Friday, February 25, 2011

Thomas Robinson touched by flourishing support

Kansas forwards Thomas Robinson (0), Markieff Morris (21) and the Kansas bench celebrate a blocked dunk by teammate Marcus Morris against Oklahoma State during the first half on Monday, Feb. 21, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Videos

Bill Self weekly press conference, Feb. 24, 2011

video thumbnail

Kansas head coach Bill Self addressed the media at his weekly press conference Thursday, Feb. 24, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Donations

To contribute to the Lisa Robinson Scholarship Fund, send donations to c/o SNR Denton, 1301 K Street NW, Suite 600, East Tower, Washington, DC 20005-3364.

No matter how busy he is on a given day, Kansas University sophomore power forward Thomas Robinson makes time for the most special person in his life — his 7-year-old sister, Jayla Paris.

“I talk to her every day,” Robinson said Thursday. “She is my biggest fan right now.”

Happy and healthy, Jayla has been living with her dad in Washington, D.C., since the death of Lisa Robinson, Jayla and Thomas’ mom, on Jan. 21.

“I’ll get to see her when the season is over,” D.C. native Thomas Robinson said, breaking into a wide smile before relating a cute story about a recent cell-phone call to his sis.

“She told me she had a Valentine. I don’t know if I like that,” ever-protective big brother Thomas said.

Who’s his Valentine?

“I don’t have one,” he said.

He does have plenty of friends who have supported him the past several weeks.

Robinson’s mailbox at the KU basketball office overflows with letters and postcards every day.

He’s also received posters from schools and businesses — full of personal messages from fans designed to boost Thomas’ spirits.

Perhaps most importantly, fans of KU and other schools have been generous in supporting the Lisa Robinson Scholarship Fund — one that will pay for Jayla’s education.

No figures are yet available, but sources close to the situation have told the Journal-World the fund — which has the NCAA’s blessing — is off to a great start.

“It makes me feel great. The people care so much for me and my family. It’s beyond words,” Robinson said.

The 6-foot-9, 237-pounder is happy to report he’s doing well both mentally and physically.

Recent surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee had him out just 10 days total. He missed three games in that span, returning to score six points and grab six boards while playing 10 minutes Monday against Oklahoma State.

“It’s ‘Cheddar,’ all ‘Cheddar’,” Robinson said, crediting trainer Bill “Cheddar” Cowgill. “He got me back quick with rehab every day. What he told me to do ... it worked. I didn’t want to sit out too long. That probably had a lot to do with it, too.”

KU coach Bill Self has been thrilled at Robinson’s quick recovery.

“He’s doing great. He’s an amazing guy,” Self said. “Mentally he’s close to 100 percent believing he’s healthy. Knee-wise, he’s 90 percent. There’s another week he can go through some things where he’ll feel he has the same explosion as before.”

Self has referred to Robinson as “a stud” and “the best kid” — all sorts of superlatives — since mom’s death.

“I always want him (Self) to feel that way about me. It’s a good thing,” said Robinson, who has also emerged as a media favorite with some quick, colorful one-liners of late.

“You cannot break me, man,” he said, practicing just eight days after surgery.

“Most of them are music quotes,” Robinson explained. “I record them and remember them.”

Asked for another favorite saying, he responded: “Minor setback for a major comeback.”

Finally, the Morris twins’ adopted team motto, “Family Over Everything.”

“We’re family here, just like brothers,” Robinson said.

Robinson, at 3 p.m. Saturday in Norman, Okla., will play against somebody who is almost as close as a blood brother — Oklahoma’s Andrew Fitzgerald, who was a teammate of Robinson’s at Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H.

“He’s one of my closest friends,” Robinson said of the 6-8 sophomore from Baltimore who averages a team-leading 13.3 points for OU (12-15 overall, 4-9 Big 12).

“He’s on a young team that’s hanging in there, still trying to get used to each other as a team. I tell him to keep playing hard and things will fall into place.”

Fitzgerald, who speaks to Robinson regularly, is just as supportive of his buddy.

“I try to be really positive with him,” Fitzgerald said Thursday. “He is a great kid. I told my mother (about Thomas’ mom), and she was heartbroken. My mother actually will be at the game Saturday. I’m going to try to make sure she says hi to Thomas.”

The two players form a mutual-admiration society.

“He’s so athletic and versatile. In high school, I saw him dunk on 7-footers,” Fitzgerald said. “He’s always adding things to his game.”

“He’s a very good mid-range shooter, one of the best at it,” Robinson added of Fitzgerald. “He has a great work ethic. Of course I’d like to get bragging rights, but it’s not a personal thing.”

Noted Fitzgerald: “It’s not personal at all. We’ll both play as hard as we can in the game.”

Comments

JJHawq 3 years, 9 months ago

F.O.E. is on their tweets all the time. The other thing the twins always say - "no days off"

I love the personality of this team. Great stuff.

Trey Hohman 3 years, 9 months ago

This T-Rob photo is similar to Davinci's drawing of vitruvian man, except with appx. 80 more lbs. of muscle.

RockCaCO3 3 years, 9 months ago

“Minor setback for a major comeback.”

I like it.

FairgroveJayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

There's no other player I wish the greatest health and success.

3 years, 9 months ago

I love the pic above too. One more masterpiece by Nick Krug.

TRob reminds me of another great person the KU family rallied around a few years ago, DBlock.

RockChalkGuy 3 years, 9 months ago

I was thinking the same thing about Nick. Both the EJ article and this one have great pictures paired up with them. Kudos to him. Too often the photographers who produce these incredible images are left unmentioned.

mikehawk 3 years, 9 months ago

The 2010-11 edition of the KU basketball team is a bonafide reality show. And I say that with the deepest of affection. For those of us out here with a more mundane existense, we will find a big hole in our lives some time in March. Hopefully, very late in March. Wow! What a cast of characters, unfortunate circumstances, and self inflicted events. Entertainment of the first order. I'll be in Norman tomorrow to witness the next edition of The Show. FOE!

oldalum 3 years, 9 months ago

The "Kansas media sources" referenced in this article are probably speculations read on this board.

RockCaCO3 3 years, 9 months ago

Ok, if he was playing some "1 on 1" in AFH, then I'm not as dissapointed in him. As a matter of fact, I might even have a little admiration for the guy.

Seriously though, if that is the case, then its way better than some of the alternatives (drugs, fights, etc).

manunitedjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

“You cannot break me, man,” he said, practicing just eight days after surgery.

Sounds so cliche, but Thomas totally walks the walk. His play also does most of the talking as well. He has a motor like Shady Arhtur and the toughness of Darnell Jackson, I love how he pursues the basketball. With him and Mario Little coming off the bench we might have the two of the best rebounders in the Big 12, and they do not even start. Most of all I love the kid's smile, he continues to smile even with all he has gone through. Watching him and Darnell smile with all they went through gives me chills, all the pain but the young man just won't give up. The best part of all this is that he loves his teammates and they obviously love him.

benshawks08 3 years, 9 months ago

I would say his motor is way better than Shady's. Especially early on, Arthur had a tendency to seem lackadaisical even if he wasn't. Part of that came from how smooth he was but I don't think anyone has ever watched a second of Trob and thought "meh, he's not really trying."

100 3 years, 9 months ago

12 steps:

Question re Bramalage:

I'm losing my memory. Have you beaten us in your arena 25 times since opening the aluminum sardine can 27 years ago? Or is it the other way around?

manunitedjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

12steps need to enroll in the 12 step program of not knowing squat about basketball. Elbow throwing and "thug play?" You seem to be the soft one my friend, it is D1 basketball cry me a river. Go watch some film of th Detroit Pistons during the "bad boy" era maybe it will elighten you about sports in general.

Adam Evans 3 years, 9 months ago

You are still on here trolling 12? The KSU boards must be pretty quiet since there really isn't a lot to talk about over there. Go back to the KSU boards and discuss what's most important to the mildcat fans...Pullens Beard.

manunitedjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Pullen's beard is the best thing to come out of K-State basketball since Mitch Ritchmond.

kesmithstl1 3 years, 9 months ago

K-State just made a DVD of your comments!

Dan Harris 3 years, 9 months ago

12stepsandtripovermowntail- Have fun in the NIT!

tdub 3 years, 8 months ago

Yes, another tear jerker about a 20 year old kid who recently lost his mother. Are you really gonna rag on this article??? If so you're more than a troll, you're just a terrible person.

Joe Satterwhite 3 years, 9 months ago

we will win the national championship, you heard it hear 1st.

Scott Smetana 3 years, 9 months ago

This team has the skills and closeness to be awesome in the tourney, but we will need some great individual performances. I think our PG 'situation' is hopefully fixed. I watched the '08 season highlight video last night (Must have if you haven't bought one yet). Wow did people step up come Big 12 and national tourney time. I forgot how Brandon went off at the Sprint Arena.

Danny Hernandez 3 years, 9 months ago

This team is mentally tough....With T-Rob almost back, EJ getting his confidence and play tighten-up, a renewed TT and Josh healthy, this team has a solid 10 player rotation where there isn't much of a drop off in production if there is at all....Hell, our second five of EJ, T-Rob, Little, Josh, Releford are pretty amazing and they come off the bench... I see final four for this team this year

Dan Harris 3 years, 9 months ago

How many Big 12 titles you have again? How about National Championships? And no, cowtipping and sheep herding don't count.

murph 3 years, 8 months ago

We don't want to hear about snipe hunting, either.

100 3 years, 9 months ago

12steps:

What "step" program is Curtis Kelly using right now?

brooksmd 3 years, 9 months ago

Be kind to "12step". Must be tough when the only highlight of your basketball season is if you beat KU and then hoping your mommy and daddy buy you the dvd for Christmas.

Adam Evans 3 years, 9 months ago

12 steps to KSU basketball improvement

1. Start paying players so they don't leave
  2. Change the school mascot to a ball of hair collected after each time Pullen shaves
  3. Remodel the arena to have 10 sides and name it the "decagon of doom"
  4. Get Martin on prescriptions of Xanex and any blood pressure medication
  5. Forget #3 and just build a new arena and hope for a better yearly showing there against KU
  6. Have everyone on the team take on Pullen's attitude of "NCAAs or bust!" because you guys are so much more deserving in name only than an NIT bid
  7. If #6 fails, start your own tournament instead if accepting an NIT bid
  8. Invest in a new weight room, or, since your bigs can't guard, convince the NCAAs to increase the foul limit, for your team only, to 8
  9. Petition the PAC-10 to take your school in since you obviously can't handle the Big-12
  10. If #9 fails, go independent
  11. Have Pullen's beard start playing on it's own offset of Pullen in the backcourt
  12. Have every KSU fan spend at least one game in AFH to learn how true fans, of truly good teams, act. (never rush the court, ever; no pictures of beards in the crowd, and we win all but 1 out of 70 instead of twice in 25 years)

tdub 3 years, 9 months ago

A lesson in trollery 12 steps:

Most trolls here are at least subtle about their intentions. You sir, on the other hand, just spout off at the mouth. If you're going to spend your obviously precious time at the website of a rival sports team, then at least be clever about it! We must be entertained!

Scott Smetana 3 years, 9 months ago

How about 5 National Championships and the best program on the planet? Who u rooting for?

100 3 years, 9 months ago

12steps: Do you as a big 12 basketball fan really want to talk about our losses to UNI & Bucknell? We would be happy to discuss. To me the bigger question is.... Why as a KSU fan are you here? And how in the world is Curtis Kelly still eligible? By the way you guys played a great game a few days ago against us. Congratulations. Probably saved your coach's job.... Which makes me wonder again... How is Curtis Kelly still eligible?.... Oh that's right.... I guess I just figured it out for myself. Because if he was suspended for even a game, he couldn't have played against Kansas. And you would have been left with one big man inside. Oh... And Frank Martin would have lost his job.... Because you would have had a 1-26 record against the Jayhawks in your own arena the last 27 years... OK... Now I see why Frank was so mad at his press conference.... Sorry to have wasted your time, I guess finally we understand what happened with Curtis Kelly's surprise hearing "that Frank wasn't at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Adam Evans 3 years, 9 months ago

Just out of curiosity 12steps, answer me a few things. How many titles does KSU have? How many final fours does KSU have? How many tournament victories does KSU have? How many big 12/8/6 titles does KSU have? How many total wins does KSU have? How many 25 win seasons does KSU have? I could go on but I won't. One more thing though...I think you meant mighty not might. That gives you away that you studied at KSU if anywhere.

steamboat 3 years, 9 months ago

K-stater's are selling dvd's and pieces of the net from the KU win. How FRICKIN' pathetic!!! This definitely shows they aren't used to the big stage but why would they be? They have an idiot coach with ADD, thug players and fair-weather fans. The troll on this site must be "grasping" for success. KS bb really showed what they can do when the bullseye is on there back. Rock Chalk

741hawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Votin' everyday you remind me with a link. thanks.

fansincewilt 3 years, 9 months ago

Family Over Everything - Wow! This team is getting something real going in these last few weeks. This is not something that anyone can coach. It is something special that is happening. The KState thing seems to have also inspired these guys. This is really sounding good.

steamboat 3 years, 9 months ago

or failing a piss test for the 3rd time? No wait Kelly did that..my bad FYI..... 12 steps... K-suck is playin' with an illegal player. By school rules failing a p test 3 times is automatic dismissal. Martin kept him on the team to save his job and to save Pullen from the NIT.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 9 months ago

Depending on what happens after this season and, especially if the twins leave early, T-Rob could be the dominant focus, the beating heart and the firey soul of the 2011-2012 squad.

Teams tend to follow their leaders in attitude and toughness. We may need every ounce of it next season. The again, we could be monsters next season.

Best case scenario: Front Court - The Morrii, T-Rob, The Big "W" Swing - Travis, Double D Back Court - The Prophet, Josh, TT, Nadiir, Ben-Mac, Royce [red shirt?]

KGphoto 3 years, 9 months ago

What exactly IS the deal with Ben? He freakin' got kicked out of school?!?

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 8 months ago

I will be there on Saturday in Norman, rooting my Hawks on to victory!!!!

Love to start the chant early before the game ends.

12 steps---that's okay----shoot your mouth off. I always been taught that what comes around, goes around. See you at the Sprint Center, and btw, you better pray and hope to God that there isn't another rematch between the Hawks and Wild Kitties. Could get ugly, bubba!

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 8 months ago

12steps -

Welcome to the KUSports.com family. Your passion and wonderful sense of sportsmanship are so much what this site is all about.We only wish we knew more about you. Please give us some background information. Feel free to include your sponsors name, etc. so we may let him/her know that you may be in trouble again. We try not to judge here, just want to make sure all of our fellow posters have access to the support that they need. Denial is just part of the program. We understand. You'll look back later and thank us. I believe you are just reaching out for help and came to the right place where even trolls can seek shelter.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 8 months ago

Geez, I was just trying to help! I wonder what he could have said?

Tony Bandle 3 years, 8 months ago

My guess would be one of George Carlin's "No-No" words. I recently got beeped for posting the word a--h--e [in code so I don't get beeped again!!]

Coincidently, I think it was a response regarding 12steps.