Kansas defeats UMKC, 99-52

• 7 p.m., Jan. 5, 2011
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Well adjusted: Tyshawn Taylor comfortable with Josh Selby now

Coach Bill Self, far left, and players on the Kansas University bench get up in anticipation as the Jayhawks try to break 100 points against UMKC. The Jayhawks just missed, settling for a 99-52 victory Wednesday at Allen Fieldhouse.

Videos

KU vs. UMKC

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated UMKC, 99-52 on Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 99-52 victory over UMKC on Jan. 5, 2011.

Download podcast

Reader poll

Which KU guard played best against UMKC?

• Tyrel Reed (11 points, 4-for-5 shooting, 3-for-4 3s, 5 assists, 1 turnover, 5 steals) 41% 473 votes
  • Tyshawn Taylor (15 points, 4-for-9 shooting, 7 assists, no turnovers, 1 steal) 20% 235 votes
  • Josh Selby (16 points, 4-for-6 shooting, 2-for-3 3s, 7 assists, 3 turnovers, 4 steals, 4 rebounds) 30% 350 votes
  • Elijah Johnson (13 points, 5-for-11 shooting, 3-for-8 3s, 2 assists, 0 turnovers, 1 steal) 6% 70 votes
  • Other 1% 16 votes

1144 total votes.

It took Tyshawn Taylor 2 1/2 weeks — four games — to adjust fully to freshman sensation Josh Selby’s presence in Kansas University’s basketball lineup.

“I think it was (adjustment) for all of us, throwing a new player in after nine games. Even though he’d been practicing with us, he’d been on the second team a lot. I’d not been playing with him too much,” junior combo guard Taylor said after collecting 15 points and seven assists against no turnovers in the Jayhawks’ 99-52 rout of UMKC on Wednesday in Allen Fieldhouse.

In four games since Selby’s season debut against USC, Taylor had scored just 21 points off 8-of-22 shooting and committed 15 turnovers against 13 assists.

“I love playing with Josh. I think he’s perfect for our offense. He makes plays for himself and others. I think he’s perfect,” Taylor added.

Combo guard Selby had 16 points with seven assists against three turnovers on a night KU had six players score in double figures. The Jayhawks also forced 26 turnovers, thanks in large part to an effective 1-2-2 fullcourt press.

“The defenses have been playing us kind of weird. They’ve been sagging in a lot to help on the twins. The shots have been there, but I haven’t been taking them. I feel I have to start taking them and being more aggressive. I think I did that today,” Taylor said.

Taylor hit four of nine shots (one of three threes) and six of seven free throws.

He said he had a blast running the press.

“I like it. I think all of us like it. We can cheat and do things like that,” Taylor said, adding, “it helps slow the other team down. They’ve got to throw the ball back and forth. It’s been good for us.”

KU coach Bill Self liked Taylor’s play — “He was good, shot the ball well, was active defensively” — as well as the press.

“I think against certain teams it shortens the clock so they can’t run their stuff the entire 35 (seconds),” Self said. “We got quite a few steals off our press and turnovers today.”

Tyrel Reed (11 points, 3-for-4 from three) and Selby had five and four steals respectively on a night KU totaled 18 thefts to UMKC’s two. The Kangaroos had just four assists to KU’s 26.

The Jayhawks had several highlight-reel dunks.

KU led, 52-24, at the break and outscored UMKC, 47-28, the second half. Johnson missed a couple of late dunks preventing KU from winning the second half by 20 points, which was the goal during a season the Jayhawks have had trouble putting some teams away.

“Elijah will hear about it when we’re running tomorrow. He’s heard about it from us already,” Taylor said, laughing.

Johnson had a quick quip: “It’s kind of hard to do math when you are on the floor,” he said. “It’s hard to do math when we are running the floor and playing in a college basketball game.”

The laughs are over for a while.

KU travels to Big Ten school Michigan for a 3:30 p.m. tipoff Sunday, then opens Big 12 play at surprising Iowa State at 8 p.m. Wednesday.

Comments

Glen Darge 3 years, 3 months ago

All I got to say is our team better practice and be ready for Iowa. They have beaten us before and the way the Hawks have been playin lately Iowa could make us look real bad.

jayhawksbiggestfan 3 years, 3 months ago

The other side of all this is Selby and TT benefit as well by having Tyrel on the floor. I suspect that by the end of regular season play Tyrel will be shooting 40 % threes or more. ( 46%) would be awesome again ). If we have 4 guards that can shoot 40% or more from 3, that plus drive strong to the basket. The M and Ms play smart. We will be a runaway train.

jayhawktalk 3 years, 3 months ago

All in the Big 10? Can't say I disagree, but there are other teams (a lot of them) that would make me nervous at this point.

Definite +1 on the McCamey comment. I watch Illinois just to see him play. I cannot decide whether he's "deceptively slow" or "deceptively quick", but the guy can flat out play.

waywardJay 3 years, 3 months ago

There are very few teams that really scare me.

Duke's slapping does not.

Here's the short list, and notice the trend.

Wisconsin 12-3. 2-1 in conference. Very Quirky team, can play many different styles and has no super stars.

Illinois. 13-3. 3-0 in conference. Depth to match ours, debatably as skilled. More post players than we can play. Demetri McCamey is a GREAT point guard. They have a guy who can exploit Tyrel as our "3" in Jereme Richmond.

Ohio State. 15-0. 2-0 in conference. If we are the Unstoppable force, they are the Non-moving object. Jared Sullinger is going to foul us out if we have to play aaginst him. He will score 30+..... We can still hold them to 50 with him scoring that much though.

MIchigan State.10-4. 2-0 in conference Never. Underestimate. Izzo. They are a wounded animal, and putting them down will be extremely difficult. There losses were to Duke, Syracuse, Texas and Uconn. Go ahead and figure the combined win percentage of Boeheim,Barnes,Coach K and Calhoun. Yeah, this is an underrated team right now.

We have the pieces to beat these teams, and we will get a goo look at how compeititve we are against them on Sunday, but the Big 10-11-12 is VERY strong right now.

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Despite our struggles against UCLA and USC, I will play counterpoint to everyone's worry about our relatively "soft" non-conf opponents. Now imagine if you are an opposing BigXII coach trying to prepare for KU: 10-11 players to gameplan for. Now WildBill experimenting with press D. Recently added #1 rated PG, and he's playing like one. Many bench players last year no one has faced, so no "book" on those guys (like by 2010, the "book" on Sherron was known by all...). How do you counteract depth? And the Selfster looks like he is ready to use all that depth (now that its developed). That base m2m D Kansas plays is no slouch either, getting better by the week. And those Hawks like to dunk on people. And its not a question of if a team gets dunked on, but when...and even 'by whom', as every single one of KU's 10 starters can throw it down. God help us if we face KU in AFH, as they brainwash our players with that mesmerizing intro video. How do ya compete with that? Scott Drew tried to take his boys in the tunnel briefly, but caught all kinds of hell for being unsporting...

Its 1 thing to try to gameplan against all-the-above. Its another to try to execute vs. 10 'starters'...

Rick Barnes has a better hand to play this season, but he still doesnt know how to play them. WildBill's hand is even stronger than Barnes'...and Bill knows how to play his KU hand. And the Selfster has been inside Barnes' head since 07 anyway. About the time KU beats TX later this mo., is about when the Longhorns begin their usual slide...

Scott Smetana 3 years, 3 months ago

Lovin the Jayhawks, hating our schedule.
I see Texas plays UConn next. They've also played Michigan St., UNC, Pitt, and Illinois. Who have we played that is a likely lock for the tourney? NO ONE. Memphis and Arizona are bubble teams at best (neither made the tourney last year).
The schedules aren't made THAT far in advance. Many games are scheduled within 1-2 years. This team needs a wake up call! I hope Michigan brings it.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like it's clickin' for the Wiz!

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 3 months ago

100---Love your posts and have to admit, those kind of reads make me emotional. The history behind the game of basketball and how it involved Lawrence and KU is just darn interesting. Of course, we KU fans and alumni are really passionate about our basketball Jayhawks, just like HCBS is passionate about being the head man at AFH. I am really anxious to see how we will fare against Conference opponents and if we continue to press like we have done in the past two or three games. I am in favor of the press, mainly because we have the personnel to run it. Last year, Cole and Sherron were our leaders. However, IMO, we are a lot quicker this year than last year. That's why the optimism surrounds this team---there is so much talent. Take Releford and EJ for example-----they are doing good now, but they are only going to get better-----so exciting---the best is yet to come! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Frankly, this concept of TT "comfortable" and in-sync with Selby is THE biggest story of this season, so far. That, more than anything, will show up time & again as high-chemistry/high-speed, dual-threat damage to the opponent. Its already benefitted Reed immensely, as an additional bonus...

JayHok 3 years, 3 months ago

@ 100,

Like oxicaljayhawk said your history on Jayhawk basketball is greatly appreciated and I feel like I'm going back in time every time I read one of your posts. You have a gift. I must admit I skimmed over your two posts in the story above a couple times today without even noticing it was you because of the situation of squinting at my cell phone. For future posts just a little constructive advice on where to place your well thought out and informative responses. Put them as a post all by itself and place the @ sign to whoever you are replying.

That way all of us Hawk cell phone users can see it and appreciate it. For example, unfortunately many today might not have seen your expose on the KU inspired full court press due to our phones scrunching your two huge and insightful posts into a tiny sentence that a cell phone user must click on twice to open up.

Luckily I read the posts later today on my computer and was able to see it easier. Again I mean nothing personal so please don't take it that way we just want to read what you write. Constructive criticism aside it was stupendous to read about the history of fast pace basketball evolving at KU.

Thank you again 100 and best.

Marc Frey 3 years, 3 months ago

I love JS, TT, and EJ, but man RusRob, Mario, and Sherron were alot of fun too.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 3 months ago

(cont) Another big negative to zone presses is falling back into a man defense out of the zone press. I personally would never do that. But I'm not coaching big time college athletes that are better with locating their men, helping, etc., to get situated. Don't be surprised to see a few loose baskets against better teams if we use it. Not necessarily the open layup one might think about in press break, but the open three, or the unguarded player with a short J.

Interestingly, you saw Brady at the top of the 1-2-2 last night. Actually, perfect type of guy for that spot. Under control, disciplined, methodical, good footwork. You want your faster guards as the next 2 defenders so they can get to the sideline to stop the dribbler. Perfect fit for Selby/EJ/TT. Reed would probably be fine at any spot, and of course, Selby/EJ/TT could play the top.

As mentioned, Self seemed to use the 1-2-2 primarily as a 3/4 court press last night. It was at times a "full court press", based on the trapping spots, but he's using it more as a 3/4 press. It is the perfect "pressure" press, and is perfect for our personnel .. Markieff, TRob, and/or Marcus as the back two defenders.

If we can use this 1 out of 4, 1 out of 5 possessions, that would be great. But while I absolutely love the press at lower levels of ball, I still view it at higher levels like blitzing on the defensive side of the ball in football .. why do it if your stopping them in your base defense? Risk/reward isn't there.

Which brings us to why Self is pulling this press out, and a concern. He is seeking answers for a team he obviously views as defensively inferior, and the option/necessity of the press may become more apparent as the games get more difficult. It might be a touch concerning because Self has always said we are a "pressure" team, not a "press" team. Perhaps the depth of our defensive ineptness has caused this change of heart. While we all like the press, it's exciting, etc., this may not be "positive" evidence regarding Self's assessment of our potential to progress defensively this season.

I understand some of press points are obvious to some, but thought I'd hit them anyway.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 3 months ago

The points made above by everyone on the zone press are good ones.

One important consideration is the type of zone press employed .. at the basic level, is it a "full court" press or a "3/4" court press. The article suggests we ran a "full court press." Most of the time, it wasn't .. it was a 3/4 court press. Two separate calls, two separate schemes, and many options within both. Big difference. We do not want to run a full court press even 20% of the time. Risk/reward is just not there. We would only want to run a full court press sporadically as a "catch you by surprise" deal.

The basic difference is the forward point of the first trap. With the full court press, you funnel the ball to the corner between the free throw line and the baseline on the inbound pass, attempt to trap at that corner; then attempt to funnel down the sidelines and then trap at the edge just prior to halfcourt. With the 3/4 court press we used primarly last night, the defenders slid back and trapped past the free throw line and nearer to halfcourt than a fullcourt press. The 3/4 court press is employed by simply sagging on the inbounds and "jumping the defender" at a spot about equal to the free throw line or deeper. The second trap falls just past half court (if the scheme includes that). You can rachet up or down your level of aggressiveness with each trip.

What I love about 1-2-2 press is that you can use it all the time, literally, while providing for limited risk of the easy layup (unlike the 1-2-1-1 which is more agressive, prone to getting beat deep, particularly as high levels).

With the 1-2-2, you can, at one one end of the spectrum, simply sag it back to your defensive end one possession; jump the inbounds pass the next; selectively trap a side the next time; mix in the trap just past half-court; trap then sag; etc.

A big point to remember is that the primary focus of a zone press is to intercept the pass out of the trap. That is the biggest deal .. to avoid reaching and grabbing. Rather, looking to intercept. But that is a negative by-product .. reach-in fouls. (As a side note, I have found presses to be more effective in the girls/womens' game because ladies tend to be a touch more disciplined on reaching (no jokes please), and the ladies can't hit the 60 foot overhead cross court pass .. meaning they can't generally can't flip the long pass as easily).

Woody Cragg 3 years, 3 months ago

"Frequency" is also why quick teams get hosed by the tv timeouts in the tounament. That ain't in the Funk & Wagnals either. It's in the contract.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 3 months ago

OK call it frequency, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency, and I guess you can make a form of brain surgery out of this after all. JB, our lives have become enlightened today. Whithey just has a problem with the frequency of the game guys. Now I really feel like I "get it"! Ya think he wiil too?

ohmixmaster 3 years, 3 months ago

Is it just me or does it seem like the guy who works best with Selby appear to be Reed? I've been a fan of TR since his Freshman year (Being a former player and coach I'm a sucker for good jump shooting technique), but I've never seen him play at this level. Everything about TR's game has elevated since Selby joined the team on the floor. He attacks the rim, plays tougher disciplined defense, and even rebounds. The kid could always shoot and played good fundamental ball, but I see him at a completely different level since Selby came on the scene. I'm curious if anyone else sees this.

William Blake 3 years, 3 months ago

What I like about the press is it's potential to change the game's frequency. We've had several players show us what changes in frequency can do to their games. TT is a player who has suffered playing at frequencies difficult for himself... especially last year. And now we have Brady and Jeff both struggling with the frequency of this team.

I like the term "frequency" because it isn't a basketball term. We already have terms like "pace" and "speed" defined. I use frequency because it includes more elements than just speed.

Frequency is the overall effects related to the speed of the game. So when a team gets "sped up" or "slowed down" it goes through changes in several elements that affect the game. Some of those elements are:

1. Change in ball movement (passing)
  2. Change in shot selection
  3. Change in players' emotional state (ie anxiety)
  4. Change in players' mental state (decision-making)
  5. Change in players' court positions
  6. Change in players' physical motions
  7. Change in players' fatigue (physical and mental)
  8. Change in players' perceived power ownership
  9. Change in player-to-player communication
  10. Change in players' own body rhythms
  11. Change in team time of possession and number of possessions
  12. Change in crowd participation

When you start examining to what degree you can affect the game by changing speed, it becomes clear how important it is to control game speed on both ends of the court. It is also important to be able to play an effective game at different speeds. The more you can adjust and level out, the more consistent your success will be. We've had some teams enter AFH with the idea to slow down the frequency for no other reason than to try to take the crowd out of the game!

I'd like to hear more posters in here talk about frequency.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 3 months ago

JB,that sort of logic is why they have Doc & we have HCBS.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

Jaybate, all that and nothing said.

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

Pete Carrill has said many times that everyone thought when the shot clock was adopted, and then shortened, that that would be the end of the Princeton. He said he knew better. He said he had timed his offense through its six step series and found that it could run a full cycle in 35 seconds; that after 35 seconds, it simply recycled.

Carrill was perfectly happy with 35 seconds.

Self has seen the achilles heel of the Princeton and set about whittling away at it.

The Achilles heel is that when the offense has less than 35 seconds to run, it has less than the full opportunity to generate the looks at the basket it is designed to generate.

Shorten the time they have to run the Princeton with a zone press to less than 35 seconds and you accomplish two things.

First, as already indicated, you reduce its opportunities to cycle through and generate a high percentage look.

But, second, and maybe even more important, playing a zone press for 5-10 seconds takes less energy than playing Self-grade m2m for 5-10 seconds. 100 will probably dispute me on this, since he thinks playing zone defense is actually a bigger energy sink than playing m2m; on this disagree, especially the back-pedalling, relatively low effort zone press.

Even Self has to admit that playing m2m against the Princeton, and other ball screening offenses, that try to make m2m defenders fight through screens, and picks and give chase on long arcing cuts, for the full 35 seconds is a big draw down on his team's energy budget.

The zone press is a sound partial solution to this problem.

A team that likes to walk it up the floor, anyway, requires little expenditure of energy to slow down even further with a zone press.

There are counter moves, of course, but the counter moves involve increasing energy expenditure by the opponent, and that would be just fine with Self.

jaybate 3 years, 3 months ago

"The Zone Press Thing"

Wooden used the 2-2-1 zone press for two reasons:

a) it disrupts the opposing team's tempo, whether they are trying to run, or walk, with mininum draw down on his team's energy budget; and

b) it tends to make the opponent start its offense farther from the basket and so end up with a lower percentage shot farther out.

Self is using a zone press for these two reasons, also.

He is opting for a 1-2-2 for what ought to be an obvious reason: Tyshawn Taylor has such fabulous range on defense, he can basically accomplish by himself what Woodens two guards used to accomplish together. Further, Self has a back up in EJ that could do the same thing almost as well. Finally, Self lacks a single, superior athletic defensive post man, like short Freddy Slaughter, tall Jabbar, super active Walton, and super brawny and nimble Patterson were. He has instead, Marcus and Kieff, who both are a bit foul prone, but who both complement each other very well together.

Zone presses tend to speed up tempo, because after the moderate resistance of the zone press, the offense invariably starts farther out and then hurries just a bit to get into routines starting farther out.

Self makes clear that KU's zone press is intended to make deliberate offenses, especially the Princeton style, that scheme to take the entire 35 seconds of the shot clock to run through their options have slightly less than their preferred 35 seconds.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 3 months ago

1st post: "We are getting scary good". When we start beating Big 12 teams night in night out by 40, then "we're getting scary good" Doing it 3 games in a row against UMKC, Miami, and Texas-Arlington is not a body of evidence to say we're scary good. In my KU experience the only times KU has been scary good were the 85-86 team, 96-97 team (I think that was the year, when AZ beat us) 02-03 and 07-08. And I'm sorry, but this team doesn't hold a candle to those teams.

michaelaho 3 years, 3 months ago

Let's wait & see how we play against real competitions. Miami (Ohio) & UMKC were a joke & should not be on our schedule. These games make us worse!

HAWKTOPIA 3 years, 3 months ago

I think we should all relish in having a plethora of awesome talent at guard. If any team has one guard who is unstoppable by one defender that team is a problem. Besides missed free throws KU has been stymied by a single handed small quick guard to lose a many a big game. We now have two guards on the floor that can take any defender to the hoop and draw many defenders every time up the floor. Basketball is a reactive sport and we are just a few games deep into this new potential.

This is why we seem disoriented at times. players are watching others perform their role, it is natural to look a bit lost. This is why JW is seeing minutes, because the best conclusion is always an easy slam. drive and dish! drive and pop from 3! once you draw a second defender the offense is on track.

If we hit freethrows we will not be beaten, especially if we full court press with intensity.

Dr. Robert s. Mosser 3 years, 3 months ago

Lots of games to go. On years past the team has arrived "tired" and played that way after tough conference and B-12 tournament. Playing time spread out should help keep the team from that problem assuming practices take the "tired" problem into account as the year continues.

AzHawk97 3 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone have any insight on why Self was so "pissed off" when not winning the second half by 20 points was brought up in the post game interview? It was his first question, and it seemed to get under his skin. Was it because the players were not suppose to bring it up in their interviews and Tyshawn and Elijah were joking about it? Self stated "they never should have said that," so maybe that's it. I just wondered if anyone knew anything more about this.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 3 months ago

Chemistry may be getting there finally like we all had hoped, but still lag of depth in the paint is likely an Achilles heel. Wassup with the twins anyway? They're going to have a bad reputation when conf play starts with all these techs, and surely will not get favorable calls from refs who exchange notes & watch tape, which most of them do. Either way not enough fouls to go around for the bigs. Travis can only do so much. Guard play will be phenominal but MC & MK have got to get their heads on straight or the lights will go out early again in March. What this team needs is a guy like Piper or a really, really obeident walk-on to do some trench work.

kranny 3 years, 3 months ago

Completely disagree. When Brady is on he is one of the best defenders and runs the offense well. Problem with Brady is confidence unless there's something else going on that we don't know of. Different teams bring different matchups and we'll need his defense again long guards. He'll be fine.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

I think that Bill now has realized that he needs to bench Brady and let the other players put the game away before he brings in Brady. Brady is only good enough to play cleanup after its a KU victory For a 5th senior I have never seen anyone play so poorly on a team. Brady's play is ridiculous, granted, he did a little better but, also had more mins. I think thats because Bill felt that this game was in the bag before it started. This was the best game he has had since being here. Just a nonfactor for KU. We have Johnson, Releford, Woolridge and a couple of others that have a greater skill level than Brady and they are the ones that need more mins and development for this team to make its mark. Brady would best fit this team if Bill would keep Brady on the bench until the last 2-3 mins left, when the game is well in hand of KU. Brady is a total drag to the team.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 3 months ago

we played well last night, but boy, we really need to work on our free throws...only 20-23 from the charity stripe. better work on those in practice.

Lindsey Buscher 3 years, 3 months ago

Hopefully we all saw last night the new role for Morningstar - clean up minutes at the end or a few minutes here and there to give guys a breather. He really didn't flow with the rest of the guards as Reed, Tayler, EJ, Selby, and Releford all looked very comfortable together.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 3 months ago

From the article above: Quick guards Taylor, Selby and Elijah Johnson (13 points) played several minutes together. “I don’t know if that’s our best or most athletic team,” Self said. “We could make a strong case it is. Our best teams, I’ve played three little guards. It doesn’t matter to me, if one (of them) is tough enough to defend a three (small forward).”

EJ got 26 minutes .. no turnovers. Not sure I like 8 three point attempts .. but his steady handling of the ball and added threat offensively are a great add to the rotation. I don't think there is any denying now that EJ, in bigger doses, makes this team better. I do like the combo of EJ, Selby, and TT on the floor together.

Even though I am a huge EJ fan, I'm also a big Reed fan. I love Reed's effort and tenacity. And even though his 3 % is down, I do think he is ultimately our best 3 point shooter. I personally don't care which one starts (EJ vs. Reed). If all four of those guys can play in the 25 minute range, with Selby closer to 30, that would be terrific.

lincase 3 years, 3 months ago

I loved the press as well. If you have that much depth, it only makes sense to keep the pressure on the other team. If someone gets tired, there should be plenty of people who are willing to come in the game. As for the silly technical foul and the intentional foul, it is obvious that the twins have some growing up to do, or perhaps they have an inability to move information from short-term to long-term memory.

ccarp 3 years, 3 months ago

I love Selby's touch and release on a lob pass! With he and Taylor running the offense, we are really dangerous in our transition game. Really fun to watch.

Serious note, our prayers are with you Thomas Robinson. Take care of yourself and your family. We look forward to you rattling rims when you return.

Lindsey Buscher 3 years, 3 months ago

"...surprising Iowa State"

What is so surprising about a 13-2 record against teams with a combined record of 90-120? They are 98th in the RPI with a SoS of 295! Is that surprising? Really?

ISU is not good. However, NOBODY will be surprised that they will be tough at home.

ParisHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I would agree except that Cole might have a hard time getting back fast on D. I'd like to see us press with Withey in the lineup as eraser.

doolindalton 3 years, 3 months ago

Loved the look of the 1-2-2 press and the way it gave the Jayhawks easy baskets. If only KU had used it against Northern Iowa last season instead of letting them walk the ball up the court. The game would not have been close.

phi4life940 3 years, 3 months ago

Jeff Whithey- 0 Rebounds. Niko Roberts- 3 Rebounds.

Ifs our just me or did Whithey look like he was giving NO effort. He got boxed out by guys smaller than him and out rebounded by NIKO ROBERTS who played about 3 mins. Jeff has flashes of greatness but other times...wow, not so much.

Good win tonight though and AWESOME WINDMILL DUNK RELEFORD!!!!!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

Milhouse 3 years, 3 months ago

Brady played well, but the number of minutes he played is inflated anyways because he played a lot of minutes after the game was over. Had the game been close something tells me you would have seen selby, taylor or tyrel in at the end of the game.

waywardJay 3 years, 3 months ago

Wow...really ? Ya think ????

We are getting scary good. Elijah's continued Improvement is great news...... Still brady at 23 minutes is ridiculous..... He played better tonight, but that's going to be a problem when we play against better teams.