Friday, February 18, 2011

KU basketball’s Tyrel Reed, Brady Morningstar on Academic All-Big 12 team

Kansas guard Tyrel Reed gives a celebratory shove to teammate Brady Morningstar after Morningstar picked up a steal, a bucket and drew a foul during the first half of the CBE Classic Monday, Nov. 24, 2008 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

Videos

Bill Self weekly press conference, Feb. 17, 2011

video thumbnail

Kansas head coach Bill Self addressed the media at his weekly press conference Thursday, Feb. 17, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University seniors Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar were named to the Academic All-Big 12 basketball team announced Thursday by the conference office.

Reed was a first-team selection for the third straight year. Freshmen are not eligible. Morningstar was tapped second-team.

Reed graduated in December with a degree in exercise science/pre-physical therapy. He has been accepted into KU Medicine's physical therapy school. Morningstar graduated in May 2010.

To qualify, players must maintain a 3.00 GPA or higher either cumulative or the two previous semesters and must have participated in 60 percent of their team’s scheduled contests. First-team members include those who have maintained a 3.20 or better GPA, and the second teamers are those who have a 3.00 to 3.19 GPA.

Comments

Dirk Medema 9 years ago

Good Job Guys. Obviously the same dedication that has made you sucessful on the court as well.

gratefultyler 9 years ago

Congrats boys! This is truely an honor and you make Jayhawk nation what it is today, proud and humbled.

KULA 9 years ago

How can you be on this year's All Academic team when you graduated last year?

KULA 9 years ago

I'd be pretty p-o'd if I got bumped from the honor by a guy who graduated last year. What's up with that?

rwhawk 9 years ago

I was thinking the same thing. But wouldn't he have to be enrolled in classes in order to play? My guess is that the article left that out.

lincase 9 years ago

Both are in graduate school, I believe.

Alan Braun 9 years ago

They have to be enrolled in some minimum number of hours to play. For these guys those are graduate school classes I'm sure. Actually I'm pretty sure I've read that somewhere.

jaybate 9 years ago

"How frigging lame are Tyrel and Brady? Getting AcAll12 for high GPAs, graduating, and being in grad school? These guys suck. I'm a flipping troll. What of it? And I wasn't breast fed either. So what? I'm entitled to berate accomplishment that I couldn't possibly duplicate, even if my father were Bill Self and my mother were Chancellor Bernie. I suck. I have always sucked. I resent how inferior I am to these guys. Cut me some slack. I have to complain about something, because my wife uses me for an emotional tampon and doesn't give me any. My father never thought I was as good as my brother. My boss always gives me the scutt work. The adult video store has cut off my credit. My car has been repossessed twice. I haven't had a steak in two months. Man, would I be P.O.ed if I got bumped for some one who graduated last year." --KULA

(Note: All fiction. No malice. Just satirizing Nick Negative. Cheer up, Nick, things will get better.)

jayhawktalk 9 years ago

Don't know that it should have been directed at KULA, as I read the post as a simple question with no implied meaning, but I have to say, the content is epic. Freaking hilarious & well done!

Michael Luby 9 years ago

Oh my God thats so freekin funny!!!

SDSurferFan 9 years ago

Couldn't find a better photo? It's cute.

Randy Glenn 9 years ago

Great honor for those two. Thats either one big head or one little head!!!!!

KUFan90 9 years ago

Brady's head is ~2.37X larger than Tyrel's head. Fact is stranger than fiction.

Ron Franklin 9 years ago

Could only be prouder if they were my own children.

That photo makes their heads look weird, though.

lincase 9 years ago

I have said this before, but I am especially proud of the players who let us cherish our illusions about student athletes. For those who are interested, you can go to big12sports.com and see the rest of the team.

Justin Carlson 9 years ago

WOW!! HEY GUYS LOOK! QUICK! DON'T MISS IT!!

RIGHT THERE!! OUR TRUE TEAM LEADERS IN THE PHOTO ABOVE!

YOU WANT THE RIGHT WAY TO DO THINGS SCOLL UP!!

CONGRATS BOYS!! LEAD YOUR TEAM INTO THE POSTSEASON!!

REHawk 9 years ago

Congratulations, guys. You have earned nice honors to accompany your earnest play.

Sally Presson 9 years ago

Congratulations Tyrell & Brady!!! You are great leaders!!! Being a student athlete and receiving academic honors is extremely difficult. Basketball is probably the most difficult sport to keep your grades up and also be a star on the team. I would venture to say no one knows what you go through daily to keep up your work. We're sure going to miss you two next year. But we're enjoying you while we can.

Rock Chalk!!!

KU_FanSince75 9 years ago

Include me too, sallyp, with your post. Congrats, Tyrell & Brady! Nice honor!

RockCaCO3 9 years ago

Good job Tyrell and Brady!!!

RCJH!!!

Michael Luby 9 years ago

jaybate 9 years ago

Lulu,

You're no longer my designated nurse.

Calling Brady a stoner in a public forum without producing evidence that would stand up in court, were a wealthy father to finance a defamation suit against you?

That ain't right, Lulu. Take it back, or produce the evidence.

Rock Chalk!

phi4life940 9 years ago

In order to maintain a defamation suit Brady would have to show that he lost out on something (i.e., a job) directly because of lulu's post which is unlikely. Also the cost of litigation would likely outweigh any recourse sought....just sayin.

I say...congrats to both Tyrell and Brady. Rock Chalk

phi4life940 9 years ago

Who knew my auto correct would give Tyrel two l's....whoops.

jaybate 9 years ago

Thanks. You're my designated iLawyer.

Lulu still ought to take it back.

rockchalk80 9 years ago

Brady is still in school? Grin, isn't he 30? must be grad school. LOL just kidding, good job Brady.

Michael Bratisax 9 years ago

Congrats!! Well deserved. These are two great representatives of the University of Kansas!

actorman 9 years ago

Congrats, guys, you make Jayhawk nation proud!

I'm not sure I agree with you, Sally, that basketball is the toughest sport in which to excel academically. I have no doubt that it's very tough, but I would think that would apply to many sports. One that comes to mind as perhaps tougher would be baseball, with all the traveling they have to do. But regardless of whether it's the toughest, it's still a hell of an accomplishment to do well in both basketball and academics.

Michael Bratisax 9 years ago

Good info ralster..I didn't know Josh was doing so well in class.

gchawk 9 years ago

Very proud of you two. It takes a lot of work and dedication to do what you're doing, very proud of both of you.