Kansas defeats Nebraska, 86-66

• 3 p.m., Feb. 5, 2011
  • Devaney Sports Center, Lincoln, NE

Sunday, February 6, 2011

A rising star: Brady Morningstar stellar against Huskers

Kansas players Markieff Morris (21) and Brady Morningstar (12) celebrate a three-pointer by Morris during the second half Saturday, Feb. 5, 2011 at the Devaney Center in Lincoln, Neb. Morningstar led all KU scorers with 19 points, followed by Markieff with 17.

— Brady Morningstar has been playing so well lately, he’s starting to remind his teammates of somebody whose jersey hangs in the Allen Fieldhouse rafters.

“Brady to me is playing like Kirk Hinrich,” Kansas University junior forward Marcus Morris marveled after watching senior guard Morningstar score 19 points off 5-of-7 three-point shooting and dish six assists against no turnovers in the Jayhawks’ 86-66 victory over Nebraska on Saturday in Devaney Center.

“He is shooting threes, getting to the basket, dishing it out. I think he’s been watching tapes of Kirk,” Morris added after scoring 16 points and grabbing seven rebounds.

Actually, Morningstar — who led KU in scoring for the first time in his career and tallied his highest point total in a Big 12 game (he had 14 versus Colorado on Jan. 25 and 14 versus K-State last season) — has been watching tape of a fellow guard.

But not Hinrich.

“Our video coordinator (Jeff Forbes) taped a couple games of Jimmer,” Morningstar said of BYU phenom Jimmer Fredette. “I saw some of the 40-point game he had.

“I’m not hopping on Jimmer’s back,” he added of copying Fredette, “but I saw how carefree he is, how much fun he has playing ball, and I think I’ve made an effort to play that way, too. To have more fun.”

Morningstar admittedly has a lot more fun when his shot is falling. He has made 11 of his last 18 threes over four games after that horrid stretch in which he made two of 19.

“I had missed so many ... I knew they’d come in bunches once I started making them,” the 6-foot-3, 185-pound Morningstar said. “It feels good, but I’m not jolly about myself because that’s what I’m supposed to do. I guess you could say I’m back to normal.”

Morningstar said it was a coincidence he had such a stellar game (his five threes marked a season high) while making his first start since the Cal-Berkeley contest on Dec. 22.

He replaced Josh Selby, who sat out the game because of a stress reaction in his right foot. KU coach Bill Self said Selby could have played, but the foot is tender. He remains questionable for Monday’s home game against Missouri.

“There’s five people who play out there on the court. It’s no different coming off the bench or starting,” Morningstar said.

Self said he’d never lost confidence in Morningstar, even during the stretch of the season where he missed three after three.

“The basket looked like a thimble for two months. Now it’s opened up for him. He believes it’s going in. Confidence is a big part of life, not just sports,” Self added.

Perhaps Morningtar’s performance in his final game in Lincoln was fate. Believe it or not, his dad, Roger, scored an identical 19 points in KU’s 74-44 victory over NU on Feb. 5, 1975. That game, however, was in Allen Fieldhouse.

“The same date and everything,” Brady said. “That’s funny. That’s cool.”

Most cool for the Jayhawks was not only winning their 17th straight over NU and seventh straight in Lincoln, but playing much better than against the Huskers in Lawrence on Jan. 15. KU won, 63-60, in a game in which the Jayhawks trailed by 10 in the second half.

This time, KU opened to a 20-10 lead in the first seven minutes, then used a 10-2 run to stretch a 32-30 lead to 10-points with a minute left in the half.

The Jayhawks put this one away courtesy of a 15-3 run that stretched a 60-54 lead (10:07 left) to 75-57 with 5:18 remaining. Marcus Morris and Morningstar had five each in the run.

“In a strange way the first game helped us today because, and our guys know this, they controlled the game,” Self said. “Nebraska controlled that game for 25 minutes, and they were the far superior team in our building. I think there was not fear but a respect standpoint where we knew they could beat us if we didn’t give great effort. The first game was good preparation for this game. Offensively, that’s as good as we can execute.”

KU, which snapped NU’s 14-game homecourt win streak, became the first team to score 70 points against NU in Lincoln this season.

“We’ve had some success here lately,” Self said. “We like coming up here. I think the crowd is good. It’s a respectful crowd. It’s a good venue for us to come play, and I’ll miss that. I know there will be some scheduling issues (with NU joining the Big Ten next year) that probably won’t allow it to happen in the foreseeable future.”

Morningstar is happy the Jayhawks left Lincoln winners.

“I love coming here,” he said. “I love playing here, but we won’t be coming back. It’s good to get the last win in here.”

KU will meet Missouri at 8 p.m. Monday in Allen Fieldhouse.

Comments

JJHAWK 10 years, 2 months ago

Nice game Brady. Looks like you're getting to top of your game for the tourney. We need you!

Rock Chalk JayHawk

hawk316 10 years, 2 months ago

Coach Self very succinctly describes Morningstar's value to this team:

“As you’ve seen three years with him playing ... we look better, the ball just moves when he’s out there,” Self said. “We get post touches. He knows how to play. It was just a matter of time before the lid came off."

Great game, Brady! Nice to see your shot is back.

Funhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

Brady is fun. So was Roger when he played, a scrappy Pistol Pete scoring machine.

Scott MacWilliams 10 years, 2 months ago

Hey Brady! Way to pop the lid off the hoop! This is your last ride, so you should be having some fun, and we're glad to see you in the grins again. Rock Chalk!!

Dubsix 10 years, 2 months ago

Man it's good to see Brady hittin shots again. If this years team can maintain this focus we will be tough to be in the tourney.

Also, where's all the Brady haters now?

kurules 10 years, 2 months ago

I am not a "Brady Hater". I think he deserves some time (8-10 minutes), but KU will not win a national title with him getting over 20 minutes a game. He has been on fire recently, but in games that are close he can't shoot. Mentally, he just doesn't have it. If the game is 5 points either way, mark my word...He WILL not knock the key shot down..Never has, never will. Call me a "Brady Hater" but he is NOT Mr. clutch by any means and when the game is not on the line, he looks like Larry Bird, but when it is, not so much..

YuCoJayHawk 10 years, 2 months ago

What KU player DOES look like Larry Bird when the game is on the line? Mario Chalmers? Geez, you don't ask for much do you. You certainly don't have to be Mr. clutch to help your team win a national title. Hence, the word team. This is a team game and Brady fits into this team beautifully. Sasha Kaun certainly wasn't Mr. clutch, but without his stellar performance vs. Davidson, KU probably doesn't survive that game and go on to win the 2008 national title. KU could most certainly win a national title this year with Brady playing 20 min a game in ALL 6 tment games, there is no doubt about it.

TenaciousD 10 years, 2 months ago

Nice points, YoCoJay. The Sasha comparison is a great one. And teams rarely win the NC without some sort of senior leadership, even if it's the glue guy or bench players. Brady and Tyrel are having a major positive effect on this team, whether they are high-scorer or not. Put the pedal down, Brady. We need you peaking at the right time.

James Miller 10 years, 2 months ago

When he is hitting the 3-ball, Brady is devastating. I know you play Tyrel and Josh first, but Brady needs his minutes, and if either of those other guys is off of their game, he can eat a lot of minutes. This guy is productive even when his shot is not falling. When it is fallinf he should get about 20 min or more.

jhox 10 years, 2 months ago

kurules, you're yet a another poster who seems to only see what's taking place at the basket. The best teams are not loaded with 5 scorers. They typically have 2 or maybe 3 scorers, and the other guys are chemistry guys, who have other roles. Brady is one of those guys. Along with a healthy Releford, he's one of the two best on ball defenders on the team. This is not a particularly good defensive team, so we need all of those kind of guys we can get.

Like Coach Self says, the ball just moves better with Brady in there. That's not a coincidence. Brady is the best player on the team at making the entry pass to the interor guys. I would have no problem with Brady in at crunch time. He's the guy on the team who is, absolutely, the guy most likely to find the open teammate for the easy bucket. When he's shooting like he has the last few games, that's just icing on the cake.

GDHAWKS 10 years, 2 months ago

I'll trust HCBS on who will play and how many minutes. If you know anything about basketball, you need people that can run the offense. play D, and be a coach on the floor. Bill Self is the best last minute coach in the game!!!

kranny 10 years, 2 months ago

If KU doesn't win the nat. Champ., it will be because they shoot 64 percent from the line, not because BM gets 20 mins a game. Remember '03 against the Cuse and Memphis. In tight games, free throws win championships.

Matt1958 10 years, 2 months ago

How much eligibility do you have left? Maybe you're the answer.

Larry Smith 10 years, 2 months ago

Well, had there not been such a robust conversation about Brady on the post game discussion, I would put the over/under at 175 comments. That and it's a sunday, so I will go 150.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

Superbowl Sunday too....

But I'll still take the over.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

(in my best Adam Sandler voice)...

Oh my God, I am the Winnnnner.....

Kye Clark 10 years, 2 months ago

Did anybody else think it was a load of crap when one of the Morris twins (I want to say it was Marcus) got called for that technical (as part of a double technical with Diaz)? All he did was help the guy up. Didn't even look like he said anything bad to the guy. I know the refs were trying to get control of the game, but giving one of our best players a technical (and thus counting one towards his personal foul total) that early in the game could have hurt us. Thankfully it didn't, but it a game that was expected to be physical it wouldn't have surprised anyone to see one or more of our bigs get into foul trouble. That bogus call helping that along would have played right into Nebraska's hands, and I hate when the refs are so inept and think the only way they can keep things from getting out of hand is to start throwing Ts around.

YuCoJayHawk 10 years, 2 months ago

I agree that it looked as if Marcus just helped Diaz up, but after that, it is anyone's guess what was said between the two. It didn't look like either of them were too riled up, but whatever was said must have included the magic words, cuz the ref T'd them up instantly.

Did anyone notice any KU player called for a charge vs. Nebraska? I don't remember one, and I don't remember the last time I don't remember that. :)

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 2 months ago

Maybe because they were able to hit anything they wanted from the outside? They usually get those charges trying to force it into the clogged middle. This time, if they couldn't throw it into the bigs, they just shot a three.

Ron Franklin 10 years, 2 months ago

I agree with you ict, but the problem is that the Twins have completely run all leniency they were going receive out the door by playing with bad attitudes toward the referees for 2.5 years. I understand this isn't the way it should be, but it is............league referees talk about them.....they will never be given a break.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 2 months ago

I agree .. refs are lazy. It's easier to simply call a double-technical that actually assign fault. If they don't know what was said, then there shouldn't be a tech.

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

"Some Ways You Know Fizzou Is Next"

~Pest Control company hired to tent visitor's bench after Monday night's game.

~Signs being placed in Visitor's Locker Room distinguishing between drinking fountains and toilets.

~Mike Anderson voodoo dolls being flown in from Port au Prince, Haiti.

~Antlers sighted on I-70 dipping drinking straws into port-o-potty reservoirs half way between Columbia and Kansas City.

~Missouri vanity plates reading "Incest Is Best" seen on cars caravan-ing toward Lawrence.

~Rash of large animal rapes reported by farmers along I-70 between Columbia and Kansas City.

~Manure sculptures of William Quantrill and Norm Stewart dedicated at the Missouri Hall of Self-Loathing and KU Envy."

~"That Was Easy" buzzers being placed at all exits to Allen Field House in anticipation of celebrating KU ass whipping of Fizzou.

~MU Cheerleaders voted "Most Aesthetically Challenged" in online poll at KUSports.com.

~Restaurant at Lawrence hotel where MU fans will be segregated offering two favorites of Tiger Fans: manure souffle and unevacuated skunk glands.

~Lawrence sanitary land fiil announced as designated tail gating party site for MU fans.

~Reading Is Fundamental issues KU-MU game commemorative poster a Mark Twain quote:"A person who won't read has no advantage over an Antler who can't read."

~Game day sign seen in front of KU History Department Office: Great Moments in Missouri History--Coprophagy legalized, 1856.

~President Obama reportedly ready to declare Missouri to be in a state of national emergency, when KU finishes beating MU into the next dimension, however he plans to seen disaster funds to the Williams Fund.

Note: All fiction. No malice.

TenaciousD 10 years, 2 months ago

Good stuff, Jaybate! And I'm not too proud to admit that I learned a new word... coprophagy. Thanks. I'll see if I can use it sometime today in context. My day's challenge. Or I might just wait til Monday night to throw it out.

Awesome win at Nebraska. That, and the first half of the Baylor game were beautiful to watch. Like Bill Self poetry. Keep it up Hawks! (you too Jaybate).

s6u6r6f 10 years, 2 months ago

For what it's worth department, rumor has it subsidiary: I would never claim it, as libel is a crime, and without a doubt the man could rock, but national publications have suggested that Chuck Berry was/is a coprophage. And he was from Missouri (St Louis). Go figure. He always had that sh*t-eatin' grin! Rock chalk.

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

No, no, say it ain't so. Not my brown eyed handsome man! He is the true father of Rock and Roll! He is Zeus with a Gibson ES-350T throwing sonic bolts of life lightening. His hits are the Genesis of the Old Testament of rock. His early songs are the crazy joy of the life force transcending mushroom cloud monsters, Korean police action hallucinations, Jim Crow spectres, and the life wrenching grind of the old Ford assembly line where Chuck once worked. He have no particular place to go but to heaven to make Beethoven roll over! If this were true, if Chuck were a coprophage, then i would surely, like some virtual Oedipal Orpheus, have to put my eyes out with my mother's digital ocean broaches. I am nothing if not the immaculate conception of Chuck Berry and Cody's dharmic visions of Neil sweetening the snatch of the sunrise. Help me, help me, help me, I think I am going insane! Not Chuck! Not Chuck! Not Chuck! I won't believe it. Never. I'm getting me a boat, a rehabbed Mark Twain, or something older, maybe a Chris with two tone vinyl and a 318 with velvet drive, and going power boat suiciding on deNile of Missouri, on deBigEasy, deBlueMeridian, deDikedColossus, I'm followin' it up to deBigMuddy, I'm goin' up Beaucoup Creek Illinois way, I'm rammin' deThrottle on de318 all deWay forward, I'm jumpin' off deEeroArch, I'm sayin' deDouglas North didn't know shiz 'bout economic history and deInstitutions, I'm shoutin's St. Louis had no blues. Put me in coach, I'm ready to ski, and see, the Sphinx, today...Without Chuck, no Beatles, no Motown, no Stones, no Fogarty, no Maybelline, how can-it be true, ooo, ooo, Chuck gotta keep doin' those things he used ta do...

439utjargksfb..... (key strokes of jaybate's hands sliding down and off the keyboard as he collapses in a heap under his box.)

This is too much monkey business/for me to be involved in!

Oh, Chuckie B. Goode...please!!!!

ohmixmaster 10 years, 2 months ago

I love it! Chuck Berry AND X-Files references in the same day ("War Of The Coprophages" with the lovely Bobbi Phillips was a classic). Jaybate for President!!!

RCJH Muck Fizzu

Funhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

Jaybate knows Chuck Berry. Chuck Berry grew up in St. Louis listening to country western music on his radio. He liked it. Ever notice how Chuck Berry's bouncy '50s records sound like a combination of country and soul? St. Louis rock musicians back then mirrored St. Louis demographics, which was a combination of the north (St. Louis was a Union town in the Civil War), easterners ("St. Louis is an eastern city"), and the south, Ozark people moving to St. Louis looking for jobs.

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

I love Chuck Berry. He is a musical genius. Thanks for sharing about him and St. Louis. And country, and the really funky parts of swing, and the blues produced rock IMHO. Country was crucial.

KGphoto 10 years, 2 months ago

+1 to anything Chuck Berry. Yes, even that. I don't care.

You don't tug on Superman's cape You don't spit into the wind You don't pull the mask off the lone, lone ranger and You don't mess around with Chuck.

Anyone really interested in Chuck Berry needs to visit http://www.blueberryhill.com/ He plays there often. It's the real deal.

It's right in the heart of the best new area of music and entertainment in the midwest. The whole area has been renovated over the last decade or more. It used to be full of organized crime, until one man started buying up all the land and turning it into respectable businesses. He literally looked down the barrel of a gun more than once to do so. A crazy amazing story.

If you're in St. Louis, go down to the loop and enjoy being part of a wonderful, historical yet new, musical environment. And catch Chuck himself, playing just like he always has.

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 2 months ago

Coprophagy wasn't just a word used by our friend Jaybate, it could very well have been the headline, as it summed up a rather over theme to this post!!!

Dan Harris 10 years, 2 months ago

I could have gone the rest of my life without learning that new word! Thanks for the Sunday morning visual!

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 2 months ago

"Most Aesthetically Challenged"....Classic!!

Redlandsjhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

30 Days To a Stronger Vocabulary by Jaybate available at Amazon.com

Great stuff JB

Alohahawk 10 years, 2 months ago

I admit I was curious how Jaybate first found out about "coprophagy", so I looked the word up in my trusty abridged dictionary. Low and behold, there it was. "Coprophagy: Animal fodder. Commonly used to entice antlers to dinner. See also - antlers and Misery." And, under Misery: "Also none as the Coprophagy State." : - )

Alohahawk 10 years, 2 months ago

Oops. meant "Known as the Coprohagy State."

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

Thx to all that got a laugh. To those that didn't, I'll get better.

JHawkfan32 10 years, 2 months ago

hahaha that was hilarious. i really liked the coprophagy bit

Brianna Zaleski 10 years, 2 months ago

Jaybate, That's good stuff and had me chuckling this morning. I just finished a 3 am feeding for my newborn daughter and am waiting for her to fall back asleep. Had a nice chuckle while I wait. Thanks

Manure souffle:) WTF? That is a warped mind to think of gold like that

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

That makes me very happy if I lightened your load a little. That is one of the fondest memories of my life, but also one of the hardest times. Hang in. It is worth all of the effort, at least it was for me.

Funhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

"Manure souffle" reminds me of the cattle on our farm lightening their load. My memory of "manure souffle" was often looking down onto the ground so I didn't accidentally step in it. Then when you took off your shoes and britches at the end of the day, you saw the manure souffle hanging onto your clothes, and who knows where else you unknowingly spead it. As usual, you thought you had avoided it all day. Regardless, that manure meant money for Kansas farmers, and black gold for urban composters of today.

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

Great to hear from you. You just never know what will trigger memories!

Edward Daub 10 years, 2 months ago

Great to see Brady scoring in bunches again!

Welcome back , Brady "Bunch" Morningstar!

mandomax 10 years, 2 months ago

Gosh I love that photo of Robinson dunking. The expression on the Nebraska forward's face really shows how the whole team must have felt in the locker room.

Alohahawk 10 years, 2 months ago

I like the expressions on the crowd's faces in the Brady picture. They don't look too happy.

duanep5ku 10 years, 2 months ago

I love the Brady Karma from this game. I mean c'mon you have to admit It's kinda cool that Brady had such a good game against NU. All season on this message board we kept hearing from a Nebraska troll hating on Brady Morningstar all year and how great Doc is and how he out coached Bill Self in their 1st game,even though Bill still won the game. Well Nebraska troll I have two words for you to deal with Brady Morningstar and his sorry ass beat you yesterday again. Oh, Yeah NU happy trails to you. Nebraska good luck in the big 10 and maybe it will work out for you OK.

duanep5ku 10 years, 2 months ago

I was talking about jawhawkerinnebra- Who used to visit this site daily spewing is Brady bashing on here, It just got tiring to read about him everyday on here from that poster. But since you opened your big mouth about my post. I want to help you understand my post before you insert you two cents in.

bad_dog 10 years, 2 months ago

Speaking of "bottom-feeders", how long will it be until you give that loser name of yours a rest?

Why do you use the Kansas statutory reference to indecent liberties with a child as your loser name?

bad_dog 10 years, 2 months ago

You need a new user name that isn't inherently offensive. Either that or a plausible reason why you use the Kansas statutory reference to indecent liberties with a child as your "loser" name.

Still waiting for the explanation and you can expect to keep hearing my requests until you do so.

brooksmd 10 years, 2 months ago

Hit the wrong reply button. That +1 was intended for bad_dog's comment.

bad_dog 10 years, 2 months ago

Not sure why you're commenting about my post Jaybate, particularly given you previously remarked "good catch" to another person who commented about the despicable name. I don't comment about the frequency and Micheneresque volume of your posts despite innumerable opportunities to do so (and the fact numerous other posters take you to task for it). Whenever you post something I consider tedious, boring or redundant, I just skip over it. Perhaps you should consider doing so as well.

Aside from the single simple question I pose to KSA there is no copy & paste aspect to my posts. The only redundancy found in my posts involves KSA's "loser" name. All he/she/it needs to do is either provide a plausible reason for using a heinous and despicable act as his user name or change it. I couldn't care less about the content of the posts otherwise.

So fellow Jayhawks is the Kansas statutory reference to indecent liberties with a child an acceptable user name? I don't believe it is. If so, perhaps I'm logging on to the wrong board.

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

Let me first say, after reading duanep5ku's post, that I am not that Nebraska troll he was mentioning. That's a different poster. I am , however, someone who questioned earlier this season what Morningstar can contribute to this team besides feeding the post. I still hold to my opinion that he is not the "lock down" defender that analysts and others make him out to be. He is a decent defender that lacks speed and quickness. However, if Morningstar is able to shoot the rock, it does make our offense that much better because there is attention on him as well which in turn opens up the inside game. If he can start playing with confidence on a consistant basis, I think he deserves some p-time (and that p isn't for pine). I just hate to see time taken away from someone that is as explosive as Selby because I do think he's a game changer. He too lacks consistancy though.

By the way, superior ball movement yesterday. And a lot of that is contributed to Morningstar being in the game. Great game, Brady..keep it up!

duanep5ku 10 years, 2 months ago

Sorry, I should have said my post was towards jayhawkerinnebra- I definintly was not talking about you. I know your right about Brady but since he's a Kansas player and Self is the coach for better or worse Brady will play.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 2 months ago

Yeah..NebraskaJayhawk has a much better command of English than our favorite Neb troll.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

I actually agree that Brady's defensive skills have been a bit over-hyped. He has allowed defenders to drive by him more than a true lock-down defender would. He's a good, above average defender, but not as great as some make him out to be.

That being said, there are a number of things he does that are tremendously UNDER-hyped, and he faces more criticism from KU fans than any player I can remember, which is weird for a guy hailing from Lawrence with a former Jayhawk for a dad. Self is absolutely correct that the ball does move better with him on the floor, and while he can force a pass every now and then (everybody who ever played the game does so from time to time), he is an excellent post feeder. If his shot continues to fall, we will be that next level team.

And if he continues to knock down those shots while a healthy Selby continues to progress as an aggressive driver -- with Marcus playing at POY levels -- we will create a brand new level.

This team is coming together at just the right time.

Steve Gantz 10 years, 2 months ago

So when we win the NC this year will it be called the Brady Bunch?

KU_FanSince75 10 years, 2 months ago

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha---I mean 83, 83, 83-----very funny!

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 2 months ago

Slow down now..Yes he has been playing MUCH better but the Morris brothers will be the ones who will take us there IF we make it. I'm ready to put Brady ahead of EJ coming off the bench, not ready to call him the anointed one. But I get the feeling that what you said was meant as a jest..I think

ilovebill 10 years, 2 months ago

Some numbers to ponder....

All time wins:

Kansas at 2025 UNC at 2020 Kentucky at 2039

Ron Franklin 10 years, 2 months ago

i appreciate that regardless of the totals, you still put us on top!!-)

100 10 years, 2 months ago

Does this include the UK victories using Eric Bledsoe or the UK victory since having Coach Larry Brown step on the court & coach the UK team for a week?

How about the three UK point shaving seasons?

Are those included too?

kcglowboy 10 years, 2 months ago

19 points on 5 of 7 shooting. Six assists. Zero turnovers. And the guy can guard. And still there are people on this board who apparently can't stand the sight of him. Seriously, what is wrong with you people? He's a role player, and he's good at it. And HCBS trusts him. So tell me, Brady dis-likers, SERIOUSLY, what's the problem? You just don't know how to be happy unless you're unhappy?

AsadZ 10 years, 2 months ago

could not have said any better. What really impressed me in yesterday's game was ball movement. Man, the ball was moving all around and fast. Nebraska with all their defensive skills were left wondering how to handle that passing. That was beautiful offensive display. Kudos to the coaches and the players. Keep it up.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 2 months ago

OakvilleJHawk Theory on missing posters:

1] Jayhawkinnebr discovered the Brady Bunch website so now has a whole family to bitch about.

2] Soobawls switched her focus onto the Kentucky Wildcat website where she has a truly sucka$$ team coached by John Crapapari so she can make legitimate criticisms all day.

3] KY1_ Wildcats finally realized that UK is not only NOT the best team in the universe but not even the best team in the crappy SEC, had his head explode in shattering shock.

4] Anthonyzal got tired of losing arguments with kushaw.

5] Miscellaneous Missouri Trollers who have a team that can only win at home. Last time I looked, none of the NCAA Tournament Rounds are scheduled for Columbia this year!!!!

If anyone else is curious about missing posters, please let me know and I will send out my crack team of investigators to track them down.

PS KU-85, MU-72

Alohahawk 10 years, 2 months ago

MU gets 66. Our defense has been stuck on that number for three games in a row. KU between 86 and 90.

RCJH Beat MU. One at a time Hawks.

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

Oak, time for you to ditch building space, and replace Anthony LaPaglia on Without a Trace!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 2 months ago

Interesting side note:

If you check the box scores from the previous half dozen games or so, you all will see that Kansas is sometimes a freethrow or basket from having 5 or 6 guys in double figures. That kind of diversity wins NC's...just sayin'.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 2 months ago

Speaking of FTs, I just hope we can improve as a team before it bites us in the a$$!

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 2 months ago

What?!?! Still no word from KY_CATSuck?!?! I watched the game last night against the Gators and was unimpressed. UK plays totally street-ball...guys just looking for their shot to improve their draftability. Already six losses...granted they have had a lot of close ones, but experience wins those games. Calipari is going to learn the hard way that one-and-dones will NOT get it done. ESPN's Shulman was basically mocking Calipari for not believing that winning the SEC should be a goal year-in/year-out. UK will not make the Sweet 16...may not even win in the first round. Just lovin' the fact that we're gaining ground on them in total wins and starting to leave UNC in the rear-view. Rock Chalk!!!

bradynsdad 10 years, 2 months ago

Respectable fans? I always thought Nebraska had respectable fans until the a moment last night when the ball went out of bounds and one of the fans leaned forward to scream in marcus' ear. Did anyone else see that? That was pretty low class. Also I agree the technical on Marcus for helping Diaz up was crap. I wish we played Texas again. Nothing against them but every announcer and analyst continues to talk about how they handled Kansas without mentioning the circumstances ku was under. The only one that truly acknowledges it is jay bilas. He is about the only real unbiast analyst.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, I saw that too. Thought it was funny that Marcus looked to be laughing at the dude.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 2 months ago

...and, of course, the usual chants of "DUI" every time Brady stepped to the line.

Kye Clark 10 years, 2 months ago

As much as everyone hates the guy, Dick Vitale acknowledged the circumstances of the KU-Texas game a couple of times last week when he called our game against KSU. He said it was a case of emotional fatigue. I agree though that Jay Bilas is the best.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 2 months ago

You never know what was actually said..It could have been something funny.

Greg Lux 10 years, 2 months ago

Great game Brady. Now for the problem ... We have 4 perimeter players who deserve to start. History has show us our team is better offensively with Brady in the game. Tyrel is playing far to good to not be in the game. Josh has just started to turn on the burners and needs to be in there. So that leaves us with TT. He is good and bad in every game. I have never seen a player with so much talent go brain dead at a moment and then make a great play the next. Josh is a point guard in the future or maybe now. I don't relish HCBS's choice on this one. Brady makes this team so much better I don't know how you can not play him. So someone is going to have to sit .. Josh if healthy can't so we will just have to wait and see what happens I guess. Nice problem to have to deal with coach.

Rock Chalk

Kye Clark 10 years, 2 months ago

I think Brady is the obvious choice, because he is used to coming off the bench. He has no ego in that regard. He will still get his minutes, probably more than Josh and TT and will be in there at the end of tight games, but if you're simply talking about starting Brady will probably head back to the bench. I would love to see Josh starting at the point to see what happens. I don't know that we can afford to lose Tyshawn's defense. He is our best on-ball defender. Not sure how a return to playing the 2 would affect him.

Alohahawk 10 years, 2 months ago

Agree mostly, but you write as if we have only one option: Three get to play while one won't get to play. All four are going to get major minutes.TT is the only one of the four who seems a bit distressed when he doesn't start. But I don't foresee any of the four losing it completely, like Drew did at North Carolina. This team, as HCBS has said on numerous occasions, loves to play and they love each other. TRob's misfortune has strengthened that bonding. Better to have too many at a position, than to have too few. So, not a problem.

Your analysis of Selby playing the point is well taken. I think he would fit better in that role. Due to his previous role as point in high school, he has had to adjust to the two guard, and I believe his drives would be more successful, as would his threes, if he starts with the ball in his hands.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 2 months ago

In honor of our Border War rivals:

Ask yourself this .. how can a team play college basketball for over a century and NOT make it to one final four? The answer is only in Columbia ---- Dartmouth, Duequesne, Colorado, Holy Cross, Baylor, NYU, Wichita St., NC-Charlotte, SMU, Drake, Dayton, Iowa St., Seattle, and for goodness sake, Santa Clara, have all obtained Final Four immortality. But Missouri ... well, they haven't. They watch it on TV. Rooting against their rival. One wonders how, in 110 years, there can't be at least one fluke? Incompetence can outweigh odds if it significant. Heck, didn’t the entire tournament only have eight teams at one time? Oh, that’s right, they had to win the conference to get in. The Tiggers have attained immortality, all right, but in a way only Missouri can.

Has a school's fans ever held a higher opinion of themselves for no apparent reason? This school hired Quinn Snyder over coach Self. MU is kind of a “mousse in the hair” school. Their previous excellent hire, Larry Smith. He didn’t have “an internet.” This school forced Norm Stewart to leave, for Quinn Snyder. Has anyone ever referred to the Missouri coaching tree? More like a shrub, or weed. This school rests in a state with highways in shambles, major cities are mired in urban decay, and banjos play relentlessly further south, for those seeking deliverance from misery. Canoe trip anyone? This school prides themselves on their civil war history in the border war .. as a slave state. They pride themselves on the fact that they tried to convince Kansans, by murder and mayhem, to leave ranks of free states and joint the Confederacy. And its basketball arena, first known as the "Paige" Sports arena, was named for a college student who attended USC, and who paid a student to do work for her .. allegedly. Now it is simply Mizzou arena. Very original. Perhaps they could have harkened back to their basketball heritage, and pulled a name worthy of recognition ... word is they tried. They may still be trying. Word is they may name it after their best player of all-time ... Doug Smith.

Mizzou fans are known to "storm the court" for wins .. in January .. against Oklahoma. They've been known to start the season in the top 5, only to finish in the NIT. But just making the tournament is success. Heck, just making the NIT is success. Their favorite March past-time is rooting against their rival. And their March tradition is buying and wearing t-shirts of schools that beat their rival, in the tournament that they aren’t in. But this is a school that had to run “deals” to get their basketball tickets purchased. And this is a school that defines its existence by their rival’s failures. And this all makes sense to them.

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

First paragraph alone...

Posting Hall of Fame!

Jack Wilson 10 years, 2 months ago

(cont) A lack of real identity caused MU to be known as a softball school for a time, and they continue to emphasize their school of journalism. Point well taken -- that is absolutely wonderful. Something south of a debate national championship, though. They are so sure about their existence that they lobbied the legislature to keep Missouri State from becoming "Missouri State", preferring the less threatening Southwest Missouri State. Their football stadium sits on Champions Drive, yet has there ever been a real "championship?" I’m sorry, did you know that MU did win a national championship … in indoor track .. in 1965. That’s as real as it gets in Columbia. As real as the gas station robberies, violent crime, and crime index areas that rank 11 out of 100 .. that’s right, 100 is the safest, and 11 is “Escape from New York” .. in Columbia. Their police chief, outside of his normal duties, scuffles with KU fans that simply have a banner stating “Allen Fieldhouse East” .. the KU fans are booted out of the arena and arrested. Of course, our fans were later cleared by a Columbia police internal investigation. But no apology.

Their fans scream bloody murder when their own player steps out of bounds, sure that the ref moved the line. Ignorant fans, they just don’t know any better. Their all-male fan grouping, the Antlers, sit around and giggle about making phone calls to opposing players' rooms .. it's their calling card, after all ... all the while spending lots of time together, in hotel rooms .. not sure what the antlers are for; don't want to know. The revel in heckling opposing players Their favorite lines involve bringing up that a player’s brother is disabled, or referring to one of their body parts and a player’s sister, or simply yelling obscenities with no logical end. And MU security permits it .. all in fun. Their explanation? All colleges have fans like this. Of course, there was some drinking with coach Eustachy .. Natty light, I hear. Has a school every had major success yanked away at the last moment like this pathetic institution? The NU football "kicked" TD (“flea kicker”) in the last seconds as fans run onto the field, thinking they had won. Tyus Edney. Did you hear me? Tyus freaking Edney! Ricky Clemons, and jail, and Carmento Floyd, and taped phone calls and ATVs, and broken ribs. Beautiful. A #1 football ranking only to get punked by a real football school. The following season was to be THE season, but it crumbles without a Chase. A quarterback that digs deep in his nose, on national TV .. much like Spalding. Their “best football season ever” resulted in a trip .. to the Cotton bowl. They are unsure of what BCS really means. It’s a conspiracy. And, of course, a 5th down to defeat vs. Colorado.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 2 months ago

(cont) It is cruel, isn't it? MU is a school that still longingly harkens back to its confederate civil war history, that has such little tradition in any sport, that can’t ever really win anything, and that has an inflated self-image .. but deep down, they know. They know. In the end, Missouri will always shoot themselves in the foot. And they always wish they were born a Jayhawk.

Give a jeer for Mizzou's Tigers! A big game loss each time we play. Give a jeer for Mizzou's Tigers! And our Tigers will go down to defeat today. We've got the team that flames out each time; We've got the team that knows defeat! Give a cheer for Mizzou's Tigers! And our Tigers will lose today! Give a jeer for Mizzou's Tigers! And our Tigers will lose today!

Grrrrr Tigers.

Hawks 80 Tiggers 66

Redlandsjhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

Wow great post. You should submit it to the St. Louis Post Dispatch and the Kansas City Star if they're still in print.

Hank Cross 10 years, 2 months ago

Sums up why MU was never going to the B10. It was pure delusions of grandeur induced by meth and bad moonshine.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 2 months ago

As a native Missourian, I am not sure I could argue against any of these statements except one......how about a little slack for us Missourians who recognized where we were and, despite constant ridicule, hostility and always being in the minority, found, chose and have embraced being a Jayhawk despite all obstacles.

Trust me, it's easier to be born into something than to change your mindset completely and embrace a higher truth.

I love my state...I'm just not that crazy about a lot of people in it!! Having Toasted Ravioli, Ted Drewes Frozen Custard and the St.Louis Cardinals can't be all bad!!!!

PVJayhawk 10 years, 2 months ago

Good for you Oakville!

Not all Missourians are bad.

jaybate 10 years, 2 months ago

As St. Augustine made clear long ago, reformed sinners make the best saints.

You are not only reformed, you are redeemed and granted sainthood in the free state!

Jack Wilson 10 years, 2 months ago

Man .. a Cardinals fan and a Jayhawks fan; you are livin' right.

There are glimmers of light in seas of darkness .. glad you're a hawk.

Kye Clark 10 years, 2 months ago

Great stuff, a few new wrinkles from last year. The only thing I'd inquire is about the football stadium. Last year after you posted this I shared it with a Misery fan who told me their football stadium does not sit on Champions Drive. Seems like I checked and he was right. Otherwise, still hilarious the second time around.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 2 months ago

As an fyi, Champions Dr. is the E/W street that sits right between Faurot Field and Mizzou arena. Physical address is on Stadium Blvd., the E/W street to the north of Faurot .. perhaps the fact that Champions Dr. runs between the two adds to the lore ...

And I'll have to add oxcal's mention on the Big 10 fiasco.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 2 months ago

That was High Elite material..The worst road trip I ever took while @KU was to Mizzou. I can honestly say that I was worried for the safety of me and my girlfriend after we won a close game.

duanep5ku 10 years, 2 months ago

HighEliteMajor, great posts,Instant Classics

SDSurferFan 10 years, 2 months ago

Interesting that he watched Jimmer. If his takeaway was to play fun n loose like Jimmer than a brilliant move. That was probably the missing ingredient in Bradys game. Not complaining, because he has righted the ship, but isn't he a sixth year senior that has already graduated? I would say this is as free and easy as life will get for him.

I went to the SDSU game last night, and I thought that these kids are experiencing the absolute time of their lives. Sounds like he is realizing it.

KU_FanSince75 10 years, 2 months ago

I have mentioned this before, but used to coach High School and Middle School basketball players and I would say a lot, "Go out there and have fun!!!!" It really breaks the ice for someone playing nervous.

Glad Brady is having fun playing. The comparison of a care-free player to Jimmer Fredette is a good one! I hope this continues. And, I hope we get Selby back soon! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

SDSurferFan 10 years, 2 months ago

Is KU better with Brady starting? Does KU have time for Selby to adjust?

IMHO. BS stuck with the Sherron and X formula through thick n thin last year and the final outcome was brutal. I think we are better but would hate to go in the tourney still adjusting to Selby. This is where the UNIs of the field know who they are and do some damage on more talented teams.

KULA 10 years, 2 months ago

Great road win for the hawks. I hope they can continue to shoot threes at 54% for the rest of the year. However, I gotta say, I don't feel good about our chances in the tourney if free throw % doesn't improve and the twins continue to shoot as many 3's as non-3's. Is that really what you want--your bigs settling for 3's? As per Brady, isn't it amazing how a kid's confidence will blossom when a coach continues to show confidence in him no matter what? Great tonic for 3pt shooting, that confidence stuff. Wish BS would start showing a little confidence in some of the other guys instead of yanking for every mistake. But still, great road win. Keep hitting those 3's at 54% and we should breeze through the tournament, guys!

kranny 10 years, 2 months ago

Surferfan, I think there's a lot of psychology and strategy that goes into who starts and who doesn't. Despite the posters on here, Brady is a good defender and a smart one. The problem is his endurance. Against Nebraska he can play 20 mins but against a better team with more scorers he gets gased quicker. I feel his role is to come off the bench as a defender first, offensive catalyst next. From the bench he's able to see the floor and pick his angles on the guys he will defend. Oddly enough, I think this team is better this year than last because X and Cole went to the League. I always felt that it was Sherron, Cole, and X with a supporting cast. Without Cole and X, every player this year feels they need to step up on both ends of the court and it's made players like TRob drive to the basket to score- basically force them to develop skill-wise instead of simply being a role player. Offensively they are hard to guard because there are so many different scorers. Last year, if you shut down Collins you shut down the team especially against good teams.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 2 months ago

BTW...keep voting, folks!!! Tyrel has opened up quite a lead!!!

You can vote from multiple computers a day, i.e., home and work.

KGphoto 10 years, 2 months ago

I'm sorry. Dickie V. may have jumped the shark. He may be bias to the East Coast. He may love N.C. and Duke a little too much. But he is not a jerk, and he does not have disdain for KU. That's a little much. He fell all over himself the other night, apologizing, calling himself an idiot etc.

He deserves a little better treatment than that.

bdk980 10 years, 2 months ago

I was watching a game last night that Dick was calling. I think it was the UK-Florida game. He started talking about basketball tradition and legacy and started running off names of schools like... Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, etc.. left out Kansas completely... it wasn't until the other announcer chimed in "and don't forget Kansas."

Dick Vitale has a bias. I'm not going to sit hear and say he hates KU (because I don't think he does) but I don't think he respects our program to the extent that any reasonable fan of the GAME of college basketball should.

kranny 10 years, 2 months ago

Dickie v is all sound and no substance.

kranny 10 years, 2 months ago

This is the same guy that picked KU 5th in the big 12. He knows squat about talent.

Scott Lippoldt 10 years, 2 months ago

Please keep posting this every day--Thanks!

Robert Murphy 10 years, 2 months ago

Maybe Brady has been saving the best for last. Lately he's been looking like a new man out there. In fact, the whole team has been showing some new life. Now all we need is TT to start playing to his potential. We might have to give Bill Self an award after the Jayhawks win another national title.

4jhawks4ku 10 years, 2 months ago

Anyone else think the travelling calls on Marcus and Tyshawn were BOGUS make up calls?

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 2 months ago

Better than Jimmer Fredette? You're joking right? Jimmer Fredette has 7 games this season w/over 30pts including 4 over 40. Fredette averages over 4 assists a game and 41% from the 3. Fredette will be a 1st round draft pick.

Hank Cross 10 years, 2 months ago

The worst day for Jimmer is better than Brady's best day. Brady scores 19 and some people around here thinks he's ready for the NBA. Brady has had a grand total of 3 double digit scoring games this season and it's time to kill the fatted calf. OTH Keeton Page averages 14 ppg and has scored 20+ five times.

jayhawktalk 10 years, 2 months ago

I like Page - was just thinking the other day while watching him that he plays tough the RIGHT way, in contrast to Dirty Sanchez @ Cal - but there is no comparison to be made between Brady and Page, better or worse, especially when talking scoring. Brady is far from KU's primary scoring option; Page would be a KU role player, too, and scoring less, if a Jayhawk. Definitely like the guy, though. He has come a long way since "Little People, Big World".

waywardJay 10 years, 2 months ago

It's a new revelation to me. Snoopy Morningstar, rising star.

It's rare to have abreak out sneipr ( not named Darnell Jackson), but truly a 5th year senior who meteorically rise from teh depth charts and sinks 3 pointer after 3 pointer, and everyone wants to shake his hand.

I have no Malice against the boy, i just don't think he's all that good of a player. On his best day, he's good for Game high and quite a few helpers, on his worst day he gets torched off the dribble by Powerhouse Miami of OH and ends up with .5 a/to ratio....

Honesty he's somewhere in between. When he shoots well. he's legit division 1 bakc up, when he shoots poorly he's Division 2 starter. On defense, he gives up about 10-15 a game on average to whoever he's guarding.... That person is usually game high because brady doesn't take him all game.... sometimes it's a split like against baylor... Brady was responsible for 8 of lace's 13 ... and I would bet all of acy's 4.... We envision a defensive stopper and Brady hasn't been one since his Sophmore season when people foudn out you couldn't just do one thing against him. he's smart enough to know his limitations and gives space when he needs it.... which leaves him vulnerable for rise and fire guards....

This speed issue is not an issue with other guards who produce on similiar level to Brady, nor is it an issue to someone like Travis Releford when Healthy can provide better defensive ability: faster, taller and stronger player. Travis is not as tested a shooter, but the key difference between them is marginal.

Mizzou has an interesting matchup for Brady.... They start 6-1 Michael Dixon, 6-3 Marcus Denmon and 6'6 Kim English. Tyshawn should pull the best scorer, which is currently Denmon. So, who do we match Brady on 6'1 Michael Dixon or Kim English. Brady's listed at 6'4 and Tyrel's listed at 6'3. Brady should grab English.... unless Self decides tyshanw's a better matchup for Englihs because of his wingspan.... Eitherway we are giving up something.....

waywardJay 10 years, 2 months ago

(cont.)

Brady Guards 6-1 Dixon, Dixon's faster than him and will beat him off the dribble. Even allowing for the two extra steps brady will give him. Dixon's just under 40 % for three..... it's reasonable to think that Dixon's ability to drive and Kick and shoot on Brady could raise him higher,and one of their post's higher in point production because of being guarded by brady..... Say dixon goes from just under 11 to 15 and an extra assist a game....15 and 5, that's 25 on the low end of the scale Brady would have to account for on the offensive end to simply off set that number .... ( The best Defender for him in my eyes would be Tyrel )

Brady Guards 6'3 Michael Denmon..... Not as much of a threat to pass as Dixon, but alot more accurate shooter, and scorer.... Could go for 25 on any of our defenders, reasonably. shouts 46% from 3, so Brady would not be allowed any room to give him, so that's going to mean he gets burnt consistantly. 78 % free throw shooter. Could be a real long day for our Bigs, which are our biggest strength against Mizzou. Let's say brady hadnles his scoring pretty well and keeps him to 19 ( alot of free throws ) and his assists go up because he is able to pass.... 19 and 4..... again that's 27 points that Brady will be responsible for on the other end.... ( the Best defender in my eyes for him would be Tyshawn )

Brady Guards 6'6 Kim English. Can shoot over Brady already. Is faster than brady already, is more athletic than Brady already. Just under 40 % from three so Brady cannot cheat off of him. Has the speed to drive and kick or simply finish in the lane past Brady< over Brady and against the bigs. Averaging a low 10.4 a game, this kid could be an elite scorer, though.... Denmon's been their hot hand, but English is probably their best player. Not much of a passer, he prefers to scorer and defend, which would actually help Brady... Even after he beats brady initially less of thereat to dump it off, allowing for better potential to recover..... his average really could go up on this... he's had a few real bad games shooting or this number would be alot higher.... trust me... he's a threat. Could score 21 points and 2 assists, ( Best defender for him in my eyes wwould be Travis Releford )

So no matter who Brady Guards he will have to score about 15 and dish 5 to off set this scoring matchup.... And thus is really the problem with Brady. He rarely if ever offsets the man/men he is guarding.... In most games, we have equal or better match ups in other positions ( against mizzou it will be the post men... Specifically Markieff over Ricardo Ratliffe... ) SO, brady's got his work cut out for him if mizzou Brings it.... If not, it won't much matter what happens ( LIke against Nebraska.)

jayhawktalk 10 years, 2 months ago

I think your premise is flawed. Best way to limit Mizzery's guards scoring = limit your own turnovers. Not specific to Brady, who is pretty stingy when it comes to TO's and rebound (offensive and defensive), but the entire team just needs to take care of the ball, and we win by 20+.

waywardJay 10 years, 2 months ago

my whole point was... if we have to start Brady ... where do we start him......

tyshawn should equal out the numbers of dixon. reed should keep denmon close Markieff should double ratliffe's production Marcus should double Safford's production....

The question is Can brady keep English ( or trade in who you want specifically thinkhe has the best chance of guarding ).....

I'm less concerned on the offensive end wit us turning the ball over... I expect we will have near 20 or possibly more turnovers...... But my major concern is Dribble penetration getting our greatest advatange ( our bigs ) into foul trouble.... If we are forced to go small consistantly against MIzzou... we are in trouble. Thomas is still foul prone, though a very soild substitution. We get marcus and markieff on the bench because of dribble pnetration by their guards, it's going to get us into a big mess trying to run our half court sets.....

Yeah< they will be at their best when scoring in transition, but truly this game will come down to the posessions both teams are in the half court.... If Mizzou just settles and jacks up three pointers, they will lose.... I don't think they can shoot a good enough percentage and i don't think BIgs are consistant enough to board those misses.... However, If they dribble penetrate on our slower guards ( read, Brady.... ) they can get to the line, where they shoot a decent percentage and can get our Bigs out of the game.... Taking Marcus and Markieff out of the game for us will gut us.....

So, Yeah I get back to my point.... English v. Brady.... Can Brady stay infront of him and keep our bigs out of foul trouble.....

PS.... Brady's turned it over now 27 times on the year.... that will be second most of any guard playing in this game, only Tyshawn and JOsh have more turnovers than Brady.... So .... while that is just over a turnover a game, this is traditionally the style of team that we will turn it over more against...... and Brady's biggest passing weakness is out on the perimeter where their guards will be jumping the lanes consistantly trying to deny the ball movement and try to slow us down offensively.... Brady had 5 turnovers last year against mizzou, and 5 the year before. He's struggled with this sort of team in the past.... it's logical to think he will again.

jayhawktalk 10 years, 2 months ago

If just talking concern about Brady on quicker guards, I get that. Brady is a 1/2 step slower than probably any of the MU guards, and likely a full step slower than P. Pressey. I'd probably put Brady on English or Denmon, but I doubt there's any way around our bigs having to help cut off dribble penetration, not limited to whoever Brady is guarding. Then again, they should help cutoff dribble penetration, but are often slow to rotate over. I worry more about Tyrel getting scorched on D than Brady, no Tyrel bashing intended.

Where we probably differ is in the importance of comparison via a need to offset point totals. This would mean that Cole's impact on a game last year was laughable, despite the way he completely changed the tone of a game with his presence inside. That Rodman was a horrible pro player, etc. While I think it is interesting looking at your analysis, and thank you for putting it together, as I see it, just a lot more to consider than point + assist output.

Not even completely convinced of this myself, but if this gets into a fast paced up and down game, I could see EJ having a big game... Maybe I should say, I look at this game, see the potential, and am pulling for EJ to have a breakout type game, at least offensively. Also hoping Releford is back to 100%; he still looked a little hobbled to me in the KSU & NU games.

Craig Colgin 10 years, 2 months ago

I must disagree. What I see is BM getting the tough assignment, i.e. Lace Dunn, because if TT gaurded him he might have twice as many points. Im not saying BM doesn't get beat on defense sometimes, he does, but all the others do too. TT has had more drivebys this season than a friday night in East St. Louis. I think Brady does his job well, stop the main threat from going off for 30 points.

Craig Colgin 10 years, 2 months ago

And, Im also a big fan of TT's improvement this year, and attitude, so no, Im not dogging him. I love em all!! But the truth is still the truth.

waywardJay 10 years, 2 months ago

Cragar, You must not have watched the part of the game where Tyshawn Guarded Lace... you know the first half.... when we stomped Baylor....

Brady's playing better, but he's stilla liability..... If we start Brady we need to keep him away from Denmon and Dixon... which means we will jsut have to Hope English is missing.....

No Selby hurts alot.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 2 months ago

Right, TT guarded Lace most of the game and Brady didn't fare well against him when he guarded Lace .. I looked back, possession by possession. But Lace was lazy, in my opinion, most of that game.

waywardJay 10 years, 2 months ago

he was sick, Hem. the second half the jones boys decided to make it them two against Kansas.....

Hank Cross 10 years, 2 months ago

Does the name Honeycutt of UCLA ring any bells? Brady's defense in the 2nd half of the UT game mainly consisted of fouling Hamilton from behind with his arms.

JHawkfan32 10 years, 2 months ago

Amazing how his dad scored the same # of points on that same date against that same team 35 years ago!!! Rok Chok JHawk

Steve Brown 10 years, 2 months ago

Our daughter, first in 6 generations not born in bleeding Kansas, she was born in Missouri 30 years ago for reasons too hard to repeat, just give it that when my wife's water broke she wouldn't let me drive 2.5 hours in the back seat of our '76 Pinto, to the state line to drop the baby at a Ks. rest stop, preferred a Columbia Hospital. They wouldn't let me forge a KS birth certificate. Even today, I keep one eye open when she is around my house, one brick short of a load, nice enough as long as the discussions don't get in depth.

Jesse James was a two gun man, Roll on Missouri Roll. Down our sewers and over the dam, Roll on Missouri Roll. Coach Famborough is our man, Roll on Missouri Roll. Allen's home of Jayhawk fans, Roll on Missouri Roll.