Monday, December 19, 2011

KU, Travis Releford return to K.C.

Junior expects plenty of family, friends on hand for tonight’s clash

Kansas guard Travis Releford is fouled as he goes up for a reverse layup against Towson during the first half on Friday, Nov. 11, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

— Kansas University junior forward Travis Releford sat behind the University of Alabama basketball bench with his mother, Venita, and other relatives Saturday night in Sprint Center.

His mission was to cheer on brother Trevor, who scored 14 points, dished six assists against four turnovers and swiped three steals while playing 37 minutes in the Crimson Tide’s 71-58 loss to Kansas State.

“It was different,” Travis Releford said of his role as cheerleader. “I let my mom do all the screaming. I was laid-back watching the game.

“I was rooting for him. I think he played well,” Travis added of Trevor, a 6-foot-1 sophomore point guard who, like his older brother, attended Roeland Park’s Bishop Miege High. “Late in the second half, they couldn’t get anything going. K-State is a good defensive team. They work hard at that. It’s what their coach (Frank Martin) forces on them.”

Tonight, for the second time in three days, Travis Releford, Venita, and other members of the Releford family tree return to Sprint Center hoping for a better result.

KU (7-2) takes on Davidson (6-3) in an 8 p.m. nonconference clash billed as the M&I Kansas City Shootout.

“It’s always fun to play back home because a lot of my family members don’t have a chance to come here (Allen Fieldhouse) and watch me play. There’s so many of ’em,” Travis said. “It’s only 10 minutes away (from his mom’s house). Everybody will be there. I’ll have my own little family section.”

Travis Releford has averaged 8.4 points a game off 52.6 percent shooting in KU’s nine games. The 6-6, 210-pounder has made six of 20 threes for 30 percent. Trevor averages 10.8 points, 3.3 assists and 2.0 turnovers for 8-3 Alabama. He has made just three of 17 threes.

“I am very proud of him. He’s playing well,” Travis said. “He played well last year, and it’s continued on this year. They’ve got a good team. Hopefully they’ll make the tournament.”

KU tonight meets a Davidson team that has been picked to win the Southern Conference. The Wildcats, who fell to KU, 59-57, in the 2008 Elite Eight in Detroit, have lost at Duke (82-69) and UNC Charlotte (84-61) and fell to Vanderbilt (87-83) at home. Wins have come against Guilford, Richmond, Presbyterian, UNC Wilmington, Wofford and Furman.

“They run motion and play fast,” KU coach Bill Self said of the Wildcats, who average 77.1 points a game to KU’s 75.3 ppg. “Motion is the hardest thing to guard if you know what you are doing, and certainly I think they know what they are doing. They are physical and play some 1-3-1 (defense), which we have not seen yet.”

Sophomore forward De’Mon Brooks averages a team-leading 16.0 points and 7.0 rebounds per game. Junior guard JP Kuhlman averages 13.6 ppg, junior forward Jake Cohen 12.4 ppg and junior guard Nik Cochran 10.2 ppg.

Two local players are key Wildcat reserves. Clint Mann, a 6-7 junior from Overland Park’s St. Thomas Aquinas, and Tyler Kalinoski, 6-4 freshman out of Olathe East, average 5.3 and 4.0 points.

“That was one thing that may have been talked about,” Self said of Davidson wanting to play close to the hometowns of two players, “but ESPN thought it would be a good game as well. ESPN helped schedule the game.”

Of course, there will be references on ESPNU tonight about the ’08 thriller, which propelled KU to the Final Four, where the Jayhawks beat North Carolina and Memphis to claim the national title.

“Davidson in ’08 was the most physical team we played all year,” Self said.

The low-scoring game was not decided until Jason Richards — not phenom Stephen Curry — took and missed a three at the final horn.

“I am thinking of ‘wide left,’ because it looked like it was on line from where I was sitting,” Self recalled of the shot. “That was one of the toughest grind-it-out games we’ve had since we have been here. We were fortunate that it was a coin-flip game, and we were able to come away with the W. It’s a great memory, but it was definitely one where we had to sweat. Once you get in that NCAA Tournament, people don’t understand and even coaches do not understand because you kind of wish certain things happen. Maybe you think, ‘Well, that team is not as good; it’s not seeded as high,’ but in the tournament, it is all about match-ups, and the team that Davidson had that year could match up with anybody.”

Comments

Jason Keller 2 years, 3 months ago

Tyshawn - turnover Tyshawn - turnover Tyshawn - turnover Tyshawn - turnover Tyshawn - retarded foul Tyshawn - retarded foul Tyshawn - turnover Tyshawn - Big 3-pointer (See!!! I told you guys he does good for us!)

My god people, I know he gives us a dynamic that we wouldn't have otherwise but, the kid doesn't take care of the ball and does not make good decisons. Ever.

jumpinjayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Tehan is a worthless waste of a basketball player. Why does he even see any playing time at all? He is slow, cannot guard, cannot get open, and shoots a set shot when there is nothing on the line. Please Bill put in anyone else but him

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Jesse Newell had the time and inclination to work up all kinds of +/- statistics on all our top 8 or 9 players, checking the lineup against sundry team or league stats when they are in the lineup or on the bench? Would bury him in trivia, but make for endless suppositions and commentary among daily posters. For several weeks, I have wondered about the +/- stats on scoring offense and scoring defense when Kevin Young was on the floor. His insertions seem to inject a boost of energy during the halcyon stages of games. Of course, he bears the advantage of popping into the lineup with fresh legs and enthusiasm at a time when starters often have reached weariness or long stretches of static patterning. Also, there is ever so much more to the game than simply numbers on a scoreboard.

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Oakville, last time I called up the league stats, Jayhawks were bottom of the league in guarding 3 pt. shots. We really have to get after that stat if we are to lock down #1 in your listing. Maybe that could become a major focus for Naadir to earn some minutes, becoming a superglue defender of the 3.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

The "not so " secret formula for beating Misery:

1] Stick to the three point shooters like glue: make them drive around you. 2] Pick them up early and a far from the basket; make them work the ball. 3] Pound the ball inside, crash the boards, TRob and Jeff may put in 50 between them 4] Tell Frank Haith that the NCAA wants to talk to him after the game. 5] If you are Kansas.....just show up.

Prediction: Sloppy game with lots of turnovers on both sides with many bad ref calls but KU's superior athleticism will wear down Davidson 72 - 60

BillSelf4Prez 2 years, 3 months ago

Ha,MU fans already think they are going to the final four! All I want for Christmas is a 20 point win on Miserys home court on College Gameday! Rock Chalk!

hihawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Wonder how bad KU will struggle tonight against Davidson?

Jack Wilson 2 years, 3 months ago

Heading into tonight, I think it will be interesting to see who is first off the bench subbing for TRob/Withey ... Wesley or KY.

If KY is the first in, probably indicates a shift in Self's thinking there. If Wesley's first in, it just means the rotation hasn't changed much. Will also be interesting to see if KY gets minutes in any case.

And can we avoid the upset. Noticed that Davidson has been playing some 1-3-1. Kind of wish this game was on the road, as opposed to the Sprint Center. Coming off the long break, would make sure we were more focused. The quasi-home games are more dangerous.

jhwkfan162515 2 years, 3 months ago

After Mizzoodle leaves the league, we need to relocate our home-away-from-home game to Topeka or Wichita so as not to put any money into that evil state's economy.

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Travis will now probably get a bit more relief and rest, what with the emergence of Kevin Young as a more dependable sub at the 3 and 4 positions. Fresher legs and renewed focus for T-Rob and Travis.

REHawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Regarding that '08 game vs. North Carolina, the images that stick most for me are of Cole Aldrich matched up with Hansbrough...and of the press conference afterwards, with Cole getting so much attention and praise, to the startled amazement (amusement and disgust?) of Rush and D-Block. Bill Self worked some special magic in the second half of that contest. Another lasting memory, Self kneeling to the hardwood after the buzzer.
The first half, a classic example of one team's adrenalin continuing to soar vs. the other team's sustained impotent shock. However, per usual in the 40 minute length of competition between two goliaths, the tables turned, and Jayhawk players and fans faced a roaring locomotive before surviving and moving on to the Final. Roy handled the loss with grace, considering his lengthy bitter reaction from former Jayhawk supporters. Showing up wearing the Jayhawk decal in the championship game was a very classy act which did much to activate a healing proces with the Jayhawk Nation.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 3 months ago

That game in 08 was easily the toughest game I've ever seen KU win. Every point seemed to be scored after excruciating effort. The refs as I recall had me frustrated as well, making me think that maybe they wanted some rinky dink little college to get to the final 4. Every other time KU has won to make the Final Four since 86 I've been elated. That day there was no jumping around, just relief.

wfzman 2 years, 3 months ago

I hope that KU takes notes, because they will need to play like a Mid-Major to do anything this season. They have to take care of the ball and make sure it gets in the correct hands EVERY possession. It is boring, slow and methodical, but it is what it is. I hate the thought, but were they to play like the 2000-2001 Illinois team they might have a chance. By the way, that team was the reason I didn't want KU to hire Self. I have surrendered that disappointment, Coach Self seems to be a good guy and his teams have good GPAs.

William Blake 2 years, 3 months ago

Travis wants to be a "big play" player. Stepping up, when it counts, to make the plays that win games. He has made some key plays this year to help seal victories.

What Travis needs to learn is every play counts in a 40-minute contest. When you win by 1, every basket during the game was the "game winner."

Travis is so capable of making big plays... I'd like to see more of them every game!

Go get some tonight, Travis!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

I have put out an all points bulletin on the whereabouts of 100.

Having been through a life-threatening illness this year, I know that posting becomes secondary to survival.

I can only hope he is on some tropical island in the Fiji Isles, surrounded by topless native girls feeding him coconuts and albacore.

[PS I sure hope his posting I.D "100' wasn't his age!!]

Mike Kendall 2 years, 3 months ago

That Davidson game in '08----I remember former KU coach, Roy Williams, talking about Bill Self after that game----"That wasn't a game of celebration. That was a game of relief," referring to HCBS on his knees when the game ended.

shinguard 2 years, 3 months ago

On a different topic.... I was watching the Marcus HS vs BBall game on ESPN the other night and they had showed Bill Self and Danny Manning watching. Marcus already has 2 people committed to OK State (Forte and Smart). I was not aware of any other recruits playing in that game. Anyone know why they were there? The game was in Lewisville TX - just outside Dallas.

Joseph Kuebel 2 years, 3 months ago

Coulda, shoulda, woulda... Need not apply.

If the queen had stones she'd be the king... If my aunt had them she'd bemy uncle... If the Jayhawks didn't win Memphis would have. If your smart you know things happened and nothing can change this now.

kgreg01 2 years, 3 months ago

Hmmm so lets say we loss the Davidson in '08 and the following years results remained the same. I think we would have a little bit different viewpoint on our program and coaches if we experienced no NC and tourney upsets to Bucknell, Bradley, Davidson, Northern Iowa and VMU.

Alohahawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Recruiting imfo - J. Peters and T. Parker updates.

p>Rivals.com has current story, titled "Heavyweight Battle", with stats. for T. Parker vs Gathers (a shorter, muscular TRob clone).

Plus recent game for KU commit, Peters, and his teammate, Randle.

And imfo. for other KU future possibles: 2014 #1 pg - Mudiay (sp), and sg - Mickey Jordan.

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 3 months ago

We could use a guard like Relafords bro.

rockchalkchalkin23 2 years, 3 months ago

Relly

Use your court vision and be aggressive. With confidence, you could give the team 12 a night easy. Attack the paint and take 3's in the rhythm of the offense. Jay Bilas mentioned during the OSU game that Buford was underrated, which is true. He also mentioned how well you defended him. The way you played D on him shows how underrated your defense is. Keep up that D and be confident in your scoring ability. You will not have to worry about making an NBA roster.

BillSelf4Prez 2 years, 3 months ago

A girl in my grade, her older brother is a freshman on scholarship at Davidson and gets playing time

bradynsdad 2 years, 3 months ago

I think Wichita could use a team like The Flint Tropics. I hope I get a couple of tickets to a game for Christmas.