Kansas defeats Missouri, 103-86

• 8 p.m., Feb. 7, 2011
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Big-time blowout: Mario Little sparks KU basketball’s rout over rival Missouri

Kansas guard Mario Little controls a loose ball against Missouri's Phil Pressey (1) and Matt Pressey on Monday, February 7, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Videos

KU vs. Missouri

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Missouri, 103-86, on Monday, Feb. 7, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 103-86 victory over Missouri on Feb. 7, 2011.

Download podcast

Mario Little realizes time is rapidly running out on his Kansas University basketball career.

The Jayhawks’ senior role player from Chicago, in fact, will play just seven more games before tackling the 2010-11 postseason, then the real world.

There’s not much time left to leave his legacy.

“I mean, I want people to remember me when I leave here, so I always try to bring something to the table. At times I don’t, but that’s what I’m thinking when I go out there,” Little said Monday night.

He was speaking after exploding for a career-high 17 points off 7-of-9 shooting (3-of-3 from three) in the Jayhawks’ 103-86 victory over rival Missouri in Allen Fieldhouse.

While not a performance for the ages, it definitely was huge, especially considering KU needed some extra offense with injured Josh Selby out of the lineup.

“I came in and shot yesterday with coach (Joe) Dooley and shot with Travis (Releford) and D. Manning (Danny Manning) today. I put the work in. I wanted to see it translate to the game,” Little said.

“I felt good while I was shooting. The first one went down, so I felt comfortable. It was falling for me, so I kept pulling.

“It’s not about me, it’s about going home with a win tonight. I feel really good about that,” he added.

KU coach Bill Self cited the contributions of Little, Travis Releford (10 points, 4-of-5 shooting) and Thomas Robinson (nine points, seven boards) off the bench.

He grinned when asked if senior guard/forward Little was efficient.

“Tonight he was efficient. There are times where he is very efficient, and there are days where he is very offensive in how aggressive he can be or how he wants to score,” Self said.

“The last two games we have been fairly effective in playing him and Marcus (Morris, 22 points, eight boards) or Markieff (Morris, 16 points, seven boards) and Thomas (Robinson) together, and they’ve done a pretty good job.”

Self continued to discuss lightheartedly the play of Little, who for this night indeed resembled his childhood idol, Michael Jordan — or at least the former Chipola (Fla.) CC player who at least once scored 25 points in a single half.

“Of course Mario is going to give himself a chance to score because he’s going to clip it off just as soon as he touches it,” Self said. “But tonight he was feeling it, and of course he bailed us out.”

Little scored seven points and Marcus Morris five in a 14-8 run that turned a 22-17 deficit into a 31-30 lead with 6:21 left in the first half.

He iced a three from the corner that opened a 5-0 burst that turned a 36-36 tie into a 41-36 lead.

He also scored three points in a 10-2 run that upped a 65-58 lead to 75-60 with 11 minutes left, as the Jayhawks (23-1, 8-1) finally pulled away from the gritty Tigers (18-6, 4-5), who have dropped 12 in a row in Allen.

That Little three was a Tiger back-breaker. The shot clock was down to three when he hoisted, the ball swishing and giving KU a 72-60 lead.

“I heard like, ‘seven, five, four, three (from crowd).’ I said, ‘OK,’’’ Little said of figuring he needed to fire away. “I heard Tyshawn ask for the ball, but I was going to take it there.”

Little was not amazed at a KU offense that hit for the third-most points against Mizzou in Allen Fieldhouse history (the high-water mark is 112 in 1974) and knocked down 60.7 percent of its shots.

“Coach designs good plays. I mean, I feel we’ve got one of the best coaching staffs in the country,” Little said. “We run our offense like it’s supposed to be run, I think we’ll get a good shot every time.”

Other keys to the victory?

Marcus Morris erupted for 17 points the second half after Self “told me at half to play like an All-American, like people expect you to play.”

Also, Tyshawn Taylor who missed 10 of 14 shots, did finish with 13 points and four assists on a night KU dished 23 assists to just 12 turnovers.

Brady Morningstar and Tyrel Reed had eight points apiece as KU scored 100 points for the ninth time in the Self era, just the third time over the century mark in a Big 12 regular-season game. MU’s 86 points tied for fifth-most points a Self team has allowed.

“I thought Missouri played really well the first half,” Self said. “I thought they outplayed us, and we were fortunate to be up four just because Mario (Little) and Travis (Releford) made some shots and Travis made a good play at the end of the half (hit jumper to give KU 46-42 lead). We didn’t play very well in the first half, we didn’t really guard them. Of course they are very quick. I thought the second half we played really well. I thought it was a very good team playing in the second half.”

KU will meet Iowa State at 3 p.m. Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse.

Interactive Timeline

2010-11 KU men's basketball timeline

Comments

Tony Bandle 3 years, 7 months ago

There is a phrase in architecture, "less is more." There is another phrase in Allen Fieldhouse, "Little is the most."

Darnn, I wish he would have red-shirted that first season...I bet we don't lose to UNI last year and can you all imagine what he would be next year???

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm somewhat confused. What do you mean "next year"? He did use his redshirt up.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 7 months ago

Sorry, but that's what I meant...he would have been coming back next year. Now, he'll be gone.

John Randall 3 years, 7 months ago

O'vil – each player is allowed only one redshirt year.

We needed him in the rotation '08-09 or we wouldn't have won BigXII 5th in a row.

You can't have your redshirt more than once, barring medical reasons.

buttsauce 3 years, 7 months ago

He probably wouldn't be on the squad regardless.

bayareajhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Dumb comment. Yeah, we obviously can't use a guy who was the #1 JuCo player of the year and is one of the best offensive players on the roster. Do you actually watch basketball or do you just make uninformed comments about it?

buttsauce 3 years, 7 months ago

Hey, brah. If he would have redshirted his first year here, he still wouldn't be able to be on the team next year. Read the first comment before you go on and wax about uninformed comments.

bayareajhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Your use of "probably" confused the issue here. Apparently you were making a joke -- just not the joke I thought you were making. I misread your comment to be a disrespectful jab towards Mario and not a lighthearted, subtle correction of Oakville. The old tone on the internet thing, I guess.

Doug Merrill 3 years, 7 months ago

Good to see the team have a great second half - previous good wins have all seemed to be great first halfs and play even or a little worse in the second. This is a good sign going into the stretch. Now, about those free throws...

hawk316 3 years, 7 months ago

We looked awfully good, especially in the second half. We are getting better as the season progresses which is what you want.

At the same time, I'm very impressed with Missouri. They have some outstanding young talent and are very quick. Pressey, in particular, is going to be a special player. We may have our hands full with this team in the next couple of years.

KU79 3 years, 7 months ago

Great win -- we're playing really well right now. The coaching staff has done an incredible job of molding this team into well-oiled machine.

Btw, I think anyone in the universe reading this story knows that D.Manning is Danny Manning . . . you don't really need to note that.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

KU79-

You're right. We are playing exremely well right now. I hope there is room for improvement though because we might be peaking at the wrong time. Man I'll tell you what....Little got a lot of attention for his play, and deservedly so, but I think Releford looked really really good. That dude can play some D and his shot this year looks really improved. I have a feeling he is going to be key for this team down the stretch. Also, another good game from Morningstar.

jhox 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree with your comment on Releford's defense. He seemed to me to be the only player we had who played defense last night. That's a good sign since lateral movement on defense is probably the toughest thing to get back after an ankle injury.

SaulGood 3 years, 7 months ago

Agreed. Releford used his long arms to take some of the pressure off the squeaky wheel. When he gets back to 100%, he will terrorize some opponents by my count.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm just curious. I've always wondered why Mario Little isn't a pro prospect. He is a 6-6 guard who can dribble, penatrate, and seems to have an extremely good shot. I think he is shooting like 55% or so, and over 50% from the 3. In a crunch, he can also play down under the basket (however, in the NBA, I don't think he would need to).

It is more curiousity than anything. He seems to have the size, the touch, and he is explosive. He just has never played a lot of minutes.

SaulGood 3 years, 7 months ago

Good question - my (obviously) amateur guess is that he doesn't fit neatly into any of those categories, which brings consistency into question. If you compare him to, say, Markieff: Markieff will be consistent in the post first, then when that's eliminated by opposing D, he'll pop out to the short corner for a 13-15 footer or out past the arc for a 3. 1)Post, 2)Perimeter, 3)Pass is the priority I see (feel free to comment on that) pretty consistently. Mario can do all these things, but I don't feel like you know what you're going to get with him. I don't think many scouts are interested if they can't nail down his game. Great game for Mario last night and lots of well-deserved recognition for him - he needs to find a little more of a niche IMHO to be a pro prospect.

JHawk74 3 years, 7 months ago

More games like this one from Mario Little and maybe he will get some love for an NBA prospect. Mario has skills but doesn't get consistent playing time each game. According to Draft Express for the 2011 NBA draft they have Marucus Morris, J. Selby, Markieff Morris and T. Taylor going in the first and second rounds. The NBA normally drafts on potential for improvement. Most NBA scouts believe Little will not improve from he is now (so very little potential). I believe he will try out for some NBA teams and see if he can make at team.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 7 months ago

I was looking at ESPN and they had him as a 6'6" guard, but I would agree a 6'5" PF would not be a prospect of anykind.

bayareajhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Self has played him as a PF a lot, but he is really a SF/SG. The real answer to why he is not an NBA prospect probably has to do with the fact that he can't move his feet well enough to stay with a quick perimeter guy -- and that is what he would have to do on every possession in that league. He doesn't play good enough defense and he's not the type of lights-out scorer who can overcome that defensive deficiency.

Mario, to me, is the most natural ballplayer on this team. He has a great feel for the game. He probably would have been better served going to a school where he was the first or second offensive option. Guys like him need to get in a rhythm and it's hard to get that going when you're coming off the bench in cameo roles.

The two comments by buttsauce (appropriate name for the crap spewing off of his keyboard) on this thread are incredibly disrespectful to a man who plays the game of basketball as well as Mario Little. Not only is he one of the best passers on the team, but he is apparently unstoppable in 1-on-1. Reed said that nobody on the team can come close to him when they have 1-on-1 tournaments. Not bad for a "6'5" PF who shouldn't even be on the team."

SaulGood 3 years, 7 months ago

*applause

Great sum-up. I like this a lot better than my answer.

buttsauce 3 years, 7 months ago

He asked why he isn't an NBA prospect. I said because he is a 6'5" PF. You said the exact same thing I did in more words. Nothing I said was disrespectful.

1st - He wouldn't be on the team next year regardless of when he used his redshirt. I never said he shouldn't be on the team. They aren't going to just keep giving him years of eligibility.

2nd - Self plays him at PF because that's what he is. If you can't guard a 2 or 3, which you admitted he can't do, you're not a 2 or 3.

So please continue your crusade for a complete lack of understanding.

bayareajhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

No, we didn't say the same thing. Mario Little is not an NBA 4. He is an NBA/college 2 or a 3 and at times an undersized college 4. If you can't guard a 2 or 3, it doesn't make you a 4 or a 5. It makes you a 2 or 3 who plays bad defense. And if you want to play in the NBA as a 2 or 3 with bad defense, you'd better be able to fill it up and create your own shot at any time.

As for #1, I commented above that I misread your earlier comment to be a disrespectful jab toward Mario. Then when I read this second smart@ss reply, it seemed to me you were probably going in the same direction. Now that you have explained your comments I retract the accusation of disrespect.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 7 months ago

Self plays him in the 3 spot but for most of his career, he played as a guard.

mojayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

One question: What is the new chant the student section is doing? Can't quite make it out on TV.

3 years, 7 months ago

When a player on the other team screws up or fouls out of the game, the chant is:

“You let the whole team down!”

Good stuff :^)

bad_dog 3 years, 7 months ago

I think this originated with the students at football games. I remember going to a game several years ago (Toledo?) and the quarterback (Gradkowsi-now with da Raiders) threw an interception. He was greeted with this chant as he ran back to the sideline. Shortly thereafter he gathered up all his O-line and was screaming at them about how they were humiliating him, blah, blah, blah. Then he threw his helmet. Nice...

57JayHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

"You let the whole team down." My daughter's high school has been saying it for years. She was pretty excited when she heard it last night.

I have to admit that I really enjoy KState's hand clapping in sync with the steps the fouled out player takes walking to the bench.

Ryan Shelton 3 years, 7 months ago

"left, right, left, right, left, right, standing, standing, standing, sit down!"

bad_dog 3 years, 7 months ago

I know. I always thought it would be funny to see how long they would keep it up if the player didn't sit down right away.

3 years, 7 months ago

One of the ways I have seen the fouled out player mess back with the fans is they will wait to sit down right as the home team’s player attempts their free throw, daring the fans to scream "sit down!" at that moment. lol

bayareajhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I've seen players hop up and down on one foot really fast to mess with the chanting students. I've also seen guys try and wait several minutes (during time outs and then at the end of the bench during close games) to sit down. The students always yell "Sit Down" though.

That stuff can be funny but I'm glad KU has its own traditions.

huggybearhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

i'm not really a fan of this one; it's overdone & generic. what the our band does when a player fouls out is count: 1, 2, 3 and then shout 'See ya' and salute as the player sits. Also a fan of during the Gatorade announcement when the ad asks, 'Is it in you?'...the student responds, 'NO!' RCJH.

NH_JHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Now, let's hope Texas slips tomorrow night @ OU. It would be a shame not to win another regular season conference title with this team. If Texas loses one (hopefully two) and we can polish up the free throws and transition game a bit, I dont see why we cant take it again.

Rock Chalk!

clevelandjayhawker 3 years, 7 months ago

The Good- Mario and Rel are zone busters, we made shots, we rebounded, we were aggressive and caused missery to foul, our offense didnt miss a beat with Selby on the sideline, our bench is producing!!

The Bad- missery's guards being able to penatrate that easily

The Ugly- Kief's temper, he should have been ejected for that non-sense, scoring in transition....even when its 3 on two or four on 2 we look out of sync

fenix_hawk 3 years, 7 months ago

What was missed on the Kief thing was the elbow he took to the throat the previous free throw. Also there were a lot of elbows around his face for those 4-5 possessions the refs missed it but they always catch the guy who reacts.

Clydecito 3 years, 7 months ago

exactly, I was wondering if anyone else had seen the elbow to the throat that precipitated the push away, to the face....Still, not cool to react that way, especially when the ref's are looking for that stuff. Why the ref didn't see the elbow to face is curious, as they were facing him and Kief was watching him as he pushed away from the slaver. .

fenix_hawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree there is no place for that and he probably should have been sent off. Ever since the elbow from Marcus it seems the refs have been watching closely. Who knows maybe the ref thought that was Marcus?

bball 3 years, 7 months ago

Has anybody else noticed that in the last two games Tyshawn is 2-13 on runners and layups? It hasn't affected his overall play, but I noticed a couple times last night looks of frustration when he missed the close-in shots.

HawkBBall 3 years, 7 months ago

His finger roll shot is gone. His 3 is gone. 50% of his freethrows are gone. He needs to concentrate on dishing the ball instead of shooting.

oldalum 3 years, 7 months ago

And yet last night he hit a three and I believe, all of his free throws. But he should give up that runner.

SaulGood 3 years, 7 months ago

Angry +1 - I already expounded on this on another article today, so I'm done whining about it. Totally agree.

Robert Murphy 3 years, 7 months ago

Noticed? He's been doing this forever. I keep thinking one might fall in by accident.

JHWK 3 years, 7 months ago

'...fall in by accident.' That accounted for about 1/3 of Missery's makes last night, didn't it?? They don't dream about shooting that well.

KSseahawk 3 years, 7 months ago

At least TT's taking it to the basket and lately, he seems to be making better decisions on when to find his own. The missed layups won't continue as long as he keeps being aggressive...AND makes good decisions. If he does, he'll get a bucket, go to the line and shoot two or get a +1. Face it, he's the best option we have. Reed would be okay, but we need him running around then burying himself in the corner. And Brady...he's better off-ball anyway (how about the A/TO ratio...37-5 - sick). Then there's Elijah, who didn't participate in the 2nd half.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 7 months ago

It seemed like an NBA game in the 2nd half----I mean, look at the score. Everytime we'd score, Mizzou would score. The Pressey brothers are rather impressey!!!!! Our game at Columbia just happens to be the last regular season game---that will be a good one!

oldalum 3 years, 7 months ago

And their senior night. Hate having to play a team on their senior night.

AsadZ 3 years, 7 months ago

Do they have seniors with any significant playing time?

jebloom22 3 years, 7 months ago

You let the whole team down! (hilarious - each time a Mizzou player fouled out)

Oh, and why can't T. Taylor finish?

texashawk10 3 years, 7 months ago

Taylor only shot 4 FT's the entire game and they came about 45 seconds apart with about 7 minutes left in the game. He missed 2 lay ups, 2 3 pointers, and 4 jumpers. He's not a great shooter and never has been and should not be taking 14 shots in a game ever.

HawkBBall 3 years, 7 months ago

I really enjoy Knight and Musburger covering our games. Knight has some pretty good insignt. They can both play off one another for some good laughs.

EJ had an off night. TT needs to work on his flip shot in the lane and quit trying to keep up with the 3's. TT doesn't protect the ball when he is guarded closely. Kieff needs anger management.

Great to see Brady, Mario and Travis in the mix and hitting their shots.

SaulGood 3 years, 7 months ago

Respectfully disagree - I thought BK and BM were asleep last night. I don't think they did the telecast any favors hyping the rivalry or conveying the first-half battle. I respect both of their knowledge of the game, but last night was...well...boring. For some reason it took five seconds after the opening tip for either of them to start...uh...doing their job and commenting on the game.

Totally agree on Brady, Mario, and Travis however.

AsadZ 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree. I thought Knight's perf last night was poor. He seemed to be favoring Missouri. And i got really ticked off when he totally interupted BM while he was talking about T-Rob's tragedy. I was really angry on how abrubtly he interupted and totally changed the subject.

bayareajhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I didn't mind that. He was trying to comment on the game and not the side story that he has already been widely reported. And I'm not sure why you thought he was favoring Missouri. He was mostly trying not to insult Musberger's basketball IQ.

PhogAdvisory 3 years, 7 months ago

In Knight's defense, I'm not sure he knew where he was last night. I was at the game so I didn't catch any of the commentary, but he wandered away from the commentator's table at halftime, looking flushed (read: drunk) and confused. Presumably he just had to hit the restroom, but with the way he was moving, we were all a little worried he'd get lost on his way back.

addlime 3 years, 7 months ago

This is very interesting. Knight really looked red on tv, and he definitely didn't perform up to his usual in the commentary. Missed so many things he would normally see. He definitely seemed loopy, or drunk or something.

Eric Schneider 3 years, 7 months ago

Seriously? Unfortunately I had to be at work at an insane hour so I wasn't able to watch the game. But every time I've watched these two, Knight won't shut up and Musburger acts like a fan boy who just met Olivia Munn at Comic Con. They don't let the game do the talking.

I have to wonder where all the Brady-bashing has gone. 27 pts, 13 assists, and 0 turnovers the last two games will do that. I am alarmed at the 52% shooting for Mizzou, however. Our defense is so bad we don't have a lot of margin for error on offense. Especially come tourney time. I feel a lot better, though, now that the bench is finally contributing beyond TRob and Travis.

Theutus 3 years, 7 months ago

What is happening with EJ is exactly what I was arguing to prevent early in the season... He should have gotten more minutes early, he should have gotten more leash to make some mistakes and build confidence...

Instead Self put all his cards on TT, and quite frankly I think it was a terrible decision (just this fans opinion).

TT has proven time and time again he doesn't have the head to be the go to 1PG... EJ has better ball handling skills, a better shot, and can get up at the rim for back door alley oops like it's nothing. The problem now is that he plays scared because any little mistake and he gets yanked. It's blatantly obvious he's panicking because of it... He just doesn't look comfortable. Honestly, I don't blame the kid. He's been given none of the opportunity Taylor and Selby get on a daily basis... They make mistakes left and right and stay in the game, but EJ doesn't get afforded that luxory (even though I think his up-side is higher than TT's and probably up there with Selby's).

In my opinion we are shooting ourselves in the foot because we are going deep into the season with 1 true 1PG, and that's Taylor... The guy is the epitome of inconsistency and loses his mind regularly. That is a scary thought heading into the tournament if you ask me.

kthawk 3 years, 7 months ago

EJ is in the curing/maturing process right now. The plan has never been for him to be the guy this year. He will be ready for next year (if he stays with the team). And, then Tharp will go into the curing/maturing process. This is how CS works.

jayhawktalk 3 years, 7 months ago

I disagree with your assessment of TT, although he's not perfect, and I am not sure how EJ has better ball handling skills than TT.

I agree, however, that EJ isn't getting an ideal amount of minutes to develop and that he has a substantial upside. It is frustrating. That said, I also see that your post mentions nothing about defense. If EJ could play better defensively, I believe he would get plenty of minutes, or have a really solid case/gripe for more PT. We have plenty of guys who can score, so on this team the easiest way for someone to set themselves apart is to play solid defense - we do not have to rely his outside shooting, and, although not a bad quality, shouldn't be relying on our PG to put down alley oops. From my perspective, he holds his destiny in his own hands. No reason a 2nd year player with his athleticism cannot play solid defense.

...I thought/hoped last night, with the speed of the game and Josh being out, would be a breakout type night for EJ. I really like him, and would like to see more of him. Disappointing that it wasn't.

Hank Cross 3 years, 7 months ago

Agree. The problem is now that TT is the only slashing guard we have with Selby injured. I never thought I'd say this, but in some respects Brady deserves more time at the point than TT. The trouble is though that Brady can't drive the way TT can and who knows how long this late, late bloom of Brady's really is.

SaulGood 3 years, 7 months ago

I personally think there's a lot of good points in this post from Theutus, oxcal, and jht regarding the issue. My response to Theutus is that while you're right, getting benched knee-jerk style in response to little mistakes is the toughest form of coaching, it's still a form of coaching that EJ needs to have the mental toughness to learn from. Elijah has to overcome that fear on his own. Releford has to be walking on pins and needles after an injury interrupted his PT after high praise from HCBS, but he's still stepping up and hitting clutch shots as we saw last night at the half buzzer. That's also why I agree with kthawk that he's curing/maturing.

KSseahawk 3 years, 7 months ago

EJ's not ready, yet. He does have a nice shot and can handle the ball, but his decision making is often questionable. His heart's in the right place, but the ball isn't.

Theutus 3 years, 7 months ago

I hope so... But TT isn't playing well, so in my opinion there is a HUGE chance we are going to have him next year as well....

I sure hope we aren't in the same boat next year where TT gets away with anything and guys like EJ get the shaft.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 7 months ago

I like EJ a lot, but he seems timid to take open shots. He has yet to have a 'break-out' game. Hope he gets his confidence back before tournament time.

Kevin Huffman 3 years, 7 months ago

Has anyone noticed that we can't guard quick perimeter players worth a darn!!!! Dionte Garrett of Iowa State, Alec Burks of Colorado, Higgins of Colorado, Phil Pressey of Mizzou, J'Covan Brown of Texas, B.Richardson of Nebraska (at least the game in Lincoln)........Then you throw in some of our poor post defense - 1st half for Perry Jones III, Baylor, J.Hamilton, Texas, that Williams kid from Arizona, the fat Josh Smith of UCLA, Bowers & Ratliffe of Mizzou last night....

This team looks like their undoing's going to be not being able to stop anyone on D and not hitting FT's.

HawkBBall 3 years, 7 months ago

Good point. Josh and Tyshawn don't move their feet laterally fast enough. Their man gets even with them on the first step. "If I'm even, I'm leavin'." Happens far too much. I thought Tyshawn played a lot of matador in those earlier games.

KSseahawk 3 years, 7 months ago

+2 and...that's the purpose of help defense, which the Morri do well.

kupride4u 3 years, 7 months ago

Was anyone else worried in the first half when Mizzou couldn't miss? I kept hoping that they would cool down, but that shooting reminded me of when ISU came in with Jamaal Tinsley and Jake Sullivan and made everything they threw up

SaulGood 3 years, 7 months ago

Sure - it's hard to sit on your hands when you're down by five in the first half. Traditionally most KU teams steamroll when they build an early lead, so it's always worrisome when you're watching them get edged in shooting percentage. I take the approach of seeing what the coaching staff does to respond in that situation though. Might call a TO to slow the run, might make some subs, might switch the D...I just know it's not good for my blood pressure to start getting worried 10 minutes in. That's just my response though.

Jared Grillot 3 years, 7 months ago

They came in cranked, just like we did, just like always. I mean, both teams shooting OVER 50%? That's some serious offense from both ends (and not exactly stingy defense from either side). We just proved that we have more in the tank and on the bench than they do, and in the end, they got sloppy, fouled out, and just couldn't keep up (how is the "40-min-of-hell" team not better conditioned?). We have enough depth and balance that we can do that to most bad and mediocre teams, and a few of the better teams as well. We just don't want to rely on it against more quality opponents. Definitely would like to see a little more of Self's more traditional stingy defense.

KU_LON 3 years, 7 months ago

Dear Mr. Ben McLemore You should ask your self... (What team do you want to be part of) The Jayhawks say the winning team. COME TO KANSAS!!

Love J-hawks

jhawkrulz 3 years, 7 months ago

Maybe he'll be at the MU and KU game in Colombia, where he will watch the tiggers lose again...that should decide it once and for all.

MIZNIT 3 years, 7 months ago

They're playing in Columbia, Missouri. Not the nation of Colombia.

REHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I thought about Ben Mc last night, also. With Little, Brady and Tyrel departing, there is a glaring open space for the likes of McLemore.

Vic Janeway 3 years, 7 months ago

its so funny, on the other boards(espn) they talkin smack about how mu ran up 80 points on KU....so funny.....KU RAN with them and got 100.....lol

kureader 3 years, 7 months ago

Opposing coaches have to go nuts trying to prepare for us. Just when they think they know who to guard, Brady drops 19. The next game Little drops 17. Then Releford puts in a few, or TRob takes over.

Hopefully, we're shooting extra free throws every day ... it's the one thing that concerns me about our ability to put away a close game.

tailg8prty 3 years, 7 months ago

Shooting extra free throws is like hitting golf balls at the driving range. You don't have to do it with anyone but it takes a special someone to spend the extra time perfecting their craft. Tiger Woods didn't get koodos for all the range balls he shot. These guys need to take it on their own and shoot extra FT's

Dan Harris 3 years, 7 months ago

Shooting free throws in practice with no pressure is easy. You need to make it a pressure situation, pick 2 or 3 guys a day to shoot 2. Guys you make them, practice is over, miss and your running suicides!

SaulGood 3 years, 7 months ago

kureader - Ain't it fun bein' a KU fan? +1 on FTs...

tailg8prty 3 years, 7 months ago

We may win out. But I think Texas will not only break our home winning streak, they will break our 6 year run as conference champions. If Texas loses and we lose another game, then Texas deserves it. But if we lose 1 game the entire season and it costs us the conf. title then that will be hard to swallow. They beat us though, regardless of the circumstances the night before, so we will have to bite our tongues and take it.

tailg8prty 3 years, 7 months ago

One more thing, stop thinking about how teams can prepare for us. Their coaches will find a way to slow us down. Our coaches need to worry about how to get our team out of a funk when the other team shuts us down. We've seen it before so just be warned.

rockchalk80 3 years, 7 months ago

Maybe he hasn't had the opportunity to showcase himself too much...but this is the Mario Little I thought we'd see earlier in the year.

Congrats Mario! Your baskets came at crucial times.

hawkone 3 years, 7 months ago

Brandon G, Could you please get some work done today instead of reading message boards?
Thanks, Your sub-conscious self

dek9219 3 years, 7 months ago

Keep it up Mario. Hope you earned more PT with this outing.

KULA 3 years, 7 months ago

Not much to complain about in this game. This team looks like it's really starting to gel. Pretty good stretch of games lately and probably their best performance of the year last night. The first game I'm really feeling good about their chances in the tourney.

Still don't understand Brady in for 38 minutes. Not because he's hurting us, but I'd like to see Mario & Travis get some of those minutes. They've both proved they should be in 20m. And don't understand the extremely short leash on EJ and apparently no leash for Withey. I guess coach won't be happy til he puts on 50 lbs.

Was a little frustrated with TT's misses, but at least he's penetrating and creating like no one else on the floor is able to. Especially with Selby out. I have a feeling coach told him he'd have to be more assertive offensively with Selby out. And some of his misses resulted in points anyway because of fouls and rebounds. That is the point of an offense anyway--to get off good shots. And as the game wore on, it looked to me like maybe his misses were a matter of being a little out of sync because of the slower pace of the half court offense. Kind of like expecting your Mustang sports car to perform it's best in second gear. When this team gets out and runs, Tyshawn really shines. Hope this team can continue to run in 4th & 5th gear.

rockchalk80 3 years, 7 months ago

He missed layups, but I think he thought he was fouled on more than one occasion... toward the end of the 2nd half, he stopped to make sure he was fouled...

Like a lot of players that are having a poor shooting night, they will drive to the bucket and get to the FT line so they'll get in some of rhythm.

hawksince51 3 years, 7 months ago

I wouldn't call them layups. He actually hit one true layup and another follow when Brady missed on the break. The rest of the time TT never quite made it in far enough for a layup so instead shot the short floater which he never hit. After several futile similar efforts at NU, Missouri figured out not to foul and just backed off and let him shoot it and go for the rebound. MU did bail him out a couple of times by fouling and he did hit his free throws last night so credit where credit is due. But he needs to lose the floater and dish it off or he will hurt us in a critical game in March.

fenix_hawk 3 years, 7 months ago

I was on ESPN's chat with Pat Forde and someone mentioned a flash mob at Kansas. Does anyone know what that was all about?

PhogAdvisory 3 years, 7 months ago

Yeah. It was pretty awesome. There's a video of it posted on the main page, I think.

Bill Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

100+ points. Yeah, that's more like the games I remember. Definitely old school!

mikehawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Have my ticket to the BOK Center in Tulsa. The talk is Texas here in Tulsa as a #1 from the Southwest and Kansas here as a #1 from the West. Here is hoping! Maybe KU can have better luck here than they seem to have in Oklahoma City.

I don't understand how Brent and the General could pass up comparing the free throw woes of Kansas to Missouri who missed very few until very late. Tournament games are won and lost at the line, and Kansas fans know this all too well from both sides of the fence. Coach Bill, it is time for hynosis because practicing them just ain't working!

Kenny Nall 3 years, 7 months ago

This may be a bit off topic and obvious, but I was thinking about all the little things I see with this team and felt the need to say this. Anyway, we may not ultimately cut down the nets in Houston this year, which is clearly the goal for any endowed team in the NCAA, but everyone as KU fans should take a step back and realize how fortunate we have it as followers of basketball. You can drool over all the stats and accolades our teams have compiled since Self starting coaching the 'Hawks, but that would be overlooking the more subtle accomplishment he has achieved with our program. We've been competing strongly each and every season. Competing with a sense of purpose and attentiveness to the fundamentals of basketball at such a consistent level that we should be immensely proud and thankful for the task the program and the coach have done since '03. It seems that every team he fields has the right mentality and effort to make even the most stringent of basketball fans giddy. Even though we haven't won everything in the last few years or so, you have to be completely content with the position our school is in. I say this because I don't think just because we're Kansas that we will always be good, but because a lot of individuals have put an enormous amount time and effort into making KU such a stalwart of fine basketball in the recent past. This makes me think other programs have to be extremely jealous of how well we maintain a high level of success. That is the ultimate goal as a fan, to be able to say and prove that your team is one of the best there is. Wait... Let me wipe the drool of my face.

HawkNVegas 3 years, 7 months ago

Good game Mario, we need that going into the Big 12 tournament and the Big Dance. I'm glad to see him have a breakout game. His size and our depth has prevented him from seeing the major minutes he might somewhere else, but he has stuck it out and I'm proud to see that he is still driven to play well when he gets the chance after what he went through earlier this season. Keep it up Mario, and KU has a chance to do big things come March. Hopefully we can use this victory to hit our stride going into the Big 12 and NCAA tournaments.

Rock Chalk!