Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Kansas basketball walk-on Christian Garrett settling in

Kansas University walk-on Christian Garrett warms up with the Jayhawks before their game against Missouri on Feb. 7 at Allen Fieldhouse. Garrett, a Los Angeles native, will be eligible to play with the team in the 2011-2012 season.

New Kansas University basketball walk-on Christian Garrett had a rather emotional, out-of-the-ordinary first day on campus.

He arrived from IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla., on Jan. 21, the day Thomas Robinson’s mom, Lisa, died of an apparent heart attack back in Washington, D.C.

“Watching how close the team was helped me be at ease with my decision (to attend KU),” said Garrett, a 6-foot-3, 170-pound freshman originally from Los Angeles. “Coach (Bill) Self ... the way he handled it and talked to everybody ... he wasn’t like a coach who brings somebody in and doesn’t ever talk to them (players). He actually cares about them.”

The personable Garrett — he chose KU over North Carolina State, Alabama and Auburn and elected to enroll immediately and practice but not play in games in preparation for the start of his official career in 2011-12 — felt comfortable speaking to Robinson about this most serious issue.

“I went up to Thomas and basically said, ‘I’m new here. I don’t know you,’ but I told him my mom was sick before. She almost died (when Christian was in high school in L.A.). I said, ‘The biggest thing you can do, what I did in that situation was get closer to God and just be thankful for everything I have.’ I said, ‘The best thing you can do now is be successful for her.’’’

Garrett — he played his sophomore year at Campbell Hall High in North Hollywood, Calif., and his junior season at Stone Ridge Prep in Tarzana, Calif. — was off to a successful start this season at IMG. He averaged 14.0 points, 7.0 assists and 6.0 rebounds a game for a team that plays small colleges and prep schools.

“This is different, a big transition, but great,” Garrett said of KU. “I like it even though it’s hard because I see what I have to work on. In high school, I could see what my weaknesses were. Now I get to work on them against better competition.”

He entered the major college mix right away, practicing with the team his first day as an official member of the program.

“They gave me everything (gear) and threw me right in,” Garrett said with a smile. “I went out and guarded Tyshawn (Taylor) and Elijah (Johnson) a lot and Tyrel (Reed). The hardest thing about it was the reaction time on defense. Definitely they are a lot quicker and stronger. You’ve always got to be ready to play. If you are just kind of out there playing, you’ll get lost easily.”

Garrett, who played for Belmont Shore AAU program, became acquainted with current KU freshman Royce Woolridge at the Pangos All-America camp last summer. Garrett made the top 50 at that camp and was a top 25 pick at the Fullcourt Press All-West camp.

“We both did pretty well at that (Pangos) camp,” Garrett said. “Royce has been cool. Everybody’s been cool and treated me well.”

Garrett — he said his goal is to earn a scholarship in the future and play meaningful minutes at Kansas — is hoping to welcome another buddy to campus this summer.

He’s best friends of DeAndre Daniels, a 6-8 forward from IMG, who is considering KU, Texas and Kentucky.

“I lived with him throughout the year and I’ve known him four years. He’s like family, like a brother,” Garrett said. “There were a lot of schools I was looking at he wasn’t looking at. We’ve always wanted to go to the same school. We said we’d do what’s best for each other. The only thing I can tell him is that there’s nothing like this place. I think he knows that. I think it’s just going to be him making the right decision (for himself).”

Combo guard Garrett was confident in his decision when he and other family members spoke with Self late in the decision-making process.

“My mom (Cynthia) kept on feeling this is where God wanted me to be and she felt at peace with it (decision),” Garrett said. “After meeting with coach Self and seeing the place and getting to think about the other places I’ve seen ... there’s no place like this.

“I’ve always been about getting better. I’m not done as a player. My body hasn’t matured. I’m not done growing. I wanted to go to the place I could reach my full potential. This is definitely the right time and the right place.”

KU senior Brady Morningstar likes the person he’s just starting to get to know.

“You’ve got to know he’s young and coming here right from high school bright eyed and bushy tailed ... everything is new,” Morningstar said, noting everything has to be overwhelming for Garrett. “He’s a good kid who works hard and is going to get better.”

Coach Self noted Garrett “is a quality young man that will be a great representative of us. He’s also a very good athlete that has a chance to be a very good basketball player.”

His AAU coach, Dinos Trigonis, also indicated Garrett “is very athletic for his size. He’s a late-bloomer, growing-wise. He’s listed as 6-3. He may be a little taller than that, closer to 6-4. He’s improved a lot. Although he was inconsistent at times in the summer, he had some good moments, especially offensively. He has a chance down the road. From a walk-on standpoint, he has a lot of long-term potential and academically will enhance the team significantly. He is an excellent student.”

Garrett — he’s taking four classes his first semester at KU — said he’s enjoyed everything about his time on campus, even trudging through the recent winter blizzard.

“The snow was cool,” said Garrett, who committed to KU despite never having stepped in the state before. “I’d seen snow, but not like that. The snow was cool, but I’d say the Missouri game was the wildest moment so far because it was the first time I was into the game, standing up and yelling, seeing how loud the crowd was, being on the sideline for the game and working out before the game and seeing the fans. That’s the craziest thing so far.”

So far Garrett, whose great uncle, Bill Garrett, played basketball collegiately at Indiana (1949-51) and cousins Mike Garrett and Chris Chambliss played for the K.C. Chiefs and New York Yankees respectively — has maintained a low profile.

He’s conducted just this one interview and has managed to avoid getting recognized on campus, unheard of for a KU basketball player.

All in good time.

“Honestly I feel God brought me here so I know everything will be fine,” Garrett said. “I know after a couple months of this I’ll be a whole different player and be a step ahead (for next season). I have focus.”

He has high hopes for KU (24-2) the rest of this season.

“As far as executing, they are the best from every team I’ve seen,” Garrett said. “They are really close as a family. I feel it’s a real balanced team. Just watching from the bench, we’ve got to guard a lot better. I don’t know how, but if we figure it out, that would make the biggest difference.”

Comments

kusportsdotcom 3 years, 7 months ago

" He’s listed as 6-3. He may be a little taller than that, closer to 6-4"

Nobody is ever listed as SHORTER than what they actually are. like juenemann at 6'4"? Yea right. Cole 6'11? Not even close, as the draft measurements told us.

none of this really matters. just wanted to say it

farawayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I know what you mean, but I think in this case the point they were making is he is still growing. He may have grown since the last listing.

Ty Mar 3 years, 7 months ago

Cole sure looked 6'11 on the court..but then again...if every basketball player gets an inch and 1/2 added...it doesn't matter does it?

jakejayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I thought there was an interesting aspect to that revelation (assuming it was true) regarding Cole's height, and I never heard anyone with this take. Most folks kind of went "Whoa" when they heard it and thought his potential to be reduced. I saw the news and went "Whoa, if that's true, I'm even more amazed at how Cole dominated the paint if he was really 6' 8". It's one thing to do it as a long-armed 6' 11" center. It's quite another at 6' 8"." The shorter they list him, the more impressive his results!

bulltown03 3 years, 7 months ago

It all depends, sometimes they measure with shoes on, other times without. Rush was 6'6" while here but measured as 6'7" in the NBA. on the other hand Beasley was measured something like 6'9" in college and 6'8" in pro.

texashawk10 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm 6'5 and I've stood next to Cole and he's more than 3 inches taller than me. I think he's probably 6'10 but there is no way he is only 6'8.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Can't imagine Cole is shorter than 6'10". I'm gauging that only by seeing him on the court, of course, but he has to be at least that height.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 7 months ago

Funny thing is that the NBA lists Cole as 6'-11"... http://www.nba.com/playerfile/cole_aldrich/index.html So does ESPN-NBA... http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4267/cole-aldrich and Fox Sports... http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/player/cole-aldrich/821205 and Sports Illustrated... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/players/4726/index.html and CBS Sports... http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1755171/cole-aldrich and Draft Express... http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Cole-Aldrich-1250/ and Yahoo Sports... http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/72840

I take that the NBA (and other organizations) measures and list players using the same standard; so, Cole Aldrich, it would seem, is the same height as all other NBA players listed as 6'-11"

Kye Clark 3 years, 7 months ago

Good article, seems like a good kid. I don't know what the future holds for him in terms of playing time, but it's nice to have so many quality guys for practices. Justin Wesley, Niko Roberts, Jordan Juenemann, Royce Woolridge...and now Christian. All these guys could be starting at some mid-major I would think. And who knows? You look at guys like Brady & Tyrel, guys that weren't heavily recruited by the elite level programs and after a lot of hard work are starters on one of the handful of teams with a realistic shot at a National Championship. Maybe one of these guys will take a similar path and play a similar role down the line.

hawk316 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree, 316. If he is, indeed, a late bloomer, who knows how good he may be by the time he is a senior, given his great attitude and work ethic? I like this kid already. He seems to have his head screwed on right and his heart in the right place.

Christian, welcome to KU! As you said, "there’s no place like this." May God richly bless your time in Lawrence.

leonard 3 years, 7 months ago

"The hardest thing about it was the reaction time on defense. Definitely they are a lot quicker and stronger. You’ve always got to be ready to play. If you are just kind of out there playing, you’ll get lost easily.” - Christian Garrett

Ye gods...he's barely got his suitcase unpacked and he understands what Taylor hasn't figured out in 3 years.

mdalesh 3 years, 7 months ago

Excellent Point! Starting to look like it's hard to get playing time in practice.

doolindalton 3 years, 7 months ago

If he can dribble without bouncing the ball off his foot, knows which man he is supposed to be guarding, and can consistently make layups and 80 percent of his freethrows, he is definitely a candidate for starting point guard next season because KU seemingly doesn't have anyone who can do that now.

Jacobpaul81 3 years, 7 months ago

If that's the case, we haven't had one in three years. We've won a lot of games in three years with no starting point guard.

2_Phoggy 3 years, 7 months ago

My thoughts exactly. Yes, Sherron was a Point Guard. And yeah, he was decent....... His jersey will be retired

bulltown03 3 years, 7 months ago

def sherron... he had turnovers but he was a game changer at the 1 spot

goshenjhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Ok, I need some advice from my fellow Jayhawks. I was going to bring this up yesterday, but after the debacle Monday night I knew everyone needed a chance to vent. So my wife and I are expecting our first child in a couple months and were at the doctor's office Monday afternoon. I was wearing a Jayhawk shirt, and during some small talk I found out that he is a Mizzou fan! What do I do? What if he somehow taints the innocent child? We see various doctors at this office and any of them could help deliver our baby just depending on who is on call. So he may not be the one but should we take that chance? Please advise...

Jim Roth 3 years, 7 months ago

Good parenting and education will easily overcome any potential postnatal contamination. I think you're fine. Health and safety are your priority now. Wisdom, passion, and priorities (e.g., KU basketball) you will instill down the line.

Congratulations, and good luck.

phi4life940 3 years, 7 months ago

This is hilarious. Haha

I concur with tundrahok. Baby Jay is on the way. Congrats

57JayHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

goshenjhawk, lmao, you just released me from all the worries of the world. I forgot how basic a Jayhawks' needs really are. The recognition that there are evil forces out there that could affect the innocence of your child is evidence you'll be a fine parent.

A quick story. When my daughter was 6 and her sister was 14, the younger and I were driving in the car. She had been unusually quiet and when we pulled up to a stop light, she spoke up.

"Dad?"

I glanced in the rear view mirror at her in the back seat. My normally bubbly little girl was very pensive and nervous, looking out the window rather than looking at me. "Yes."

"Jilli is thinking about going to MU after high school."

Now this was news to me. "She is?"

"Yes."

I replied, "Well, what do you think of that?"

She was now looking down at her feet. She slowly looked up at me in the mirror and said, "Well, we could still love her."

"Yea, I guess we could still love her."

My daughter smiled at me and then looked back out the window. Little Jayhawks understand the importance of the world at an early age. BTW, her sister didn't choose MU. Thank God!

KUFan90 3 years, 7 months ago

Awesome story 57! Gave me a smile today.

lincase 3 years, 7 months ago

I taught genetics, goshenjhawk, and I am pleased to report that the dominant Jayhawk genes will easily overcome any possible bad vibes from the doctor. These were two great stories above. I am thankful for the perspective.

Ron Prichard 3 years, 7 months ago

Absolutely hilarious! And told perfectly, too.

goshenjhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Loved the story 57! Sure made me smile! I hope to instill that kind of Jayhawk love & pride in my child. And thank God, the story had a happy ending with your older daughter's choices!

yukdown 3 years, 7 months ago

My daughter actually considered going to MU. I told her if she did, I was just going to tell everyone she was in prison in Mexico, because it would be easier to explain. :-)

kwhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Assuming the doctor received his education at KU med, there shouldn't be a problem! Congrats.

741hawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Take no chances. Discover a Jayhawk in the group and schedule an inducement. (From personal experience: Had my wife induced so that I could go with my older son to the Texas vs Texas A&M game in College Station.)

KUbsee69 3 years, 7 months ago

Go have a custom T-shirt or "onesie" printed up that says:

"The first person to touch me when I was born was an MU fan ... but the nurse soon washed that off".

RockCaCO3 3 years, 7 months ago

A baby Jayhawk ALWAY out trumps a grown Missery fan (even a doctor). The baby Jayhawk will prevail!

Good luck and enjoy your new bambino. They're a hoot.

shinguard 3 years, 7 months ago

I hear ya. 14 years ago my wife was pregnant with our first. I come to find out that the only hospital on our plan was on the Missouri side of KC. I know what you are going through. I tried to get my wife to consider home birthing (as we lived in Olathe) but she was not up to it. To this day I cannot tell people he was actually born in Missouri because that may reflect poorly on him as well the rest of my family.

Well we went ahead and our son was born in Missouri. Every year when he goes in for his school physical, I make sure the doctor is aware that he was born in Missouri so doctor can make certain that nothing is wrong (I don't know. Maybe they would have to perform additional tests or something). So far, I have not seen any ill affects and I feel we have dodged a bullet.

I tell you this because I am no longer worried about where he was born and I think you will be alright as well.

Congrats and thanks for sharing your news

P.S. If anyone is offended by this comment, please know that no malice is intended

LAJayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Poor kid. You realize Grampa Simpson would not consider him a citizen of this country..... :-)

mojayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Consider the delivery room your baby Jay's first mission field.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 7 months ago

I think you need to investigate further. What about the nurses? Are their uniforms black and yellow? What if a C-Section is required. Do you know anything about the anesthesiologist? Is it in a religious hospital? What about the Nuns and Priests? They could really mess this up if they're from the wrong side. I'd even investigate the pharmacy. They could 'accidentally' send the wrong stuff. Even the cafeteria workers where you eat. You've got to do your homework man. Don't leave this to chance. Even when everything's gone well, and the nurse is wheeling your wife and newborn out to the car, she 'accidentally' gives the chair an extra shove, right over the curb and your progeny and beloved are sprawling on the pavement. Finally, I have a similar distrust of Cubs fans, so you might want to bring up baseball, and if they like the Cubs, get out right now.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 7 months ago

Next time, take Coach Fambrough with you!

jchawkfan 3 years, 7 months ago

That was good. But that video led to about an hour of of more video watching. Here is what I ended up watching. 1). Mizzou NOT so one shining moment. 2). The KU 2008 National Championship One Shining moment. -(Twice) Got goose bumps both times. 3). 2011 KU/Mizzu Intro Video 4). 2011 KU/KSU Intro Video (Really Good watch) 5). 2011 KSU Intro Video (Was curious what would be on it) -Laughed and only watch 1 min worth no one in stands???? 6). 2009 Late Night Intro Video (Another Really Good Watch) 7). KU kid stands up behind Erin Andrews and mouths HOT. 8). Erin Andrews interview with Jimmy Kimmel Part 1&2. See what one little video snow balled into.

And Congrats and Good Luck goshenjhawk. I have a 2 yr old and if she is not asleep she watches the games with me and points out every Jay Hawk she sees or "Caulk Caulk" as she says.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 7 months ago

I was home sick today and could waste an hour, what's your excuse?!!!

jchawkfan 3 years, 7 months ago

At work. But watching u tube videos was way better. It was well worth my time to watch them. Hope you get to feeling better.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 7 months ago

A misery fan & grad are two diff animals. Heaven forbid he was "an antler." I heard that Jesse James was too...and he's really still alive and is on the board of regents and is only 175 yrs old. Do they really teach medicine in misery? I knew about arson & robbery. All kidding aside, congratulations abound and good luck with the "backup"...plan B or C may be the best alternative. Ha! Hey, is that Goshen, Indiana? I've a son & daughter-in-law in Elkhart. Nice country-if you like tons of snow. Anyhoo, good luck & Bless you all & Baby Jaybird! No matter who delivers, I don't think the doc can screw up the birthday suit, even if he is from misery!

goshenjhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes it is Goshen, Indiana. Is your son a Jayhawk fan? It's good to know of other true blue fans here in the land of philistines:) Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 7 months ago

If you're from IN, then you'll probably appreciate.

My grad degree is from Purdue, so there were friends that had t-shirts saying they were hoosiers by birth, but Boilermakers by the grace of God.

Pray for divine intervention?

Woody Cragg 3 years, 7 months ago

Is a bullfrog waterproof? Absolutely! I've a concrete Jayhawk on the porch he left me when he first moved to Chicago in 06'. He met his wife there & moved to Elkhart in 09' They were married in 10' at the Southbend Hilton. She's trying to mold him into an Irish guy, but is a diehard KU man. Cut his teeth on JHawk hoops in the 80's, I made sure of that. Best wishes for the youngun, best, absolutely best years of your life when they are small. Take care & maybe we can talk more sometime. Sincerely, Phil

goshenjhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Thanks for the insight from all who replied! I had a smile on my face most of the day as I read your various posts. Thanks for all your congrats and well wishes, I intend to raise this child as a true Jayhawk for life:)

LAJayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

There obviously is only one choice: you must deliver this child yourself. Boil some water and tear some sheets (what? That's what they always do in sitcoms!)

Good luck with the kid, and just know this: my 4 year old has lived almost his whole life 1600 miles away from Kansas in the heart of Pac 10 country and he bleeds Crimson and Blue. You just got to put the effort in... there's very little more important to a youngsters upbringing... :)

Of course, he was born in Lawrence, so... uh... that doesn't help shinguard much....

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 7 months ago

He and Withey need to plan meaks together and schedule Hudy to work with them frequently if they have a shot at being contributors in positive ways.

Scott Smetana 3 years, 7 months ago

Withey should be practicing basketball for about an hour a week and be with Hudy about 40 hours a week.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 7 months ago

I knew there was a "catch" in nabbing DeAndre Daniels. Hey, good article, though. The kid sounds like a good one. Good luck to you, Christian!

hammr25 3 years, 7 months ago

I wondered why there was a front page story about a walk-on and then when the article got to the part about DeAndre Daniels it all made sense. This is a great catch if it didn't cost a scholarship.

Jeffery Barrett 3 years, 7 months ago

Just what I was thinking '75.

Wow! Mike Garrett. 1965 Heisman Trophy winner and member of Chiefs Hall of Fame. Cool.

Joe Joseph 3 years, 7 months ago

Walk-ons named Christian have fared well at Kansas.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Haha, exactly what I thought. Great minds think alike... or stupid ones... or.. uh... yeah.

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

Lebowski,

I've been saving that one for a long time!

Glad you noticed. :-)

kureader 3 years, 7 months ago

Bravo.
You can, in fact, leave a short concise post!
Great job!

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

Doze Twitterers gots nuttin' on me!

Steve Brown 3 years, 7 months ago

lions resting with lambs, the end days are here, JBate is concise.

John Randall 3 years, 7 months ago

This kid has a lot more things together in one package than we hardly ever hear about around the AAU/prep academy circuit. He seems like another foundation piece for the basketball program and the University as well – more aligned with the heart and guts than with the face or image of what he's getting himself into.

Welcome, Chris, to one of God's special places for young people to continue on their life journey.

Theutus 3 years, 7 months ago

Sounds like a good kid... Hope he continues to put his game together and grow into his body so he can see some court time...

notigers4me 3 years, 7 months ago

Goshenjhawk I would do one thing and one thing only, GET A NEW DOCTOR. Don't take any chances with your wife or you child's health.

bdk980 3 years, 7 months ago

KUfan75... you sound pessimistic. If this is the "catch" your referring to, I'm fine with it if it means Daniels is going to don a Jayhawk uniform next season. This is a guy's a project and he's not taking a spot on the roster (at this point). He could be playing at a mid-major no prob, possible a lower end major conference school with a need to fill. Considering the likelihood of players leaving early for the draft, I see nothing wrong with giving a guy who, if he becomes good enough will see playing time as a 5th yr. senior, a chance. Talent alone only take you so far. I'll reference Xavier here (i.e. no hustle no heart...he was like a mercenary in stage 1 development). If I remember correctly, there was a "catch" to recruiting Aaron Miles. His name was Michael Lee. I really liked Lee. In todays game of college basketball, its very difficult (i.e. UK and lesser extent UNC) to win on talent alone. The problem is, you have to reload every 1-2 years which makes it extremely difficult to get your players to buy in (fully) to the team philosophy that will inevitably take them to that next level. Nothing wrong with giving a guy who is going to work hard, do everything asked of him, who has some talent, and is still developing a chance. Even in the likelihood that this kid and Daniels recruitment are unrelated, I'm still fine with it.

Jason Wilson 3 years, 7 months ago

6'3 170? Someone needs to be force-feeding that kid a gallon of ice cream every night

Ty Mar 3 years, 7 months ago

Who's the strength coach?Hudy? yea....she'll "fix him up". 6' 4 190 in 2 years.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

He's got time. And now a Hudy. Deadly combination. In fact, I think there is an equation for it...

Time+Hudy=Superawesomification

I could give you the whole proof, but I'd need a few pie charts and an easel.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 7 months ago

Pie charts indeed!

Funny how we were constantly concerned about Sherron pushing back from the table and now we have a couple of guys who need to pull UP to it and stay!

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 7 months ago

selby and morris' are all gone next year as long as they are 1st round projections... gonna need all the help we can get.

GoodwinK 3 years, 7 months ago

Just for the record...Selby has fallen to the 27th overall pick in the 2012 draft on the most reliable draft website. Maybe he'll stick around instead of drifting into NBA nothingness...

LAJayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

For some reason I'm feeling a bit confident that he will stick around. I think he's got a good head on his shoulders, and I think he knows another year could only do great things. Of course, I've never met or conversed with him in any form, so that intuition is worth about as much as John Calapari's integrity.

But it still feels right to me! :)

GoodwinK 3 years, 7 months ago

Come on down Deandre Daniels!

rockingthechalk 3 years, 7 months ago

This entire comment board is hilarious today. jayhawk nation is on fire!

bdk980 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree with your assessment of X... BUT, on the bright side, it did force (or maybe persuade is a better adjective) Little and Releford to take a redshirt...At the present moment, I like the idea of Releford being a 5th year and think Little is more vital to this years team than he could have been to lasts.

jayhawk1866 3 years, 7 months ago

I am in the military with 5 kids. We always ventured back to Wichita about a month before delivery to ensure a Kansas birth. Save your vacation days. It is your child's future.

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

lincase,

Since you mentioned you taught genetics, here is a little known tip about Gregor Mendel. He cooked an awesome breakfast. And he supposedly invented an egg dish someone has named "Eggs Mendel."

Recipe:

Put small pad of butter in a frying pan.

Turn burner to 4 on a scale of 10, 10 being hottest.

When the butter begins to bubble a little, crack one egg in the frying pan.

Let the egg cook enough to allow you to flip it over (cook as you would any "egg over soft")

Sprinkle a tea spoon, or two, of chopped shallot, on the turned egg while still in the pan.

Put a heaping soup spoon full of large curd cottage cheese on top of the shallot covered egg.

Tap the yoke three times with your spatula to make the yolk run.

Wait about 20 seconds, or until the cottage cheese just begins to run a bit.

Slide out on a plate.

Eat immediately.

It is very good.

Toast and bacon go well with it, but so does a bagel.

Strong coffee, too.

Mendel is king of breakfast, not just a wunderkind of genetics.

Rock Chalk!

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

Re Garret: let's hope he avoided his Uncle Mike's ethical framework.

Welcome Christian. If you can shoot the rock from trey, you can be our next glue man.

No_phog 3 years, 7 months ago

Kansas is God's paradise LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And according to some, the Garden Of Eden is in Missousri !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

I learned just last weekend that "The Garden of Eden" is located in Lucas, Kansas, and it was built around 1907 by Samuel P. Dinsmoor.

jayhawktalk 3 years, 7 months ago

Goshen, just be careful what you let your child watch. My wife, after hearing great things about it and because we all love musicals, decided to let my daughters watch High School Musical. They loved, loved, loved it! Harmless, right? Not so fast!

Mascot of the basketball team in High School Musical...? Wildcat. Now, every time daddy watches KSU, UK or AZ, my 3 year old (my oldest) gets so excited she nearly wets herself. It takes a lot of self control to nod and feign a smile when she proclaims repeatedly, publicly and with tremendous pride that her favorite team is "the Wildcats"... Any wildcats, she doesn't discriminate.

High School Musical is evil.

goshenjhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

LOL! How could you have known something like that would have such a negative impact?! That would be a bitter pill to swallow. It just shows one can never be too careful. But take heart, surely the infatuation with wildcats will fade and be replaced by an enduring love for Jayhawks. Thanks for the story:) RCJKU

Ron Franklin 3 years, 7 months ago

copied from a poster @ zagsblog. no i didn't verify any of his b/c I've been super strapped for time. but not too busy to look around re: ku bball:-)

"Star ratings are so overblown to begin with and have more to do with politics than skill. Angelo Chol is one of those guys who was late to the game, didn’t really start playing seriously until 9th grade, so many recruiting analysts were late to acknowledge his skills.

However, in case you didn’t know, he is currently 2nd All Time in career rebounds in the state of California… and 2nd All Time in the history of the country in blocked shots, including a national record 337 blocks as a sophomore. Has something like 35 triple doubles in his high school career. Chol is a big-time defender, a natural shot blocker and the dude can ball, no matter how many stars are next to his name.

Above and beyond that, he is a very centered and classy young man. He goes about things the right way and would be a great addition to any college program. Seems to be a really good kid."

potential, eh!?