Friday, February 4, 2011

KU football recruits impressed by talent of class

Incoming football players discuss why they chose KU

Officially, Wednesday was National Signing Day. But the fanfare and excitement surrounding the Kansas University football program’s most recent recruiting haul spilled over into Thursday and doesn’t figure to stop there.

One day after unveiling a 2011 class that included 27 players from 11 states, coast-to-coast, several members of the class talked about what impressed them most about the first full recruiting class brought to Kansas by head coach Turner Gill.

“I am incredibly impressed with the raw talent that coach Gill brought in with this class,” said offensive lineman Luke Luhrsen, of Wheaton (Ill.) Warrenville South High. “(There’s) also some really great speed (on) offense and defense. A lot of people were saying that committing to KU was a leap of faith because of the 2010 season (in which KU finished 3-9), but I think it was easy to put faith in such an outstanding coaching staff. It really is looking like a good class.”

While the speed Luhrsen talked about was the theme of the class for Gill and his coaching staff — “The main thing is speed,” Gill said. “I want some guys that can flat-out run.” — the 6-foot-5, 265-pound lineman’s belief in the coaches seemed to be a common theme for most of the athletes who inked with the Jayhawks.

Jon Kirby, who covers KU recruiting for Rivals.com, said he recognized that very thing while talking with parents throughout the past several months.

“A big thing that plays in here is Turner Gill,” Kirby said. “When people get to know Turner Gill, who he is, what he stands for, they feel comfortable handing their sons off to someone like Turner Gill, who they believe will raise their son right. When you’re about to send your son hours away to go to school, a lot of people don’t understand that it’s not just the school or what’s on the helmet that sells a program, but it’s also who your son is gonna play for.”

Kirby continued: “Playing time might be a very small factor in it, but the fact of the matter is, it’s about relationships and trust and (kids) believing in (the coaches) recruiting them. You know, there are a lot of schools that can offer playing time.”

That fact jumped out right away to place kicker Alex Mueller, of Grapevine, Texas, who said he was impressed by the way so many talented prospects from all over the country had bonded before even becoming teammates at Kansas.

“(What impressed me the most was) the amount of talent that is coming in, and how all the guys are wanting to become a family,” Mueller said. “A few guys have messaged me on Facebook already, and I got to talk to a few on the recruiting trip. It will be a great group of guys.”

This was the idea Gill had in mind when he took over at Kansas two Decembers ago. He said as much in his introductory speech: Recruit. Recruit. Recruit. Gill has done that now, and will continue to do it in the future. Now that he has revealed his method of choice — tapping speed, character and the best fit for Kansas above all else — Gill can shift his focus back to preparing to for his second season.

“I think it’s an exciting time for Kansas,” Gill said. “We’re going to continue to move forward. I know late in the year (last year) we didn’t win many football games, but we definitely made progress. We will continue to do that and see that. I feel very confident in that.”

Consider the prospects in the Class of 2011 on board.

Said Killeen, Texas, quarterback Michael Cummings: “It seems like he brought in a lot of great talent from around the country and each player will make their mark on the program in one way or another.”

Comments

Mike Crosbie 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm sorry...I'm going to piss off a lot of people....but untill proven wrong, Mangino was THE BEST scout of talent and did the most of anyone to help the FB program for the long run and it still peeves me that the petty power struggle and vendetta Lew had against Mangino did more to hurt the program because Lew had it in for Mark.....all because of a few ghetto bums That couldn't handle discipline and if they couldn't handle the discipline to make thugs into men, they are the ones who should have left....and after Lew won the power struggle...he leaves...he should have been man enough to just leave...with the football program intact. Just ask The U of Minnisota...they know I'm right....anyone who can turn around KU football ends up there...first Glen Mason now Mark Mangino !! Turner Gill I do wish you the best of luck and time will tell if you can get things in order...my point is we shouldn't be in this position, Thanks Lew.

Scatterhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

So... if I'm following the thread of your comment- second degree burns=discipline.

Sure. If the kid can't handle having the flesh seared off his hands that's the kid's failing, not Mangino's.

jayhawkintx73 3 years, 7 months ago

Wait a second. Stating an opinion he has means he's a loser? Gill has a lot to prove. So he can recruit. After the 2010 season I still don't see his coaching ability. Do you?

GridironHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

mcrozb.... You hold grudges longer than my wife (I sure hope she doesn't know my user name or I'll be hearing about this next February). What happened happened and it can't be changed. However, to this point, it's hard to argue with the talent Gill brought in with his first full recruiting class (and let's not forget last year when he was able to get Bourbon after only a few months recruiting).

Here's some stats to bite on: Recruiting Rankings from Scout.com 2003 (Mangino's 1st full class) - 27 recruits, 14 JC, 422 Rating (70th) 2011 (Gill's 1st full class) - 27 recruits, 1 JC, 1964 Rating (39th)

I know recruiting rankings aren't everything but that argument actually makes Gill's recruiting even better. Gill filled many position voids with talented HS players rather than the quick fix JC route. That will pay huge dividends in the years to come. I'd say Gill and his coaching staff have an "okay" eye for talent.

100 3 years, 7 months ago

How was your team's recruiting class this year? I forgot, do you root for KState or Missouri?

Listen a lot of us are really grateful for the strength facilities & Orange Bowl victory, two things that very few programs nationally can claim (and certainly not MU or KSU).

But get over it. Mangino was easy to root for when we didn't know people got their hands burned off.

Coach Gill is the real deal.

Look at the tapes of his incoming recruits.

If you're a MU or KSU fan, I guess that's why you wrote what you did, "pretending" to be mad as a KU fan.

We've seen this too many times. Get out of the cave or tell us who you root for.

Speed!!!!!!

Wins!!!!!!!!!

Championships!!!!!!!

okiedave 3 years, 7 months ago

mcrozb - I too was one of those who felt that Mangino got a raw deal, until he got a few million in severence pay and released from a job that was killing him with stress. Actually, Mangino came out on top in this one. And with TG at the helm, it looks like everybody wins.

kugrad93 3 years, 7 months ago

In eight years, Mangino had ONE winning season in conference play. One. Get over it.

Eric Bernauer 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree with mcrozb on one point, Mangino was a good scout of talent. He took not so highly rated players such as Talib, Reesing, and Anthony Collins, and they were all studs for Kansas.

I disagree with Mangino being dismissed as a simple vendetta. When I first heard about players complaints, I thought it might have been simple whining from players who were overly sensitive or not getting playing time. I was wrong. The complaints came from team captains as well as players who didn't play much. Abusing players ( going across a scorching turf on their feet and knuckles till they blister) is not discipline. It is abuse, and opens the university to lawsuits. Even without the lawsuits it is simply wrong and shouldn't be tolerated. Discipline yes, abuse no. Some people think discipline is a coach yelling in a players face. These same people probably equate Gills calm demeanor with being soft. Really, how ignorant can you be? Would you want your child subject to abuse if it meant a winning record?

Gill has brought in a lot of talent according to ESPN, Scout, and Rivals. Remember these are predictions and these same organizations had Michigan State and KSU as top 3 basketball teams at the beginning of the season. Gill has not proven to be a great evaluator of talent just because he brought in a highly rated class. He hasn't had a chance yet to prove himself in this department and it will take years to determine whether this group is talented and are worthy of all the acclaim they are receiving now. I hope to be on this board in three years when people are looking back saying "I told you so". But the truth is, you really don't know now, we can only hope and let Gill prove himself and his staff.

100 3 years, 7 months ago

Waymilky.... Um look at some tape of these players before you make ludricous comments. Watch Reynolds. Watch Admire. Watch Burgland. Watch Cummings. Watch Pierson. Watch Bakare. Watch Julius. In fact watch them all.

Did you say Gill hasn't proven to be a good evaluator of talent?

Keep an eye on the Super Bowl. That starting running back for Green Bay?

He played linebacker at Buffalo before Gill moved him to running back.

Now he's a starting running back on a Super Bowl team after going to Buffalo as a linebacker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coach Gill Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!

And so do you... You just need to watch some film....

truefan 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't see anything wrong with Waymilky's post. He simply said that we don't know for sure what this class brings. I've watched all of the film and I'm very impressed, but I've seen a lot of good high school players that didn't pan out in college.

Film can help you evaluate, but it's not proof positive. I'm in full support of Gill, but recruiting rankings aren't everything. I like the speed and the athleticism, but until this staff can prove that they can get guys in the right spots and call the right plays to win games it doesn't mean anything.

I'm holding out hope that last year was a combination of many factors outside of the coaches control. Lack of depth, lack of speed, injuries before the season, possibility of having to take it easy on the players due to past abuses by coaches, and losses of important starters.

It sounds like the strength and conditioning program is extremely tough this offseason which gives me hope that the player development will be much better than what we saw. Our QBs have more experience now and we have a couple in this recruiting class that have potential to be special.

Eric Bernauer 3 years, 7 months ago

I'll stick with my comments. I thought last years BB team had all the components to take home the trophy, and I still do, but they didn't. As a matter or fact, I don't think they ever really gelled and played as a national championship team during the season either, but they did have all the components. You don't need to watch tape to know that the tape shows one high school player playing against another high school player. Will that break-away run against a missed tackle by a high school player happen against a Div.1 player. Maybe, maybe not. We will both know in the future, but now it is just an educated guess. 100, you have a good point about John Starks. A good evaluator is able to use an athelete's strength to help the team. Right now none of the recruits has done anything to help the team, but has brought a lot of hope to us, the arm chair quarterbacks. A great evaluator of talent can find strengths in players that others miss and use those strengths to help the team. I think it is ludicrous to say he has evaluated the incoming class correctly based on them looking good in high school and signing with Kansas. I hope you are correct, but we will know in a couple of years, not now.

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 6 months ago

Why don't you learn how to spell Minnesota, not Minnisota. Also I don't know what you mean by 'Ghetto Bums', but I would suggest you proof read something before you post.

John Randall 3 years, 5 months ago

""" I don't know what you mean by 'Ghetto Bums' """

Sounds like he was calling some guys inner-city crybabies because they were disenchanted with a coach who was better at bullying than at building.

skwahjayog 3 years, 7 months ago

Mcrozb, move on--it's over. Let it go!

Stephen Johnson 3 years, 7 months ago

Great class From a classy coach. I would not hand my son over to Mangino to play football, but I would trust Coach Gill.

hawk316 3 years, 7 months ago

Good point, RC. That's just one reason I've been so excited ever since we hired Turner Gill. This guy is going to develop a high quality program here at KU. He brought in excellent assistants and his first recruiting class also exudes excellence. I just hope everyone will remain patient as we will have such a young, inexperienced team next season. We will take our lumps, but we will get progressively better. Then, the following season and the ones after that, look out! KU is definitely an ascending program, and these kids who took "the leap of faith" will have their faith rewarded in full. Way to go, Coach Gill and staff! Great work!

truefan 3 years, 7 months ago

Those are definitely the same reasons I'm excited about the potential of this coaching staff and this recruiting class. I agree that we could be better next season, but we may not see it in the win/loss column due to lack of experience.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 7 months ago

one thing totally different with Gill than Mangino is the long term commitment recruiting wise. MM brought in a bunch of JUCO guys in his first full time recruiting class...and it helped us only in the very short term.

Gill is going for quality HS athletes that will help us next year....but also long term. it's the only way to build a program for any kind of longevity. you can't do it like KSU did in the 90s now....all the JUCO rules have changed.....(plus the Big 12 gave us a lot of higher academic standards.)

You have to crawl folks, before you can run. You win football games with talented, quick and strong athletes who are put in the right positions and developed to their full potential by good coaching. Next year, I predict, will be another rough year...but we'll see the light in 2012 and 2013.

truefan 3 years, 7 months ago

The other problem with JUCOs is that KSU isn't the only team recruiting those players like they were in the 90's. Auburn just won a national title with a JUCO QB. Every big time program seeks immediate impact and depth players out of JUCO. So even if you do load up on JUCO players, you probably won't end up with the pick of the litter if you're KU. Bakare will help tremendously, but I wouldn't have much hope if we tried to fill our entire class with JUCO kids.

jayhawk4alifetime 3 years, 7 months ago

Seems coach Gill can recruit. Wouldn't it be awesome if a couple of years down the road, he collects a National Coach of the Year award? Has a long ways to go but once he gets his brand of student/athletes on board in full, the sky is the limit. Have faith! ROCK CHALK

jhawkrulz 3 years, 7 months ago

Like Mangino did!

Coach Gill is showing a lot of positive things, but lets not kick Mangino to the curb, he did an awesome job, and Mangino did everything he could to bring some winning to Kansas football. We won some quality bowl games under Mangino including the Orange and Insight Bowls. It isn't like KU fans to wish Mangino ugliness. We want him to be a success. Let's not forget this was Mangino's first head coaching job (unlike Gill) and like any new job people make mistakes. If you love Head Coach Turner Gill or not, whether you like the idea that Mark Mangino resigned or not, let's all remember how great those years were, and build on KU Football.

Wouldn't it be nice when we have the 10 year anniversary of the BCS win, to have Mark Mangino and Todd Reesing standing at the 50 yard line in the good graces of KU football? Let's all hope it happens!

Dirk Medema 3 years, 7 months ago

Actually, it was Mangino's 2nd HC job. 1st D1 HC, but he had been a HS HC. You may have missed - the parents of those players didn't even wait for the 1st season to be over. They were trying to run him out of town midway through the 1st year.

Like it was said above, Lew and MM both contributed to the development of KU FB, but also gave us a black eye in the process. I'm glad KU can move on. Hopefully, the rest of the fans can as well.

jhawkrulz 3 years, 7 months ago

Did you just say that Mark Mangino had head coaching experience because he was the Head Coach at a High School...oh come on...I was writing a positive note of how some of us really appreciate what HC Mark Mangino did for KU and you throw out that he was a HC of some High School...oh my gosh...I would take the critique if he had HC experience in a DII or DIII school, but High School come on.

100 3 years, 7 months ago

Great attitude jhawkrulz....

I think that's truly how most of us feel. Mangino & Perkins did much to get us where we are, but it's time to take the next step & begin to reel in top recruiting classes year after year.

I watched our Orange Bowl team every home game in the 60's & those were fun days too. The cards just lined up for us right at times in the 60's. We had a very solid mindset, discipline & a group of upperclassmen.... And John Riggins! Coach Pepper Rogers had a lot to do with that, but even then, we weren't recruiting on par with Nebraska or OU.

This is the first time that I can really see, not only a chance, but a reality that we will be able to pull in top 10 recruiting classes. Maybe not next year. But I guarantee Gill, for next year's class, is shooting for a top 15 class at least. And I'd bet you anything he's already on the phone with potential 4 & 5 star recruits for next year's class. I would bet he steals a five star from somebody next year. Some kid he's been working on for two or three years now, or maybe some kid he just met. Somebody in Texas or Florida who has a mom who cares about the rest of her child's life after her son gets a degree & goes to the NFL.

His goal next year will be top 15 class. We as a fanbase need to root him on while he goes after these guys. We need to stay in touch with recruiting more than anything.

That's where college football games are won. And that's where Dynasties are born.

"It ain't the X's & O's,

It's the Jimmy & Joes..."

---- NCAA champ & NFL champ, and the man who couldn't quite land Turner Gill (but almost did), Barry Switzer.

100 3 years, 7 months ago

Looks like "bigtex" is our latest troll.... (see his post below)

I guess we can take it as a compliment the haters from other schools continue to visit us here... Means we are creating havoc for somebody else who apparently wanted the players Gill brought in!

bigtex 3 years, 7 months ago

Mangino was a guy who would never pat himself on the back and he was the National Coach of the year .He had good recruiting classes but didn't create a lot of hype, that is how he operated. Mangino always had his players back during press conferences.He had a military style of discipline but so do alot of other coaches. Gill likes the hype (telling the press 15-16 of his recruiting class will play or start and never showed up for a practice yet,Mangino would never due that).Gill tells the public what they want to here even if it is not true. Ask coach Fam if he would trust this character named Gill,wait a minute Gill did tell everybody he is a Christian so he must tell the truth (thats the ones you have to watch out for, the ones that tell you they are in faith they will steal you blind and lie their butts off ).Good Christians don't have to tell everybody they are good Christians.

GridironHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

So Gill saying that 15-16 freshman will play is "hype"? And that makes him not a "Good Christian"? Either you are reading between the lines way too much or must know way more than me.

DevilHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

That number of true freshman likely will play throughout the season because of the speed in the class. This class also fills a lot of holes on the team where we have very little (if any) depth without this class.

Gill was very careful to clarify that he was talking about the number that would probably play - not the number that would start.

Mangino left over a year ago - LET IT GO.

gdkadjayhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

When did he ever say "I am a good Christian"? You are quoting him, so show me his quote - otherwise, shut up.

jhawk613 3 years, 7 months ago

hello hawknhutch, nice to see you again

jhoxnoh 3 years, 7 months ago

Hey bigtex, why don't you get off this site and get an education. Your grammar and spelling scream bigtex!

bigtex 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm sorry you don't like my Gill style of grammer.

HAWKTOPIA 3 years, 7 months ago

Mangino was a flash in the pan.( Maybe 3 or 4 flashes with some bacon and sausage on the side.) After riding a few to the top, the job was his to make or break. He, and no one else, created his fall. There are Roy Williams lovers too.

Coach Gill is trying to bring in the team we all want as Jayhawks. Winners!

Dirk Medema 3 years, 7 months ago

To list MM & Roy in the same paragrph is just wrong.

In both cases, I'm glad we moved on, but there is no significant similarity in the 2 coaches, situations, ...

DevilHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Roy was hired away...much different situation.

jhawk613 3 years, 7 months ago

And for that matter can we quit booing every mention of Roy Williams. He was and is a great coach that did good things for KU, including multiple final fours.

I understand the manner in which he left was unsettling, but his family was in NC and that was probably the last opportunity for him to return home.

slowplay 3 years, 7 months ago

"Mangino was the best scout of talent " .... ha hahaha hah ahahahah hahahahah ahahahah....ha ha...hah. Oh man, thanks, I really needed some laughter this morning. heheheh.

Andrew Moore 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm excited to see what we look like at RB next year. We have the proverbial "stable" of backs. James Sims, Deshaun Sands, Brandon Bourbon, Darrian Miller, Dreamius Smith, and even Anthony Pierson (who was listed as an athlete but played a lot at RB). Thats a lot of talent at that position! I'd like to see a lot of two-back, thunder-lightning sets. I'd also like to see if Brock Berglund will be our QB of the future. Hopefully, he can be a threat to run as well.

We will still probably suck this year, but hopefully not as bad. Year 3 of the Gill regime is where we will need to see results.

HawkChalk29 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm hoping Rell Lewis will be able to see the field for his senior year as well. He had some good speed.

jhawk613 3 years, 7 months ago

He will, but it will be on Special Teams. Lewis doesn't have the size that some of these guys have.

I think Bourbon is probably going to bulk up and become a LB, or shift to WR (or transfer).

truefan 3 years, 7 months ago

I've heard differently. People that go to practice see Bourban getting a lot of snaps at RB next year. Have you forgotten that he's one of the fastest players on the team and already has a year of practice with the team under his belt?

I'm not completely ruling out the possibility of Bourbon to LB, but as of right now he hasn't taken a single snap on the defensive side of the ball in practice and it's not because he refuses, it's because he's good at RB.

texashawk10 3 years, 7 months ago

Size isn't that big of a concern at RB when you're a speed back. Do you remember what Rell Lewis did in his limited action against Missouri in 2009? Small backs with lots of speed like Lewis are good to have behind a big OL because they can make the defense lose them and squirt out of the line and gain extra yardage.

Roy Scherff 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes you are right Hawktopia, I still miss Ol' Roy.

rob4lb 3 years, 7 months ago

I am not sure why we are still discussing Mangino. Take away the one magical season (where we took advantage of a weak schedule) and you will conclude that he elevated the program to the middle of the pack in the conference. Outside of 2007, he never had a winning conference record and never had a win against the powers of the conference (UT, OU, TT). The players on the field last year were Mangino's recruits. To me they looked slower, smaller and not as strong as their Big 12 opponents. Given such a disadvantage, it is difficult to assess the coaching. Most will say that they improved toward the end of the conference season, but they were still noticably outmanned.

100 3 years, 7 months ago

I guess we're all still excited that we were one of the most recent team's in the Big 12 to actually win a BCS game, something KSU & MU, among many others cannot claim ever in their history.

But man, I agree. He had one winning year in conference. And his last 7 games we went 0-7 (after he didn't have a healthy Reesing).

And players got their hands burned off.

Are we over it yet?

2008 Orange Bowl Champs!!!!!!

And a final vote (1 vote) as #1 in the country to boot in the final 2007-2008 AP poll!!!!!

Thank you Coach Mangino & good night!!!!

Chris Bruning 3 years, 7 months ago

I think Lew Perkins was the best scout of talent......replaced Mangino with Turner Gill

northlawrence 3 years, 7 months ago

As someone who had a close relative playing under both, my biggest concern is that Gill may be the "best of guys" but may be "to nice" - ie - not sure that the players don't run the practices, show up when they want, put full effort when they want - never to be "corrected, disciplined, maybe even yelled at a little" - football is football - you need to be tough - you need to be held to account. Like I said - maybe a nice guy and even a nice recruiter (yet to be seen how they really play out) - just not sure he is HEAD coach material. I wish him the best - hopefully nice guys don't always finish last.

jaycard 3 years, 7 months ago

When he was first hired, Mangino came to Salina for a KU backer dinner. At the time, being a KU football fan in central kansas was something most people didn't proudly wear on their sleeves. He defied everyone there that it was not Cat country, and that he would strongly recruit Kansas kids. He had everyone optimistic and proud to be a JHawk football fan in one speech. Unfortunately, other than the greatest year in KU sports history in 2007-2008, this attitude did not show itself on the field. With HCTG at the helm, I see the same dynamic emphasis on high level recruiting, not giving in to the perceived "elite" schools, and more importantly, beating Kstate and Missouri in the area. We will see the results within 2 years. Keep it up Turner. Rock Chalk!

Harrison Green 3 years, 7 months ago

If this is what he does with a 3-9 season. What can he do with a 6-6 or 10-2? good times fellas(and ladies) good times.

100 3 years, 7 months ago

Top 15 class next year.

Let's root him on for 365....

truefan 3 years, 7 months ago

No kidding. I hope the wins start coming so we can see this staff's real recruiting abilities. If they can get something going on the field, this staff's recruiting abilities could take us to the next level.

slowplay 3 years, 7 months ago

I've said this before, Gill could have the #1 recruit class but the key is going to be how well he can develop and coach these kids. Next year is still going to be rough. 4 wins, maybe five. The thing to watch for next year is how competitive they will be, not so much wins and losses. Being on the losing end of 42-16, 55-7, 59-7, 45-10 scores should not happen. If they do, I hope they cut ties with Gill before the program drops even further. That said, I'm optimistic Gill can right the ship.

okiedave 3 years, 7 months ago

Great class. My only concern is the lack of Defensive line recruits. Most of last years starting Defensive line will be Seniors and Juniors next year. Hope TG has some reshirt freshman coming back for future depth.

texashawk10 3 years, 7 months ago

With 6 OLineman in the class, it's likely that one or two of them will end up on the defensive side of the ball playing DT in the near future.

truefan 3 years, 7 months ago

We needed a DT in this class and missed on a couple of good ones, however, we landed quite a few DEs and some of the DEs from last year are expected to move to DT. We won't have the size on DL, but we'll hopefully have the speedy undersized DL like TCU had last season. It's not the optimal situation, but it can work.

I've heard it's very unlikely that any of the OL recruits will switch to DL in their first season with the team, if they don't work out on OL though, Gill has made it clear that he will switch a player's position to get them on the field.

texashawk10 3 years, 7 months ago

Out of this class, I see 3 or 4 potential starters when KU kicks off the 2011 season. K Alex Mueller is the most likely sure starter for KU next season to me simply because he's a kicker. Brock Berglund is going to be given every opportunity to win the starting job this spring and if he can improve his arm strength a little, he should win the job and have a chance to make a real impact next season. Julius Green at 6'7" 270 lbs is a physical freak built like Julius Peppers and will have Julius Peppers collegiate coach also coaching him. Going through spring drills will be a big advantage for Green winning the RE job and I can't wait to see what he can do. I also think Dylan Admire will have a chance to start if he can put on about 20 lbs. this offseason because he is already enrolled and will go through an offseason strength program. If he gets to about 285 lbs. I think he will have a decent chance at winning one of the interior line spots for next season. He is also someone I could possibly see getting moved to DT for next season because he has a motor like very few others and even at 270-275 lbs. he could be an effective DT and add depth to that position.

Some other players who could see major PT next season are any of incoming DB, WR, and RB's because those positions are crapshoots with who actually emerges versus who we as fans expect to emerge. Others that could get PT next season are Bryan Peters (OL), Jason Hensley (LB), and Tunde Bakare (LB/S). That's 16 players right there, but I honestly think the number will be closer to 10 of these guys that will ultimately play next season. Speed is a great thing to have, but if a player doesn't have the strength, technique, or awareness to compliment that speed, it's a worthless tool to have because then you just have a bunch of guys running around on the field looking like chickens with their heads chopped off.

Phoggin_Loud 3 years, 7 months ago

Nice post, tex.

Let's not forget the injuries to Hulden Tharp, Keeston Terry, which caused them to miss some action. Also, the emergence of James Sims at RB & Tyler Patmon at CB, among others. It is becoming easier to see a team starting to take shape. It won't be overnight and it's still hard to find more than 3 wins on this year's schedule, but it is starting to make sense.

Ultimately if some of the new "speed" guys can get good starting field position on kick-offs & punt returns, that would be a welcome addition.

It is hard to tackle someone you cannot catch!!

jayhawkintx73 3 years, 7 months ago

Berglund looks super accurate and threw some of them on a rope, and I've seen other videos of him throwing corner routes with touch. However, the OL is going to have to perform to protect whoever the starter is. That was much of the problem in 2010,and they only showed a little improvement over the season.