Sunday, February 20, 2011

Ailing Thomas Robinson works out, feels good

Videos

KU vs. Colorado

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Colorado, 89-63, Saturday, Feb. 19, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 89-63 victory over Colorado on Feb. 19, 2011.

Download podcast

Kansas University sophomore forward Thomas Robinson, who had surgery on Feb. 11 to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee, worked out for an hour before the game Saturday.

“I feel good. I’m moving well again,” Robinson said. “I tried jumping and stuff and didn’t lose anything. I feel I can get back to practice this week, maybe try to play a couple minutes Monday (versus Oklahoma State, 8 p.m., Allen Fieldhouse), but that’s still up for grabs. I’m going to try to get some minutes Monday, but I’ll be ready for Saturday (at Oklahoma) for sure.”

The original prognosis had Robinson missing two weeks.

“I had no doubts. You cannot break me, man,” he said with a smile. “I mean, this is something minor, a speed bump in the road, nothing I can’t handle. The injury is over with. I’m coming back. I’ll be ready next week.”

Highlight-reel dunk

Freshman guard Josh Selby bounced the basketball hard off the floor to a hard-charging Travis Releford, who finished a highlight-reel dunk with :29 left.

“I saw John Wall do it yesterday in the All-Star game,” Selby said of the NBA rookie-sophomore game. “I did it a couple times in pick-up games. I just wanted to bring it over here and get Travis a dunk.

“He was surprised I threw it. He thought I’d take it myself like everybody else. He was surprised and reacted a little late,” added Selby, who said he’d be watching SportsCenter in hopes of seeing the play on the day’s top-10 list.

Selby had several alley-oop lobs to Markieff Morris.

Selby said his right foot (stress reaction) was 80 to 85 percent healed.

The shot

Former KU guard Mario Chalmers of the Miami Heat told the Jayhawk Radio Network at halftime he was thrilled to watch the pregame video in which his game-tying shot against Memphis in the 2008 national title game is featured.

“It’s the first time I’ve seen it since I’ve been gone,” Chalmers said of the video. “It sent chills up my body. It makes me want to be out there again.”

He said he thinks of the shot, “about every week. It’s one of the greatest moments of my life.”

NBA talk

NBA players Chalmers, Cole Aldrich (Oklahoma City Thunder), Xavier Henry (Memphis Grizzlies) and Sherron Collins (Charlotte Bobcats) sat two rows behind KU’s bench.

“I miss everything. I miss all of this. It’s fun being back,” said Henry, who wore a Houston Astros baseball cap. “Seeing all of the kids (students), seeing all of my friends playing … I enjoy it.”

Collins, who wore a Cleveland Cavaliers hat — “Just matches my outfit,” he joked — arrived just before halftime because of a flight delay from Chicago.

“I’ve got some fight in me. I learned I’ll fight through any situation,” Collins said of making an NBA team despite going undrafted.

Aldrich joked: “It’s exciting to be back here, to see all these guys, not Sherron as much. Xavier is nicer. It’s a lot of fun seeing familiar faces and living the college life for a few days again.”

Howdy, coach

Kansas City Chiefs coach Todd Haley attended and sat a few rows behind KU’s bench.

Faces in crowd

Former KU players Jeff Graves, Aaron Miles and Wayne Simien attended, as did former KU football receiver Marcus Henry of the Carolina Panthers.

Recruiting

ESPN’s Dave Telep reported on Twitter on Saturday night that prize recruit Ben McLemore as well as Sidiki Johnson, “per a source, left Oak Hill (Academy) and are no longer part of the basketball team.” The 6-foot-5 McLemore, who is Rivals.com’s No. 17-rated player, will sign with either KU or Missouri in April.

Comments

Scott MacWilliams 3 years, 8 months ago

Hey T-Rob, You do whatever the docs say, and get well but don't push it! I'd hate to see you miss out later because you were so anxious to get back out there. We love your energy and hops. Take good care, and remember we're all pulling for you every day, no matter what!

Rock The Chalk, Mr. Robinson!!

Lonnie Ross Dillon 3 years, 8 months ago

TV didn't catch the Selby-to-Relford dunk because it went away to the UT-NU game.

FairgroveJayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm glad to hear it because I forgot to DVR the stinking game and knowing I'd have missed the dunk makes me feel a little better!

Ron Franklin 3 years, 8 months ago

don't know if you have the right cable provider or internet provider...i have at&t....and you can go re watch the game on espn360. If you want to....

Chris Bruning 3 years, 8 months ago

How awesome to see all these guys back. AWESOME!!!!

Ben McLemore. Sounds like another josiah turner situation.

basketball122009 3 years, 8 months ago

thomas ain't going to be much in shape since he has missed a couple of weeks,when he does come back but he needs to listen to the doctors

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 8 months ago

Great positive attitude. While we need his energy and prowess, I am sure the Docs and Self will make the right decision as to when he plays.

kushaw 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm very interested in hearing about why McLemore and Johnson left Oak Hill. It sounds like they weren't kicked off the team, but they both simply left the team. Johson is committed Zona.

Robert Brock 3 years, 8 months ago

Oak Hill is all about Cook dribbling and jacking up countless shots. Oak Hill might help McLemore's transcript, but it was not a good place to go for hoops, IMO. There were plenty of choices - Mac went to the wrong school.

kranny 3 years, 8 months ago

That's what I saw last week on the HS game espn had on. Several wide open players on the perimeter or down low and Cook jacks up defended shots. McClemore is very athletic with mad hops-a lot like TRob with a bit better shot. He would fit in with Kansas very well defends well and runs the floor.

lee3022 3 years, 8 months ago

Apparently Ben has completed his requirements as he explored early entry to university this term before deciding to go back. I would wonder if that exploration in the middle of the bb season has caused the dismissal.

Funhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

If Thomas can do the James Brown I Feel Good boogaloo, he's ready.

oldalum 3 years, 8 months ago

I read that Perry attended the K-State game last night.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 8 months ago

I will be attending the Oklahoma game in person (first time to see the Hawks in person in over four years) and would love to see T-Rob play. As some posters said above, no need to rush to play T-Rob. Do what the doctors say----Jayhawk Nation loves you!

Ken Sedgwick 3 years, 8 months ago

I hope those NBA guys got a chance to remind the players to play every minute of every game like it was their last.

Chicago_JHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Not sure it's wise for Sherron to wear an opposing team's cap while a member of the Bobcats! Not going to curry much favor in the tentative situation he's in, as the 3rd PG on the squad.

Gregor Southard 3 years, 8 months ago

Didn't know Marcus was with Carolina. Would love to get an update of where the '07 football players are now...