Kansas defeats Oklahoma, 82-70

• 3 p.m., Feb. 26, 2011
  • Lloyd Noble Center, Norman, OK

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Back in the hunt: KU’s win, UT’s loss forge tie at top of Big 12

Kansas forward Markieff Morris maneuvers for a shot around Oklahoma forward C.J. Washington during the second half on Saturday, Feb. 26, 2011 at the Lloyd Noble Center in Norman, Okla.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 82-70 victory over Oklahoma on Feb. 26, 2011.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU players Tyrel Reed and Marcus Morris

KU players Tyrel Reed and Marcus Morris talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 82-70 victory over Oklahoma on Feb. 26, 2011.

Download podcast

— Cole Aldrich of the Oklahoma City Thunder joined 200 or so fellow Kansas University basketball fans in an impromptu celebration 10 minutes after the Jayhawks’ resounding 82-70 victory over Oklahoma on Saturday in Noble Center.

The score — Colorado 91, Texas 89 — flashed on the center scoreboard, informing the lingering spectators that KU had moved into a tie with UT for first place in the Big 12 standings with just two games left on the schedule.

“I rarely pull for anybody to win or lose, (but) I was happy to see a KU alum get a big win today,” KU coach Bill Self said, referring to coach Tad Boyle and his Buffaloes.

“At least it puts it back in our court where we can control our own destiny in our league. To me, winning league is a big deal,” added Self, whose Jayhawks (27-2, 12-2) have won six straight conference crowns. “To have a chance to win it is our goal every year. Our path is hard. This is probably a better scenario than I ever imagined for us (after falling two games back).”

The Jayhawks will play host to Texas A&M at 8 p.m. Wednesday on Senior Night for Brady Morningstar, Tyrel Reed and Mario Little, then travel to Missouri on Saturday.

Texas (24-5, 12-2), which beat KU in Allen Fieldhouse, plays host to Kansas State on Monday and travels to Baylor on Saturday.

“ Big, real big,” KU sophomore guard Elijah Johnson said of the magnitude of the Longhorns’ loss to CU. “We don’t know how big yet, but it could be as big as ... I don’t know. We’ll find out.”

Johnson could be forgiven on this particular day for struggling to complete that thought.

He was elbowed in the neck by OU’s Cade Davis, who was fouled by Johnson in hitting a three with 14:55 left. Johnson headed to the locker room, where he had X-rays taken.

The pictures showed no injury, and Johnson returned to the court with 4:39 left. He was accompanied by a team doctor as well as Angel Morris, mother of the Morris twins, who’d gone back to check on Johnson.

“When he released, on his follow-through, he came down on my neck,” said Johnson, who started his second straight game in place of the suspended Tyshawn Taylor. Johnson had five points and one assist in 16 minutes.

Asked if his injury felt like a football “stinger,” the colorful Johnson grinned and said, “I have another analogy for it. You know when you go to Chuck E. Cheese’s, they give you a hammer and you bop some people on the head? It kinda feels like that’s what happened to my neck. It’s nothing to worry about. I’ll get treatment on it and be back.”

KU coach Self said Johnson, “Got his bell run, hurt his neck. I don’t know how a guy hurts his neck when he fouls a guy on a three-point shot. He fell and did something to his neck. He was complaining enough they had to do an X-ray. He’s fine. He could have gone back in. He’s fine.”

Thomas Robinson also provided a bit of a scare when he banged his surgically repaired right knee on a Sooner and had to leave the game for a couple of minutes in the second half. He’s also “fine,” Self and Robinson indicated.

As far as Saturday’s game, the Jayhawks turned in a near-perfect first half in hitting 17 of their first 22 shots — 17-24 by halftime, including six of 11 threes in building a 45-33 lead.

The Morris twins combined for 20 points off 8-of-10 shooting the first half. Marcus Morris finished with 23 points off 7-of-10 shooting and Markieff 19 points off 7-of-11 shooting.

“Offensively, the first half we were terrific,” Self said. “We missed two shots inside the arc the first half. We shoot 71 percent and we look up and are up 12. We didn’t guard.”

The Jayhawks led by as many as 21 (58-37 at 17:23) and as few as 11 (75-64 at 3:26) in a less-than-dramatic second half.

The big story here was the league race.

Did Josh Selby like the Jayhawks’ chances after a loss to Kansas State on Feb. 14 dropped KU two back of the Longhorns?

“No,” Selby said, “but I didn’t give up faith, either. Every team wants to be on top. This will motivate us.”

Noted Marcus Morris: “We still have two tough games to go. Just because we got that break today doesn’t mean it’s over.”

Johnson grinned when asked what’s the ultimate goal for KU: winning the Big 12, getting a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament or perhaps something else?

“I want us to be in the best situation possible. That’s the biggest goal now,” he said. “We want to be in the best situation. Whatever that means, that’s what we want to do.”

Comments

John Randall 3 years, 6 months ago

The first aTm loss to Baylor this year was followed by five-game Aggie win streak . . . five games from now will be the final of conference tournament.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Haven't seen the "just beat[s]" in a while, 100. Glad to see you bringing it back in the rotation.

Rock Chalk.

Scott MacWilliams 3 years, 6 months ago

On the spot, 100. Just keep the focus, 'Hawks, go to the aTm and clean out the cash!! Misery isn't going anywhere, and you know they'll be wanting to jump on your backs for their senior night. BTW, isn't senior night at Misery when they get their GED's?

ROCK CHALK!!

LAJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

mizzou absolutely stinks on the road, but they haven't lost at home yet this year.

Our last two games may be our toughest.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 6 months ago

17-0 at home; however, their toughest game probably would be a toss up between Vandy or KSU who neither one of them were playing well on the road at that time.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

True, but their only road win in conference is ISU. They can only win at home. I'm not saying their unbeatable at home by any stretch of the imagination, but they will be much more difficult to beat at their place. Our last two games certainly are no cake walk.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 6 months ago

'BTW, isn't senior night at Misery when they get their GED's?'

Good one!

John Randall 3 years, 6 months ago

I'm not sure it's such a 'good one' when all the Tigers are lumped together this way –– after all, there is no guarantee some of them won't miss out on that GED. It isn't just going to classes for easy grades ... there's a test at the end!

doolindalton 3 years, 6 months ago

Elijah Johnson is the best point guard KU has. He has the length, quickness and desire to play defense and does a decent job of distributing and shooting on offense. KU needs him to make a quick recovery.

bergyju 3 years, 6 months ago

EXACTLY........you took the words straight outta my mouth!!!

lee3022 3 years, 6 months ago

I like Elijah as well. However, we do need Tyshawn back and focused. I am expecting that result soon. Elijah needs to start but Tyshawn off the bench will boost that unit.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 6 months ago

I agree BUT..I think Selby should have become the pg the day he became eligible.

fansincewilt 3 years, 6 months ago

I agree Johnson is doing a good job. I do think we need Taylor back. I hope he's paid his dues and is back Wednesday. We certainly will need him Saturday. Those Missouri guards will be tough to contain Saturday. We need to be full force.

John Randall 3 years, 6 months ago

A good job for two games against Ok contingent may presage a breakout, or just a nice interlude. We need TT back in the mix as well, just for return on investment (playing time), if nothing else.

One thing about this year's backcourt is that we do have seven, maybe eight, guards who could be playing major minutes on most other teams in the conference. Of course, there haven't been enough minutes available this year to get some of them as seasoned as they would need to be, but wouldn't our 'second eight' (after MMx2, TRob, TT, Josh, 3 srs) be a threat to make the semi-finals of the conf tourney? Give Doc Sadler (or five other Big12 coaches) EJ, Releford, Woolridge, Withey, Teahen, our walk-on bigs and I'd bet on them to be better than .500 over a season. Hell, better than .700!

The KU bball program resembles the football dynasty Bud Wilkinson had in the 1950s! And with Bill Self minding the store, I may not live to see another lull in the storm.

RRROOOCK CHAAALLLK, JAAAYYYHAAAWWWK, KAAAYYY UuuuUuuu !!!

Brianna Zaleski 3 years, 6 months ago

Was it just me or did that arena look half empty yesterday? And I don't just mean towards the end of the game. I saw groups of empty red seats peppered throughout that place all game. You would think that a place like OU would be able to fill up an arena for a game, especially when the #2 ranked team comes to town. Fair weather fans I guess

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 6 months ago

I was there, and yes, there were a lot of empty seats. There were a lot of KU fans, though. There were several fans walking up to me who I did not know, pumping their chests out, proud of our Jayhawks. As Dickie V might say, "It's Jayhawk Nation, baby!"

brooksmd 3 years, 6 months ago

I think after we win the regular season championship and cut down the nets at Missery, one of the nets should be mailed to Dickie V. Thank him for the bulletin board material.

Steve Brown 3 years, 6 months ago

we don't disrepect the foes home turf, albiet the evil ones, and we have bigger nets to cut. If we won the national championship in Columbia the pictures would do, heck who would want a net from over there, not me. I suspect longhors will lose again, and we have to take care of business, two more games, take care of business. On other hand if you want to plow salt into their turf when we leave so nothing green grows there again, I'm down with that.

tical523 3 years, 6 months ago

WOW!!! Did not even realize that. I know those prideful UT fans are sick to lose to those traitor teams, probably literally losing sleep over it. But I am with you man, wish both of those teams would have went 0-16 in the Big XII in their final year. (even though it is nice to see T. Boyle have success. . . and D. Sadler is a real likable guy)

rockchalk80 3 years, 6 months ago

Barnes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's all I have to say.

RockChalkGuy 3 years, 6 months ago

"Nobody can kill Barnes, but Barnes" - Platoon

RockCaCO3 3 years, 6 months ago

With both UT and Dook losing KU has to be back in contention for a 1 seed in the big dance (referring to Palms and Lunardi picking us as a 2 seed).

oldalum 3 years, 6 months ago

What I saw this morning has us #1 seed in the southwest. Other three are Pitt, tOSU, and BYU.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 6 months ago

After the Texas loss and before the Duke loss, ESPN's Joe Lundi (sp?) had BYU a 1 seed and KU the the top 2 seed. WTF?

Jeffery Barrett 3 years, 6 months ago

Agreed, 7782.

Joe Lunardi is an idiot and a media whore. His first 4, last 4 is stupid! He changes it every 15 minutes. The whole idea of the first 4 out makes no sense whatsoever.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 6 months ago

With Pitt losing today, time for another remake.

Vittorio1224 3 years, 6 months ago

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves "y'all"... as my Texas brethren down here would say :) We still have two HUGE games to pick up and place in the "W" column. aTm, especially now that former KU alum & fellow Topekan, Mark Turgeon, is at the helm! Let's make this personal.... like Mook says, "Family over everything!" ... time to bring home the 7th Big 12 title in succession! RCJGKU! Stay the course... stay humble... stay hungry.

100 3 years, 6 months ago

And pass the ball!!!!!!!

What do the 2nd half against Texas & the entire game Feb 14th have in common?

We didn't pass the ball. We went one on one (a lot). When we did pass the ball it often turned into a sloppy turnover. We spent time pounding the ball on the wood, which would turn into a dribble off the foot or an attempt to dribble through three defenders. When we had one successful pass. We'd hold the ball (sticky). And then go one on one with an odd looking off balance shot.

When we pass, pass, pass....

We wear the other team down & we get great looks....

Keep passing the ball Hawks!!!!!!!

Vittorio1224 3 years, 6 months ago

@Calcium Carbonate ROCK ~ That's TU & Dook my friend :)

UmbertoConforti 3 years, 6 months ago

Both Baylor and K-State are playing good basketball at this point. The kind of ball that most expected they would play all year. Missouri will be a very difficult game and Texas A&M is no push over. They have a great coach. In fact all of these teams have great coaches. The Big 12 is loaded with great coaches.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 6 months ago

As I was sitting in my Lloyd Noble Center seat behind the South goal, I looked up at the scoreboard and I saw that the Buffaloes were winning against the Longhorns, I was thinking, it would be a really good day if Duke lost. KU really controlled the game with the Sooners throughout. Duke did lose. I just watched the #1 team elect! Rock Chalk.

100 3 years, 6 months ago

That's really great you got to travel down there & see them. Jesse told the pregame chat group that he just met you & you put the class in classy (well that's basically what he said I don't remember word for word).

Anyhow way to represent! If a few more (like 6,000?) of us could have made it there & packed their house, we could have made sure the OU fans never miss another KU game.

I was really amazed how empty it was. I was thinking Nick & Cole must have been shocked. They wanted to see "what college basketball used to be like"....

Well I guess they saw what it is like for a large majority of arenas across the US!

Thank God for Allen Fieldhouse, James Naismith, his gift to the world & the Jayhawk nation!

Rock Chalk

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 6 months ago

It was a fun game---got to go to more of them. Thanks for the kind words, 100. My goal is to go to the OU game in Norman every year. I have a brother-in-law that lives in the Dallas, Texas area and we met half way on Saturday. Lloyd Noble has a new nick name, now---Allen Fieldhouse South. I did see Nick and Cole through my binoculars at the game. I saw Cole give a big handshake and hug to assistant coach, Kurtis Townsend, right before the start of the second half. I know it sounds corny, but it was a big thrill to me being at the game and taking in all the great things a college basketball game has to offer. Rock Chalk!

jhawkrulz 3 years, 6 months ago

They said there were 10K fans in the building and I would say there was as much Blue as there was Crimson in the building (if you subtract out the band).

haydenhawkco 3 years, 6 months ago

If both KU and UT finish the season with the same conference record, wouldn't UT have the tie breaker and win the Big 12?

KansasComet 3 years, 6 months ago

No, it is still a tie for first, but they would earn the number 1 seed in the Big XII Tournament.

Darrel Stice 3 years, 6 months ago

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that only matters in seeding for the conference tourney. If our records are the same, then we would share the regular season title. However, due to beating us head-to-head, the Shorthorns would get the #1 seed in the Big XII tourney.

Chicago_JHawk 3 years, 6 months ago

UT would get the #1 seed in the conference tourney, but officially we'd be co-champs (we've been co-champs 2 or 3 times during our 6 year run).

LAJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

We've shared the conference title 3 times in the last 6 years. Once with OU in 2005 and twice with Texas in 2006 and the year we won the national title in 2008.

If both teams win out, we share the regular season title and get a number 2 seed in the Big 12 tournament.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Ironically, we would get the number 2 seed in the conference tourney behind Texas, but probably get the number 1 seed over them in the NCAA tourney.

Theodore Thadogweadore 3 years, 6 months ago

Anyone else remember Rick Barnes insinuating that KU wouldn't have as many Big 12 titles if we played a south divison schedule? (at media day in KC) After losing to both Colorado and Nebraska, Barnes can choke on his words. I hope KSU pounds Texas tomorrow night and makes it three losses to the north.

Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk!!!

LAJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

I believe that statement was made by Scott Drew.

jaybate 3 years, 6 months ago

It is also not about getting a win in the father of all field houses, when KU is coming off no practices and a devastating tragedy.

KansasComet 3 years, 6 months ago

Every game from here on out is a big game. Let's see who shows up and who disappears? This should be an exciting Big XII tounament. It's winning time now! Go Jayhawks!

jaybate 3 years, 6 months ago

I told u so.

UT was overrated. Two losses in a row to mid pack teams, CU with no board men, does not lie.

KSU is a better team than Tayhoss. KSU just got derailed early.I

Gr8 job of believing and scrapping through adversity KU.

OU sucked. Did not see game. Did OU cheap shot?

A&M should be a loss, because of our injuries and shooting back to our avg., but this is a chance for KU to learn to win a close one on smarts alone.

Turg will play war of attrition.

100 says pass, pass, pass, because it is the answer to superior numbers and playing injured. If you have to limp, do not run. Pass!

Rock chalk!

UmbertoConforti 3 years, 6 months ago

I have been to several KU games at Lloyd Noble and that was the best refereed game I have seen there. The refs did an excellent job.

FLJHK 3 years, 6 months ago

"Did not see game."

Jaybate that is unconscionable. You are the key member of this team - you don't get "days off." With talent comes responsibility. Many would give anything to have your talent; it is not your right to just take a day off. Now give me 40 push-ups, 20 court and back windsprints, then 30 more push-ups. You need to recommit and refocus. The team needs you. Since this is a first offense I'll not suspend you, but if it happens again you'll be in street clothes for the next game, i.e. no keyboard, only pencil and paper.

Note: all fiction, no malice, but a heavy heart.

waywardJay 3 years, 6 months ago

FLJHK,

As he key member of this team, he should be responsible for his actions down the stretch. When the team needs his leadership he goes off and does other things that No doubt get him in trouble.

Two game Suspension sound about right ?

FLJHK 3 years, 6 months ago

You're on the right track wayward. I note that some of the other all-stars, e.g. Oakville, HEM, ict and KUShaw haven't posted today either. This is not the time of year to be taking days off; even though we played a weak OU team, taking teams for granted threatens our focus. We can't afford that.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 6 months ago

FLJHK.....posted yesterday, but I understand. Even after major abdomenal surgery, the first thing I did after getting home from the hospital was post.

I appreciate your fire...keep crackin' the whip. Full post to follow. :]

"FEONOO"....Family over everything, no days off!!!

jaybate 3 years, 6 months ago

Agreed. I grew breasts. Won't happen again!

benshawks08 3 years, 6 months ago

I wouldn't worry too much. I watched the game and can't really come up with much to say. More of the same really. Great Offense, mediocre defense. Should have blown out a lesser opponent but happy just to get a road win late in the season. Especially as it seems to be hard for everyone else in the country to pull it off. I don't know about you but I'm very worried about the last two but Texas has a couple of toughies left too.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 6 months ago

You didn't watch the replay (from the ESPN CBB Scoreboard) either? That amazes me. REalistically, the first half was about all that was worth watching.

I love the replay feature of ESPN, b/c there are just some times when the schedule gets squeezed by domestic and professional responsibilities.

kuproud96 3 years, 6 months ago

So who else is tired of hearing "we didn't guard"? Another second half when the team let an inferior opponent out perform them. It would be better if coach Self never talked about it, because it does nothing to demonstrate that he is capable of motivating them to play defense. It's clear this team thinks that they can outscore anyone and that's just what they want to do.

cheidorn107 3 years, 6 months ago

All can harp on perimeter D all day long but I support whatever it takes to keep the twins on the floor and out of foul trouble.

FLJHK 3 years, 6 months ago

Good post Ralster. Defense clearly is the defining component of Self- ball, and I'm happy that it is.

kuproud96 3 years, 6 months ago

Great Post,

I'm a defense first guy as well, just frustrated because they clearly go into lapses where they don't defend. I would never intend to propose that he give up the message. If i were talking straight to coach Self my intent would be for him to respond with greater intensity, because despite his consistency in delivering the "defensive" message they are not responding with the consistency that they should. It's as if, like most college age athletes they just think "i can turn on the switch when ever i want", however we saw that once rattled they couldn't. So mostly i was just ranting because as a die hard fan i've read coach Self's press conference transcripts for years and years and aside from the 08 team we have been inconsistent on defense. Admittedly basketball is the one sport i never played at an organized level, so my knowledge of X's and O's is limited. So thanks for the great insight.

TXChalker 3 years, 6 months ago

Is this the beginning of UT's downfall like last year? Down here they are all blaming it on the altitude but didn't think our loss was due to the emotional strain due to the loss of Lisa Robinson. Thanks CU and NU for ending your Big 12 run on such high notes and showing what UT isn't. Hopefully it shuts up all the "national media" that wouldn't stop talkin about tu. What is the deal with Alexi W just getting a 2 game suspension for his DUI?
Rock chalk Jayhawk!

Kevin Long 3 years, 6 months ago

Does anyone know how many games KU is behind UK for #1 on the all time wins? I know they have gained some ground but I don't know how close?

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 6 months ago

Where's a troll when you need one?

100 3 years, 6 months ago

I know it's so close Cal had to change his underwear at halftime yesterday after (as my youngest grandson says) he sharted his poopholder.

I know it's so close Cal had to have Larry Brown come coach his team for a week and almost got caught with a secondary rules violation (as Larry got in his car drove away busting into laughter).

I know it's so close Cal actually thought calling Larry Brown into practice would be a good idea, even though during the 2008 final four, Larry stayed at the KU hotel.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 6 months ago

Simple formula: Kansas 2003 + current victory total 27 = 2030 Kentucky 2022 + current victory total 20 = 2042 We've gained 7 games so far 'NC 2004 + current victroy total 21 + 2025 We've passed them for #2

LAJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Hope your surgery went well, man. Glad to see you back on here. We need your help on the glass.....

FLJHK 3 years, 6 months ago

Great recoveries - health and posting.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 6 months ago

Kentucky started the year with 2023 wins, i.e. 20 ahead of KU. We have made up 7 wins so far and are behind by 13. A deep run in March and the lead could be down to single digits, with a good chance of catching (and passing) them sometime next season.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Oakville's formula is certainly simple enough. However, in case you don't want to do all that "math" :-) the wikipedia page updates the records regularly. It hasn't been updated with yesterday's games yet, but it probably will be in a day or two.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 6 months ago

Kentucky 2042 (We've gained 7 games so far.) Kansas 2030 w/ at most 11 games remaining means we will be at least one game behind at the end of the season. UNC fading in the rearview mirror.

On a tangential note, did anyone see the Yahoo sports article about Cal winning his 500th game. Oddly, UMass and Memphis both say it is somewhat less than that .-)

jayhawkinATL 3 years, 6 months ago

Check this out:

UK folks actually have a web tracker for this. And they actually say:

"Kentucky is in no danger in losing their sport as all time wins leader, but it should be noted that Kansas has picked up four wins this season."

Absolutely hilarious!!!

JHAWKNPHX 3 years, 6 months ago

Don't forget to vote every day for Tyrel in the Lowe's Senior Class Award: http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/....

Woody Cragg 3 years, 6 months ago

How is it that Reed had 35%about 24-36 hrs ago & when I voted today had 34.9%? Are they counting these damn votes in Misery?

Justin Carlson 3 years, 6 months ago

This is a list of top 50 Men's Division I college basketball teams ranked by the number of wins through the games of February 25, 2011.

[1]

Rank College Wins Losses Winning percent 1 Kentucky 2042 646 .760 2 Kansas 2029 798 .718 3 North Carolina 2025 726 .736 4 Duke 1938 824 .702

KansasComet 3 years, 6 months ago

We still have some work to do to get to the 30 win mark. Would love for us to have 30 wins before the "Big Dance". I have always felt that Kansas is the number 1 team in the nation. I have not watched a more complete, talented or deep team than Kansas this year. We get in our own way sometimes, but so does everyone else. College Basketball is fun to watch! Teams I hope are not in our bracket, especially in the 2nd Round:

1. St. Johns
  2. UCLA

waywardJay 3 years, 6 months ago

St. Johns doesn't scare me much. They are good, and they have one kid who can shoot it from anywhere on the court, But they didn't seem to have the heigth necessary to control the glass on the bigs.

UCLA doesn't bother me either, because they already have a defacto win against us..... I'm sure they players don't think UCLA is 1 point worse than us, and I personally look at that game as a loss in our record..... I'm sure the morris twins are itching to get a second chance against those guys.

KansasComet 3 years, 6 months ago

When you say St. John's...."they are good, and they have one kid who can shoot it from anywhere on the court" that is the exact reason I do not want to play them in the 2nd Round. I started having Northern Iowa flashbacks.

As far as UCLA. I think they are a lot better than they were earlier in the season. I also do not think we have a good history against them in the Tournament.

Thanks for your reply, and I do hope the Morris Twins are ready should we play them again.

waywardJay 3 years, 6 months ago

The teams that have me worried are the teams that have the same kind of awesome interchangible parts and a higher aptitude of defense. Sure, don't have the athleticism, but teams like Wisconsin, and Purdue.... teams that play intense defense first will give us trouble.

KansasComet 3 years, 6 months ago

I am not so sure that Wisconsin and Purdue could keep with us. But they could win an ugly defensive game with us.

jayhawktalk 3 years, 6 months ago

Not sure I am too worried about Wisconsin, but they won't beat themselves, so have to come ready to play.

Purdue is good. They make me a little nervous.

There's just so much parity these days, there are a number of teams that will not be gimme games.

Vittorio1224 3 years, 6 months ago

What is Lunardi smoking? Having Texas as a #1 seed with FIVE losses and two bad road defeats to perennial losers Nebraska and Colorado?! Ridiculous... No way Jo(e)se!

RockCaCO3 3 years, 6 months ago

That was as of 2/25. Lunardi's job is so hard, he apparently gets the weekends off.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 6 months ago

I love the line in the article about Angel Morris tending to EJ. She is the Mother Of All Jayhawks! (obviously meant as a compliment!)

Big Momma's House is in Lawrence, Kansas!

waywardJay 3 years, 6 months ago

NO kidding.... I was wondering who's mom that was taking care of ELijah... Sure enough, It was the morri's mom.....Despite some of the other posters knocking the Morri's roots/style of play, the Morri's ( mom Included ) are truly classy people. This is one of our greatest weapons heading into the tourney. We truly are family. Not a player on this team appears to be in it for themselves ( if there is Selby is him, and he looks like even he has checked his ego at the door ). This team and family dynamic starts with the Morri's.

Remember when they came packing air soft rifles and poor workout regiments ?

jaybate 3 years, 6 months ago

Frats used to have house mothers. Maybe when the Twins graduate Self will hire her as an assistant--the designated mother. It actually makes some sense.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Yep, and she gave him a kiss as he walked back to the bench. The Team Mother.

jayhawktalk 3 years, 6 months ago

Has there been an article on Angel Morris? Talk about an unsung hero. Not only did she bring two of the best college players in the nation into the world, but this lady is freaking fantastic!

Not sure if she's married... If not, can you imagine the job interview, sitting across the table from Mook and 'Kief? Any potential suitor would have to be fearless! ...I wonder if he would have to get matching tat's with the Morri as a token of sincerity.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 6 months ago

Article posted when TRob came back from DC.

Steve Brown 3 years, 6 months ago

Not sure NCAA rules, can we hire Angel as team house mom, even after twins depart, the world has changed with bad influences, girls, agents decisions for trouble abounds, the kids need a strong accountability on and off the court. Tough love, heck send her out to recruit.

jaybate 3 years, 6 months ago

UCLA beat aridzona to take over first in the Colorado Ten.

They will both be in the Madness.

Every year we hear KU's schedule is weak.

Every year by late in the season the schedule was strong.

Vittorio1224 3 years, 6 months ago

@ RockCaCO3 -- As a former Chemistry major @ KU, I love your moniker. No excuses for Lunardi, though. He's good at what he does, and yes, TU has beaten some quality opponents, but they also have some BAD LOSSES: USC, CU, NU.... at least we lost to TEXAS after a night of no sleep and being emotionally spent before we even walked out on the AF court, and to a wounded animal in K-STATE @ AF West when they HAD to win and were desperate. Let's see what happens in the BIG 12 tourney. It should be ROCKIN' fo' sho' !!

zsn 3 years, 6 months ago

What years were you guys chem majors? I MAY have been your TA, given the right time frame.....As you all know, RCJH was coined by a chemistry prof!!

KansasComet 3 years, 6 months ago

A good thing KU has going this year is that we have not lost a close game. Undefeated in games decided by 10 points or less. I guess if we get close enough to you, we will beat you!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 6 months ago

Gameday Observations:

1] Lloyd Noble Center is one of the ugliest arena's I have ever seen...it's "Octagon Ugly" 2] Kansas better hire Angel Morris as the team LIfe Coach. 3] Serious lack of background cleavage ruined the broadcast. 4] Nice job by ESPN not to putting the running score in the corner of the picture until right before switchover, 8 minute into the game? 5] Has anyone at ESPN ever heard of split screen simulcast????? 6] Cade Davis 's degree is a Bachelor of Bar Bouncering. 7] There were so few people there that if OU had pulled the upset, the PA announcer would have had to ask the Kansas fans to help rush the court!!! [LOL- I liked that one] 8] First two rounds of the NCAA will be just up the road in Okie City...KU Nation, ARISE!!!!!!!! 9] Capel is about as good as coach as that Missouri hair guy. 10] Nothing beats surgical recovery better than watching Kansas kick someone's ass!!!!!

jhawkrulz 3 years, 6 months ago

Last year it was in OKC, this year it will be in Tulsa...

Dirk Medema 3 years, 6 months ago

I think #3 was a reference to a brunette with a red Jayhawk shirt sitting behind Bobby last week.

Kye Clark 3 years, 6 months ago

Oakville's observation #9 points out something that I've thought for quite awhile, and that is that the Big 12 has lousy coaches. Consider the coaches in this league (and rank them yourself if you can):

2 - Rick Barnes. I think he has some flaws in his style, but he has to rank right behind Bill Self (although the chasm between Self and Barnes is huge). He consistently recruits good players and is the only team to ever challenge us for league supremacy. He also has the right personality to try and build a perennial contender at a school where basketball is a distant second to football. A couple of elite 8 appearances and a Final Four.

3 - Scott Drew. Slimy as they come, but despite how much we may despise his methods he has gotten some good players to come threw Waco, which can't be easy. Should have a win over Duke in the tournament and a Final Four on his resume had the refs not robbed him of it.

4 - Mark Turgeon. A good game coach, but hasn't been able to reload the talent necessary to compete at the highest levels of this league. He may be maxed out regarding his coaching potential, destined to field a upper-middle of the pack team.

5 - Mike Anderson. As likable a coach as there is likely ever to be in Misery. He's a decent recruiter, but honestly that style of play caps both his teams' ceiling as well as the quality of player he is likely to get.

6 - Jeff Capel. Has brought in good talent and has an elite 8 appearance on his resume. However he is trending downwards, failing to keep the talent he recruited long enough to build anything, NCAA allegations, and a likely second consecutive losing season.

7 - Travis Ford. For KU fans' sakes we should all wish success on Ford, lest we have T Boone Pickens and his deep pockets sleazing around Lawrence trying to lure Self to come coach his alma mater. Somewhat of an incomplete grade. Let's see what he can do with LeBryan Nash next year.

8 - Pat Knight. Likely has one foot out the door. Inherited the team from his dad and has been underwhelming both as a recruiter and a coach. A likable guy, but that doesn't buy you much.

9 - Fred Hoiberg. Incomplete. Took over a team short on talent. Might very well be in over his head, having no head coaching experience. Went for the quick fix taking on as many transfers as he could. We'll see how that strategy plays out.

I left off Sadler and Boyle, as they are leaving the conference next year. But if you were to stack the coaches of the Big 12 up against most of the other power conferences, I think the Big 12 fails to measure up.

Kye Clark 3 years, 6 months ago

Oops, forgot Frank Martin! Hard to say with him. I think he's a good Xs & Os coach, but his style may cause plenty of talented kids to tune him out. His team also crumbled with the bulls-eye on their backs this year, only playing at a high level after digging themselves such a huge hole. Also who is his best player that he recruited? That committed to him, and not Huggins? Wally Judge? This Enriquez-Roberts kid looks promising, but the jury is still out on him. Right now I'd tentatively rank him 4th behind Drew, and slide everyone else down a spot.

Kye Clark 3 years, 6 months ago

Ralster - obviously I have Self at #1. My synopsis of him would go something like this:

His credentials speak for itself. As the only active coach in the league to win a National Championship he brings respect to the Big 12 that otherwise might be viewed in the same light as say...conference USA (coaching wise). Has prevented the program from ever falling off in the way that other programs like Kentucky, UNC, and UCLA have following years of success. The guy can flat out reload. A few qualms about the way he manages his roster of talent and his in-game coaching style when things begin to fall apart, but this is nothing more than nit-picking from a spoiled KU fan really . He is one of the upper-echelon coaches in America.

Anyway, I agree I pull for Tad Boyle. Again, I just felt that with him heading to the Pac-12 next year ranking him would be moot. I'm anxious to see how he does out there and how well he can recruit within a major conference. Iowa State has a ton of transfers coming in, but I don't know much about any of them honestly. Nor do I know how well Hoiberg can really coach, so we'll see. As for Turgeon, he has to be able to add more pieces. He rode Gillispie's recruits for his first few years. Middleton is solid, but for them to compete at the top of the league he needs to surround him with more talent.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 6 months ago

ict .. good stuff. I would have Anderson higher. I think he's an excellent coach, and watch out if they get some better guys. He's not a pure 40 minutes of hell guy. Against KU in the first game, he barely pressed. I think if his talent improves, his press will obviously improve, but he'll use it a bit more stategically.

And not to look too far into the future, but if Coach Self leaves, could Mr. Boyle be our next head coach? I've been pretty impressed with the guy.

John Randall 3 years, 6 months ago

Hard to believe this discussion!

There is not a weak coach anywhere in the Big XII. Every one puts a quality team on the floor week in, year out.

KU can be selective in their recruiting and the last mistakes were back in the Roy days. Under Bill Self, more than talent and AAU rankings go into those selections.

Just like Bill considers the whole package of a prospective Jayhawk, our AD (before big Lew) who replaced Roy had his choice of the crop and looked at the whole package.

I even wonder, to this day, if Al Bohl decided to needle Roy into going home; having decided KU could do better with a different philosophy, and what do you know, that has come to pass. Already, we have passed UNC and are within another year of regaining the head start we had on UKy when Rupp took over there. National Championships hinge on a lot besides being the best team –– Playing for it every year – every year – means we'll get our share in the long run.

Cameron Indoor may have more pompous students and fans, but no one is as spoiled as the AFH faithful.

Kye Clark 3 years, 6 months ago

HEM - I could maybe concede putting Anderson above Turgeon, but I wouldn't go any higher. Couldn't see putting him above Self or Barnes, given their success. Granted Anderson is hamstrung by coaching at a dump of a basketball school, but then again so is Drew. I'm also hesitant to put Anderson any higher given the fact that his team is so horrendous on the road. Obviously almost every team plays better at home, but failing to get more out of his players away from Columbia has to fall on the coach. They're marquee road win is a 6 point victory at Iowa St?

As for Boyle, hopefully it's a long ways down the line. I still need to see him recruit a competitive team in a BCS conference before thinking he could be ready. It does bring up an interesting subject, both who would we like to see as our future head coach down the line, and also if Self were to leave now who would we want to bring in? Down the line I'd like to see Danny as the head coach. Unfortunately that would mean him leaving at some point to cut his teeth in the coaching ranks at some other school(s). And if Self were to leave now, I would target Sean Miller at Arizona.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 6 months ago

I've been saying all along that Texas has really hit certain times good in its schedule. It clearly hit KU at a time KU was at a low point. Additionally, aTm is the only team that it has beat on the road that was of any quality (besides us of course). That being said, aTm is the rivalry in Texas and goes back to the SWAC days. Anyways, after that they played Missouri at home, and the south is lackluster this year for sure (TT, OU, OSU).

I have said and posted on a number of instances that @CU, @NU, @Baylor, and home against KSU they would lose two of those games. I was right, but I actually think they could lose 1, and I wouldn't be surprised if they lost both of them. Additionally, with the Big XII tourney being at the Sprint Center don't be surprised if they get beat in their first game, they just aren't a road team. They only play six deep, so that second day will be hard if they make it...on the third day (if they make it to face KU), I don't think they will have the legs to keep playing...see CU game in High Altitude.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 6 months ago

Senior Night, this Wednesday, where has the season gone?

Brady, Tyrel and Mario will get AFH fired up unlike the last few Senior Nights.

Next year's Senior Night could be very special or very depressing depending on Angel's plans for her sons. If they stay, it'll mean we are blessed once again. If they go, it'll leave Tyshawn as our only senior,

Is Conner Teahan not a senior this year? Does his red-dhirt status postpone his senior night until next year?

KansasComet 3 years, 6 months ago

Teahan will be back next year.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 6 months ago

"Every team wants to be on top. This will motivate us.”

That sounds eerily reminiscent of the comments on 2/12 & 13. With Duke, UT, SDSU & Pitt all losing, KU & tOSU are the only remaining candidates for #1.

Hopefully, Coach Self can proactively remind the team during a couple practices what the goal is, and that we get there one game at a time. It should also help for it to be senior night, tho we'll need to spoil one this weekend as well. First things first though.

Vittorio1224 3 years, 6 months ago

@ Ralster ~ Which professors do you have this semester? Can't believe you didn't catch the limestone -- Calcium Carbonate reference :) Hence the Rock Chalk moniker lol

manunitedjayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Elijah Johnson should be this teams' starting PG for the rest of the season. I had my doubts but I strongly believe that his lack or production early in the season was solely based on lack of confidence. I think that he has a "starters" mentality and that starting (although Coach Self downplays it) is huge for a kid like Elijah. He has looked very solid defensively and I think his on ball defense sets the tone on how we play on the defensive end of the floor. I don't know if you will find a more athletic PG in the nation than EJ. This team will never be as good on D as the 2008 team so lets please stop comparing. That team in 2008 might be the best defensive team in the past decade other than maybe the 2001 Duke team with Williams, Boozer, Battier, Duhon, Dunleavy, and Brand. I think this teams' defense will improve going into the Big 12 tournament, although it is only in a week I think the "pressure" of the post-season might actually fuel this teams' desire to perform defensively. The OU game was a bad showing on D but the officials destroyed the tempo of the game in the 2nd half. I never blame officials for losing but I will blame them for ruining the flow of a game.