Sunday, January 2, 2011

Turner Gill announces wide receivers coach Darrell Wyatt is heading for Texas

After just one season in Lawrence, Kansas University football coach Turner Gill already is looking to replace one member of the coaching staff he has touted since arriving.

Sunday afternoon, KU announced that wide-receivers coach Darrell Wyatt was leaving Kansas to take the same job at the University of Texas. Wyatt, who also held the title of co-offensive coordinator at KU, also will be UT’s co-recruiting coordinator.

This marks the second time Wyatt has left KU. In 2000, he left Terry Allen’s staff to take a job at Oklahoma State, where he worked under current LSU coach Les Miles. That move was about building his resume and growing as a coach. This one seems to be more about family. Wyatt grew up in Killeen, Texas, and has strong ties to the state, which has helped him become one of the top recruiters in the area.

“Kansas is a great place and has been a special place for me,” Wyatt said in a release Sunday night. “Coach Gill and the staff are outstanding and are building something really special here. The opportunity to be close to home and get back to Texas was too much. It is a great deal for me and my family to be close to home.”

Wyatt said the decision to leave was not an easy one and was not made without a lot of contemplation.

“Turner made it very obvious that he wanted to keep me here,” Wyatt said. “He and the rest of the staff expressed how much we were wanted here, and I really appreciated that.”

Ultimately, though, the mighty Longhorns and comfort of home won out. And now Gill is searching for a receivers coach.

“We appreciate everything Darrell has done for Kansas football,” Gill said. “He is an outstanding coach. This is an opportunity for him to get closer to his family and his wife’s family. We hope the best for the entire Wyatt family.”

Wyatt, 44, has bounced around throughout his 21-year coaching career. In addition to his two stints at KU, Wyatt’s travels have taken him to: Trinity Valley, Sam Houston State, Wyoming, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, the Minnesota Vikings, Arizona and Southern Mississippi.

Briscoe finds the end zone

Former KU wide receiver took another step forward Sunday, scoring the first touchdown of his NFL career during the first half of Tampa Bay’s 23-13 victory against New Orleans.

Briscoe was Tampa Bay’s leading receiver on the day. He finished with 65 yards on four catches, giving him 93 yards and six receptions for the season.

The victory pushed the Buccaneers to 10-6, which put them tied with Green Bay for the sixth and final playoff spot in the NFC. The Packers won the tiebreaker, though, and the Bucs will miss the playoffs. But Briscoe’s strong finish should give him a solid start on the 2011 season.

Comments

hawk316 3 years, 8 months ago

Ouch! It always hurts to lose good people, but we wish Coach Wyatt the best. I appreciate his words, however...

“Coach Gill and the staff are outstanding and are building something really special here."

Because I think that statement is true, I believe Coach Gill will find a good replacement.

patrick_e 3 years, 8 months ago

Good news for Wyatt. Bad news for Kansas.

Let's hope none of the recruits bail...

KUDUDE 3 years, 8 months ago

THAT WHAT HAPPEN WIN A COACH GO SOME WERE ELES THE RECRUITS GO WITH THE COACH THAT RECRUITS THE PLAYER

shawk13 3 years, 8 months ago

Not much of a surprise since the rumors started. At least it wasn't to Missouri. Good luck coach Wyatt.

KGphoto 3 years, 8 months ago

Question for Wyatt's recruits.

Do you really want to spend your entire collegiate career on the bench at Texas?

hailtoku 3 years, 8 months ago

Sadly, yes. Most recruits would rather stand on the sidelines in hopes to play for Texas than be guaranteed to play for Kansas.

slowplay 3 years, 8 months ago

Sadly, you don't know what you are talking about.

Matt Kenton 3 years, 8 months ago

Look at our basketball team... most of our bench would be starting for other schools.

okiedave 3 years, 8 months ago

Texas isn't interested in our recruits. Texas had all their 4 and 5 star recruits for 2011 committed by last September.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 8 months ago

Yea, I hope the recruits stay. Hope we can hit a home run in replacing Coach Wyatt.

Chris Bruning 3 years, 8 months ago

we'll be fine. recruits will stay. we lost a great coach though.

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 8 months ago

Ahperse, where are you man? You must be ecstatic! Surely you think this is great news?!?

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

saving all my good stuff for whatever gem from the MAC that he hires to replace him

TwistedFish31 3 years, 8 months ago

Why don't you save all your good stuff for your mommy you little tool...

Jayhawk1116 3 years, 8 months ago

Uh, he's going to TEXAS. A big time program and his home state. No conspiracy here.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 8 months ago

You are truly unbelievable. If your car broke down, you'd figure out a way to blame Gill. This is the same good bye speech given by all coaches who leave, not just ones who are leaving sinking ships. I'd bet it's the same thing Tim Beck said when he left Mangino's staff for Nebraska. Texas is a better football job than Kansas, even when we won the Orange Bowl.

100 3 years, 8 months ago

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

Ah man! You totally took down 100's best post ever.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 8 months ago

I have never seen more words inside parentheses in my life!

Michael Leiker 3 years, 8 months ago

I hope there's a lot of women who do laundry for UT Football. You probably just violated a couple of portions of her employment agreement if she works directly for UT. Who knows, if she happens to be the only woman and there is no one else to suspect you might have just gotten her sued.

Hawk1969 3 years, 8 months ago

David Beaty are you still out there? I hope Gill at least makes a call to talk to you about coming back to KU.

DevilHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Rivals certainly agrees with you: http://kansas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1171839

Given his recruits in the class of 2009, it is certainly a good idea to consider Beaty.

He's a young and mostly unproven coach, though. (He hasn't spent enough time at any school - yet - to determine how good of a coach he is.)

Dirk Medema 3 years, 8 months ago

Randall Dent Dexter Linton Christian Matthews Chris Omigie Toben Opurum Calvin Rubles

hail2olku 3 years, 8 months ago

Beaty is o-coordinator at Rice.

Hawk1969 3 years, 8 months ago

Yes, I know where Beaty is. I just hope he's one guy Gill calls to replace Wyatt.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 8 months ago

If the recruits leave, it won't be to Texas. Their class was full months ago, and most Kansas recruits weren't recruited heavily or at all by Texas. If any leave, it will be to other mid-level D1 schools.

Jayjocker 3 years, 8 months ago

Just size and more speed than we have now

Layne Pierce 3 years, 8 months ago

We are 41st in the nation according to rivals, what was the best Mangino ever did? I think 45 maybe. Glen Mason I think 1 year had the 32nd best, something like that.

Wyatt is going to a football powerhouse that happens to pay fantastically and is better for his family. Would you stay? It does not mean that KU sucks because a coach leaves. When Norm Roberts left to coach at St. Johns that did not mean that KU basketball suddenly sucked.

hailtoku 3 years, 8 months ago

Is anyone else just more and more impressed with Gill as time goes on? I can't wait to read more future headlines.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 8 months ago

To me this wasn't a big deal. I know he has some recruiting ties to Texas, but I don't see any receivers flying the coup. However, I do think that Gill can make a statement by looking and succeeding on getting a good coach to follow.

Can we get Leach somehow? He probably wouldn't go for an offensive coordinator position, but it would be cool.

I'm waiting for the speculation article tomorrow on who will be the replacements.

KUDUDE 3 years, 8 months ago

@HAWKFROMHAYS HE WILL BE THE WR COACH/CO-RECRUITING COORDINATOR AT TEXAS LIKE HE WAS AT KU

brid 3 years, 8 months ago

shut up. the ku football is not veary good. they need a better qb and better rb. they also need alout more work on everything else

stuck88 3 years, 8 months ago

We have a very good RB coming in at semester and have a couple good recruits with solid verbals at QB,

I have to believe that you are a troll with your use of they instead of KU/We, find something else to do. Go back to your lovely Cousin/wife in Missouri.

dtownhawkfan 3 years, 8 months ago

I wish Beaty would come back, but I doubt he would. We need to fill this spot with someone with Texas connections though.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 8 months ago

Or FL connections, or OH connections, or CA connections

HAWKTOPIA 3 years, 7 months ago

I am good friends with jayhawkinnebr and she is really not that into sports, So all you hawk fans out there, stop picking on her! She has been through some really tough times and remains sensitive. I personally can't even remember her attending one sporting event since they removed that large burr from her under garments. So lay off, and respect her flippancy. Maybe just pretend she's got something nice to say.