Monday, February 7, 2011

Tait

Allen Fieldhouse helps Turner Gill recruit for KU football, too

“There’s no better place to coach, there’s no better place to go to school, there’s no better place to play.”

Those words about Allen Fieldhouse, uttered by former Kansas University basketball coach Larry Brown, have given goosebumps to thousands of Jayhawk fans.

Aside from providing one of the biggest home-court advantages in the country, KU’s gym plays another role that, at times, flies under the radar.

“One of the things that is a great (recruiting tool) for us is being able to take (recruits) to a basketball game,” said KU football coach Turner Gill last week on signing day, when he revealed the 34th-ranked class in the country. “People that have (seen) really good basketball programs go into this arena and say there’s nothing like it.”

Some prospects come to Lawrence thinking only of football and luck out that the Jayhawks are in town. Others, such as newly signed quarterback Michael Cummings, arrange their official visits around big games.

Cummings, a 6-foot-1, dual-threat prospect from Killeen, Texas, committed last June, but put off taking his visit until KU played Kansas State on Jan. 29. The Jayhawks drubbed the Wildcats that day. ESPN’s “College Gameday” was in town, and the atmosphere, from sun-up to sun-down, was classic Allen Fieldhouse.

KU men’s basketball coach Bill Self knows how important his program is to KU’s other athletic teams. He likes that. Gill likes it, too.

“That’s one thing that gives us a major plus, going to a basketball game,” Gill said. “A lot of people who see that say they’re going to make sure that passion carries over to the football program.”

This is not a one-way street. While Gill reaps the benefits of being able to parade recruit after recruit into one of college basketball’s elite arenas, Self desires the same for his program.

“Football plays a huge role with us,” Self said. “Kids want to go where there’s atmosphere. Sometimes kids visit places and get emotional and commit right there just because the football team won that night or they stormed the field. So, certainly, having a full Memorial Stadium is just as important for us as it is for their kids coming in.”

Self continued: “I hope that we play a role when recruits come to town.”

This you-scratch-my-back-and-I’ll-scratch-yours philosophy is rare. Too often, coaches want too badly for their sport to be top dog. Not at Kansas. Basketball is king here. It always has been and always will be. Although it may seem like a no-brainer for coaches — especially those with high profiles — to want to help other athletic programs at their universities, it doesn’t always work that way. Ego, greed and a number of other factors can get in the way. The fact that the basketball coach at Kansas realizes football’s place in the big picture benefits everybody.

That might not have brought Gill to Lawrence. But it might play a big role in making him want to stay forever.

“All the people involved, from basketball, soccer, baseball, volleyball, and (their) staffs keep us engaged with our student-athletes coming in here and us doing the same for them. It helps all of us,” Gill said. “We have a tremendous amount of coaches and staff here who want to help us.”

Comments

100 3 years, 8 months ago

What a great story. Great job to Coach Gill & his staff this year with recruiting. What better place in the world to host a recruit than Allen Fieldhouse?

Also, great job last night to one of Coach Gill's old players, James Starks....

Picked up a Super Bowl Championship ring last night as the starting running back of the Green Bay Packers. Only had 11 carries, but two of them were very important runs which led to eventual TD's.

Averaged nearly 5 yards a carry in the Super Bowl to go with his ring.

Great job realizing linebacker wasn't his position Coach Gill, you changed his life!!!!!!!!!!

100 3 years, 8 months ago

For the record I've read some of the comments below & many are from the most notable trolls on the site.

So speaking for KU fans who are not trolls, I'll say this.... Great job Coach Gill & Coach Self.

We're all very proud of how you two represent the University of Kansas!

Keep bringing in those recruits!!!!!!!!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

My name is 100

Sometimes I like to use double spaces in spots where double

spaces are not needed.

theboehr89 3 years, 8 months ago

I love this website but for some reason rarely write comments. Being a student and a KU graduate in May, I feel I have to say something about this topic.

To get the best possible seats for KU basketball games, the members of my camping group and I have to be at Allen Fieldhouse at 6 a.m. (weekdays) or 8 a.m. (weekends) the morning following the most recent home game to participate in what is called "the lottery." This is what determines the order that each camping group will be in line for the next KU home game. It is a blessed miracle to be the first or second group, knowing that you're going to get front row seats behind one of the baskets. After camping from before sunrise to 4 or 5 hours after sunset for 5 to 10 days, game day finally arrives. Two hours prior to tipoff, the doors open, and you and your camping group members get to finally reap the rewards of your incredible lottery draw and time spent camping. You have your student ID scanned, you run through the turnstile and to the south side of Allen Fieldhouse, to the basket by the pep band. The front row is entirely empty, ripe for the picking. You run up to it, only to notice white tape across not only the first row, but also the second and third rows. They are marked "reserved." While you and your friends try not to kill someone and get used to your fourth row seats, the Fieldhouse eventually begins to fill, and the rows in front of you fill with football recruits.

The fact that football recruits are treated to a KU game doesn't bother me. Taking away some hard-earned kick ass front row, second row, and third row seats from STUDENTS at KU is an outrage. Not only are the students who camp negatively affected by this, but so are the 50 or so KU students who were not able to get into the game because the student section was entirely filled. The student section is limited to 4,000 seats, and once those seats are gone, no more students may enter. So the 50 kick ass seats that these recruits are taking up are literally keeping out students that should have been able to go to the game. If you remove THE STUDENTS from this university, not only would our basketball team not have any players on its roster (leaving us with about the same amount of talent as Savannah State's basketball team), but THE UNIVERSITY ITSELF WOULD NOT EVEN EXIST!

The seats for these recruits should be taken from the 12,000 or so seats that are OUTSIDE of the student section. At the Kansas State game this season, for the first time in my four years at KU, I noticed that the seats reserved for these recruits had been moved from the front three rows to one of the "side sections" of the lower student section, the one that is opposite of and the same size as where the pep band is located. This is an improvement, but this situation still isn't right. Not at all. Students are not happy about it and this needs to stop.

Give student seats back to the students. I find it strange I even have to ask.

Thank you.

2_Phoggy 3 years, 8 months ago

I completely agree. I was around the 6th row behind those football recruits for the Texas game (I think that was one of the games the recruits were there?). It'd be one thing if it were just a few basketball recruits. That would actually be cool for them to experience. But 3 full rows of football recruits? It made me mad that not only were they taking some of the best seats in the house for students to sit at, but also that they just sat with thumbs up their butts the entire game. No matter what happened in the game they were emotionless and, at most, all they did was clap their hands a few times. Put them behind the KU bench or somewhere on the sides. Anywhere but right up front in front of all the students that make AFH such a special building to play in.

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 8 months ago

Don't put the recruits in an area that is going to be on TV for a large percentage of the game!

They are not fans of the team, and give the fieldhouse a bad vibe when they are on TV.

Bob Forer 3 years, 8 months ago

Your complaints are misplaced. The KU student leadership sold out several years ago to Lou Perkins. Blame them, and not the current athletic administration.

PenguinHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Ok, where to begin? Look, those recruits you're complaining about generate an incredible amount of income for the University if they attend and, oh yeah, actually go on to comprise the teams you root for so hard. Don't you want them to have the best gameday experience possible? True, they didn't have to do anything to "earn" the seats, but do you want KU to be the only school they visit that stuck them with bad seats to a sporting event? You won't attract a lot talent for the teams you love with that mindset.

As for your argument that without students, there would be no team...yeah, that's true. But giving 40 or 50 seats to potential recruits won't cause all our students to drop out. However, not letting recruits see basketball games, or giving them public seats that could have made the University thousands in ticket sales actually would have a very real negative impact on our school's teams.

By contrast, I don't see how students getting bumped back a couple rows is really worth getting upset about.

DevilHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

College games should be first and foremost for the current students to attend.

lee3022 3 years, 8 months ago

Ok, I see your perspective. The game belongs to the students, right? However there are other perspectives at play. I am a B'67 graduate of KU. I served in Vietnam and am 100% disabled and unable to travel from home in the mountains of Oregon. Of course I would love to attend another game in Allen Field House. But I am thankful that games are aired so often. Look around you. Allen Field House was renovated twice by alumni funds. The Booth Family has generously contributed greatly to that process and now have provided the original Naismith Rules. These alumni want the program to succeed. They also - across the board - want the football program to succeed.

But alumni contributions provide far more than athletics buildings and athletics programs contributions. They are a mainstay in academic operations as well. The money to endow chairs to attract top professors comes from alumni. The academic buildings are partially possible because of alumni. The low tuition is possible because of alumni contributions.

As the article states, each athletic program feeds off the other. Going to the Orange Bowl was huge in basketball recruitment. Getting back there is the goal of all alumni and students. To reach that goal sacrifices must be made. This is an alternate perspective. How I wish I were in Lawrence again and could relive those precious days. And I do through you. Thank you for continuing the Jayhawk spirit and caring about the school and its program. Thank you for camping out and contributing to the continuation of the 'Beware of the Phog'. Perhaps you can open up some perspective for the whole. Someday soon you will look back and see this from another perspective.

TBull3 3 years, 8 months ago

I have been lucky enough to draw awesome numbers at lottery that were suppose to give our group front row to both the USC and Texas game. Our group was second in line, and we talked to the first group and found that they were going to the other side, so naturally we were ecstatic that we were going to have front row. So there I am sprinting down to the south student section, through the hall and up the stairs to see "RESERVED FOR FOOTBALL RECRUITS" taping off the first 3 rows. I am a very very calm person but this sent me over the edge as well as everyone else in the student section. Its just plain wrong for students to sit in AFH for a week to have a chance at those spots only to give the seats to a bunch of High School kids who are here for football. The worst thing is what these recruits were doing while "watching" the game. I am right behind them and I'll admit it I was reading their texts messages that they were sending to their friends through out the game. They didn't even watch the game just texted though the whole thing. Heres what the rule should be: 1. You get as many rows as wins that you get this season. (USC Turner took 6 rows) 2. The number of wins is also how many rows from the top row you start at. Also the things that I will admit myself at times as well as other students were yelling at Turner were nothing that I would want a recruit to hear. I pay over $4000 a semester (tuition) for those spots only for them to be taken by high school children. I don't care how much those potential players generate I want my damn front row.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 8 months ago

Be thankful for the time you have to watch such a fabulous team in the best environment around. In a year or so you could be in the group of alumni (aka former students) that get to pay $K for the chance to have lesser seats, or maybe even live far enough away that just getting to see a game is a treat.

An alternative is to at least bring cheese and crackers to go with your whine.

Pengune 3 years, 8 months ago

"You apparently missed the fact that those recruits turn into players that make the game worth attending and being excited about."

Different sport. They play basketball in Allen Fieldhouse. He's talking about football recruits. There are way more football recruits than basketball ones, so they take up a lot of seats, hence the frustration.

On the topic as a whole, I tend to side a bit with the OP. I understand about the money these recruits potentially bring, and that if they are any good, I enjoy watching them, but they don't have to be taking front row spots from the students. Give them good seats, but spread it around on all sides of the court so it doesn't affect anyone very much. Don't just screw the students because you can.

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years, 8 months ago

KU Students - your generation is getting a bad reputation of being soft. Just enjoy your limited time of being a Jayhawk. Like Dagger said...someday you will be paying big bucks to see KU basketball...or like me...lives too far away from Lawrence...that going to one game is an amazing treat that only happens about once in 10 years.

Stop bitching about it...and realize that there are bigger things in life that are more important than you and your individual feelings toward the student section seats.

Do your service toward the university...be friendly...and help our student recruits feel welcomed at the university.

ssargdons 3 years, 8 months ago

Worst. Comment. Ever. Nobody's being soft here. In fact, it's the complete opposite. These students should be upset their university is preventing them from going to games they deserve to attend, and all just so a few more tickets can be sold to douches in town on marketing trips. The students are not saying "don't let the football recruits come," but they are saying "give them GA tickets, not our student tickets." After all, are recruits students? No, not technically.

The students are what make Allen Fieldhouse the experience it is, not the fair-weather fans or douches in town once every ten years who are willing to pay "big bucks" for tickets. In fact, I haven't seen many of these types get the crowd rousted like the students can, but I have seen them leave a game early so they can get to their S-Classes with heated seats a little quicker. Without the students and their passion, you can bet your hiney AFH isn't going to attract a single recruit.

Also, this university is here to service the students, not the other way around. If you didn't take that from your experience, I apologize and there is always graduate school. Then you might not have to pay big bucks for your tickets and limit yourself to only one game per decade.

hail2oldku 3 years, 8 months ago

Actually, the students these days are soft. During the Larry Brown years, we actually had to camp out, as in OUTSIDE on the lawn that is now the parking garage. We also had to have 50% of our group there 24 hours/day. We loved it when Larry felt sorry for us and brought us inside for the Daylight Donuts he brought for breakfast or the late night Domino's Pizza he'd have delivered.

As for fair-weather fans, that's the pot calling the kettle black. Take a look at the student section in Memorial Stadium after half-time most games. Hell it was almost comical watching both students and alums rushing back into the stadium during the 4th quarter of the Colorado game this year.

Dan Harris 3 years, 8 months ago

Listen dirt bag, calling someone who comes to a game once every 10 years a douche bag makes yours the worst post ever(well other then any post ever by sooballs, kycats,innerneb,or adp) some of us live several hundred miles away,drive Honda's and can only get back every now and then so UP YOURS!

Michael Maris 3 years, 8 months ago

It's to bad that Ol Roy boy couldn't figure out ''you-scratch-my-back-and-I’ll-scratch-yours philosophy''. But, oh well. Look at UNC, their Football Program was supposed to be a Top Tier Program by now (as well). Poor Butch Davis is paying for having Ol Roy Boy on the same campus too.

As for the student sections, there could be about 4,000 additioinal paying fans that would love to go to the game (as well), but they can't due to the fact that the students are alloted 4,000 tickets to attend KU games TO GIVE the Ol Barn some young energetic atmosphere.

I've Never been to a KU Basketball Game. I would love to go, but I live in St. Louis now. Perhaps, when my 3.5 year old gets older and will more appreciate a visit to Allen Field House, I'll take him and we can both enjoy the sights and sounds of AFH Experience. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy my view from ESPN Family Networks and CBS for my Jayhawk Experiences.

PickleFuzz 3 years, 8 months ago

You live in St. Louis and have never been to a game? I went to Vegas this yr and watched them, went to Minnesota 2 yrs ago. Hop in that car and drive, unbelievable u live that close and don't go!

Ryan Gerstner 3 years, 8 months ago

Actually, the real issue is the students don't fill up the student section unless it's Mizzou, K-State, or Texas. Most games, the students don't even come close to filling their section and that's the biggest reason the number of student seats has plummeted. Back in the early 00s, the UDK did an article and outside of about 4 games, only 2000 students were attending the other games. It was a joke. If you want to pick and choose the games you come to, don't get your panties in a bunch when athletics sets a few seats aside for some recruits because there's a lot more people dependent on their talents than the 10 students that got displaced for a game.

Jared Grillot 3 years, 8 months ago

Yes, I seem to remember back in my day (93-98) that those games were the ones that ended up being oversold in GA tickets because they expected students not to show. If I ever wanted to get family members tickets to see a game, I would shoot for the ones over the holiday break, because plenty were available.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

I was never one for going to hoops games when I was there. Guess I had better things to do with my time than sit in a hallway for a couple of hours a day just to watch a hoops game. I respect those that did/do because they are the ones that make afh truly special and it is kind of shady that football recruits are taking their spots for big games.

Oh, wouldn't you love to know what those players are thinking the first time they run onto the field (across the track first, of course) and see memorial stadium is completely opposite of afh.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 8 months ago

I can't believe the comments on here. I was so happy when I heard that football and basketball recruits were coming to the basketball games and that we were landing great futures in both sports. And than I come on to this site and hear a bunch of babies crying about how they had to sit 2 rows back because there were future athletics players sitting in front of them. Oh my gosh this is embarrassing. I would have hoped you would reach out to these future players and welcome them and teach them the ropes to being great KU fans, but no instead you get upset that they are sitting in front of you. What a joke.

Hopefully, next time you will welcome those next recruits, maybe than we will have continued success. Now couldn't you imagine not only enjoying the KU games at the Phog, but also throwing in 6-7 football games as well. You probably wouldn't want any basketball recruits there either.

As for me, I don't mind the seats being given to the continued success of our athletic program...please keep up the good work.

Josh Galler 3 years, 8 months ago

I was a student at KU 1996 to 2000, and the seats that football was on I beleive on the back row on the band side lower level.

KirkwoodHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Good to see the various teams within the athletic department working together and understanding their roles in making KU a great place to go to school and to be a scholar athlete.

As for the comment from the current student, I used to spend the night for seats as far back as1979. We had more seats back then. You need to get mad at the apathetic student body of the early to mid 90s that were warned if they didn't start showing up for the games, the student body seats would be taken away. Those students failed to heed the warning and now students suffer as a result. You wouldn't be worrying about seats for recruits if the student sections had all of those lost seats.

David Robinett 3 years, 8 months ago

How about coming up with a system that doesn't require kids to camp out for days!?

kcglowboy 3 years, 8 months ago

Well, for starters, quit pampering them. Stick 'em back outside where it truly is "camping." And enough with the groups of 30. The governor of Pennsylvania was right -- bunch of wussies.

Pengune 3 years, 8 months ago

Every generation in the history of time has said this. I can't wait until I become older and ignorant, so that everything I did and my generation did can be better than the "dumb, whiny, sissies of today."

Mike Putzier 3 years, 8 months ago

Good News! Time has passed since you originally posted your message, so you have already "...become older..."

Unfortunately, it's probably not possible for you to become any more ignorant.

justanotherfan 3 years, 8 months ago

I hope recruits don't see some of the comments on here from students. That makes KU look really bad... "yeah, we want a good football team, but all these recruits are just in the way at basketball games."

Thanks for making Coach Gill and the football staff have to work harder to convince football players that KU isn't just a basketball school.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 8 months ago

Simple solution..if the AD is going to cheat, put that money to good use, pay off the Fire Marshall so we can add an extra 2000 seats to Allen and make everybody happy.

Congratulations to all you posters, today. You have made this the most ridiculous string of posts on this site in a long time.

notigers4me 3 years, 8 months ago

I truly understand the students being upset over some of their seats being used for football recruits. I also understand that basketball is king at Kansas University. It's important to know that its football that is paying the majority of the athletic department’s bills. It is simply a matter of economics. Football will make at least three times the money as basketball in any given year. So while Kansas basketball may be king its football that is the cash cow of Kansas Athletics. Always has been, always will be. The students don't pay jack squat for the right to attend a basketball game they are simply taking seats from people who don't really pay for them and giving them to someone who may help pay the bills in the future. Makes sense to me.

kcglowboy 3 years, 8 months ago

Cry me a river, current students. And yes, you're SOFT! First of all, your predecessors gave away several thousand seats. It burns me every time I'm lucky enough to get into the fieldhouse and I see only 4,000 student seats. I was a student (and still getting in on a student ticket) during the Larry Brown and early Roy era when there were closer to 7,000 seats. For the biggest games we actually camped out. OUT, as in OUTSIDE, for up to 48 hours. There weren't any groups. If we wanted prime seats, we camped -- CAMPED -- sometimes in single-digit temperatures. And if we left for more than a few minutes, we lost our place. Period.

Thing is, it was the only sport worth watching because football sucked year in and year out. Now, we know that football can be worth enjoying. So how about you quit your whining about losing a small handful of seats two or three times a year and instead support the football team the way you support the basketball team?

Geesh.

lee3022 3 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for a great article about the inner workings of the athletic department coaches and recruits. I do remember articles about basketball recruits attending football games and being impressed. It cuts both ways.

There are trade-offs in any project or operation. Students will face that in the real world after graduation. To get you have to compromise and give. To achieve you have to accommodate others' success. Football is king at most schools including every other Big XII school. That is partially because KU has dominated basketball in the conference. But football brings the most revenue, even at KU. Football revenue from the conference broadcasts pays for the athletic department and all of the other sports except basketball. Together success enhances the University.

The student general admission program needs to be game-day purchases to prevent or limit the sale of student tickets on the Internet. I also hope that students at the game support these recruits and embrace them as future fellow students.

penguin 3 years, 8 months ago

Student tickets are no longer physical tickets. Student tickets are loaded onto student ids now. The only way at ticket can be sold is through a transfer process that requires you to go through Athletics and pay a fee for the transfer. So I am unsure how they could be sold on the internet in the way you mention.

KGphoto 3 years, 8 months ago

"Too often, coaches want too badly for their sport to be top dog."

Not sure I can think of one of those programs. Unless you're talking about Miami (OH), or some other mid-major, but nobody that's really competitive at a top level on either side.

Texas, Ohio State, USC, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Miami... there is simply no discussion. Even Florida will always be football, and Billy Donovan knows this.

Kansas, North Carolina, Duke, UCLA, Kentucky, and all Big East teams. Basketball. No discussion.

The only one I can think of that might be close is Mich St. but I still think that there isn't too much confusion as long as Izzo is still in charge. (this year not withstanding) They are a basketball school.

Matt Tait 3 years, 8 months ago

I get your point and it's a good one... However, I think it's important to point out that just because a school is entrenched as a football or basketball school doesn't mean that the other coaches at that school don't want badly for their program to be top dog.

Here are just a few examples of what I'm talking about.

Don't you think Geno Auriema wants the UConn women's hoops team to be top dog?

Don't you think basketball coaches at SEC schools like Georgia, Arkansas and Tennessee want their programs to be top dog, even though those three schools operate with a football-first mentality?

And... a little closer to home.... whether he believed it could happen or not (or even chose to accept the reality of it all) I think there was a part of Mark Mangino that wanted football to be top dog at KU.

Nothing wrong with that. Call it ego, call it passion, call it whatever you want. These coaches all believe they and their programs have something special to offer and that will never change. Nor should it. It's why college athletics is so competitive year after year.

KGphoto 3 years, 8 months ago

Good examples of schools who might have a little competitiveness between Bball and Football coaches (Tennessee not withstanding because being the top dog at UT is sort of a dubious honor these days).

I just think it's a little presumptuous to believe they don't ultimately have the same respect between programs that Kansas does. I don't really see the "top dog" thing I guess. Not here, not anywhere.

Okay maybe with Geno.

Funhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Did you know, when the lights have been turned out, the last inhabitant of AFH reports unexplainable sounds. Doors shutting and footsteps in the hallways -- but nobody there. One sound is a mean voice, saying in a mocking tone, Sit down. The other creepy, late night sound is that of a rocking chair. The rocking chair always sounds like it is coming from the center of the dark court. Its the Ghost of Norm Stewart.

Jared Grillot 3 years, 8 months ago

Nice :) Gotta love the sound of that rocking chair. One of the highlights (sports-wise) of my college career to be there when he got that. That, and seeing Wilt come back to AFH.

murph 3 years, 8 months ago

Norm Stewart's no ghost. He's most definitely still among the living. And yes, that rocking chair bit was GREAT!

Rick Arnoldy 3 years, 8 months ago

Wow. What a whine-fest by a bunch of self-centered "me generation" spoiled brats. You had to sit in the 4th row rather than the 1st? "I'm going to tweet my helicopter mommy!" Your investment was that you skipped class to get in line. The recruits' investment are tens of hours a week busting their asses to be the best they can be while still going to class so you can watch from the 4th row. I'm betting they donate back to KU more than you after your trust fund runs out.

bayareajhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I hate to say it, but the current bunch of KU students is an embarrassment. My job has recently taken me to several University campuses, including KU and K-State. I interact with students all day long for several days at a time. The K-State students are always polite and pleasant to deal with. The KU students are almost always stuck-up jerks. It's amazing how doing mye job at K-State is usually a fun, pleasant experience but doing it at KU is a chore. I've loved KU all my life but you current students make it difficult. Quit complaining and enjoy your cheap tickets to the greatest show on Earth.

drewdun 3 years, 8 months ago

The comments from the students in this thread are why KU will never have sustained football success, regardless of how badly many of us want it. These pansies crying about being in Row 4 instead of Row 1 and just how unfair it all is for football recruiting to ruin their basketball experience have probably never stepped foot in Memorial Stadium, and if they have, they probably arrived during the 2nd Quarter and left at halftime of a 14-10 game, not to return. Many of our students are frontrunning tools who wouldn't miss a basketball game and probably couldn't name one player on our football team.

Carolyn Troupe 3 years, 8 months ago

I can understand if you thought you were going to be in the first row that you might be surprised if it was your first game, but being bumped all the way back to the fourth row ? Come on ! I would think your view would be better.
It's harder for us 'geezers' to understand all this. I don't remember having any problem or worry getting into a game in the Ted Owens era (and we had some good teams waaay back then, too), and we had a real fieldhouse then as well.

Scott MacWilliams 3 years, 8 months ago

Enough whine! Hey, get yer cheese already! The 4th row is still a great seat. Are you afraid you won't get your mug on ESPN?

When and why did you give up all the student seats, anyway?? When I was at KU in the early 90's, there were about 7400 student seats, as I recall.

How the heck did it dwindle to 4000?? And you don't even keep those filled?? Did you all just give it up?? Thats just ridiculous...