Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Drew Gooden suspended for foul

— Milwaukee Bucks forward Drew Gooden was suspended without pay for the team’s first home game Tuesday night for his flagrant foul in the season opener.

Gooden, a Kansas University product, was ejected late in the third quarter Monday for clocking Gerald Henderson in the head with his arm as the Bobcats guard attempted to make a driving layup in Charlotte’s 96-95 win.

Gooden scored four points off the bench before his ejection.

The 10th-year veteran averaged 11.3 points and 6.8 rebounds for the Bucks last season.

Comments

Ryan Lee 9 years, 11 months ago

We would have won it all if Drew stayed. I miss his greasy Halfro. He needs to grow it back.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

We would have won it if Wayne Simien hadn't hurt his shoulder!

Scott Oswalt 9 years, 11 months ago

Ya, how about Nick Collison missing sooooooo many free throws. Blah!

Bangkok_Jayhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Haha very true... Gooden, Simien, or free throws would have won that game.

ku_foaf 9 years, 11 months ago

I think we would have won if Hakeem Warrick hadn't sprinted across the floor and blocked Mike Lee's shot. I think it was goin' in! We had the momentum at that point if it had been overtime.

In retrospect, we had nothing to be ashamed of a close game where we managed to fight back . There were some pretty darn talent people on the Syracuse team! That was more obvious later than at the time.

Jaybabe 9 years, 11 months ago

A year or two later I read some comments from Carmelo Anthony that carried a great deal of respect for Kirk. He said that Kirk was the toughest defender he had ever faced.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Awesome memories! Miles, Heinrich, Boshee, Collison Gooden with Langford, Lee, and Simien coming off the bench. That was a heck of a team! I really had fun watching those guys.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 11 months ago

"Gooden, a Kansas University product.." I like the term "product". It resolves the "former Jayhawk" vs. "ex-Jahawk" dilema.

We do overwhealmingly have mostly good "product" representing out there. But there are a slight few cases where the "products" are in scratch and dent departments!

Phoghorn 9 years, 11 months ago

I met Mr. Gooden while we were both students at KU. Seemed to me to be a very pleasant person. This was probably just one of those "heat of the moment" incidents.

Al Martin 9 years, 11 months ago

Here in Austin they use the term "lifetime Longhorn". I kind of like the sound of "lifetime Jayhawk".

Ann Oneill 9 years, 11 months ago

I saw a replay of the foul, and thought it was a pretty lame call.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 11 months ago

I watched it too, wasn't nearly the worst thing I've ever seen.

Phoghorn 9 years, 11 months ago

I think it was flagrant mostly because he was not going for the ball. A one game suspension seems appropriate. Let him sit the bench and then come back out and redeem himself.