showed earlier in the season. Maybe this second chance will get him going!!

LAJayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Welcome back.

Will definitely help if Releford cannot go for the next game (or two). I wonder how Self will trim this to a 9 man team going forward....

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 10 months ago

welcome back Mario! you knew it was sooner than later, when the court case got bumped down until spring. We need him now with Travis hurt....Self said tonight on his radio show, that he doesn't expect Travis to play on Wed...but he should be ready by the next one.

i'm sure Mario has paid his dues with his coaches and teammates...now let's get back to work and make a difference....you get another chance...take advantage of it.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 10 months ago

"the court case got bumped down until spring?"

How do you see that when the article says Mario met the requirements of the courts?

I was wondering about Mario coming back when I read the headlines, but definitely didn't realize it had been 4 weeks or that the charges were actually misdemeanors. It is all the more encouraging that Mario has already gone through counseling and will continue during the last 3 hours of his degree.

Selbyville 3 years, 10 months ago

Rio gives us stability, and he can keep our younger guys calm. He has high basketball IQ

Rock Chalk, Coach Self!!

Go Mario Little.

Show the court, the students involved that night, your coach and the fans that all of our support for you were justified.

Graduate and play ball!

The diversion agreements probably were crucial in making up Self's mind.

I know this was a very sad, unpleasant, and unfortunate event.

But I am proud of Mario Little, of the students involved, of the court, and of the coach that have given Mario Little a second chance, not just on the court, but in his life.

Whether you play another minute, Mario, and I hope you will, you are back on the path to getting better and better.

And to whoever the students were who were involved, it apparently took great courage and character and decency to set aside your justifiable anger and hurt and take this step for a fellow human being and student.

If it were up to me, I would have the team wear a patch with your initials on their uniforms for the rest of the season.

I for one dedicate the rest of this season to the other students involved, and to their families and counsels, who probably had to be involved in clearing a path for this to happen.

KU at its best, when it needs it!

Ad astra per aspera!

Selbyville 3 years, 10 months ago

I don't know about the whole patch thing

Ron Prichard 3 years, 10 months ago

I think you're going a little overboard, Jaybate. Although they may have been consulted (which I doubt), the other people involved typically have no say in this type of thing. The charges are criminal and not civil. The discretion is the prosecutor's. I'm guessing statements were taken and the prosecutor and Mario's attorney talked it over and ultimately came to an agreement that they then presented to the judge.

I love your enthusiasm, but lets hold off on the patches.

rap,

You're usually on the Hamiltons, so I'll chill.

But my angle was this: after criminal charges resolve, those involved perhaps have rights (maybe even some grounds, though I can have no idea about grounds) to pursue civil suits.

In scalping gate, the Feds charged some persons with crimes, but not others. The university said it intended to pursue civil suits subsequently for remedy.

I figure Self would not bring Mario back, if he were about to get slapped with civil suits from others involved.

Therefore I figure the others involved perhaps declined the civil suit path.

Therefore, maybe they acted kindly and deserved some kudos.

But that's a lot of ifs, I figures, and therefores, so I'll adjust my thermostat.

But if the others involved did do a good deed in this situation, I sure would like it if they were recognized for it.

Family, you know?

Jim Roth 3 years, 10 months ago

I suspect nobody involved in this incident wants to be recognized for having anything to do with it in the first place.

Ron Prichard 3 years, 10 months ago

jaybate...I guess a slight mea culpa is in order on my part. It looks like the others involved did not want to pursue charges. So, in a sense, they did pave the way for the diversion. Although the prosecutor can still bring charges if he wants, without the assistance or cooperation of the aggrieved parties, it would be much more difficult. Even if he was able to secure their cooperation, their lack of desire to push the issue was very likely a factor in the prosecutor's decision. So, in a sense, you were on the money. Or the Hamiltons...or the Benjamins...

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 10 months ago

I think the hyperbole was intentional...It will be great to see Mario back in uniform.

Joe Ross 3 years, 10 months ago

I think Coach Self handled this very tactfully. I'm glad he's done two things. One, he made a complete acknowledgment of the fact that Mario did, in fact, make mistakes on the night in question and exercised poor judgment. It makes me feel better about this situation that Mario's mistakes--and let it be clear to everyone: they WERE mistakes--were publicly recognized. But secondly, Coach Self realizes that faults don't doom people in life. "But for the grace of God go I." We all have skeletons and less than stellar moments in life. BUT Mario seems to be getting his act together and is in counseling. We are not a society that can not muster forgiveness on issues such as this. I just hope he makes the most of this situation and doesnt pull a CJ Giles on us.

huggybearhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

jross, well spoken/written/dictated. i concur.

duanep5ku 3 years, 10 months ago

Jross1972 Excellent post and very well said

Ryan Shelton 3 years, 10 months ago

Well said. Do you think KSU and MU fans will see it this way? Or that troll from UK that jumps to our site from time-to-time to remind us that they and their coach are faultless?

Nick Cole 3 years, 10 months ago

Welcome back Mario. I hope you learned your lesson.

On a side note: The fan's signs for away games just got a bit more interesting.

FairgroveJayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm looking forward to seeing him back on the court and happy he's able to complete his career at KU.

waywardJay 3 years, 10 months ago

my lord, Your an Idiot.

He's improved upon what Roy did ( which most thought was impossible )... He recruits everywhere. He draws kids away from Calipari and his under the table dealings, with little more than a promise to do all he can do to make his players NBA ready, and/or the best possible men they can be.

He's Tyrone Willingham, meets Eddie Sutton.

In short, Bill Self is one of the Best coaches in the nation.

And Until 2007, I was a Self Skeptic !

Ben Kane 3 years, 10 months ago

I figure after about 7 more years at KU coach Self will be talked about in the conversation of best ever.

kufankam 3 years, 10 months ago

6 big12 titles in 7 years and a national championship. he's not a god, but i don't think you should really question if someone wants to "trust" bill when it comes to basketball.

cklarock 3 years, 10 months ago

Honestly, it's amazing the amount of public groveling any high-profile athlete has to go through after a bout of the red mist.

Having been equally as dumb and reckless at times (coughmostofthem) during my youth, all I can say is not having to issue any public apologies might be the only upside to a 20" vertical and two left feet. Welcome back Mario, I'm looking forward to watching you play.

bradynsdad 3 years, 10 months ago

I really don't know who I would rather see play Mario or Travis play. I think Travis is much more versatile than Mario. Either way I don't see him getting much playing time for a while.

beware0fph0g 3 years, 10 months ago

I would definitely give Releford the edge at this point, for a few reasons. 1) His D is better than Little's, and arguably the best on the team. 2) He hasn't missed the past 6 games, and quite to the contrary, has played exceedingly well in those 6. 3) Little's mid-range is certainly developing nicely, and we need to get him more PT so he can continue with that. However, the first one off the bench for our 3 spot is going to be Releford because of his recent efforts (though I can see Rel and Little coming off at the same time for the Morrii).

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm all for second chances. The best coach in America gave Mario a second chance!

When HCBS says, "I have consulted with many people about this, and after a lot of deliberation feel confident this is the best thing to do."

Mario, new chance, baby. Don't squander it. Your teammates are behind you. Talk to them. Fall back on them when times get tough. I know a lot of KU fans are pulling for you including "yours truly!" Good luck, man! Rock Chalk forever!

rwhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Let me tick everyone off on this post too...the great part of this news is it means less chenoWithey this year. Now, like last time, please I think Withey can be great next year and the year after...just now by March of 2011.

100 3 years, 10 months ago

Nice rwhawk...

Isn't it nice how sometimes the subconscience speaks the truth that we know is possible within a certain individual...

Regarding Withey getting "great", and I quote....

You said, not only next year & the year after....

But also... "now by March of 2011"

Now you're starting to understand what a big man needs to hear!!!!

Great attitude!!!!!

Keep up the hard work Jeff Withey, we're all rooting for you, we might not have needed you against Michigan, but we definitely need you in March (& the last two games in April)!!!!

Rock Chalk Jeff Withey!!!!!!

Christopher Johnson 3 years, 10 months ago

It only ticks people off because you call him chenoWhithey. I think we all agree that he has a ways to go, but the chenoWithey crap is below the belt and is getting really old. Withey is a quality kid. He deserves to be treated as such and needs not be compared to that arrogant jerk.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 10 months ago

I thought at first that the name was a clever combo, but now I agree w/you. I think both players had/have the unenviable task of replacing popular players..LaFrentz and Cole.

I remember the unfair comparisons between Self and Roy (of which I was guilty of) when HCBS's first year ended on a down note.

Lucky for us that HCBS was able to meet and surpassed the expectations. We should hope the same for Withey.

rwhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

I agree with you. I'll be nicer, really I'm just enjoying irritating the homers, but I shouldn't at Withey's expense.

With that said, I hope I don't see him play much this year...at all.

swunruh 3 years, 10 months ago

Agreed. Jeff is a super kid and is going to have an impact on this team soon!

Steve Corder 3 years, 10 months ago

Classy response, coach Self. Welcome back Mario.

waywardJay 3 years, 10 months ago

Welcome Back Mario.

In your absense nothing really has changed.... There's oppurtunity. GO out there and Seize it and make the rest of the season yours.

Eurekahwk 3 years, 10 months ago

On a related note, why are the managers dating players? It is a job. Student trainers are forbidden from dating them. Perhaps a little more professionalism is in order. Otherwise, women have no business being on a men's basketball team staff. Let them go work with the women's basketball team.

Jim Roth 3 years, 10 months ago

She was a former manager, not current.

Eurekahwk 3 years, 10 months ago

When she was dating the players, she was a current manager. If girls are going to be managers, they need to exercise a little restraint. Or they shouldn't be there. It's a shame that we have to worry about our own staff derailing the careers of guys we promised to take care of.

ajhk 3 years, 10 months ago

Sweet to have Mario back, for sure. Is it bad that when Releford went down, the first thing that came in my mind was, "wonder how long it takes Self to bring Mario back?"

I don't think so. Mario basically got into a scuffle, similar to what Renardo Sidney did, though Sidney did it for lesser reasons, while he was on suspension and in front of the public including national television!

What did Sidney get? one game?

Mario, you've paid your dues to this club (are currently paying others) and all is forgiven amongst your loyal fan base. Play like it's your last season ever, and keep your head up!

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

Longest regular season winning streak (exclusive of post season tournament losses) in college basketball?

UCLA men? No.

UConn women? No.

According to an old edition of Digger Phelp's "Basketball for Dummies" it is a woman's basketball team at Mitchell Junior College in New London, CT, coached by Dan Mara. Mara's Mitchell Lady Pequots won 237 consecutive regular season games in the early 1990s. Phelps calls Mara a bit eccentric.

"He always started five guards, for example. His Samoyed collie, Pep, always sat beside him at home games. And he challenged his players to score 25 points every ten minutes, a challenge facilitated by his employing a full court zone press for the entire game." --Phelps, Digger."Basketball for Dummies," Wiley Publishing, Inc., 2000, Ch.14, p.227

Coach Self, junk Okie Ball. Go to 5 combos. Zone press buzzer to buzzer. Get a Samoyed. Erase Wooden and UCLA from the record books.

Rock Chalk!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 10 months ago

I would suggest a slight modification to Digger's book title..."Basketball for Dummies by Digger the Head Dummy" :)

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

Question: Who dat person in black street clothes next to Conner in the pic at the top of the page?

Selbyville 3 years, 10 months ago

Justin Wesley, he's been at every home game this year

texashawk10 3 years, 10 months ago

Justin Wesley transferred to KU from Lamar University in Beaumont, TX this season and is Keith Langford's brother.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

Thx. Does he have to sit out a season, because of the transfer? For some reason I had it in my head that he was practicing with the team and suiting up for games, too. Guess not.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 10 months ago

so, I didnt make this prediction. but after releford got hurt; another fan posted that little would likely be cleared soon. I had my doubts.... but wow, right on the money within 48 hours.

on a side note; I also heard around campus that little somehow managed to get his charges down only to trespassing... but I cant confirm.

ParisHawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Hawkinator, I think drgnslayr hit the nail on the head when he said that this was the "good news" EJ mentioned after the UMKC game. If he is right, the decision was made before Releford got hurt.

As far as what charges were retained, Self spelled it out : "Mario has met the requirements of the court and has received a diversion agreement on the two misdemeanor battery charges." I take that to mean they dropped the trespass and property damage stuff. I am sure Mario paid for whatever he broke or damaged.

So they dropped the lesser charges and granted diversion on the important ones.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

"Don't Foul These Three Jayhawks"

When an opponent has to foul KU late, Self could do worse than putting Tyrel (93%), Selby (94%) and Brady (83%) out there.

Heck, Tyshawn is even squeezing 73%.

Marcus and Kieff need to get it to 70% and we'll win every close game at the stripe.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

EJ and TRel are still smoking from trey: 45 and 46%, respectively.

Make more free throws and Self will be slip you in every chance he can get.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

Marcus, TRob and Withey are neck and neck in the blocking sweepstakes with 14 apiece. And Jeff has only played one third the minutes that Marcus has and one half the minutes that TRob has. Self and 100 must be right. Withey is going to win some games for us down the stretch.

KULA 3 years, 10 months ago

Finally! Someone else on this board who thinks Withey can play. Maybe I'm not such an idiot...

duanep5ku 3 years, 10 months ago

Kula, No you are not the only one on here who thinks Withey can play if giving the chance. He still has a value Kansas will need,size,shot blocking

Steve Brown 3 years, 10 months ago

Oh he can play, yet clumsey at times and we pick on him like boot camp, 'cause he has some nice upside.

KULA 3 years, 10 months ago

Well, at least Mario is back. I figured with Travis out, we'd see EJ at the 4 before Jeff got any PT.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

Reed is kicking glutes on the jaybate disruption statistic (strips to TOs). He's 2.09 to 1, which may be some kind of record. Anything above one is good. Two times one is just smokin'.

For perspective, only Brady, Travis and EJ are near 1 to 1. The rest are way below one.

We have a lot of room to get better on stripping.

Start pinching guys.

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 10 months ago

I would like to see Offensive Rebounds included with strips. That way you could include the big guys in the conversation and it would basically be (possessions gained)/(possessions lost).

Theutus 3 years, 10 months ago

You'd see Reed on that chart too... He's been a rebounding machine!

I'm going to miss Reed more than any senior in a long while once he's gone... He's going to be another DJack that I don't want to see go.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 10 months ago

Been dreading losing him all year. I grew up about 30 minutes from Tyrel in a small town......he makes us small-towners really proud.

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 10 months ago

yeah, but Reed only gets defensive rebounds, because when KU puts up a shot, he's getting back on defense.

Jacobpaul81 3 years, 10 months ago

Reed?

• He's got 4 offensive boards in 15 games. That's .26 rebounds per game.

• He's got 41 defensive boards in those 15 games. That's 2.7 defensive boards a game.

Of the 608 boards the team has collected, he's contributed 45. That's 7%. And those have been collected by a player who's played 408 minutes (most on the team):

Thomas: 15% - 230 minutes Marcus: 15% - 379 minutes Markieff: 22% - 340 minutes Travis: 5.5% - 208 minutes. Mario: 5.5% - 147 minutes Tyrel: 7% - 408 minutes Jeff: 5% - 103 minutes Tyshawn: 4.5% - 405 minutes Brady: 5% - 338 minutes Josh: 3.6% - 174 minutes 6% attributed to the other guys. 6% attributed to team.

His defensive rebounds help, but Reed has proven to be a terrible offensive rebounder. His O-rebounding is behind all 4 of the 2008 Jayhawks (yes, he gets less O-rebounds than tiny Sherron Collins did in 23 minutes a game playing time). He's just barely ahead of Russell Robinson for total rebounds (2.8 vs. 2.96) and behind both Chalmers (3.1) and Rush (5.1). If the guy would grab a few offensive boards, it'd help his numbers, but right now, I'm not prepared to praise him for his rebounding on this squad.

Theutus 3 years, 10 months ago

In his last 3 or 4 games after receiving comments from Self and DManning about not rebounding enough, he's had a TON of rebounds, both Offensive/Defensive.

A lot of the time he's not getting credit for his efforts either... He stops or blocks out or even tips something to another Jayhawk... I've noticed it a lot in the last few games and I'm not the only one... The point is, he's doing absolutely everything he can....

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 10 months ago

he's not supposed to get offensive rebounds.

1.) his job is to get back on defense, not attack the offensive glass.

2.) he's a perimeter shooter, so he's almost never under the basket to collect off of his own miss, unless it's a long rebound.

Sherron got a few offensive rebounds because he was always attacking the hoop, so he could collect his own miss or happen to be there to clean up after a drive and dish.

Tyrel has been a beast on the defensive glass lately and it's been huge for KU. If he starts going for offensive rebounds then KU will start giving up fast break points. He's playing his role perfectly.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 10 months ago

And Reed gets some rebounds stolen from our big guys .. had a couple of those last game where he gave them up to Kieff and/or Marcus.

ObiWan 3 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, that seems to be happening a lot this year. The Bigs are pretty territorial about their boards. They know that rebounds are their meal ticket. Or, maybe Self challenged them by pointing out how many Reed has been getting.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 10 months ago

I was trying to find steals to TO statistics..not an easy task. Assists to TOs is the ratio more often used w/guards. Both seem very useful, I'm a little surprised that both are not kept other than in the box score...

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 10 months ago

keep 'em coming jaybate. we didn't get a whole lot of news to work with last night!

KuKain 3 years, 10 months ago

So glad to hear Mario is back. I was very excited about him when he became a Jayhawk. Glad to hear his red shirt was not completely wasted. Hope he can continue to provide valuable minutes to the team.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 10 months ago

Obviously too late to the show to say anything of great importance..which rarely happens anyway, so I will simply say...

Welcome back Mario!!

Ben Kane 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm getting tired of waiting for a Deandre update... wasn't he supposed to announce last week? We heard something about paperwork for a grant...any follow up?

side note: this would be a good time for a Ben update as well.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 10 months ago

No SH!T...I guess it must be nice to have the world revolve around you...

Tony Bandle 3 years, 10 months ago

Kentucky rescinded their scholarship offer to DeAndre if that's any kind of clue.

Ben Mac is still working on his Mom. Man, she must really dislike something about Kansas!!

jhox 3 years, 10 months ago

The only firm update I've seen is that Kentucky withdrew their scholarship offer so at least Slick Cal is out of the picture. There seems to be a lot of things pointing to the financial aid / paperwork story being factual. Supposedly he and his family are waiting for KU to tell them what it will cost him, out of pocket, to go to KU for the spring semester. If that amount sounds reasonable to him he'll be enrolled at KU soon, or so the story goes. We've had so many guys get our hopes up and then dash them, that I'll believe it when I read he is enrolled and on campus.

tomoon 3 years, 10 months ago

Mario, you were the only one who was really painful after we lost the last game in NCAA last season. I always remember that.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 10 months ago

don't forget marcus was in a 9 pt stance crying his eyes out too.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 10 months ago

Good memory of a bad memory..Hopefully this year's finish will be much better.

Hank Cross 3 years, 10 months ago

Glad to have Mario back. But, it probably doesn't mean that much. I expect Self to revert to his "Safety First" rotation of the starters plus Brady for every game except blow-outs. EJ, TRob, Travis, and Mario will probably average about 10 minutes, most coming in the first half under this scenario.

Theutus 3 years, 10 months ago

I sure hope that's not what happens....

hawk_of_ages 3 years, 10 months ago

As long as we keep winning...

Anyway, we've seen a gradual increase of minutes for all of those players except Mario, with Michigan being an aberration, so I don't really buy this scenario. As long as their defense continues to improve, so will their PT. What we see in the games is obviously not the whole story.

Hank Cross 3 years, 10 months ago

If EJ, Mario, Travis, and TRob don't get enough experience we're not going to win in March. If the outside shooting goes cold, and the other team has a strong inside player, their tourney run could be as short and as brutal as last year's if we don't develop other options.

hawk_of_ages 3 years, 10 months ago

We certainly need a couple of those guys to develop -- I don't know about all four. T-Rob and Releford were already starting to get more minutes before their recent setbacks, and there's no reason to think that won't resume once they get back into the flow of things.

If we could get a couple of those guys contributing regularly, esp. T-Rob, plus more consistency at the guard spot in general -- Tyshawn, Selby, Brady, Travis and EJ have all been inconsistent -- then we'll have the weapons we need, IMO.

Theutus 3 years, 10 months ago

EJ is shooting a higher percentage, with lower turnover rate than any of them I believe...

I guess the argument could be made that he's not as strong defensively, but I personally don't see that much difference between him and the others defensively... Does he drop his man here and there? Yeah, they all do.

hawk_of_ages 3 years, 10 months ago

Obviously what Self sees in practice has a lot to do with his evaluation as well.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 10 months ago

That's a great way to put it .. the safety first rotation. I plan to plagiarize. But I do see TRob as a guy Self might include in such a rotaton. The Morrises were just lucky to not be in their normal foul trouble. But I could see a tight rotation of the starting 5, TRob, Brady ... and then only spotting in the others. I would agree with Theutus .. I hope that doesn't happen.

hopsnhawks 3 years, 10 months ago

atta boy Little

make mistake, pay dues, welcomed back, as it should be

we are gonna need that smooth shot of yours down the stretch I think

Jack Wilson 3 years, 10 months ago

Now down to brass tacks ..

Self has stated that he will do what's best for the team first. Implied .. I won't play Little unless it helps us. I believe that. So. will it help us.

I questioned on another thread prior to the Michigan game whether incorporating Little at this stage might disrupt our rotation/chemistry building/minutes earned (but that was before the Michigan game, where, quite frankly, I think some of that went out the window).

One good point I saw on Little coming back was getting us in a position to deal with more physical play -- having a bigger 3 available/extra 4. I agree with that point.

But with that, is anyone concerned that Little getting back into the mix will disrupt chemistry, cut into minutes of those who had been building minutes, or otherwise ultimately be more of a negative than a positive? Is this only a positive development? Who sits to give Little his minutes?

**Important Note: The questions are posed understanding that jayhawkinnebr would suggest that we bench Brady and play Little instead, that Brady is a dud, and that Brady has never done anything positive. Ever. And that Roger Morningstar was a better player (because he saw him play), and that those bikes with the big wheel in front were darn hard to ride. Understood.

Hank Cross 3 years, 10 months ago

Self said in the Mich post-game presser that the league games are the most important, so I expect the bench to shrink in order in ensure these wins. I don't think Mario's return will cause a problem with chemistry because I think all non-starters except for Brady will see their minutes go down.

hawk_of_ages 3 years, 10 months ago

I doubt that. Releford and T-Rob were playing well before their recent setbacks, and their minutes were increasing accordingly. Mario will be brought along slowly, but his minutes will no doubt increase from the current zero. EJ could go either way at this point. Withey will probably get minutes against certain teams, and will still have at least some chance to prove himself. But as always, what goes on in practice will have a lot to do with the rotation.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 10 months ago

I think re-incorporating Mario to the team would be less disruptve than incorporating Josh into the line up was. But I don't see Mario getting more than 5-10 minutes, unless there is a really good match-up advantage that he brings to the hardwood on a certain night. If Releford isn't healthy though, he might get more time.

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 10 months ago

HEM, great post and great thoughts.

I am concerned about team chemistry as well, but lately we've seen Self move toward having a small lineup more frequently than going big. Self likes to play Releford at the 4, with just one big player.

If Self plans to use this small lineup frequently during conference play it would bode well for team chemistry because it allows Coach Self to continue to use our incredible guard depth.

However I agree with those who believe that we need Withey to play well in order to be a championship team this year.

That said, I think that the majority of Little's minutes will come at the number 4 position. Which means Travis will see less time at the 4 and more time at the 3. Travis will thus see some decrease in minutes, but this shouldn't hurt chemistry because he's got a terrific attitude. Brady will become almost exclusively a substitute at the 2, which means that he will lose minutes. Johnson likely will lose less minutes because he's been substituting for Tyshawn more.

The more I think about it, the less I am concerned about the impact to team chemistry.

It's hard to say that a team could be too deep. But I have a hard time seeing Coach Self cut us down to a 9 man rotation. He needs to keep Withey available at least in a freshman Cole Aldrich sort of way. But in '08 he never played Rush as a #4, like he's going to with Little. This creates competition for minutes in the big man rotation, but it gives Coach a lot of flexibility to go big or to go small.

Coach also won't want to cut Johnson out of the rotation because he play has earned him the minutes. He's going to want to play Brady because of his experience.

Little, Withey, Johnson, and Brady are the ones who are in danger being left out of the rotation.

Johnson has in the past been a distraction when he has been lost in the team depth chart, I'd hate to see him lose minutes again, but if he does, this is the most likely cause of a disruption of team chemistry.

YuCoJayHawk 3 years, 10 months ago

nice pre-response shutdown of cornholio. lol

KGphoto 3 years, 10 months ago

Not bagging on Self here, because it sounds like Mario deserves to play, (and because I would never dare) but if I were coach I'd be awfully glad of the timing.

Your combo PF/SF/SG duo gets a flat tire and voila, the spare is patched and ready for driving. Just sayin'.

Vincent Patterson 3 years, 10 months ago

I sure hope this doesn't impact Releford's PT when he gets healthy again. His upside is way higher than Mario's. His defense and versatility is better than Mario's and the fact that he is only a sophomore, I would invest in his playing time and development moreso than Rio's. Plus, I like the fact that Releford can jump too and throw it down from time to time. Don't get me wrong, glad Mario's eligible to play again and is starting to put this whole ordeal behind him, but Travis has taken full advantage of the opportunity that opened when this all went down. Much props to T Rel!

YuCoJayHawk 3 years, 10 months ago

a second "who is that" question. Who is that sitting between Withey and Juenemann? I don't recognize him?

Larry Smith 3 years, 10 months ago

Kyle Keller. He used to be Director of Basketball Operations at OSU. He is now the video coordinator for the Jayhawks.

KansasComet 3 years, 10 months ago

Looking forward to the Iowa State game. It is time to get down to business. Who will be the go-to-guy(s) on this squad? I cannot wait to find out. Last year, it was easily Sherron. This year I think Marcus, Markieff and Josh. I loved the way Markieff stepped up and nailed the 3 in overtime against Michigan. We are going to need that going into conference play. It will be great to have at least 3 players that we can count on in a pinch. I also think Mario is capable in that situation as well.

Justin Carlson 3 years, 10 months ago

I may have fallen of my wagon.....but I don't agree with allowing Little back on the squad. He committed a crime against a woman. Bar fight "football fight" fine but not justifiable . But if you look at any other student involved in a physical assault against a woman would he be allowed back in school and still be allowed to use the school for a "free ride." I just think it sends the wrong message for a basketball department. I love KU basketball and am all for second chances even with my own children. I know personally if my child committed a crime "assault" I would have a hard time sitting in front of Self and our new AD and pleading to allow them back. You made a major mistake face the consequences of your actions, not the normal hand slap of today's society!

Just my thoughts from a father raising his kids "old school!"

"SAY NO TO ENTITLEMENT"

KGphoto 3 years, 10 months ago

I don't think you're off the wagon, but we don't know enough detail for any solid judgement either way. Not in this case, and not really in any case involving a student athlete and a crime/fight.

I'm fine with that. Why should I be allowed to know anything at all. If I got into a situation, I certainly wouldn't want details in the paper for the world to judge me by. So I'm certainly not going to judge Mario or the University's choice here. Just be a fan

Jim Roth 3 years, 10 months ago

Legal justice moves slowly. He's been accused by not convicted. And for a misdemeanor, not a felony.

I think Self found the appropriate middle ground. A 6-game suspension is nothing to sneeze at. But Mario hasn't had his day in court yet, and won't until after the season. He should get some benefit of the doubt until then. If he's convicted, and had some eligibility left, then maybe his status should be re-evaluated.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 10 months ago

Tundrahawk: This stuff moved fast. I mean, from the time the guy commits the offense to diversion is basically 3+ weeks. That's fast. In a standard diversion agreement you have to admit to the general allegations. District Attorney's offices will typically not let a person go on diversion unless they admit privately that the facts alleged are true (so as would support a conviction).

You are right .. he has been accused. But diversion is a pre-conviction probation. If he violates his diverson, the DA's office can walk in with his diversion agreement and use his admissions to support the conviction. See my paragraph 1 above.

I get tired of hearing that he hasn't been convicted. That doesn't matter. What matters is whether he did it. And as with other athletes that get accused of all sorts of stuff, the suspensions are many times related to what the kid confesses to his coach, in private. The standard of proof in criminal case is beyond a reasonable doubt.

Finally, note how quickly the Pitt football coach of 30 days flat out lost his job within a day based on an allegation .. again, it is highly likely that the coach confessed to administrators what happened, and they viewed that as enough. And that doesn't have anything to do with whether someone eventually is proven guilty in court.

You have never heard Mario say, or anyone else say, that he didn't do exactly what he was accused of.

But because he got diversion, that means he had no record at all and never even had a prior diversion. That is the general approach.

JCar2510: As a parent, I agree generally. But until your kid loses a once in a lifetime shot, over a misdemeanor, I wouldn't jump in that bucket with two feet too quickly. Remember, again, this was not a felony. This is a misdemeanor, no different than a bar fight. No different than Marcus shooting the other student with an airsoft gun. Your qualification is that it involved a woman. I understand that perspective, and agee that hitting a woman is much different than hitting a guy. I'm not sure how I feel on this, other than I trust Self's judgment.

jayhawksbiggestfan 3 years, 10 months ago

Agreed. Little bashing a ladies head in the sink is not acceptable. But my guess is Bill figured we needed him after the close win at Michigan, Of course this is all ALLEGED. I wonder if that had happened to Our coach's daughter ,wife or relation would Little be out to play for us at KU..... NO! This is coming from a KU alumni and a lady who loves our team.

Jocelyn Kennedy 3 years, 10 months ago

Usually involves community service and a possible eradication of the charges when all requirements are met. Meant to give second chances - sometimes if something else similar happens in the future - all those previous charges can come back and be added to the new ones. I don't believe Mario will get a day in court - this sounds similar to a plea agreement and barring future misbehavior, it's all done. I trust Self and believe he is satisfied with this or wouldn't risk the reputation of the program.

hawksince51 3 years, 10 months ago

Funny you should asked. I had just done a search and read the following on eHow.

"In Kansas, someone charged with a crime can enter into a diversion agreement rather than go to trial. In this agreement, a defendant stipulates (in effect, admits) to the charge and agrees to certain conditions in exchange for not going to trial and possibly being convicted.

Completion
  1. If the agreement is completed successfully, the charges will be dismissed and will not appear on the defendant's record."

So I interpret Self's comment that "he has met the requirements of the court" to mean that it has been completed and Mario's record is clean.

I am happy to have Mario back. If he meets the pre-season expectations I had for him, he will contribute off the bench. If not, I'm happy that after spending 3 years at KU he will get his degree.

hawksince51 3 years, 10 months ago

Based on the later article, Mario has not "completed" the diversion agreement. It appears that will take a minimum of a year since one of its terms is to "stay out of further legal for one year." Also, Self says Mario must continue anger management counseling through the basketball season. The article does not say whether he has completed his 30 hours of community service. So I made a bad assumption about Self's comment that Mario has met the requirements of the court.

KULA 3 years, 10 months ago

Diversion--"a court order to stay away from that two-timin' b****"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

"Disruption Statistics and Moving Basketball QA into GIS (Geographic Information Systems), or Toward Quantitatively Analysing the Game Spatially with Mapping Software"

plastiqueJHawk (and I have modified your alias to express your explosive posting game),

Your idea for broadening the disruption stat with offensive rebounds is an interesting approach I have never considered.

I will certainly think on it.

Some one last season suggested including blocks,too.

Both of these additions in my very rudimentary composite index of disruption have merit.

I have not added more categories yet, because I wanted to get a better feel over time of what even just the "strips to TOs" ratio really indicates and how often it is an indication of disruption consistent with what one observes anecdotally over the course of games.

The important point you make is that disruption occurs both inside and outside and a useful stat should be sensitive to the contributions of both to an overall indication of who is winning at the disruption game.

As it is in simplest form, it measures:

a) how much disruption our defense triggers directly with steals in the opponent's offensive play vs.

b) how much disruption the opponent's defense is triggering in our offensive play.

When the statistic is greater than one, we are tending to win the battle of disruption.

When our disruption is higher than their disruption statistic measured from their perspective, we are unquestionably winning not just our battle of disruption, but the war of disruption.

The assumption is that as we increase defensive pressure, the opponent ought to commit more TOs. Hence, my simple disruption statistic is a measure of defense driven disruption. There is one stat for our team. And one for theirs. Each individual stat suggests how a team is performing at disruption. Comparing the two stats indicates who is winning at disruption.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

What next comes to mind to me is that even my simple disruption stat perhaps needs to be indexed for speed of play, or as slayr is persuading me to say, frequency. Trips per game is essentially cycles per game. Cycles have frequency. Let's not get into amplitude and duration now, because my little mind is not ready for that analytical leap today.

Unindexed, the speed of play increases frequency and is implicitly accounted for in my disruption statistic, but that implicitness may make comparison of disruption stats from a slow game, with disruption stats from a fast game deceptive.

Fast games have more trips (frequency, or cycles, if you prefer) and so even if players are not hurried into errors by speed, the simple increase in the number of trips per game should proportionally increase the total strips and total TOs.

Key Question: as the game speeds up, do strips and TOs tend to increase proportionally, or asymmetrically?

This research needs to be done before the Disruption statistic can be used with strong insight.

There is so much more to be studied and learned quantititatively about the game.

Now, class, get ready, because Professor jaybate is about to lift up out of the purely stochastic (a big word for numerical) real of quantitative analysis (QA) and into the realm of spatial analysis, which is where all the really sexy action is, and for which purely stochastic modelling is just short hand for those mathematically adroit.

Stochastic driven Graphical analysis of related data in every field of human endeavor has been the research frontier in most fields of systematized inquiry for some time.

But something happened on the way through the data cloud.

The stochastic studs, they were perfectly happy with grinding numbers and telling everyone else to trust them that the numbers, formulas and stats said what the stochastic studs said the meant. Lots of blind trust required in that sort of human relationship. I can't sing and I can't add, so if you say an n of six is okay, and if you say it is valid to trust when mulitcollinearity is absent in the error residuals, then I guess we gotta trust you.

And we did for a long time.

But there was always this subset of stochastic studs that were more visual than the other number crunchers. And this subset liked graphs. And they liked the idea of visualizing phase space as not just as a cloud of dots, but as an object full of contour lines, kind of like those on a USGS relief map, but more like the bumpy surfaces on a globe textured for mountains.

These visual guys, especially a subset of them in mathematics, started waxing on about topologies, because it was not considered good style in math to just call them relief maps, but that is what they were, and most of the mathemeticians realized this, whether they were visual guys or beasting, number crunching studs.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

Physicists, of course, look down on mathematicians about as much as mathematicians look down on physcists. The truth is that underneath a physicist is an applied mathematician. True mathematicians study numbers and their properties and their functional relationships and it is only serendipity if what they discover has actual physical application in...physics . The neat thing is that the more mathematicians try to be completely disconnected from physical reality, the more their mathematical abstractions tend to turn out to have some utility for physicists, and engineers and gamblers, and so on.

Help me, help me, help me, jaybate, you are driving me insane. Where is the hoops? Heck, where is the spatial? You're off in mathematics and physics and engineering.

And now geography and geographers.

(Reader picks up gun. jaybate takes it from reader and locks it away.)

Outside the mathematicians, who are the scientific equivalent of extremely long haired musicians in science, among the plastic pocket pen holder crowd of applied scientists, even those with theoretical bents, everyone works at different scales of reality and in different places in space trying to inventory and manipulate things and explain models systematically. That's the chatty version of the traditional epistemological definition of science reading: science is the systematic inquiry into what is using empirically verifiable measurement and formal explanation.

So? So? Hoops? Spatial thinking? Geography even?

(Reader gets gun again. Turns on jaybate. jaybate reveals kevlar smoking jacket. Reader turns gun on self. jaybate takes gun and hides it.)

Almost forgotten in the 20th Century revolution in the sciences, a particularly odd group of scientists, odd in part because they still talked in plain English, that we call geographers persisted, sort of like Catholic monks in western Ireland after the fall of the Roman Empire, in the dignified, but slightly old and musty buildings on campus, guarding huge metal cabinets full of old maps...rather librarians looking after books.

These oddly conventional, and seemingly quaint and archaic geographers seemed an unlikely group to catalyse a scientific revolution in digiized spatial analysis, but scientific brains, being ever curious and opportunistic, no matter how quaint they appeared on the outside, seized on computerized data plotting capability that everyone from biolologists, to physicists, had been increasingly using to actually simulate spatial distributions of real things and dynamic systems.

Geographers were a bit late to the party, but when the computer software engineers and the scientists in all these fields cross pollinated and indicated a recurring wish for a digital equivalent to old fashioned maps, well, even geographers without plastic pocket protectors said, "Hey, that's our turf!!!! We're guys who are supposed to make maps and store mapped information!!! regarding features of the earth."

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

And so GIS, or geographic information systems software was created for the geographers, well, probably for the military strategists first, but then geographers have always worked for the army and the navy. Gotta have a map to invade a continent. Gotta have a map to take control of an ocean, right?

Geographic information system (GIS) software came along and allowed maps of any things, events, and processes occurring in space (and so having measurable spatial relationships) to be expressed not just as highly abstracted and formalized statistics, but as maps. Maps like the paper ones your parents used to carry in the old Buick. Or digital maps like those that appear on GPS screens in your parents new Prius.

Throughout human history maps have been one of the killer apps.

Historically, those with the best maps often win competitive activity, because how we get where we want to go always depends crucially on where things are in relation to where we are. There tend to be several paths to go to a destination, and both players in a two person, competitive game, always have expectations about which is the critical path. If Player A has the better map, showing a quicker, more survivable, or more suprising path, Player A tends to surprise and defeat his opponent, because he is able to turn the knowledge of the game space, and his opponent's faulty expectations of critical path (based on lesser knowlege of a lesser map) against his opponent. This works in war. It works in fast food franchise location. Filling station placement. Regional shopping center placement. Microwave transmitter placement. Satellite placement. Nuclear submarine placement. Basketball arena placement. Post man placement. Wing guard placement. Power forward placement. Shot placement. Placement of defender. You name it, and it works there. And the key word is "there." We are talking real world here...three dimensions...whether at the scale of the universe, the galaxy, the solar system, the earth, any place on the earth. inside the human mind and body, inside the chromosome, inside the atom, inside the super collider, and back up again to the universe. Space, baby, its always the final frontier.

GIS lets you take a map of Kansas and put layer upon layer upon layer of spatial information. It also lets you, if you really know your stochastic quantitative stuff, build dynamic models of what goes on with all that data within each layer, or among all those layers. How much grant money you have depends on how accurate and how dynamic the map is. Mapping can be static like a picture, or dynamic, like a movie, or a YouTube feed.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

Mapping can be 2D, or 3D. If you ever gotten inside a video game environment at an arcade, you are basically sitting inside a 3D map with a screen simulating a 3D map in 2D, unless you whip out the 3D glasses that reveal that the screen your watching is actually a coordinate matrix with X, Y and Z dimensions and the glasses help bring into focus the illusion of depth created by the quite real Z dimension in the data. You remember the Z dimension. It is the one that the statistics teacher added to the X and Y dimensions and said, "See, now we have a phase space simulation of 3 dimensions. Now we can explore topologies with much more sophistication and nuance." And then you started thinking about the incredible topologies of the nubile sorority woman you met at the bar the night before.

A basketball court, in case you hadn't noticed is an X, Y, Z coordinate matrix surrounded by seats of screaming fans and topped by lights, a scoreboard and a roof. AFH is itself an X, Y, Z coordinate matrix that contains the basketball court matrix. The Y axis of the field house rises up a good bit higher than the basketball court matrix to make plenty of room for nose bleed seats an associated revenues.

The 3D basketball matrix is something like 90 x 50 in the horizontal dimensions (X and Z). But it is only about 15 feet high in the vertical dimension (the Y axis).

That 15 is kind of fuzzy. Naismith never really specified the Y axis of basketball beyond the goal height. Players may jump as high as they can. Today most can get up around 12 feet. A few can go 13-14. A very few can get up to 15, the way Wilt could.

We could map basketball information in a GIS that simulated the X,Y,Z axes of the basketball court matrix.We could do it very abstractly and inflexibly with Microsoft Excel, using its 3D spread sheet capability to simulate the 3D matrix of the basketball court. I used to use Excel for just such spatial analysis long ago. It is still a wonderful first cut modelling device for spatial data analysis in 3 dimensions, though most persons just think its good for accounting abstractions.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

But to really take analysis of basketball activity into the 21st century one needs a robust GIS system. The military uses GIS to map every realm of battle, on land, in the air, underseas, in space, inside the brain, inside cyberspace, where ever they plan to compete (i.e., fight) for turf. A cruise missle or a UAV drone rely on GIS to get them to the target and do their murderous, destructive, fundamentally spatial business.

What happens in the 3D matrix of a baskeball game is a GIS model waiting to happen.

When you play football and basketball video games you are already half way "there."

In numbers, alone, there often is no there there, to borrow from Gertrude Stein, or only a very, very few can recognize the there that is there.

In graphical representation of spatial data and relationships, there is mostly there there.

And spatially speaking, there is a lot of knowledge to be data mined "there."

And I suspect that there is a lot of basketball knowledge waiting to be data mined in GIS based simulation of the 3D basketball matrix and what happens in it along times forward pointing arrow.

Consider the Princeton offense as a mapping phenomenon. You could consider any scheme of play as a mapping phenomenon. I pick it simply because it is fresh in everyone's minds after the Michigan game.

The Princeton offense works, to the extent that it does, because it is a fairly complex series of critical paths mapped through an increasingly complex game space, at least increasingly complex for a defensive team to negotiate in chase. Its mapped paths are not only establishing paths of movement through space, as does a road put through a wilderness, the paths themselves introduced complexity into the game space, and increasing complex of highways in a city introduces complexity. Those running the Princeton have read the map and know when and where the critical paths will unfold. The defender usually knows the Princeton map less well, and is also not used to the amount and kind of complexity it crafts into the game space. Thus, a Princeton team, which may not have a talent advantage, may have a strategic, if you will, spatial mapping advantage, unless the opponent can disrupt the Princeton scheme, so that it plays out enough less predictably that its players make mistakes, because the reality of the game space keeps not conforming to the mapped versions of game space.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

Just as not everyone can sing, or stuff, not everyone is good at spatial analysis. If you scored high in spatial reasoning, as I often did, it comes pretty naturally. It makes a person like me say, gee, these maps, and the stochastic QA that generates them and then models and analyses with in them, make sooooooo much more sense, than just the numbers that the guys "good in math" are so effective with.

But here is the thing: spatial mapping turns our to have so much capacity to uncover spatial relationships in spatially plotted data that even the pure numerical quantoids so slick with numeric and letter and funciton symbolization have had to learn to "get spatial."

It turns out that because we live in 3 dimensions, and what we study is mostly happening in 3 dimensions, and we see stereoscopically, and our brains have neural nets in a 3 dimensional glob of cortex, that there just does to seem to be some benefit to 3D graphical analysis. It can often make manifest, or at least hint at, new spatial relationships we had not observed or imagined before.

Don't misunderstand, once we recognize the new spatial patterns, we still have to play grind it out with numbers and statistics so as to really, really understand and use them with dexterity and wisdom and accuracy and reliability.

And there usually is some synergy between abstracting phenomena with both a graphical model, and with a more strictly stochastic model. The spatial guys will see relationships in one. The numerical guys will see some relationships in the numerical abstractions. And one feeds into the other and back again resulting in better and better maps and better and better stochastic mathematical models.

Oh, jaybate, my head hurts. I just want to post about the game of baskets! Stop yourself. Please?

Sorry, this is the e-ticket ride to Modelling for Dummies, a group all humans basically belong to, whether our pride permits us to say so, or not.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

Spatial modelling and analysis has been growing rapidly in use and importance since persons with computers began to be able to quickly express data relationships, as lines and curves fitted through data clouds, and as scatter plots of bias in residual error clouds triggered by how poorly lines and curves fitted with the observed events of reality.

GIS just took this trend into an intensely graphical realm with an often very realistic portrayal of action in 3D.

A piece of software I have long contemplated and wished for is one that converts feeds from an overhead camera and a courtside camera of the floor into a dynamic GIS (geographic information system model of each game and of each season that can run what if tests by varying quantities and functional relationships of what is captured by the camera. A kind primitive MRI scan of a game that can be analysed and what-if tested after the game has been played, maybe even tracked some in real time by an assistant coach, who would naturally be some mix of a spatial and a stochastic nerd, but who also knew basketball, the way a Radiologist knows bodies, or an aero space engineer using CAD CAMs knows aircraft and flying.

Quantitative analysis of basketball is still largely stuck back in the primitively pre, and primitive graphic 20th Century. KENPOM, and the like, helpful as they are, are QA primitive, because they do not model and analyze fundamentally spatial information in a spatial framework of analysis.

Basketball is first and foremost a spatial game played horizontally and vertically.

Coach Spock, please scan and analyse the Michigan game. I want an analysis of what spatial relationships we need to vary to get better and so achieve a wider margin of victory the next time we run into that G!@#$%^d offense.

Scotty, beam us up out of Crisler Arena as soon as possible.

Kirk out.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 10 months ago

My spatial IQ scores were always lower....now, after reading this, I'm thinking that my overall intelligence may be lacking:-)

A lot to digest, but this was worth a re-read....maybe part of your MO is the mystery....but I'm curious to know exactly how many doctorates you have, and what they are in????? Care to share? Having always wanted to write for theater & screen....your command & prose are rather enviable:-)

BlownJay,

You are very kind, but I don't have a lot of degrees and I do not have a big brain.

Everyone is smart, just in wildly different ways that aptitude tests measure with extaordinary and often misleading blind spots. Me just very, very, very, very, very, very, curious.

But I was just talking with this old gentleman the other day who brought my wife the fantastically generous gift of a small green house.

He said he made it for her himself. It was a wooden, A-frame affair covered with corrugated plastic glass of the kind you see at some lawn and garden stores. But it was built to rather higher standards. It could probably withstand a direct hit from a thermo nuclear device for instance. And he said, "I made her so the wind shouldn't be a bother." His casual understatement was akin to the engineer of a Saturn booster saying, "Yeah, its got a little thrust."

I said it looked better than the ones at the store that sells these things prefab.

He said, "Well, she said she like to garden and wanted a little green house like the ones over at the store, so I went by, and i looked at it a second and I thought, well shoot, I can build her one of those."

So he went home and out of his scrap wood pile he built her one that was modelled off the one at the store. Except he didn't use plans. He worked entirely from memory based on five minute look.

He said, "I hope she don't mind, but there was a lot of things about the one at the store that didn't seem very good to me, so I made some improvements."

He had made it vastly better than the one at the store in every conceivable way.

I said, "What are you? A retired carpenter, or something?"

"Well, heck, no," he said, "used to be commercial fishermen for ten years. Got tired of being away from the Missus so much, so I decided to find a business that would get me home ever night. A fellow come to me to ask for a job on my fishin' boat, said he were a crop duster that wanted to fish. Right off the top of my head, I said, 'Do you get home every night bein' a crop duster" He said, 'yes, I do and with my wife I wish I didn't.' I was just the opposite, so I said, 'Tell you what, you teach me to crop dust and I'll teach you to fish; then we'll swap straight up, my fishin' business and boat for your crop dustin' business and plane. Deal?' And he said, 'Deal' and so that's what we did. i were a crop duster for 22 year. Home ever night. Why do you ask if I were a carpenter?"

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

"Well," I said, "I just can't believe someone could build something as good as this green house is without having been a carpenter."

"Shucks no," he said, "I weren't ever a carpenter. Don't know the first thing about carpenterin' but what you have to pick up here and there to repair an old wood double ender, or patchin' a hangar door, or something like that." He paused. "This here green house is pretty simple. I looked at it. And even though I aren't a smart man, I could remember it. And so I built it just like this."

He laid his big hand on his handywork.

"I'm kinda proud of it, bein' my first try."

"How long did that take you?" I said. "Even with plans it would have taken me a month."

"I did it yesterday and the day before."

"Are you kidding me?"

"Well, no, course not."

His friend who had helped him move it shook his head, "No, he ain't kiddin' ya. He's kind of amazin' like that."

"Well," the old crop duster explained, "I don't have to measure much. I can just kinda see what needs cuttin'. Don't like workin' from plans lessin' its real complicated. Just like to get in there and do it, know what I mean?"

My awe obviously showed.

"Look, son, I ain't a smart man, not educated. I just do what needs doin' and try not to worry too much."

I swear to you on a stack of statistics books; this was the smartest man I have ever met and I have been blessed (sometimes cursed) with meeting many exceptionally smart persons in my life, folks with many degrees, folks with some power, too. But this guy was a genius. This guy could just walk through life gettin' it done without any fuss. He did not seem to have wasted a tenth of the time on worry that I have. Without any education at all, he could walk into any situation and figure out what needed doing and do it and do it well. He seemed to recognize jerks and good persons almost instantaneously.

I am going to be in awe of this man for the rest of my life.

Every time I labor over something, I am going to think of this man and how he would have already finished it and been on to next.

What he had did not show up in school tests. What he had did not show up on the military tests. But I'll tell you what: if I ever had to get something done in two days with no plans, I don't care how complicated, or high tech it was, I would call this man first.

He was genius.

waywardJay 3 years, 10 months ago

and the mystery continues, He is after all, Batman.

Ty Mar 3 years, 10 months ago

Awesome story = D

We are all blessed with certain talents and abilities whether we know it or not!

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

"Ohio State vs. Kansas: They Would Beat Us Now with Disruption"

I started with that horrible, vile, evil, nasty, nausea inducing title to this post, because it is time this fine, but experience-challenged team of ours to get with it on Disruption, specifically on protection.

Ohio State is one big dog in the road to a ring. Pitt is another. Duke we can handle, because our defense will take away so many of their strengths.

Ohio State is the greatest threat, not because of how much talent they have, but because the Buckeyes are really the only team in the country that could beat us at our own game of Self Ball.

No, the Buckeyes' coach, the Mad Hatta Thad Matta, is not a member of the Okie Baller mafia. He is instead perhaps now the ranking member of the Herb Sendek mafia.

Self Ball, now the quintessence of Okie Ball, distills to:

a) tough m2m defense b) play it any frequency they want, 70 point take what they give offensive philosophy c) big, strong and 3 deep inside with a fourth for bridge. d) a PG and two combo perimeter players with two back ups e) two 40% trey shooters on the perimeter most of the time f) a great disruption statistic

Ohio State shares the m2m defensive philsophy and KU and OSU are probably a wash there--KU maybe a little longer, OSU may be a little more physical. Advantage: equal.

Ohio State believes in setting frequency, not playing any way the other guys want. But the pace they play at is pretty centrist, break when you've got it, half court most of the time. So OSU hewing to the center will make us hew to the center, where we like to be most of the time, too. Advantage: equal.

Inside they are not quite as big and strong as us, but close. And they have the numbers. KU has more experience in the paint.--Advantage KU.

Perimeter: Advantage KU, if Selby is on, not if not.

Disruption: Here is the ugly shocking truth. The Buckeyes are sharply better than KU in disruption, which is KU's traditional ace in the hole. On the season strips to TOs look like this for both teams:

Team: Strips/TOs OSU: 136/178 KU: 140/211

Disruption Advantage: OSU, no contest

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

Three Point Shooting: OSU is relying on Diebler, who has made 50 of 100 treys! Lighty also is shooting 46% on 64 attempts. There other trey shooters are weak, so their overall trey percentage is only slightly better than KU's .396 to .382. But in contrast, Reed and Morningstar have completely bombed as Trinitarians this season. Reed is at 34% and Brady is at 29%. This has forced Self to turn to the streaky Selby who is at 46%, but tapering downward, and Marcus who has finally climbed up to 41% after a cool start. He's also giving more treys attempts to EJ and Releford when subbing. Releford and EJ show promise as trey shooters, both being in the 40s, but they have had few shots. OSU shoots more treys than KU, too. Trey shooting Advantage: OSU, unless Reed and Morningstar come around, or Selby can stay hot, or Self turns to EJ and Releford even more.

Distillate: KU shoots a little better inside, OSU shoots a little better outside. We defensive rebound way better, OSU offensive rebounds way better. They are big and tough, but KU is probably about as big and tough. They FT shoot just a hair better. The glaring short fall is in Disruption. Both teams strip about the same, but OSU protects way better.

Do you hear this team?

OSU can beat you right now, mostly because of your bad ball protection.

KU and Self have to find a way to protect better.

If KU can't protect better, then it has to become a better trey shooting team.

Frankly, it needs to do both.

Tyshawn and Selby have to cough it up less.

Reed and Brady have to shoot better, or EJ and Releford have to be given more shots and that means more PT.

Self is in a real bind. If he gives EJ and Releford more minutes, to get their trey shooting, the TOs are likely to spike. If he stands pat with Tyrel and Selby, they are cancelling each others strengths. Selby is shooting well, but coughing up the TOs. Reed is shooting poorly, but protecting well.

Tyrel, you are a senior. You are being asked to do way more than ever before. But its not enough. You have to hit the treys. You have to do it all this year. Selby is too streaky without you pushing 40%.

Self is trying to give more treys to Selby and Marcus in hopes they can allow Self to keep Reed and his good disruption stat on the floor.

The only other choice it seems is to keep shooting fewer treys, have Marcus step out and take a lot more, and use his stepping out as a corridor for Selby to attack the rim.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

But this is a problem too, because Selby is apt not to shoot as high of a percentage getting to the rim as Marcus working the paint for high percentage shots. Getting a few more treys, but scoring less efficiently in the paint, is a very watered down improvement.

Now we know why Self is letting Selby shoot 10 times a game, mostly treys, even on 1 for 10 nights. Reed and Morningstar are not getting it done, but he does not dare give up their protection, lest he fall even farther behind OSU in this regard.

Self thinks Selby is the only probable way through the wicket, if Reed and Morningstar continue to fail as trey shooters. And if Reed were to get untracked, then Self would have Selby, Marcus and Reed at 40%.

But that is betting on the come--betting Selby learns to protect and Reed can get back his touch while tired legged from big minutes.

The only other alternative is to run and score more in transition.

KU separates from teams with transition, because the transition baskets substitute for the weak trey shooting.

But Self's Okie Ball philosophy is take what they give us, not force frequency up.

And every opponent from here on is likely to do whatever it takes to prevent a high frequency game with lots of transition baskets. And it is likely to dense pack the paint, and let Selby beat them on his good nights, and let Selby beat KU on his bad nights.

Tough spot, Coach Self. This is usually where you pull a rabbit out of your hat with masking, and some kind of clever redistribution of shooting.

This could be your best trick yet.

ParisHawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Jaybate, these are posts of the kind I like the best. I agree that upping transition is not a viable solution, especially in March. Obviously Self would rather that players improve so he won't have such difficult choices to make: that's what he calls "separation".

I imagine Selby has the most improvement potential between now and March, followed by Tyrel getting his trey touch back.

waywardJay 3 years, 10 months ago

What about the experiemnting press..... We know we hve the backcourt better, and the advantage can be worked.... the 1-2-2 full court dropping to a myriad of coverages at halfway.....

You suggest more transitions is a poor subsitute, sure. But I think You underestimate SUllinger's ability to dunk on our Bigs.... Our best possible answer is to keep it in hte perimeter in their half court sets.... There biggest advantange is rendered neuter in a press situation. Also disrupts their offense, we should be able to switch defenses in the half court, if practiced by then..... triangle and two, box and 1, 2-3, 1-3-1.... Man to man.... FLux your defense on a pivot... always changing but always keeping the same principle in mind.... Deny Sullinger, keep diebler and lighty in front of you..... make everyone else beat you.

Such a display requires talented, and conditioned guards ( which we have an abundance of )....

It also matches what Self did in his pinnacle coaching moment ( the first half blitz of North Carolina.... ) Not only did he play it up tempo to their liking, he shoved it down their d*mned throats.

we press in spurts of 5-7 minutes..... press off makes.... rotate defenses aggressively... never giving them the same looks.... always keeping the same goal.... deny Sullinger. Keep Lighty and Diebler in front of us. Simplify your attack strategy.

On Offense, we save the dribble drive for them. play in practice.... and then game time let selby and taylor go at Sullinger full bore.... Bring Marcus/Markieff ( which ever Sullinger is guarding ) and let our guards play NBA ball. 6-8 foot floaters. penetrate and kick to kieff and cus... be they dunking and1 style.... or popping mid range jumpshots.....

On Defense, we never let them get comfortable. On Offense, we play attack happy.

Best part is.... If first strategy doesn't succeed.....we evole it, and it's planned evolution.

We can always go Safe ( pg, reed, Brady )

We can always go big ( pg, reed, Marcus, Markieff Thomas. )

We can always reload. ( ELijah, Travis, Brady Mario, Thomas )

Okie Ball as defined by Self's next evolution..... is becoming it's own style.

Your first victory is being able to strike your sensei.

Second victory is evolving and beating your sensei.

waywardJay 3 years, 10 months ago

Really want to mess with them.... Run the princeton in the halfcourt, and immedaitely press on the makes.....

snails pace on offense..... Thoroughbred on Defense.

Tell me Tyshawn Taylor wouldn't be inspired by such randomness.... :)

A really fun post,

and the field makes sensei

but in the beginning was the word

and the begats...

Okie Ball begat Self.

And while time past can be our enemy

The good of the past revived in the present

is a moral good in any universe.

Okie Ball and Self.

Tradition and the individual talent.

Take care not to sever them

Or the head dies, too.

Otherwise, Bill is on the Tao of Wood and

sometimes even the walker does not

know how he does it, or