Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Bill Self: After Davidson, KU is all-business on road

Kansas guard Travis Releford scrambles for a loose ball in the first half against Davidson on Monday, Dec. 19, 2011 at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

The day after a men’s basketball defeat tends to be a bit somber at Kansas University — a school that has suffered just nine losses over the last three seasons.

And so Tuesday’s charter flight to Los Angeles for Thursday’s 10 p.m. game against USC at Galen Center was not exactly all fun and games. The memory of Monday’s 80-74 loss to Davidson remained fresh on the Jayhawks’ minds as they headed west.

“I think this has been a very peaceful first two hours of the flight,” KU coach Bill Self said on his Tuesday night Hawk Talk radio show. He spoke during a refueling stop in Arizona.

“There’s not a lot of communicating going on, besides everybody trying to get caught up (on rest). We’ll have a nice dinner tonight, somewhere on the marina. Tomorrow we’ll get busy. We’ve got to get better starting tomorrow.”

Self said the Jayhawks, who traveled to L.A. a day early with the players out of class on semester break, will not have much free time on this pre-Christmas trip.

“I don’t think so. I was more in a festive mood prior to last night,” Self said on a Tuesday teleconference. “We might spend more time in film sessions or whatever while we are out there. I don’t think we’ll have much time for anything else.”

His Jayhawks take a 7-3 record into the USC game. The Trojans enter 5-7, but filled with momentum after blasting TCU, 83-59, on Monday.

“I’d like to see a lot of things,” Self said of improvement for Thursday. “To see us actually attempt to guard, to get in (defensive) stance, to win 70 percent of the 50/50 balls, to not give up layups, to have enough discipline to guard the entire clock and not break down. For us to not play tired, to have more energy and passion, to run our stuff and try to execute what we do instead of being out there on our own.”

He didn’t enjoy watching film of the Davidson game.

“I think we played a lot worse than what I initially thought,” he said. “That was meant to be somewhat of a joke. Our attention to detail is horrific. To think we could not do anything defensively to create anything and let them totally control tempo the second half ...”

He said he would not consider KU favorites to win the Big 12. “Not at all. I watched a team play last night that anybody in the league could have us. I do think we’ll have a good team, and I think we’ll have a good conference run. To think we’d be a favorite now ... we have a long ways to go to consider ourselves one of the best teams. I do think we have potential to get there.”

Comments

omari1911 2 years, 7 months ago

Exactly my thought. What kind of bootleg operation ran that charter? They would've been better off booking tickets on Expedia.

JHawk74 2 years, 7 months ago

They are not chartering a cross country plane. It is feasible to think they would have to land and get more fuel. It is probably a 25 passenger plane and doesn't have fuel capacity to travel over 2000 miles.

syceda 2 years, 7 months ago

Better to get exposed now and fix it, keep the faith.

actorman 2 years, 7 months ago

That's one of my favorite things about Self, that he doesn't pull any punches and tells us what he really thinks.

phi4life940 2 years, 7 months ago

Basically, the opposite of Turner Gill. haha

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 7 months ago

True is, this just isn't a very good team. Double digits in the loss column is very possible and somewhere between 3-5 in the Big 12. Davidson should have been a tune-up...not a loss, especially not a loss that showed every weakness this team has. Play some ZONE, one that everyone can easily understand their assignments. It was not a 'trap' game as some have claimed. USC is a 2nd tier PAC 12 team..not Ohio State or this years 'Fine' Syracuse team. We should win out the rest of the non-conference games. Make it to the Big Dance And look forward to some much better teams in the near future.

Michael Luby 2 years, 7 months ago

yeah, the whole team is in the dog house for this one.

Michael Luby 2 years, 7 months ago

yeah, the whole team is in the dog house for this one.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Self knows he has a tired team. He knows leg fatigue drives down shooting percentage. They are getting there early to rest. They are watching films instead of practicing to rest.

This is a dangerous game for a young team.

Coming off a loss.

On the road.

Tyshawn just played 33 minutes on a blown tire.

A savvy opposing coach.

The only good news is shooting.

KU is do for a good night.

USC for a bad night.

Let's hope the streakers--EJ and CT--are on.

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm with you on that! I wouldn't have played TT, but he's a senior and won't being playing much more on American soil. So that's probably the reason.

AsadZ 2 years, 7 months ago

bate, I am trying to understand as to why did this team play so tired after a 9 day break? Legs should have been fresh?

Steve Kubler 2 years, 7 months ago

Finals week + Practice can be more fatiguing than games. Particularly on the mental side which could partially at least explain the lack of attention to detail HCBS mentions. However I would think that would hit both teams in a similar fashion.

oldalum 2 years, 7 months ago

Their practices would have been a bit irregular with players participating or not depending on whether they had a final that day. They were still involved with school even though classes were out for 9 days. Maybe that's why it didn't look like they were really playing together at any time during the whole game, and why their legs weren't in game shape.

jaybate 2 years, 7 months ago

Self is a practice fanatic this time of year. KU always loses a non con game in late December or first week of January to dead legs from practice. Remember the UTenn game.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 7 months ago

I'd like to see HCBS go to a zone although that's not his style. Throw in man-to-man just to keep USC on their feet. We need to stop the blown defensive assignments. 2-3 or 1-3-1 - even a box & 1 Whichever fits the team better. And Biek makes a valid point..Why risk Taylor if he's not 100%?

Roger Tobias 2 years, 7 months ago

Underpromise.

Overdeliver.

Don't live down to expectations.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 7 months ago

So, I'm leaving LA for Wichita in about 3.5 hours. Got offered a ticket to the game, which I of course had to turn down. I could've seen it in person, but I'll probably end up watching it at Larry Bud's or something... What terrible timing for the Holiday Season to come around...

funkitect 2 years, 7 months ago

ahh, kansas for the holidays. i did the same thing last year and got stuck there for an extra week because of the blizzard in nyc...

Ron Franklin 2 years, 7 months ago

"Wichita is a pretty good town, People are nice, and all around. Wichita ain't a bad place to be, But it's Wichita and it's killing me."

--Truckstop Honeymoon

Ron Franklin 2 years, 7 months ago

They do live in Lawrence--They are great great folks. New Orleans loss was Lawrence's gain on this one. The only band I know that brings their young to the show and let's em bang around on stuff back stage!

irish1hawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I wonder what our record is for the last two games before break during Coach Self's time at Kansas. It feels like several of these defeats have come right around Christmas break.

angusmcpherr 2 years, 7 months ago

Pretty good - 14-3 Losses to Nevada (1st season); Arizona (on the road in '08); and Davidson. Wins against Boston College, Georgia Tech, Temple, Michigan, Cal (twice), USC, among others.

KUbsee69 2 years, 7 months ago

Do you understand the origin of the word FAN? It roots from fanatic.

It's the coach's job to be critical. It's the FAN(atic)'s job to be ... well, FANATIC.

Steve Reigle 2 years, 7 months ago

Probably has to do with qualifications for saying those things.

tical523 2 years, 7 months ago

So you can only comment on subjects that you have actual experience in? Sports, politics, fashion, movies, music. . . .do you need to be qualified to critique or can you just state your opinion?

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 7 months ago

The only games that we seem to really play well in at the Sprint Center are Big 12 tournament games. We've obviously won far more than we've lost there. But, my memories are of slow starting, less than intensive play on that floor during the regular season. I'm sure somebody out there will set me straight if my perceptions are not based from reality.

BTW, Happy Chanukah to those lighting their candles for those "eight crazy nights" as Adam Sandler sings!

angusmcpherr 2 years, 7 months ago

Bill Self's record in KC while at KU: 20-4

8-3 regular season (Syracuse, UMass, Davidson) 10-1 Big 12 tourney (OSU) 2-0 NCAA tourney

AsadZ 2 years, 7 months ago

Didnt KU lose to baylor in Big 12 tourney, I believe 1st rnd, couple of yrs ago?

rockchalkchalkin23 2 years, 7 months ago

Yes, 2008/2009 squad. But angusmcpherr stats were referencing KC. This loss took place in OKC.

bjejayhawk69 2 years, 7 months ago

Defense is the reason for that loss. You can try to blame KU's poor shooting and Davidson hitting some difficult 3's (and some wide open ones as well) or blame turnovers but you win ugly games with consistent defense. There are many problems with KU's defense. First many of these guys are playing 30+ minutes cause the bench is so thin so fatigue plays a factor but when you give up 2 layups to a slow guard in the half court set within the first minute of the game that is unacceptable. Robinson at times simply doesn't even guard his man much less take part in any help defense. Some of that is fatigue the other part is I think he knows he can't into foul trouble and come off the floor. Also when KU plays teams with quicker big men that step out on the floor it pulls Withey away from the basket for help defense. Teahan is not Morningstar on defense and Taylor and Johnson think they are athletic enough that they can recover defensively when they aren't working hard enough initially. Guys off the bench don't realize how hard you have work defensively at this level.

All those issues combined leaves this team in its current state. The problem is it will be hard to remedy it because there is no one on the bench to push the starters to have to play bettter. Most of them aren't working hard enough either or athletically they are too chanllenged.

This will be Self's most challenging coaching year yet.

On the flip side he is getting some quality commitments. I think he has changed his recruiting and is not focusing on the top 10 kids who take way too much time and effort to recruit and drag their recruiting out to the last second plus have grade issues and will stay mabye 1 year and never contribute greatly to your program. Going and getting early commits from guys rated 20 to 80 pays off longer and better in the long run.

kayjku 2 years, 7 months ago

Especially atrocious perimeter defense...

Bellator 2 years, 7 months ago

Any day now we'll hear about the the infamous "players only" meeting being held.

KansasComet 2 years, 7 months ago

It's not that bad...it's not that good either. This team can beat any team in the country. This team can lose to any team in the country. Turnovers are killing this team.

ccarp 2 years, 7 months ago

I want what Coach Self is asking for Christmas:

"To see us actually attempt to guard, to get in (defensive) stance, to win 70 percent of the 50/50 balls, to not give up layups, to have enough discipline to guard the entire clock and not break down. For us to not play tired, to have more energy and passion, to run our stuff and try to execute what we do instead of being out there on our own.”

Particularly the 50/50s, I know floor burns aren't exactly fun, but get on the floor and grab that ball! Let's go Hawks, these are the intangibles that separate Kansas from other programs. Play with pride and intensity.

RCJGKU!

Ben Kane 2 years, 7 months ago

3han was really disappointing to me last game. when he isn't hitting his shot his liability on D might just outweigh his worth. My biggest issue with him right now is how long it seems to take him to get his shot off. when we spend six-eight passes working the ball around to find 3han open in the corner and he allows the defender to get back to position before he can get his shot off then our offense has just wasted 10-12 seconds of the shot clock and has to start from scratch. to his credit he has worked very hard to be able to create off of the dribble (which would allow him to take advantage of the defender running over) but that move just isn't there against the level of competition we will see.

I'd really like to see Rele continue to be a bigger part of offense. not so much in the chucking treys up category (we have enough people to do that) but he can be so valuable as a slasher and offensive board crasher.

speaking of trey chuckers. I'm glad that EJ continued to do so even though he was having an off night. he is a pure shooter and needs to be the type of player to forget about bad shots the instant they don't go in.

If we are going to have a good run in the big12 we will need Young/Wesley to step up. My money is on Young.

FSUJHAWK 2 years, 7 months ago

HCBS is a master antagonist, psychologist and manipulator...one of the best in the business.

RCJHGKU!!!

SDSurferFan 2 years, 7 months ago

USC is not good, although they have a very quick and accurate shooting pt guard. I went to the SDSU v USC game. USC hung around to the end with a bunch of threes. They should have easily won by 10-15. Cal Poly beat USC this year and held them to under 40. I see KU winning by 25. 0 should dominate.

My favorite part of the game is seeing Self rip into his team. Please somebody PPV this...I'd pay top dollar to hear what he says.

karken1992 2 years, 7 months ago

Wow. Gotta love Self. Get the feeling that, good or bad, we are finally going to see what this team is really made of. If there is any bite in this dog I would be very concerned if I were USC.

tom123kufan 2 years, 7 months ago

It's a young inexperienced squad folks. Other programs with this issue would be 5-5 right now. The coaching and talent will keep us in most games this year. There will be more losses, but there will be a lot more wins as well. This is the type of team that could be dangerous come tournament time though. A team with a chip on its shoulder with nothing to lose.

jgkojak 2 years, 7 months ago

My only criticism of Self is Tharpe. He probably needs to be in games playing through his mistakes and getting confidence instead of Teahan. You don't need to play him against OSU or Duke, but in these games he really needs the experience.

You can't play him in March unless you play him now.

Also... I'd say I'd rather expose us now than in the 1st round.

phi4life940 2 years, 7 months ago

Partially agree...

I've always been high on Tharpe since we recruited him, but I'm not sure he should be in yet in close games. You must remember, he turned the rock over quite a bit in the preseason games he played significant minutes in. I know he's just a freshman, but HCBS plays the players he feels practiced the best and give him the best chance to win. If we are up by 15 or 20, I'm sure you'll see Naadir, but until then, his minutes will be limited (barring an injury).

He'll mature a LOT between now and next year when he'll see significant minutes rotating in for EJ. With all that said, I do agree he needs more minutes than he is getting, but not at the expense of us losing.

Justin Carlson 2 years, 7 months ago

Well here comes an interesting up and down season!! I said seven losses but I may have to rethink my win loss total below is the schedule of all of the games and a look at the final season record, and I would interested to hear your thoughts.

Just a piece of advice to the coaching staff! 31 - 35 minutes for TT TR is way to many TR is not playing defense because he doesn't want to foul in the 1st half and in the 2nd he is gassed! TT needs a leash!! Self dont be scared of a loss in the next 3 noncons let tharpe and young play through more than 1 mistake!! Mark my words if TRob continues 30+ minutes a game and we struggle (ie .500 in league) TRob is on IR because he is trying to do everything for his team!

Here it is!! Towson = W 1 - 0 Kentucky = L 1 - 1 Georgetwn = W 2 - 1 UCLA = W 3 - 1 Duke = L 3 - 2 Florida A = W 4 - 2 USF = W 5 - 2 LB = W 6 - 2 Ohio ST = W 7 - 2 Davidson = L 7 - 3

USC = W 8 - 3 Howard = W 9 - 3 N Dakota = W 10 - 3 KSU = W 11 - 3 OU = W 12 - 3 TTU = W 13 - 3 ISU = W 14 - 3 Baylor = W 15 - 3 * scary Texas = L 15 - 4 T A&M = W 16 - 4 ISU = L 16 - 5 OU = W 17- 5 Mizery = L 17 - 6 Baylor - L 17 - 7 OSU - W 18 - 7 KSU - L 18 - 8 TTU - W 19 - 8 T A&M L 19 - 9 Mizery W 20 - 9 OSU W 21 - 9 * scary Texas W 22 - 9

Finish (12 - 6) 3rd in the league behind UHGG!! Baylor and Mizery

Win first game of Big12 tourney 23 -9, lose 2nd game to a team fighting for a tournament spot! Finish Regular/conference tourney season 23 - 10!

Go into the tourney as a 5 or 6 and play a small conference stud as a 11 or 12! Lose 23 - 11! get ready for October 2012 and hopefully a pt. with a bball IQ higher than 80!

Your thoughts!

dana2k 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't think we lose to Iowa State or Texas on the road. That goes double for A & M. I think we may upset Baylor or Missouri at their place, and they may upset us at our place. I think we go 15-3 in league and finish first or second, and get to the semis of the Big 12 tourney, and are a 3, 4 or 5 seed and make the Sweet 16, and call that successful since we had major issues with our recruited post players and are very thin in that position.

phi4life940 2 years, 7 months ago

Lose in the first round of the NCAA Tourney....negative.

I can reluctantly accept finishing behind Baylor and Miss....them, but I can't take losing in the first round after two years where we should have won the whole thing....I know it's a rebuilding year and the next few years look to be bright, but I can't imagine losing in round 1. HCBS will get it done, at LEAST in the first round....I hope.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

10-3 non-conference 9-0 conference home 5-4 conference road 2-1 B12Tourney 1-1 NCAA

27-8

Brennan Keller 2 years, 7 months ago

Honestly, Self needs to keep this kind of attitude throughout the enitre season. This team is to immature to let slack off, especially in Big12 play. Self needs to make his players believe that "they need to play with a chip on their soldiers." Self needs to change this team's mental attitude.

AsadZ 2 years, 7 months ago

I agree but I also believe that this is an area that is easier said than done for 18-21 yrs old kids.

beebe1 2 years, 7 months ago

jgkojak You are right -- Tharpe should get much more PT. Self coaches so hard to win every game. Sometimes I'd rather see him take the loss and develop our bench. His predecessor would get frustrated and put in a whole new team, till the 'starters' got so frustrated with their own performance they wanted back in, badly. I know many of you agree with a rotation of 7 or 8. I'd like yo see 10-12 getting more game experience. Cut back on your rotation in the tournament!

trey 2 years, 7 months ago

I agree with the comments made about lack of defense. Certainly this team has mulitiple challenges, most notably...

Turnovers (especially from our senior pg, Point-Plankin). Average (at-best) to poor shooting team. Average (at-best) to poor passing team. No depth (our #6 and #7's are walk-ons).

All of the above are related, and suggest that we will not be a consistently good offensive team. Self said this before the season started, and it certainly looks to be true. There will be a few nights where we "make shots" and look OK, but we will not win many games based on offense. It is what it is, might get marginally better but that's it.

So for this team to have an OK year (Top3 in Big12, 20+ wins, 6 seed or better in NCAA), it primarily depends on defense. And especially defense from our 3 guards. Our interior defense can be good but not great. TRob will need to not foul. Withey can block shots, but exposed against quicker 5's. But our guards should have the physical skills to be outstanding perimeter defenders. They are all long, can slide their feet, and very athletic. But they are all also head-cases and/or suffer from severe ADD. In reverse order...

TRele - Has been the most consistent, and should have role as our "stopper".

Elijah - Pretty consistent, and when he's not pouting, seem to be able to totally keep his man in front of him, and strong enough to get thru ball-screens.

Point Plankin - Totally inconsistent, plays good defense for 20 seconds and then loses his man. Go look at the tape to see where most of the killer three's come from --- Point Plankin's man. And constantly does NOT get thru ball screens. More concerned about throwing up runners on offense. He's been the same player for four years. Yes he's tough, but continues to be incapable of staying focused.

I do think... if we learn to play defense as hard as Martin's K-State's team, we can be damn good.

Justin Carlson 2 years, 7 months ago

+1 on the "point plankin" LOL as much as it pains me to say this can you imagine what psycho Franky would have done with "Point Plankin"

KuKain 2 years, 7 months ago

You sir.....are a moron. G'day.

rockchalkchalkin23 2 years, 7 months ago

KuKain, just curious as to how IrishCharlie is a moron?

rockchalkchalkin23 2 years, 7 months ago

I like you using my key words, let's me know you been reading my posts. My rebuttal down below means that one is not required for this one. I bluntly criticized Self, and apparently made your less-stress and soft environment a little rowdy.

tical523 2 years, 7 months ago

I know talent and depth is in question but I believe this group of players can come together to be a tough team and make a run. We have seen flashes of great play, something just needs to click and some of these unexpected losses may do that, may wake us up and smell the coffee. Our starters need to do a better job of leading the group, when I watch I have no idea who the leader is vocally or emotionally, I did not see much passion on Monday and that sucks. It seems like EJ could/ wants to be a leader but he has to learn not to get so down on himself; all of our 'leaders' show too much frustration. We played terrible team ball, especially defensively, and I think Bill can light a fire under this group to play hard,play together and have fun!!

KPOP 2 years, 7 months ago

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. we could go on and on about team defense, trurnovers and the like, but, basketball is a very simple game if you make your shots and free throws. We will get beat this year when we can't hit our outside shots because we have no inside game (to speak of). Apparently we are not good enough to recognize a double team or triple team and then cut to the basket or spot up outside for jump shot. We have some serious problems with our talent level coming off the bench and we better get used to playing with 7-8 players. I trust HCBS will get this figured out and I believe we will be a better team by mid January. RCJHGKU

tical523 2 years, 7 months ago

Team D and turnovers are no big deal? I don't know any coach that will agree to that, I actually think that if we had zero second half turnovers, like Davidson, we would have won.

wildjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Just hope they win a couple more games then the football team did.

cajayfan 2 years, 7 months ago

Sheesh, only the players screw up, not the million dollar coach. Grow a pair Self and try to look in the mirror. Maybe don't be so stubborn and try to fit square pegs into round holes. Try some zone defense when they are out of it, try pressing earlier. Tell EJ to drive now and then or he is on the bench. Study the other team's weakeness like the Davidson's coach did and develop a game plan. Earn your million dollar plus salary instead of putting it all on unpaid kids. Motivation is a part of coaching, right, not just screaming at them. Lots of luck tonight. Hope you don't do your usual great halftime coaching job.

KuKain 2 years, 7 months ago

Man, you clearly have all the answers. Why aren't you coaching a top tier basketball program?

rockchalkchalkin23 2 years, 7 months ago

That's a long discussion KuKain. Are you implying that people on top can't learn anything from people below them?

phi4life940 2 years, 7 months ago

Twitter

Side Note: Tyshawn tweets 100000 times a day. Maybe he turns it over because his fingers get cramped from tweeting so much....

*joke...sort of.

tical523 2 years, 7 months ago

All of the tweeting is probably not a big deal in itself (although Bill doesn't love it) but I do think that is says something, something about substance; it says something about focus and passion for team. I know social media and technology is crazy and makes it very simple, and therefore not a big deal, but I just don't get the need for constant twitter updates, actually seems kind of weird. This team does not seem to enjoy playing as a team yet and I put a lot of that on our senior leader, lead by example and work ethic not by tweeting,I thought this was going to be a different year for him. Like the great video clip of the year, "I don't want no kittie-cats, I want dogs!!!"

P.S. I get the "sort of". LOL

Phoghorn 2 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, it is such a shame that Coach Self did not get selected by Mizzou, so we could have had Quinn Snyder instead.

rockchalkchalkin23 2 years, 7 months ago

Seriously? mizry dictates who our coach at Kansas is? You're implying we eat the scraps that mizry leaves for us.

rockchalkchalkin23 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm aware of that ralster. That is not the point i'm arguing.

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 7 months ago

we'll know a lot for the next four games. sweep, and we could have a decent year. right now, after the way we played vs. Davidson, we'll lose tomorrow night, and get beat at home by the kitties.

right now, KSU is right with us...no doubt about it. do they have better players? no. but they are PLAYING better. Yes, they struggled like mad to beat North Florida at home...but they've won at VaTech..and beat a good Alabama team at the Sprint Center. we have a decent win at home vs. Long Beach St...and a very good win at home vs. Ohio St...and a loss to Davidson. so i'd say we're even or right there.

we should actually win the next seven games....if we indeed are going to be a decent club, a chance to win in the tourney. after KSU, at OU, at TTech home to ISU...then Baylor comes calling. we SHOULD win them all before Baylor...right now, i'd say that's about a 40% chance.

we'll see how the next four go. a big story to tell.

TexasHawk44 2 years, 7 months ago

God, there are so many idiots on this site. Anyone who thinks Self cnnot coach is a basketball moron. Or Mizzou grad. Oh wait that is redundant

rockchalkchalkin23 2 years, 7 months ago

So, criticism and a want for our coach to accept responsibility is saying he can't coach at all?

cajayfan 2 years, 7 months ago

Totally agree. Can't stand it when leaders, bosses or coaches don't take any of the blame.

cajayfan 2 years, 7 months ago

rockchalkchalkin23 2 years, 7 months ago

Ralster

"Where did you get hung up on this "accept responsibility" phrase?" Accepting responsibility is what any working person is required to do.

"What if some players 'capacity to learn' is clearly on display here?.......My point: players learning and execution will VARY."

You're exactly right. Therefore, a different approach must be taken with certain players. Also, in life, there are wants and needs. When you "lack depth", developing the depth you have is a need. There is no question Self's system works. However, because he is so successful people blindly defend things when the pattern is clear. As I've stated here:

It's not that I don't think Self is a good coach. However, the particular type of disappointment he brings is so similar to that of Roy's, and I'm not a fan of it. Both of them are great "season" coaches, due to their formulas. Both are also insecure and can't handle the combination of a better coach and a team they know could beat them. Mentally tough players and talent are what boosts their systems and gets them their success, not in game coaching. Roy was good while he was here, and Self has been great compared to him. With all things considered, there is a big difference between good and great. Self is a good coach with a great system.

Self would be a great coach if he wasn't stubborn and insecure, which are linking factors. His system is the best in my opinion. With that said, it's not perfect like he sees it. Adjustments are necessary to make in every game, especially when playing great coaches. They have no problem finding imperfections in any system and making adjustments, that's why they're great. Self nor Roy make these kind of adjustments, which leads to some bitter loses that don't have to be.

The same question applies to Self and Ty. How many times must this happen before you make a conscious effort to alter your method?

".........and he did say he is reviewed KU's tourney prep philosophies for possible improvement."

Possible improvement? Did Self take a different approach with Davidson Monday than he did with Bradley, Bucknell, UNI, VCU, and so on? You could argue your "higher-order-of-magnitude point" with 3pt shots taken and made, turnovers, FT's, etc., I will argue mine. The fact is, the common denominator is the coach.

" Said the same about recruiting philosophy this week!"

He took some bad beats on the trail, I have no beef with that. This current team has the tools to get the job done.

"Its about getting W's!"

I agree. Again, a "down" year with your depth, you must develop the little you have. That is, if you want production out of your bench. It doesn't make them any more confident or comfortable, they roll together, to yank them when they make a freshman mistake as a freshman. Yank the leash a little harder coach, he was actually trying to turn it over.

The beginning "Im not attacking you", and the end "Get a clue".

lee3022 2 years, 7 months ago

"I don't think so. I was more in a festive mood prior to last night," Self said on a Tuesday teleconference. "We might spend more time in film sessions or whatever while we are out there. I don't think we'll have much time for anything else."

This is why coach Self is a top coach in the country. Lay and egg and he makes omelets. They are in sunny California in the dead of winter and will only see film study and basketball court. There are always consequences when you ignore detail with coach.

giglr 2 years, 7 months ago

"He spoke during a refueling stop in Arizona." Uhhh, what are they in that can't fly from Lawrence to LA?

FarSideHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

We all knew from the start that this season we will lose a few games.

So why is everyone so surprised when we do?! We will win against teams we shouldn't; we will lose against teams we shouldn't; that's pretty much how it works.

Still hopeful of a strong finish in March.

Rock Chalk!

REHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

The thing about this squad, so far it has not shown the killer instinct and determination to step on the throat of an opponent and stretch scoring numbers. So, Tharpe is not going to get an opening to play many minutes to work through his mistakes...unless we are up against a creampuff opponent incapable of pushing us into a loss even on a night when the game is fairly close. Another game will come and go tomorrow night on the coast with our starters averaging 28-31 minutes, and much of the same old same old will issue from the 1 and 2 positions. On nights when Teahan wields a hot hand, the Jayhawks can rack up and maintain a winning margin with the status quo. When he is cold, I'd like to see Tharpe get more minutes, regardless of pre-conference wins or losses. I am a guy inclined to see the hole of the doughnut. In the middle of the league season we are going to need immediate and dependable help at the guard position, and Tharpe will not be ready to help. I talked about this at length yesterday on the article involving Tyshawn's knee recovery, and couldn't seem to illicit much response. Have at me!

REHawk 2 years, 7 months ago

ralster, I certainly can offer no argument to your thesis here regarding Bill Self and Naadir. I probably get down too often about our current starters at the 1 + 2 positions. It irks me to think that there is little that the bench can offer in the way of replacing either of those two even for short periods when they deserve time to rest or refocus. I watch that Marshall kid from N.C. firing those pinpoint passes, or the guard play of young Pressey and Denmon at Mizzou, and it aggravates me endlessly that our two guards can't deliver the ball with such dependable accuracy. We seem to have highlight action mentality, and me-first focus at those two positions...to the detriment of team flow. I have held out way too much hope that Naadir might inject new life into that same old situation, game in and out. Time for me to give it a rest. I know that rushing Tharpe goes against the grain of Self's essence. The kid has made too many mistakes on both ends of the court during the few minutes he has gotten to play, thusfar. Thanks for the courteous discourse. You are quite grounded and correct in your analysis of the situation. I have been way too chesty in my criticism of Self for not playing him.

rockchalkchalkin23 2 years, 7 months ago

Ralster

You can beef with me if you want, that's your right. This board is for we Jayhawk fans to say what we want, given no infringement of the terms of use. I am not calling people idiots and morons, and I'm not posting senseless thoughts or arguments. That is no reference to your posts, as I can tell there is generally thought put into them.

rockchalkchalkin23 2 years, 7 months ago

Ralster

I respect your position and do believe we are seeing from different angles. I agree with the early fouling in the championship, that was a great in game decision. An argument stands for nothing in a debate if the arguer can't defend it. I like debating and appreciate your "playing back at me." I can tell from your posts that you are just as strong willed as I am. I look forward to future debates with you.