Tuesday, December 13, 2011

KU football coach Charlie Weis names former Notre Dame QB Ron Powlus as quarterbacks coach

Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis added to his staff Tuesday afternoon by announcing the addition of former Notre Dame and Akron quarterbacks coach, Ron Powlus. Powlus will coach the quarterbacks at KU.

He joins Reggie Mitchell (RBs), who was held over from the previous staff and Tim Grunhard (O-Line), who was hired officially Tuesday morning.

Powlus joins the KU staff after serving as the passing game coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Akron for the past two seasons.

Prior to his time at Akron, he served as the quarterbacks coach at Notre Dame under Weis for three seasons and helped develop Jimmy Clausen into one of the most prolific passers in program history. In 2009, Clausen was named an All-American after completing a school-record 68 percent of his passes (289-for-425) for 3,722 yards and 28 touchdowns with four interceptions.

Powlus also worked with Weis on the Notre Dame staff as the director of player development in 2005 and 2006, helping the Fighting Irish secure a pair of top 10 recruiting classes.

Powlus was a four-year starter at Notre Dame from 1994-97, setting 20 school records during his time as a player. He started 44 games for the Irish in his career and completed 558-of-969 passes for 7,602 yards and 52 TDs.

He spent three seasons in professional football, playing for the Tennessee Oilers, Detroit Lions and Philadelphia Eagles from 1998-2000. He also spent one season playing for the Amsterdam Admirals in NFL Europe.

A native of Berwick, Pa., Powlus graduated from Notre Dame in 1997 with a bachelor’s degree in marketing from the school’s College of Business Administration.

Comments

irvan moore 2 years, 9 months ago

it's starting to sound like a pretty good staff to me

Jeff Soisson 2 years, 9 months ago

2010 and 2011 Akron record 1-11 but I'll keep an open mind. Maybe he can sway the ND quarterback our way.

Hey, Charlie, bring back the names on the jerseys!

Eric Dawson 2 years, 9 months ago

Only 1 guy so far, Powlus. Let's see who he gets for the rest of the staff before saying he is reassembling what didn't work for him before. I find it unlikely he will do that, as he said one of his biggest mistakes at ND was he didn't do a good job of hiring the right staff.

I'm still hoping he keeps David Beaty as receivers coach. And there is still talk out there of Jim Leavitt coming on as the DC once the 49ers are done playing this year. (Oh, I would so love that!)

OhioHawkfan 2 years, 9 months ago

Listening to the radio this morning, the played a recorded byte from Weis on a KC radio station yesterday, saying that he planned on retiring once this 5-yr deal is over.

I love the Weis hire, but not sure if its the best idea if he says from the beginning that he'll only be here 5 years. I'm hoping thats not the case, but he seemed pretty sure from his comments yesterday.

The guys on 1410 in Wichita this morning think that Leavitt will come in as DC now, with the thought being that he'll be the "heir-apparent" once Weis leaves in 5 years.

Kansashawk 2 years, 9 months ago

rumor flying around message boards. not saying I wouldn't like it, just sayin...

ja3hawk 2 years, 9 months ago

at this rate our whole staff will be made up of ND alum....

Funhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

The Notre Dame Jayhawks. The Fighting Irish Jayhawks. The Kansas Fighting Irish.... this could be fun..... crimson blue and green.....

neo_star 2 years, 9 months ago

Maybe you have to be Catholic or have a direct line to the Pope to play for this team. Charlie, a little diversity please; no hiring based solely on religion.

Bob Forer 2 years, 9 months ago

I hope you are just being sarcastic. Its not about religion. If it were, Weis would be the head coach at one of the many football oriented Catholic Universities not known as Notre Dame.

There is nothing unusual about hiring an known entity with whom you have already established a sound working relationship.

Bob Forer 2 years, 9 months ago

longhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

I could care less who the official QB coach is. If anyone thinks that Charlie won't be the primary guy working with the QB, they are mistaken.

ja3hawk 2 years, 9 months ago

I feel the same. Powlus will basically just echo what Charlie says and does. Charlie knows that Powlus will do this for him. Basically he trusts the guy.

SoCalAlum 2 years, 9 months ago

Given that he's already had a career at ND, if he came to KU, I guess it would be the second coming of Crist...

KGphoto 2 years, 9 months ago

Can we call him Touchdown Dayne?

gchawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Now that is clever, made me laugh!

gchawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Actually referring to SoCal.

waywardJay 2 years, 9 months ago

Second coming of Crist. that's funny.

shelleysue 2 years, 9 months ago

I don't care either as long as he brings in a hell of a DC and Strength coach.

Ted Toulouse 2 years, 9 months ago

+1 Hearing crickets chirpping on the DC front... Again, not worried about the offense right now.

hawkfan30 2 years, 9 months ago

I predict Webb will not see another snap at QB.

shelleysue 2 years, 9 months ago

I predict you're correct. I feel bad for the kid, but it has to be done.

Andrew Moore 2 years, 9 months ago

I predict Webb will play the 4th quarter against KSU in 2013.

ja3hawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Thank god... I mean Webb tried really hard, but he just wasn't very consistent.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm not going to pass judgment on anything any of our players did under Turner Gill. Webb certainly has some physical tools, maybe this staff can bring out the best in him!

hawkfan30 2 years, 9 months ago

He has some really bad habits that will be extremely difficult to break at this point. Like staring down your receiver, not throwing the ball away, forcing it into double/triple coverage. It seems most of the time Webb decided where he was going to throw the ball before the ball was ever snapped.

Plus if Crist comes he can mentor Brock B. things don't look good for Webb.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 9 months ago

I can't argue with any of those points, I'm just saying I'll reserve judgment 'til a better coaching staff has the kid for a while. Regardless, if the Crist kid does come to KU, I would be shocked if he doesn't start. He does have the advantage of being hand-picked by Weiss.

flyingfinn 2 years, 9 months ago

Totally agree with you 1990, Webb should be given the chance to be judged by a new coach and will either pass or fail under a coach that has groomed many very good offenses and quarterbacks.

jayhawkfirst 2 years, 9 months ago

Agree that Webb didn't look that good. But what can a QB do when Gill and Long decide that every series they are going to run on first and second down, and pass when its 3rd & 8? A more predictable offense than even Martyball.

JayDocMD 2 years, 9 months ago

Which site? I hadn't heard that yet.

Jason Keller 2 years, 9 months ago

He really wasn't our problem last year. He really wasn't. But, yes I believe you are correct.

1bluewhiteguy 2 years, 9 months ago

Coach Weis is making some good coaching additions and putting his team in place to spread the coaching responsibility for The University of Kansas Fightin' Irish, I mean Jayhawks football. Next year should be much improved.

ManginoRevenge 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm ok with being ND west in recruiting. I think bringing these guys on only solidifies the intrigue of coming to Kansas. CW personally already has so many thing going for him on the recruiting trail, and adding in a guy with 20 ND records to coach QB's with proven ability to coach up QB's along with adding one of the better ND lineman of all time adds a little more to the mix.

And the staff is JUST starting to come together. Keep it up CW.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Agree. Handful of guys he can trust, and then move on.

JHAWK34TRUTH 2 years, 9 months ago

Please do something with the uniforms! Even though the chiefs have basic boring uniforms, they also have tradition. Kansas football needs a fresh new start and look. The big stripe on the pants looks tacky! Were an Adidas school not Russell!

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 9 months ago

Just take the stripe off the pants and get some black cleats. I love the old-school look that the powers usually run out. You'd never accuse Nebraska, Penn State, Notre Dame, etc of being flashy.

JHAWK34TRUTH 2 years, 9 months ago

Exactly...Nebraska, Penn state, and Notre Dame all have tradition. Kansas football does not. Honestly, I wouldn't mind having the NY Giants uniforms. Just wear light gray pants and take that big stripe off. Done!

hawksquawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Personally, I love the powder blue throwbacks... But for the resemblance to unc, I'd say let's rock those all the time.

Raven7090 2 years, 9 months ago

Yes, imitate perfection (NY Football Giants) and call it done. Definitely bring back the names on the back of the jerseys.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

One other tiny thing to consider besides their uniforms - those teams have won a whole bunch of games over the years.

gardenjay 2 years, 9 months ago

...could put a little green shamrock on 'em....

GraniteHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Names on the back are a must, but would love to see the Jayhawk more predominate on our uniform or helmets as well. Develop a tougher looking hawk and put it on at least one side of the helmets and a hip on the pants

railer20 2 years, 9 months ago

I worry about his work at Akron, but the best QB there is probably half of what Webb is (jeesh thats bad).

Andrew Washington 2 years, 9 months ago

Wow- who would have ever thought that our program would have so many ties to notre dame football!? The Fightin' jayhawks!

Funhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

At Notre Dame West they exclaim, "The luck of the Irish Hawks!"

dynamitehawk 2 years, 9 months ago

The shamhawks... no that doesn't work.

Raven7090 2 years, 9 months ago

Jayrocks works! So does the "Fighting Manginos" (those were the days)

John Boyle 2 years, 9 months ago

Please tell me you were trying to be funny with this "noter" dame stuff. Please tell me you know it is actually Notre Dame!

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 9 months ago

1. .... nobody has enough Bama in them, except for LSU. To be honest, your statement makes no sense.

2. Of course they didnt do anything at Notre Dame, it was Notre Dame in 2009, not the silent film era. (Although they did get a BCS bowl and a NFL-ish QB, these aren't the ND standards.)

3. Your username is kinda in bad taste.

MartyrMangino 2 years, 9 months ago

"3. Your username is kinda in bad taste"... says the person with the South Park picture by their name. I would think somebody who was a fan of garbage wouldn't mind seeing a little trash every now and then. Let the man talk. He has as much right to be here as you.

Mike Anderson 2 years, 9 months ago

Besides a QB coach and some left over from Gill's staff ... who has he added?

I would shy from excitement until you hear who the D coach is ... otherwise, all is for not.

DocBean 2 years, 9 months ago

Grunhard wasn't left over from Gill's staff.

A lot of people are saying Leavitt for DC, and others were rooting for him for the head coach position. He'd be a homerun hire.

jhawk23 2 years, 9 months ago

Levitt is a Methzoo grad. Unacceptable. Try again.

sundancewierdo 2 years, 9 months ago

all for not, what? Or did you mean naught? I'm confused.

Danny Hernandez 2 years, 9 months ago

Has it ever been said that we fans are looking forward to football season during basketball season? I'm on the Head Coach Charlie Weis bandwagon

troutsee 2 years, 9 months ago

Definitely looking forward to football next year.

Charlotte_Jhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

It's probably prudent not to get overly optimistic about our football program. However, I have a sense that a "seismic shift" for the better has occurred. RCJH!!!

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 9 months ago

Agreed; I have no immediate expectations, but I'm considering picking up tickets to support the team just the same.

squawkhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

This smacks of an easy and quick hire versus a really good hire. I'm thinking that Weis really could have done better. Hopefully he hit a home run with the OC and DC positions.

manginodrh00lz 2 years, 9 months ago

CW's offense thrives off of a good QB - he needed a coach he could trust. Powlus is not the best but he understands the position and knows how to execute CW's mission.

blindrabbit 2 years, 9 months ago

Please don't get carried away with this Notre Dame Irish crap; never could understand the hype about them, except every East Coast media outlet falls all over them.. Several years ago, KU was the only school that committed to not playing them because of their exclusive TV contract. As it turned out KU did play ND as a kickoff to the season (about 2000) I think, we attended and KU got thrashed. All will be OK I guess if we don't play up that religious stuff and keep a pope and confessional booth off the sidelines. Rock Chalk

martyks 2 years, 9 months ago

At the time, the KU announcer stated it was a game where two teams were headed in the opposite direction. Little did he know, KU was passing ND in free fall as ND was falling down a stair well. Let's hope they both recover!

Jeffery Stadler 2 years, 9 months ago

I would love to see the speed and strength Jayhawk from the late 80's and early 90's. It looks like it might do some harm if it attacked someone. And names on jerseys

Bangkok_Jayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

How about Lou Holtz for DC?! Rudy for D Line?

redbull38 2 years, 9 months ago

Great hire. I'm impressed Charlie could snatch him away from Akron. Notre Dame was 16 - 21 with Ronny as QB coach. That and 2 years at Akron is a really impressive coaching resume. Well at least it is impressive compared to the o-line coaches resume which consistes of a few seasons coaching high school. I played high school football so I think I should apply for the defensive line coach position.

DevilHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

You are clearly missing the important factors.

Powlus was the QB coach at ND. You seem to be aware of that. Weis brought Powlus here, because Weis knows that Powlus will do what he (Weis) wants him (Powlus) to do.

Jimmy Clausen started as a true freshman beginning in the second game of the 2007 season. A season during which ND gave up an average of 27.25 pts during regulation but only scored 9 passing TDs. Split into wins and losses, ND gave up an average of 33.33 pts in losses, but only gave up an average of 9 pts in wins.

In Clausen's second year, he improved from a 56.3% completion rate to a 60.9% completion rate (+4.6%), and he improved from 7-6 (TD-INT) to 25-17. ND ended the regular season of 2008 at 6-6. They gave up an average of 17.28 pts in wins, but 25.83 pts in losses (during regulation).

In Clausen's third (and final year, because he went pro), he improved to a 68% completion rate (+7.1%) and 28-4 (TD-INT). ND went 6-6 that year, with no loss decided by more than a TD.

As for Grunhard: he won a national championship in college, was a longtime NFL player, and has done extremely well at Bishop Miege. That also ignores his ability to recruit in Kansas and in the KC area (where most D-1 caliber players opt to go to other programs).

Also, I think that you meant to type "consists" - not "consistes".

redbull38 2 years, 9 months ago

Nice spelling smack. You are clearly searching anything to help you beleive Charlie is making good choices. So you are saying that Notre Dame gave up more points when they lost than they did when they won. I never would have guessed that. That is probably why defense is improtatnt too. We should probably share that with Charlie since he didn't really focus on that at ND and has not hired a defensive assistant yet.

Gill nearly won a national championship in college, won 3 national championships as a coach. Gill turned around a horrible MAC team. None of that made him a good coach at this level. So now we are supposed to believe that Grunhard is going to be great just because he is Charlies buddy. Experience coaching at any college level is not important at all. With these kinds of selections Charlie is going to need all the luck of the irish he can get.

Breaking News: Kansas hires Lucky the Lucky Charms Leprechaun as defensive coordinator. When asked for comment Lucky said only "They're Always After Me Lucky Charms!".

Sam Brockert 2 years, 9 months ago

Grunhard was a freaking pro bowl lineman with the chiefs and he is coaching the offensive line...Not to mention he has won a state championship at Bishop Miege, which shows he can coach...So, let us go over this. He was a Pro Bowler at the position he is now coaching AND he has proven that he can get young men, high schoolers are even younger and more apt to not listening to authority than college kids, to listen and buy in to a system. So well, in fact, that he was able to win a State Championship. So I think him coaching the O lineman is a REALLY good hire.

JayDocMD 2 years, 9 months ago

Malzahn to Ark St. - definitely looks like he could have been KU's if we wanted him. Not as splashy as Weis but might've been a better long term hire...

middleoftheroader 2 years, 9 months ago

Head football coach Charlie Weis talked to the crowd at halftime of the #2 Ohio State Buckeyes @ #13 Kansas Jayhawks, and said ..." were up by 6,...now let's go beat Ohio State!". Wouldnt it be so awesome if he was talking about a KU football game?

redbull38 2 years, 9 months ago

Better set your sights on the likes of Akron, Toledo, and Ohio. KU will never compete with Ohio State on the football field. OSU hired Urban Meyer and KU hired Charlie. Surely you can understand there are several levels between the two.

I thought that we learned with Gill that over paying a coach by double does not make him a better coach. If Charlie could have found another head coaching job the best he could expect to be paid is half of what KU is paying and that is without the private jet.

Kansashawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Takes more energy to build someone up than it does tear them down. If the hire of Weis is so upsetting and considering it's a done deal, why are you even on here other than to spew your hatred?

Go away

redbull38 2 years, 9 months ago

I don't hate anyone. Charlie may just work out fine. I just think it is funny how excited people get over hiring a guy that no other school wanted. People who know what they are doing don't pay 2.5 million and unlimited personal use of a private jet to a guy no one else wants.

The ship has sailed on this one. Hope for the best. I just think it is unforgivable that KU made the same mistake as they did with Gill. If you believe Charlie is your guy then pay him what he is worth and promise him a raise at the first sign of sucess. If Charlie fails then he is going to walk with a big payday like Gill did.

nylifejayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

I wouldn't mind if Weis brought in everyone that was with him at Notre Dame. If he mirrors the success that he had there, I'd think that'd be great.

TXJAYHAWK7 2 years, 9 months ago

only part every one never mentions about the notre dame teams he had that were winning is they were all recruited by Ty Willingham nothing against the coach but thats a fact. Jayhawk football is Jayhawk football notre dame is notre dame lets get a good mix of coaches that can head into the south east and pick up some of those monster d and o linemen we need to win