Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Charlie Weis undergoes successful hip surgery

Newly appointed Kansas University head football coach Charlie Weis is introduced at halftime of KU's men's basketball game against Ohio State on Saturday, Dec. 10, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas football coach Charlie Weis had successful hip-replacement surgery Monday in Florida, KU announced on its Twitter account Monday night.

Weis will return to Kansas next week after the holidays.

Comments

rockchalknation 2 years, 3 months ago

Anybody have some information on Dayne Crist now that he has completed his 3 campus visits? Really want him to sign with us and jumpstart our recruiting class for this year.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Interesting that Crist is going to make his decision in the "dead" period, when coaches can't speak with him. If he were my son, and he asked me for my thoughts, I'd probably recommend taking the sure thing. Go to Wisconsin at the risk of not winning the job decisively in spring and then who knows what the fall shows?

That said, UW is solid as a rock.

gardenjay 2 years, 3 months ago

Looks like Crist has not made up his mind yet, and, oh my gosh, I'm going to cite a source:

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 3 months ago

Ahperlookslikeihavetoreportallnewsthatsfootballrelated

Looks like Crist is a Wisconsin lean unless the OC gets the Pitt job.

Jason Keller 2 years, 3 months ago

Charlie! I hope your feeling better and ready to go when the dead period is up because you have recruits to steal from Ohio State!!! Rest up and then let's go get em'!

JayHok 2 years, 3 months ago

First of all here's wishing Weis the best on a quick rehab. With a new metal hip, he's rehabbing today already if you can imagine it. That's one tough human and he deserves a lot of respect today no matter what colors he wears for the next five seasons.

Also I'm curious how this newspaper continues to allow mean spirited posts. Curious if a monitor is even looking at these posts. So I will post a link below to see if there's a monitor. This is a band's link that has nothing to do with football, surgery or Weis. I've seen this band in person before and they're pretty good.

hihawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Well, we can start following football as the basketball went to hell again with Self.

jgkojak 2 years, 3 months ago

HCCW injuries stem from a sideline hit he took several years ago - it messed up his knees and his hip and he is just now getting the final piece of that surgery done.

I'm also a little peeved at the fat remarks that have resurfaced- so let me get this straight...

1) Most coaches are former football players

2) Most football players are bigger dudes (see Grunhard) and

3) As young men they are encouraged to put on xtra weight and have habits to gorge/become bigger

4) so they're supposed to do all that, and then take it all off and remain thin like some hollywood actor?

5) You go into age 35+ with 100 extra pounds of muscle that turns into fat when you get a real (i.e. non pro athlete) job and can't work out 20 hrs a week, and see where you're at

Mangino_Maniac 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm guessing this has been asked before, but if so I missed the response (if there was one).... Why does this site wait until midnight to post all it's articles??

squawkhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Maybe one day CW will fully commit to KU and move his family here. Next we'll be reading about the root canal he has done in Florida followed by a vision test. Coaches can't coach when they aren't in town. Just sayin'.

bville_hawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Nice football article, LJW. Keep up the good work.

Displayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Actually Ardy, CW has already had gastric bypass surgery back when he was at Notre Dame. If I remember correctly, he didn't think it went as well as it should have and sued the doctor, but the doc was found not guilty. So go be an insensitive jerk somewhere else.

bradh 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm glad everything went all right and I wish you a speedy recovery coach.

BTW, we haven't announced a DC yet have we? I thought the coaching staff was supposed to be in place last week, so I'm hoping this means we're picking up someone at one of the bowls. I would guess that means we won't know about the DC until sometime after New Years.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

We wish you a speedy recovery Coach!

ardy682 2 years, 3 months ago

gardenjay 2 years, 3 months ago

Great news! Here's to hoping you're out of the hospital and into the fresh air already. Remember to use your assistants during recovery you go-getter you.