Friday, February 25, 2011

Thomas Robinson touched by flourishing support

Kansas forwards Thomas Robinson (0), Markieff Morris (21) and the Kansas bench celebrate a blocked dunk by teammate Marcus Morris against Oklahoma State during the first half on Monday, Feb. 21, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Videos

Bill Self weekly press conference, Feb. 24, 2011

video thumbnail

Kansas head coach Bill Self addressed the media at his weekly press conference Thursday, Feb. 24, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Donations

To contribute to the Lisa Robinson Scholarship Fund, send donations to c/o SNR Denton, 1301 K Street NW, Suite 600, East Tower, Washington, DC 20005-3364.

No matter how busy he is on a given day, Kansas University sophomore power forward Thomas Robinson makes time for the most special person in his life — his 7-year-old sister, Jayla Paris.

“I talk to her every day,” Robinson said Thursday. “She is my biggest fan right now.”

Happy and healthy, Jayla has been living with her dad in Washington, D.C., since the death of Lisa Robinson, Jayla and Thomas’ mom, on Jan. 21.

“I’ll get to see her when the season is over,” D.C. native Thomas Robinson said, breaking into a wide smile before relating a cute story about a recent cell-phone call to his sis.

“She told me she had a Valentine. I don’t know if I like that,” ever-protective big brother Thomas said.

Who’s his Valentine?

“I don’t have one,” he said.

He does have plenty of friends who have supported him the past several weeks.

Robinson’s mailbox at the KU basketball office overflows with letters and postcards every day.

He’s also received posters from schools and businesses — full of personal messages from fans designed to boost Thomas’ spirits.

Perhaps most importantly, fans of KU and other schools have been generous in supporting the Lisa Robinson Scholarship Fund — one that will pay for Jayla’s education.

No figures are yet available, but sources close to the situation have told the Journal-World the fund — which has the NCAA’s blessing — is off to a great start.

“It makes me feel great. The people care so much for me and my family. It’s beyond words,” Robinson said.

The 6-foot-9, 237-pounder is happy to report he’s doing well both mentally and physically.

Recent surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee had him out just 10 days total. He missed three games in that span, returning to score six points and grab six boards while playing 10 minutes Monday against Oklahoma State.

“It’s ‘Cheddar,’ all ‘Cheddar’,” Robinson said, crediting trainer Bill “Cheddar” Cowgill. “He got me back quick with rehab every day. What he told me to do ... it worked. I didn’t want to sit out too long. That probably had a lot to do with it, too.”

KU coach Bill Self has been thrilled at Robinson’s quick recovery.

“He’s doing great. He’s an amazing guy,” Self said. “Mentally he’s close to 100 percent believing he’s healthy. Knee-wise, he’s 90 percent. There’s another week he can go through some things where he’ll feel he has the same explosion as before.”

Self has referred to Robinson as “a stud” and “the best kid” — all sorts of superlatives — since mom’s death.

“I always want him (Self) to feel that way about me. It’s a good thing,” said Robinson, who has also emerged as a media favorite with some quick, colorful one-liners of late.

“You cannot break me, man,” he said, practicing just eight days after surgery.

“Most of them are music quotes,” Robinson explained. “I record them and remember them.”

Asked for another favorite saying, he responded: “Minor setback for a major comeback.”

Finally, the Morris twins’ adopted team motto, “Family Over Everything.”

“We’re family here, just like brothers,” Robinson said.

Robinson, at 3 p.m. Saturday in Norman, Okla., will play against somebody who is almost as close as a blood brother — Oklahoma’s Andrew Fitzgerald, who was a teammate of Robinson’s at Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H.

“He’s one of my closest friends,” Robinson said of the 6-8 sophomore from Baltimore who averages a team-leading 13.3 points for OU (12-15 overall, 4-9 Big 12).

“He’s on a young team that’s hanging in there, still trying to get used to each other as a team. I tell him to keep playing hard and things will fall into place.”

Fitzgerald, who speaks to Robinson regularly, is just as supportive of his buddy.

“I try to be really positive with him,” Fitzgerald said Thursday. “He is a great kid. I told my mother (about Thomas’ mom), and she was heartbroken. My mother actually will be at the game Saturday. I’m going to try to make sure she says hi to Thomas.”

The two players form a mutual-admiration society.

“He’s so athletic and versatile. In high school, I saw him dunk on 7-footers,” Fitzgerald said. “He’s always adding things to his game.”

“He’s a very good mid-range shooter, one of the best at it,” Robinson added of Fitzgerald. “He has a great work ethic. Of course I’d like to get bragging rights, but it’s not a personal thing.”

Noted Fitzgerald: “It’s not personal at all. We’ll both play as hard as we can in the game.”

Comments

Tony Bandle 3 years, 1 month ago

My guess would be one of George Carlin's "No-No" words. I recently got beeped for posting the word a--h--e [in code so I don't get beeped again!!]

Coincidently, I think it was a response regarding 12steps.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 1 month ago

Geez, I was just trying to help! I wonder what he could have said?

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 1 month ago

12steps -

Welcome to the KUSports.com family. Your passion and wonderful sense of sportsmanship are so much what this site is all about.We only wish we knew more about you. Please give us some background information. Feel free to include your sponsors name, etc. so we may let him/her know that you may be in trouble again. We try not to judge here, just want to make sure all of our fellow posters have access to the support that they need. Denial is just part of the program. We understand. You'll look back later and thank us. I believe you are just reaching out for help and came to the right place where even trolls can seek shelter.

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Watch what happens if we play KSU or TX again in the conf. tourney...Im not worried. And Im sure WildBill and his Boyz are itching a another chance at either. Cant tell me they arent.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 1 month ago

I will be there on Saturday in Norman, rooting my Hawks on to victory!!!!

Love to start the chant early before the game ends.

12 steps---that's okay----shoot your mouth off. I always been taught that what comes around, goes around. See you at the Sprint Center, and btw, you better pray and hope to God that there isn't another rematch between the Hawks and Wild Kitties. Could get ugly, bubba!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 1 month ago

Depending on what happens after this season and, especially if the twins leave early, T-Rob could be the dominant focus, the beating heart and the firey soul of the 2011-2012 squad.

Teams tend to follow their leaders in attitude and toughness. We may need every ounce of it next season. The again, we could be monsters next season.

Best case scenario: Front Court - The Morrii, T-Rob, The Big "W" Swing - Travis, Double D Back Court - The Prophet, Josh, TT, Nadiir, Ben-Mac, Royce [red shirt?]

fansincewilt 3 years, 1 month ago

Family Over Everything - Wow! This team is getting something real going in these last few weeks. This is not something that anyone can coach. It is something special that is happening. The KState thing seems to have also inspired these guys. This is really sounding good.

741hawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Votin' everyday you remind me with a link. thanks.

Danny Hernandez 3 years, 1 month ago

This team is mentally tough....With T-Rob almost back, EJ getting his confidence and play tighten-up, a renewed TT and Josh healthy, this team has a solid 10 player rotation where there isn't much of a drop off in production if there is at all....Hell, our second five of EJ, T-Rob, Little, Josh, Releford are pretty amazing and they come off the bench... I see final four for this team this year

Scott Smetana 3 years, 1 month ago

This team has the skills and closeness to be awesome in the tourney, but we will need some great individual performances. I think our PG 'situation' is hopefully fixed. I watched the '08 season highlight video last night (Must have if you haven't bought one yet). Wow did people step up come Big 12 and national tourney time. I forgot how Brandon went off at the Sprint Arena.

Joe Satterwhite 3 years, 1 month ago

we will win the national championship, you heard it hear 1st.

12steps 3 years, 1 month ago

Another Bedore tear jerker. How about renaming this site "AS THE ku WORLD TURNS", or "DAYS OF OUR ku LIFE" ?

No wonder the teams are soooooooo soft year in and year out.

whoisjohngalt 3 years, 1 month ago

Another quality non-Keegan article; I'm beginning to sense a pattern here...

manunitedjayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

“You cannot break me, man,” he said, practicing just eight days after surgery.

Sounds so cliche, but Thomas totally walks the walk. His play also does most of the talking as well. He has a motor like Shady Arhtur and the toughness of Darnell Jackson, I love how he pursues the basketball. With him and Mario Little coming off the bench we might have the two of the best rebounders in the Big 12, and they do not even start. Most of all I love the kid's smile, he continues to smile even with all he has gone through. Watching him and Darnell smile with all they went through gives me chills, all the pain but the young man just won't give up. The best part of all this is that he loves his teammates and they obviously love him.

mikehawk 3 years, 1 month ago

The 2010-11 edition of the KU basketball team is a bonafide reality show. And I say that with the deepest of affection. For those of us out here with a more mundane existense, we will find a big hole in our lives some time in March. Hopefully, very late in March. Wow! What a cast of characters, unfortunate circumstances, and self inflicted events. Entertainment of the first order. I'll be in Norman tomorrow to witness the next edition of The Show. FOE!

3 years, 1 month ago

I love the pic above too. One more masterpiece by Nick Krug.

TRob reminds me of another great person the KU family rallied around a few years ago, DBlock.

FairgroveJayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

There's no other player I wish the greatest health and success.

RockCaCO3 3 years, 1 month ago

“Minor setback for a major comeback.”

I like it.

lhohman3 3 years, 1 month ago

This T-Rob photo is similar to Davinci's drawing of vitruvian man, except with appx. 80 more lbs. of muscle.

JJHawq 3 years, 1 month ago

F.O.E. is on their tweets all the time. The other thing the twins always say - "no days off"

I love the personality of this team. Great stuff.

kureader 3 years, 1 month ago

Very nice article. Thanks, Gary.