Wednesday, December 28, 2011

QB Dayne Crist eager to reunite with Charlie Weis

In this Oct. 31, 2009 file photo, Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis puts in backup quarterback Dayne Crist against Washington State in the second half in San Antonio, Texas. Crist has decided to transfer to Kansas, where the former Notre Dame quarterback will be reunited with coach Weis.

Dayne Crist has wanted to play in the NFL since he first picked up a football at the age of 6.

And if things go well during his one season at Kansas University under the coach who recruited him to Notre Dame out of high school, Crist may get that chance.

For now, though, the former five-star prospect and Fighting Irish quarterback is focused only on making sure that his reunion with KU coach Charlie Weis is as beneficial for Kansas as it is for him.

“At this point, that’s not a conversation that I’m having,” said Crist of his pro potential. “The conversation that I’m having is, how are we gonna be successful on offense at Kansas? That’s the most important thing to me right now.”

With his financial-aid agreement signed and many of his personal bios now reflecting his new school, Crist officially can begin his countdown to Kansas.

The 6-foot-4, 235-pound righty who grew up rooting for New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and hopes someday to follow in his footsteps, chose to finish his college career at Kansas because of Weis, who recruited him to Notre Dame back in 2008 and the man who, Crist believes, gives him the best chance to showcase the skills that made him the country’s No. 2-ranked quarterback in his high school class.

“He’s the greatest offensive mind I’ve ever been around,” Crist said of Weis. “So playing for him as an offensive player is very, very exciting. He’s just so knowledgeable with everything in terms of schemes and personnel and ways to take advantage of defenses. It’s really fun to play for him.”

Asked to describe the Weis offense in greater detail, Crist obliged, but spoke in generalities because of the vast make-up of Weis’ attack.

“It’s a pro-style offense, so I think a lot of it demands a little bit more out of the players mentally,” he said. “But once everyone gets the hang of everything, it’s real fun and a real exciting offense to play in.”

Why?

“It varies,” Crist said. “We’ve kind of got everything in the arsenal. But we’re good about game-planning and figuring out what works well against our opponents.”

Crist will join a team that has a solid group of running backs: James Sims, Brandon Bourbon and Tony Pierson. Questions have popped up about whether Darrian Miller, last season’s second-leading rusher, will be back in 2012. While Miller’s status is unclear at this point, his addition only would make KU’s backfield stronger. Crist said running backs of all kinds typically play a key role in the Weis offense.

“Definitely,” he said. “Every position is so vital. Having a talented stable of running backs is going to be huge for us.”

As for the guys he will throw to, Crist said KU’s new offense would not be picky about the make-up of its wide receivers.

“With coach Weis, I’ve played with big guys, fast guys, small guys. It doesn’t really matter,” Crist said. “I think at this point it’s just about guys that love playing and will be playmakers. Size and speed and all that stuff … that doesn’t make a difference, really. We need guys that are smart, that know what they’re supposed to be doing and are disciplined in their route-running and just want to make plays.”

Crist makes Weis’ offense sound simple. It’s not.

But KU’s new QB said as long as guys are willing to put in time to master it, KU should benefit tremendously.

“He’s a great coach and has a great way of teaching,” Crist said of the offense’s architect. “As long as everyone buys in, I don’t think that’ll be a problem.”

Crist, who is scheduled to arrive in Lawrence on Jan. 13, said he already had been in contact with several of his new teammates and added that he was looking forward to joining them for offseason workouts.

“The biggest thing for me,” Crist said, “was just knowing that football ends for everybody, no matter how long you play, whether you’re an NFL all-pro, a guy that just played little league football or anywhere in between. So just maximizing whatever time I have left to play football was what was most important. I love this game so much, and I’ve been playing since I was 6 years old. It’s tough to imagine what life will be without it.”

As for any extra pressure that might come because of the excitement surrounding his commitment, Crist, the first five-star football recruit in KU history, said he would use that as a method to motivate himself and his new teammates.

“That’s all stuff that I can’t really control,” he said. “I just love playing. And I’m going to love playing just as much this next year as I did when I was 6 years old. I’m excited that there’s a buzz, but that’s gonna be a buzz for the entire team. That’s something that will be nice to have around us, but we just have to do whatever it takes to be as successful as we can.”

Crist on Allen Fieldhouse

One day after Weis officially was introduced as the new KU football coach on Dec. 9, Crist took advantage of his connection to snag a seat in Allen Fieldhouse for the Jayhawks’ 78-67 victory against No. 2 Ohio State.

What did he think?

“That was something else,” Crist said. “I’ve never seen a basketball game like that. Just seeing the excitement with the fan base and just how loud it got … that was very exciting and something I definitely hope we can carry with us to the football stadium when we start playing this fall.”

OU receiver granted release

Oklahoma wide receiver Justin McCay, a red-shirt freshman who played for new KU offensive-line coach Tim Grunhard at Bishop Miege High, has been granted a release by Sooners coach Bob Stoops and could be exploring a transfer to KU.

After red-shirting in 2010, McCay, 6-foot-2, 209 pounds, played in three games this season but did not record a reception.

As a senior in high school, McCay was the No. 1-ranked player in Kansas in the Class of 2010, according to Rivals.com. Reports have indicated that McCay also is considering Kansas State and Missouri. If he follows through on his transfer, McCay would have to sit out the 2012 season.

Comments

Mangino_Maniac 3 years ago

Justin McCay would be an excellent target for Heaps!

JayHok 3 years ago

Here's some high school footage of McCay. RCJ Grunhard!

Chris Bailey 3 years ago

Damn he looked like a stud on D! Hell I think he was more explosive on D in this highlight reel! That was pretty impressive! I'm sure he is a heck of receiver I guess I was just shocked seeing him on Defense! Very fast and moved to the ball.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 3 years ago

I was an assistant coach on a team that played Bishop Miege during McCay's JR or SR year... McCay certainly has the athleticism to be a big time player.

JayHok 3 years ago

Great article.

Might be noted McCay was also ranked as a 5 star.

RCJ Weis!

beenahawk 3 years ago

Not that great. McCay must sit out the 2011 season?

Matt Tait 3 years ago

Bummer. Thanks for pointing that out. It's fixed now. And, hey, can you blame me for subconsciously thinking that the 2011 season never happened?

Thanks again for pointing it out. Have a great day!

hawk316 3 years ago

Sounds like a great young man, and I love his remarks about Weis...in particular, this one:

Bangkok_Jayhawk 3 years ago

I LOVE FOOTBALL ARTICLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bangkok_Jayhawk 3 years ago

Heaps to McCay... This could be good!

I have a hard time believing McCay goes anywhere but KU with the Grunhard connection. There have been some big talents in Kansas/KC the last few years that have gotten away... Justin McCay, Blake Bell, Geneo Grissom, Dan Tapko, the Brown brothers, Michael Rose, Matthews, Starling (even though he opted for baseball)... Hope to see more Kansas talent end up at Kansas.

DevilHawk 3 years ago

Starting with 2008, here's the short-list of 4- and 5-star players from Kansas - based on Rivals:

2008: Arthur Brown, LB, Miami (FL) Chris Harper, ATH, Oregon

2009: * Brice Brown, RB, Tennessee

2010: Justin McCay, ATH, OU Blake Bell, Pro-Style QB, OU Geneo Grissom, DE, OU DeMarcus Robinson, RB, K-State * Joseph Randle, ATH, OU

2011: Jordan Phillips, DT, OU Bubba Starling, ATH, Nebraska

2012: * Tyler Matthews, Pro-Style QB, TCU

From near the KC area - Missouri side:

2008: Andrew Jones, TE, Mizzou Spencer Ladner, Cal

2009: * Nathan Scheelhaase, Dual-Threat QB, Illinois

2010: Marcus Lucas, WR, Mizzou Keeston Terry, WR, KU

2011: * Darrian Miller, RB, KU

2012: Ondre Pipkins, DT, Michigan Evan Boehm, OL, Mizzou

DevilHawk 3 years ago

For the moment, it seems clear that Blake Bell is the third-string QB at OU - behind Landry Jones and Drew Allen.

If McCay transfers to here, then I could see Bell potentially also deciding to transfer to KU, where he would be tutored by Weis, Crist, and (to a lesser extent) by Heaps.

Add a home-run D.C. and we might be able to bring a large number of higher rated local players from the classes of 2010 and 2011 to KU and convince some players in the current class to switch their commitments to KU.

AirCapJay 3 years ago

Blake Bell is a life-long OU fan and would not play for anyone else.

DevilHawk 2 years, 12 months ago

I didn't say that it was likely - only that it was a possible result.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 3 years ago

That tells me two things...
1. We have work to do in our own backyard. 2. Our backyard is significantly underrated! That is a lot of talent.

DevilHawk 3 years ago

Agreed.

Looking at the 2010 list makes me wonder about the motives behind firing Mangino - beyond everything that has been mentioned repeatedly.

I'm not looking at a very good timeline on the topic, but at a glance it looks as though we didn't put much effort into recruiting any of the top five Kansas guys of that year until after we hired Gill.

Clarence Haynes 3 years ago

A number of these guys are from Wichita. We need to shore up our recruiting there!

jayhawktalk 3 years ago

Geneo Grissom was committed to KU before Mangino was fired. Not that I'm saying it should/should not have happened, but, had Mangino stayed, Grissom would be playing for KU, now.

JayHok 3 years ago

Anybody know if Grissom is getting any playing time at OU?

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years ago

I hope Darian stays, he was the best player on the team last year.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 3 years ago

Sims, Bourbon, Miller, and Pierson make for a crowded backfield. If there was a position that we could afford a transfer, it is at RB. That being said, I would rather have Sims and Miller as a 1-2 punch and see if we can put Bourbon and Pierson at different positions where we could use their talent more than we can in a crowded backfield. Would Pierson make a decent receiver or possibly a defensive back? Can Bourbon play LB, WR, or Safety?

JayHok 3 years ago

Pierson is so fast. I'm looking forward to seeing how Weis will use his speed. Misdirection plays to get Pierson in the open field with the ball? Oregon doesn't run a pro set, but I love how their running backs leak out occasionally and catch a 5 yard pass that turns into a 30 yard scamper. I can see Weis using Pierson like that often, even if Pierson is lined up as a pass eligible lineman! OK that's a bit too far but you get the point. Find a way to get Pierson the ball in open space and have some fun flipping into the endzone like Aqib Talib. RCJ

texashawk10 2 years, 12 months ago

I really hope Miller stays. He is the best RB Kansas has and is a big time home run threat as he showed at times last season. Tony Pierson is a great athlete and I hope he isn't forced to stay at RB because he has the ability to line up anywhere like a Reggie Bush, Brian Westbrook, or Percy Harvin and be someone who creates huge match up problems for opposing defenses.

bigtex 3 years ago

I have seen players all over the country that have committed to certain D-1 programs knowing that a system or coaching staff would be a great fit for them. The problem is coaches and systems move on or get fired(ALOT). All of these D-1 football players that want to transfer to another D-1 and play right away can't !!! I believe if a coaching staff leaves a certain program players should be able to transfer without losing a year of eligibility and be able to play immediately.The NCAA states your scholarship is with the University not the coaching staff, which is a bunch of BS. Fortunate for Crist he graduated and is eligible to play right away. This is a loop hole student athletes have to be eligible to play right away. For the players that made a bad decision going to the wrong program that didn't fit them, they should have to set out a year if transferring to another D-1.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 12 months ago

It is a very necessary rule.

Unfortunately it does come with some negatives. If there were no transfer rules though, you could see a mass exodus every time a coach is fired. This would create huge problems.

Another problem is stars banding together to create an unfair advantage. Here is just an example that... If there was no penalty, what would stop Thomas Robinson from transferring to Syracuse? KU will have a good season, but if I were a guy wanting to win a NC now, I might look at Syracuse. He could call up Jarred Sullinger and Austin Rivers as well and they could create a "Dream Team" overnight without any penalty.

If there no penalties I really don't think situations like these are far fetched. It's basically happening in the NBA.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years ago

what is going on with Miller? i haven't seen any reports that his status is "unclear" at this point. these unsubstantiated speculation phrases are really frustrating.

Matt Tait 3 years ago

There's definitely been some real talk of him transferring, though I'm not sure that's what will end up happening.

The reason you haven't seen any reports about it is because we can't talk to Miller and no one else is talking about it on the record...

We'll see what happens. At this point, I think there's a good chance that he's staying, but nothing's definite just yet.

We'll report it, one way or the other, as soon as we can.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years ago

"At this point, I think there's a good chance that he's staying, but nothing's definite just yet."

I hope you're right about that, Matt. What a special talent this kid is. I think We will still run the football under Weis. All great offenses run the football and New England's offenses under Weiss were no different. If you can't run, you can't keep your defense off the field. Something we have failed to accomplish recently.

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years ago

Matt,

Stupid question: why can't you talk to him? He's an adult, right? Just wondering.

Not trying to be a jerk - just asking a question.

Thanks,

Matt Tait 2 years, 12 months ago

If only it were that simple... He is an adult, yes, but KU controls when these guys can and can't talk 100 percent of the time.

Would be much easier if we could just contact him, but that's not the way the game is played.

Even when you try to contact them without going through KU, these guys are so well instructed that they simply say they can't talk...

So we wait. Should know something relatively soon, though.

jhawk613 2 years, 12 months ago

Good reporting does not equal speculating.

Why should Tait risk credibility or relationship with the KU Athletics Department writing an article based in presumption or guesswork?

That's what the message boards are for.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

Dayne's name should be in the ring of honor! Although he will be here for one year and go 7-5 at best, he is the man that got this thing rolling. I'm pretty sure no Crist would of ment no heaps no McCray etc. And this building project would have taken much longer.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

"at best"

Heck, I'd even take 2-10 again. As long as we competed in every game and showed signs of improvement over the course of the season.

Chris Bailey 3 years ago

We picked up two Juco D-lineman which will take pressure off the rest of the D. I also think that will make our D much stronger. Add to that a top D-coordinator and we could improve that much!

bigtex 3 years ago

If KU would of beat Baylor,Texas Tech, Iowa St. and Missouri last year, which they could of with a decent coach (Record 6-6).I would say 7 wins should be easy for Charlie.

Annette Lee 3 years ago

A solid QB can change the offense, remember Reesing ?

bigtex 3 years ago

Off. Cord.makes the offense solid.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 3 years ago

Apherse didn't say we would win 7 games. He said we would "go 7-5 at best". Key words there are "at best". I agree with him.

Realistic expectation... 5 wins Not out of the question... 6 or 7 wins

College players generally improve every year. We return a LOT of players so i theory there should be a lot of improvement. From a natural talent stand point (based off of recruiting websites which are more relevant than we give them credit) we have some decently talented players coming back. We could realistically make big strides with good coaching, steady improvement across the board, and a major upgrade at both QB and DT.

I think we are selling ourselves short if we merely expect 3-4 wins.

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years ago

3-0 in non-con. Not a single gimmee in the conference. ISU and TTU are the most likely candidates and neither will be an easy win. 4 wins or 5 wins is most likely, and not a failure. Closer games overall, one upset win, and you've got a very good 2012 season. Go bowling and I'm buying the drinks!

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 12 months ago

Where do you live? I'm evaluating the opportunity cost of that drink!!!

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 12 months ago

I agree about 3-0 in non-conference but I think we can do better than zero Big 12 wins.

If GriRG3 goes, there is no way Baylor is the same caliber of a team.
Iowa State is improved but is far from dominant. Ditto with Tex Tech There are always flukes, injuries, and surprises. Those can mean upsets!

AirCapJay 3 years ago

I agree that college players can learn a lot from one season to the next. Even though our defense was one of the worst last year, I'm sure they learned a lot and would not be surprised to see them all motivated.

Bville Hawk 3 years ago

There was some talk a month ago or so that our previous head coach had been lax in requiring that players attend class, etc. Has anyone seen any follow-through on this?

rockemchalkemrobots 3 years ago

Thanks for the fix, Matt. It can't be easy coming up with new ideas for stories. Heck, I was almost tapped after the expose I wrote on the track re-dedication...

Bville Hawk 3 years ago

That's really sad or maybe pathetic is a better word. Supposedly a "players first" coach and he coddles them and can't do even the most basic things to make them better athletes and prepare them for life after football and college.

And Lew Perkins should be sued for not being a prudent custodian of donor funds (IMHO).

741hawk 3 years ago

I heard from an asst coach in another KU sport that the football team could barely walk out of the weight room the day Hudy was given responsibility for weight training of the football team!

Bville Hawk 3 years ago

I can believe that. I would guess that SZ took that opportunity to send a message to the team that the culture was about to change. I'll bet he directed her to ratchet things up several notches as far as both expectations and accountability.

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years ago

To save everyone time, I've written Jaybate's column for him:

I saw a Sports Illustrated with Dayne Crist and Joe Montana mentioned in two separate articles. To say that Dayne Crist is a greater quarterback than Joe Montana just does not make sense.

Charlie Weis is too heavy to be a head coach. No fat coach will ever make it to the Orange Bowl.

Riboflavin.

Hit 'em high, hit 'em low. Go through 'em and around 'em and when the breaks are against us and the boys are up against the wall, tell them to win one for the Skipper.

Turner Gill was an excellent clock manager.

Praise lord, Larry Brown - in spite of the probation you left us with.

Till next time.

boknowssports 3 years ago

Its sad to hear this stuff coming out about Gill's program. For the kind of money he was paid, one would think he would be more on top of this. Obviously our record supports, in some way, these reports. Anyway, the Weis era seems to be getting off with a bang with these 5 stars and all. I've heard the Crist has a cannon for an arm. With our running backs, hopefully a much improved defense, KU football should at a minimum elevate itself from the national sports reporters daily jokes.

boknowssports 3 years ago

wow, thanks for the youtube. cannon is right....and the announcer commenting on how Crist stayed in the pocket, in his own end-zone, and found his secondary receiver...wow!

741hawk 3 years ago

I'm very excited about Crist and other prospects, but I guess they didn't show Crist the track!

Bville Hawk 3 years ago

I hope that everyone who dislikes the track has committed to purchase season football tickets for the next 10 years or so. I'll bet that if we start selling out Memorial Stadium on a regular basis that the track issue will be resolved.

Ben Kliewer 3 years ago

It looks like a lot of these articles on KUSports.com are written through Crimson and Blue colored glasses. A lot of the articles I'm reading outside of this website is saying that hiring Weis may have been a big mistake. I know he says he's learned from his mistakes at Notre Dame, but with the way he tanked there, it's going to take some convincing. Heaps is another issue. With the more I'm researching on him, it's looking like he was WAY overrated. Looks like we could be heading toward low, middle of the pack status at best...an improvement, but definitely NOT where we want to be. Who knows how long Weis will stay here as he seems to switch jobs on a regular basis. I wish we'd quit getting hosed. Thanks for firing Mangino, Screw Perkins.

All in all, color me skeptical until Weis and Heaps can prove themselves. Crist, I'm not so worried about.

And as always, my skeptical pessimistic attitude is all ahperse's fault.

UtahGma 2 years, 12 months ago

I wouldn't worry too much about Jake. I watched him play these last two seasons. This year he won 4, lost 2. One of those losses was to Texas, by one point. And KU's season was what...? : >

2011 season at BYU had multiple 'issues', including a new OC (new play calling), receivers coach, linebacker coach, defensive backs coach etc... you get the picture.

I'm optimistic (but share some skepticism) about Weis. It will be interesting. I'm going to add KU football to my Yahoo Sportacular app.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years ago

What's wrong with just getting rid of the entire track program and using it's annual budget to cover the expense of removing the track?

Bville Hawk 2 years, 12 months ago

You know, ahperse, that is not actually too bad of an idea. Would save the expense of having to build another track with seating somewhere else.

Do we still offer women's track? If not, would we have to add another men's sport since we dropped track?

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 12 months ago

You'd have to do some scholarship juggling for title 9 but nothing to difficult. You could add a few more full scholarships to existing teams like swimming, baseball/softball, volleyball, whatever. Most of the Olympic sports give only a few full and the rest are partial. This would greatly increase the competitiveness of those teams as well.

Ask yourself this, "if the track team went away, would you even notice?" doubt it!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 12 months ago

Ok, start a women's bowling team with the avaiable scholarships!

JayHok 2 years, 12 months ago

Regarding the track, it's a question of how close Weis and Zenger want our fans to the action. It's also a question of how much of an advantage it can be for Weis' players. Below I've posted a clip to show the feel of what Kansas can have by digging the field lower and adding eight rows of seats at the same angle so the sight lines are preserved throughout the stadium. The cost is nowhere near what a random poster claimed the other day. He's talking about a complete stadium renovation. Kansas is not. Get a KC firm involved and get it done in three months for about 1/100th the cost of a complete stadium renovation. RCJ

Bville Hawk 2 years, 12 months ago

Your link is of an Oregon kickoff return vs USC...

Are you an engineer or architect? Have you studied the proposal done 20 years ago and brought it forward to today's prices? Or are you just talking off the top of your head?

JayHok 2 years, 12 months ago

Haha! Not an engineer but I do know about sump pumps, have one in the house from a renovation and they're not all that complex. Technology has changed in 20 years, including construction tech. As others have proposed that's why I'm supporting the notion of getting a KC firm involved and getting it done. At least get a real estimate and not one from a total stadium overhaul. The poster who was trying to scare people away with the---ahem lowering---- of the field at UW, didn't factor in the fact that UW's is a complete stadium overhaul.

My son, who is a nine year engineer, would say this----Basements are dug everyday across the nation, even through rock. Last I thought about it, digging a basement doesn't cost a zillion dollars. That's basically what Kansas would be doing, digging a large basement and putting in some seats along the slope. It's not all that complex, Dad!

RCJ

Bville Hawk 2 years, 12 months ago

I wouldn't have any problem with a new feasibility study being done with estimates for the job. It might very well turn out to be more reasonable than we think. Part of the problem is to then build a new track with some seating for Olympic events, etc (unless we go with ahperse suggestion above to just eliminate the Track Program altogether).

JayHok 2 years, 12 months ago

Yep. Although the track program can stay alive using the twenty or so already existing tracks across Lawrence until a new track facility can be built on Kansas U property west of 23rd. That area has a nice spread. Just some rental fees. No big deal as far as I'm concerned when factoring in the tremendous payback a 65,000---and many more if the end of the U ever circles the pit----- seat packed, rowdy stadium.

Just a little personal experience here I shared a few weeks ago but it's worth repeating. I went to the Oregon-UCLA PAC 12 championship game. Sat on the 7th row directly in front of the UCLA cheerleaders. The entire game changes when the stadium and a full rowdy house is on top of the game.

This IMHO is why the Allen Field House experience hasn't yet transferred over to Memorial. With Reesing it gained huge major momentum, however sometimes it's a physical thing too that helps fans.

The Phog is a perfect physical place mixed with the perfect basketball crowd.

Memorial can have that too, I can see it already. In fact I saw it first hand at the PAC 12 championship. There's no reason our stadium can't feel that way.

The center of attention must be the field period.

RCJ Bville!

Bville Hawk 2 years, 12 months ago

And sitting right in front of the UCLA cheerleaders could never be considered a bad seat under any circumstances!

BillSelf4Prez 2 years, 12 months ago

YES! Make the track program (if we keep it) go run at the highschool!

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 12 months ago

How much closer from each end and each sideline would track removal accomplish. I don't know that it will do what we think it will. It seems to me that there is no sense in removing the track without the lowering of the field. Then, for the benefit, I suspect the cost is not worth it.

To me if we are going to get to the next level we need to prepare for a capacity that is worthy of the Big10, in the 75,000 range and make every effort to build the fan support and keep the stadium full. So, I would not be concerned about this for now until we have a big plan and we see how incremental changes might occur within the plan. The stadium was rehabbed not that long ago. New turf recently too. So, I would say we need to pay off current debt, raise funds and win before we talk any more about this.

danmoore 2 years, 12 months ago

Upgrading Memorial has to be on the to do list but before we start adding seats we need to fill the current ones that are vacant.

JayHok 2 years, 12 months ago

If Weis and Zenger lower the field and add seats to make it a true pit environment, this could be our first good trick. Of course the jumper needs to be dressed up like a Jayhawk.

danmoore 2 years, 12 months ago

Any idea of how many seats this will add?

BillSelf4Prez 2 years, 12 months ago

Probably 6-10 thousand. Most likely more.

BillSelf4Prez 2 years, 12 months ago

YES!! And I hate how the family zone is so far away from the action!

Jim Jackson 2 years, 12 months ago

No clue as to why Miller would consider transferring. He'd have to sit out a year. Him Peirson and Bourbon all have superior speed to Sims. Miller will also get bigger (hopefully gain 10 lbs) and stronger and hopefully faster by working out his lower body (always toughest to improve speed and when it does improve, it's only by a fraction of a second 4.5 40 yd dash to 4.4 40) so if one of those 3 goes down at any time, there should be enough carries to go around as I dont believe Sims should take away carries from those 3. Thoughts?

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 12 months ago

I heard Jessie here in Omaha (on a radio show), and he mentioned "off the field" problems. That could be grades, or I suppose something worse! I hope he stays. I can't imagine Weiss not using Pierson creatively, so that really would leave a three man backfield, and we've all seen how often you need all three.

jgrobb 2 years, 12 months ago

bee-ville = I can't bench 100 lbs but yet I feel empowered to criticize the football team's strength conditioning, OR, I am/ was a 'B' student yet I feel empowered to criticize how often Gill's players attended class.

BrockIII 2 years, 12 months ago

Rumors posted on Twitter say McCay will be given full release by OU to transfer to KU. If McCay is given a waiver due to a family situation, he could play immediately and not lose eligibility. Not sure if that is the case here - his father died months before he made his college decision in 2009 and it sounds like he became very close to Grunhard. Otherwise, he would sit out the 2012 season and lose a year of eligibility due to it being an intraconference transfer, which would leave him with two years remaining.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 12 months ago

I('m sure there are better places to put this BUT how 'boutDarren Sproles make the all-time single season record in all purpose yards.. New Orleans should publicly thank SD for POOR personal decisions...