Tuesday, December 13, 2011

KU football coach Charlie Weis names former Notre Dame QB Ron Powlus as quarterbacks coach

Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis added to his staff Tuesday afternoon by announcing the addition of former Notre Dame and Akron quarterbacks coach, Ron Powlus. Powlus will coach the quarterbacks at KU.

He joins Reggie Mitchell (RBs), who was held over from the previous staff and Tim Grunhard (O-Line), who was hired officially Tuesday morning.

Powlus joins the KU staff after serving as the passing game coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Akron for the past two seasons.

Prior to his time at Akron, he served as the quarterbacks coach at Notre Dame under Weis for three seasons and helped develop Jimmy Clausen into one of the most prolific passers in program history. In 2009, Clausen was named an All-American after completing a school-record 68 percent of his passes (289-for-425) for 3,722 yards and 28 touchdowns with four interceptions.

Powlus also worked with Weis on the Notre Dame staff as the director of player development in 2005 and 2006, helping the Fighting Irish secure a pair of top 10 recruiting classes.

Powlus was a four-year starter at Notre Dame from 1994-97, setting 20 school records during his time as a player. He started 44 games for the Irish in his career and completed 558-of-969 passes for 7,602 yards and 52 TDs.

He spent three seasons in professional football, playing for the Tennessee Oilers, Detroit Lions and Philadelphia Eagles from 1998-2000. He also spent one season playing for the Amsterdam Admirals in NFL Europe.

A native of Berwick, Pa., Powlus graduated from Notre Dame in 1997 with a bachelor’s degree in marketing from the school’s College of Business Administration.

Comments

nylifejayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I wouldn't mind if Weis brought in everyone that was with him at Notre Dame. If he mirrors the success that he had there, I'd think that'd be great.

middleoftheroader 2 years, 4 months ago

Head football coach Charlie Weis talked to the crowd at halftime of the #2 Ohio State Buckeyes @ #13 Kansas Jayhawks, and said ..." were up by 6,...now let's go beat Ohio State!". Wouldnt it be so awesome if he was talking about a KU football game?

JayDocMD 2 years, 4 months ago

Malzahn to Ark St. - definitely looks like he could have been KU's if we wanted him. Not as splashy as Weis but might've been a better long term hire...

redbull38 2 years, 4 months ago

Great hire. I'm impressed Charlie could snatch him away from Akron. Notre Dame was 16 - 21 with Ronny as QB coach. That and 2 years at Akron is a really impressive coaching resume. Well at least it is impressive compared to the o-line coaches resume which consistes of a few seasons coaching high school. I played high school football so I think I should apply for the defensive line coach position.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

How about Lou Holtz for DC?! Rudy for D Line?

Jeffery Stadler 2 years, 4 months ago

I would love to see the speed and strength Jayhawk from the late 80's and early 90's. It looks like it might do some harm if it attacked someone. And names on jerseys

blindrabbit 2 years, 4 months ago

Please don't get carried away with this Notre Dame Irish crap; never could understand the hype about them, except every East Coast media outlet falls all over them.. Several years ago, KU was the only school that committed to not playing them because of their exclusive TV contract. As it turned out KU did play ND as a kickoff to the season (about 2000) I think, we attended and KU got thrashed. All will be OK I guess if we don't play up that religious stuff and keep a pope and confessional booth off the sidelines. Rock Chalk

squawkhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

This smacks of an easy and quick hire versus a really good hire. I'm thinking that Weis really could have done better. Hopefully he hit a home run with the OC and DC positions.

Charlotte_Jhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

It's probably prudent not to get overly optimistic about our football program. However, I have a sense that a "seismic shift" for the better has occurred. RCJH!!!

troutsee 2 years, 4 months ago

Definitely looking forward to football next year.

Danny Hernandez 2 years, 4 months ago

Has it ever been said that we fans are looking forward to football season during basketball season? I'm on the Head Coach Charlie Weis bandwagon

Mike Anderson 2 years, 4 months ago

Besides a QB coach and some left over from Gill's staff ... who has he added?

I would shy from excitement until you hear who the D coach is ... otherwise, all is for not.

USA1BinLaden0 2 years, 4 months ago

dynamitehawk 2 years, 4 months ago

The shamhawks... no that doesn't work.

Andrew Washington 2 years, 4 months ago

Wow- who would have ever thought that our program would have so many ties to notre dame football!? The Fightin' jayhawks!

Rd33 2 years, 4 months ago

Best Looking KU Football Uniforms were from 2005.

Adidas with BLOCK numbers, Names, and the Red Stripe on the Helmet.

railer20 2 years, 4 months ago

I worry about his work at Akron, but the best QB there is probably half of what Webb is (jeesh thats bad).

JHAWK34TRUTH 2 years, 4 months ago

Please do something with the uniforms! Even though the chiefs have basic boring uniforms, they also have tradition. Kansas football needs a fresh new start and look. The big stripe on the pants looks tacky! Were an Adidas school not Russell!

Randy Maxwell 2 years, 4 months ago

He said he did not get it right when assembling a staff at ND so I doubt we will see much more of a carryover

ManginoRevenge 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm ok with being ND west in recruiting. I think bringing these guys on only solidifies the intrigue of coming to Kansas. CW personally already has so many thing going for him on the recruiting trail, and adding in a guy with 20 ND records to coach QB's with proven ability to coach up QB's along with adding one of the better ND lineman of all time adds a little more to the mix.

And the staff is JUST starting to come together. Keep it up CW.

1bluewhiteguy 2 years, 4 months ago

Coach Weis is making some good coaching additions and putting his team in place to spread the coaching responsibility for The University of Kansas Fightin' Irish, I mean Jayhawks football. Next year should be much improved.

hawkfan30 2 years, 4 months ago

I predict Webb will not see another snap at QB.

shelleysue 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't care either as long as he brings in a hell of a DC and Strength coach.

Randy Maxwell 2 years, 4 months ago

You would think this would help in the recruitment of Crist

longhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I could care less who the official QB coach is. If anyone thinks that Charlie won't be the primary guy working with the QB, they are mistaken.

ja3hawk 2 years, 4 months ago

at this rate our whole staff will be made up of ND alum....

Jeff Soisson 2 years, 4 months ago

2010 and 2011 Akron record 1-11 but I'll keep an open mind. Maybe he can sway the ND quarterback our way.

Hey, Charlie, bring back the names on the jerseys!

irvan moore 2 years, 4 months ago

it's starting to sound like a pretty good staff to me