Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Naadir Tharpe, Jayhawks return to fieldhouse for camp

Kansas guard Travis Releford gets down for "hound dog pushups" next to 8-year-old Tyler Peterson, left, Topeka, on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2011, during the Holiday Hoops Clinic at Allen Fieldhouse. The pushups, which were ordered by director of basketball operations, Barry Hinson, consisted of lifting one's head up and howling like a dog.

Holiday Hoops

Kids learn the basketball basics from KU director of basketball operations, Barry Hinson and the Jayhawks during the Holiday Hoops Clinic on Tuesday at Allen Fieldhouse.

It took Kansas University freshman Naadir Tharpe all day Friday to travel from Los Angeles — site of the Jayhawks’ 63-47 victory over USC — to his hometown of Worcester, Mass.

“It was six or seven hours maybe (in the air). It was intense, but as long as I got home safe and sound is all that matters,” said the 5-foot-11, 170-pounder, who spent three nights at home before returning to Lawrence in time for practice Monday night.

“It was definitely worth it. When you get to see your family and friends, it doesn’t matter how much time it is. Every minute is special with your family.”

Tharpe, who worked as a camp counselor in KU’s holiday clinic for boys and girls Tuesday in Allen Fieldhouse, was willing to reveal his favorite Christmas gift.

“I just got a Blu-ray DVD. It’s probably one of my favorite movies. Don’t judge me on this, but, ‘Devil Wears Prada,’’’ Tharpe said with a smile.

Tharpe was raring to take the court immediately upon his return to campus.

The former Brewster Academy point guard is trying to do all he can to contribute on this level.

“I’m definitely putting in a lot of overtime. I make sure I come in early with coach Dooley (Joe, assistant), before practice as well as after practice, getting up shots. He’s been working with me a lot,” said Tharpe, who has scored eight points and dished nine assists against six turnovers while logging 8.0 minutes a game in nine of KU’s 11 games.

“I need to work on everything — my shooting,” added Tharpe, who has made three of 16 shots, just one of 11 from three. “I knew it was going to be tough. Basically coming to Kansas University, you know it’s going to be tough. It’s a program with great players, a program with basically a lot of stars that came out of here. So I knew it wasn’t going to be easy. That’s why I wanted to take this challenge.”

He received the star treatment from the 400 youths at Tuesday’s clinic, signing a batch of autographs.

“I love working with kids. It’s fun,” Tharpe said. “They can’t wait to talk to you, shake your hand. No matter what you do for the kids, it puts a smile on their face.”

Teahan latest to have flu: Senior Conner Teahan did not practice Tuesday morning or attend the clinic.

“Conner has the crud, the definition of crud,” KU coach Bill Self said. “He’s on some IVs. Hopefully he’ll be able to go tomorrow.”

Happy birthday: Self on Tuesday celebrated his 49th birthday. “A lot of people said I looked like I was 49. Good gosh, who could possibly think that?” Self joked. “I really don’t know what I’m going to do (Tuesday night following a late-afternoon trip to the dentist). It’ll probably be something very elaborate and exciting, and I’ll probably be asleep by 10:30.”

Self recently had a growth removed from his forehead, which has given him a temporary red rash-like mark.

“I am fine. I had some pre-cancer stuff the doctor told me I had to get taken care of. I tried to time it where it wasn’t as noticeable,” Self said, smiling. “I ran out of makeup this morning, so I couldn’t hide it from everybody one more day. I have a new appreciation for women who actually put makeup on every day, because it’s a little more time-consuming than I thought it’d be.”

Next game: KU will meet Howard University at 7 p.m. Thursday in Allen. Howard of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (located in Washington, D.C.) enters with a 4-9 record. The Bison lost at Indiana, 107-50, and at Georgetown, 62-48. KU beat Georgetown, 67-63, in the Maui Invitational. Howard will stay in the area to play Kansas State on Saturday in Manhattan.

Comments

Michael Auchard 9 years, 10 months ago

My bet is that he used to watch it with a GF/mom/sister fairly regularly.

Ann Oneill 9 years, 10 months ago

It may be a so called chick flick, but the message of the movie is a good one.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Allen Fieldhouse is freaking amazing... It is the best place to play in college and there is no NBA arena that has the feel of a college arena. The renovations a few years back were fantastic. That being said, I am VERY curious if there are any plans to modify it in any way in the near future.

1. I think I remember the Booth Family announcing a donation for future renovations to the Hall of Fame several years ago. Is expansion of the Hall of Fame in the works?
  2. 16,300 EVERY game... The more people there are in there the louder it gets. Has there ever been mention of adding more seats? Is there an architect or an engineer on the board who could even comment on the possibility of that? Seems like adding 1,700 or so seats could quickly pay itself off. We would certainly sell the seats.
  3. Any chance the student section could get more court side seating? Doesn't make a lot of sense financially, but the students are LOUD and them being closer to the action could only mean good things!

Just a few thoughts... Rock Chalk!

Ron Franklin 9 years, 10 months ago

It's bothering me! Everytime I see him, I think it's you!

Bangkok_Jayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

AHHHHHH! I had no idea icthawkfan316. Great minds think alike?

Jack Wilson 9 years, 10 months ago

You're giving ict too much credit there.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 10 months ago

No doubt--316. I was wondering how long it was going to take before you said something. I really wanted to say something, but I kept to my own business. When I see that avatar, I will always associate it with you, icthawkfan316.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 10 months ago

OakvilleJHawk class of ' 71 KU school of architecture here.....regarding the 16,300 max...blame the fire marshall.

Seems like he's more concerned about people getting out in case of an emergency instead of packing them to the rafters to maximize the noise.

Google Copacana Fire, New York and you'll see why.

When Allen was built, it had one of the largest seating capaciites in America.

Bangkok_Jayhawk, the only way to increase attendance is to build a new venue...and no one wants that.

By the way...are you dangerous!!??

Bangkok_Jayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the comment! Am I dangerous?! I don't think so.

Lance Hobson 9 years, 10 months ago

The renovations are impressive, no doubt. Still, I feel some longing for when it was truly a gym, it is so fancy now. I used to work out there all of the time at 0600 when I was in AFROTC, after I'd run I'd walk out on the court and feel like I had the whole, quiet, sacred place to myself. Now the court is blocked and everything is is very palatial. Not bad, just different.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 10 months ago

Best camp photo choice (the top one) ever Nick and Gary!

Why the howling like dogs while doing push ups? Why not "Rock Chalk" or "KU"?

Just think, one or more of those kids could have their picture in a program guide someday!

tom123kufan 9 years, 10 months ago

Never in all my years did I think I would read an article about a freshman point guard liking the "Devil Wears Prada" and a mention about coach Self tired of putting on makeup!

mattiesdad 9 years, 10 months ago

We are definitely in touch with our feminine sides evidently. Nothing wrong with liking a funny movie.

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

Hey, Naadir can wear Manolo Blahnik stilettos on offense, if he wants, but on defense, the devil doesn't wear Prada, the devil wears combat boots and carry an M-4 locked and loaded with a SOG Trident in a sheath on his calve.

Offense is the feminine side. Pretty and smooth count.

Defense is the masculine side. It is hunting and taking possession.

Once Naadir has two favorite movies (The Devil Wears Prada and Avatar), he will be able to play D1.

Sigourney Weaver found out the same thing from the other side of the gender divide when she had to strap on flame throwers and bio-loader and go hunt and kill Aliens.

The beauty of basketball is that it requires men and women to get in touch with both sides at all positions.

Beauty and the beast in one package.

hawksince51 9 years, 10 months ago

Good to read that Tharpe has a good attitude and is working hard to contribute. I think his improvement and contribution will be key to our later season results. Along with Teahan and Young. We are going to need more from the bench to cover the inevitable injuries and to give starters more rest as the season grows long.

kesmithstl1 9 years, 10 months ago

Dear Mr. Tharpe. I will judge. Now if you had told us your movie was "The Devil Wears Nada", that would be different.

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

Naadir Tharpe has the right stuff.

Its in him.

He wreaks of it.

He just has to get stronger and faster on the D.

He's such a smoothie on offense, despite the current shooting struggles, that he may have to take a mean pill on defense.

Show him feeds of Russell Robinson and Tyrel mixing it up on defense.

It all starts with defense for freshman in Self Ball.

Naadir just needs some kind of an edge on defense, something that he thinks he can do well on defense, something that gives him some swagger on defense.

Nothing empowers a perimeter player like stripping off ball.

Tyrel Reed became a master stripper by learning to step into the free throw lane on the defensive rebound and stripping the first pass to or dribble by the release man.

Stripping lets you look your opponent in the eye, no matter how much better he may be one on one.

Russell had those ankle length arms. He learned to strip passing lanes.

Strips are the perimeter man's rebounds.

Strips are ultimate stops.

They wreak havoc.

Naadir is playing defense on his heals because he is trying to cope with the blow bys.

Fine. Learn to guard your man . Fling your body in front of your man. Takes some nasty charges. Or foul him to the floor.

But get a mean streak on defense, Naadir.

Enable on offense.

But split your personality on defense. Leave that enabler on the offensive end. Become a search and destroy man on defense.

Attack on defense.

Find an edge on defense that makes an opponent fear you.

Shave your head into a Mohawk, get a tattoo that reads "killzone" and start coming after these guys on defense.

If a guy beats you, take him down!

We need you on offense, now, not later.

To get you on offense now, we need to give you an edge on defense, a weapon, something to make you feel ten feet tall, even while you're suffering blow bys, something to keep you from being viewed simply as a freshman who is a step slow.

Doug LeMoine 9 years, 10 months ago

• "reeks," not "wreaks" (up in the 3rd sentence)

Also, this post was ~10 sentences too long.

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

"A Proem for Willie Pless"

Thx on reeks.

But give criterion for 10 sentences.

Puhlease.

Why not 9?

Why not 8?

Why not 7,6,5,4,3,2,1?

Why not 11, 12, 13...n?

Why count sentences?

Or paragraphs?

Why not fragments or split infinitives?

Why not consonants or transitives?

Why not syllables, letters, commas?

Why not the number of fired football fundamentalists?

Or the number of hired football Roman Catholics?

Or the number of laws separating church and state?

Or the frequency of conflating good and great?

Or the number of holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall?

Why not the number of disses in A Moveable Feast?

Or the number of yawns in Somerset Maugham.

Why not count the number of movies out preparing us for more war and more declines in standards of living?

Or the number of Google hits for taking vs. giving?

Or the the TV images of futility aimed to keep Americans subservient, as their constitutional rights are circumscribed by Apeneck Sweenys with golden grins?

Or the number of protest movements in Arab Spring reputedly started by Intel orgs funding nonviolent resistance movements to create the excuses to start the bombing, or send NATO in?

There is so much to count and think about.

Are my sentences really what you wish to count about?

:-)

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

This is D1, where the weak are killed and eaten.

If you were a 2 like Tyrel, then I'd say copy his stripping on the defensive rebound, but you're on point and have to play safety, so you're rarely going to get to do that.

Your best bet maybe to become a "dirty" player for awhile. Cheap shot a good opponent first thing every time you step on the floor. After a couple of games, every player that faces you will be thinking about your cheap shot rather than about schooling the slow freshman. Trash talk them. "I'm gonna put a hurt on you." Tripping people going by you, until you get your leg strength and speed up to D1 speeds.

Skill players hate being tripped. It infuriates them and they fear it. You're going to get called for fouls, and you will get labeled a dirty player, but sometimes you've got to take some heat to turn things around.

Attack on defense. You're too smooth, too enabling on defense.

Get mean. Every player has to learn this once he reaches a level where he is not the faster man.

Russell Robinson bulked out and walked around punking guys on defense, then stripping them blind while they were worrying about getting punked.

But you don't have time to bulk up this season.

Tyrel Reed just plain got feisty all the time. He started walking around with a chip on his shoulder and dived into every scrum he could. Players have to know they are going to suffer against you when they come down the floor to try to run offense on you.

Go Naadir, go!!!!

AsadZ 9 years, 10 months ago

jaybate, I am going to make sure Nadir gets to read these comments

blackhawkjayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

A sentence isn't necessarily always a paragraph.

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

Thanks.

I.

Will.

Try.

To.

Remember.

That.

:-).

REHawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Naadir sounds like a nice kid. Mentions a chick flic as one of his favorite movies. Very nice. I hope his game progresses quickly, as I agree that he, Conner, Justin and Kevin are keys to how far this team can go. Dandy photo, Nick Krug....

jaybate 9 years, 10 months ago

Is 49 the new 30, or is it just the new 48? :-)

Either way, it sounds young to me.

Rock on!

Cantkeepagooddudedown 9 years, 10 months ago

Nadiir is going to be good... i just think he needs some medication or something. Settle down a little bit when he's on the floor. At least his mistakes don't appear to be from a lack of focus. Maybe the word for him is "reckless"... opposed to "careless"

RockChalk26 9 years, 10 months ago

Maybe the campers will teach Naadir how to value the rock. This camp will benefit Naadir greatly :)

lothario 9 years, 10 months ago

Question: Since this article in basically about Naadir, is there any reason to suspect he may be leaving after this year?His playing time is for squat, especially on a year that KU has no new recruits playing this season.

Anyone have any thoughts, knowledge, specualtion on his situation?

Thanks!

KGphoto 9 years, 10 months ago

Well, he's playing behind a 4 year starter and a highly recruited, sky walking jr at the 1 and 2 positions. When TT11 does come out for 6-7 minutes a game at the 1, EJ steps in there, leaving no minutes at the 1.

Conner Teahan needs his minutes as the 3pt sniper, and Relly needs his minutes to lock down defensively.

I would love to see him playing more, but I think at this point it has less to do with his ability and more to do with Self getting ready for conference with his 7-8 guys.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 10 months ago

I agree with whay KG said, but Tharpe isn't playing basically because Self sees him as not worthy at this point. The "improve on everything" comment by Self a while back (which Tharpe reiterated above) gives us a hint.

Clearly, Tharpe is way behind the curve on the defensive end. I'm not sure he's that far behind on the offensive end. He can pass .. and he appears to be a natural passer .. which could be of benefit now, since we don't have a natural distributor of the ball.

TT and EJ are ahead of him at the point. No shame behind those two now. And the better option is Teahan at the 2 with TT or EJ at the point when a sub is needed vs. moving TT or EJ to the 2 with Tharpe in. And Tharpe is not a 2.

Other posters have noted how small Tharpe is, how he doesn't appear quick or fast, that he has short legs, etc. The real test time to judge his staying power (or role) will be next season. TT will be gone ... does Tharpe start with EJ at the 2? Or at least first off the bench with EJ at the point and McLemore/White at the 2?

If he's going to contribute this season, common sense says he needs some PT. I know there are disagreements on that, but Self has referred to our team now being inexperienced because many guys have not played significant minutes .. basically as an excuse for their performance. Logic says that applies to Tharpe .. if he doesn't play, he'll be inexperienced and not be as prepared as he otherwise would with PT.

I'm not entirely sure what to think of Tharpe's potential right now, though. But I don't see him transferring.

chriz 9 years, 10 months ago

Is it just me or is it weird to see an article featuring Naadir, including in the title of the article, with a picture of Relly? Are the publishers TRYING to confuse us?

lothario 9 years, 10 months ago

Self is only allowing 1 minute of participation time for Naadir in the Holiday Hoops Clinic. Tough break NT ;^(

Tuskin 9 years, 10 months ago

“Basically coming to Kansas University, you know it’s going to be tough.”

Gary, did Tharpe actually say "the University of Kansas?" I ask because the other is not at all common. If he did, then I think you're actually misquoting him for the sake of honoring the paper's policy. I would think the paper's policy would take back seat to the desire to quote people precisely. No?

KGphoto 9 years, 10 months ago

Gary has been doing this for like 30 years. I think he's got it.

Tuskin 9 years, 10 months ago

I'm sure you're right. Gary does good work. Sorry for questioning you, Gary.

wildjayhawk 9 years, 10 months ago

Naadir, needs to start showing us something.

Tony Bushard 9 years, 10 months ago

Perhaps off topic as it pertains to this article, but I wonder what this announcement means for the future of the Big 12/Pac 12 basketball collaboration, or the Big 10/ACC Challenge for that matter: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7396843/big-ten-pac-12-grow-scheduling-partnership

lee3022 9 years, 10 months ago

The biggest problem I see in the collaboration is the watering down of the Rose Bowl match-up. The adding of a single non-conference game by both conferences would mean fewer for them to schedule from mid-majors and adds to the BCS computer rankings.

In order for any school to play for the BCS championship they must schedule SEC teams and beat them. Oregon took that approach this year and even thought losing to LSU they are still the PAC-12 champions and playing in the Rose Bowl.

In basketball there are plenty of non-conference games to add one from the Big-10 or PAC-12. Many of those teams already schedule the other conference. Is ths Big XII - PAC-12 basketball agreement still in place? I see no reason why it would not be. The NCAA tournament committee looks at who you play for seeding so adding more majors games is good. Note that absent such conference agreements the high-major elite programs will not schedule home and home for the most part. This forces the issue. This year the PAC-12 probably would not win any of those match-ups with the Big10!

Michael Bratisax 9 years, 10 months ago

I was just doing some online surfing regarding recruiting. I ended up at the "Kentucky Sports Network" I' m sure most of you have heard of the 'Stepworth Wives' or something close to that and its the best way to describe Kentucky fans and coach Cal. It was eerie..almost cult like and independent thought is not tolerated.

Anyways..I saw a comment on Isaiah Lewis that he was not good enough for Kentucky. He needed to improve his game a lot if he wanted to play for Cal. A top 50 player NOT good enough? I registered just to make a comment that he was no longer considering UK and unless loaded at the same position, top 50 is more than good enough and ALL high school juniors needed to improve.

So I went back a couple of days later and saw; 'Sorry, Site Closed For Maintenance". After a couple of days of that..I used a different computer and got on the site w/no problem. When I tried to log on, I got the same 'Sorry, Site Closed For Maintenance".. If I delete my cookies, I can get on the site but cannot log in to comment. Pretty sad..this site is so much better because of different opinions.

Joe Baker 9 years, 10 months ago

Cal wants all the top 10 recruits because he can't coach. He never develops his bigs. His guards are pretty much OAD for the NBA. All he wants is a NC. He thinks OADs will get it. Why do you think he convinced Jones and Lamb to stay by using the NBA lockout as a way to make them stay? He needed them, along with Miller. He added Davis, who was already a phenom and has little to coach.

These recruits make Cal. Cal never makes his players.