Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Keegan

Reserves good, but Morris twins key for KU basketball — again

Videos

KU vs. Missouri

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Missouri, 103-86, on Monday, Feb. 7, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 103-86 victory over Missouri on Feb. 7, 2011.

Download podcast

Thomas Robinson and Brady Morningstar, the sixth and seventh men when the team is at full strength, were a big part of the story Saturday in Lincoln, Neb., when Kansas University looked so smooth in hammering Nebraska. Most of the talk centered on Mario Little and Travis Releford, the eighth and ninth men on the team in Monday night’s impressive 103-86 victory against Missouri in Allen Fieldhouse, and rightly so.

Still, no matter which supporting players stand out on any given night, nothing ever really changes. It’s Marcus and Markieff Morris, the junior twin brothers from Philadelphia, who make Kansas such a nightmare to face.

They not only give KU the huge advantage going into nearly every game, each post player has an advantage on his man in nearly every offensive skill the game demands.

Most obviously, they pass the ball far better than most post players. Trap them, as Missouri did Markieff, and watch him fire the ball to the opposite corner that resulted in three points. Double Marcus and watch Markieff sprint to the basket for an easy bucket on a pass from his brother.

“This team is not a great passing team individually, but because Marcus and Markieff are so advanced skill-set-wise, we really give the appearance of being a team that can really pass it,” Kansas coach Bill Self said. “We can play through our bigs in our half-court offense with people not really thinking we’re playing through our bigs because they’re so good when they catch the ball in certain situations.”

They make their teammates look better, just as Todd Reesing did during his remarkable career as KU’s quarterback. They do the things for Kansas that point guards usually do for teams.

Former NBA star Paul Pressey, a teammate of Missouri coach Mike Anderson at Tulsa, played in such a way as to inspire the invention of a new position: point forward. The Morris twins, playing in a game that featured two of Pressey’s sons playing on the perimeter for the opposition, played like point posts. Their passing radar is just one of the ways they set themselves apart.

Never do the Morris twins play a game in which the other post players have better hands than they have. They catch everything thrown to them and don’t bobble rebounds.

Rare is the college basketball post player who can blow by his man on the dribble as easily as Marcus does. On most nights, they have a big advantage on their men as inside scorers, because of their strength and quickness, and on the perimeter, because of their shooting touches.

Most big men have trouble keeping up with them running the floor, which is a big reason Kansas doesn’t get burned by three-pointers in defensive transition, and a factor in the twins doing so well at establishing inside position on offense.

Their superb body control and clever footwork make them better than most at drawing fouls.

Too often, big men look as if they play the game because they’re tall and somebody told them they needed to put that height to use. The Morris twins look as if they play the game because they were born thinking it, so why not play it? Smart players.

Missouri held Marcus scoreless the first 10 minutes of the game, and he finished with a game-high 22 points to go with eight rebounds (five offensive) and three assists. Markieff, showing a hook shot that’s looking better all the time and a desire to make himself feared at the defensive end, pitched in with 16 points, seven rebounds, four assists and three blocked shots. Combined, they made 13 of 17 field goals.

The 19th-ranked Tigers (18-6 overall, 4-5 in the Big 12) shot the ball well (51.7 percent), took good care of the basketball (eight turnovers). Their guards showed they are quicker with the ball than the KU guards are defending it. They did a lot of things that winning teams usually do, but like most teams, Mizzou had no answer for the twins.

Once Marcus established himself in the paint, Kansas steadily pulled away.

“I felt like in the first half I was very ineffective, and coach told me at halftime, ‘Play like an All-American, play like people expect you to play.’ So I just tried to play hard and these guys backed me up,” said Marcus, who had 17 points in KU’s 57-point second half.

Kansas shot .667 in the second 20 minutes.

“Coach said, ‘Get it down low, get it down low, get it down low,’ in the second half,” Marcus said. “That’s what he was saying because he just felt like we weren’t doing that in the first half. We weren’t getting their bigs in foul trouble. I felt like we did that real well in the second half.”

So well, in fact, that Ricardo Ratliffe and Laurence Bowers, Missouri’s starting post players, combined for seven personal fouls. Marcus went to the line 12 times in the second half. He only made seven of them, keeping KU from topping the 60 mark in a second half in which the team he leads looked frighteningly good.

Interactive Timeline

2010-11 KU men's basketball timeline

Comments

MIZNIT 3 years, 8 months ago

I live in Columbia, and theres nothing better than hearing all my friends make excuses after KU hands MIZNIT another @$$ beating. I thought we dominated every position on the floor except PG. Pressy looked super quick, and couldn't miss. The one thing I was pissed about was Tyshawn's countless ill timed shots. How does your point guard go 4-14 from the field?

Bob Thompson 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree. It appears that Tyshawn is a very good player, but not a smart player. Most of his misses were from about 5 feet from the basket. He is trying to shoot a floater, but at least he is not charging and getting called for a foul.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 8 months ago

Not that TT is not a smart player, it is more so that he has mental lapses. In the past, he has hit that shot driving to the basket and he has recently had a lot of those shots for some reason rim out of the basket. IMO, TT has to continue to work at it and get a rythmn.

SaulGood 3 years, 8 months ago

There's some real positives to Tyshawn's game, but I am just a little sick of seeing big, swooping drives straight down the lane into a jungle of tall defenders for a finger roll/layup that misses. He is probably the best I've ever seen at turning a layup into a low-percentage shot. You can see it written all over him, too - when he commits to a drive, his blinders usually go on, and you just have to cross your fingers for one of our bigs to do a fantastic job boxing out to get a short board. Those little putzy shots are extremely difficult to get a second-chance shot out of. I agree with you MIZNIT, this is an area that begs improvement.

HawkBBall 3 years, 8 months ago

Two things that drive me crazy about Tyshawn. Driving into the trees with no plan, and not taking care of the basketball during his perimeter dribbling.

jayhawktalk 3 years, 8 months ago

Sadly, as frustrating as it is, TT needs to keep penetrating and looking to score opportunistically. He has to be a threat, and he absolutely must break down defenses off the dribble. For whatever reason, the trajectory on this short shots is completely flat, leading to clankers. TT, get a few inches of air under those shots, and they go in; it's not a plus, it's a must.

I knew TT was fast, but watching him running with the ball last night... Dude is a rocket. He's even faster than I thought.

SaulGood 3 years, 8 months ago

I guess if our opponents don't know Tyshawn misses all the time, he's still a "threat"...but when the word gets out that he misses most of his drives, what then? Right now it's reasonable to assume no one else on our team is going to get an assist out of it. Last night there was plenty of scoring to absorb TT's drives, but anyone remember Jerod Haase's shooting slump? A KU professor told him "When you're in a hole, stop digging." Haase's slump ended because he tightened up his shot selection. Sorry jht, I have to disagree - this tendency will end up costing us fouls, second-chance points, and can really blow a tight game.

hawk_of_ages 3 years, 8 months ago

He absolutely needs to keep driving and penetrating. Even last night when he was missing, he was still drawing the defense and the twins got putback after putback on his misses. I agree that he should look to pass more on those drives, though.

100 3 years, 8 months ago

C'mon Jayhawk fans.... We all have something in life to work on... TT is running a 23-1 team, doing a solid job overall & I for one say "thank you"....

Look at it this way, if TT wasn't running the show last night, who do we put out there at point guard? I love EJ & his game is developing, but like all KU players, growing pains eventually turn into beautiful basketball. EJ will be a consistent passing/dunking/defensive stud for us in the near future & at times this year has shown us brilliant flashes of it.

But let's be realistic here. MU played a great first half. If TT isn't out there on the court the first 20 minutes, we're down 10 points at half.

He is a leader we should be proud of. Yes like all of us he has a few simple things to work on, but there's a reason those NBA scouts are checking him out.

When our beautiful ball movement gets going in all of these important first half possessions (no matter the game), sometime take a look at who the driver of this is.

It's TT. Yes he went 4-14 shooting yesterday.

But he still lead us to a victory.

Great game yesterday Missouri.... Rock Chalk Jayhawk... We like your players & coach, but most of us will never forget 1863.

Slavery is wrong. Not sure why it took the civil war for the economists in Missouri to figure that out.

Judging by the shirts we'll see in Columbia next time we play, I get the feeling Missouri fans still don't really understood "why" Lawrence was burned to the ground in 1863.

Again great game Missouri players & coaching staff.

You have earned our respect.

kcglowboy 3 years, 8 months ago

Thank You !!!! We're playing great basketball, incredibly fun and exciting to watch, and we're winning. So why do so many "fans" feel the need to get on here and complain? Really, people, enjoy the ride, for crying out loud!

Dirk Medema 3 years, 8 months ago

Jesse has a nice article on TT

"Again great game Missouri players & coaching staff."

I thought they looked a lot more like a KU team in the first half in particular, and a lot less like an Arkansas team.

KGphoto 3 years, 8 months ago

I wouldn't exactly say he's "running" the team.

I would also reign-in the slavery banter. It's just too much. I have many 'o' family in Missouri... none of them are slave owners.

Appreciate the enthusiasm. But let's keep it real. You are showing much love for a kid who was reprimanded for instigating fights against his own Jayhawk family. Has he grown up? Seems so. But I'm not ready to hoist his jersey just yet.

hawk316 3 years, 8 months ago

Most of TT's shots were decent shots that just didn't drop. No question that occasionally he fires up an ill-advised shot, but with his quickness he needs to continue driving to the hoop.

nocolohawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree the drives and misfires were difficult to watch, but I believe TT was likely directed by the coaches to play in that fashion. You could look at it as TT 'getting some reps'.

Think of it as an investment in the future. If TT is able to dial in the drive, the floater and the dish over the next several games, look out. Kansas will have yet another very potent weapon.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if these are the same folks hating on Brady before his break out the last few games.

Funhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Late, after the crowds dispersed, very late, the last person inside dark Allen Fieldhouse heard noises. The sounds grew to the recognizable rhythm of a rocking chair. The creaky rocking chair sound was pin pointed as coming from the other side of doors that open onto Naismith Court. A light switch was flipped. What happened next occurred in a split second. At the same time he opened the doors, a quick, loud explosion at mid-court made the employee jump and yell. And then, just as sudden as he heard wood upon wood, all was now quiet.

Our big, smiling Jayhawk was covered with splintered wood, the remains of what had been arm rails and springs, back support, top rail, and chair runners…… it was the Ghost of Norm.

Alohahawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm sitting here, late at night (11:30 PM Hawaii time) reading the above post, and wondering if some miserable Misery antler/prankster had somehow found a way to sneak into Allen Field House. I got to the "splintered wood", and I felt the blood pressure rising. I was ready to jump the Pacific to strangle the intruder. Then, after reading the last six words, I let out an earth-shaking laugh that must have scared my next door neighbors.

That was fun, "Funhawk"! Love your post. The old chant from 35+ years ago still echos in my ears. "Sit down, Norm!" What a fitting ending to a great Jayhawk thumping of Misery's litter kittens.

Up next: Iowa State. One at a time, Hawks.

hijayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Alohahawk! Love to have fellow Jayhawks in Hawaii! What island are on?

RCJH!!

Alohahawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I've lived on Oahu the entire time I've lived in the islands. Now live in the downtown area.

JayhawkRock 3 years, 8 months ago

This was a good article but I think we all knew this. Yes the Morris twins keyed to the getting the win again because they are our best players. Both should be All-Americans at the end of the year. Both are crucial to our success. If the twins dont play well then there is a really low chance that we win against a quality team like Mizzou. We can win in a game without Selby against quality teams but not without Marcus or Markieff.

Im gonna disagree with MIZNIT about Tyshawn. I know that he took 14 shots in the game but he still played well when we needed him. He was key to beating the pressure all night and during our big run he did a nice job of keeping the ball moving. He also hit all four free throw attempts and only had 2 turnovers in 35 minutes against a pesky defense. In a game that was all about offense I thought Tyshawn did a fine job. I was most unhappy with his defense but even then I cant really fault him. Mizzou's guards hit some tough shots and they are quicker than our guards, especially without Selby.

jayhawktalk 3 years, 8 months ago

+1 Solid game on TT's part. Most are anymore. He really does (and can) need to capitalize on his ability to penetrate, though.

He gave P. Pressey too much space on several occasions last night. Mental lapses. I loved it when Pressey hit what was probably his third NBA range 3, TT raises his hands to the bench, most likely to Self, like, "What more do you want me to do?" TT has proven he's probably our best defender, better than TRel and Brady, imo, but my response to him in that instance would have been, "...Uhm, try getting out and guarding him!"

P. Pressey is remarkable. He's a scoring guard that looks to create for his teammates.

BewareOfThePhogOnTheWater 3 years, 8 months ago

Marcus and Markieff need to play the game and stop with the cheap shots. If we can't win without them we won't win when they are sitting on the bench or ejected from the game because of them throwing elbows or flagrant fouls like last night. Stop with the cheap shots, Morri. Play the game. Win with your talent and skills.

Lonnie Ross Dillon 3 years, 8 months ago

Does it bother anyone else that Marcus has to be reminded to play hard ... when he chooses to turn it on he's unstoppable, so why isn't he motivated to do that all the time?

Oh, and quit picking fights and then acting as though nothing happened. To the twins, you will, for the rest of your college career (be it through this year or next) have most calls go against you. Your reputation as whiners and thugs will ensure that. Please show some maturity for the rest of the season and not feel you always have to get in the last word...or sucker punch.

JayhawkRock 3 years, 8 months ago

No Im not concerned about Marcus. Hes been extremely consistent and reliable this entire season and that will continue. Every player needs a pep talk and thats really what this was.

I dont think that Markieff was acting as if nothing happened I think he was shocked that he got called for the foul because he thought Bowers initiated the original contact. He knew that he hit Bowers in the face Im sure but I think he thought the ref missed the original contact.

I dont mind the Morris boys getting an occasional Technical or flagrant foul because I feel like we need that type of attitude on this team. They dont put up with any crap from anyone. Last year I felt like no one was tough. Xavier was all muscle but had no attitude and Sherron was tough but he never outwardly showed it like the Morris twins have this season.

And correct me if Im wrong but didnt Markieff get a flagrant foul and then Mizzou hit two free throws to cut the lead to I believe 7. Then we went on a run that kicked the lead up to around 18 points? I dont think it's a coincidence.

buttsauce 3 years, 8 months ago

Sherron didn't outwardly show his attitude? C'mon.

If Mizzou hits that 3 after the 2 free throws it is now a 4 point game and they have all the momentum. Stupid, stupid foul and it is inexcusable for junior leaders to continually make those mistakes.

actorman 3 years, 8 months ago

Good points, Ross. I was really disappointed to see Markief's cheap shot, and we were lucky that he didn't get kicked out of the game.

I also agree with Jayhawk Rock that Tyshawn played a pretty good game. Although he took (and missed) a lot of shots, I don't think most of them were bad shots; In fact, he'd generally made those types of shots in other games. He just had one of those games where the shots weren't falling, but he did everything else pretty well. And man does this team look good right now! I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but it seems like they've taken things to a whole new level and are putting teams away now the way they weren't earlier in the year.

Alohahawk 3 years, 8 months ago

While he did make some dumb mistakes (at times trying to shake and bake, jukin with the ball out at the top, and then having the ball picked), TT did push the ball up the court. When Misery applied the full court press, which I thought the Hawks destroyed pretty much all night, it gave TT an open path to drive down the side of the lane. Unfortunately, he kept missing all the high off the backboard shots he usually hits.

First half, zilch for made freethrows, second half, much better. In watching TRob shoot his freethrows, he would bend his knees but when he straightened up to shoot, he sort of stopped before following through. So, it didn't flow, it was almost a jerky dip, stop, shoot motion. Hope the coaches can correct that. Freethrows are our major handicap. Even Reed and Brady are missing.

Whatever their mistakes, great win Hawks!! It will ease the pain of my root canal at the dentist tomorrow morning. UGH!!

Alohahawk 3 years, 8 months ago

No need to apologize.You're correct, and it was a mistake adding the plural to TT's shake & bake move/mistake" for this game. I guess I get a little frustrated sometimes when any of our guards get picked trying to dribble to much or through a double team. I just remembered TT doing the same "juke move" and getting picked on previous occasions. Selby's done it also. And Collins was picked on numerous occasions for doing the same.

And, I didn't really mean to cut TT's performance. I've actually been happy with TT most of this season. Believe me when I say I was pleasantly surprised at the few Hawk turnovers against Misery.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 8 months ago

Hey...it's nice to see I'm not the only one who can't sleep!!!

Keegs definitely got this one correct. I am afraid it looks like we may be losing more than our three seniors this season. If some NBA GM is smart [and that's asking a lot] he will find a way to trade for consecutive early picks and pick up the twins as a "package deal". The sum is so much more than the parts!!!

Still, I hope they stay another year...the Morri, TRob and Double D would be a monster forward wall next season!!!!

irvan moore 3 years, 8 months ago

i really liked this game, we looked good most of it and played pretty smart basketball.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 8 months ago

I don't think Coach Self gets enough credit for the work he does with these kids. I'm sure Danny has had a lot to do with their post moves, etc. but I think we all remember the undisciplined twins that arrived on campus a few years ago. Sometimes, like last night, they show a little of that, but they have become so much more polished over time, and I really believe it takes a great coach to get that kind of improvement out of his players.

James McGuire 3 years, 8 months ago

Two years ago I wouldn't have called the Morris twins great players. Its not that I didn't think they had the potential, they just didn't play great. They have both played great this season though and I consider them to be excellent players.

I think some of the stupid fouls can be attributed to them getting a lot more attention from opposing teams as before. Unfortunately, the twins react to some of that attention in the wrong way. Like all of the other areas of their game that have improved, I am sure this one will get better as well.

clevelandjayhawker 3 years, 8 months ago

Hard work + Our coaching staff (Danny, HCBS, Dooley, Audrey....)= 2 NBA players..... feels like a lifetime ago when they were freshmen and playing like freshmen

NotWiller 3 years, 8 months ago

I hate Missouri all it stands for. I can't imagine a more deserving bunch of jacka$$e$ to hang a hundred on.

But Tom, give me a break! Marcus played like a stud in the second half, no doubt. But the headline and the whole article completely disses the incredible performance of key reserves. Without them, we're behind by 15 at the half. And no matter what numbers 'Kieff puts up, I'm pissed about the cheap swipe b/c it should have taken him out of the game just when we needed him. I get it...play with emotion. But cheap shots after the play's over aren't emotion. Games are going to be just as hot during March, and he WILL get ejected during the tourney for junk like that. I don't mind a well timed technical (though I don't think players are usually in a position to know when it's a good time), but flagrants are another matter.

But the take away: on a night when Marcus, TT, and Tyrel were each pretty ineffective for half the game (though at different times and for different reasons), and Josh permanently on the bench, and Travis still gimping a bit, and Mario getting into foul trouble later, and EJ not doing tons to lighten the load......we still ran the crap out of the supposed "40 minutes of hell" or whatever over-hyped nonsense they call themselves!! I suggest a new slogan: "40 minutes of fouling!"

Rock Chalk, men!! Gonna be a GREAT rest of the season!

oldalum 3 years, 8 months ago

Please understand. It wasn't a flagrant, it wasn't even a technical. It was called an INTENTIONAL FOUL. It was stupid and should never have happened, but don't make it even worse than it was.

SaulGood 3 years, 8 months ago

Not a huge fan of the bent of this article. Seems like a lot of obviousness and PR. Is there anyone reading this who doesn't know the Morris twins are the crux of our offense? It almost seems like Keegan's saying I should feel bad for pulling for Releford, Little, and Robinson. "Hey, don't forget those Morris twins." Really? I'm pretty sure I was aware that they are far better than the average center/forwards at ballhandling, they have a great shooting touch, make some huge contributions on defense, and cause foul woes for opponents. Right now, I don't feel bad at all for concentrating on analyzing how deep our bench goes and who we can/can't count on to be healthy in the coming weeks. But hey! It's a safe topic to write about, right?

kcglowboy 3 years, 8 months ago

To me, the point of the column was, The past few games a couple of reserves deservedly received a lot of praise, but let's not overlook (or take for granted) the fact that our offense still flows through The Twins. Even it you consider it "PR" for The Twins, good for them. I'd love to see them both get some post-season honors-- which is hard to do on a team that spreads the wealth the way we do.

So for one night, I have to jump off of the Keegan-bashing bandwagon. It was a good, fundamentally sound column with plenty of good points (even if some of the points seem "obvious" to in-tune fans) -- written on a VERY TIGHT DEADLINE. He cranked out about 30 column inches from a game that ended well past 10 p.m.

NJHAWK 3 years, 8 months ago

Great article, Tom. I do not think that twins get enough credit by the local media and some of the KU fans. Therefore, it is nice to read such an article. The twin haters are out of their closet and could not take a good article written about them. Instead of talking about their leadership qualities, the culture of FOE they have infused in this team, some of the posters are pointing towards their technical fouls. How about discussing 60+% FG shooting each, >35% from 3-point line, 7+ rebounds each (Kieff leading the league with 8.4), > 65% FT shooting, etc? I am not condoning their attitude but lets get real. Any team in the nation would love to have them. We, as KU fans, should enjoy and support their play and the team.

jrbill67 3 years, 8 months ago

If Taylor and Johnson start using their heads and playing smart & if the twins keep their heads this team will win it all. But if Taylor & Johnson keep dribbling into trouble and throwing errant passes, while Markief is slapping people in front of a ref and Marcus is elbowing people in the face in the paint, this team's going to be eliminateed early. It's time for these incredibly gifted athletes to mature. There is no "leader" on this team so they have to do it themselves. Let's hope they get it done.

jayhawktalk 3 years, 8 months ago

"The Morris twins look as if they play the game because they were born thinking it, so why not play it? Smart players."

Keegan, I could give you a forearm shiver to the face under a vacant basket for this comment, and to show you what smart play does NOT look like.

I was watching the game last night, told my wife how much the Morris' have matured... Not 3 minutes later, in game time, 'Kief has a brain fart and forearms Safford(?) in the face... My wife raised her eyebrows, and I retracted my earlier statement.

I love the Morris boys. Love to see them talk to one another. Love to see the bookends walk beside each other. Love the chest bumps. Love the childlike enthusiasm. Have enjoyed watching their phenomenal development these last few years. Love watching them embarrass opponents, and will miss them dearly when their Jayhawk careers are over, but they have to compose themselves. Gentlemen, you are way too important to this team to lose your composure, and you need to be leaders. We CANNOT afford to lose either of you in a big game due to a juvenile, brain spasm on the court. You are brothers; if you need to hit someone, go slap your brother, and let Angel sort it out after the game.

Robert Brock 3 years, 8 months ago

I have given up on expecting to see a "smart" Taylor. It is deep into his junior season; all we can hope is for Self to harness a few of the good things that Taylor brings and for Self to smooth over the boneheaded mistakes that Taylor will undoubtedly make.

pizzaboy225 3 years, 8 months ago

I won't even begin to explain all the things I can't stand about Tyshawn because I'll get ripped on this board, but people have got to stop saying "When Taylor plays with a level head..." He's almost a freaking senior and has been playing significant minutes for three years! If he hasn't become more consistent by now, I really don't see how much more matur he'll get, even under our coaching staff.

Hank Cross 3 years, 8 months ago

The gist of this piece is absolutely correct. This season has always been about the twins. They present such a unique match-up, that when they get going the rest of the opposing defense starts to break down and the rest of the players can step up. If some team ever finds a way to neutralize the twins, it's going to be up to Selby to lead the offense.

quigley 3 years, 8 months ago

I would have to disagree with some of the comments. I think that Taylor should get a lot of credit in this game too. Granted, he missed quite a few in close shots and his percentage wasn't good, but he was aggresive. More often than not, if he missed it, it opened up the floor and one of our other guys put it back in. I thought he did a great job of being someone who was not afraid to attack, that helped a lot.

Sally Presson 3 years, 8 months ago

Comon!!! the twins are tough and you guys would fuss if they weren't. Under the basket you have to be tough or get left standing looking like a sissy! and sissy they aren't. OK so Tyshawn missed some baskets, but he did so many great things, keep your comments positive. This is absolutely the best team KU's had in a long time. I love their attitudes about winning and each other. Just ordered tickets for senior night, we're going to miss our seniors so much, but they've given us 4 years of hard play. And look what Mario's done, redshirted for the good of the team, but hopfully this will be a great year for him, thanks mario for all you've done. I just hope the twins are here next year for senior night!!! Let's have a Valentine's Day massacre on the Wildcats. Rock Chalk!!!!!

jaycard 3 years, 8 months ago

I hope Ben Mac's mom watched this beatdown last night!

hawkone 3 years, 8 months ago

Brandon G, Seriously man, could you please get some work done today instead of reading message boards? Thanks again, Your sub-conscious self

Joel Thomas 3 years, 8 months ago

The Morrii are great and all, but let's crawl out of their jocks just a little bit. Or at least not let them see this particular article.

KansasComet 3 years, 8 months ago

I am happy that we have the twins on our team. I have read comments that said they were not motivated all the time--who is? I also read a comment that said they play like thugs? Come on, seriously? It's basketball, it's not like they went out to the trunk to get a tire iron or something. Just because you see a certain play on television, does not mean you saw the entire exchange or exchanges. It was an obvious retaliation. Often the first person doesn't get caught. By now, the twins have a reputation, that if you push them, they are going to push back. We can't have that come tournament time. The twins should use better restraint, but to call them thugs? That is a shame. To call them unmotivated? No one plays great all the time. Just look at our Jayhawks against Northern Iowa last year. We were a Number 1 seed, with a great shooting guard, excellent point guard, and an outstanding center. We had a poor game, could not adjust to getting mauled that game, and hey, everyone is on the court crying afterwards. In closing, it is okay to have an off game or an off half every now and then. No one is perfect. I for one am just happy to have these two talented young men on my favorite team. They have their own ways of doing things that can sometime frustrate us as fans, but I wouldn't trade them for any other players. I think having to deal with Coach Self will straighten out any "Chippy" issues.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 8 months ago

On the Morris twins, I don't think that I have seen two players that are really more unselfish. One of the best characteristics are that they let the game come to them, seize opportunities, but are not the least bit selfish.

I am quite sure these issues will get worked out. Remember the tantrums their freshman season? Much has changed.

Both will go down as terrific players, and both have the opportunity to lead this team to a National Championship. Marcus is the type of guy that could go for 30 on any given night, and on the big stage, he might just say "boys, get on for the ride." I am confident they won't let any of us down.

yates33333 3 years, 8 months ago

Someone ought to mention what a solid game Taylor played, so I will. He has real tough luck on his layups at times but can blow by the person guarding him rather easily and he makes some really tough passes. He has become an accomplished point guard. He also shoot FTs better than most other KU players. FTS are the bigger problem with KU's front line, but getting in rebounding position is also a problem at times.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 8 months ago

The Morrii are the foundation of this team, but the difference in this game was the bench and the boards.

13 of 17 vs. 4 of 20 and 38 to 20

There's that game. It swung in the middle of the second half when they started to get into foul trouble, and they didn't have a replacement like we did in the first and second half for Reed.

Robert Lofthouse 3 years, 8 months ago

..can't wait for the next tournament and a lot of pay-back on that Austin bunch!