Sunday, January 2, 2011

Turner Gill announces wide receivers coach Darrell Wyatt is heading for Texas

After just one season in Lawrence, Kansas University football coach Turner Gill already is looking to replace one member of the coaching staff he has touted since arriving.

Sunday afternoon, KU announced that wide-receivers coach Darrell Wyatt was leaving Kansas to take the same job at the University of Texas. Wyatt, who also held the title of co-offensive coordinator at KU, also will be UT’s co-recruiting coordinator.

This marks the second time Wyatt has left KU. In 2000, he left Terry Allen’s staff to take a job at Oklahoma State, where he worked under current LSU coach Les Miles. That move was about building his resume and growing as a coach. This one seems to be more about family. Wyatt grew up in Killeen, Texas, and has strong ties to the state, which has helped him become one of the top recruiters in the area.

“Kansas is a great place and has been a special place for me,” Wyatt said in a release Sunday night. “Coach Gill and the staff are outstanding and are building something really special here. The opportunity to be close to home and get back to Texas was too much. It is a great deal for me and my family to be close to home.”

Wyatt said the decision to leave was not an easy one and was not made without a lot of contemplation.

“Turner made it very obvious that he wanted to keep me here,” Wyatt said. “He and the rest of the staff expressed how much we were wanted here, and I really appreciated that.”

Ultimately, though, the mighty Longhorns and comfort of home won out. And now Gill is searching for a receivers coach.

“We appreciate everything Darrell has done for Kansas football,” Gill said. “He is an outstanding coach. This is an opportunity for him to get closer to his family and his wife’s family. We hope the best for the entire Wyatt family.”

Wyatt, 44, has bounced around throughout his 21-year coaching career. In addition to his two stints at KU, Wyatt’s travels have taken him to: Trinity Valley, Sam Houston State, Wyoming, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, the Minnesota Vikings, Arizona and Southern Mississippi.

Briscoe finds the end zone

Former KU wide receiver took another step forward Sunday, scoring the first touchdown of his NFL career during the first half of Tampa Bay’s 23-13 victory against New Orleans.

Briscoe was Tampa Bay’s leading receiver on the day. He finished with 65 yards on four catches, giving him 93 yards and six receptions for the season.

The victory pushed the Buccaneers to 10-6, which put them tied with Green Bay for the sixth and final playoff spot in the NFC. The Packers won the tiebreaker, though, and the Bucs will miss the playoffs. But Briscoe’s strong finish should give him a solid start on the 2011 season.

Comments

HAWKTOPIA 3 years, 3 months ago

I am good friends with jayhawkinnebr and she is really not that into sports, So all you hawk fans out there, stop picking on her! She has been through some really tough times and remains sensitive. I personally can't even remember her attending one sporting event since they removed that large burr from her under garments. So lay off, and respect her flippancy. Maybe just pretend she's got something nice to say.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

Maybe we could get Beaty back and send Gill.

dtownhawkfan 3 years, 3 months ago

I wish Beaty would come back, but I doubt he would. We need to fill this spot with someone with Texas connections though.

brid 3 years, 3 months ago

shut up. the ku football is not veary good. they need a better qb and better rb. they also need alout more work on everything else

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

Leave it up to Gill, he has it all in good hands, we hope,hope,hope,hope!!!!!!

Randy Maxwell 3 years, 3 months ago

Wyatt never stays anywhere more than a year or two. He helped KU recruit the first time he was here but I think he knew he was gone this time. Reggie Mitchell is the guy we need to keep he only got, Gilbert Brown, Dana Stublefield and June Henley when he was here before

KUDUDE 3 years, 3 months ago

@HAWKFROMHAYS HE WILL BE THE WR COACH/CO-RECRUITING COORDINATOR AT TEXAS LIKE HE WAS AT KU

HawkfromHays 3 years, 3 months ago

Did I read this wrong or did he just take a demotion (from WR coach and co-OC at KU to just WR coach) to leave Kansas for UT?

jhawkrulz 3 years, 3 months ago

To me this wasn't a big deal. I know he has some recruiting ties to Texas, but I don't see any receivers flying the coup. However, I do think that Gill can make a statement by looking and succeeding on getting a good coach to follow.

Can we get Leach somehow? He probably wouldn't go for an offensive coordinator position, but it would be cool.

I'm waiting for the speculation article tomorrow on who will be the replacements.

hailtoku 3 years, 3 months ago

Is anyone else just more and more impressed with Gill as time goes on? I can't wait to read more future headlines.

Layne Pierce 3 years, 3 months ago

We are 41st in the nation according to rivals, what was the best Mangino ever did? I think 45 maybe. Glen Mason I think 1 year had the 32nd best, something like that.

Wyatt is going to a football powerhouse that happens to pay fantastically and is better for his family. Would you stay? It does not mean that KU sucks because a coach leaves. When Norm Roberts left to coach at St. Johns that did not mean that KU basketball suddenly sucked.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

I don't think they were recruited heavy by anyone. It looks like we aren't getting any real good recruits by what Rival reports.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 3 months ago

If the recruits leave, it won't be to Texas. Their class was full months ago, and most Kansas recruits weren't recruited heavily or at all by Texas. If any leave, it will be to other mid-level D1 schools.

hail2olku 3 years, 3 months ago

Beaty is o-coordinator at Rice.

Hawk1969 3 years, 3 months ago

David Beaty are you still out there? I hope Gill at least makes a call to talk to you about coming back to KU.

100 3 years, 3 months ago

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

Mmmm, nice move. I just wonder if Darrell know something that we don't. I just wonder if it not much more than that. Usually when a good coach leaves a program and says, “Coach Gill and the staff are outstanding and are building something really special here" that there is more to the story. If, if, Gill is really doing that, then just why would you leave something like that and not want to be a part of it which would make a name for yourself as an outstanding coach and in line for a possible head coaching job. I have seen this type of bowing out with grace many times, just to get out of a program that is not going anywhere and you don't want to be a part of its down fall. It has happened many of times and it looks like we have a scenario going on here. Course who wouldn't want to leave KU, Gill, and go to Texas.

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 3 months ago

Ahperse, where are you man? You must be ecstatic! Surely you think this is great news?!?

Chris Bruning 3 years, 3 months ago

we'll be fine. recruits will stay. we lost a great coach though.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 3 months ago

Yea, I hope the recruits stay. Hope we can hit a home run in replacing Coach Wyatt.

KGphoto 3 years, 3 months ago

Question for Wyatt's recruits.

Do you really want to spend your entire collegiate career on the bench at Texas?

shawk13 3 years, 3 months ago

Not much of a surprise since the rumors started. At least it wasn't to Missouri. Good luck coach Wyatt.

patrick_e 3 years, 3 months ago

Good news for Wyatt. Bad news for Kansas.

Let's hope none of the recruits bail...