Sunday, December 18, 2011

Tim Grunhard seeking specific linemen

Tim Grunhard, a second-round draft pick out of Notre Dame in 1990,
played 11 years at center for Kansas City.

Tim Grunhard, a second-round draft pick out of Notre Dame in 1990, played 11 years at center for Kansas City.

He was a second-round draft pick, played 11 seasons and 164 games in the NFL with the Kansas City Chiefs and was a standout offensive lineman at Notre Dame during the late 1980s.

It’s safe to say that Kansas University offensive line coach Tim Grunhard knows a thing or two about playing the position he now coaches. Although he won’t officially begin his new job until Jan. 1, Grunhard, who was hired Tuesday by new KU coach Charlie Weis, also has a specific vision for the type of player he wants representing the Jayhawks in the trenches during his time in Lawrence.

“I don’t care if you look like Tarzan, if you play like Jane, I don’t want you around,” said Grunhard during his weekly radio spot on 810 WHB last Tuesday. “The guys that we get in, I don’t care if they’re the biggest guys or the strongest guys, but they’ve gotta be the best technicians.”

Right away, Grunhard will have plenty of options from which to choose. Not only will KU return three starters from an offensive line that started the same five guys for every game of the 2011 season, the Jayhawks also have more depth on the offensive line than at any other position.

Heading into 2012, seniors-to-be Tanner Hawkinson (a 6-foot-6, 293-pound right tackle), Trevor Marrongelli (6-2, 293 left guard) and Duane Zlatnik (6-4, 305 right guard) will be joined by a couple of other offensive linemen who played a few snaps this season. That group will be bolstered by a pack of five red-shirt freshmen who came to KU together and spent the 2011 season getting bigger and stronger.

The most notable members of the top trio’s supporting cast are sophomore tackle Riley Spencer and freshman center Dylan Admire, 6-3, 272. During 2011, Spencer, 6-7, 300, was the first lineman to enter the game when one of the starters needed a rest, and Admire, who came from Blue Valley West High, got a jump start on his class by graduating early and joining the Jayhawks prior to spring ball.

Also on KU’s list of returning red-shirt freshmen on the O-Line are: Travis Bodenstein, 6-5, 310; Luke Luhrsen, 6-5, 299; Damon Martin, 6-5, 265; and Bryan Peters, 6-5, 305.

Although their experiences during 2011 should serve all of KU’s linemen well, Grunhard said the new coaching staff was prepared to change the culture.

“They have to accept that they’re gonna work hard,” Grunhard said. “The fundamentals and technique of the position are very important to me. There were a lot bigger guys than I (in the NFL), and you really have to be solid in fundamentals and technique to have success.”

Grunhard emphasized intelligence throughout his latest radio appearance. For him, it’s not as important to be a giant in stature as it is to be a genius upstairs.

“The secret to playing offensive line is to anticipate and be right,” he said. “And the only way you can anticipate and be correct with your anticipation is by studying film and understanding the game.

“The one thing we’re going to concentrate on is becoming students of the game, so that when we go to the line of scrimmage we’re the best-prepared football team, the best offensive line, and we understand the logistics of how we’re gonna do it. If you understand that and you have confidence, you can play with anybody.”

Grunhard continually talked about KU being the perfect place for him to make the leap to college coaching. For starters, it allows him and his family to remain in Kansas City, and, more important to the job, gives him the opportunity to coach the kind of players he likes to coach.

“I like chips on their shoulders,” Grunhard said. “A lot of times, at KU you get guys with chips on their shoulders because they didn’t have the opportunity to play somewhere else.”

He also said he looked forward to the task of turning Kansas into a winner again and recognized how difficult the process may be coming on the heels of two of KU’s worst seasons in school history.

“I am aware of it,” he said. “And that’s one of the reasons I took it. I love the challenge. You, as a person, cannot grow until you challenge yourself.”

Although coaching the proper footwork and the right reads will be a priority, Grunhard, who spent the last six seasons as a successful head coach at Bishop Miege High and was a Kansas City-area high school assistant for five years before that, also said he looked forward to keeping in touch with his high school roots on the recruiting trail.

“High school football in Kansas City, I think, is very, very underrated,” Grunhard said. “There are a lot of good football players, and we need to tap into that, and we will tap into that.

“It’s gonna be a blast, man. It’s a dream come true. I know I keep saying that, but it really is.”

Comments

JJHAWK 2 years, 10 months ago

I think our offensive line is in good hands! RCJH

doolindalton 2 years, 10 months ago

“High school football in Kansas City, I think, is very, very underrated,” That is correct and so is high school football throughout the state of Kansas. (See the 2011 D2 National Champions, Pittsburg State.) Excellent article. Particularly encouraging from the perspective of those of us who believe that it is actually possible to coach kids up into good football players. Grunhard should be an excellent asset to the program.

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

And speaking of Pitt State... We need to go after that stud linebacker of theirs, NATE DREILING...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need defense

jhox 2 years, 10 months ago

This is very true, KC produces a lot of good D1 players. The problem is that MU, NU, OU, etc. have been winning way too many of those players. This is a great opportunity for KU to make inroads into KC recruiting. The city is sour on MU and their move to the SEC. Pinkel has really owned the KC market, and it is time to put an end to that. If we can get 5 to 10 of the best guys from KC each year and supplement that with players from Texas and other states, there is no reason we can't have the kind of consistent success that MU has had the last 5 or more years.

Grunny has a great personality. I believe he's going to be a great recruiter, especially here in KC where he has high name recognition.

(Balwinjhawk, I agree...we could sure use that Dreiling kid. He as the best player on that field yesterday, by a large margin. How did KU and KSU miss on that kid?)

AirCapJay 2 years, 10 months ago

+1. Same for the Wichita area. Good players like Blake Bell are getting away and going to OU.

gardenjay 2 years, 10 months ago

Nice article, thanks for letting us know a little more about this coach....rcjh

johnnyhrdwd 2 years, 10 months ago

I'll take a chip on the shoulder over a bluechip anyday. Maybe Grunhard should be head coach someday.

sevenyearhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

That same philosophy wouldn't hurt the basketball team, either ...

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Projection time...

T-Tanner Hawkinson G-Duane Zlatnik C-Dylan Admire G-Trevor Marongelli T-Riley Spencer

TE-Trent Smiley Slot-DJ Beshears WR-Daymond Patterson WR-Kale Pick WR-JaCorey Shepard

QB-Dayne Crist (PLEASE!) FB-Nick Sizemore TB-Committee... Miller-James-Sims-Pierson-Bourbon

Even though there is a new coaching staff, most of these guys have experience... Definitely enough to be a respectable offence. I bet we will be able to run the ball well.

bjacksn 2 years, 10 months ago

I thought I saw somewhere Miller is transferring. I think academic reasons

John Randall 2 years, 10 months ago

Is a respectable offence one down by the creek with good posts and new wire?

Forgive my being offensive about spelling.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I am DEEPLY sorry about spelling one word wrong KU62. I would like to copme over and make your entire family dinner to make up for my sin. Thank goodness for people like you who fight the hard fight to make certain the spelling on the site is correct. I can't even imagine a world without you. It would be absolute chaos. Except chaos would probably be spelled wrong!

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Defense..

DE-Opurum DT-John Williams DT-McKinney DE-Keba

LB-Tunde Bakare LB-Darius Willis LB-Huldon Tharp

CB-Greg Brown S-Keeston Terry S-Bradley McDougald CB-Tyler Patmon NB-Chris Robinson

I bet we bring back the 4-3 because this is not the NFL. Because of the spread, I would like to see one of the linebackers as a nickel back/line backer hybrid. Tunde Bakare looks to be that guy. I love our safety combo and our DLine should be improved. I wonder if this will be enough for a dramatic change.

danno1313 2 years, 10 months ago

Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic I m afraid. We re a long way from even competing in the BIG 12 or whatever it s called now.

JHawk74 2 years, 10 months ago

We could go to a 4-2-5 defense or a 3-3-5 defensive since most of the Big 12 seems to be a pass first offense schemes anymore.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Special Teams-

LS-Gibas K-Doherty P-Doherty

KR-Beshears PR-Patterson

Position change candidates... -We are overly stacked at RB. Sims and Miller are definitely RBs. Can Pierson play corner? Can Bourbon play Safety or linebacker? San Miller be a RB/WR like Percy Harvin was at Florida? -Keeston Terry to receiver? -Michael Reynolds back to DE? (I was not able to watch games, only read about them and see high lights... I think he was playing LB bt could be wrong) -Hawkinson back to LT? He is definitely a RT type player, but we have to have the best available guy to protect the blind side.

alphajay 2 years, 10 months ago

For not seeing any live games, Bangkok must have put some serious thought into how our team should line up. Good set of posts. Don't know how accurate any of them are, but they read well.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Bangkok is a fantastic place to live but Cricket, Muay Thai, and soccer don't exactly hit the spot when it comes to getting my sports fix! Still gotta follow KU Football or I would go crazy.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't know how accurate they are either... I wouldn't put any money on projections until we see who comes in, who transfers, and what kind of offense/defense we run. Just for fun now.

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 10 months ago

Bangkok - if we get all of our key players back...I think Weis and his new coaching staff will be pleasantly surprised with our offense.

The d-line and linebackers need a major overhaul. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Ive been saying this since 2008...if we don't get some talent and depth on that defensive line...this program will struggle.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I agree! I do believe the Gill firing was the right move, but the level of talent would have been upgraded no matter who was coach! If we got a good QB in with the guys we have returning then I would not be surprised if we had a 6 or 7 win season. Heck even Webb may have a chance with a new staff and an improved supporting cast.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 10 months ago

Ironically, I think the QB coaching was a major problem...odd. But with the right coaching Webb could be a decent QB, he's got the potential. That being said, I would certainly like to have a Crist or a Heaps.

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 10 months ago

Disagree - in accuracy...inability to hit open receivers is a tough one to fix. Webb doesn't have what it takes to be a successful Big 12 quarterback. The only thing our previous coaches could of done differently...was not make Webb the starting QB.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I would love Crist but I don't believe all is lost if Webb is our guy. I think we can still make strides with Webb.

JayDocMD 2 years, 10 months ago

I love the "Grunny" hire and enjoyed this article. However the LJW must stop using this picture. He looks like a rather large Dr. Evil.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 10 months ago

I actually love the picture. Maybe it's because when I first saw it used by the LJW when he was picked as the OLC and the pic subtitle said it was his last NFL game. He looks thoroughly satisfied with his career.

John Mueller 2 years, 10 months ago

Webb is not a D1 quarterback.

Has no clock in his head to get rid of the ball.

Cannot go thru his progressions quickly enough.

Vision of the field is awful.

Jayhawker111 2 years, 10 months ago

Why are you talking about Webb?

Weis cut Webb the first day he was hired.

Webb will not be on the roster.

KGphoto 2 years, 10 months ago

You can't cut a scholarship player. It's not the NFL.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Best line in the article was the last one: It's a dream come true. Says a lot about the the mind set he will bring.

I also love the focus on technique - you have to actually coach players to make them better. I'm excited.

Finally, the comment on KC recruiting was telling. Grunhard is also in charge of Chicago, I believe, which means that we will begin reeling in some key recruits in the next recruiting session.

Does anyone know why Jan. 1 is the magic date? It would seem that we could use him sooner.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

He most likely is finishing up obligations at Bishop Miege.

Mark Lindrud 2 years, 10 months ago

I do know the recruiting dead period starts this week, which may have something to do with it.

texashawk10 2 years, 10 months ago

It's the start of the new calender year. Coaches of teams whose seasons end during the fall semester have contracts the run through the end of a calender year and coaches of teams whose season ends in the spring semester have contracts that run through the end of the school year. If a team runs over a few days like football or baseball, then contracts can be extended through the end of a season as opposed to end of either a calender or school year.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Final Thought; and I mean it this time. I read an article on Crist and Wisconsin which makes me think we'll get him. Wisconsin has 4 quarterbacks on roster and the tone of the article was - even if Crist ends up as a back-up it's not a bad gamble.

If you compare that sentiment to the idea that he's the automatic starter if he comes to KU, then I think he'll lean towards us. As stated by some earlier posters, we have some offensive talent, Crist could probably run a very effective offense here. He could have a shot at 2nd team all-conference and put himself in good position for the draft (I'm assuming Klein is 1st team).

willie_fu_fu 2 years, 10 months ago

Crist tweeted he has picked a school, as posted in the football board. Looks to be Kansas Bound!!!

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Anywhere we can find/see this? Great news! Thanks!

dino5540 2 years, 10 months ago

I heard Tommy Rees is coming Tommy Rees is coming!! Tools.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

You are one condescending a-hole. No question about it. How's the world look from your lofty perch? Has God spoken to you today?

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

Could you make it anymore obvious that you are a former player that Charlie told to take a hike. And I don't mean from the center. Just pack your bags and find yourself a nice little KCAC school where you can work hard and hopefully earn a starting spot on senior day.

dino5540 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm getting a good laugh out of this. And that's why I'm going to stop. I won't post under this name again. Last Fall, I swear the $hit-magnets on this message board drove me nuts (not directed at any one specifically). I'm fully on the bus with this hire, and hope the boys kick-a$$ next Fall!

Jason Keller 2 years, 10 months ago

Still can't get over all that bullying from high school huh? I can't say that bulging gut and receding hair line will help much but, things should get better when you move out of mom's basement and quit your job at the movie theatre.

Kevin Crook 2 years, 10 months ago

Grunhard is going to prove to be a sensational hire. I'll bet he has an unmeasurable positive effect on the entire program, not just the O line. RCJH!

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 10 months ago

Can that guy that wrote the article about taking pictures go and snap a new one of Gunhard?

manginodrh00lz 2 years, 10 months ago

Just spoke to Crist's family - he is KU bound.

bville_hawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Don't mess with our minds, man. We are all on pins and needles about this.

waywardJay 2 years, 10 months ago

This hire has me a step closer to endorsing the Weis hire. Still waiting an Offensive coordinator.

Keeping Reggie Mitchell , Good move. Hiring Grunhard.... Good Move.

I swear to Bejebus if WE hire Josh McDaniels I will wash my Jersey in a vat of industrial strength bleach.

bville_hawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Charlie has said that he will serve as OC initially and eventually turn it over to an OC Apprentice. Don't know if "initially" means first few games or seasons.

Carolyn Troupe 2 years, 10 months ago

I just spoke to the girlfriend of Crist's second cousin by a previous marriage. He has no information.

bville_hawk 2 years, 10 months ago

I just got done servicing your wife. She doesn't know anything either.

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 10 months ago

Which is why she had anything to do with you.

Bellator 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm sure she couldn't divulge a lot of info in that 15 seconds

danno1313 2 years, 10 months ago

Recruit .. 1 Speed 2 Speed 3 Speed 4 Speed 5 Speed

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Most recent Tweet from Crist. Look's like he's still deciding.

dcrist10 Dayne Crist @ @NDmom haha I know that was bad on my part, as soon as I know so will you 2 hours ago

texashawk10 2 years, 10 months ago

I love that Grunhard wants to emphasize technique. Superior technique is how you win games when you have undersized players like KU does and always will. Charlie Weis may be able to get the attention of a few 4 and 5 star players and that's great, but KU will never attract those kind of players at the rate of Texas or Oklahoma so superior technique becomes the equalizer for schools like KU and KSU. Being able to block better, tackle better, take better pursuit angles, run better routes, and so on is how teams with lower rated athletes win which all comes back to coaching up 3 star kids which is what 85% of KU's roster is made up of.

Jason Keller 2 years, 10 months ago

The USC transfer Brice Butler told a FOX analyst that Kansas is not that high on his list but he still isn't sure where he is headed. She posted it on a USC discussion board. I thought I would share.