Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Naismith’s original basketball rules to be displayed in Kansas City’s Nelson-Atkins Museum from March 5 to May 29

Exhibit will be free and open to public

Dr. James Naismith’s original rules of basketball, which were recently purchased by Kansas University graduates David and Suzanne Deal Booth for more than $4 million, will be on display in Kirkwood Hall from March 5 through May 29 at The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City, Mo.

“My family is very proud to bring this important treasure to the Nelson-Atkins, where the rules will be enjoyed by sports fans and museum-goers alike,” David Booth said.

The exhibition will be free and open to the public. Free timed tickets to the exhibition will be available through the Museum’s website, nelson-atkins.org, at the info desk in the Bloch Building, or by calling (816) 751-1278.

“The Booths understand the pride, the intensity and the traditions that people in the Midwest hold for their teams, and we are extremely grateful for their generosity in sharing this historic document with our visitors,” said Julián Zugazagoitia, who became Menefee D. and Mary Louise Blackwell Director & CEO of the Museum Sept. 1. “The Nelson-Atkins is attuned to this part of our cultural fabric, and we all look forward to celebrating James Naismith’s entrepreneurship and world legacy.”

Ultimately the original rules are destined for a permanent home in Lawrence, possibly in the Booth Family Hall of Athletics.

The 13 basic rules were typed on two sheets of paper, now yellowed with age, so that Naismith could introduce his new game at the International YMCA Training School in Springfield, Mass.

The Nelson-Atkins is located at 45th and Oak Streets in Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

minnhawk84 8 years, 8 months ago

But, but that's in Missouri! Oh the agony.........

Jacobpaul81 8 years, 8 months ago

While I enjoy a good Fambrough speech at football season, the all year long ridiculous hatred just seems childish. Missouri is a fine state inhabited by many loyal Jayhawk fans.

RockChalkGuy 8 years, 8 months ago

I live among them and they are worth bashing on a year 'round basis.

Christopher Hauser 8 years, 8 months ago

I dont even rest with the Missouri bashing on holidays

Scott Oswalt 8 years, 8 months ago

jacobpaul81- Missouri is an awful state (except KC).

Missourians wear jean shorts.

Jacobpaul81 8 years, 8 months ago

Really? Interesting. Lake of the Ozarks, Hermann, Montauk State Park, St. James.... All of those are beautiful places. Nothing like that in Kansas.

Meanwhile, I spent most my life in Kansas and I seem to remember the majority of kids running around in Jean shorts at one time or another. So are you saying Kansas kids are as bad as Missourians? ;)

Rockchlk1333 8 years, 8 months ago

The name Missouri makes me sick! Not jean shorts, but worse, they wear JORTS. Jeans that have been cut off and made into shorts

Scott Smetana 8 years, 8 months ago

Try going to a game in Columbia or going to a sportsbar in St. Louis. You'll change your mind forever.
They are disgusting, it's not really a 'rivalry' to me. I'd love to see them leave our league, but no one wants them.

minnhawk84 8 years, 8 months ago

Jacobpaul81: I was being facetious. Missouri has some beautiful scenery (albeit with the Deliverance soundtrack playing in my mind when I view much of it). And I am sorry you haven't experienced the beauty of the Flint Hills -- nothing like it in Missouri -- and appear to be a topographical bigot in regard to the Great State of Kansas. Any Jayhawk living in Missouri needs to have his/her head examined. Now I am being sarcastic without hatred.

kcglowboy 8 years, 8 months ago

Technically, KC lies within Missouri's borders, but KC truly belongs to us. All the great years I lived in downtown KC, I never would have realized I was in that awful state if it hadn't been for the ugly driver's license I had to carry around.

dynamitehawk 8 years, 8 months ago

Put them behind glass. Someone might roll them up to snort meth with. Many guards, too. Sheesh. That's like asking Oprah to babysit your ham sandwich...

jaybate 8 years, 8 months ago

"That's like asking Oprah to babysit your ham sandwich..."

Posting Hall of Fame.

8 years, 8 months ago

Mr. Bate ~ Will you be erecting the Posting Hall of Fame near the Hall of Maim “on an inholding parcel in some BLM lands between Area 51 and earth artist Michael Heiser's phenomenal ‘City Complex’ that he has been working now for about 30 years in Nevada?”

Just checking so I can start making travel plans now :^)

jaybate 8 years, 8 months ago

The PHOF's location is yet to be determined, but OakvilleJHawk aka My Architect, will of course have first right of refusal to design the building and landscaping. :-)

jaybate 8 years, 8 months ago

As a founding board member of the PHOF board, I hope that OakvilleJHawk will submit building design and site program that will organically reflect his predilection for lists. By this I mean I am hoping for a titular building followed by a numbered list of small, pithy structures each one allowing him to explore the eclectic form language insights of his long and distinguished career, so that the buildings in combination encapsulate both his experiences in architecture, but also his hopes for its future. If he were to make a good place to chat up hotties, while looking at examples of great posts, it would be icing on the cake. Of course, I realize that the greatest gift a patron can give an architect is the freedom to do something correct for the site and the use that utterly delights us in a surprising way. This would of course be written into the contract.

Dyrk Dugan 8 years, 8 months ago

they should be displayed at the KU Hall of Fame, like Coach Self has advocated...but this is a good first step.

100 8 years, 8 months ago

They will. We first have to build a suitable structure on campus, or possibly inside the Fieldhouse. Booth purchased them for them to rest where they did already for 41 years..... Lawrence.

So this stop in KC is obviously quite temporary, but great for the public.

Lonnie Ross Dillon 8 years, 8 months ago

Technically, it's not the KU Hall of Fame but the KU Hall of Athletics

Tony Bandle 8 years, 8 months ago

Were they typed???? I thought they were handwritten??

My suggestion for the permanent display in Booth:

The display should be in a clear, humidity-controlled, unbreakable glass cylinder about four feet in diameter, running floor to ceiling, overhead lighted with the rules being set on a slowly rotating platform at about 48" off the floor so that as many people can see them simultaneously. Probably "no flash" photos only.

Just show the two pieces of paper...no pictures, emblems, text, etc, Just let those two pieces of paper speak for their impact on the history of sports!!!

jaybate 8 years, 8 months ago

jaybate news service (jns):

Dateline: Monaco

Slug: Bulletin--Rules stolen, weird tie in with Alfred Hitchcock, Grace Kelly and Wilt Chamberlain

<p>BasketballConspiracy.com indicates that the rules have already been stolen from the Booths and that what is being displayed in the Nelson, is, like so many legendary artifacts in major art museums of the world, fake.

The real rules are reportedly being held by a master thief in Monaco calling himself John RobyPrime aka The Cat.

jns stringers inside Monaco indicate that John RobyPrime is none other than Alfred Hitchcock's mind uploaded to the brain of Cary Grant's reanimated body. The rules were stolen and surfaced with gold leaf to be made a gift to Princess GracePrime, who was herself cloned from DNA found under the finger nails of Wilt Chamberlain's corpse. Yep, folks, Princess Grace and Wilt were a steamy item for brief period. Specifically, ex-Philadelphians Wilt and Grace romanced each other the week before Wilt scored 100 points. jns stringers that have gotten a look at the diary of a referee who worked Wilt's 100 point game and the diarist clearly states that Wilt told him he was going to hang a century before the game started, because this "Philly from Philly" had taken his heart to outer space.

There's a lot of new technology floating around out there and a lot of paper data mining left to be done to really begin to understand the present in terms of the past.

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

Tony Bandle 8 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like a new Clive Cussler novel to me!!

Alohahawk 8 years, 8 months ago

"To Catch a Thief", one of my favorite Hitchcock films, with one of my all time favorite actors (Grant). Must say you caught the film's undertones of comedy as well as mystique, of which Hitch would have been proud.

Nice to have the rules temporarily displayed in a museum atmosphere and not just a sports related venue, since they are an artifact of historic significance. Not to berate art lovers, because art has always held a place in my heart, but it allows those who might consider sports below them to view something they wouldn't consider otherwise.

Maybe Kansas can annex that portion of Missery which contains the museum while they are on display. Start another border war.

jaybate 8 years, 8 months ago

Oak,

Speaking of the Nelson, while you were having yourself dissected recently, I visited the new addition ot the Nelson, one that neither you, nor I, liked the exterior of much, as per an exchange a year or so ago...if my palimsest of a mind has not gotten this recollection wrong, too.

The exterior still leaves me cold.

But I thoroughly enjoyed the interior. It has the kind of light, quietness that certain architects have been achieving in the John Pawson era.

So: to my surprise, I very much enjoyed viewing the art in the new addition. It of course did not hurt that the art focused quite a bit on painters like Pollack and de Kooning that I am fond of. The Pollack is one of the most interesting of Pollack's drip paintings I have ever gandered at. It is almost a black ink dripped on a parchment (not quite white, not quite khaki) canvas (maybe even kind of a silk screen material) into which the black leaches by some capillary action. So unlike a lot of Pollack's paintings, it combines the vivid dynamism of him flinging paint every which way with sharpness, but also has the paradoxical quality of the paint spreading out certain places in very limited capillary action. I suspect many would prefer Pollack's more conventional splatter paintings, but, fascinated as I am by paradox, I enjoyed this one vary much.

And as I said to begin with, the quasi Pawson-esque quietness in the addition, despite its astringency, worked well for me as a place to contemplate pictures.

But the outside still doesn't work for me.

Scott Oswalt 8 years, 8 months ago

Not a big fan of shuttlecocks are we...

jaybate 8 years, 8 months ago

LOL!

Not the shuttle part.

And not the cock part either. :-)

Tony Bandle 8 years, 8 months ago

JB...John had a way with letting the art do the talking and the buiding be it's silent partner. Excellent pick up, my friend.

I'll tell you what, if I have a choice, I'll take the interior as the success everytime. They can always laugh at the architect's exterior...we're used to it!! :)

PS your memory is sound...the exterior was not one of my favorites...now if they painted it Crimson and Blue and added the Rock Chalk Chant.........

8 years, 8 months ago

Love the AFH reference! Hope you are feeling better Oakville, and glad you are back on the boards.

jaybate 8 years, 8 months ago

slayr,

When you go, be sure to look at the Jackson Pollack. If one looks closely, I believe one sees all of the the offenses up to Pollack's time diagrammed in abstraction. :-)

RockCaCO3 8 years, 8 months ago

Damn, there's some funny posts on here. Good stuff. Gotta side with the bashers though.