Monday, February 7, 2011

‘Good’ Missouri Tigers have KU basketball team’s attention

University of Kansas senior Matt Rissien, Overland Park, dangles a hanging Tiger in front of the Missouri team during warmups at Allen Fieldhouse.

photo

Sensing reporters were searching for Border War bulletin-board material, Mario Little refused to take the bait.

“Missouri’s good. I am not saying anything you all want me to say. I’m going to say what I feel. They’re good. They are capable of being good,” Little, Kansas University’s senior guard/forward, said with a smile.

All player paranoia aside, the media actually agree with Little’s take on the Tigers (18-5, 4-4), who take a No. 14 national ranking in the AP poll — the media poll — heading into today’s 8 p.m. clash at No. 2 KU (22-1, 7-1).

Thing about Mizzou, however, is the Tigers have looked like a Final Four team at home (14-0), more like an NIT squad on the road (1-4 overall, 0-4 in Big 12 action).

“I think that’s true for the most part with most teams across America,” KU coach Bill Self said, asked about the difference in MU’s play home and road.

“I don’t know details. They really feed off their crowd. The thing is, I think they’ll get after us. I watched tape from the game last year (KU’s 84-65 victory in Allen Fieldhouse). We controlled it from the 10-minute mark on (leading 50-30 at half). But they gave us all kind of fits. We turned it over a ton (23 times). I anticipate getting a similar effort to what they give at home consistently in our building tomorrow.”

The Tigers — who snapped a two-game losing streak (at Texas and Oklahoma State) by clubbing Colorado, 89-73, on Saturday at Mizzou Arena — have dropped 11 consecutive games in Allen Fieldhouse.

Why has MU struggled outside Columbia?

“I have no idea,” KU junior Tyshawn Taylor said, “but, I mean, maybe it’s their press that hurts them sometimes. I know in the fieldhouse they don’t press us as much as they do when we play them there. They definitely take pride in pressing us and getting steals and scoring off turnovers.

“I know it’s going to be a tough game. I know they are going to come in, press us and are going to play. We’re going to have to play hard.”

The Tigers — who have been peppered with questions about the home/road discrepancy for weeks now — realize they’ll have to bring their A-plus game at this road venue today.

“It’s just a mind-set, really,” said MU sophomore Michael Dixon, a graduate of Lee’s Summit (Mo.) West High who averages 10.4 points a game. “We’ve just got to take our home games to the road. We’re definitely going to have to do that coming up here in the near future.

“For like two hours, you can’t really think, you’ve just got to play,” Dixon added. “When they get dunks and hit threes and stuff like that, it’s crazy. It’s the best atmosphere in college basketball, no doubt about it.”

MU junior Kim English, who enters with a 10.8-point scoring average (he has made 44 of 111 threes for 39.6 percent), scored 21 points in Saturday’s home rout of CU.

“It’s kind of easy to have energy at home,” English said. “You know one big play will get the crowd involved. Maturity has to come in. We have to take that same mentality on the road and we can do it.”

He’d love to steal a victory in the fieldhouse.

“Other than Mizzou Arena, it’s my favorite place to play,” English said of Allen. “It’s a great atmosphere. It’s an exciting game. It’s deafening for 40 minutes plus warmups. So we’re excited.

“But like Phil (Pressey, 6.3 ppg average) said, it’s 5-on-5, three refs, two coaches, one ball. It’s basketball, just like it is at home or back on the playground. Fans don’t make free throws. They don’t steal the ball from you. It’s still us versus them.”

Which brings us to the competitors …

“They get the ball inside, and they share the ball,” MU’s Dixon said of the Jayhawk players. “What people don’t really know about them is they play real good team basketball. It’s not really a guy — besides Marcus Morris, who is playing pretty well — they don’t have a Sherron Collins or Mario Chalmers or Brandon Rush, nobody like that. They’re just a real good team. They move the ball well, and they get it inside and hit open jumpers and just know how to win. It’s tough to beat a team like that, especially at home.

“We’ve got to make shots in there. Texas made shots in there (snapping KU’s 69-game homecourt win streak, 74-63, on Jan. 22). Because you’re not going to get a call going to the basket or anything like that. So making shots and playing good defense and limiting them to one shot on offense (is key).”

KU, of course, is wary of explosive Marcus Denmon, a 6-3 junior out of Kansas City Hogan Prep who averages 16.7 points per game off 49.1 percent shooting. He’s made 56 of 122 threes for 45.9 percent with 48 steals and 39 assists against 21 turnovers.

“I’ve always liked his game going back to high school,” Self said. “He’s matured into a really, really good college player — for sure a first-team all-leaguer and the most improved player in our league. He's a model of consistency, which is something that every team needs.”

Denmon has scored in double figures in 19 of MU’s last 20 games.

“He has a quick release, can stretch it from three,” Self said. “If you crowd him, he’s plenty athletic with the ball, where he can go around you. He’s a guy that’s hard to guard, can score in so many ways.”

Missouri as a team is known for stealing the ball in so many ways. MU has 229 thefts to its opponents’ 143. KU, by comparison, has 197 steals to its foes’ 138.

“We’ve got to give Mizzou a lot of credit. They definitely speed you up without question the entire game,” KU’s Marcus Morris said, comparing the Tigers as “little gnats that won’t get out of your kitchen when you leave your dishes in there a long time. They won’t leave you alone.

“But we have solid point guards, and if guards can get better in transition, I think they (Tigers) are going to have a long day because I can’t see them pressing us 40 minutes strong and keep turning it over that way.”

KU senior Tyrel Reed called the Tigers’ pressing style, “frantic. I mean, they run and jump you the whole game trying to create turnovers. They’ve got a really athletic team that’s not really that big. They get after you.

“The good thing is a lot of our guys have already played against them so we’re familiar with the style of play.”

Noted senior Brady Morningstar, who figures to start his second straight game in place of Josh Selby (stress reaction right foot), who is listed as doubtful: “They’re good. They’re quick. They’re small. They’re fast. They like to run. But I think we like to do the same things.”

Oh, yes ... the Tigers are one other thing.

“They’re good,” Little said.

Comments

SoCalAlum 3 years, 5 months ago

BREAKING NEWS - This just in from Mars:

MU’s Dixon said of the Jayhawk players, “What people don’t really know about them is they play real good team basketball..."

waywardJay 3 years, 5 months ago

I bet Michael Dixon also expounded these nuggets of wisdom also.

" Ya know, when it comes right down to it, we just gotta play 40 minutes of team basketball and somehow manage to out score them over those 40 minutes."

" Last year, when I came off the bench, I walked up to Sherron Collins and said, you play the same position as me, but your not on my team, so I will have to guard you some."

"Coach Mike has us ready to play,man. He gets us into meetings, he sets the tone for our team and gives us real good film to highlight the other teams weaknesses. I feel like I can really beat anyone when he does these things."

" my favorite time of the week is game day, Imean, just to get out there and play man. Nobody likes practice,well maybe coach mike likes practice but I don't like practice. It's just running, all day long, occasionally Witha basketball, but rarely without, you know dribbling."

and my personal favorite.....

" you just have to treat every arena the same. There's a floor, with wood on it, It's the same 94 inches as your home court, except this particular court is about 2/3rd covered in their mascot.and all the signs, and all the banners. Otherwise it's just like our gym. THe locker rooms though, those are nothing like our locker rooms. those are just INSANE. and the fans man, They don't even have to wear pterodactyl outfits that look like Klan robes. Their fans are top notch."

RockCaCO3 3 years, 5 months ago

Dude, you're killing me. My keyboard now has coffee spewed on it.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 5 months ago

94 Inches??? wow, is there an Allen Fieldhouse miniature?? :)

waywardJay 3 years, 5 months ago

I noticed the typo as I was going.... I just said... Naw, let that one stay... it's funnier that way.

Ron Prichard 3 years, 5 months ago

I laughed out loud and people actually came to my office to see what I was doing.

JHWK 3 years, 5 months ago

+1 Hilarious, man! Rock Chalk!

PhogAdvisory 3 years, 5 months ago

I should've learned by now not to drink 'n' read... think I scared some customers with that snort of laughter. Hilarious, wayjay.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 5 months ago

Our guards will handle the press just fine, which leads to LOTS of easy baskets. The bigs should feast this evening.

kushaw 3 years, 5 months ago

Big 12 Power Rankings 1/7/11:

1) Texas: Texas has big stretch coming up against teams that have gotten hot recently. OU has won 4 of their last 5 (Against the bottom tier teams), but Texas is in Norman against the Sooners. If there was ever a "Trap Game" this could be it. They also play Baylor and Okie State over the next week.

2) Kansas: Big game tonight against Mizzou, but needs to Texas to slip up somewhere. It's a two way race between Texas and KU for the title.

3) Baylor: They had two road games this week and came away 1-1 beating a ranked A&M squad on the road and losing on the road at OU. They have another big week coming up playing Texas. 3rd-10th is still up in the air at the moment.

4) Okie State: After losing 5 of 6 Okie State won 2 games in a row last week which was only done by Texas, KU, KSU, and Okie St. Because of that and the fact that they are only a game out of 3rd spot is the reason why they make the Top 5 in the "Power" rankings this week. They beat KSU head to head and also beat OU last week so they get the choice over KSU and OU.

5) KSU: They have won 3 out of their last 4 and are slowly finding themselves back in the Big 12 race for third. Being only a game out and and only having lost to KU in their 4 games gives them 5 spot this week. They have a big game on Saturday (Revenge Game) @ Colorado to see if they can get back to .500 in conference before they play the Jayhawks again at the octagon.

6) Mizzou: Beat Colorado on Saturday at home where they are undefeated this year. They are 3-2 in their last 5 with a game against KU tonight. They can't find a "W" on the road and not quite sure they will find one tonight. They have to find a way to win on the road.

7) OU: Still not quite sure how OU is still in the Big 12 race, but they are. They have won 4 of their last 5 against the bottom 1/3 of the Big 12, but they have a big game coming up against Texas.

8) A&M: After losing 4 out their last 5 and losing their last 3 they have a very managle schedule to get back on track. Only a .5 game out of third.

9) Nebraska: Have lost 5 out of their last 7, but they do have a head to head win over Colorado.

10) Colorado: I really wanted to put Colorado 11th considering they have lost 5 of their 6 with their only win coming against ISU. Despite the slide they have lost some close games on the road. Big game against A&M this week.

11) Tech: Despite winning 3 in a row conference they have lost their last 2 by wide margins. Tech just isn't very good.

12: Iowa State: Definitely struggling in Big 12 play

JHWK 3 years, 5 months ago

I cannot see OU being a trap game for UT. I certainly hope it might be, but we all know that no Sooners show up to basketball games if there's the chance an old Sooner football game might be showing on ESPN Classic, and they're not ranked, so what's the use, right?!

Plus, I really think UT learned a lesson from last year where they fell off the face of the earth after being (over)rated #1. This team has many more offensive weapons, and actually plays D.

There have been many years when we wondered how on earth we'll pull a Big 12 championship out of the season without divine intervention, and this is another one of those years. Without doubt, our road games against both brands of kittens are two of the most hard-fought games of the year in the conference, and I don't see any teams in the South giving UT quite that fight.

Rock Chalk!

kushaw 3 years, 5 months ago

That's what everybody said in 08 and Texas went to a terrible Tech squad and lost.

waywardJay 3 years, 5 months ago

Shaw I agree with you on the possible trap game... I also have the gut feeling Baylor is going to sweep Texas.... That 2-3 is going to cause them fits....

phi4life940 3 years, 5 months ago

That kid in the headline photo is a fifth or sixth year senior and he cuts to the front of the student line every game.....just saying KUSports really shouldn't encourage him. Please, no "appreciate our fans" reply posts. I'm just saying....

Rock Chalk. Beat Mizzery.

mattrissien 3 years, 5 months ago

Hi, I am that kid in the photo, and I NEVER have cut the line. While all my friends went on trips over break, I woke up for every 6am lottery, and camped over the entire break. Over break there are really only two groups who showed up; one being the group that was just me. I went to ku for two years and took a year off, getting no credit, to study abroad in Israel. Now, I am a fifth year senior. I understand I get a lot of airtime, but there really is no reason to assume that I didnt work hard to get the seats I did. You should be happy to know that I am group #30 for todays game, and just like every other game will be going in as my group number worked for. I went to a little Jewish day school and have looooved having a real basketball team to cheer for. By the end of the season I'll have gone to at least 5 away games as well, so please don't come on a comment board like this and bash me before figuring the truth out. Meanwhile, if people are bothered by the fact that I am a die hard fan, and at times, can be a bit obnoxiously passionate about it, I apoloogize. Either way, we have much bigger things to worry about than whether you think I cut in student lines or not. Rock Chalk Jayhawk, beat mizz-ew!!! See you all tonight in the fieldhouse!!! PS: I didn't cut in line at gameday either, I froze my butt off in the cold from midnight til 7am when they let the doors open. ROCK CHALK

Justin Millsap 3 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for your dedication! The other guy appears to be a jealous douche.

kesmithstl1 3 years, 5 months ago

took my son to his first game this year at AFH, and he remembers two things: 1) The introductions and 2) the guy with 2 KU Snuggies and a Jayhawk head!!!

Who gives a fart if someone doesn't like your style!

buttsauce 3 years, 5 months ago

phi4life940 3 years, 5 months ago

I guess we have different definitions of "bash." I didn't "bash" you, comment about your dedication, "style" (as others have commented), or say anything about being a die hard fan.

I don't doubt you have spent hours camping. I have, however, seen you in a camping group way behind me but still magically end up in the front row.

I'll retract my statement "he cuts to the front of the student line every game." I shouldn't have broadly stated that. Sorry.

Finally, I do appreciate your enthusiasm and support for KU sports. We share that in common.

Sally Presson 3 years, 5 months ago

You are why KU fans and students are the BEST EVER!!! You deserve the great seats you get for all you do to get there. My daughter camped out when she was at KU and it isn't easy. We all appreciate you. keep up the great tradition. the students are the best!!! thanks for all you do!

JHAWKNPHX 3 years, 5 months ago

Keep up the hard core dedication. We see you every game here in Phoenix. My 5 year old always looks for the JHAWK guy. RCJHK!!

marc513 3 years, 5 months ago

phi4life-

Here to just to back Matt's story up. I have been camping and going to games with him for 5 years. While he might always seems to be on camera or in the spotlight, he never has cut up to the front of the line. He goes to every lottery and camps for every game AND he goes in with his group and not cutting to the front of the line. At late night he got to AFH around 130 in the morning the to line up for the game. I don't call that cutting in line, rather, I call it DEDICATION.

Rock Chalk

Ron Franklin 3 years, 5 months ago

TommieSmithElbow 3 years, 5 months ago

Whatever one's thoughts are on Matt, taking on his religion is completely out of bounds. However this anti-semitic remark was intended, even as sarcasm, is inexcusable.

Jacobpaul81 3 years, 5 months ago

Either way, the hanging Tiger is in poor taste. Leave that for Missourians.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 5 months ago

What are you talking about?

There was absolutely nothing wrong with my comment.

There was no negativity. There were no antisemitic remarks.

One of my favorite professors once told me this:

Sometimes people read poetry, while other times, poetry reads people.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 5 months ago

What are you talking about?

There was absolutely nothing wrong with my comment.

There was no negativity. There were no antisemitic remarks.

One of my favorite professors once told me this:

Sometimes people read poetry, while other times, poetry reads people.

mattrissien 3 years, 5 months ago

I didn't view it as anti-semitic, though on message boards things can definitely be taken out of context. I love reading these message boards to see everyone's opinions. I always find it kind of entertaining how brutally honest some of the people who post can be. I guess this time I got to be the source for some of the negativity....and thanks to everyone who commented positive things. 1. Phi4life, sometimes groups have to sign up two groups because only 15 are let in at a time. What you may have seen was me being in my second group towards the back, while others from my group were in the front saving seats for the second half of our group. 2. For those who comment saying graduate already and all that; many of the students at KU take 5 years to graduate, if they even make it that far. It has not taken me this long to graduate because of class neglect, not trying....and certainly is not b/c I spend my time camping. Hell, when do you think I get most of my work done!!! I shouldn't even need to share this on a message board, but if people are going to post things like graduate already, or stop wasting your parents money....I figure I have the right to defend myself. Bottom line, this year my work in school will pay off, as I will actually graduate this year, and walking down that hill will be the greatest feeling ever. 3. So anyway, can we please stop the conversation about me...and focus on misery. We all have the same common goal anyway, beat Misery! I mean, at least I can spell Kansas. Since when is Missouri spelled with z's. I can see how some can think it's tasteless to hang the tiger, so sorry for acting out of taste....I just really can't stand anything about that school.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!!

phi4life940 3 years, 5 months ago

all is forgiven and I apologize for anything I said. Sorry.

ROCK CHALK BEAT MIS......I can't even say it without a bitter taste in my mouth.

mattrissien 3 years, 5 months ago

no worries .....ROCK CHALK!!!!

Tuskin 3 years, 5 months ago

Way to stay positive, Matt. I'll enjoy seeing you on TV even more after this exchange.

gchawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Think you're out of line with your comments phi4life. We've been season ticket holders since the early 70's, which officially makes me a geezer, and a couple of things my wife and I enjoy so much is the band and the student section, they're both very passionate and fun to watch and listen to. I have seen Matt at several games and I for one applaud his loyalty and efforts for getting into the games, it definitely takes a lot of work and fortitude for him and the other students to do what they do in order to get to the games. Matt, you and your fellow students keep up the good work.

scarletbhound 3 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Bedore. Thank you for using the phrase "Border War" in your lede, avoiding the bland, politically correct "Border Showdown" favored by the KU and MU administrations. Of course, a basketball or football game is nothing like the Bushwackers and Jayhawkers of 150 years ago. Still, describing it as a war fits -- a fight between two excellent universities and among students, alums and fans of both schools who enjoy an intense rivalry. My father and my wife attended Mizzou; my mother and I graduated from KU. Three times a year it has become a great family tradition to love "hating" each other. Let's have some fun with this and ignore the killjoys at both schools.

Saguaro_Jayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

"Border Showdown" or whatever they were trying to call it recently was confusing. Best not to !@#$ with history.

bradynsdad 3 years, 5 months ago

I look for Brady and tyrel to play about thirty five minutes a piece in this game or at least until we get a cushion. We are our own worst enemy with mizzou. Break the press and there should be an abundance if alley-oops. Rock chalk

Ron Franklin 3 years, 5 months ago

yep....we'll see if that 3 on 2 & 2 on 1 practice is doing any good. I expect to see at least 10 fast break points today.

Danny Hernandez 3 years, 5 months ago

Our 3 on 1 and 2 on 1 fastbreaks have looked awful lately...It's like guys either pass the ball at the wrong tiime or don't get the proper spacing to get the defender more at a disadvantage than he already is...

kushaw 3 years, 5 months ago

Wow! Mizzou brings out all angles of Jayhawk basketball. This is an entertaining thread.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 5 months ago

It'd be more entertaining if the ljw didn't delete posts for no good cause. Jayhawkinnebbbbbbbbboring gets to bash Hawks for the entire season before being deleted, yet I use the word "chosen" and all of the sudden I'm Mel Gibson.

JHWK 3 years, 5 months ago

hahahaha! Well then, do not show us your texts or play any messages from voice mails you've left!

What a contradiction: They use 'Border War' but you can't use the word 'chosen'! Now that's a double standard!

Ron Franklin 3 years, 5 months ago

I wanted to say the same thing about the border war sentence after they deleted my post.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 5 months ago

Reminds me of Pink Floyd "we don't need no thoughts controlled"

91TEKU 3 years, 5 months ago

Did anyone else see the MU/OSU game about a week ago? The FT discrepancy was ridiculous (in OSU's favor). If KU gets to the rim like OSU did this could get ugly. I don't see much of a threat from their front court so perimeter defense will also be critical.

Funny how Dixon is trying to work the ref's, "Because you’re not going to get a call going to the basket or anything like that."

Vic Janeway 3 years, 5 months ago

Hawks need to clean up their transition game for good tonight...period.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 5 months ago

I consistantly see these guys not getting the rock in the middle of the floor to run the break properly. Splitting the D & filling the lane or lanes is fundamental. Tough to pinpoint other than just not enough reps-kinda like FT's only far less mechanical. One thing I have seen for sure is the ability of Brady to pass. He can thread a needle with an assist when he doesn't get too flashy. Have to posess a great sense of geometry to do that. Is terribly hard to teach-just some guys have it & some never will. Very comparable to a 3 rail billiard player. Some can & some just can't. Brady has great BB instincts & his playing time is reflecting that even when Travis & Josh are healthy. Travis' D is better but Bradys' O has stepped up a notch. Personally I think Selbys' skills are in a league of their own but tries to do more than is capable of against D-1 competion. Missing 1/3 of the season has really slowed his developement. If he's out long may never be the huge factor he has been hyped. Hope this doesn't mess with his head too much-at times displays alot of immaturity. I know they're all just young adults but ya gotta have the ability to lock out some of the conterproductive junk that comes your way. As a team I see much, much greater intensity than before TRob lost his Mom. This will be a team that nobody really wants to play from here on, either at home or on the road.

Justin Carlson 3 years, 5 months ago

Not to change the subject but....Here goes!

I am a college basketball addict! My wife says I need to give more attention! I say I will see you in April when baseball starts

Anytime there is a college bball game on I have to watch it! I look at the talent level that each team has and constantly compare that to the hawks!

I hate to state the obvious but this team more than I can remember is loaded!

Look at what we have as a whole and how many of these players would be all conference 30 min+ starters for any other team in the nation and they are role players!

1. T-Rob - Easily the best non starter in all of college basketball he is a 20 and 10 guy in any BCS school

2. Travis R. 15pts and 8rbs 4assist guy (healthy)

3. Mario L 18pts 8rbs 3assist (look at his points/boards/minute)

4. E Johnson 12-15pts 6assist (production has been incredible in limited minutes)

5. J Withey 12-15pts 8 boards 3blks (healthy and at a MVC level school)

6. C Teahan 12-15pts 5rbs (Would the other BCS schools red-shirt this guy)

When all is said and done look at this team as whole and put them in any conference and they would finish in the top 3 and be a 4 - 6 seed in the NCAA tourney!

It is incredible what we have at KU...where players put aside their own personal goals, minutes, and stats to be apart of "jayhawk" basketball.

Any of you would be hard pressed to find another college basketball program that could take their top 6 non-starters and compete for conference titles and make a long run in the tourney.

Ladies and Gentlemen we have something very very special here in Kansas embrace it and enjoy the ride. Soon it will be April and I will have to pay attention to my wife again!

LATER JC

Steve Gantz 3 years, 5 months ago

Good post though I don't see what you see. Those are all american/All conference type stats. TRob I agree, I can see him putting up some numbers. Little? Little chance. Releford, the jury's still out. Elijah, needs some maturing to handle big time minutes. Withey, have hardly seen him play, but when I have I don't remember thinking he's a 15/8 guy.

Justin Carlson 3 years, 5 months ago

I just see him fitting in well in a Missouri Valley or Smaller conference where his size would give him a huge advantage. Minutes on the court work wonders for players! But obviously he is not a big east/Big 12 talent yet!

Woody Cragg 3 years, 5 months ago

For shame, for shame, you dog. Ha! Nice post but don't let her see it or you'll starve! Not near as much of a problem when you get to be old...they starve you regardless. About late Mar-Apr I start fishing again.

Justin Carlson 3 years, 5 months ago

Thanks Global Jay! In April my girls and I start the Softball tourney Trail! 80+ games last year. Maybe the old girl and I can have a dinner date in September!

Woody Cragg 3 years, 5 months ago

Those are really good years when the kids are young and life is out there before everyone. Enjoy it all you can.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 5 months ago

Yikes, with those stat-projections, I might get 10 pts, 5 boards per game .... ok, maybe not.

jayhawksbiggestfan 3 years, 5 months ago

http://www.seniorclassaward.com/ Time to vote again. Tyrels lead is getting bigger. Remember you can vote once a day everyday. We tame the tigers by 15 tonight. I have been waiting for this game with all the hype that comes with it. We are rested now with no jet lag other than Selby being doubtful for the game. Hope Morningstar is still in heat haha. We just need another Nebraska type game...........RCJH.

JHWK 3 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the reminder! I don't understand why posters aren't also supporting HCBS in the Coaches v Cancer votes?????

Come on Jayhawks, let's not let calimari have this.....

Rock Chalk!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 5 months ago

Sidenote: The Champions Classic starts next Nov. 15th with KU playing UK and Duke playing Michigan State:

1] Why in the heck is North Carolina NOT in this tourney? That would put the four winningest programs in history against each other every year.

2] If there is no lockout and the Morri keep playing as they are, we'll lose six of our top nine rotation.[ the seniors, the twins and Josh]. We could be in for some trouble next year.

3] 2011-2012 could be Taylor, EJ, Travis, Deandre and TRob with BenMac, Thadiir, Jeff and Conner off the bench. Does that line up give anyone a sudden pause??!!

PhogAdvisory 3 years, 5 months ago

In answer to #1: I think it's because Duke and UNC are in the same conference, and they want this to be a true round robin (KU-UK, then KU-Duke, then KU-MSU) over the next three years. If they got UNC involved, then either Duke and UNC don't ever play, or it counts as a conference game for those two, or it doesn't and they have to play each other at least three times that season, or...

Anyway, it could get complicated in a hurry.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 5 months ago

1. I had suggested this sort of deal in a post last season .. actually taking out Michigan St., and adding in more storied programs, UNC, Indiana, and UCLA. A six team rotating deal. Give it time. It is a way cool concept. Here was my post -- and I'm looking at a copyright lawsuit here:

Completely random: Here's an in-season tourney idea, the top 6 programs - UCLA, Duke, NC, KU, UK, Indiana each year at a neutral site. One game, and opponents rotate each season so you play each team every five years (except it's modified so Duke doesn't play NC since they get them in conference). How about year one: UCLA vs. Duke; Indiana vs. NC; KU vs. UK in Charlotte, NC; or at the Sprint Center; or the Staples Center.

1. Agreed .. starting lineup EJ, TT, Releford, TRob, and Withey. We need to land Andrew Chol as we're way thin inside if that happens.

2. Our guard rotation for the 1-2 spots .. TT, EJ, Tharpe, and Woolridge. 3 spot Releford and either Daniels or McLemore; 4-5 TRob, Withey, Chol. It is the 4-5 that are the biggest concern.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 5 months ago

OakV...During the 08' final 4 after the major a$$ whoopin NC got from KU, Roy was blubbering (as usual) at the press conf saying he still had "way too much endearment & respect to ever play KU outside of the tournament." It came across to me like an excuse for the shellacking they got in the semi. Overall IMO thought Roy was a great coach & decent recruiter, but I could never stomach the poor me crap at the end of every season or the dumb a$$ed Gomer Pyle looks he could display in game. Maybe if he did a little more cooking & cleaning to get in touch with the femine side, he'd be able to better control his public emotions after the season. JMO, but he really did say this.

Kye Clark 3 years, 5 months ago

Regarding points 2 & 3, I agree we could be looking at quite the rebuilding/reloading process, worse than '08-'09 considering we would have no proven commodity to shoulder the scoring load (Sherron). However, assuming we land some decent recruits it could also be a good thing. Something I have found to be true is that for the most part the talent Self recruits doesn't develop on the bench. I'm sure this is true of most teams - that starting really helps to springboard players' development - but it just seems like Self often has lots of talent on the bench that is not ready to help until they are given the opportunity to start. Or to put it another way, Self's players seem to struggle to develop in bench roles, even when chunks of minutes are available. I think the reason for this is that when other options are available to him (the starters), he is quick with the hook on the bench players. Consider the debates that have gone on all season (and even going back to last season) about giving EJ, Withey, & Releford minutes to develop them so they're ready to step in if need be. Releford is the furthest along (or at least was, pre-injury) because he had started some games, but right now all are struggling to progress much at all because of the quick hook. Think about Marcus flourishing last year and Markieff having to wait an extra year to make similar strides. Darnell Jackson & Tyrel Reed are other examples of players that once given the opportunity to start have seen their performance increase dramatically. The exception that really springs to mind is TRob, but being the 3rd big in a rotation to fill 2 starting spots is different than being a perimeter player with 6 guys filling 3 spots. If we land some high-talent recruits we could see a situation similar to the Freshman year of Chalmers, Rush, & Wright. Where Coach Self has no choice but to play these guys through their mistakes and the yield is greater and quicker strides in player development.

jackconnor1 3 years, 5 months ago

Rock Chalk, mattrissien! You're the man!

Beat Mizzou

Ron Franklin 3 years, 5 months ago

mizzou has no chance.

75-65

Hans & Franz say: pummela, pummula, pummula los tigres

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

"Just Another MU Monday (Banglese), or Slicing and the Tao of Wing Point"

~Some lessons are best burned into dedicated, long-term memory unzipped: 100, the Shaolin-Allen monk, Kwai Chang Caine, saith, "Slice the seams of the MU press!!!!!!!!!!!!!" This remains a must, or KU's TOs will balloon and its cornerstone edge in the Disruption Stat (strips to TOs) will vaporize. But this is only solves transition against the press and does not address how to intiate once you get to half court.

~This is a game that will test Self's Wing Point (WP) scheme, which is really just good old fashioned Bob Knight/Claire Bee/Hank Iba/Phog Allen descended wing point attack emphasized, so as to de-emphasize TT's role in initiating under pressure.

~Playing through WP, KU likes the long sideline pass to initiate the WP offense pronto, before a defense is set, if/when the opponent's defense is giving the long sideline pass, because it eliminates the initiation pressure on TT; this has created the habit of not transitioning down the middle--a habit that KU has probably been drilling on this week to break in preparation for breaking MU's press most virtuously.

~KU is at its best out of the WP, because originating the offense there means the ball is always in the hand of someone (Selby, Brady, Tyrel, and EJ, if he weren't needed to backup Tyshawn) comfortable threading the needle to a big in scoring position, and KU usually has MUA in bigs. And when so initiated, Tyshawn enters the initiated offense as he is most comfortable doing--in effect as a 2 man from the point, or opposite wing; that is, he is receiving a pass with a defender not crowding him on his only adequate dribble, but sagging off to respect his awesome acceleration on a cut. TT is thus thinking only penetrate, or pass, when he first receives the ball, rather than how to set up the offense. This makes his TOs decline sharply, even when he is the nominal PG bringing the ball up the floor. And, of course, it also keeps TT fresh for occassional stints intiating the offense himself. The beauty of this approach is that the opposing coach has to scheme mostly against the wing point, which makes life easier for Tyshawn, who has huge load at the other end of the floor guarding first option and playing help side line to sideline.

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

~WP intiation keeps the defense on its heels and thinking paint help, which then gives Selby/Morningstar tremendous opportunities to choose hard-to-guard actions away from the bigs, which forces defensive shifts, which opens passing lanes to bigs, as defenders shift, and cutters cut under and/or against the grain of the defensive motion tracking toward the WP's intiation of the offense. Now do you see why Self can craft a 21-1 team out of a bunch of guys who are pretty new at playing together? With this scheme, which has not been easy to learn, by the way, he is forcing the opponent to have to defend a lot more options immediately, which puts them truly on the defensive, rather than being able to just play contain the point guard, guard the trey stripe, and double the bigs.

~Even when KU wants to walk it, KU's tendency is for Tyshawn/EJ to dribble center line, then veer right or left, then get it to a wing, or much more often, when some on-ball pressure is being applied, to a high post, and initiate. Initiating from the high post is KU at its weakest and most TO vulnerable, not because the bigs are bad high post intitiators, but because the ball most often starts two passes from the big in scoring position and, with only one big in scoring position down low, the double team is super effective, and the perimeter defenders can crowd the trey line and force our offense farther from the basket on each pass, rather than fear for which option maybe coming, as on the WP initiation.

~And when KU tries to do the obvious thing in a high post initiation, which is to pass to a cut back door, or pass over the top to a big, to exploit the over playing, the counter move is no surprise and so the defense has only to react on one vector--it has only to think about collapsing as soon as possible. This makes it easy on a defense. Defenses like binary choices; i.e., either or choices. It makes it so the defense is always attacking, even when it is contracting to stop the back door and over the top. Defenses always in attack mode tend to win the Disruption Statistic handily. This is the dynamic at play when KU's offense struggles against tight m2m, or against a stretching, match-up zone.

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

~Defenders hate reacting to an opportunity set of three or more choices. They can't cheat. They can't gamble, because the odds are one in three that they will be wrong. The primary objective of all offensive strategy in the horizontal plane is the creation of situations where the defender has to consider three options and so cannot cheat, or gamble effectively. The elegance beauty of the Tex Winter's Triangle Offense is that it is built entirely around this rule.

~KU's offense is most effective--as is any offense--when its player positions and movement forces the defense to neutrality constantly. By neutrality on defense, I mean the defender has to be balanced between defending pass/drive/shoot situations, not cheating between only two. Another way to say this is that KU's offensive play is best when it initiates in a way that the ball is always one pass from a player, especially a big, in scoring position, or one pass from a trey shooter with an open look. Whenever the scorers are two passes away, defenders can crowd the ball, or hedge either inside or outside off ball, because they have recovery time.

~KU clicks out of the Wing Point not only because it minimizes TT's TOs, but because Self has crafted a murderers row of hard-to-guard options for the WP to choose among....waaaaaay more than just 3. This year, the WP can choose:

pop the trey post feed frontal post feed over the top forward drive to FT line with j, or penetration, or pass to back cutter forward drive to base line dribble weave dribble weave off ball screen pick and roll reversal to point reversal to high post

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

That is 10 options the initiator weighs, and 10 options the defense suddenly has to anticipate the second it hits the WP's hands and be ready for within a second when the WP chooses and acts.

~It would be nice if the WP were a hybrid of Selby and Brady--Selby's suddenness and explosiveness when putting it on the deck and Brady's quick-not-fast fluidity of decision making and deftness of passing, when either stationary, or on the dribble.

~Selby has lots of TOs, because he is faced with 10 options each time he touches the ball, which is way more than he is used to from playing point in high school, where his PG choices were three: pass, drive, or pop. But his explosiveness, if he is attacking aggressively, outweighs the learning curve related TOs, when the opponent has a defender too athletic for Brady, or when the opponent isn't athletic enough to keep up with Selby. But even when Selby is at his best, he is not the calm, quick chooser that Brady is...yet. And where Selby attracts a lot of help, which opens it up for the one pass away big in scoring position, Brady's smoothness is actually easier for a big to anticipate.

~Frankly, the ultimate wing point would be a hybrid of Selby, Brandon Rush, Xavier Henry and Brady. Smoothness the bigs can anticipate, and explosiveness that attracts help.

The reality (this season) is explosiveness and TOs with Selby, or less explosiveness and few TOs with Brady. Both get you the trey. Selby collapses defenses around him, enabling dishes. Brady gets you more fluidity in offensive movement among teammates. Alternating between these is a great change of look that keeps defenses from getting comfortable.

~Slicing to beat MU's press, and then keeping the ball in the middle gutter for transition scoring efficiency make it less likely to get into and stay in the Tao of Wing Point. If KU transcrends this problem, it wins handily. If it doesn't, without Selby, it could get into some trouble, despite its big man advantage. Why? Because the big man advantage is greatest, when KU leads decisively in the Disruption Statistic; that is, when KU gets about 5-10 more scoring opportunties than the opponent, because of the net advantage in strips vs. TOs between teams. Put another way, KU needs an advantage in total scoring opps for the advantage in big man scoring efficiency to have its full effect on creating separation.

~If KU can transition efficiently and score efficiently in that transition, plus find a way to groove into the Tao of Wing Point, when transition does not yield a score, then KU can keep the MU press from destroying KU's typical 5-10 scoring opp advantage produced by Disruption. But if KU lets the MU press to wipe out that 5-10 scoring opp edge, then KU is in a close game in which the press may also bias it out of its Tao of Wing Point.

~God I love this game. Its better than the Glass Bead Game! Its the best game ever invented. Period.

Alohahawk 3 years, 5 months ago

James Naismith loves ya, Jaybate. As do most of this board's regulars.

Jack Wilson 3 years, 5 months ago

Enjoyed to the post .. interesting, as I have tended to believe that putting Selby at the top, from a position that he is likely more comfortable, would decrease his turnovers but would also increase his effectiveness.

Your analysis on the limited choices or options from the top is a good one. I would suggest that a guy like Selby, off the bounce, and being a stud penetrator, would thrive at the top .. he's not Derrick Rose, but that's a great example of a guy that takes fully advantage of the fact that help defense is harder on a top of the key penetration than from the wing ... mainly because the penetrator from the top has better angles and options in dishing when help comes.

Anyway, good read.

Steve Brown 3 years, 5 months ago

Our daughter, first in 6 generations not born in bleeding Kansas, she was born in Missouri 30 years ago for reasons too hard to repeat, just give it that when my wife's water broke she wouldn't let me drive 2.5 hours in the back seat of our '76 Pinto, to the state line to drop the baby at a Ks. rest stop, preferred a Columbia Hospital. They wouldn't let me forge a KS birth certificate. Even today, I keep one eye open when she is around my house, one brick short of a load, nice enough as long as the discussions don't get in depth.

Jesse James was a two gun man, Roll on Missouri Roll. Down our sewers and over the dam, Roll on Missouri Roll. Coach Famborough is our man, Roll on Missouri Roll. Allen's home of Jayhawk fans,

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

1. Think of her as having dual citizenship.

2. I am moved.

3. Roll on to victory.

jayhawkintexas 3 years, 5 months ago

Note to Ben McLemore and his family/supporters with a copy to DeAndre Daniels:

"For like two hours, you can’t really think, you’ve just got to play,” Dixon added. “When they get dunks and hit threes and stuff like that, it’s crazy. It’s the best atmosphere in college basketball, no doubt about it.”

This from a Mizzou player. I'm just sayin'......................

Ron Franklin 3 years, 5 months ago

this should be copy and pasted for decades and decades!

waywardJay 3 years, 5 months ago

Welcome the Fieldhouse tigers. it's gonna bring you down, Wooooohah!

Sorry< get a bit jacked up for these games.

Key to the game, Can Brady keep his wing responibility from wrecking our back line like Almeida at a buffet..... In a word of support for the Tigers, they are one of the few times in the nation that can play with us up tempo...... That said, We got this.... Expect Marcus morris to lay to waste anything in front of him.... this might be the first time we see the twins go all world on a defensive backcourt..... I'm look for 50-30 numbers from them tonight because we will be dropping down to them in particularly brutal fashion.... I think we will also manage to limit Mizzou on the transition buckets, for this go round.... Offense below 18 turnovers, Counter attack minimalized, and an off shooting night from dixon and Denmon will not be enough to keep them close.... I do Expect points from Alex English though, somewhere around 22-24 .... Safford has had good games against the morri before, so he's someone to keep in check also.... But no let down tonight, aside from Brady coming back down to earth.....

Jayhawks win 94-69

jaybate 3 years, 5 months ago

jaybate news service (jns):

Dateline: Washington, D.C. and elsewhere

Slug: CIA and DARPA to do limited hangout on Huffandpuffington Post about testing phenomenally high above top secret "IQD" technology on Columbia, MO, the last 3 decades.

jns stringers, after posing as "good humor persons" selling cherry popsicles and ice cream bars inside the CIA in Langley and DARPA at the Pentagon, report that both agencies intend to break a story through the usual channels of the Grand Wurlitzer of the media about Columbia, MO, having been ground zero in an IQD technology test begun in the Cold War. IQD refers to Intelligence Quotient Degradation. IQD technology was reputedly used to saturate the unsuspecting persons of Columbia, MO, which includes the campus of the University of Fizzou, with something called AL&WW radiation, also known as Amazingly Long and Weird Wave radiation.

jns stringers indicate that CIA and DARPA will admit to doing the experiment, but deny that the intent was to degrade intelligence in the community.

The story supposedly will claim that the intelligence of the persons in Columbia was already significantly degraded long before the test was begun 3 decades ago.

Contacts within the HuffingtonandPuffingtonPost speaking infinitely far off the record referred jns stringers, by then posing as Justin Bieber and Lady GaGa, to WikiSuckerRumors.com, the rumored new fake counterintelligence rumor outlet set to replace the old fake counter intelligence rumor outlet--WikiLeaks.com.

jns stringer Randolph Saltpeter in London, UK tried to contact pencil necked geeks from the Gerard Manley Hopkins Institute for Advanced and Occasionally Poetic Disinformation Studies in Liver on Bile, England, but a pencil necked spokesperson said, off the record, "No, way/ Jose/we refuse/to make news, as you Yanks like to say."

jns stringers back in Washington, USA, have, however, learned that supposedly all of the major intelligence organizations of earth and three intelligence organizations from unadmitted alien civilizations are converging on Lawrence, KS, to monitor the effects of the limited hangout on public perceptions of fans at the game.

So far, jns stringers in Lawrence conducting pre game polling indicate that 98 percent of KU fans believe Columbia MO has degraded intelligence, but only one percent attribute it to rumored testing of IQD technology.

jns stringers in Lawrence, Washington, London, Liver on Bile, and all capitals of the G-22 countries indicate that they have discovered no evidence contradicting the limited hangout version of events; that IQ degradation of persons of Columbia occurred sometime well before testing began.

Developing...

Note: All fiction. No malice.