Thursday, February 3, 2011

Big 12 men’s basketball roundup: K-State rolls; Mizzou falls

Kansas State guard Jacob Pullen (0) breaks into the lane past Nebraska guard Drake Beranek (31) during the second half Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2011, in Manhattan, Kan. Kansas State defeated Nebraska 69-53.

Kansas State 69, Nebraska 53

Manhattan — With Bramlage Coliseum silent for Jacob Pullen’s free throws, a Nebraska fan took the opportunity to scream, “Shave your beard!”

There may have been times in a frustrating season when Pullen and the Wildcats would have been willing to do anything — maybe even remove trademark facial hair — to change their fortunes. But that was not the case on Wednesday night.

“I feel bad we haven’t had the success we wanted this season,” Kansas State coach Frank Martin said. “It’s coming.”

Pullen scored 18 points and Curtis Kelly had 16 to lead Kansas State (15-8, 3-5 Big 12). Rodney McGruder added 10.

Lance Jeter had 16 points to lead Nebraska (15-6, 3-4), and Jorge Brian Diaz had 10.

The Cornhuskers, who fell to 0-4 in road games, were plagued by a season-high 22 turnovers.

Martin was happy about the number, saying, “Our attention to detail defensively was big time.”

Nebraska coach Doc Sadler was not nearly as happy.

“It was the worst effort we’ve had,” Sadler said, searching for the correct comparison, “since the Oklahoma game my first year (2006-07).”

Oklahoma State 76, No. 14 Missouri 70

Stillwater, Okla. — Darrell Williams scored 15 points and grabbed 13 rebounds to lead Oklahoma State to a victory over Missouri.

Jean-Paul Olukemi and Keiton Page each scored 19 for the Cowboys (15-7, 3-5 Big 12), who ended a three-game losing streak.

Missouri (17-5, 3-4) lost its fourth consecutive league road game after arriving in Stillwater just six hours prior to tip-off due to travel issues. Marcus Denmon and Matt Pressey each scored 15 points to lead the Tigers. Ricardo Ratliffe added 13 before fouling out.

OSU, which led by 15 with 10 minutes to play, hit 29 of 43 from the foul line, including a big pair by Olukemi with 1:33 to play that gave the hosts a 73-67 advantage.

Pressey’s three cut the deficit to 73-70 in the final minute, but Olukemi hit two more that helped push the margin back to 76-70.

Oklahoma 73, Baylor 66

Norman, Okla. — Carl Blair hit four free throws in the final 23.6 seconds as Oklahoma held off a late run from Baylor.

Blair finished with 19 points and Cameron Clark led the Sooners (12-9, 4-3 Big 12) with 25 points.

Comments

Hank Cross 10 years, 10 months ago

Elsewhere I posted that the B12 had only 2 legitmate national contenders with the remote possibility of Mizery gaining some respect. I was wrong, Mizery is well on its way to its usual late-season nosedive. NE's defeat speaks more to its weakness than any resurgence by KSU.

JayhawkRock 10 years, 10 months ago

Nebraska's loss to KSU really has to be messing with their heads...They know that KSU really is not that good this season and now they have to play a KU team that just spanked the team (KSU) that beat them like a drum.

I dont think Nebraska was looking ahead to Saturday's game at home against KU I just think the grind of the season is really starting to get to them. Nebraska's non conference schedule was a joke and I think it hurt them in terms of preparing them for conference play.

With that being said KU had better come to Lincoln focused on Saturday. NU will be amped for the game because it's usually the only game they come close to or do sell out. The Devaney Center will be loud and hostile. This is NU's championship. If they win on Saturday over the #2 team in the country then their season is pretty complete.

I think KU will be focused because of what we had to go through to win the first time against NU. Im thinking we come in and win easily now that we are playing solid basketball as a team. KU should win this game and I am looking forward to being there to watch KU send NU out of the conference with another loss to KU.

Im also looking forward to meeting the players after the game. The best part about the game at Nebraska is how accessible the players are afterwards. They come out of their locker room and sign autographs and take pictures with their fans. Every year KU players take about an hour and sign for fans and its a great opportunity to meet them and talk to them. Cole talked to the fans after the game last year like he was talking to people he knew. The Morris twins are a bit intimidating but they are really nice. Im really looking forward to meeting Thomas Robinson again this year. He has truly inspired me to start living life to the fullest because you never know when this life will be over.

amatxjayhawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Way to go K-State. It is every Big 12 teams's solum duty to beat these disloyal turncoats as bad as possible before NU's unholy alliance to the North becomes final. It is a command that we should slay their menservants, their maidservants, their donkeys, their camels, their sheep and their goats (which will probably ruin their sex life). Then we can wish the well in their new land.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 10 months ago

I love it! You used "Turncoats". Awesome!

KU_FanSince75 10 years, 10 months ago

Yep, I was for the Wildcats last night. Glad they won. Probably saved Martin's job for the time being.

If the Jayhawks lose in Lincoln on Saturday, you know the students will storm the court. For Pete's sake, I hope that doesn't happen. KU comes in "on a roll" but a hostile crowd in Lincoln could make it a close game. I think the Jayhawks will meet the challenge. Rock Chalk!

gchawk 10 years, 10 months ago

Wheels definitely seem to be falling off for Mizzou and Baylor. Have to say that I'm pretty surprised by KSU's victory over Nebraska especially with Judge leaving, but sometimes a wounded animal is more dangerous than it normally would be. We better be ready for a ticked off Husker team.

Scott Smetana 10 years, 10 months ago

Should be a great challenge for us. Nebraska will be playing their absolute best after a poor performance. We could use some stiff competition. I see us with the W.

Nice job Wildcats, I want to see them in the tourney. Nice job Mizzery, you suck. Your coach needs to upgrade somewhere else.

Monday is gonna be so fun.

kesmithstl1 10 years, 10 months ago

I see Pelfry getting fired from Arkansas, and Anderson taking that job!

Dirk Medema 10 years, 10 months ago

Is ArkU attractive after watching the Nolan incident?

Rumo 10 years, 10 months ago

As a Jayhawk born, attending NU, this upcoming game is what I look forward to most all basketball season. This year's Nebraska is a tough team at home; I should know, I have been to all of them. The crowd really gets into the game sometimes. KU has them outmatched really heavily, but Nebraska can surprise you. Sometimes they just click, and good basketball ensues.

I'll be there, playing in the pep band, undermining the fans as much as I can. I will be wearing blue underneath my red.

100 10 years, 10 months ago

Best. Nebraska Pepband Story. Ever.