Friday, February 18, 2011

Tyshawn Taylor shoulders blame for KU basketball’s loss to K-State

A frustrated Tyshawn Taylor reacts after fouling Kansas State guard Jacob Pullen during the second half on Monday, Feb. 14, 2011 at Bramlage Coliseum.

Videos

Bill Self weekly press conference, Feb. 17, 2011

video thumbnail

Kansas head coach Bill Self addressed the media at his weekly press conference Thursday, Feb. 17, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University junior point guard Tyshawn Taylor cringed Wednesday as he watched the film of Monday’s 84-68 blowout loss at Kansas State.

“I’ve played a lot of bad games in my career here so far. That’s probably one of the worst, on both ends of the court,” said Taylor, who committed six turnovers against one assist on a night he scored eight points.

“I was not tuned in. I was not focused on guarding my man (Jacob Pullen, who scored 38 points). I wasn’t getting my team into offense. I played real bad. I (stunk). Everybody who watched that game will tell you that,” he added.

He gave himself quite a scolding Thursday in front of the media.

“I was really rattled,” Taylor said. “The crowd was into it. It was one of those games I was like, ‘Man, I don’t know what to do right now.’ I know all of us played our part in losing, but I think if I’d played a better game, we had a better chance.

“I messed that up. I want to come back out and work hard. I feel I owe my team a little bit.”

KU’s other two junior starters — the Morris twins — also faulted themselves in responding to questions for the first time about the KSU game.

Markieff Morris (three points, no rebounds) was called for his second intentional foul in three games. He’s remorseful about that.

“Once you watch the film and see the things you do, you say, ‘That’s not me. Why did I do that?’ I need to make better decisions,” Markieff said of clipping Jacob Pullen in the face while setting a screen.

“We (twins) are supposed to be leaders of this team and set examples for younger players. By doing that, it’s not a good look for our program.”

Marcus Morris earlier this season was ejected for committing a flagrant foul at Cal-Berkeley and also was whistled for a technical foul at Nebraska.

“We can play without talking to the refs. Me and Marcus are emotional players,” Markieff said. “Everybody doesn’t realize we are into the game so much. When we feel we are being taken out of the game, we get that attitude. We’ve definitely got to change it. We definitely will change it.”

Marcus had some bad body language at times during the KSU game, during which he scored 13 points with three rebounds and four turnovers.

“That’s people’s opinions. Sometimes they like us. Sometimes they don’t,” Marcus said of those who have criticized the twins’ behavior on the court.

“It’s definitely our fault giving that vibe to people, showing such emotion in a game, but I think that’s how we are as players. It’s the only way we feel we can come off the court — by getting fouls and stuff like that — so it’s frustrating at times. We show emotion. It’s a sign of immaturity. We are leaders of the team, and we can’t act that way.”

Marcus Morris addressed one of his recent Twitter posts that said: “I see how it is. When the grass is cut the snakes will show. F.O.E (Family Over Everything) it’s us against the world in my eyes.”

“I think a lot of people took it the wrong way. It was never focused on our fans,” Marcus Morris said. “As I said on Twitter afterward, we have the best fans in the country. I think people thought I was talking about them. I wasn’t talking about fans, just about a lot of people. It’s stuff we have to move past. It’s one game. We’re 24-2. We still don’t have a bad record. The season is far from over.”

Taylor said there has been no players-only meeting this week, but several individual players spoke during the film session Wednesday.

“Coach (Bill Self) welcomes our input. We all want to do what it takes to get better,” Taylor said. “We saw so many dumb plays we all made. Once we focus in, we can be a good defensive team. It starts with me. I’m pressuring the ball all the time. I have to be more intense defensively.”

Self did have a one-on-two meeting with the twins.

“We met with them. They have to do some serious things. The things that have transpired in games have hurt their team. Are they going to be willing to modify, change — and (they) don’t have to change much — but do the things to make sure these things don’t happen again? I thought we’d addressed it. We didn’t execute it in a way I’d hoped. Hopefully from this point forward they will,” Self said.

No. 1 boast revisited

Self was asked if, in retrospect, it was smart for Marcus Morris to speak about wanting the Jayhawks to be No. 1 in the polls after last Saturday’s rout of Iowa State.

“It was all from an ego standpoint: ‘We did this and have earned it.’ Now we’re going to do something totally out of character of what we believe in. We don’t believe in doing that. That’s a very small example of us not being quite as focused as we should. Why would we make a statement like that? Not that it was awful. Not that it was good. Why don’t you let your play do all your talking? That’s how I believe and that’s how we’re going to be.

“It wasn’t an issue of why we lost. It was an example of a plethora of things that occurred that maybe didn’t allow us to be our best that night.”

Next up

Self on the Jayhawks (24-2, 9-2), who meet Colorado (16-10, 5-6) at 1 p.m. Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse.

“We are 24-2. I mean, regardless of what some people might think, the sky is not falling. The reality is that things have to be addressed. I think we have a perfect opportunity to address them,” Self said.

“If you told us before the season we’d be 24-2, we’d be pretty excited probably after losing what we lost last year. The thing about these guys, and we’ve had other teams like this, they frustrate you because they spoil you. You see what they can do when they are really good, and then it’s frustrating when we are not that good at other times.”

Injuries

Self said Josh Selby (stress reaction right foot) is about “80, 85 percent. There’s nothing to keep him from playing unless he re-injures it. It’s February. That’s the whole deal. Everybody is nicked up now,” Self said. He said he had no plan as to how many minutes Selby would play Saturday.

Thomas Robinson, who had surgery Friday to repair a torn meniscus, will have his sutures removed today. “I anticipate Thomas practicing pretty soon,” Self said.

Comments

schrephawk 3 years, 1 month ago

what a bunch of spoiled (so called fans).

docileboy 3 years, 1 month ago

I used to wonder why Taylor walked the ball up the floor, then it became clear that when he tries to go any faster than that he is out of control and as far as defense he couldn't guard the people on my over 60 team. In fact overall this is probably the worst defensive team the Jayhawks have put on the floor in a long time.

Bill Shaw 3 years, 1 month ago

TT's play reminds me of Collins when he was nominated for the Dolly Madison award.

CasperCorps 3 years, 1 month ago

Its not Tyshawns fault... Nobody could of guarded Pullen that day.. Dude couldn't miss.. It was the fact we didn't guard that other guy that went five for five is why we lost.

JayhawkMafiaFamily 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm liking the idea of Brady as the starting point guard more and more but that would mean TT would have to come off the bench. Before Selby got hurt he started along with the Twins, Reed and TT. I actually think this would be good for TT. I think it would help take some of the pressure off of him and help him focus more once he gets on the court.

Ralster Jayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

100, I like you optimism. I may have alot of the same concerns that many of the regular posters here do regarding disturbing trends as the season progresses, but I choose to sit back and see if Self&staff&players get those areas addressed. No need to for me (what do I matter?) to sound the alarms on things that are blatantly obvious to players/coaches. Lets see how things play out...

Some one mentioned Brady as a PG. Frankly, he has the disposition, patience, A/T ratio to do it very, very well. Ask any KU fan to think about it this way: How do you feel about BStar being the main PG/distributor? Has a sideways familiarity to it, doesnt it? He already is pretty good with assists. He's not that much better than a well-playing TT, but he just doesnt show the shockingly bad downside. Selby may grow into the position, but doesnt have the stats to do it right now.

CoachK at Duke very often would run a smart PG like BStar. He does everything well.

100 3 years, 1 month ago

Lots of Jayhawk nation is back posting like champs. Great to see the cream rising back to the top.

Wanted to send some good vibrations out to Oakville as he recovers from his surgery.

Also would like to send peaceful energy via this amazing technology called the Internet to Trobb as he continues to recover from his surgery & his loss of his family members. Trobb you & your sister are in our hearts, now & forever.

Also would like to send a belated but massive "thank you" to Tyshawn & the Twin's moms for supporting Trobb through these tender weeks. You are in all of our thoughts & prayers as well.

Lastly I would like to apologize to our fellow posters, players & coaching staff for claiming like a gradeschooler that our Jayhawks were ready for the # 1 ranking. I really believed we were, even with the injury issues. Clearly we weren't ready.... Yet.

So when will we be ready?

Here's the best part. We won't be ready for the #1 ranking this season. Not until the final buzzer sounds, after we've climbed the entire mountain....

Alas, we will be ready for the #1 ranking when it matters.....

The night of April 4th, when we're not playing basketball anymore, but running across the court in jubilation, cutting down some thread that hangs from ten feet.....

William Blake 3 years, 1 month ago

Everyone should read my posts with a grain of salt.

After all.... my pre-game selection of the "Hawk to Rock" in the KSU game was Kieff! Maybe I jinxed him. I bet he got at least 1 rebound in every game he has ever played going back to grade school, until I picked him to smash the kittens!

Okay... move over Tyshawn... I'm taking responsibility for the loss at the Kittydome.

; )

SCHNBALL 3 years, 1 month ago

Just watch the team assist numbers for the rest of the year,it will reveal the future for this team.

FLJHK 3 years, 1 month ago

There's just too damn many great posts on this site. I'm hooked. I think I'm headed for 12 steps.

Just today I'd focused on the points of ict, HEM and Drgnslayr among others, then of course the Master (Jay)Bate comes along and I spend an hour digesting his typically great post, then PhogAdvisory cleans up with some terrific research and analysis.

You folks are killing me. I'm self-employed, and this site is undermining my productivity. Poverty beckons. Just cut it out!

Hank Cross 3 years, 1 month ago

I agree with the idea of moving TT to 2 and letting Selby play point. I believe, however, that it's an academic argument at this point. It's going to be a readjustment to re-integrate Selby back in to the team as he recovers from his injury, couple that with him playing a new position and there aren't enough games left before the tourney to straighten that out.

justinryman 3 years, 1 month ago

Plus it's a good thing that we don't have to play Colorado anymore. I mean it seems like we have overlooked our last two opponents before we have played them this year and have lost.

Hopefully we don't have to play them in the Big12 turny!!!!

justinryman 3 years, 1 month ago

Micheal Jordan couldn't win a title until he had a team around him.

So what makes everyone(well almost everyone) think that Taylor is the reason this team has only lost 2 games???

I said it earlier and I will say it again. You win as a team, you lose as a team. That is something that the '08 and '88 teams knew and they played that way too.

It's fine if a player wants to take some of the blame, but for everyone to pile on top of a kid is a little rediculous. I mean how many of us work in front of 15,000+ screaming fans everyday? None?? So we do not know what he has to deal with on the court.

RockChalk26 3 years, 1 month ago

24 - 2 record and you want a change at point guard? Get real

TT is doing fine and he will bounce back better then ever Saturday against the Buffs.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

Now folks would still be unhappy with Tyshawns up and down games, and they would still be upset that Pullen lit him up in the second KSU game, the same way persons were upset with Julian letting Durant light him up, and Darnell letting Beasley light him up, and so on. And people would still be upset about the Tyshawn drives into the lane some games and cannot get anything to fall. And they would still be upset with his 6 pop tart games.

But...

They would be 26-0. And number one ranked. And in position to run the table.

And even with all the injuries that have decimated the team's vaunted depth, the team is still 24-2.

Tyshawn is a helluvan athlete and now a pretty darned good basketball player struggling like hell with playing PG while still trying to improve his concentration span.

Last year I had to listen to board rats talk about Sherron not being any good.

This year I have to listen to the same about Tyshawn not being any good.

Every year I have had to listen to Brady is no good.

For three years I had to listen to Tyrel will never be any good.

All these guys had flaws. All players do. Tyshawn's are particularly annoying and apparent at the point.

He may not be able to carry us to a ring, but then again he might.

Presently, he seems our most viable option.

And we're 24-2.

The big thing I keep telling myself is that most players panic, when they are put under incredible pressure of a kind they have not seen before, especially when they are trying to make things work without all the pieces of the team they have grown to rely on. Tyshawn has grown to rely on TRob and Selby just as much as the other bedrock guys. Missing these two and playing in a very hostile environment the first time as a PG is a recipe for panic.

So: he paniced.

But he also has a history of learning, however slowly, from his mistakes, and of doing a lot of things right, and playing on teams that win a lot of games.

I can live with him until we recruit someone better.

And by next season, he'll never panic at Bramlage again, and his concentration span will be longer still.

Could he panic in a Final Four when things go wrong? Sure. KU's ring team paniced against UCLA the year before it won the ring.

Everybody's gotta learn from experiences...good and bad.

Rock Chalk!

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

But Self is also invested in Tyshawn, because Tyshawn is what Self dreamed about being--the fastest guy on earth playing the 2, and then being asked to heroically switch to the 1, learn on the job, and prove all the doubters about 2 gaurds as PGs wrong, by carrying his team to a 24-2 record in February, and then on to a ring in March. Talk about story book stuff entwined with personal legacies and mythology.

And any 2 that could pull off the switch from the 2 to the 1 and learn on the job in a junior season in D1, would have to be a superior athlete, like Tyshawn, or Kirk Hinrich.

But even Hinrich, who probably made a smoother transition to the 1 from the 2, played some PG in high school. Tyshawn, as I understand it, never did.

Tyshawn has concentration issues. He has gotten vastly better this season regarding concentration. Were he playing the 2, his levels of concentration might never be an issue this season. But at the 1 any loss of concentration triggers TOs quickly, and causes problems against number 1 scoring options.

Regarding his trend line, if one plots the whole season so far, and recognizes that every 4th game he has an off game, and allows for the KSU game to be the one horrible game everyone has once a season, Tyshawn's average trend line is still up. And his extreme athleticism has helped him compensate for several of his 5-6 TO games in ways that have helped propel this team to 24-2.

But here are the two really big points that I think should make board rats ease up on Tyshawn.

First, if TRob and Selby and Releford had been healthy against KSU, KU would almost certainly have won that game, despite how awful they played. TRob would have grabbed 9-10 reebs, had a couple dunks, and would have allowed sufficient depth for KU's bigs to take the fight to KSU the entire game; this alone probably would have overcome Pullen's unconscious game. Then add a healthy Selby scoring his 14ppg and freeing Brady to play more PG for the slumping TT and even on a 20 percent trey shooting night KU almost certainly would have won. Then add Releford being healthy and Self being able to put Releford on Pullen from time to time to really rough him up, and put him on the floor, well, I would bet everything in my piggy bank that KU would have won that game.

And that would make KU 25-1.

Next, what if TRobs mother had not died? What if KU had not had to interrupt its practice schedule with a trip back east and the huge emotional roller coaster that that entailed, and what if Selby had not been hurt for Texas and Tyrel had not had a bone bruise?

I'll answer that. KU would have beaten Texas and handily.

And that would make KU 26-0.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

Why do point guards have to do this for Self?

First, Self rarely takes responsibility for anything bad. He has a tremendously high ranking on the Shiz Avoidance Index in this regard.

Second, Self is an old 2 guard. 2 guards harbor deep and bitter resentment towards point guards. 2 guards think they could run the team better. 2 guards think they could be point guards. 2 guards often become coaches, because of this bitterness and because 2 guards spend their careers watching things develop, rather than always initiating things. The 2 is much closer to what a coach eventually does than what a PG does. What makes a great PG is being able to act in the moment in the middle of the action. Coaches are always watching acting from outside the action. 2 guards are like that, only a little closer to the action.

Self is heavily invested in Tyshawn Taylor succeeding as a point guard, yet sympathetically and pragmatically aware of what he is up against.

Why?

Self hasn't got another point guard on the roster, who would turn it over less, and who will get better from this year's experience and be here next season.

His alternatives are EJ, who is in a nightmare slump and wild as a March hare; Selby, who would turn it over more, and will be gone next season; Brady, who could easily do it, but would then leave Self with no glue and only one wing point in a gimpy Selby, and be gone next year; and Tyrel, who could do it, but probably could not keep making treys, or penetrate, and would then leave him without a trey shooting two. And Tyrel will be gone, too. These are not good choices.

Tyshawn is Self's best option for now and for later, even if Tyshawn is learning and volatile and prone to six pop tarts every fourth game.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 1 month ago

I am anxious to see the Jayhawks right the ship and play with a purpose against Colorado. The K-State road loss is past history now. Go Jayhawks!

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

Contrary to cliche, a great defender cannot be a great defender every night, any more than a great shooter can be hot every night. Defense at the first scoring option limit is as razor edged as jump shooting from 24 feet. If your concentration and physical fitness are even a hair off against either a great player, or a good scorer on a career night, then a cascade of bad happens and before you know it the team's best defender is being switched off the opponent's number one scoring option, while being told to stop, drop and roll to extinguish his burning jersey. Before you know it, the team's top defender is a three alarm blaze and everyone is screaming "let him burn to death, because he's not good enough!!"

Recall another great defensive KU 2: Mario Chalmers. Recall his night against Aaron Afflalo in a Madness game against UCLA. Recall him looking like a Hollywood stuntman on fire chasing Afflalo, until finally Self called for his ultimate fire extinguisher--Brandon Rush. Afflalo did not hang 23 in a half on Chalmers, because UCLA was not playing exclusively through Afflalo the way Frank "The Hit Man" Martin played exclusively through Mr. Curtain Beard, but Afflalo made Chalmers look just as bad, as TT vs. Pullen, at least defensively. Chalmers probably should have been sent to a defensive burn ward after that experience, and would have been had he not had Rush to bail him out. And Chalmers was a great, great, great defensive 2.

But, but, but, but...jaybate, Chalmers did not then run around like a chicken with his head cut off offense. Chalmers did not turn into Betty Crocker on crack baking pop tarts right and left.

True, true.

But Chalmers was not playing PG. He was not playing PG for the first season in his basketball career and learning on the job in D1. And, frankly, Chalmers playing UCLA at Pauley, or Anaheim, or whatever blow-dryer enabled Left Coast place it was, was not nearly as hostile of an environment as playing an arch rival in front of farm boys hopped up on grain alcohol and cow piss looking to feed KU to Brahma bulls crossed with cougars in the 8-sided experimental barn that is Bramlage.

Further, Self took one four game look at Chalmers as a freshman at PG and gave the job to RR, a guy he had benched the year before, then recruited Sherron Collins, and Chalmers never saw the point again in his KU career.

Point guard is serious business. Point guard, even when Self chooses to route a lot of activity through a wing point, like Chalmers, or Selby, or Brady, is the hub of the team's nervous system. Point guards, on a Self team, are the guys that get the dirty job of going to the press and being interviewed head on after losses and having to say: "I sucked. I'm responsible." Just ask Sherron Collins.

jaybate 3 years, 1 month ago

"In Defense of Quantum T"

Lots of frustration with Tyshawn and understandable to some extent.

He is not a conventional point guard and so he does not have conventional point guard strengths and weaknesses.

Getting used to something new is stressful.

Tyshawn Taylor is a fabulous athlete still learning how to play basketball, and two thirds of the way through his first season learning how to play point guard.

(Sounds of an iLynchMob forming in pixel light around jaybate's alias and closing in with virtual rope.)

Despite the atypically large swings in the level of his play, proof of his goodness is ubiquitous.

TT started as a 2 on a team that went to the Sweet 16 team or better his freshman year. Try and name even four other KU freshman 2s in KU history, even 3, that started at 2 and played on a Sweet 16 team, as a freshman. Self asked him to be a third option impact player his freshman season, also, and TT always guarded the second scoring option on the perimeter.

TT's sophomore season, despite a horrible sophomore slump, he started, then was a first sub, then started down the stretch on a team that was number one most of the season and a number one seed in the NCAA tournament. Self asked him to be a glue 2 his sophomore season. He always guarded the first, or second scoring option on the perimeter.

This year, TT has started and played huge minutes almost every game and lead the team to a 24-2 record, while learning to play point guard, which is not even his natural position!! He always guarded the first option on the perimeter.

Though he has played a number of bad games, as all players have done in 3 seasons, he has only really been lit up for 30 plus once in three seasons on defense that I recall. Pullen hung 23 on him in the first half vs. KSU on Pullen's greatest game of his career--a game in which the unconscious Pullen went on to hang another 15 on Brady the second half.

For perspective, I watched a clip of Alan Voskuil's unconscious game a few years back in which he had 9 treys. Brady was taking most of the sting that night.

Shiz happens to good defenders guarding first options.

But great defenders are like great shooters, something that folks that are religious about defense, rather than logical, tend to forget.

Christopher Hauser 3 years, 1 month ago

The adversity (some self imposed) that this team has been through this season will pay dividends in the near future, mark my words. This team will respond and in a big way. We all need to sack up and forget about what happened on Monday and get ready for the ride because it is going to be a great one. I am only interested in what this team is going to do in the future not what it has done in the past. We still have a lot of great basketball to be played.

Kevin Huffman 3 years, 1 month ago

I've officially been a KU fan since about '88 or so. The only "in control" PG I feel like we've EVER had was Adonis Jordan. Even Jacque Vaughn, who we all loved, had some "craziness times".

SCHNBALL 3 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate, Oak, HighElite, we need to come up with a tournament slogan;

Muscle Ball vs The Poetry of Passes In Motion Grind It Out vs The Assist Brigade

d_prowess 3 years, 1 month ago

Does the LJW have a policy about the word, "sucked"? I am asking because that is what Taylor said in the quote they use, but the LJW changed it to (stunk). Just curious.

FLJHK 3 years, 1 month ago

HEM, ict and drgnslayr:

I've followed your posts on this subject for some time now, and greatly appreciate your insight and analysis. And I've concluded that....well, I just can't decide with certainty. In theory I like the thought of Selby in the point, he certainly has the most upside over time. But...

The thought of Selby as the starting PG is derailed by several things. First and most significant, he's not healthy and presumably won't be until there are but a few games left in the season. Second, due to the suspension and injuries, the guy still has very little D1 experience, and that's a tough role to assume at this point in the season, Third, he's at best been erratic when he's played the point so far this season.

I do want Selby back in the starting line-up as the 2 when his foot so allows. Then slide him into the point if TT starts slowly. Brady has the make-up and tools to be a perfect 6th man, and should be the first perimeter player off the bench in any scenario. I am concerned that the point is the least accomplished position on this team, and that is counter to the usual formula for NCAA tourney success.However, in an offense that runs through the bigs, and the plethora of perimeter talent aside from the point, I still think we have a great chance of a special tournament run.

Best wishes again to Oakville with hopes of good health and a speedy return to these pages.

jayhawkinATL 3 years, 1 month ago

This is pretty cool!!!

May have to go see his movie now.

Michael Luby 3 years, 1 month ago

First I just want to say I had the pleasure of meeting Thomas Robinson a couple days ago while I was walking to the Granada for a concert. I was so shocked to see him ( I dont live in lawrence) that I called him T-Rob. LOL! But, he was very kind and gracious. I told him I hoped he got better and got back in the game soon and good luck the rest of the season. I saw him walking around with his girlfriend Im assuming and he looked just fine to me. Im a nurse so I can tell if people are hurting. He had no limp or anything. He looked great and I am betting he will be back to full strength very very soon! And, Omg that guy is a freekin beast in person! He is not just tall he is like Lou Ferigno (sp?) at 6'9".

Secondary to this, our Jayhawks this year do not look like a final four contender anymore. That KState game was awful!! Hopefully those guys that were in the game can use this as motivation to get much much better in the focus and patience department. If they dont, they will suffer another early out in the big dance. Who else thinks the twins have the capabilities to go pro this year? I do, But hopefully Momma Morris will talk some sense into them as well.

HawkBBall 3 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn, I know you can play defense when you want to. Just look at the first half of the ISU game in Lawrence. You hustled and cut off the drives by their point guard. It takes concentration and will power to hold it together for two hours. Let's see that effort this Saturday. When you are on the court as the point guard, play like one.

Marcus and Markieff, let's see if you take your medicine when the whistle blows for a foul by you. Don't pout or complain. Let's see when you take the bench that you don't talk back to the coaches. Lead by example!

okiedave 3 years, 1 month ago

Here is how I see the season, warts, technical fouls and all. If all Division I teams were being graded on their performance for the year so far, Kansas would receive an A+ and be on the most favorable far end of any bell curve. Looking forward to the big dance.

REHawk 3 years, 1 month ago

And if, perchance, you don't kick some Buffalo butt...well, kick anything that moves within five foot of you. And never, no matter what, ever chance another peek at this site!

RockCaCO3 3 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn, Marcus, Markief, we know you guys will rebound from last Monday. Your fans are behind you 100%. Kick some Buff Butt!

RCJHGKU!

sdolars 3 years, 1 month ago

Half the people on this site are acting like unappreciative fools. We have one of the top teams in the country and all you do is cry about how we lose 2 games out of 26 and cry about our point not being amazing. Well ..... follow a better team ..... wait there isn't one

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 1 month ago

How many coaches out there are saying ...dang, I wished that I was 24-2 and a strong contender for a 1st seed!

douggiejug 3 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn is the worst starting point guard in the top 25 ........ not even close

William Blake 3 years, 1 month ago

The biggest issues in the KSU game were not so much what we did, but what we didn't do.

Turnovers, low FG%, bad shot selection, etc... yes, horrible... but what caused these results?

No movement off the ball... where were the screens? When defense plays tight you can exploit that, too... we should have had several back door scores.

For whatever reason we had a mental breakdown. Team execution was exchanged for "every man for himself."

I believe when the team is out of it a timeout with a play set is in order. We should have been running plays at least out of those timeouts and perhaps we could have loosened up their defense.

Few Hawks played well... Tyrel did okay and Brady.... I don't want to lay too much blame on any single player, but if I did I would lay more blame on Kieff than Tyshawn. Zero rebounds? No player has offered up so many quality stats to this team than Kieff, and he has been rock solid with his stats. When you include the void of TRob... we had no inside presence.

Suddenly the "in and out" isn't there, and the guards are being guarded up high... no wonder Tyshawn had a meltdown. I'm not giving him a free pass, but when you look at all his turnovers versus low assists, there is plenty of blame to go around besides Tyshawn.

Tyshawn at point, is the benefactor of running an effective offense. When it is going well he has many opportunities to build his assist stat at very little risk. When we don't run good offense, he will often be the one who will turn the ball over. Granted, if he was a top NBA PG he would maintain more composure, but he's not... he's a junior in college who is trying to learn to play PG the past few months.

I wouldn't give Tyshawn any more blame than 20%.... 1/5... because this is supposed to be a team, not a bunch of one-on-one players. So when there is blame there is plenty to go around. This team probably leads the country in total assists.... so where were all the other assists besides Tyshawns?

When we started this season I thought we could make it without a single leader... thinking this was a unique team that is capable of all taking their fair share of responsibility. I'm not sure anymore... and I don't really see anyone coming on to lead this team. I mean, really lead this team. I believe many of us thought Josh might be that miracle freshman who could do it, but he isn't ready yet, maybe next year.

And, for the most part, it seems that our defense shadows our offense. What I'm trying to say is we have been using our offensive explosiveness to create momentum back on the defensive end. So when the offense collapsed, so did the defense (though we have never reached anywhere near our potential on defense).

Who knows... maybe we can actually get down to business now, and reach ever closer to our potential. Potential... the elusive carrot!

Hey... tomorrow is game day!

jrbill67 3 years, 1 month ago

Wow, if these 3 are sincere the sky's the limit because they have unlimited talent. If they play under control they are going a long way in the tournament.

SCHNBALL 3 years, 1 month ago

Thanks ReHawk, this board is so much more enjoyable than most, the characters are all interesting in their own way. Assist for this team relates to the movement of the ball in my humble opinion.

REHawk 3 years, 1 month ago

SCHNBALL, you produced an interesting statistic regarding much fewer assists in the two losses. That kind of stuff is why I enjoy reading these posts.

Scott Smetana 3 years, 1 month ago

Nice article. The twins are gonna kick some butt, especially when backed up by TMonster. TT will hopefully play much smarter. now... MOVING ON

XEPCT 3 years, 1 month ago

I assume when Tyshawn said "I (stunk)." He really said "I sucked," and the LJWorld changed it. In that case, shouldn't the editor have changed it to "I stank," or is proper English a lost cause?

Michael Leiker 3 years, 1 month ago

Taylor is by far the best ball handler on this team (talking in terms of just pure handle). He has been pretty darn consistent all year in terms of handling the ball and running the offense. When he makes a mistake it is usually a glaring mistake but I believe his pluses easily outweigh his minuses. I think Coach Self realizes he really does not have a choice to make. It's too late to experiment with Selby and Brady and Tyrell are just not quick enough off the dribble to avoid traps, get into the lane consistently, etc.

Tyshawn's ability to get to the rim is overlooked by fans. Yes, he misses shots in close quite a bit and when he is off he is off, but he gives you the best chance to get an offensive rebound off of his misses, and when he is on and making his "bunnies" (never really liked that term) this team reaches it's ceiling.

I think most of us realize in the back of our minds that Taylor is the most important player on this team. He is the limiting factor and the piece that gives KU the most upside as well. I hope HCBS continues his early to mid season coaching style of just being supportive and steady with Tyshawn. TT seems to try so hard and take things so personally that mistakes seem to snowball on him. Best thing Self can do is help him feel comfortable, but in control.

For the third straight year, TT is they Key for KU. I think we're going to see a great March from him and am very excited about it.

SCHNBALL 3 years, 1 month ago

What a difference a year makes!! Last year we all moaned about how our offense was boring to watch and how the ball stuck the entire possession. Now this year, an offense that I must say has been a joy to watch in the era of dribble drive and NBA style play.

I must give kudos to the coaching staff to adjusting their offense to the talent that we have this year, not to many staffs are willing to do that anymore. With that being said, I find it very interesting that Self admitted in one of his latest interviews that this team has hung its hat on offense, so unlike any Self team in the past and quite an admission from a coach who before this year, was relentless in his defensive approach. So the question moving foward, can this team make a 6 game run in the tourmament with this style of basketball?

Two main factors to me moving foward:

1. As jaybate, says, will the tourney once again turn into muscle ball and can this team handle being pushed around a little bit with teams trying to disrupt what has been a fine tuned machine on offense. K-State took us out of our rythm on offense and we were not disciplined enough to be patient and run our offense, which brings me to the second point.

2. TT, the topic of this article, can he put together 6 good games in a row. In my mind, he makes this team go on the defensive end, one slip up and we will be done.

I believe this team may have 1 or 2 more set backs before the end of the regular season.

As coach HBCS has stated, we have hung our hats on offense, so one stat alone may be an easy indicator to see where this team is headed: assists.

For the year, we average 18.3, in our 2 losses 12.

joeloveshawks 3 years, 1 month ago

The thing that truly worries me about Tyshawn being bothered by the crowd and the moment and the atmosphere is he is one of the guys who should be able to take big shots down the stretch or make big passes or shut down a guy on defense when we really need a stop. I really hope that he gets his confidence up soon because we have to have him. While thinking about it, if we get into a tied game in the tourney, what guard takes the shot? We don't really have a Keith Langford or a Mario Chalmers or a Sherron Collins this year.

Clydecito 3 years, 1 month ago

Our point guard situation is what it is. Josh IS a freshman, who started his KU career with a serious hand/finger injury which prohibited his participation in a summer of practice. His 'handles' are still recovering. Then he sat for the suspensions and just when he was getting comfortable with his position and play (as was his teammates) he sat with his foot problem. Unlike other freshmen who become sophomores through a season of play, he just hasn't got the game playing experience of the other freshmen in the country. He is not ready to run point, nor does his health status justify the disruption of a rotation that has produced a 24-2 record, to 'experiment'. . TT's head, ego and maturity have always shown troubling propensities, and about the time you figure he's conquered those problems, they pop up again. I don't know, maybe benching him for Josh would be the awakening moment TT needs, but I doubt it. I fear it would wreck the mindset that is TT to the teams detriment. I'm just glad to be a fan of the program and will keep cheering these guys on while watching the staff work their magic, with what they've got.

REHawk 3 years, 1 month ago

football08, we get in an early foul situation with the 3 bigs, then we are forced to play smaller with Little, or the yet undeveloped Withey must be counted upon. Would seem best to employ Little in minutes when we are not forced to sub in desperation.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 1 month ago

Brady for President!!!

I mean, Point Guard.

REHawk 3 years, 1 month ago

HEM, I have thought along the same lines. Problem, as I see it, what then does Coach do with Tyrel? Start him at the 3? He is definitely a 34 minute player if this team can maintain focus.

kufootball2008 3 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn should play, but NOT start.

1- Selby 2- Reed 3- Marcus 4- Markieff 5- Robinson

1st off bench- Brady 2nd off bench- Tyshawn 3rd off bench- Little

Would be tough for the three big guy to play so much, but that may be what it takes to cut down the nets in April.

Funhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

The glass is not half empty. The glass is 92% full.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 1 month ago

(cont) Sometimes, the answer is just that easy. Sometimes, it is not complicated. There you have it. Right in front of you. Just consider what he says.

Couple that with the fact that since Selby arrived, TT's assists have dropped from 6.4 to 4.7 (meaning his assists per game have been well below 4.7 since the first 9 games .. at the point Selby arrived), and despite the protests of the TT crowd .. the guy is not a playmaking point guard. He is a point guard that looks for his shot first when he drives to the hoop, rarely dishes, and has limited finishing ability (thus the TT-crowd's argument that his misses on drives really benefit the team because some of them get rebounded by us, and some of those turn into points).

The answer: Move TT to the 2 spot, give Selby the ball. It might relax TT so that he might play better, and it puts the ball in our most athletic, play-making player's hands. It is a risky move. A bold move. A move that could, in the end, take us to the promised land. A move that could flame-out. For those that are averse to risk, you will only see the negative. You will only see that our level of play could decline. Open your mind, as Morpheous would say.

Selby could struggle and could make some boneheaded plays. Expect that if he is moved to the 1. But he could explode. He could ... could ... be the man. We play Colorado and OSU at home the next two games .. perfect time to start the experiment.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 1 month ago

TT says in the story above: "I was really rattled. “The crowd was into it. It was one of those games I was like, ‘Man, I don’t know what to do right now.’ I know all of us played our part in losing, but I think if I’d played a better game, we had a better chance."

From the Topeka Capital Journal: “It was just one of those games where ... I had a turnover from the beginning, I had another turnover right off the bat, then it was just like, man, it’s one of them days,” Taylor said. “Jake came down, hit a three, he got me in the air and got three free throws. Again, I’m like, ‘Dang, it’s one of them games.’ ”

Also from the Topeka Capital Journal: “We struggle with focus,” Self said. “We struggle with being able to maintain things. Distractions, no matter how minimal they are, if that was a factor Monday, what will it be like in the NCAA Tournament when distractions are more?” Taylor didn’t go into specifics, but he admitted to having been distracted by things going on in his life outside the basketball arenas. “I think that’s part of it, but I’m not gonna make excuses,” he said. “That’s my job. I’ve got to come ready to play.”

Here's the link, fyi: http://cjonline.com/sports/2011-02-17/kus-taylor-i-sucked

Please read the above-cited quotes and digest them. This is not a freshman, nor a sophomore. This is your junior point guard who has basically started every game since he was a freshman. You know how they say that freshman, but the end of his freshman season is really a sophomore ... this guy is nearly a senior? This should cause all Jayhawks fans .. and coaches .. great pause and concern. If he's going to be rattled to the point of accepting defeat .. going to be "one of them games" .. can't keep his composure .. "Man, I don't know what to do now" .. I can't imagine what he will do on a bigger stage, under brighter lights, with the season on the line, one and done, in March.

As an aside, I know we'll get the comments .. "coach Self knows what he is doing", "you don't know more than coach Self", as well as the every other option other than TT won't work or is "stupid" crowd. It's already started above on this thread. And I know those that subscribe to those positions like a religion will make every excuse in the world for TT. It's like the sun rising in the east. But your heart is in the right place. You are attempting to support your team. That's fine. That is appreciated.

But back to reality. Is this seriously the point guard, the floor leader in whose hands coach Self is going to place our tournament future?

bennybob 3 years, 1 month ago

This is what i have been waiting to see since monday. The kids actually owning up to the fact that they screwed up big time. Admitting you have a problem is the first step in fixing it. Figure out what went wrong and learn from it, don't let it happen again.

Marcus saying the snakes in the grass tweet wasn't about the fans is complete B.S. his explanation was it was "just about a lot of people". a lot of people? like the tons of fans? thats a pretty lame backtrack.

I also think its funny that self now says "Hopefully from this point forward they will" when reffering to the twins keeping there emotions under control when before he made the blanket statement that is would not happen again, now its HOPEFULLY it wont happen again. I think even bill is getting to the point where he doesn't think the twins have it in them. They need to quit talking the talk and start walking the walk. actions speak louder then words quit telling us your going to address it and just address it!

Que the homers calling me a troll and attacking me for not seeing the world through their crimson and blue biased glasses in 3....2....1.....

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 1 month ago

If Self would put Budweiser Brady on the bench and keep him there, that would be a good start in getting this team some chemistry. He was a lot of the problems in the KST. game and the struggles that KU has been going through. 5th year senior, what a total loser. Johnson should have been the one who should be getting the mins. on the floor. Self, I don't know what his problem is but, he is not helping this team.

No_phog 3 years, 1 month ago

When is the coach responsible?

Seems there was a lack of Defensive plan.

Justin Carlson 3 years, 1 month ago

I respect that tyshawn has tried to make a mends or defend is poor play! He explains that he will be extremly focused next time out! Does he have the skills or the mindset to right the ship? I am concerned he doesn't! As we have all seen his past 2 3/4 seasons when he is not playing well he shuts down! He does not grit his teeth and pick it up on the defensive end he pouts and jogs to the defensive end after a turnover. (Huge concern from your starting point guard)

The twins> Poor play=A bonehead sometimes questionable play ie (intentional foul, pouting, or running their mouths.)

I respect all 3 and the genuine attempt at an apology to their team, coaching staff, and jayhawk nation!

But as history has proven with these three. Do they have the mental mindset to respond in a positive manner?

Myself, I have concerns and the cupboard is very bare in the point guard positiion, and with the scoring guard tandum at CU coming we may findout really quick how Tyshawn will repsond!

Good luck Saturday! We may very well see the true nature of this team on Saturday afternoon!

3 years, 1 month ago

Here is another article with some different quotes:

One I particularly like from Coach Self:

“Winning covers a lot of ills.”

This is so true, and makes me think about the close wins we have had this year in which we didn’t play well. Our record could easily be several losses worse than 24-2 right now.

One thing about TT, love him or hate him, he is our best dribble-drive penetrator to the basket. If he focused better, he could create a ton of shots for others and / or himself.

Looking forward to turning the loss at K-State into positive motivation for the rest of the season.

Lebowski 3 years, 1 month ago

I am not going to get into either my opinion of TT as a person.. or my opinion of him as a basketball player. But the following is true and no one can debate it:

I am really sick of watching TT play basketball. I don't even enjoy it anymore. I enjoy the time he's on the bench more than the time he's on the floor.

Sorry

Ron Franklin 3 years, 1 month ago

Is the point of this article to provoke a Tyshawn Bash-a-Thon?

I sure hope not.

Please don't take the bait.

joeloveshawks 3 years, 1 month ago

Tyshawn is probably the most inconsistent guard we have had in a starting role since Bill has taken over and honestly I can't remember a similar player under Roy. I like Tyshawn, but he doesn't do anything REALLY well. He is not a great shooter, he is not a great defender, he is not a great ball handler and unfortunately we are seeing that he is also not a great leader - which is what I think most of us were hoping for at the beginning of the season. I think he is an important part of our team as Selby and EJ are really young, but Tyrel and Brady are going to have to do a large majority of the stepping up when we get in close games in the tourney. With all of that said, I hope Tyshawn figures things out and starts playing well down the stretch.

ManOnTheMoon 3 years, 1 month ago

Man... I can't help but completely agree with Cus on the snakes comment. If anyone got on this site Monday night you would think "fans" we wanting the brothers' Morris kicked off the team. Ganted, some of the recent actions by the twins are not what KU stands for, we still need to be behind this team. This is a great team. We haven't been this explosive in a while. Memories of Roy's teams scoring 90+ points night in and night out. This team WILL be fine in March, and WILL play in the Final Four. Three juniors and two seniors starting is something not many other schools have...

jayhawkinATL 3 years, 1 month ago

Awesome job, folks!!! Tyrel has opened up quite a lead in the popular vote. Keep voting!!!

UmbertoConforti 3 years, 1 month ago

TT isn't the only person to blame for the K-State blow out. Likewise, K-State played a good game. Few players ever have games like Jake "the Human Earthquake" had. I really believe the inside game hurt more than anything else.

leonard 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't have any problems with the leadership and coaching of Self. Some complaints along the way...sure...I get to do that as a fan.

Our staff has been through the wars of a long season many times. One game does not define a season but one game does define the fragile nature of Taylor.

Any player can have an off night when their shots don't fall...but there is no excuse for a very experienced junior to fail to give his best EFFORT defensively...or crap his pants because of a raucous KSU crowd.

Taylor's a nice asset for the squad but after nearly three years it's time to recognize his shortcomings and give him the quick hook on the nights when he fails to bring the effort.

Keith Richards 3 years, 1 month ago

These message boards are a complete joke. A lot of you have bashed this KU team since Monday night. Give it a rest and let them play some basketball.

FairgroveJayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

It's good for Tyshawn, Marcus and Markieff to accept responsibility. It's good to get that focus and move forward. They've each shown moments of brilliance this season and a loss such as KState will only make them stronger.

Keep that focus. Rock Chalk

Matt Bowers 3 years, 1 month ago

Is it too late for Tyrel or Brady to take control and be leaders? Why is it that the three people who aren't level headed are leading this team? Whatever happened to leading by example?

The Twins don't bother or worry me-yes they are emotional-yes they have a reputation, but they don't cost KU games and they appear to always give a 100%. My real concern is with TT. He is too far into his career to be playing these type of games and to be losing focus. I said it before and I'm saying it now...TT needs to lay off the pot or whatever it is that has crawled onto his back. TT's play is out of control and as he goes, so does the team.

I'm predicting that the Twins rebound nicely and that TT, eager to prove he can play defense, ends up with two quick fouls and on the bench. Hope not, but I haven't seen anything to think differently.

Rock Chalk

Janet Scott 3 years, 1 month ago

Quite frankly, this rehash of the KSU game by the LJW is just plain silly. The "confession" by TT is not needed. I suspect TT feels he must publicly "confess" because the LJW just won't let it rest with TT -- one game he is praised, and the next he is the worst player on the team, according to the all-knowing LJW sports staff.

For heaven's sake, this team is 24-2. 24-2! And on most nights they are as good a bet to win the national championship as anyone else. Next, the LJW will be whinning about the "timid" play of this KU team, will be critizing KU that they've lost their much needed swagger, their aggressiveness and confidence.

TT will be all right -- so will Selby. And KU will be fine, too. Self and his staff are not paid to run a confessional or to be full time psychiatrists. Focus on the basketball, LJW; and what can be, not what was in Manhattan last Monday. Forget it! Cease over-analyzing. It's time to move forward.

gratefultyler 3 years, 1 month ago

“Why would you go public and say something if somebody could ever throw it back at you? Why would you do those things? That’s what I’m talking about — focus,” Self said. Glad this was finally brought up. That was bulletin board material at its best.

pigballin 3 years, 1 month ago

Let's face it.TT is not the player to be starting at point or or a starter. He is what he is..not that talented with a basketball in his hands. Also,his upright defensive stance should have been corrected by now.

Self should be kicking himself for staying with TT this long and not going with the highly rated Selby who has the best handles to play that position.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 1 month ago

In the Topeka paper Taylor says he is dealing with things off the court. I am surprised this news media did not quote him on that. He needs to keep his mind on the court for at least 2-3 hours and forget his personal life and stuff. There have been some things being said about this issue but he needs to shut it out for those 2-3 hours.