Thursday, December 22, 2011

Former Notre Dame QB Dayne Crist picks Kansas

In this Oct. 31, 2009 file photo, Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis puts in backup quarterback Dayne Crist against Washington State in the second half in San Antonio, Texas. Crist has decided to transfer to Kansas, where the former Notre Dame quarterback will be reunited with coach Weis.

photo

Kansas football recruit Dayne Crist watches from the stands during the second half on Saturday, Dec. 10, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

photo

AP Photo/Michael Conroy, File

In this Sept. 3, 2011, file photo, Notre Dame quarterback Dayne Crist throws against South Florida in South Bend, Ind.

When Charlie Weis was hired as the head coach of the Kansas University football team earlier this month, he came to town with a big name and the promise of bringing big-time quarterbacks to Lawrence.

With the first part already well in hand, Weis delivered on the second part of that equation on Thursday, when former Notre Dame quarterback Dayne Crist announced, via Twitter, that he was joining the Jayhawks for his final season of college football.

“After a long & difficult decision making process, I’m incredibly excited to join the Kansas football team,” Crist’s Tweet read. “Rock Chalk Jayhawk!”

Crist, who will be eligible to play next season because he’s a recent graduate of Notre Dame, played three seasons and made 10 starts for the Fighting Irish from 2008-11. He was recruited to Notre Dame by Weis and first came to Lawrence the day after Weis was introduced at Kansas.

Since then he has visited Delaware and Wisconsin and ultimately picked the Jayhawks over Wisconsin.

The announcement late Wednesday that Wisconsin offensive coordinator Paul Chryst will be hired as the new head coach at Pittsburgh, may have played a role in Crist’s decision and the timing of his announcement.

As a high school senior in Canoga Park, Calif., Crist earned a five-star rating from Rivals.com and was ranked as the No. 2 quarterback prospect in the nation. His career at Notre Dame did not bring similar success. Two knee injuries cost him the better part of two seasons, and, after being named the starter for 2011, he was benched during the opening game of the season and appeared in just three games the rest of the way.

Now, Crist, who has the look and feel of an NFL quarterback, is determined to prove he still can play and will do so under one of the best QB tutors in football who has abundant connections to the NFL.

During his time at Notre Dame, Crist completed a shade over 58 percent of his passes for 2,327 yards, with 16 touchdowns and nine interceptions. During the 10 games in which he lined up as the starter, Notre Dame was 4-6.

His best season, both statistically and in terms of impact, came during 2010, when he started nine games and threw for 2,033 yards and 15 TDs.

Although nothing has been confirmed, rumors of two-year starter Jordan Webb transferring have run wild during the past couple of weeks. Should Webb decide to leave Kansas, Crist would be by far the most experienced quarterback on KU's roster heading into 2012.

Beyond Crist, and without Webb, QB-turned-wide-receiver, Kale Pick, would be the only other player on the Kansas roster to have started at game at quarterback.

While landing Crist is a huge pick-up for Weis and the Jayhawks, the program hardly seems content to stop there. KU remains in pursuit of BYU transfer Jake Heaps and also continues to target quarterbacks in the high school Class of 2012.

For more on Crist, stay logged on to KUSports.com throughout the day.

Comments

drnater 7 years, 5 months ago

Move over Jordan Webb! Hello Dayne Crist!!!!!

okiedave 7 years, 5 months ago

Webb is merely going to have to step up his game.

LAJayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

He will, although it will likely be for another school. It will be sad to see him go, but I would be rather surprised if he didn't transfer. My guess would be to an FCS school so he could play immediately.

Jayhawk1116 7 years, 5 months ago

I won't be sad to see him go, but I hope he does well wherever he goes...

LAJayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Why not? He committed to our University, and by all accounts he worked his butt of to do the best job he could possibly do as a Jayhawk. He seems like a great kid and a very solid human being. He can't help that he just doesn't quite have Big 12 talent, or that he was surrounded by an awful, awful team that he was trying to do the best he could with. It would have been hard for anyone to succeed under Gill with the talent Webb had around him.

He shouldn't be our starting quarterback, but I will still be sad to see a very solid kid with a great work ethic leave the program, even if it is the best move for everyone, including him.

He's still a Jayhawk.

grisgris 7 years, 5 months ago

Webb has already been told to transfer from what I have heard. His days playing ball at KU ended when Weis took over.

Marcia Parsons 7 years, 5 months ago

That may be, but I don't believe he was "told to transfer", but instead was warned that they wouldn't be playing his style--pro set instead of pocket passer. I'm sure he had the option to stay, but realizes he wouldn't be likely to play. I'm sorry it didn't work out for him.

Matt Bowers 7 years, 5 months ago

I am a big fan of Webb. Not many people could suit up every game and then practice hard during the week, with knowledge of what he was walking into. Webb has character and I hope that HCCW sees this and helps develop Webb as well.

Rock Chalk

gchawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Excellent points, I completely concur.

ebizzle 7 years, 5 months ago

If you are true blue you always respect what Jordan Webb did as a Jayhawk

hawk316 7 years, 5 months ago

Well said, kustrong. It appears that Jordan's chances of playing much in the future at KU have been reduced, so it would not surprise me to see him transfer. He's a competitor and worked very hard while at Kansas. I could definitely see him doing well in another situation, and I wish him the best.

BigXIIForever 7 years, 5 months ago

Crist is not the most durable QB historically. Jordan might like to stick around and learn under one of the best. He might get another shot.

Ryan Gerstner 7 years, 5 months ago

This is big time news! This decision alone could have KU bowling next year!

DRsmith 7 years, 5 months ago

You can't be serious. Does this guy play defense as well?

LAJayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Holy Mother of God that throw was ridiculous. 50 yard laser beam that he tosses so easily. What an arm....

Ben Kane 7 years, 5 months ago

what a throw. i didn't even see him throw it, the ball just sort of ejected from his hand.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 5 months ago

My eyes started tearing and goose bumps ran up and down my back when I watched that clip again---unbelievable!

97jhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Yes!!! So far, the Bigger than the Lil' Round Mound of Sound is coming through with his recruiting!

Now, if Weis can just land a solid DC, we might just be cooking with butter!

Matt Bowers 7 years, 5 months ago

Is this the second coming...

Rock Chalk

Jayhawk1116 7 years, 5 months ago

Christmas has come a little early this year.

Nick Cole 7 years, 5 months ago

Side note: just say healthy.

And as SoCalAlum said, Merry Crist-mas. Love it!

irvan moore 7 years, 5 months ago

this is a big freaking deal, good for us

squawkhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Why? I don't really get it. The guy, like Weis, was less than spectacular at ND. He will probably be better than Webb but Webb was only a small part of the problem this year. Who the heck is Crist going to throw to? That was the biggest problem this year with a poor corp of receivers. I just don't really see Crist coming in and making a huge difference next year, and next year alone. I think it would actually be better to bring up a younger QB and let him develop in the system. The boost that Crist will bring next year on the field will be minimum and probably means one or two more wins tops.

beebe1 7 years, 5 months ago

squawk

Seems to me you are under valuing the talent we had!! The Defense did exactly what they were taught to do. Even Gil admitted on the radio that our 'schemes" were insufficient. It is rather obvious in the running backs, and the OL blocked pretty well for them, if they weren't tied down to running plays in first and second. Maybe we are a little short on talent, but not what you expect. I think Weiss and Crist will do their best to make the most of them!

Cmill1221 7 years, 5 months ago

"Why is this a big deal?". Did you even watch the KU games last year!?!?!?

Bob Forer 7 years, 5 months ago

Squawk, You're that type of person we have all had to suffer through at some time in our life. You'd find fault in Almighty God himself if he appeared in a poof in front of you. Go to McDonalds and buy yourself a Happy Meal or take a pill or check your rear end to ensure you don't have a huge bug caught up there.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 5 months ago

I just learned that running around the neighborhood naked screaming rock chalk is frowned on by local law enforcement.

Maybe I'm too excited!

Jayhawk1116 7 years, 5 months ago

Rock out with your hawk out, as they say.

LAJayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Zenger is patiently awaiting your apologetic phone call.

And by waiting, I mean, not waiting at all. And by phone call, I mean, a large donation check.

Seth Nesmith 7 years, 5 months ago

That's not what they were frowning about!

ampthatman 7 years, 5 months ago

Ahperse, I could have told you that in 2008 after the Reesing-to-Meier game at Arrowhead. A Kansas flag does not count as "clothing". At least not in Oklahoma...

Dan Pawlowski 7 years, 5 months ago

LMAO...and I suggest if you also LYAO, you do it with your clothes on.

escaped_labrat 7 years, 5 months ago

ahpersecoachingexperience must be in jail right now for failing to listen to the police after the Crist announcement since he did it again after the Heaps announcement. Shall we start collecting bail money?

trout984bum 7 years, 5 months ago

Aphers, you have morphed into such a positive, likable J-Hawker (you always were pretty funny though, whether I agreed with you or not)! This can only be explained by the Supernatural. LOL

Michael Pannacciulli 7 years, 5 months ago

Naked as a jaybird. I'm sure law enforcement would understand your reason for doing so once you explain...after you put the clothes back on maybe.

Micah Mandy Haase 7 years, 5 months ago

Now I can stop hovering over twitter until the next big name starts heating up!!! Welcome Dayne and Rock Chalk!!!

Ann Oneill 7 years, 5 months ago

Guess you didn't have to wait long....

Justin Carlson 7 years, 5 months ago

Can't wait for 2012!! 7 - 5 or 6 - 6 small bowl (happy as hell) TT graduates and we are loaded for Bball and make a run to the elite 8!! Fball and Bball at KU are both back!!!

Sam Constance 7 years, 5 months ago

Pretty sad that the only thing you can say about a kid who has given KU 4 years is "happy to see him go!".

I don't care how erratic his play can be at times. He was still a Jayhawk through and through.

orbiter 7 years, 5 months ago

totally agree. a kid, barely ranked in the top 100 coming out of high school, from the mean streets of Hoboken, goes on to start at one of college bball's dynasty schools and this school's fans hate on him relentlessly. sad.

lawrenceboy3 7 years, 5 months ago

I don't disagree with the points made here. I think that Webb probably will transfer and wish him well. He had was put in a rough situation and probably never really had a decent chance to succeed. BUT......Webb has only been at KU 3 years, one year as a red shirt and then two years playing under center. He still has 2 years of eligibility left and will likely be able to transfer to a smaller school and play out his college career.

Andy Tweedy 7 years, 5 months ago

They're talking about Tyshawn Taylor...FYI

Dan Pawlowski 7 years, 5 months ago

Yes and I remind people now and then just to bring some perspective to their lives, He has turds more athletic than most of us.

Dan Pawlowski 7 years, 5 months ago

That applies to Webb and TT. Haters only wish they had the talent.

beebe1 7 years, 5 months ago

If there is a way to salvage Webb, I hope we take it. Crist, Heap nor any other QB would thrive with Long calling the plays!

Matt Bowers 7 years, 5 months ago

Who would you rather have TT or Sulinger? One of them suits up every game and plays for his school, not himself...just sayin.

Rock Chalk

rockemchalkemrobots 7 years, 5 months ago

This is the same Tyshawn that was suspended on multiple occasions that you claim "suits up every game"? I wish him well and I don't agree with all the knocks on him, but let the ink dry on his KU career before starting with the revisionist history. Just typin'.

manginodrh00lz 7 years, 5 months ago

It's a shame TT has ruined your life...how could he be so inconsiderate? Trash comment.

LAJayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

I didn't even notice the TT part of that comment. Agree with all above. Totally uncalled for.

Andrew Washington 7 years, 5 months ago

Shouldn't we be hoping for a run at the final four instead of the elite 8?

AaronHawk19 7 years, 5 months ago

Just b/c we dropped at game to RPI #26 Davidson does not mean our season is over Maxhawk. In 2009, I recall a close loss to Syracuse (i.e. Duke in Maui), a loss to UMass (not as good as Davidson) at the Sprint Center, a blowout losses to Michigan St. and Zona (i.e. Kentucky game but happened TWICE), and a close win over Siena (i.e. Long Beach St.). That team made its way to the sweet sixteen and almost beat Michigan St. the second time around. I think that the coaching staff will max out this talent and we will at very least win 25 games this season...not bad for a down year.

Dan Pawlowski 7 years, 5 months ago

During the regular season in 1988 we did not look good at all. Funny how that worked out.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 5 months ago

That would be my question---Has there ever been a 5-star quarterback play at KU?

JJHAWK 7 years, 5 months ago

YIPPEE! Wonder if this will influence some WR's?

Bville Hawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Now we gotta snag that 4 star transfer from USC to give him someone to throw to (the receiver is eligible to play next season as well, isn't he?).

tical523 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it!

tical523 7 years, 5 months ago

Cant load it for some reason. . .butbi bet it's awesome. Lol il try again later. Is it Jesse Spano?

LAJayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Ah, didn't even think about that. No, but when you watch it, check out the 56 second mark.... haha...

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 5 months ago

i't's not. but i think you just came up with the 2012 jayhawk football theme.

I'm so excited! I'm so excited! I'm so. . .SCARED!

tical523 7 years, 5 months ago

I love it, even the first YouTube comment for the 56 second mark. I am going to be as excited as she is when I get up and ready on Saturdays this season. It's weird, we have a basketball game tonight. . . .Hope Heaps and Crist watch us kick some west coast USC ass to get warmed up to Rock Chalk nation.

Dan Pawlowski 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm about to lose my mind and I think I like it.

Micah Mandy Haase 7 years, 5 months ago

If we could land Jake Heaps it would do wonders for our recruiting the next couple of years..At least on the offensive side of the ball..

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 5 months ago

another glorious day in the jayhawk nation

shinanigins 7 years, 5 months ago

Receivers will now follow and the offense should be pretty good. Time to land a DC and get some good defensive recruits from both HS and JC.

alfie 7 years, 5 months ago

The DC has already been picked just waiting till after the bowl game is over....

alfie 7 years, 5 months ago

Micah Mandy Haase 7 years, 5 months ago

Anyone want to guess the over/under on the amount of comments this story gets?

Joe Joseph 7 years, 5 months ago

Championship! .................................

Noweigh 7 years, 5 months ago

Nice job Coach Weiss.....after two dreadful years, glad to have people finally fired up again about football!!!

Chris Bailey 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm guessing now Weis will bring in a couple big time receivers! I bet Jacorey Sheppard is licking his chops! Should be a great first season for Weis and KU football! Rock Chalk!

drnater 7 years, 5 months ago

DP has been very outspoken about wanting Crist to come to KU. We'll have a very nice set of receivers! DP, DJ, Jacorey, and dont forget Marquis Jackson got in a lil bit this year. Those 4 could be a very good group of receivers, not a lot of size, but a lot of athleticism and speed!!!!

rockchalknation 7 years, 5 months ago

Congratulations Dayne! I wish you the best of luck as you transition to KU in the next several weeks. Hope you have a very productive spring, stay healthy, knock the cover off the ball next fall, and have a very productive career in the NFL. Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

ozzzy 7 years, 5 months ago

Rock Chalk Dayne! Now let's get Butler, Wagner, and Heaps to transfer, and I will have a very Merry Christmas!

Tony Bandle 7 years, 5 months ago

We all need to get together and send Pitt a big fruit basket "Cristmas" thank you!!!

Shawn Darius 7 years, 5 months ago

Yessssss!!! Welcome to Jayhawk Nation, Dayne. In Crist we Trust. Rock Chalk!

TheSportsDon 7 years, 5 months ago

A great get! However, look at all his stat's at ND. 4-6 as a starter, and often injured. Just think we as the Jayhawk Nation need to tamper our enthusiasm. That however, is not to say I am not excited! Does he get the Bobby Douglass number 10? (by the way, brand new poster on here, be easy on me. lol)

Micah Mandy Haase 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm guessing your comparing his stats as a starter to our past couple years starting qb's stats??

Micah Mandy Haase 7 years, 5 months ago

Don't get me wrong I really like Webb and think in a different situation he might have been a great QB but I think we all are excited about the fact that we are bringing in National attention with this and it should boost our recruiting aslo.

Joe Baker 7 years, 5 months ago

No malice toward Webb at all. It's time KU becomes relevant and this is the way to do it in football. Webb is and always will be a competitor. I hope he stays because he would be a great compliment to Crist.

TheSportsDon 7 years, 5 months ago

All I am saying is we should be elated yet realize that the kid can/might struggle. I am like the rest of the posse on here, are you kidding me? A former 5 star, Weis recruiting, national news, etc., etc. How can anyone not be excited today and for our future? Just not wanting to pin 'Heaps" of pressure on the guy. Subtle hint there...I want him too!

Micah Mandy Haase 7 years, 5 months ago

I wasn't trying to be rude we are all excited about this and welcome to the boards!!!

LAJayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Welcome to the boards. Keep on posting!

haps 7 years, 5 months ago

Great decision by Crist and excited to see him under center next year. This should help with getting WRs and with our current OL and RBs we could have a fairly potent offense. This also speaks volumes for the sway of Weis. Several years past his time coaching Crist and now at a Uni with minimal football tradition and he's still able to bring the kid with him.

As for Webb, no one should be gleeful at his likely benching or transferring. The kid chose Kansas, worked his tail off, and did everything asked of him. The failures of the coaches, the players around him, or his own athletic limitations are no reason to blow horns the second he is gone. I, for one, wish him the best and hope he decides to finish out his career as a Jayhawk. (Who knows how he'd do under Weis and it's never good to lose experienced QBs. He has represented the University with guts and class.

ozzzy 7 years, 5 months ago

Webb does seem like a great kid. It is an unfortunate situation for him, and I wish him the best in whatever he decides.

Andy Tweedy 7 years, 5 months ago

One other thing about Webb is he's been at KU for 3 years. If he's not about to graduate, I'm sure he's not too far off. Maybe he sticks around. Either way, I agree completely with your post.

LAJayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Good point about possibly graduating. I still have a feeling he'll go the FCS route and not have to sit out a year. I'm sure there are dozens of FCS schools that would kill to have a kid with 2 years of experience starting for a Big 12 school.

He still has two years of eligibility and something to prove....

westernkshawk 7 years, 5 months ago

I couldn't agree more. Webb has done everything asked of him. He's gone into every game with great heart. The fact that the team as a whole did not succeed is NOT totally his responsibility. He gave it all he had and that's all anybody can ask!!

dylans 7 years, 5 months ago

Glad to have you Dayne! Here's hoping your play next season propels you into the NFL.

gchawk 7 years, 5 months ago

"I've seen a lot of things in my life, but this..........is.............AWESOME!!" Great to have you in the Jayhawk family Dayne.

Stephen Johnson 7 years, 5 months ago

Okay. This is stacking up as one of my best Christmas's ever. RCJH

Kevin Long 7 years, 5 months ago

This is really great to see everyone so fired up about football again! See ya'll on Saturdays next fall! RCJH!!!

Kevin Kelly 7 years, 5 months ago

Everyone lets leave the awful Crist-mas puns alone. You're stealing Keegan's idea. What am I saying. Obvious 'Crist-mas' article from Keegan in 3...2...1...

blackhawkjayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

As Keith Jackson used to say: Bim 'Mo just switched teams (spare me the Will and Grace comments). Suck on that Purple Pussycats!

Jeremiah Jefferson 7 years, 5 months ago

This kid will regret this move for the rest of his life.

JayHok 7 years, 5 months ago

Good luck in the Cotton Bowl. Most of us will be rooting for Snyder and the rest of the Big 12. The Lawrence Journal World and its growing list of sponsors are honored you are surfing a team's newspaper site that went 2-10 last year!

Brak 7 years, 5 months ago

Isn't there some sheep you should be "taming" Stater?

gchawk 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm already ready to put a wager on next year's KU vs. KSU game, you want to take me up on it? I'm sure you'll request the typical KSU mantra of: "Ok, how many points you give me?".

Justin Lindsley 7 years, 5 months ago

lets just hope the o-line can block long enough for him to get the pass off. and lets hope that we have a reciever or two who can get open and catch the pass. Things are looking up @ KU!! Rock Chalk!!

Justin Lindsley 7 years, 5 months ago

I hope Crist and Weis have success next year. If they do that could go along way toward getting a QB who can play more than 1 year.

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 5 months ago

If we don't get Heaps it is okay. We have some young and talented QB's who may just need a year to develop and I am okay with that now since they can fight for the #2 spot. Now I hope we can get some stud WR's to really get us going on offense. Bring in more defensive players!

hammerhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

We now have to repay ksu for the last few years. I'd say mu too, but they are out of our FB lives - and good riddance. Go mighty Kansas Jayhawks.

squawkhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Calm down hammerhawk and keep it in perspective. While Crist will help next year we still have a long way to go and who knows how well the entire team adjusts to the new coaching style, philosophy and system. It is probably quite a stretch to assume that KU will jump from bottom feeder to being a contender. One step at a time.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm with you hammerhawk----I am so frickin' tired of losing to the Wild Kitties and just think, we get to go to Manhattan in 2012 and would love to "put the hammer down!" It will be nice to say again----here kitty kitty, want to play a little tackle football?!" Boo-ya!

tical523 7 years, 5 months ago

Any chance the current players do not fully embrace or follow the lead of a one year player? Thoughts??

tical523 7 years, 5 months ago

Wow, I would follow that talent what a throw. Since I posted I also read the JayhawkSlant article about his off the field presence, made him seem like a real real solid kid and leader.

NebraskaJayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Welcome to Kansas, Dayne. Wishing you a tremendous amount of success in the coming year. Work hard and make your dreams happen.

alfie 7 years, 5 months ago

lv_jhwk 7 years, 5 months ago

Again, which game would this be? Or if you can't divulge that, on what basis can you support your statement? And if that's too much for you to share, then what should make anyone believe your opinion is anything other than just that?

Brak 7 years, 5 months ago

Funniest thing about all of this, not a peep out of Wiscy fans but a lot of Notre Dame fans upset about what happened with Crist at ND and are not too happy about their current QB and was hoping Dayne would say. SUCK IT NOTRE DAME! Sorry never thought I would ever get to say that.

Aaron Carpenter 7 years, 5 months ago

Everyone is excited, and so am I but just wanted to throw out a "thank you" to Jordan Webb. I know his wins didn't pan out but the kid played hard every game, never quit and did the best he could with what he had. I'm sure he is sour but most of us, i believe, appreciate his hard work and contribution to the team. I wish him the best of luck wherever he goes.

Al Martin 7 years, 5 months ago

100% correct. There have been a lot of posters down on Jordan, but he was never put in a position to succeed. Who knows what he could have done in a better situation. I hope things work out for him, here or otherwise.

TKHAWK 7 years, 5 months ago

Great news for KU football! Now of course the focus shifts to Heap. That would really lock down KU's QB spot. On that note, we of course know this will end Webb's career as KU QB, does anyone know what the status on Berglun is? More specifically I'd be interested in knowing if any of our coaching staff has been in contact with him or rather coach has even made a statement as to rather he fits the future vision of KU football. Weis is not going to be impressed with hype, only in someone who can run his system. If anyone knows anything I'd be curious. It would also be another topic of KU football that KUSPORTS.COM should consider providing some coverage over. Been a long time since TK has written a Berglun article.

Ben Kane 7 years, 5 months ago

Now this is an awesome early christmas gift. Welcome to Jayhawk Nation young man!

ccarp 7 years, 5 months ago

Welcome, Dayne! So glad you are a jayhawk! Rock Chalk!

JayHok 7 years, 5 months ago

NBC board talking about why Weis likely will land Heaps too.

Chuggernaut says: Dec 22, 2011 12:59 PM @arizonapetdoctor:

I am not a Weis apologist but yeah, offensive guru is freeking right. Did you notice that he got that no talent Brady Quinn to break every passing record at ND then become a 1st round pick? He made Clausen into a 2nd round pick and a hell of a college QB. And then there is Matt Cassell who made his first Pro Bowl under Weiss last year. @ UF, Brantly got hurt early and so did his true freshman backup. So he had Brissett, who was also a Tfr as a 3rd stringer to rely on. Good luck with that.

The guy is one of the best offensive minds in all of football.

Ben Kane 7 years, 5 months ago

I do want to point out though that we will need an offensive line that can give him the time he needs in the pocket.

kujayhawk92 7 years, 5 months ago

First time posting here but the news coming out of Lawrence has me excited about KU football again! Was waiting to renew our season tickets for 2012 but with this news I have just renewed for 2012. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

shelleysue 7 years, 5 months ago

Welcome to Kansas! Looking forward to 2012 cheering on Jayhawk football. To Jordan I wish all the best whether he stays at Kansas or takes his career to another school. Great kid who played with a lot of heart and I for one appreciate everything he meant to KU. Merry Christmas and ROCK CHALK!

Ben Kane 7 years, 5 months ago

well said. he gave us everything he had and that is all anyone can ask for. regardless of what he chooses he will have my full support.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 5 months ago

Count me in on the support for Webb. He left his guts out there on the field and I will not forget that. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Jan Rolls 7 years, 5 months ago

We are going to be disappointed. This guy is injury prone and he is not that good. Also he has an attitude but at least charlie can hold his hand when he crys. Putting the season on this guy is a mistake. Big name does not mean he is good. What are we going to do if he gets hurt? Weiss should be recuiting a good QB that he can develop.

shelleysue 7 years, 5 months ago

That attitude, competitiveness, and something to prove could be a killer combination. You never know.

Al Martin 7 years, 5 months ago

So we shouldn't recruit a good guy because he might get injured? And who says Charlie isn't recruiting other QBs?

TheSportsDon 7 years, 5 months ago

Heck, Charlie is injury prone! lol On the QB front I know Weis visited the kid in McPherson who signed with TCU, just to make sure he was solid on TCU.

JayHok 7 years, 5 months ago

According to NBC Weis is in the front for Heaps, who will be eligible to play two full seasons after he learns Weis' system next year. As for Crist not fitting well with a four time super bowl champ who likes to throw.

kugrad93 7 years, 5 months ago

KU was able to land Bill Whitemmore out of Fort Scott because he had some injury issues. He also had some more injuries while at KU. I'd still take him again in a heart beart. Give the guy a chance.

Dan Pawlowski 7 years, 5 months ago

Yea Whitemmore had hart , some skills and was fun to watch.

Ron Prichard 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm already disappointed I read doggygump's post.

tical523 7 years, 5 months ago

Actually I read a report on rivals from a Notre Dame writer that Crist is a good guy, teammates love him and even organized some fundraiser event for cancer and a lot of teammates and fans followed. The writer really, really made it a point to say he would be missed by a lot of people and we are getting a quality kid. Some other post on here said they read that fans in South Bend are upset to see him leave with a year of eligibility.

Michael Thorp 7 years, 5 months ago

Great News! Can't wait till next season.

Joe Baker 7 years, 5 months ago

Easy reed, it's not official yet on Heaps. It appears and according to most though Heaps will come in sit out, Crist will start, grad and then Heaps will take over after Crist leaves.

I am stoked about KU football now more than ever. Crist will be a huge influence with Heaps. Crist will definitely know Weis' O. Heaps will learn under both Crist and Weis. It can't get any better for your QBs and your team.

Webb will need to stay to backup Crist. However, Pick can be pulled back to QB and we can replace that position if Webb decides to leave.

Rock Freakin' Jayhawk and Merry Christmas Jayhawk Nation. I just heard a strange noise down in Norman...oh wait, it's Stoops fearing the Weis-dom of KU's potential. Ha Ha, Stoops will be facing Weis in the B12. I'm luvin' it.

Jayhawker111 7 years, 5 months ago

Webb is gone..

Weis cut him the day after he arrived.

Pick will not move back to QB....

Joe Baker 7 years, 5 months ago

reed- They just confirmed that Heaps just committed.

OUTSTANDING

JayHok 7 years, 5 months ago

ESPN has this Crist story on their front football page. Heaps is now the big Weis story that's gone national.

Relatively local papers Topeka Capital Journal and KC Star not even reporting on the Crist story yet. Wiki even beat them to the punch.

RCJ Zenger!

Micah Mandy Haase 7 years, 5 months ago

JayhawkSlant JayhawkSlant Breaking: Jake Heaps has informed us he is headed to Kansas. What a day for quarterbacks, huh? bit.ly/skylAJ #kufball #jayhawks

Micah Mandy Haase 7 years, 5 months ago

I dont even know what to say now I can't even believe this... WOW

JayHok 7 years, 5 months ago

We want Weis!

We want Crist!

We want Heaps!

We want Grunhard!

We want Butler!

We want Dreiling!

We want Dieter!

We want that four star lineman soft-verbal Pinkel commit plucked away from Lee's Summit!

Cmon Grunhard!

Joe Baker 7 years, 5 months ago

Why not?

Dear Santa...Thank you for the early Christmas presents. Please complete our Christmas list.

We've been good, honest. Just check your list and check it twice, we've been very nice.

BabyJay2009 7 years, 5 months ago

Crist, now Heaps.... It's just the beginning... You all just wait and see what else Weis has up his sleeves!!

ltownatrain 7 years, 5 months ago

Come on Brice Butler, make today the greatest recruiting day in KU history....minus maybe the day they landed the Kansas Comet Gayle Sayers

Andrew Washington 7 years, 5 months ago

We got TWO five star QB's in one day?! ROCK CHALK

Joe Baker 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm speechless of having two (2), count em' two top ranked QBs.

Words are impossible to describe this recruiting phenomenon.

I'm pinching myself right now...It's real though and I'm loving it.

I do believe Zenger just defined his AD career with this one coaching hire.

I must admit and give SZ credit when it's due. Not only did he get Weis but the methodical way he acccomplished it was extremely professional and a credit to KU. Now Zenger's cards are all falling perfectly into place. He's being coy but I do believe SZ saw this play out pretty much to date. Take that LP and watch a real AD work.

ltownatrain 7 years, 5 months ago

I love how a few weeks ago everyone was dogging on SZ cause he wouldn't say anything and here we are today with a 4 time superbowl winner as coach and former #1 and #2 5 star QBs coming to KU. I hope this really does translate into something special but at least it gives KU fans reason to believe anything is possible!

Bob Forer 7 years, 5 months ago

Where are all the Zenger and Weis naysayers at the moment? I'm really really really curious to hear what you have to say now.

In terms of KU football signing days, this has got to be the biggest in KU history. Amazing, simply amazing.

We ain't there yet, but we've come a long way since Lew Perkins destroyed the program with his Mangino witchhunt, followed by his hiring of that other guy.... what's his name. Damn, my memory is bad.

ltownatrain 7 years, 5 months ago

Heck even aphers seems excited about this and he usually is dogging on all things KU football.

tom123kufan 7 years, 5 months ago

HOLY Crist! This is awesome! What a difference a month can make!

rgh 7 years, 5 months ago

I hope he pans out. He's injury prone and has had two major surgeries. KU's line better protect him or we'll need Jordan and be thankful he stayed. After all, he chose KU as well when recruited.

Jeffery Barrett 7 years, 5 months ago

Well, that pretty much seals it for Brock Berglund. Bye, Bye Brock. CU later......

RockChalk26 7 years, 5 months ago

And I would like to say, "Way to go Zenger!" Kansas football is making some noise.

TheSportsDon 7 years, 5 months ago

Biggest day in the history of KU football recruiting? Chime in!

Crist #10. Old Bobby Douglass number. Heaps #9. Nolan Cromwell number.

Loving it.

Jeffery Barrett 7 years, 5 months ago

Welcome to the program, Dayne AND Jake!!! Goodbye Jordan.

Jim Jackson 7 years, 5 months ago

Holy Shi*!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Jacobson 7 years, 5 months ago

Crist almight! We may have a quarterback!.

ltownatrain 7 years, 5 months ago

It just might be getting better....Posted on Brice Butlers Twitter account about 30 minutes ago:

USCnumber19 Brice Butler Who's goin to the bball game btonight vs Kansas!?

Of course KU is playing USC tonight.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 5 months ago

Okay, I know it's early but before the February (whatever day it is) deadline, would like to see where we stand in regard to our recruiting class. OMG, it sure is a good day to be a Jayhawk!!!!!

ltownatrain 7 years, 5 months ago

Well unfortunately transfers don't count toward recruiting class rankings.....however, hopefully these two names and possibly getting Brice Butler and a big name def coor. will sway some more top recruits our way.

Ervin O'Neal 7 years, 5 months ago

Hope Webb stays. Everything I have heard about him says he has lots of character and a stonp competitive drive.

It would be nice to have competition at QB next year versus hoping our one good QB doesn't get hurt. Who knows, maybe one of them moves over to wide receiver :) I seem to remember than turning out nicely before for everyone involved.

Bill Skeet 7 years, 5 months ago

Two 5-star QBs.

Time to reflect on what it means:

• KU will compete in the Big 12 next year. And the next... etc.
  • SZ was a great hire
  • CW was a great hire
  • This day will be remembered as as the beginning of an new era in KU FB.
  • It's now realistic to imagine a KU FB program that is on par with KU BB (thank you Bill Self).
  • Ticket sales are going to sail.. Who wouldn't like to find some in their stocking?
  • This site will get more traffic today than any previous December day.. probably the most since a certain Tuesday in April of 2008.
  • Jayhawks everywhere are feeling (and learning how to deal with) this off-the-charts excitement!

Oh... and we've probably not heard the end of the Crist-mas puns.

Mandie Eutsler 7 years, 5 months ago

Hallelujiah, Holy Sh*t...Where's the Tylenol...

Ron Prichard 7 years, 5 months ago

We're going to have the Hap, Hap, Happiest Christmas... Great Christmas Vacation reference.

Hank Cross 7 years, 5 months ago

KU a two sport school? Maybe the world really is going to end in a year.

Meanwhile, MU falls to complete irrelevance as it becomes the 3 am booty call for the SEC.

tical523 7 years, 5 months ago

HILARIOUS, just a "quick win" every time. I love it!!!!!!

Joseph Kuebel 7 years, 5 months ago

Bagged, Tagged, and sent back home feeling used...

Jason Renfrow 7 years, 5 months ago

I second that nomination!! Hilarious Post!!!

kellerman411 7 years, 5 months ago

Is it possible? Could this be a 1 year turn around? Do we actually have a shot to win 7 or 8 or 9 games next year? I'm getting dizzey, I need to lay down.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 5 months ago

Frankly all, I'm not sure I have ever posted on the Kansas football site after Thanksgiving in my life!!

These two transfers gaurantees Kansas a five star starting quarterback for at least the next three seasons.

1] Star quarterbacks attract star receivers. 2] Charlie Wies attracts star impact players [running backs, tight ends, etc.] 3] We need a defensive coordinator that will excite the other side. 4] Offensive lineman love the pro set because that's what they'll be groomed for in four years at the "Big Show". 5] The momentum is building...I'm sure there will be more excitement to come.

All you four and five stars out there......you come to Kansas you're going to get to play....a lot!!!!!

kellerman411 7 years, 5 months ago

We need to get on that Ohio State fall-out. Some of those kids gotta be looking at other teams!!!

texashawk10 7 years, 5 months ago

That would be Bradley McDougald's job to talk to those players.

Joseph Kuebel 7 years, 5 months ago

Ohhhh yeaaaa!!!! What a day to be a Jawhawk! Bruce Butler... You are next buddy! Come to Lawrence it is the best college town in the country- bar none!!!

Ethan Berger 7 years, 5 months ago

Brian Kelly was stupid with how he handled the qb situation. I watched that first game and Receivers were dropping balls left and right, running backs fumbling. Crist was actually playing well. Then he got benched for a qb who did even worst then him in the second half of the game.

Ethan Berger 7 years, 5 months ago

Your right coaches are perfect and fans have never been right.

jhawkbacker 7 years, 5 months ago

Hawk90, you're spot on. I watch nearly every Irish game (I live near South Bend and am married into a Fighting Irish family) and can say with certainty that there was a severe lack of chemistry and trust between Crist and Coach Kelly. I also thought it was handled very poorly and I expect Crist to have at least a very solid upcoming year if we're able to get a big WR or two.

Bruce Dial 7 years, 5 months ago

No kidding...fans around here only have to think of the names Grbac and Gannon to understand that.

Bill Skeet 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm sure these are anxious times for the Irish faithful. If the ND rejects are immediately successful next year at KU, it could be embarrassing.

That said, sometimes it's about the fit. Maybe these guys just weren't a good fit at ND.

(By the way-- let us know if there are others that don't "fit" the Green and Gold. So far, the 'unfit' Irish look pretty good in Crimson and Blue.)

gardenjay 7 years, 5 months ago

Well look - we're basically Notre Dame west now.

FYI, KU is all about second chances in life, and so fans of KU typically do not think we're picking up losers. We're picking up winners that had hard times for whatever reason.

The type of thinking that gives up on people goes on at small towns and elitist universities with no time for a learning process.

Notre Dame should lighten up, but it never will. That's OK; it works for some. A lot of people should move out of their small towns too, get a life instead of being told they're losers, but it doesn't happen enough.

deathtomizzou 7 years, 5 months ago

real talent. Really? why is he hunting for a school to whore himself out to for a year?

deathtomizzou 7 years, 5 months ago

KU fans are pathetic. Lets blame Jordan Webb for Kansas's sorry offense. Heck why we're at it lets blame his for the 600 pts the defense gave up too! I can't wait to see how quick you joke of fans turn on this one year wonder who is here because he couldn't produce at Notre Dame. Lets see how good Crist can stop a run, tackle or even catch a pass that he throws. I can't wait to see Kansas get rolled up on defense again this year. Kanas is what it is. A basketball school that wants to be a football school. I hope Jordan Webb has a good finish to his career and can't wait to see how long it takes KU to run Charlie out of town!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deathtomizzou 7 years, 5 months ago

Nice play. Neither one though. We'll see how it plays out. I'm betting the Fat man act 2 will be as suscessful here as he was at Notre Dame!!! What are we going to do to stop anyone from scoring? Crist playing linebacker too? Just asking?

DevilHawk 7 years, 5 months ago

We're going to bring an excellent DC and other good coaches.

Let's be honest: Shealy didn't have answers at any point this season.

55jayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Quit raging on Jordan Webb, he was the best we had and now there is a chance we will see more offense with the new quarterbacks. Maybe like Pick, he might be a good receiver or be used somewhere else. I thank him for doing the best he could do with is own abilities and the sometimes inept support he got from the line sometimes and epecially the defense. Remember, he did not call the plays, the coaches did. I still haven't heard is our quarterback from Colorado still on board and is he playing next year. I can't think of two better coaches than our new quarterbacks coming to KU that could help him and maybe adjust some of his self esteem.

Kevin Randell 7 years, 5 months ago

I agree! The kid had 10 other players on the field at the same time who missed blocks, dropped passes, etc. Yes, he did make mistakes, but he also had a run run run punt, and run run pass punt offensive script to work with. I truly wish the best for him and all the players.

DevilHawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Webb was recruited by Mangino and Mangino's staff - Ed Warinner in particular.

Hammertoe 7 years, 5 months ago

One player isn't going to turn around one of the worst teams in DI football. Might need a defense and offensive line too

jgrobb 7 years, 5 months ago

Agree. Weis had all these star recruits at ND and it didn't matter in the end, his teams sucked.....................

jgrobb 7 years, 5 months ago

Not really............ Iowa St, TCU, West Va, Tech, on and on... oh K-State... not much diff

BillSelf4Prez 7 years, 5 months ago

I know this has nothing to do with the story but for some reason on NCAA Football 12 our whole crowd is almost red with a little blue. Not sure why and our entrance on to the field is the bare minimum of all the schools. But hey at least they have the people on the hill now and the scenery.

BillSelf4Prez 7 years, 5 months ago

ok nevermind now in a new game it is mixed with red and blue and some white.

AnAverageJayhawkFan 7 years, 5 months ago

Someone pinch me! A 5 star recruit from Notre Dame is great,but another recruit as well. This could end up being the greatest recruiting day since we recruited Bobby Douglas and John Riggins

Spencer Goff 7 years, 5 months ago

Man, I gotta hand it to Chubs, in a short amount of time he is making some serious headway with this program.

Philip Nguyen 7 years, 5 months ago

Is this a first at KU, 2 5star players coming to KU at the same time? I hope this will mean more Ws for us.. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 5 months ago

Frankly, as a loyal Jayhawk fan I am embarrassed and appalled by some of the comments in regards to Webb.

By all account, he is an an exemplary student athlete. He has never been in trouble. has worked hard and has done every thing asked of him.

I seem to remember a similar young man by the name of Kerry Meir. He lost the QB job to the young gunslinger from Texas, but he never complained. Instead, he asked the coach how he could help the team and was told to switch to wide receiver and ,as they say, the rest is history. He went to become one of the better receivers at KU and one of the most liked players in the team. He is now making a living in the NFL. Maybe Webb can follow a similar path?

I would like to believe that the school that told HC Gill that they would honor his contract, would also honor the commitment they made to Jordan Webb. Anything short of that would be disappointing.

kellerman411 7 years, 5 months ago

Morally, I agree with you. The University ought to honor whatever commitment they made to Webb including whatever scholarship he is set to receive.

However, essentially what you are saying is, "come to KU, be our QB, give it your all and if that's not good enough, it's ok." You know what that is? It's a built-in excuse delivered on a silver platter. It strips the team of all accountability.

Da@mit these "kids" on full scholarship are getting a lot of money to do a job. That job is to go out on that field and PERFORM. By the way, last time I checked, 18 years old is the beginning of manhood. At least it was when they sent me to overseas to fight a war.

My point is, Jordan Webb is a grown man and it's safe to say that he has lived a pretty cushy college life so far as a divison I starting QB. If someone wants to get on here and say he didn't do his job, so what? Did he? When you perform badly at work, does your boss say anything to you? Well, make no mistake, Jordan Webb was at work when he was out on that field, and the performance measurables could have been better.

For the record, I never thought Jordan was our problem. I thought overall he made good decisions and played within himself. Beyond that, he is who is record says he is. As are the rest of us.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 5 months ago

I believe you misunderstood my post. I simply indicated that I did not agree with posters claiming that Webb should transfer to a different school since we have a better QB now. KU was aware of his capabilities and limitation when they offered him a full ride; he has performed, IMHO, to the level that was expected of him. Are you are saying that Webb, who was recruited as 3 star player, was given an extremely poor support cast, should have been expected to perform like a 5 start recruit or lose his scholarship? That is not the norm. There are some lower rated players that excel once in college, Reesing being a good example, but in general, players perform at the level at which they were recruited. This is why teams with the higher ranked recruits usually end up at the top of the rankings. If HC Gill, who performed well below expectations but otherwise lived up to the terms of his contract, will receive the remainder of the money due to him, no questions asked, it is only fair to assume that KU should treat Webb in the same manner.

jgrobb 7 years, 5 months ago

keller - 18 is still a kid......... Hell 25 is still a kid. How old are you?