Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Bill Self: After Davidson, KU is all-business on road

Kansas guard Travis Releford scrambles for a loose ball in the first half against Davidson on Monday, Dec. 19, 2011 at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

The day after a men’s basketball defeat tends to be a bit somber at Kansas University — a school that has suffered just nine losses over the last three seasons.

And so Tuesday’s charter flight to Los Angeles for Thursday’s 10 p.m. game against USC at Galen Center was not exactly all fun and games. The memory of Monday’s 80-74 loss to Davidson remained fresh on the Jayhawks’ minds as they headed west.

“I think this has been a very peaceful first two hours of the flight,” KU coach Bill Self said on his Tuesday night Hawk Talk radio show. He spoke during a refueling stop in Arizona.

“There’s not a lot of communicating going on, besides everybody trying to get caught up (on rest). We’ll have a nice dinner tonight, somewhere on the marina. Tomorrow we’ll get busy. We’ve got to get better starting tomorrow.”

Self said the Jayhawks, who traveled to L.A. a day early with the players out of class on semester break, will not have much free time on this pre-Christmas trip.

“I don’t think so. I was more in a festive mood prior to last night,” Self said on a Tuesday teleconference. “We might spend more time in film sessions or whatever while we are out there. I don’t think we’ll have much time for anything else.”

His Jayhawks take a 7-3 record into the USC game. The Trojans enter 5-7, but filled with momentum after blasting TCU, 83-59, on Monday.

“I’d like to see a lot of things,” Self said of improvement for Thursday. “To see us actually attempt to guard, to get in (defensive) stance, to win 70 percent of the 50/50 balls, to not give up layups, to have enough discipline to guard the entire clock and not break down. For us to not play tired, to have more energy and passion, to run our stuff and try to execute what we do instead of being out there on our own.”

He didn’t enjoy watching film of the Davidson game.

“I think we played a lot worse than what I initially thought,” he said. “That was meant to be somewhat of a joke. Our attention to detail is horrific. To think we could not do anything defensively to create anything and let them totally control tempo the second half ...”

He said he would not consider KU favorites to win the Big 12. “Not at all. I watched a team play last night that anybody in the league could have us. I do think we’ll have a good team, and I think we’ll have a good conference run. To think we’d be a favorite now ... we have a long ways to go to consider ourselves one of the best teams. I do think we have potential to get there.”

Comments

rockchalkchalkin23 2 years, 4 months ago

Ralster

I respect your position and do believe we are seeing from different angles. I agree with the early fouling in the championship, that was a great in game decision. An argument stands for nothing in a debate if the arguer can't defend it. I like debating and appreciate your "playing back at me." I can tell from your posts that you are just as strong willed as I am. I look forward to future debates with you.

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Further points: Yes, maybe Self is stubborn. Maybe any coach with his win% could/would be stubborn in his ways/methods. But Ive seen him be fairly flexible at times, other times very rigid. When to be either and if that was correct or not for the moment is truly pure food for thought for all us armchairQBs, isnt it? Whether its shelving the offense for a half since it was so horribly executed (2nd half Duke game) and just telling your lead guard to "drive it", or having the team just go play 5on5 "pick-up ball" because its an early preseason exhibition and none of the plays are installed yet (Canada 3yrs ago when Releford dropped 25 on some team). He has thrown junk zone, box&1, etc at times also--trying to react to the situation. He calls very quick timeouts in sharp contrast to Roy's practice. I think he tries pretty hard in-game to do what it takes to win. The early fouling in 08 (along with anti-Rose/CDR luck) pretty much got us to overtime against Memphis. Calming the guys down in the 2nd half vs. UNC was another huge coaching plus in a high-stakes game.

Me personally, I dont have the answer(s) about UNI other than quit trey-ing and hammer it inside, and stop the 3s from unathletic shooters. For VCU, it was Shaka's gameplan + our horrible 3 shooting + defense. So I wonder how well the VCU scouting report was followed by our team (& coach?). Again, they shot early and often, prior to our defense getting set, which was the changeup in possession tempo that caught us off guard. How do you guard that better? Get back on D faster?

Finally, if we had beat VCU, then lost later, it wouldnt have been such an "upset", and maybe the majority arent questioning Bill Self's tournament preparation (including himself...as he admittedly is doing now). VCU only signifies a trend because it adds to UNI--but I am very, very curious about Self's own thoughts about a proven/veteran team trying to stay loose in the tournament. We absolutely puckered vs. VCU.

This year is a different, basic problem: a short-handed, less talented team, but one with in-season potential to improve. We are still trying to learn to play together smoothly, run the offense smoothly, play D on ball & as a team. We are not the big, deep Morrishawks who literally were the best team in the nation last year. This year, we could lose to anybody, as Self said, and that happenned vs. Davidson.

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

rockchalkchalkin23, Have no beef with you. Here is what happenned. I saw the "accept responsibility" phrase, and it sounded similar to what a few others had said, so I reacted to what I think it is a simplistic concept that doesnt do analytical justice as to why we really lost to Davidson. Or Bucknell/Bradley/MichSt/UNI/VCU...What started out as taking exception at an over-simplification, turned into trying to give a "clue" to all those who may try to explain-away these losses by simplistically saying "he needs to accept responsibility"--there is simply more to getting better than that phrase. Its all the details ("clues") that a coach can give us in his perspective/analysis of the loss gamefilm, than just admit "my fault" (plus thats implied always anyway).

Here is why I dont like that phrase-->. Assume he gets on the microphone postgame and says "this loss is on me. I didnt have the guys ready to play"...my issue is that doesnt address the whole host of things that failed to create the loss. I dont just "move on" after a KU loss--I want a more analytical answer. Self is good at giving more details about it like what actually happened ("FTs, 3pt, 50/50 balls, defensive failures, turnovers"). So for Self to "admit responsibility", just doesnt do enough for me. Because by stating each category of failure, I feel better that it already has been "identified" (thus can be attacked/fixed sooner). Lets apply this to the UNI/VCU losses. Multi-area fails in both games. A real head-scratcher since we didnt see such a game all season, either season (except maybe @Tennessee walk-ons). So Self said he is analyzing tournament prep specifically in the 2day turnaround weekend games in the Madness. Good enough for me, as long as it actually gets fixed. We can lose to an equal team, sure, but no way we should have lost to UNI or VCU, since either team we would dust 4 out of 5 times. I want him to answer/fix any systemic/coaching/preparatory problem--and I want to hear about it (not just admit 'my bag').

Its almost like we are making a similar point, just with different angles? I want the "details" beyond some grovelly admission. I want it fixed. Only Self+the team can fix it. His main responsibility as the main man is already a given.

rockchalkchalkin23 2 years, 4 months ago

Ralster

You can beef with me if you want, that's your right. This board is for we Jayhawk fans to say what we want, given no infringement of the terms of use. I am not calling people idiots and morons, and I'm not posting senseless thoughts or arguments. That is no reference to your posts, as I can tell there is generally thought put into them.

REHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

ralster, I certainly can offer no argument to your thesis here regarding Bill Self and Naadir. I probably get down too often about our current starters at the 1 + 2 positions. It irks me to think that there is little that the bench can offer in the way of replacing either of those two even for short periods when they deserve time to rest or refocus. I watch that Marshall kid from N.C. firing those pinpoint passes, or the guard play of young Pressey and Denmon at Mizzou, and it aggravates me endlessly that our two guards can't deliver the ball with such dependable accuracy. We seem to have highlight action mentality, and me-first focus at those two positions...to the detriment of team flow. I have held out way too much hope that Naadir might inject new life into that same old situation, game in and out. Time for me to give it a rest. I know that rushing Tharpe goes against the grain of Self's essence. The kid has made too many mistakes on both ends of the court during the few minutes he has gotten to play, thusfar. Thanks for the courteous discourse. You are quite grounded and correct in your analysis of the situation. I have been way too chesty in my criticism of Self for not playing him.

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

To answer REhawks thought about Tharpe more directly: I like Naadir. Kid scored 15ppg as a senior in h.s. Ive seen him penetrate fearlessly and with Sherron-like speed. He shows good body balance finishing near the rim. He is fearless, which is more than I can say for some of KU's guards. He needs to take care of the ball, and show that well-publicized ability to distribute. Make those around him better, like RussRob did...and try not to make the other 4 players try to bail him out or cover for his mistakes. Hope he is very teachable. Currently no better defender than Conner Teahan.

Simply put, he doesnt play because he is a net-negative right now (in a close game). Self cannot take that chance in a close game. If the starters took care of business and got a 15pt lead, Self might insert Naadir in that less-stress scenario. But to throw him out there high chance of failing, and then suffer the inevitable butt-chewing, almost isnt fair, and I frankly appreciate Self's 'protecting' his young guard at this key time in his development. And really, out of the 55+ set plays in the KU offensive arsenal, how many does Naadir know? How many do the starters know? Answer: way, way less than the seasoned '08veterans.

REHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

The thing about this squad, so far it has not shown the killer instinct and determination to step on the throat of an opponent and stretch scoring numbers. So, Tharpe is not going to get an opening to play many minutes to work through his mistakes...unless we are up against a creampuff opponent incapable of pushing us into a loss even on a night when the game is fairly close. Another game will come and go tomorrow night on the coast with our starters averaging 28-31 minutes, and much of the same old same old will issue from the 1 and 2 positions. On nights when Teahan wields a hot hand, the Jayhawks can rack up and maintain a winning margin with the status quo. When he is cold, I'd like to see Tharpe get more minutes, regardless of pre-conference wins or losses. I am a guy inclined to see the hole of the doughnut. In the middle of the league season we are going to need immediate and dependable help at the guard position, and Tharpe will not be ready to help. I talked about this at length yesterday on the article involving Tyshawn's knee recovery, and couldn't seem to illicit much response. Have at me!

FarSideHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

We all knew from the start that this season we will lose a few games.

So why is everyone so surprised when we do?! We will win against teams we shouldn't; we will lose against teams we shouldn't; that's pretty much how it works.

Still hopeful of a strong finish in March.

Rock Chalk!

giglr 2 years, 4 months ago

"He spoke during a refueling stop in Arizona." Uhhh, what are they in that can't fly from Lawrence to LA?

lee3022 2 years, 4 months ago

"I don't think so. I was more in a festive mood prior to last night," Self said on a Tuesday teleconference. "We might spend more time in film sessions or whatever while we are out there. I don't think we'll have much time for anything else."

This is why coach Self is a top coach in the country. Lay and egg and he makes omelets. They are in sunny California in the dead of winter and will only see film study and basketball court. There are always consequences when you ignore detail with coach.

TexasHawk44 2 years, 4 months ago

God, there are so many idiots on this site. Anyone who thinks Self cnnot coach is a basketball moron. Or Mizzou grad. Oh wait that is redundant

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 4 months ago

we'll know a lot for the next four games. sweep, and we could have a decent year. right now, after the way we played vs. Davidson, we'll lose tomorrow night, and get beat at home by the kitties.

right now, KSU is right with us...no doubt about it. do they have better players? no. but they are PLAYING better. Yes, they struggled like mad to beat North Florida at home...but they've won at VaTech..and beat a good Alabama team at the Sprint Center. we have a decent win at home vs. Long Beach St...and a very good win at home vs. Ohio St...and a loss to Davidson. so i'd say we're even or right there.

we should actually win the next seven games....if we indeed are going to be a decent club, a chance to win in the tourney. after KSU, at OU, at TTech home to ISU...then Baylor comes calling. we SHOULD win them all before Baylor...right now, i'd say that's about a 40% chance.

we'll see how the next four go. a big story to tell.

losthawk 2 years, 4 months ago

This is just poor coaching 1st class.

phi4life940 2 years, 4 months ago

Twitter

Side Note: Tyshawn tweets 100000 times a day. Maybe he turns it over because his fingers get cramped from tweeting so much....

*joke...sort of.

cajayfan 2 years, 4 months ago

Sheesh, only the players screw up, not the million dollar coach. Grow a pair Self and try to look in the mirror. Maybe don't be so stubborn and try to fit square pegs into round holes. Try some zone defense when they are out of it, try pressing earlier. Tell EJ to drive now and then or he is on the bench. Study the other team's weakeness like the Davidson's coach did and develop a game plan. Earn your million dollar plus salary instead of putting it all on unpaid kids. Motivation is a part of coaching, right, not just screaming at them. Lots of luck tonight. Hope you don't do your usual great halftime coaching job.

losthawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Things have got to change and now.

wildjayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Just hope they win a couple more games then the football team did.

KPOP 2 years, 4 months ago

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. we could go on and on about team defense, trurnovers and the like, but, basketball is a very simple game if you make your shots and free throws. We will get beat this year when we can't hit our outside shots because we have no inside game (to speak of). Apparently we are not good enough to recognize a double team or triple team and then cut to the basket or spot up outside for jump shot. We have some serious problems with our talent level coming off the bench and we better get used to playing with 7-8 players. I trust HCBS will get this figured out and I believe we will be a better team by mid January. RCJHGKU

tical523 2 years, 4 months ago

I know talent and depth is in question but I believe this group of players can come together to be a tough team and make a run. We have seen flashes of great play, something just needs to click and some of these unexpected losses may do that, may wake us up and smell the coffee. Our starters need to do a better job of leading the group, when I watch I have no idea who the leader is vocally or emotionally, I did not see much passion on Monday and that sucks. It seems like EJ could/ wants to be a leader but he has to learn not to get so down on himself; all of our 'leaders' show too much frustration. We played terrible team ball, especially defensively, and I think Bill can light a fire under this group to play hard,play together and have fun!!

IrishCharlie 2 years, 4 months ago

With Mr Him Self, it's ALWAYS the players, NEVER the coaching.

trey 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree with the comments made about lack of defense. Certainly this team has mulitiple challenges, most notably...

Turnovers (especially from our senior pg, Point-Plankin). Average (at-best) to poor shooting team. Average (at-best) to poor passing team. No depth (our #6 and #7's are walk-ons).

All of the above are related, and suggest that we will not be a consistently good offensive team. Self said this before the season started, and it certainly looks to be true. There will be a few nights where we "make shots" and look OK, but we will not win many games based on offense. It is what it is, might get marginally better but that's it.

So for this team to have an OK year (Top3 in Big12, 20+ wins, 6 seed or better in NCAA), it primarily depends on defense. And especially defense from our 3 guards. Our interior defense can be good but not great. TRob will need to not foul. Withey can block shots, but exposed against quicker 5's. But our guards should have the physical skills to be outstanding perimeter defenders. They are all long, can slide their feet, and very athletic. But they are all also head-cases and/or suffer from severe ADD. In reverse order...

TRele - Has been the most consistent, and should have role as our "stopper".

Elijah - Pretty consistent, and when he's not pouting, seem to be able to totally keep his man in front of him, and strong enough to get thru ball-screens.

Point Plankin - Totally inconsistent, plays good defense for 20 seconds and then loses his man. Go look at the tape to see where most of the killer three's come from --- Point Plankin's man. And constantly does NOT get thru ball screens. More concerned about throwing up runners on offense. He's been the same player for four years. Yes he's tough, but continues to be incapable of staying focused.

I do think... if we learn to play defense as hard as Martin's K-State's team, we can be damn good.

beebe1 2 years, 4 months ago

jgkojak You are right -- Tharpe should get much more PT. Self coaches so hard to win every game. Sometimes I'd rather see him take the loss and develop our bench. His predecessor would get frustrated and put in a whole new team, till the 'starters' got so frustrated with their own performance they wanted back in, badly. I know many of you agree with a rotation of 7 or 8. I'd like yo see 10-12 getting more game experience. Cut back on your rotation in the tournament!

Brennan Keller 2 years, 4 months ago

Honestly, Self needs to keep this kind of attitude throughout the enitre season. This team is to immature to let slack off, especially in Big12 play. Self needs to make his players believe that "they need to play with a chip on their soldiers." Self needs to change this team's mental attitude.

Justin Carlson 2 years, 4 months ago

Well here comes an interesting up and down season!! I said seven losses but I may have to rethink my win loss total below is the schedule of all of the games and a look at the final season record, and I would interested to hear your thoughts.

Just a piece of advice to the coaching staff! 31 - 35 minutes for TT TR is way to many TR is not playing defense because he doesn't want to foul in the 1st half and in the 2nd he is gassed! TT needs a leash!! Self dont be scared of a loss in the next 3 noncons let tharpe and young play through more than 1 mistake!! Mark my words if TRob continues 30+ minutes a game and we struggle (ie .500 in league) TRob is on IR because he is trying to do everything for his team!

Here it is!! Towson = W 1 - 0 Kentucky = L 1 - 1 Georgetwn = W 2 - 1 UCLA = W 3 - 1 Duke = L 3 - 2 Florida A = W 4 - 2 USF = W 5 - 2 LB = W 6 - 2 Ohio ST = W 7 - 2 Davidson = L 7 - 3

USC = W 8 - 3 Howard = W 9 - 3 N Dakota = W 10 - 3 KSU = W 11 - 3 OU = W 12 - 3 TTU = W 13 - 3 ISU = W 14 - 3 Baylor = W 15 - 3 * scary Texas = L 15 - 4 T A&M = W 16 - 4 ISU = L 16 - 5 OU = W 17- 5 Mizery = L 17 - 6 Baylor - L 17 - 7 OSU - W 18 - 7 KSU - L 18 - 8 TTU - W 19 - 8 T A&M L 19 - 9 Mizery W 20 - 9 OSU W 21 - 9 * scary Texas W 22 - 9

Finish (12 - 6) 3rd in the league behind UHGG!! Baylor and Mizery

Win first game of Big12 tourney 23 -9, lose 2nd game to a team fighting for a tournament spot! Finish Regular/conference tourney season 23 - 10!

Go into the tourney as a 5 or 6 and play a small conference stud as a 11 or 12! Lose 23 - 11! get ready for October 2012 and hopefully a pt. with a bball IQ higher than 80!

Your thoughts!

jgkojak 2 years, 4 months ago

My only criticism of Self is Tharpe. He probably needs to be in games playing through his mistakes and getting confidence instead of Teahan. You don't need to play him against OSU or Duke, but in these games he really needs the experience.

You can't play him in March unless you play him now.

Also... I'd say I'd rather expose us now than in the 1st round.

tom123kufan 2 years, 4 months ago

It's a young inexperienced squad folks. Other programs with this issue would be 5-5 right now. The coaching and talent will keep us in most games this year. There will be more losses, but there will be a lot more wins as well. This is the type of team that could be dangerous come tournament time though. A team with a chip on its shoulder with nothing to lose.

karken1992 2 years, 4 months ago

Wow. Gotta love Self. Get the feeling that, good or bad, we are finally going to see what this team is really made of. If there is any bite in this dog I would be very concerned if I were USC.

SDSurferFan 2 years, 4 months ago

USC is not good, although they have a very quick and accurate shooting pt guard. I went to the SDSU v USC game. USC hung around to the end with a bunch of threes. They should have easily won by 10-15. Cal Poly beat USC this year and held them to under 40. I see KU winning by 25. 0 should dominate.

My favorite part of the game is seeing Self rip into his team. Please somebody PPV this...I'd pay top dollar to hear what he says.

FSUJHAWK 2 years, 4 months ago

HCBS is a master antagonist, psychologist and manipulator...one of the best in the business.

RCJHGKU!!!

Ben Kane 2 years, 4 months ago

3han was really disappointing to me last game. when he isn't hitting his shot his liability on D might just outweigh his worth. My biggest issue with him right now is how long it seems to take him to get his shot off. when we spend six-eight passes working the ball around to find 3han open in the corner and he allows the defender to get back to position before he can get his shot off then our offense has just wasted 10-12 seconds of the shot clock and has to start from scratch. to his credit he has worked very hard to be able to create off of the dribble (which would allow him to take advantage of the defender running over) but that move just isn't there against the level of competition we will see.

I'd really like to see Rele continue to be a bigger part of offense. not so much in the chucking treys up category (we have enough people to do that) but he can be so valuable as a slasher and offensive board crasher.

speaking of trey chuckers. I'm glad that EJ continued to do so even though he was having an off night. he is a pure shooter and needs to be the type of player to forget about bad shots the instant they don't go in.

If we are going to have a good run in the big12 we will need Young/Wesley to step up. My money is on Young.

ccarp 2 years, 4 months ago

I want what Coach Self is asking for Christmas:

"To see us actually attempt to guard, to get in (defensive) stance, to win 70 percent of the 50/50 balls, to not give up layups, to have enough discipline to guard the entire clock and not break down. For us to not play tired, to have more energy and passion, to run our stuff and try to execute what we do instead of being out there on our own.”

Particularly the 50/50s, I know floor burns aren't exactly fun, but get on the floor and grab that ball! Let's go Hawks, these are the intangibles that separate Kansas from other programs. Play with pride and intensity.

RCJGKU!

KansasComet 2 years, 4 months ago

It's not that bad...it's not that good either. This team can beat any team in the country. This team can lose to any team in the country. Turnovers are killing this team.

Bellator 2 years, 4 months ago

Any day now we'll hear about the the infamous "players only" meeting being held.

bjejayhawk69 2 years, 4 months ago

Defense is the reason for that loss. You can try to blame KU's poor shooting and Davidson hitting some difficult 3's (and some wide open ones as well) or blame turnovers but you win ugly games with consistent defense. There are many problems with KU's defense. First many of these guys are playing 30+ minutes cause the bench is so thin so fatigue plays a factor but when you give up 2 layups to a slow guard in the half court set within the first minute of the game that is unacceptable. Robinson at times simply doesn't even guard his man much less take part in any help defense. Some of that is fatigue the other part is I think he knows he can't into foul trouble and come off the floor. Also when KU plays teams with quicker big men that step out on the floor it pulls Withey away from the basket for help defense. Teahan is not Morningstar on defense and Taylor and Johnson think they are athletic enough that they can recover defensively when they aren't working hard enough initially. Guys off the bench don't realize how hard you have work defensively at this level.

All those issues combined leaves this team in its current state. The problem is it will be hard to remedy it because there is no one on the bench to push the starters to have to play bettter. Most of them aren't working hard enough either or athletically they are too chanllenged.

This will be Self's most challenging coaching year yet.

On the flip side he is getting some quality commitments. I think he has changed his recruiting and is not focusing on the top 10 kids who take way too much time and effort to recruit and drag their recruiting out to the last second plus have grade issues and will stay mabye 1 year and never contribute greatly to your program. Going and getting early commits from guys rated 20 to 80 pays off longer and better in the long run.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 4 months ago

The only games that we seem to really play well in at the Sprint Center are Big 12 tournament games. We've obviously won far more than we've lost there. But, my memories are of slow starting, less than intensive play on that floor during the regular season. I'm sure somebody out there will set me straight if my perceptions are not based from reality.

BTW, Happy Chanukah to those lighting their candles for those "eight crazy nights" as Adam Sandler sings!

HawkfromHays 2 years, 4 months ago

The funny thing is that if anyone said the kinds of things on this message board that Self said in the interview, they'd be harangued by all the sunshine-pumping idiots on here and be accused of being something other than a 'true' fan.

irish1hawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I wonder what our record is for the last two games before break during Coach Self's time at Kansas. It feels like several of these defeats have come right around Christmas break.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 4 months ago

So, I'm leaving LA for Wichita in about 3.5 hours. Got offered a ticket to the game, which I of course had to turn down. I could've seen it in person, but I'll probably end up watching it at Larry Bud's or something... What terrible timing for the Holiday Season to come around...

Roger Tobias 2 years, 4 months ago

Underpromise.

Overdeliver.

Don't live down to expectations.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Self knows he has a tired team. He knows leg fatigue drives down shooting percentage. They are getting there early to rest. They are watching films instead of practicing to rest.

This is a dangerous game for a young team.

Coming off a loss.

On the road.

Tyshawn just played 33 minutes on a blown tire.

A savvy opposing coach.

The only good news is shooting.

KU is do for a good night.

USC for a bad night.

Let's hope the streakers--EJ and CT--are on.

Michael Luby 2 years, 4 months ago

yeah, the whole team is in the dog house for this one.

Michael Luby 2 years, 4 months ago

yeah, the whole team is in the dog house for this one.

actorman 2 years, 4 months ago

That's one of my favorite things about Self, that he doesn't pull any punches and tells us what he really thinks.

syceda 2 years, 4 months ago

Better to get exposed now and fix it, keep the faith.