Monday, December 19, 2011

Witherspoon

Memory of Charlie Weis: No ‘D’

New Notre Dame football coach Charlie Weis talks at his inaugural
news conference. Weis was hired Dec. 13 in South Bend, Ind., to
replace the fired Tyrone Willingham.

New Notre Dame football coach Charlie Weis talks at his inaugural news conference. Weis was hired Dec. 13 in South Bend, Ind., to replace the fired Tyrone Willingham.

The pressure of Charlie Weis’ new job certainly will be a relief.

I witnessed his first season at Notre Dame from the bleachers. I attended nine games that season, but one sticks out.

In 2005, Pete Carroll and USC came to South Bend, ESPN “GameDay” set up shop on the quad in front of Touchdown Jesus, and the Irish and Trojans played one of the greatest games in a rivalry that dates back to 1926.

Before the 3-9 season in 2007, the program’s worst ever in many ways — the utter failure on defense in the fourth quarter game after game, the losses to Navy, the loss to hapless Syracuse in 2008, consecutive losses to the academies — before all that, Weis and Notre Dame nearly dethroned Carroll and the Trojans in the midst of the greatest part of USC’s run.

I distinctly remember after yet another inspiring 80-yard drive organized by Weis and orchestrated by his student, Brady Quinn, to put Notre Dame ahead 31-28 with 2:04 remaining that there was only one way USC could win: an epic defensive collapse by the Irish. Through the clouded remains of all the brain cells destroyed that day, I had that thought.

It was a bad thought, because, of course, it materialized.

A sack on second-and-10 of Matt Leinart for a nine-yard loss put USC back on its 16-yard line with 1:44 left. A complete pass for 10 yards to Reggie Bush made it fourth-and-nine with 1:32 left.

We all thought the game was over.

But Leinart dropped back and lofted the ball to Dwayne Jarrett up the east sideline, and Jarrett caught the ball at his knees. Jarrett went 61 yards to the Notre Dame 13. Bush then did most of the work on two carries and pushed Leinart for the final yard with three seconds left, and USC won, 34-31.

Weis’ highlight in five years at Notre Dame was the loss to USC. Then, following the 2005 season, Ohio State drubbed Notre Dame in all the major statistical categories in the Fiesta Bowl and won, 34-20.

Still, the Notre Dame base was riding high going into 2006. At the Blue and Gold spring game that year after the 2005 season, Joe Montana and Tim Brown came back to be on the sidelines for a practice game because Charlie asked them to. The tradition was alive and well because Charlie rallied the army. Everyone was on board.

But things went downhill from there. The 2006 season, though highlighted by 10 wins to compliment the nine of 2005, included three results which clearly kept Notre Dame from the ranks of the nation’s top teams, a 41-17 loss to Michigan, 44-24 loss to USC and a 41-14 setback to LSU in the Sugar Bowl.

The defense experienced new lows in 2007, with consecutive losses to Navy and Air Force, in which Notre Dame gave up 46 and 41.

In 2008 losses to North Carolina, Pittsburgh, USC and, most embarrassingly, Syracuse, the defense could not be depended on.

In four losses to end the overall decline that was his career at Notre Dame, Weis’ defenses could not withstand Navy, Pitt, UConn and Stanford.

And I should have known it in 2005. No fan in Weis’ tenure believed Notre Dame was going to win at the end of a game, not when the other team had the ball.

Comments

bradynsdad 3 years, 8 months ago

Thinking about buying a "Forever Lazy". Not sure which I like more, that or a snuggle.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

Just get a chubby wife with night sweats. Keeps you warm all winter long!

Chris Shaw 3 years, 8 months ago

I cut the sleeves off my snuggie for the summer months and now I'm stuck!

JayHok 3 years, 8 months ago

Brice Butler, a four star wide receiver transfer from USC was in Lawrence this weekend.

Also even though Weis has been a head coach five years, this article is fair but it's also extremely misleading considering the job being really discussed here is the DC, although the writer is too bashful to acknowledge that. Does he really think four time super bowl winner Charlie Weis is calling defensive schemes against USC in the final minute? Ha! It might also be noted Weis went to two BCS bowl games in 5 years and won one of them. After Kansas finished 120th in the BCS last year out of 120 teams, is this writer really just saying that Weis needs to get the right chemistry fit for DC? Considering USC would have scored 80 against us last year, is the writer thinking we'd be concerned that USC could score 34 against us and we have a shot with Weis, Butler, Deiter, Crist and eventually Heaps to score 38 in the final minute against a vaunted defense of USC?

Why not just come out and say it, Kansas football fans know it and Weis himself already addressed this. Weis needs a good DC.

Personally I'm glad Weis didn't snatch one up without weighing the chemistry he has noted. More than likely he has one chosen already and we'll find out who it is after the bowl season and-or NFL playoffs. The solid D tackle he signed the other day wasn't signing unless he knew something about the DC.

RCJ Zenger!

texashawk10 3 years, 8 months ago

ND didn't win a BCS game under Weis. OSU killed them in the Fiesta Bowl and LSU destroyed them in the Sugar Bowl the next year.

JayHok 3 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for the correction, Texashawk. I would say losing to Ohio State by 14 without very good defensive coordinator in a BCS bowl game isn't terrible though.

2 BCS bowls in 5 years and four super bowl championship rings. Five superbowls overall.

Sounds like it's time for Weis to get his first BCS bowl win since 40% of his college teams he was head coach of have made a BCS bowl.

RCJ Zenger!

Jayhawkhank 3 years, 8 months ago

Weis is a mediocre Head Coach in CFB ... as Bill Parcells says, you are what you are, look at his Won Lost %, about 50 to 55%.

If up against a Top 35 team... like Ohio State, USC, Michigan, Michigan State or LSU ... got beat 90% or 100% of the time.

Translated to playing ...  Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State, TCU, WVU, K State.

maybe we Jayhawks will beat  Texas Tech and Baylor (w/o RG3) ...

Probably  5 - 7  or  6 - 6 seasons ahead unless,,  unless he gets great DC and D coaches / Special Teams coaches ...

DEFENSE in bottom 50% and SPECIAL TEAMS also mediocre.

Weis needs to be a HEAD COACH ... not OC. He needs to trust in a OC and get on top of being a HC.

Great recruiter and great scheming for game day. Mediocre leader during games and making adjustments because no awareness on the D side of the games.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Agreed... All this article tells me is that we need to make sure to land a great d coordinator. Weis is an offense guy and he knows it. Pay a big time D-Coordinator well then give him autonomy.

hawk316 3 years, 8 months ago

A good DC AND talented defensive players. As I continue to stress, you've got to have the talent on the field. All the great coaching in the world only takes you so far without talented players.

jgrobb 3 years, 8 months ago

No.. it stands for "D"id we just waste another $10 million..

Eric Dawson 3 years, 8 months ago

Speaking of holiday shopping, anyone else seriously thinking about a Keurig? It just seems a lot of money to spend up front, and then forever after with the more expensive individual servings, to get just 1 cup of coffee at a time.

NH_JHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

The Keurig is probably the most convenient and easy way to brew individual servings of your favorite coffees. It's especially convenient when you are entertaining your friends/family because it seems like everyone prefers their own style of coffee/tea and so everyone gets what they want instantly. I've owned 2 Keurig machines and I definitely question the quality of the product though. Both have malfunctioned after 6-12 months. One stopped working all together and the other leaks (still using it). If you're in the market to buy a single serve coffee maker I would recommend searching for a brand other than Keurig until they improve the quality of their brewer. Searching Amazon will provide you with hundreds of reviews of other people's experiences with the Keurig...many of which are similar to mine.

NH_JHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I should add that it does make a great cup of coffee though! Overall I love the machine, just wish it was a bit more reliable.

Larry Ewart 3 years, 8 months ago

We have one that is about a year old. It also is starting to malfunction. See where Mr. Coffee is now making one.

dynamitehawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm on my second - the original broke after 6 months, but the manufacturer replaced it for free. Very convenient.... But it's not as good as brewed coffee. I would liken it to frozen pizza. Some are very good, but you can tell the difference.

TulsaTownJhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I bought a Cuisinart K-Cup maker over a year ago and have had nothing but fantastic results. The quality of the coffee depends on which K-Cup variety you purchase -- there are some real dogs out there. Green Mountain Coffee's patent runs out in 2012 I believe, so there should be a great selection of new flavours coming in the next 12 months. Hotel coffee, K-Cup or otherwise, rarely is coming back for though ...

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 8 months ago

I have done a little research and the Keurig seems to have a lot of problems (poor quality) and the cost of the K-cups is very high. The Cusisinart version seems to be much better, although a little pricier. You might want to look at the Bunn single server; it does not have tank so you have to fill it one cup at the time, but it brews in under 1 minute and the quality, as I understand, is very good. The pods are also a lot less expensive than the Keurig. You can get the brewer with a 140 pods for about $100 (Home Depot, Newegg), and the pods are now widely available.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I always buy a box of 80 K-cups at Costco for under $40.

(Donut House or Tully's House Blend)

hawken 3 years, 8 months ago

I've had a Keurig for a couple of years and we use it every day. I'm not a big fan of the K-cups. It comes with an attachment that lets me make my own. I buy a good, fresh coffee and just put a scoop in the wire basket. It's much better and cheaper and almost as convenient. Instead of tossing it away, I just rinse and reuse.

Eric Dawson 3 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU!

johnnyhrdwd 3 years, 8 months ago

No one fan believed we would lose with or without the ball, by less than 30.

gardenjay 3 years, 8 months ago

Wasn't Charlie going in for surgery today? I know it seems like every day is open season on that man, but I would just like to say I hope your surgery went well. KU is all about giving people second chances, and I can't wait to see you try. Happy Holidays.

BillSelf4Prez 3 years, 8 months ago

I just woke up from.falling asleep after getting home from.the.chiefs.game. My voice/throat hurts from yelling,I'm tired,hungry, and now pissed oft there is still no news on the qb's yet. Wow I really sounded like a woman there.

DDDHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

No, you don't sound like a WOMAN. You sound like a WHINER. Don't blame that attribute on women.

Mike Barnhart 3 years, 8 months ago

Wait a minute ...D D D ...like "triple D" ...you're a girl!

LAJayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Posted this on the Heaps article the other day, but it was much after the fact, so I think very few saw it.

Finally caved and got a subscription to JayhawkSlant, and a reporter mentioned, two days ago I believe, that Crist had texted him about when he will make the decision. Here is the exact quote from the reporter:

"One last thing I wanted to add. I know there are reports that Dayne Crist would be announcing his decision as early as today. He did send a text message saying he did not expect to announce anything until next week. I wanted to pass that along. I know there are a lot of rumors out there but this is coming straight from him and may help to set the record straight."

So the decision won't be announced until later this week sometime. No idea if that's good or bad for us, but it does mean a lot more impatient waiting for all of us... and the requisite whining to go along with it... :)

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years, 8 months ago

At least we're used to having no D. It couldn't get any worse than the previous couple years.

waywardJay 3 years, 8 months ago

Yeah actually it could have gotten much worse.

actorman 3 years, 8 months ago

How could it be worse than last in the country?

Shawn Otrimble 3 years, 8 months ago

What a crappy article to start Christmas week off here at KU. I would of loved to here about his family, or something positive. Instead of trying to build a man up who has already gave this program national attention. We are already tearing him down like we are some kind of glory job football program. Get a life! This is picking on a guy who was supposed to have surgery today. With articles like this, I can see why coaches wouldn't want to come to our school.

Mike Barnhart 3 years, 8 months ago

Not a bash. Let me rephrase the article, "Please Charlie, hire a great DC!!!"

squawkhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I've heard all I need to hear about his family...they are not moving from Florida. Enough said.

oldalum 3 years, 8 months ago

His son is. If he stays long enough, I would think the rest of his family would, too, when his daughter has completed her years at her special school.

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for reminding everyone of his nd challenges yet again. Appreciate that.

NJHAWK 3 years, 8 months ago

Hey Tom, Its in the past. Let it go. Coach already has admitted that he made mistakes in the past and has learnt from it.

squawkhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, CW has since become a defensive genius...so let it go.

frompekka2sasha 3 years, 8 months ago

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years, 8 months ago

Not only is this an exciting time because of possible recruits...but also learning which coaches decide to come.

Like some of you did...this article came off very negative.

Who is Tom Witherspoon ? Is this a new guy ? Is he trying to be Tom Keegan ? Wonder if he's a Mizzou grad ?

Dan Harris 3 years, 8 months ago

I thought Crist was announcing this weekend. Anybody know what's up?

JayHok 3 years, 8 months ago

Could be really good for Weis that he didn't announce this weekend. From what I read Crist was in Wisconsin from Friday to Sunday.

The fact that he didn't announce means he really is serious about Weis at the bare minimum.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 8 months ago

this article is par for the course for a KU fan....we haven't seen any defense since 2007, the last season Bill Young was our DC.

i think it's pretty safe to say, CW will turn over the D to a very viable, experienced D coordinator and we will recruit to his specifications...and CW will run the offense. i don't think it's any more complicated than that.

Next year, KU football will have its 5th DC in six years....and the best thing is, 2013 should be the 2nd year in a row with the same one.

gongs4ku 3 years, 8 months ago

After reading this, I can't help worrying about two things. One, why is it so freaking hard to find crumb donnettes nowadays? Two, remember those tiny pecan pies they used to sell at convenience stores? Have I simply stopped seeing them, or are they no longer being sold? I want one.

ogjhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Pecans have increased in price so maybe the stores are looking for lower priced goodies. I live in Connecticut and they still have them out here.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

Who is Tom Witherspoon and why do we care about a game/season 5 years ago? I'm pretty sure the ND horse has been beaten to death so you can stop now.

Since the ljw is having trouble coming up with stories I'll drop you some leads that your readers have had to find by themselves. 1) we have in offers to 3 #1 rated qb's. 2) a pretty decent receiver from USC was on campus last weekend 3) the dc search continues. 4) head coach is having surgery today.

Step your game up!

lurkerhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

You perfectly articulated my sentiments. +1

Rich Noever 3 years, 8 months ago

Amen. Not exactly a professional article. He could have left out the part about the lost brain cells. Not an image of a professional journalist. I hope you have more self control these few years later. Maybe, just maybe, CW has stepped up his game. Obviously, the LJW hasn't..

ogjhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

+1 Thank you for the voice of reason.

kureader 3 years, 8 months ago

Who ever thought ahperse could be "the voice of reason"? Go figure. A constructive post!

waywardJay 3 years, 8 months ago

It's relevant.

In all this Fire Turner madness, we lost sight that every coach we can bring in is going to have warts. Sure, He's bringing in a Good quarterback, on the other side of it he's been on the week for what two weeks now and he's got the Offensive side of the ball mostly squared away.... What about the Defense?

crickets

I'm going to give Weis the benefit of the doubt, but to all those saying their hail marys and building up the shrine in honor of Weis' Superbowl Rings, remember the Patriots were doing some pretty shady things in that era. It's amazing how we can turn our blind eyes from the writing on the wall when we want, and then again we can fire a coach after 1 1/2 years recruiting his own kids just because we went 0-9 in a conference we were built to go 0-9 in, and yet We hire a coach who went 3-9 wit losses to Military service branches and we are treating him like the talk of the town.

Talk about hypocracy.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

"Offensive side of the ball mostly squared away.... What about the Defense?"

Um... Weis has had two official commitments since taking the job. One was a wide receiver and the other a defensive lineman.

Keon Stowers? Remember him? From like 2 days ago?

waywardJay 3 years, 8 months ago

one commitment does not fix the defense.... Have you heard any mention of the coaches he has lined up to take the DEfensive coordinator job ?

Exactly, while this is the patriot way and we won't know about it until it's been done for 2 days, I still think that should have been priority 1 for an offensive minded head coach.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

He's tight lipped about it. Many have assumed he already has his guy, and is waiting until after the bowls/NFL playoffs.

He's going to hire a DC, wayward. It's not like he's going to just say, "meh, whatever. We can win with offense only." You seem to be a little overly negative and impatient without all the info (in my opinion, of course).

I posted a link below about another very, very solid linebacker transfer possibility out of Akron that just visited. He led the MAC and was 2nd in the nation in tackles.... They are recruiting defense; it's just being swallowed up by the Crist/Heaps talk (that is, when the LJW actually covers something). That means with the actually signed commits and the possible transfers, they are basically even on both sides of the ball.......

Just sayin'.

John Mueller 3 years, 8 months ago

i am just worried that i asked for a Keurig for christmas.

I really, really hate frozen pizza.

Dan Harris 3 years, 8 months ago

Makes a great cup of coffee although a bit expensive.

ogjhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

One thing you should keep in mind about Keurig is the system relies on injecting steaming hot water into a plastic cup to make your cup of coffee. Not sure I would want to spend years drinking coffee that is made that way. The expense is high for the actual product. I drink coffee for the caffeine so I stick to instant. It is cheaper, it taste o.k., but you know what you are going to get.

hawken 3 years, 8 months ago

I have a Keurig but never use the plastic cups. There is no way they can package good fresh coffee in a cup without an air valve. It would explode. I use the attachment and buy my own coffee. Much better. Much cheaper. And I still get the convenience of a single cup quickly

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 8 months ago

I hate coffee, but my wife has one of those, and she loves it. But that damn thing is loud! Every time that things starts making coffee, the whole family hits the ground. I think we have the cheaper version though, so maybe the more expensive one isn't loud.

sevenyearhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

My fiancee can't function without coffee ... I've been thinking about registering for one of those.

dynamitehawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Hahaha.. Man... Tough crowd. So, I like frozen pizza... I'm basically coffee, pizza, and weed whore. I'll take anything, but I know good from bad quality - it doesn't bother me, but if you value a dunkin's freshness, then go to dunkin's... Bad analogy... :)

Mike Kendall 3 years, 8 months ago

mvjayhawk said it-----we haven't had a decent defense since Bill Young. It can't be worse than the last two years, right? Uh, right?

CHEEZIT 3 years, 8 months ago

Back in the Orange bowl season, 2008 not 1968, I didn't care if the other team scored because we could score in the next 2 minutes. Now that was fun to watch! So I guess I'm saying I'll take an average defense if we can have great offense!!!

Bellator 3 years, 8 months ago

Seriously LJW this is a crap article. I agree with apherscoachingexperience in that there are lots of good story lines you could be reporting on with a little legwork.

I am not one of the readers on here that professes to be the journalism police but even I with my low standards can see that this is very poor journalism.

Joe Ross 3 years, 8 months ago

Yes, ahperse...you should admit that!

tical523 3 years, 8 months ago

This is awesome stuff, invigorating and entertaining posts on an article that has been designated as trash. I can't wait to see aphers response to your post Atljaybird, and the coffee maker dialogue is classic. I love this great site. Rock fuc$!n chalk!

LAJayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Ahperse,

Completely expected this as your response...

You've surprised me. I guess you haven't done this yet....

rim shot

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

Happy would of been expected...too easy

And maybe you didn't see my post describing an episode of "The Gridiron" where chuck Long was driving the boat, Gill was skiing, and a shirtless Steven Johnson and Jordan Webb do that creepy man hug on the pier.

Andy Tweedy 3 years, 8 months ago

I, too, would like to take the time to admit my epic fail in regards to FHCTG. However, I am NOT wrong about coffee. That stuff sucks b&lls!!!

JayDocMD 3 years, 8 months ago

yawn.

Lets hear some DC and recruiting talk - otherwise not really interested in the ramblings of a man who admitted he has destroyed a good portion of his brain cells.

It appears Mr Witherspoon is on staff at LJW, and that this may be his first contribution. If so, I'd like to say "welcome" and there's nowhere to go but up from this effort.

VaJay 3 years, 8 months ago

Here's SB Nation's take on football at KU next year. Nothing new, but certainly more interesting than many of the posts above... Must be no-news Monday.

pnl14 3 years, 8 months ago

What an awful article. Please put up something else as the front-page article...this is pointless and depressing.

Robert Brock 3 years, 8 months ago

I hate Notre Dame. Enough about Notre Dame. I am only concerned with CW's performance at KU. Tough job. He can handle it - and it doesn't have much to with Notre Dame.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Very well said. Enough with the Notre Dame comments. This is the University of Kansas.

MDHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

So...I'm quite sure that anyone who gives a darn about KU football has long since read about HCCW's coaching history, particularly at Notre Dame. I'm also pretty certain that everyone familiar with the situation is anxiously awaiting the announcement of a DC because we've already read about his woeful defense at Notre Dame.

In short, this article was pointless. Hopefully we hear from Tait soon regarding some actual news on the football team.

oldalum 3 years, 8 months ago

Agreed, MDHawk. Everyone knows Weis isn't into defense. He has said it more than once about himself. This seemed unnecessarily negative at a time when enthusiasm is building around the program. Probably the failed chemistry Weis talked about between the coaches at ND included the defensive staff, and Weis is determined to find a better fit this time around. I rarely criticize the writers on here because I think they usually are assigned these topics, but someone made a mistake on this one.

hailtoku 3 years, 8 months ago

Listen, at least we have a coach now who has the experience of playing a USC, Michigan, Penn State type programs.

You could hire any coach in the nation and put a magnifying glass up to one certain game or highlight all of their weakenesses.

The fact is, Charlie Weis is a big time coach at a small time program. We should be so lucky.

blindrabbit 3 years, 8 months ago

Give it up on Notre Dame:

Too bad Rockne crashed in Kansas! Didn't like Reagan or "The Gipper"! I don't want any Catholic indoctrination! Digger and Lou Holtz are cads! Don't like "Back Home in Indiana" even though Jim Nabors and Herb Shriner sang it! All other Catholic schools hate them, Villanova, Xavier, Marquette, St.Johns, etc.! Too arrogant to join a conference, except in minor sports! Too closely tied to the Eastern media and their biases! Regis Philbin is a alumna! Don't like shamrocks, leprechauns, St. Paddy's Day, have snakes for pets! Rather have single malt than Guiness or Bushmills Irish!.

Rock Chalk!

DocBean 3 years, 8 months ago

Who is Tom Witherspoon, and why is he posting commentaries on KUsports.com?

David Reynolds 3 years, 8 months ago

This article has no value. What possible purpose can it serve?

waywardJay 3 years, 8 months ago

A reminder, that when you hire someone not named Urban Meyer ( and even named Urban Meyer ) that there is a risk associated with the process. In all fairness, Notre Dame should have won that game, What Bush did pushing Leinart into to the End Zone was against the rules and it was not called, and Leinart wasn't getting in there on his own. There are no free lunches, and there no Home Run Hires.

• Spygate.

• Why couldn't he work with Haley at Kansas City ? ( it could have been Haley, but it's equally likely it was as much Weis as it was Haley )

• Doesn't like recruiting, and prefers the Pro game.

• had numerous teams at Notre Dame with great talent level but did not have consistant success, specifically on defense.

• has trouble finding the right coordinators, See Earlier mention of potentially not getting along with Haley.

Matt Tait 3 years, 8 months ago

Hey all - Tom Witherspoon's a part-time copy editor at the LJW who is in law school at KU and was a student at Notre Dame while Weis was coaching there. He's a good dude. Cut him a break.

Just thought his memories would offer a different take on Weis to Kansas.

Here's one thing you have to remember about this whole deal: Charlie Weis is very tight-lipped and only lets out news when he wants to let it out. Doesn't mean we'll stop trying to get it, but it also doesn't mean that we'll be able to get all of the info that you guys are clamoring for every single day. It's a different world for KU football, nd you gotta take the good with the bad. Trust me, though, it should be much more slanted to the good.

Like I said, we'll keep trying, we'll get a lot of it, and there'll be plenty of other things to write and plenty of other ways we can write about the football program.... that's coming.

Hang tight. I've been out the past few days, but will be back at it tomorrow. From there, it'll be an all-out assault on all things KU football.

Stay tuned...

Bellator 3 years, 8 months ago

He might be the greatest guy in the world but that shouldn't change anyone's opinion on the article. I know a lot of great guys that I'd love to drink beer with but I bet you wouldn't publish the stuff they would write nor should you. You guys have an obligation to do better this.

Mike Kendall 3 years, 8 months ago

Matt---

You need your rest. I was keeping my composure all the time. I knew that if I kept being patient, someone was going to explain to me why there hasn't been any news lately.

Looking forward to your upcoming assault on KU football. Rock Chalk!

gongs4ku 3 years, 8 months ago

The article itself is fine. It's the timing that's very poor. Everyone is excited, the honeymoon is in full swing. Shoulda let this one sit for awhile.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I think the point is more that everyone is already very, very aware of this information. We all know what he did at ND, and we all know what his defensive shortcomings are. I think those that take issue with the piece are saying that it serves no purpose. Someone's drunken memory of a game.

Plus, I'm not sure that last drive by USC could really be considered an "epic defensive collapse." USC got a lucky break on 4th down and long when ND's defense had shut them down the other 3 downs, and Leinart scored on an illegal play...

It is an interesting point of view, Tom, it's just that it probably shouldn't be the main football piece when so much else is out there to report on. But good luck in law school, nonetheless.

DevilHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Matt,

Thanks for the comment. Law finals are hell.

rob4lb 3 years, 8 months ago

I always find it interesting with this group that if any writer or commenter says one thing negative (or objective), there is a group of people with crimson colored glasses who will pile on that writer or commenter.

Defense is a huge problem. KU hasn't had a good defense since 2007. The last two years of Reesing and Meier we tried to outscore the opponents and that didn't even work that well. We did get to a minor bowl. A good defense is essential for a team like KU to compete and it is appropriate, given Weis's track record and the sorry state of last year's defense to be concerned.

squawkhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Agree. Look at the other teams in the conference that score a ton of points but end up in the middle of the pack. But then, middle of the pack sounds pretty good right now.

sevenyearhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Any suggestions for Christmas music?

I just found a great Sinatra CD and a decent Johnny Cash Christmas album ...

who are your favorites?

eddiesuttonschoolofdriving 3 years, 8 months ago

Crist may likely be waiting to see whether Wisco's OC, Paul Chryst, takes the head coaching job at Pitt (he interviewed for it on Sat). If he leaves, KU would seem to be in better position. Weis and Chryst are both really good OCs but Chryst's offenses at Wisconsin were MUCH better than Notre Dame's under Weis.

But, If Chryst sticks around, Wisco is a much lower risk move for Crist because of the dominating O-line they have and the rest of the proven offensive talent returning. KU has some nice pieces on offense, but receivers are largely unproven and O-line is not on a par with Wisconsin's. Also, given the weakness of KU's defense, he can expect fewer possessions per game to work with.

It is true that Wisco has other QBs and that Bielema won't promise him he is the starter, but he would almost certainly win the starting job. The top two other QB options have ongoing injury issues and haven't even practiced in ages, last years back-up was a freshman who did not impress in game situations, leaving the only real threat an incoming freshman - highly touted QB from Bay Area-who Bielema would be loathe to have as a starter. Russell Wilson wasn't promised the starting job either, but had no serious competition.

KU needs Crist more than Wisco does, but Crist seems more set up for success (and injury avoidance) at Wisco.

Ed Brown 3 years, 8 months ago

Who cares Witherspoon about what you did years ago. This should maybe just go in your scrapbook. After the Jayhawk Nation went through all this mess for a few years now at least try and help get the troops rallied behind a new coach and try and get a real football program going.

December 2015...I remember 4 years ago reading Witherspoon's poorly written personal account of how bad a football coach was 4 or 5 years ago. Since then there have been many articles written but they just never seemed relevant or current.

Just sayin

Bangkok_Jayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Moral of the story... Hire a big time D-Coordinator and give him autonomy.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

Since most if the football reporting is now up to the "board rats" I'll bring up something very interesting HCCW mentioned during his press conference. Somebody asked a question about a dc and he talked for a while and said "you'll see what I mean when it comes to fruition" which gave me the impression that the dc is in the bag. Maybe we have to wait until the end of bowl season or the NFL playoffs.

Eric Dawson 3 years, 8 months ago

Encouraging you to keep repeating this ahperse. It has been mentioned over and over again in various forums and articles that we probably won't hear anything on a DC until the bowl season/playoffs are done, yet it seems that NO ONE ELSE IS PAYING ATTENTION!

I don't believe we should be saying "In Charlie We Trust", but we should at least (1) pay attention to what he has said he has learned ("need a strong DC") and (2) give him the chance to get his staff together before critiquing whether or not he has responded well to his self-reported "lessons learned".

Apologies for the shouting, hope it served its purpose.

Rock Chalk!

Eric Dawson 3 years, 8 months ago

"no one else is paying attention!" was in CAPS. D*** you, LJW!

actorman 3 years, 8 months ago

LT, you should know better than to try to put six consecutive words in caps. If we can get more than two in a row, it's a miracle.

Shawn Otrimble 3 years, 8 months ago

Maybe when the 49ers are out of the playoffs?

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 8 months ago

I remember the game. I thought the referees made one of the worst calls in the history of football (except maybe when KU lost to UT to give UT a BCS game).

I remember that USC actually purposely fumbled the football football and it went out of bounds. They stopped the clock and were able to run the football with 3 seconds left in the game. The clock should not have stopped and ND should have actually won that game.

What Tom failed to remember in that game is that the defense actually was stopping the most prolific offense in college football history. This was a team with Reggie Bush, Matt Leinhart and like 4 receivers that were out of this world. I don't think there was a defense on the planet that stopped that team. Wasn't that the year that OU played USC and basically put 40+ against OU's defense as well?

Personally, watching Romeo Cromell (sp?) take care of the Packers on Monday really makes me happy that he is going to be a Jayhawk in about 3 weeks!!

Eric Dawson 3 years, 8 months ago

Romeo Crennel wants to be the Chiefs HC, not the Jayhawks DC.

It seems the Cheifs players want him to be the head honcho, too.

Two more games like yesterday's win over Green Bay and he just might have the job.

Sorry, rulz

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 8 months ago

Although I typically would agree, the likes of how Singletary, Frazier, and Garrett are all pointing why you don't promote from within on a badly coached team. If you want to fix the problem, you clean house. I think even if he goes 4-0 he still gets the boot. I believe that he will get a fair interview with regards to the Rooney Rule, but ulitimately I think the Chiefs will go in a different direction.

Romeo could go elsewhere, but knowing that CW and RC were on SB winning teams together, I could see CW bringing him in.

Eric Dawson 3 years, 8 months ago

I can see Charlie hiring Romeo if Romeo's available and if he is interested in coaching college again after having left the college coaching ranks for the pros 31 years ago.

But if the Chiefs win out, then they are in the playoffs, and if he wins even one game in the postseason, he'll be hired by KC. Don't forget the Chief's GM also has a few of those SB rings from his Patriot days. And the fan base would clobber Pioli if he didn't hire Crennel under those circumstances.

JayHok 3 years, 8 months ago

What Tom also forgot to mention is even though Weis' ND team was stopping one of the most prolific offenses in college football history, Charlie Weis had a defensive coordinator who was in charge of the ND defense!

No discussion of the DC. The assumption in this article is that Weis somehow is a DC even though he won four super bowl rings, three of them as offensive coordinator.

Weis is not a DC, he never has been.

Bville Hawk 3 years, 8 months ago

You know something, jhawkrulz, or are you just speculating? Romeo Crennel would be an incredible "get" as DC at KU. I would guess, though, that if the Chiefs win 1 more game this season under him that he is going to get another chance to be a head coach in the NFL (if not at KC then somewhere else).

Micah Mandy Haase 3 years, 8 months ago

On Dayne Crist twitter he posted

"It's funny that I will fly past where I am ultimately headed on my first flight towards my destination."

He is flying from Sound Bend to California... I wonder if someone could track that flight and see if it goes over KU.

Micah Mandy Haase 3 years, 8 months ago

Of course of every flight I look at for South Bend to L.A. the only one that remotely goes over one of is choices is the one flying to Minnesota first.

Unless I am not seeing something it looks like he will be flying directly over Madison, Wisconsin. No connection on his "First flight" goes over K.C.

Micah Mandy Haase 3 years, 8 months ago

And if I would have read the next Tweet then I wouldn't have wasted all this time overanalyzing. I will just shut up now and go back to work...

Right after that he Tweeted.... "Sorry that verbiage was real poor haha I'm flying past south bend on my way back there."

JayHok 3 years, 8 months ago

Ha, the LJW football articles the last week have turned into five star USC recruiting football blogs and you got us! I just checked his twitter and it hasn't changed.

Crist says basically ---Thanks for all the love and support---

Larry Ewart 3 years, 8 months ago

This would mean Chicago to Denver to LA. He would not fly over MN or KC.

bigXIImatters 3 years, 8 months ago

Wah, Wah.......What a downer. Could you please write about something relevant next time, Tom.

Bville Hawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Re: Crist. I think the fact that he has delayed his decision a couple times is probably bad news for us. He's going to go home and talk to his family and then probably make a gut decision.

JayHok 3 years, 8 months ago

Headline tomorrow. "Why Charlie Weis failed to develop Tom Brady into a three time super bowl champion linebacker."

HAWKTOPIA 3 years, 8 months ago

JayHok 3 years, 8 months ago

Most Kansas fans are rooting for Snyder in the Cotton bowl and nearly all are proud of the NCAA D2 champs, Pitt State.

Congratulations to you both from the Jayhawks and thank you all for visiting the Lawrence Journal website in the offseason to read about a non bowl eligible 120th best out of 120 BCS eligible team!

Thanks for the clicks and keep reading the LJW!

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 8 months ago

There was some guidance from the LJW yesterday in fact on how to take good pictures.

eddiesuttonschoolofdriving 3 years, 8 months ago

Another link re: Crist' visit to Wisco. Russell Wilson worked him over pretty good.

JayHok 3 years, 8 months ago

The thing is. Crist will be -the- starter if he comes here. Weis already has a nice line already thanks to TG. At Wisconsin there's a decent chance he wouldn't be the starter which he's dealt with enough already. He might be. But he might not be. With Weis there is no doubt.

For Crist the decision is does he want to be developed under the coach who developed Tom Brady in a pass happy NFL offense? Weis has some big red shirted linemen to protect Crist with a premier line coach in Grunhard who knows how to teach fundamentals and move a pocket.

If Crist does decide to further his NFL chances by playing for Weis, the sooner he tells Weis the better. The reason is Weis can use that to get even better linemen than he already has to make Crist's one year withWeis even more valuable for both and certainly more enjoyable for Kansas football fans!

RCJ!

gardenjay 3 years, 8 months ago

Well, but Crist may not want to go to the NFL.

If so, the deal killer for me would be, Wisconsin had a nice campus up until the very early 90s with a blue collar fringe, but then it became a sprawling yuppy cityscape. Someday Lawrence will be too big as well, but right now it's still the perfect size and ambiance for the college experience. Sorry bucky.

mikehawk 3 years, 8 months ago

It's OK, Matt. The KU donor/fan base wants to live in a honeymoon, dream world that one coach, head coach, defensive coordinator, doesn't matter, can turn things around without the players on BOTH sides of the ball. Matt, your readers really didn't like this article because Tom described something at ND that sounded a lot like this year's KU team. It the donor/fan base don't come down to reality that we have two more, at least, tough years ahead, they are going to turn on the Old Ball Coach, and/or his defensive coordinator, once the losses mount. They put all of their eggs in one basket, being Turner Gill was the problem, and if we only had a good coach, all would be good in paradise. The Old Ball Coach is adjusting to the reality that recruiting with a Gold ND on your hat, and now a Jayhawk, are two very different things. What's happend to the stud QB in town? Recruits just don't roll over because you once coached Tom Brady. The donor/fan base must have patience, be realistic, and throw our support behind Coach Charlie and his staff, because it is all we've got. Would I love to eat every word I've written? Turn things around in two years or less, and I'll have my mouth wide open for the dreamers to shovel in every word I've written on these blogs over the past three weeks.

jgrobb 3 years, 8 months ago

mikehaw.. you are spot on. This message boards complaims and complains ad naseum about how much money we wasted on T.Gill.......... I'm telling you, we just flushed another 10 mill down the invention by Thomas Crapper. These ND teams were so bad it was cringe inducing.. I mean really bad.. worst is, this is KU not ND! People on this board have no idea what coming their way!

Mangino_Maniac 3 years, 8 months ago

Not sure if this has been shared, but here's a nice piece on Dieter and his choice between KU and SMU...

I'm with others about the LJW (and KUSports.com) and the lack of coverage... seems looking elsewhere around the country reveals others have a better beat and interest in what some of these kids are deciding with their recruitment.

JayHok 3 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for the story. I'll still give the benefit of the doubt to relatively local papers like the Topeka Capital and KC Star for being in shock. They're missing clicks on local and national readers they should be attempting to gain as clients. I'd say if Weis gets Crist, Heaps, Dieter, Brice and some of these others being mentioned, this might force the Topeka Capital and KC Star to begin reporting on a relatively unique rags to riches holiday story.

RCJ

LAJayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Brian Wagner, Akron linebacker, visited KU. Sounds like we have a decent shot at him... especially since we have one of their coaches. Kid would be an excellent pickup. The staff is clearly going after defense. It's just not being covered as much as the high profile QBs...

Subscription required. Here are some highlights:

"Wagner is eligible to transfer and enroll somewhere in January. Last season he led the MAC in tackles and was second in the nation going into his last game. ...

"As a freshman he recorded 132 tackles and made several Freshmen All-American lists. As a sophomore he finished 12th in the nation with 132 tackles. This season he was second in the country going into his last game. A knee injury forced him to miss the final game and he finished fourth with 140. ...

"He has graduated and will be able to enroll somewhere for spring football. This weekend he spent time with new Kansas quarterbacks Ron Powlus, who was part of the staff at Akron.

"'I'm real familiar with him so it was good to talk with him,' Wagner said. 'He's a great guy and a great coach. I know the players loved him. He knows what he is talking about.'"

gardenjay 3 years, 8 months ago

This post is great, thanks, and looks like great news.

You know, I always thought KUSports.com was where to go for news on the jayhawks, but now I go to the posts. Sure, I read the stories about how they were able to take a picture of coach, and this one about what a downer HCCW was in the past, but I mostly look for these posts so I can find out some gosh-darned news.

Just so you know LJW, the fans are excited about football finally, and want articles on the rebuild....stop being bizarre.

RockChalkAtlantaHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Gotta give SZ credit on his hire...never in a million years would I think we'd have so many posts about possible football recruits in December. I don't think any other coach we could have hired would have generated this much buzz or national attention. Hopefully we'll see a different attitude from our players and fans this fall. RCJH.

Micah Mandy Haase 3 years, 8 months ago

Isn't Charlie W. having his surgery today?? I wonder how its going.

Mangino_Maniac 3 years, 8 months ago

I was just about to post the same question... HELLO? LJW?? IS THE SURGERY TODAY???

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 8 months ago

If HCBS was having hip surgery there would be a Newell Post live from the operating room.

Bville Hawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Good find, ahperse. While the entire staff at kusports.com is apparently on vacation we all just need to do our part to keep the fire stoked.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

It really sounds like the guy is torn.

On the one hand, RE: Wisconsin, "They've been winning a lot of games and are a very good team," Crist said, "Great coaches and an opportunity to play. They have a lot going for them."

He has a better chance of playing for a successful team with the badgers.

BUT...

This quote: "I have a high comfort level with the offense he [Weis] runs—know it very well. It would be a pretty good advantage walking in the door."

...seems to go quite well with this quote...

"There are some things that are less important in a one year decision versus four year decision."

...of course, that could also go well with the first quote too....

I believe him when he says he doesn't know what he's going to do....

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 8 months ago

I do think LJW could be doing more, but to their historic credit, at this time of year, KU Football is usually something that no one wants to talk about. And lets be honest, if TG was still the head coach, not one of us would want to hear a story about the football program, except maybe about new coordinators.

So I'm assuming that LJW had their vacations planned during the down period of football aftermath.

JayHok 3 years, 8 months ago

Great post by ahpersecoachingexperience. Read the article and this post from a ND fan stuck out.

Posted by: Bill Location: mishawaka on Dec 19, 2011 at 04:34 PM

Good luck Mr Crist. Class act every step of the way. Some of us "adults" have no idea the pressure you faced or the scrutinization of your every move. Every opportunity that was given to you, you handled with dignity and class. You are someone to be admired and respected. I wish you all the best. Thanks for your contribution to making ND a better place on and off the field.

JayHok 3 years, 8 months ago

Another national outlet reporting on Weis, Crist and Heaps. Earth to Topeka Capital and KC Star.

jgrobb 3 years, 8 months ago

There is another post saying HCCW is ushering in World peace, solving world hunger, and the solving the energy crisis.. let me go get that link.. just wait for me...

JayHok 3 years, 8 months ago

Here's the link. Even more interesting with audio.

Thanks for visiting the Lawrence Journal World!

Keep checking back!

kellerman411 3 years, 8 months ago

Dayne Crist:

"I honestly do not know at this point," Dayne said about choosing between Kansas and Wisconsin. "I visited Wisconsin this weekend. It was a really good visit, but at this point, I have to weigh the pros and cons and go from there."

It was a really good visit, BUT....

Sounds like we're getting Crist. Thank you jesus.

jgrobb 3 years, 8 months ago

Why do we want Crist?... good god people.. Crist is absoluttely terrible... If Tommy Rees were coming that would be something! But Crist? We'd be better with Webb..............

jgrobb 3 years, 8 months ago

Please wait on the edge of your seats... check back on this site every 5 minutes.. I'll have the link up soon!!

kellerman411 3 years, 8 months ago

Mizzou fans have their own site. Please try that one, I bet they would love you.

Bville Hawk 3 years, 8 months ago

You've gotta think if you're Crist that "if I go to Wisconsin there is a better than even chance there will be a new OC there next year. The only place I can go where I am assured that the offense will best showcase my talents is Kansas." It seems like a no-brainer, but what do I know.

jgrobb 3 years, 8 months ago

Not much.. considering you think Crist coming here is actually going to make a difference..

jgrobb 3 years, 8 months ago

Here's anothet link, check this out: www.HCCWleavingKUforFamilyIssues,will receive$10millpayout.com

It's a great read!!!!!!!!

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

These are hilarious. Can you please continue to post as many as possible? There must be hundreds of side-splitting versions, maybe you could even film and infomercial. You and your cousin, I mean wife, can film them out by the silo after you are done servicing the sheep.

JayHok 3 years, 8 months ago

Jgrobb, I will say most of us are rooting for KSU and Snyder in the Cotton Bowl. Great season and congratulations. Your coach is an absolute class act. Klein is one great Quarterback and should give Arkansas all they can handle.

Make the Big 12 proud!

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

This, I can't stand. Of course we are all rooting for the Purple Pussy's but I cannot stand suckups. The guy's an idiot - why do you encourage?

JayHok 3 years, 8 months ago

Just a KSU fan giving us a hard time. No big deal. Snyder has done a great job there, his team is playing in the Cotton Bowl and he's reading a site that has a 2-10 football team?

I say keep checking back to the LJW and pump some more advertising money from Manhattan into the Lawrence economy!

Cotton bowl should be a good game. Although you do have a good point----not sure why he has to come here to talk about it even if it's in a back-handed kind of way.

Happy Holidays and RCJ

jgrobb 3 years, 8 months ago

I enjoyed watching KSU as well, I knew after Miami they were for real.. that was a balls to the wall, dirt, blood, guts.. that quarterback.. yes that's what we need..

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Thanks, Captain Obvious. Are we really now posting how a team with a 10-2 record and a coach that is just short of knighthood is really and truly a good football team?

troutsee 3 years, 8 months ago

I agree with the majority of the posters regarding this story. Poor timing. Following two depressing years of KU football, followed by the euphoria of the Weis hier, and then the LJW comes up with this piece of crap.

My definition of a good football weekend. Notre Dame loses. MU loses. KSU loses. The Huskers lose. KU and the Chiefs win. Now that's the ultimate.

jgrobb 3 years, 8 months ago

The truth hurts, don't it troutsee?

jgrobb 3 years, 8 months ago

AND the truth is: the majority of the posters regarding this story have their heads so far stuck up their a$$es that they can't see what an absolutely disaster this hire is... but the truth will come out..

jgrobb 3 years, 8 months ago

The teams Weis at ND were the most listless, under-coached, ill-conditioned, soft (remember they couldn't tackle), ill-preparaed in that history.. puke buckets? I had puck buckets in 7th grade.. that is just the START man!

JayHok 3 years, 8 months ago

2 BCS bowls in 5 years for Weis. 4 superbowl champ rings on his fingers.

Dude he's not a defensive coordinator!

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Puke buckets for over-dosing on your daddy's moonshine aren't quite the same thing as those that Charlie is talking about.

Matthew Pritchard 3 years, 8 months ago

If I were a betting man, Crist will be going to Wisconsin. There is more of a recent history of success with that football program, BCS bowls in the last two years. What is the word on Dieter, Matt? Is he close to a decision and is it KU? It feels as though things are stalled right now! No DC, QB, or receiving core upgrade. It would be nice to have one of those set in place right now.

jgrobb 3 years, 8 months ago

Oh aph.. is the pot calling the kettle black?.. I'm just getting started my friend.. payback is hell, isn't it?

Another: www.Weisgoes2-10twiceandKUsports dotcomfanscallingforouster.com

This one should sound familiar........

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Very familiar. I think every head coach at K-State in the history of the school (other than his holiness) had those results. Maybe that's where you heard it before? Maybe some lavender shirts with purple shorts would have helped some of those teams? Seriously, though, Lon Kruger could have started just about anywhere on the field and it would have been an improvement.

jgrobb 3 years, 8 months ago

huh? I only care what is happening now... you're only as good as your next game, friend.

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

So....using your Banana Splits logic (Under the big blue sun).....KU and K-State are equal unless you lose in the Cotton Bowl and we win our opener next year.

However, if you are only as good as your next game, then how to you define how good you are, since you don't know how you'll be in your next game?

So....it's sort of a socialistic approach to football where everyone is as good as everyone else. Will we be keeping score in your fantasy league?

jgrobb 3 years, 8 months ago

Ughh.. I'm getting bored now.. going to watch Mike and Molly.. WHY would they have designed one power transformer to feed an entire pro-stadium?!!!! Redundancy folks!

Geekinout 3 years, 8 months ago

Isn't that the same USC team Weis faced that had to cheat and forfeit their wins because of their cheating? Go Reggie Bush, freaking slime ball! What a dirty program. Pretty much everything wrong with college athletics is exemplified at that school. Lane Kiffen is a perfect fit...

RockChalk26 3 years, 8 months ago

If I were to make a drinking game out of KU football and you had to take a shot every time you heard or read the words "Notre Dame," you would be wasted in 3 minutes.

jgrobb 3 years, 8 months ago

To show that 70% (based on the "good/ bad hire poll") of you are severely misguided about the wisdom of this hire, and to bring some balance/ sanity to HCCW that he has an absolutely monumental task in from of him, while all at the same time facing serious health and family life issues that won't soon be resolved.

That's the point. Get it?

troutsee 3 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, we get it. He does have obstacles to overcome in his life just like all of us do. Hopefully, he will have half your obvious intellect so he can overcome these obstacles.

He will put forth the effort. He does give attention to detail. And he has a burning desire to prove himself. He is his own critic.

Until he has coached our team, most of us on this board are going to greet him with an optimistic smile, a warm handshake, and wish him the best in turning around a miserable situation.

Your posts are stuffed full of hubris. I hope Charlie and his staff and our team will stuff you full of humble pie.

Mangino_Maniac 3 years, 8 months ago

So where in the article does it address 'family issues that won't soon be resolved'? rolling my eyes

jgrobb 3 years, 8 months ago

Trout - I do too, I do too. But, I followed very closely his hire at ND at the time, and the exact same acollades were piled on, he was the 2nd coming, all the NFL stuff, all the Brady stuff, exactly as before.

All I'm saying is we're potentially setting up for a big let-down.

DDDHawk 3 years, 8 months ago

The name represents the sorority I was at in college at KU, and is not about the size of a particular item of clothing. That is a riot! I had not even thought about the fact that it could be interpreted in the other way! That gave me the chuckle for the day!