Originally published December 20, 2011 at 09:46a.m., updated December 20, 2011 at 10:18a.m.

Small forward Brannen Greene commits to KU basketball

Brannen Greene, a 6-7 junior small forward from Mary Persons High in Forsyth, Ga., on Tuesday orally committed to play basketball at Kansas.

Brannen Greene, a 6-7 junior small forward from Mary Persons High in Forsyth, Ga., on Tuesday orally committed to play basketball at Kansas University.

Greene, who is ranked No. 35 in the Class of 2013, chose KU over UConn, Louisville and Harvard. Memphis, Ohio State, Florida State and many others were in the mix.

Greene is averaging 24.5 points and 14.0 rebounds a game this season for 6-4 Mary Persons High. As a soph, he averaged 17.1 ppg.

He’s known as a scorer with deep range, who can also attack the basket.

“I just feel Kansas is a place I could excel not only athletically, but academically, socially. It’s a perfect environment,” Greene told the Journal-World on Tuesday morning. He and his family members made an unofficial visit to KU for the 2011 Late Night in the Phog.

“I am excited and relieved to consider myself a Jayhawk. I take a sense of pride in that. I will represent the university well. I look forward to it.”

Greene’s dad, Jeffrey, played college ball at Pittsburg State.

“We felt like Kansas offered the perfect environment for Brannen. He is a young, energetic, very talented, very smart kid with a 4.0 GPA, a very disciplined kid. We felt that environment fosters integrity and family and all the things we pride ourselves on,” Jeffrey told the Journal-World. "Coach (Bill) Self and his spirit and enthusiasm and excitement for my son was unquestioned. He believed in Brannen and was going to continue to enhance Brannen’s life toward success. I believe it to my core.”

There will be more on this story in Wednesday’s Journal-World and on KUsports.com.

Comments

Paul Brozik 8 years, 1 month ago

bradynsdad 8 years, 1 month ago

There is some good news on a day like today. Welcome aboard young man! We may not be as talented this year but looks like self is loading up for the next two years.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 1 month ago

We have four scholarships available in 2013, and two have now been filled (possibly 3 with Isaiah Lewis). We need a big man (julius randle?) and it will be a great class.

ironhead80 8 years, 1 month ago

WELCOME!!! Your the kind of young man we need at Kansas!

Bill Jacobson 8 years, 1 month ago

This is the kind of kid we need....smart, understanding of the responsibility he is undertaking and ready to play.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 1 month ago

Scouts has him listed at #22 overall. Not that it means anything. We are going to be loaded at the 3/4 positions. Kudos Coach!

richter3 8 years, 1 month ago

As much as this year's team has struggled, it's looking more and more like this will merely be a "thin" year. The next two recruiting classes will take KU back to being a regular in the top 5.

Damian Glaze 8 years, 1 month ago

Sad part about this year, is we have a potential KU Hall-of-Famer in T-Rob that may have to suffer through an 8-loss season that gets us a 5 or 6 seed and likely a loss in the Sweet 16 round. I'm still hoping we can find a way to gel and work us to be a top 15 type team but a few of his teammates are going to have to get rid of old habits real fast. Yes, excited about Brannen but feeling a little down for Thomas.

jayhawkerMD 8 years, 1 month ago

I pray for an 8 loss season... Could be double digits, easily.

Kye Clark 8 years, 1 month ago

Sweet! Didn't he have a buddy, a point guard maybe, that he had mentioned might join him wherever he ended up signing?

Scott Murphy 8 years, 1 month ago

Isaiah Lewis, there's already rumors that he will commit here soon. Hopefully Freeman and Mickey will follow not to long after.

bradynsdad 8 years, 1 month ago

Icthawk I remember reading something about that. Is he the one had a a highly rated friend who said they would most likely pick the same school?

Benjamin Simon 8 years, 1 month ago

the ESPNinsider reports quote greene as saying that he is trying to convince julius randle (#3 on espn 60) and chris walker (#5 on espn60) to come with him.

soapisurfriend 8 years, 1 month ago

EJ, Jeff, and Travis will all be graduating. But the scholarship space will always work itself out.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 1 month ago

He's buddies with Freeman, Lewis, and I believe Walker.

Kye Clark 8 years, 1 month ago

Thanks all. I'm sure it was Lewis I was thinking of. I know they had a section in one of the articles recently talking about Lewis, and either him or Tyler Ennis (who KU is in on and according to espnU recruiting has offered him a scholie) saying since they are both point guards (Lewis & Ennis) that they couldn't envision themselves at the same school.

And I did see on the espn recruiting page over on the side where they have their twitter stuff that Reggie Rankin tweets Lewis could possibly commit to Kansas on Monday.

Rock Chalk!

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 1 month ago

SG but a decent get... Really need a true PG.

tdscpa 8 years, 1 month ago

He doesn't need a point guard buddy. Between the 1st paragraph about him and this one, he already lost an inch. By 2013, he will be 5'6". He better start practicing to become a point guard.

Kye Clark 8 years, 1 month ago

Also the kid must be pretty smart to have Harvard in the mix (of course choosing KU is further proof of the kid's intelligence!)

flyingfinn 8 years, 1 month ago

Ya picked up on the Harvard right a way ....always good to have kids that are both mentally and physically sharp. Could use some of the mental sharpness on the court with our current team!!!!

packywacky88 8 years, 1 month ago

A little too brutal Finn......but you gotta like 4.0 and Harvard in the mix.

rockchalkchalkin23 8 years, 1 month ago

Got a nice chuckle out of that icthawkfan316.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 1 month ago

Man, I'm so disgusted at last night's performance, it's hard for me to get excited over this announcement and I've been waiting on this kid to commit for sometime now!

Awesome news and I'm glad you picked a day that has me totally down in the dumps. Let's get the ball rolling with Freeman, Walker, and Lewis and whomever else your buddies are and let's win back to back Championships in 2014 and 2015.

Frankamp, Peters, Ellis, Greene, White, Tharpe, Lucas.........................I can't wait to finally have some kids with some High Basketball IQ back in the program. Great News!

RockChalk26 8 years, 1 month ago

Or maybe he watched the game and thought, "Man, they could use a talent like myself."

JayDocMD 8 years, 1 month ago

Absolutely agree with the basketball IQ comment - this team certainly has talent but is missing guards with the court smarts of RussRob, Chalmers, Hinrich, Miles, etc. Was hoping we had that in Tharp - we'll see.

P.S. My greatest fear is looking more and more possible: Misssouri looks poised to actually put together a decent year and walk away from the Big 12 with title in hand.

angusmcpherr 8 years, 1 month ago

Didn't mizzery win the conference title in the final year of the Big 8? It would be mizzerable for them to win in their last year in the Big 12.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

Mizzou is a decent team and definitely deserves some recognition, but they still need to prove themselves. Their non-con has been an absolute joke. Strength of schedule is hovering around #300 at the moment....

Let them get to conference play before we make too big a judgment on how good they are.

EverRisingHawk 8 years, 1 month ago

+1 brotha. Can't wait for the final moments of the border war to unfold.

John Randall 8 years, 1 month ago

Baylor is also needing to prove themselves – hardly better than MU in their SOS.

Our nearest rival may also be our closest. Wildcats seem more cohesive and talented than the last couple years.

Would really love to see the Tigers go 0-4 this last year against Ks teams.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 1 month ago

No sh**!. I had to go watch by myself. I knew we were in trouble after the 1st TV timeout.

Glad to see some good news.

Mark Lindrud 8 years, 1 month ago

So, we have Ellis, Peters, Lucas, White and Adams coming in next year, in addition to McClemore and Traylor being eligible. The following year we have Greene and Frankamp. We may have not been hitting homeruns recently in recruiting, but it is safe to say Coach Self has righted the recruiting ship. The future looks bright!

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 1 month ago

I look at McClemore, Ellis, White, Frankamp and now Greene. 5 players w/NBA potential and a deep bench.

I agree.."The future looks bright!".

LAJayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

He may have had a rough inning, but he came back out of the dugout and has been crushin'em like it's batting practice.

JayhawkLifer 8 years, 1 month ago

Isaiah Lewis sure sounds like he wants to be a Jayhawk...from his blog:

I’ve watched Kansas play a lot and I think I can fit in to their style of play. I think [head] coach [Bill] Self plays my type of offense that I play now. His guards really dictate everything on offense and I think I fit into Kansas’ style of play better than anyone else. Playing for a guy like Coach Self, someone who’s probably going to be in the Hall of Fame, it would be great. The fans are crazy and it’s always going to be competitive basketball if you go to Kansas. I’m just more comfortable with Kansas.

You have pros after pros that come out from Kansas and it’s a crazy environment. Obviously my goal is to play at the next level and I think Kansas and the coaching staff and the facilities will get me ready for that. I’m still planning on doing things with [class of 2013 shooting guard] Brannen Greene and we have talked about who we like. He really likes Kansas right now and obviously I like Kansas so maybe that will work out for us.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 1 month ago

Nice find! Greene will play small forward and that will leave BMac, Frankamp, Tharpe, and Lewis to fill pg and sg. We also have Andrew White at sg/sf. Loaded backcourt anyone?

Ben Simonett 8 years, 1 month ago

6'3" pure PGs aren't easy to find!

I wouldn't mind signing him, but were running out of schollies to reload on bigs!

texashawk10 8 years, 1 month ago

2012-13 front court Wesley (Sr) Traylor (So) Lucas (So) Peters (So)

I also believe there is a decent chance that Perry Ellis will not be a one and done so if he were to stay for his sophomore year, that would give KU 5 bigs with 3 returning for the 2013-14 season which would make that class the one to restock bigs.

TXBBall55 8 years, 1 month ago

Nice piece and Lewis sounds like a good kid/player. How many spots will KU have? Are we talking a little "urged attrition" here? KU is very high on the list for some major players in 2013.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 1 month ago

An earlier story: From July so not as current.

I know it can be hard to make these decisions but I'll wait till he commits before getting excited.

gchawk 8 years, 1 month ago

This is fantastic news. Welcome aboard, Brannen, the next few years are really shaping up to be something special.

JHAWK34TRUTH 8 years, 1 month ago

Welcome aboard Mr. Green! Glad to have you on the team and looking forward to see you in crimson & blue.

Rock Chalk!

Matt Kenton 8 years, 1 month ago

When we don't have a stud at small forward (e.g., Brandon Rush) we have a major deficit. I'm sure you could say this about any team, but I feel like more so in the way we run our offense and really on defensive stops of another team's scoring 3 man. Energetic, can score from deep and attack the basket, and most importantly- SMART. This could make a big difference in the next few years!

TXBBall55 8 years, 1 month ago

Boom! Welcome to Jayhawk land young man!!!!

RCJH!!!!

Curtis Stutz 8 years, 1 month ago

Great news, enjoy the rest of your HS career Brennan, we'll be watching and anxiously waiting for your arrival in Lawrence, Rock Chalk!

PhogAdvisory 8 years, 1 month ago

Welcome to the Fieldhouse, Brannen! Now be sure to tell all your basketball buddies what a great decision you made, so they can make the same great decision, too. ;)

GabrielMichael 8 years, 1 month ago

He sure sounds like a super kid for the university and the basketball program... Welcome Mr. Greene! We really look forward to having you represent our university... AND KICK SOME TAIL ON THE COURT!

Robert Brock 8 years, 1 month ago

<p>Scout.com lists him as the Number 22 player for 2013 - the Number 6 SF. Good get...and an important early verbal.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 1 month ago

I really like the fact that the kid wasn't put off by Andrew White being in a year ahead of him .. White can play both the 2/3, seems like maybe more of a 3. This kid seems like a pure 3. This is the perfect type of recruit to snag. Hope he maintains the commitment through his signing date. Someone mentioned above that Self had righted the recruiting ship .. Lewis would be a great add, too, and keep that going in the right direction.

soapisurfriend 8 years, 1 month ago

Actually believe it or not, at 6'7, he really is more of a shooting guard. He might play more of the 3 spot at Kansas because of the way Self likes to play his guards, but at this stage, Greene is a 2. He has a pure stroke, and even plays point guard and brings the ball up the court on his high school team.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for the info .. I saw rivals and scout had him as more of small forward, but I've read some more, and see that he is considered by many a shooting guard as you pointed out. White much of the same. Nice to have guys that could handle the ball a bit if even if they are at the 3.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

Agree, Self will probably play him more at the 3. However, in Self's offense, that leaves a lot of room for an outside stroke as well as pulling down rebounds on the inside. A 6-7 kid that can handle the rock and shoot from the outside playing the 3 in Self's system....

Recipe for awesomeness.

Pbbut 8 years, 1 month ago

Here's a top ranked player with interest from Harvard as well! May I have some more, please?

Ben Simonett 8 years, 1 month ago

Talented Athlete: Check Good Academics: Check Highly Ranked: Check Commited Early: Check

Nothing to complain about here, this should be the type of recruit every scholarship goes to at a place like KU.

Whats Self going to do with Mclemore, Ellis, Greene, White, and Frankamp all slotted for PT at the 2/3?

The front court still needs some depth!

Kye Clark 8 years, 1 month ago

Well Ellis will play at the 4 a lot, especially with BMac, White, & Greene all available at the 3, so that solves a little of the front court depth. Peters, Tralor, Lucas. That's 4, and Self typically only rotates 3 guys in the post.

Ben Simonett 8 years, 1 month ago

Not a true center in the bunch.

With the exception of Ellis, all of them are 4 year projects that i wouldn't expect much production out of until jr/sr campaigns.

Theres going to have to be some 1-2 year guys coming in to fill the gap (I'm really hoping its Julius Randle!) and we're still chasing Parker

soapisurfriend 8 years, 1 month ago

Lucas is a pure center. Peters could play the 5. Plus, Self has just recently emerged as a leader for 2012 center, 6 foot 10 inch Tony Parker, although I have no idea where the scholly will come from outside of taking them from Wesley and Merv. Expect Chris Walker to join the front court in 2013 as well, so there will be plenty of length. Also, KU is in the mix for 6'10 center Nerlen Noel in 2013 who is a good friend of Walker's. Filling spots will not be a problem, just finding spots and scholarships for guys will be.

Kye Clark 8 years, 1 month ago

There's not a Jeff Withey or Cole Aldrich in there, but who says we need one? In 2008 we started two power forwards and won the NC. We did just fine in the post without a true center in the rotation last year (Withey was not a major contributor). In truth, I prefer having two athletic 4s as opposed to a "true" center.

I think you may be wrong about Peters being a 4 year project. Low ranking, but we all know that's based almost solely on the AAU circuit, which he skipped to concentrate on football. Also, Withey will be back next year to bridge the gap. Traylor is practicing now so he'll be a little ahead of schedule.

I wouldn't mind getting Randle or Parker, but without them I think we'll be fine.

Ben Simonett 8 years, 1 month ago

Don't discount the contributions Sasha Kaun made to that '08 team.

He was strategically started by Self in many games against teams that had strong pure centers that were difficult match ups for Darrell and DJack.

We are going to need a legitimate 7 footer IMO

Kye Clark 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm not discounting Sasha at all. He was a valuable contributor to that team. But I don't remember him starting much, especially once conference play started. He came off the bench in every game of the Big 12 & NCAA tournament.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 1 month ago

Right, we just need a 4 and 4a ... Arthur and Jackson were both 4s. I'd prefer that, actually.

jaybate 8 years, 1 month ago

Self is starting to show how good he really is at recruiting, now that Manginogate, scalpingate, lewgate, buuba botch, and realignmentgate 1 & 2 are receding.

Now, if BGL and Zenger don't drop anymore balls, Self is starting to roll.

Look out!

We have one motivated Okie on our hands.

No other coach in America could have kept the cupboard even this full through vast bureaucratically induced shizz storm.

Self is an absolute man.

Tyshawn Taylor is an absolute man. 33 minutes a week after surgery. Green team.

Thomas Robinson is an absolute man. Family decimated. Bad knee. Bad elbow.

This team is going to move forward and become increasingly dangerous.

There are studs leading the pack.

Rock chalk.

yates33333 8 years, 1 month ago

After last night, this new recruit and JB's optimism hit the spot. I feel better already. Or at least until the next flop which I hope is before Big 12 (or whatever it is) play begins.

EverRisingHawk 8 years, 1 month ago

I always enjoy your posts, but this one especially. Very insightful, perceptive, very apt - in my opinion, that is.

EverRisingHawk 8 years, 1 month ago

I enjoy listening to someone with something positive to say about the current team. Few and far betweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen. Sorry, my E key is sticky... BOOM.

Dyrk Dugan 8 years, 1 month ago

welcome Mr. Greene! thanks for committing to the Jayhawks...you'll have some fun.

your first year here, we're going to be pretty darn good, so enjoy the ride....play hard, and listen to Coach Self. Go Jayhawks!

Josh Galler 8 years, 1 month ago

He is only 16 or 17 now, he can easily grow another 2-3 inches before he gets here in 2 years. when I was 16 I was 5'8" and when I was 18 I got to 5'11" He can play 4 too if he grows more as well as a pinch

Ethan Berger 8 years, 1 month ago

Great Pick up. Rivals have him at a 4 but ESPN and Scout have him as a 5. If we could grab randle or walker for 2013, that will be a very very good class.

master16 8 years, 1 month ago

great news. just as happy to see that he has a 4.0 gpa. he will represent KU will. let's hope he can convince some of his friends to come to KU as well

Gregor Southard 8 years, 1 month ago

But wait a second, I thought Self was a terrible recruiter and a bad coach? Could it be many of the posters here could be wrong?

TXBBall55 8 years, 1 month ago

No, it just means HCBS is finally getting a little wood on the ball after a long and painful slump.

treed14ku 8 years, 1 month ago

HAHAHA TXBBall55, you are the same troll who comes on here whenever KU gets a recruit that isn't ranked in the top 100 and rants about how Self has lost his recruiting skills and is settling on weak recruits. Just admit that you are a Mizzou,KSU,Texas,Baylor,etc. fan. B/c the KU fan schtick is clearly not true. You would be happy today otherwise.

TXBBall55 8 years, 1 month ago

Grew up in Lawrence. Went to LHS. Went to and finished at KU. I've attended many many games in person (including final fours). I just live in Dallas now (hence the TX...). Huge KU fan, I'm just not going to sugar-coat the recent recruiting failures.

This is a HUGE win and needs to be recognized as such. You obviously didn't ready my comment up top. I was one of the first to comment buddy.

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 1 month ago

Long and painful slump? Two years in a row, he got what at least one service called the best player in the country. Had the Morris twins not left a year early, this team would be way better and we'd be all about reloading and not rebuilding. This stuff happens, check the slumps at UNC, Duke and Kentucky in the last 15-20 years, that will make you feel better about the current state of affairs.

TXBBall55 8 years, 1 month ago

I agree 100% rock, "slumps happen". No team is a top 5 team in perpetuity. Doesn't mean I have to like it do I?

Brak 8 years, 1 month ago

Of course not but it also doesn't mean you have to whine about it everytime either.

TXBBall55 8 years, 1 month ago

Sorry, when my school goes 1 for 12 in recruiting (among top players) and gets beat by Davidson, I'm going to whine. Sorry.

yates33333 8 years, 1 month ago

Don't be sorry, whining has become respectable in modern day America. Ha, Ha, Ha. What B.S. all of this is. Who was it who said: Tibi ipsi dic verum.

Ben Simonett 8 years, 1 month ago

Hypothetical '13-'14 backcourt:

6'8" Ellis - 3/4 6'7" White - 2/3 6'7" Greene - 2/3 6'5" Mclemore - 2 (6'3" Lewis - 1)

that'd be one of the longest back courts i've ever seen on a college basketball team, that NBA size right there!

JHAWK34TRUTH 8 years, 1 month ago

I agree, I haven't seen us having a backcourt with this size before. I think selfs team usually run with 2 guards..

JHAWK34TRUTH 8 years, 1 month ago

A pg and combo guard at the 1 and 2. We haven't had a pure tall sg before

jaybate 8 years, 1 month ago

bennybob,

You are right to point this out.

Self has been trying to get long for a couple years now.

But it takes awhile turn battle ships, semis and recruiting around.

Cal beat him to a long team with this seasons bunch of UK one year wonders, but look out Cal, because Bill is stocking the cupboard with long 2-3 year wonders.

Yeeeeee haaaaaawwwww!

Go Bill Go!

Kye Clark 8 years, 1 month ago

I think the most pressing need now is to bring in a PG. The jury is still out on Tharpe, but on a team this thin the fact that he barely sniffs the court is concerning, even as a freshman. Not sure if Rio Adams is the answer either. Maybe, maybe not. Next year I think we start EJ at the point regardless, which would give Tharpe another year to work on whatever is deficient before being handed the reigns, or it gives Adams a year to either study the game in a back-up role or to sit out if he is deemed ineligible. Regardless, the uncertainty of the position begs for a bona fide recruit to come in and have the job his to lose. So...Isaiah Lewis, come on down!

Jack Wilson 8 years, 1 month ago

Nino Jackson would be the perfect solution .. if he could qualify.

It is concerning on Tharpe, and I think you've identified a major need if Tharpe is not up to the task. But then again, Tharpe is a freshman. And some patience there is in order. We have Frankamp in 201-14, and if Lewis signs, there are two that can play the point .. albeit freshmen in 2013-14.

I would say point guard and the 4/5 spot. I'm definitely not sold on the Peters/Lucas/Traylor/Wesley group -- I know some see it differently, but I really don't see Wesley as being a realistic option. To your point on Tharpe .. if Wesley can only manage 9 minutes vs. Davidson on this "thin" team, that about says it all - and he's a redshirt Sophomore, not a freshman. Self's offense has been so based on feeding the post .. that works well if you have competent post players. Would like to have another option there in the 2012 class.

How about a Nino Jackson that qualifies, and Tony Parker? I'm sure there would be a way to make the scholarships "available." Pipe dream on both though, unfortunately.

Robert Brock 8 years, 1 month ago

Nino Jackson? You have got to be joking! He is still ineligible to play for Ardmore High. Move on...

Vernon Riggs 8 years, 1 month ago

I heard that Nino is going to wait a year and be reclassified to 2013.

Kye Clark 8 years, 1 month ago

HEM - Just seems like Nino has fallen off the radar. You're right, he would be the perfect solution. I'll gladly take Lewis though. Not sure if Frankamp has the skill set required to play the point at this level.

As far as the situation in the post, I'm somewhat skeptical. Everyone keeps discounting Ellis, but I just don't see him playing a lot of minutes at the 3. Marcus was in the same mold, that hybrid 3/4, and rarely saw time there. So I think you pencil in Ellis for the post, and you got one of the three needed. So the question is will 2 out of 3 from the Lucas/Traylor/Peters group pan out? Maybe. Adding another can't miss prospect sure wouldn't hurt.

I'm right there with you on Wesley. You and I were both commenting on him a couple of days ago, and I think we were in agreement that this year is his lone shot to contribute, and so far results have been mixed at best.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 1 month ago

You're right on Ellis. He'll probably play the 4 .. but if Releford can't find a way to even attempt to get the ball in the hoop (3 shots), you never know. But the 4 spot appears to be open for next season.

With three guys -- Lucas/Traylor/Peters -- we need one to surprise and be productive from the start. Relying on a freshman at the 4 (Ellis) with these guys behind them Ellis and Withey, it could be a bit precarious next season.

Kye Clark 8 years, 1 month ago

HEM - Plus the 3 looks like a crowded field. Travis, White, & BMac all available to play there as well.

Assuming TRob leaves after this year, it will be a very different type of squad. With Withey & a bunch of freshmen in the post, it will be the first time since...I can't remember when that we don't have a reliable scoring threat in the post. Don't get me wrong, Withey has surpassed my expectations of him this year and could be better next year, and one of the freshman may surprise and become a legit, night-in night-out option. But just looking at it, there's no anchor. No Lafrentz, Collison, Simien, Shady, Cole, Morris, or TRob. But I kind of like the way next year is unfolding. I like the start of the season seeing lots of new incoming talent, and I can handle the losses a little more under those circumstances. One of the reasons this season has been a little more irritating has been because it's not a rebuilding year. You don't rebuild with guys that have been in the program for 3 years or more. To me this year is a bridge year, connecting the past few seasons where the roster has been full with talent to next season when we really begin to rebuild.

Ben Simonett 8 years, 1 month ago

"Assuming TRob leaves after this year, it will be a very different type of squad"

Interesting point, If everything on the recruiting front were to end right now, the '12-'13 version of the Hawks would be the first one we've seen where Self would be forced to coach outside his comfort zone and generate the majority of his offense from his back court.

Tha'd be intriguing to watch.

tical523 8 years, 1 month ago

ICT -- Frankenkamp is rated 51 overall in rivals, so prob top 7 or so PG, why don't you think he has the skill set for this level?

Kye Clark 8 years, 1 month ago

Watching him play he seems to project as more of a shooting guard (based on his game, not his height), which is actually what he seems to play more of. Teams here are able to do things to keep the ball out of his hands, which you wouldn't expect if he was a true point guard. When he does have it, he usually shoots jump shots, rarely driving the lane either to score for himself or create for others.

I'm not saying he can't play at this level, just don't think he's got the ball handling skills to excel at the point.

Kye Clark 8 years, 1 month ago

Yeah like I said I expect EJ to be the starting PG next year. Just thinking down the line a bit, since we'll only have him for the one more year. My concern for needing to address the position doesn't necessarily mean we need to bring one in next year, but since we're all talking about Greene and Frankamp thought we could project it 2 years out. Two years down the line EJ won't be here. We'll have Tharpe, and I'm not giving up on him, but the concern is there with him not able to grab any meaningful minutes on this extremely thin team. I mean, the default coming into this year, one would think, would be Tyshawn + Tharpe. So if next year it's EJ + Tharpe, what are we to expect? Rio Adams is a combo guard who could play the point, but his scholarship offer is contingent on him qualifying, and that alone makes him a risky bet to pin our hopes on. And I have my doubts about Frankamp's ability to run the point. He might. I haven't seen him play since last year (I cover a high school team for a local paper outside the Wichita City League so I don't get to see his games), and didn't see him play any in AAU ball, so maybe he's developed since last I saw him. So all that being said, I'd love it if we landed a blue-chip PG.

Joe Ross 8 years, 1 month ago

Mario Chalmers was a point guard. Very hard to make a case that RR was better than 'Rio.

Kye Clark 8 years, 1 month ago

He wasn't a point guard very long at KU. After a horrible showing in the Maui Invitational his freshman year Self switched him to the 2 guard and let RussRob run the point.

You could make a case for Collins, but not Mario. Not at the 1

vreddy23 8 years, 1 month ago

Great influx of talent in the upcoming years. Very excited to see how their teams shape up.

Sandeep Kalburgie 8 years, 1 month ago

Now go get Cameron Ridley!!! He may be wavering on his Texas commitment.

Ludwig Supraphonic 8 years, 1 month ago

Watched UT vs. Temple. Terrible spacing and awful shot selection. Great talent but UT looks like a pick-up team. Ridley, learn the game at KU from professionals.

Phoggin_Loud 8 years, 1 month ago

Now if Coach Weis could land Dayne Crist and Jake Heaps, our QB situation would be locked up as well for the next few years.

Did you know? Dayne Crist's middle name is Lawrence. He belongs in L-town.

RockChalk26 8 years, 1 month ago

Did you know this is a Kansas basketball recruit article?

Phoggin_Loud 8 years, 1 month ago

The reality is that KU's football team is also awaiting some pretty big recruiting news.

Seems pretty relevant to me.

RockChalk26 8 years, 1 month ago

You are right. But you are doing it in the wrong space.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 1 month ago

Would be nice..also putting this w/the other the football comments would be nice.

Lance Hobson 8 years, 1 month ago

Great shooter, great student, and Pitt State ties to boot!! Brannen, tell you dad congrats for the big win for the gorillas on Saturday. Welcome to the greatest basketball place in the world!!

frompekka2sasha 8 years, 1 month ago

I know that there is a lot of Jayhawk knowledge on here so I pose this question. Has Bill Self ever landed a KU recruit from the state of Georgia?

Very excited that another commit is coming very soon.

frompekka2sasha 8 years, 1 month ago

Thanks. I was pretty excited "dreaming" that their could become a pipeline to that area someday.

Mike Kendall 8 years, 1 month ago

frompekka2sasha---

Following the Jayhawks for a long time and I can not remember a recruit from the state of Georgia. Somebody mentioned Darren Hancock and I think he was from Georgia, but, no one who was out of high school.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 1 month ago

Three really good High Schools in GA for BB recruiting..Milton (Alpharetta), Miller Grove (Decatur), and Mary Persons (Forsyth). Would be nice to make some inroads there.

Vernon Riggs 8 years ago

I think Hancock was recruited from one of the KS JuCo.

Eric Bernauer 8 years, 1 month ago

Wow, two recruits who sport 4.0 GPAs. Often times walkons are depended on to bring the team GPA up. I hope our walkons don't hurt us in the future GPA composite.

actorman 8 years, 1 month ago

How great is it to get someone who's not only ranked highly but also obviously won't have character issues? And I love that he mentioned the academics as well as the basketball program, especially when he was also considering Harvard.

Martin Rosenblum 8 years, 1 month ago

As I recall, Selby and his mom made similar comments. Let's just hope he can play ball and doesn't get in trouble.

treed14ku 8 years, 1 month ago

And when did Selby get into academic trouble? Just another irrational over the top Selby hater.

Martin Rosenblum 8 years, 1 month ago

My point: just don't fall for the comments regarding academic emphasis being in any way equal to athletic emphasis from any players. We've had a few players earning degrees in areas that prepare them for non-basketball related careers post-graduation. But few and far between have ended up matriculating into those areas. Also, Selby didn't have too much time to develop academic trouble at KU during his short time as a student-athlete.

Martin Rosenblum 8 years, 1 month ago

Respect to you Ralster. I just can't get the image of a gum-chewing, smirk on his face, too-cool-for-school demeanored Selby out of my head. He never seemed to interact with the team as "one of them". True, he was faced with issues from the suspension and injury, but, it was a swagger thing that I was not comfortable with.

Bob Forer 8 years, 1 month ago

This is a great recruit. Top 50, 4.0 GPA and an offer from Harvard. A kid like him usually ends up at Duke. Wonder why Coach K didn't recruit him?

Can't say enough about this signing. Young men like Mr. Greene tend to stay four years, graduate with distinction, and maintain strong contacts with their alma mater.
Morever, super intelligent players tend to be easier to coach. Great News!

EverRisingHawk 8 years, 1 month ago

Sounds like a great kid with a reputation for many kinds of success. Welcome Brannen, I look forward to watching you throw it down.

jayhawkerMD 8 years, 1 month ago

Get this kid signed up for KU Honors Program!

Bangkok_Jayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

Tharp, Adams, McLemore, Green, Frankamp, Lucas, Peters, Ellis, Traylor, White...

A lengthy team with talent... I like it a lot because it looks like the type of team that will develop chemistry for a couple years together rather than have Xavier Henry and Josh Selby type players who will be gone after a year of two.

Kye Clark 8 years, 1 month ago

Dude...seriously get a new avatar. I've had this one for two years, and you just joined the site. I have posters confusing your posts with mine; attributing what you're saying for my views. It's cool...just get something new please.

JHawk06 8 years, 1 month ago

What a great morning..see the KU score without having to watch the game, see the news about new QBs, and now another SMART BBall recruit!!!!!

Merry Christmas to All !!!!