Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Self: Weis has a commanding presence

Kansas coach Bill Self said he was finally able to talk at length with new football coach Charlie Weis on Sunday morning.

Both were at The Oread hotel in Lawrence, having breakfast with recruits.

“One thing I was very impressed (with): He was holding court, which I thought was great,” Self said Monday on his Hawk Talk radio show. “So he came in, and we visited for a long time. I can understand why fans would be excited.”

Self said Weis reminded him of Eddie Sutton when the hall-of-fame coach took the job at Oklahoma State in 1990. At the time, Self was an assistant on the OSU staff.

“It was amazing to me that coach Sutton carried himself in a way where there was an air of confidence and a presence — just a natural presence,” Self said. “It’s amazing to me how much that rubs off on your players. And I saw it rub off on those kids, that we went from average to winning the league in our first year.”

Self said Weis could potentially offer the same sort of benefit for KU’s football team.

“I think he brings an air of confidence that’ll be passed through his players and through his coaches that will be very positive for our guys,” Self said. “And I’m not in any way putting down Turner (Gill) at all, because it’s just different. It’s just a different deal. Coaches have different perspectives in how they do things, and I think Charlie’s perspective will be a little different from the way Turner did it, which was different than the way Mark (Mangino) did it.”

Self came away with the impression that Weis seemed “very, very, very excited to be here.”

“Certainly, he gives us a presence — somebody that brings name recognition with him,” Self said. “His résumé, I’ve studied it, it’s really impressive. You talk about being in five Super Bowls and won four and called plays in three or four of them and who he’s tutored ... There’s some impressive things with that.”

Weis led Notre Dame to a 35-27 record over five seasons from 2005-09. He was fired after the Fighting Irish went 6-6 in 2009.

“He seems hungry, and certainly, this is an opportunity for him to get some negatives out of his system,” Self said. “Which, to me, those are the most dangerous type of people — (the ones) that got something to prove, which I think is really good.

“I certainly commend our administration on this one for sure.”

Robinson wins Big 12 player of the week honor

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson won Big 12 player of the week honors, the conference announced Monday.

The 6-foot-10 junior averaged 23.5 points and nine rebounds during KU’s wins over Long Beach State and No. 2 Ohio State last week.

“For me to receive player of the week, I’m very thankful of that,” Robinson said, “and like I said, I don’t expect it to be my last one.”

Robinson, a Washington, D.C. native, scored a career-high 26 points against on Tuesday against Long Beach State to go with 11 rebounds.

Against OSU, Robinson scored 10 of KU’s final 12 points in a 21-point effort.

“He was really good against Long Beach State and did some good things. And against Ohio State, he did some great things,” Self said. “He’s gotten to the point where he’s trusting his shot more, but yet, against Ohio State, he made two of the best five post moves he’s probably made since he’s been here on campus.”

Last week, Robinson made 17 of 23 shots (74 percent) and 13 of his 18 free throws (72 percent).

More on Ohio State victory

Self was asked Monday morning during the Big 12 media teleconference if he had learned anything about his team following its 78-67 victory over Ohio State.

“I probably have a greater appreciation or respect for certain things,” Self said. “Kevin Young is a kid, I’ve been on his butt pretty good, wanting him to be more of an aggressive contributor on both ends. And I know now he can do it, without question. He can do it, which definitely adds to our depth element.

“I’ve never questioned Tyshawn (Taylor)’s toughness, but now, nobody can. ... And Elijah (Johnson), we know he can shoot the ball, but now, that should be a big confidence thing for him, going 5-of-7 from deep against Ohio State. And I do think that we guard pretty well defensively as a unit.”

Kansas in the polls

Following its win over Ohio State, KU moved up one spot to No. 12 in both the AP and ESPN/USA Today Coaches polls Monday.

The Buckeyes remained at No. 2 in both rankings.

Comments

martyks 2 years, 4 months ago

That's true, jhwksrock... I forgot... we're in church. We'll let K-State fans talk about his outrageously obese body. Can we mention the snot that he wipes off his nose with his sleeve every time the camera is on him?

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Weis is so fat that when he sits around the stadium...

He sits a-r-o-u-n-d the stadium!

Rimshot

Jack Wilson 2 years, 4 months ago

In advance, I just want to laugh at every Weis weight joke. Way too funny. I mean, man, what's more funny than a fat guy. I mean every day. Every time there is food around, joke about his weight, how much he will eat, if he's "hungry", etc. It's too funny. How can you not joke about it ... I mean every time. Geez, our coach can eat yours. Best ever. And every time Weis is brought up, let's add a fat a** joke. Or a cute play on words. It just adds to the discussion. I love the chuckle. Wish I had a belly that would giggle like Weis ... oops, now I did it. Hope Weis brings us the gift of some wins .. he certainly looks like Santa Claus, just needs a beard .. darn, did it again. If we want to keep Weis happy this holiday season, just leave a plate of cookies and a big glass of milk. I bet that's in his contract. Stop it. I hear Weis is expecting some wins .. and some twins. When's the due date? Ugh. I can't stop. I heard Weis favors Nike over Adidas and that could have been a hangup, but the last time he saw his shoes was like 1987, so he didn't make it an issue? It's a disease, I must tell fat jokes. Must tell fat jokes. I understand Weis loves to have three donuts, bacon, and a stack of pancakes ... then he likes to go to breakfast. This is really unreal. Weis is overweight and it is just funny any way you slice it .. especially if that slice is a pizza with the works. I need therapy, but funny is funny, right? I hear Weis said he plans to vacation at the Royal Gorge .. bet he thinks it's a buffet fit for a king. Why is this funny? I don't know. It just is. Did I tell you that Weis "looks hungry?" And because he's a fat dude, Self must regret saying it that way, or that it was a hilarious play on words? Way, way freaking funny.

I can't believe I'm tired of fat jokes, but I am.

Give me big boy Mangino over in shape Gill, any day.

But if Mangino was over anything, it'd be like a lunar eclipse ..... I can't stop.

martyks 2 years, 4 months ago

Self's words: "Weis looks hungry." Come on, Bill. Those were poorly chosen words. Charlie doesn't miss many meals.

Gregor Southard 2 years, 4 months ago

Like how Self called KU football players "our guys."

phogphan2000 2 years, 4 months ago

As far as rockchalkchalkin23 pts above about who should run the point I think EJ is less prone to a quick turnover, so coming out of an inbounds I would like the ball going to EJ. Also I like TT's ability to make plays if he's getting the ball off a screen with any kind of advantage rather than having to force it against his man one on one straight up. In transition though you just go to whoever is ready to push.

Tharpe will get a chance to run the offense against Davidson, probably from off the bench, but it makes no difference. EJ will also gain confidence if he starts at PG w/o TT and does a good job of it.

Young had a great game, it was one game, yes he needs more opportunities but it doesn't matter if you start him or Teahan in the next one, one of those two plus Tharpe plus Wesley off the bench gives us a full rotation with everyone one of the 8 players getting 15+ minutes.

You know what's great about TT, we know he can miss a game or two and come right back in and do his thing. Let's not forget how wonderful it is to have a guy with 4 yrs of starting experience.

Also with all the talk about Tharpe and Young, this is a great chance for Releford to show what he can do. His defense has been amazing, if he can be more consistent on offense he's got the potential to be a force driving the ball and knocking down jumpers.

If KU gets offensive production from 3 or more guys each night it results in another Big12 title. If we end up with games where other people are off and it's just TT and TRob making things happen on offense KU is incredibly vulnerable.

bennybob 2 years, 4 months ago

Wasn't Self just as "excited" about Mangino and Gill?

I don't know why LJW bothers to print these stories, he has to back up his AD and University, you could hire my high school JV football coach and Self would say it was a good move.

He's never going to be honest with the media on these situations.

hihawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Baylor # 7 and Missouri # 8, the big 12 is looking pretty good. Missoui is a pretty good team and looks to be headed for the big time. Can KU hold it together, well we will see.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 4 months ago

1. On Weis -- Let's be clear, here .. there is only one "Boss" .. only one guy with the ring that counts .. only one top dog .. Coach Self. If Zenger or any other KU adminstrator feels otherwise, then they aren't going to be in their job too long.
  2. BlownJay - I wish KY was Tyler Honeycutt. Brady is still having nightmares. I would expect Teahan to start, but KY getting 25 minutes is just as good as a start. Actually, I'd start Teahan vs. Davidson, play Tharpe 20 minutes, and if Tharpe is serviceable, then I'd start him the next game (assuming TT is still out).
  3. Saw the comment above from Clarkee22 about EJ better at the two for spotting up for the three. I generally agree, but EJ is very effective on the top of the key three. I think he'd get just as many looks from the point. Unless Tharpe's in there, EJ will have to run the point .. we have no one else.
  4. From the don't be surprised category .. don't be surprised if Wesley comes off the bench Monday before KY. Not saying it will happen, but don't be surprised.
  5. Second installment from the don't be surprised category .. don't be surprised if KY only plays 10 minutes vs Davidson. Self is a stubborn guy, and may not change quite as quickly based on this past game's performance.
  6. Third installment from the don't be surprised category .. don't be surprised if Tharpe plays surprisingly well on the offensive end, once he actually gets another chance. Meaning, a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio (unheard of in these parts) and reasonable scoring. Of course, most here will be watching the defense, as we know that will be a huge factor in Self's future playing time decisions.
  7. Final installment from the don't be surprised category .. don't be surprised if we lose Monday vs. Davidson. I'm not bold enough to predict it. But this is a perfect storm .. TT out, coming off of a big win, away from home (Sprint Center), coming off of a 9 day lay-off, and vs. the dreaded mid-major. Davidson played a great game vs. Vanderbilt, lost by 13 at Duke, but was leading at halftime. We'll see how we react.

tom123kufan 2 years, 4 months ago

Naw Self is here to stay. He knows he is the foundation of the athletic department, success from the football team is not going to ever change that. I really doubt that he lays awake at night wondering which department he is going to overshadow next. Too classy of a guy. Too smart of a guy. Self gets it.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 4 months ago

Love this article, Jesse! Funny--when Bill speaks, people listen. Now, we can say this same thing about our new football coach, Charlie Weis.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Self gets it. Self knows he is on the outside. He is putting a good spin on things, but notice that he is setting up expectations for Chollie. I love it!

Chollie is going to lose a bunch of Gill's players, start way behind in recruiting, and Self is setting up expectations of big improvement. H

Heck, Chollie, if Coach Sutton came in and turned OSU hoops around and won the conference, you ought to be able to do the same here with football.

If Zenger doesn't start kissing Self's a$$ quick, Self is going to be dialing Boone Pickens, the Spurs and the Thunder and saying who wants me?

Zenger is really really about to screw things up royally.

Fire Zenger now.

Before Self goes to Stillwater just to regularly beat the shizz out of KU.

Wake up and smell the coffee, people.

tom123kufan 2 years, 4 months ago

Over the past 20 years it has been proven over and over that in any sport dramatic change can occur, but will only happen with great coaches, great assistant coaches and some good talent, which is a direct reflection of the coaching staff bringing in the right kids. I feel that KU finally has a system that puts them in a good position to build and grow as an athletic department with a top notch basketball program and a very competitive football program which in time hopefully will end up being a top notch football program. It all starts at the top, we have that now I think. I can't wait to see how the cards fall! Rock Chalk!

kupride4u 2 years, 4 months ago

That made me laugh, and throw up a little in my mouth, all at the same time!

hawksince51 2 years, 4 months ago

What did the coaches order? Ham and eggs for Bill, fruit plate for Charlie?

IrishDaddy 2 years, 4 months ago

Presence?

Some call it OBESITY!

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Interesting.

Self was completely left out. No apparent normal consensus building.

Is Self now just another coach in the emerging regime of Zenger?

Money never sleeps

Power never keeps.

Watch out Bill.

Once upon a time, there was a king served on the one hand by a devious Cardinal Richelieu of divided loyalties and on the other by an unquestionably loyal band of musketeers commanded by the brilliant Monsieur de Treville. He knew the king to be good, but also sometimes too easily flattered and deceived by the Cardinal. His band of musketeers saved the king many times, but always the king fell prey again to the Cardinal's intrigues. The moral to the story was always the same. The king must always be saved from him self by brave men of undivided loyalties serving the greater good, or the tendency to intrigue of those like the Cardinal serving two masters will undo the kingdom.

Rock Chalk

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

I didn't think it would take coach Self this long to realize that Kevin Young is a match-up advantage nightmare for opposing teams. He reminds me a lot of Tyler Honeycutt from UCLA. If he can prove to shoot 40%+ from Trey he is going to be dangerous. He seems to have very soft hands and can read the ball off of the rim very well also. He sees the open spaces around the rim and knows now to cut through them and attack them rim.

If Ty is out this week, I'd like to see
1. EJ 2. TReleford 3. Young 4. TRob 5. Withey

Rock Chalk!

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

If Ty is out this week, I'd like to see
1. EJ 2. TReleford 3. Young 4. TRob 5. Withey

Rock Chalk!

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

Look at Bill Self using Coach Weis as a a recruiting tool.

....as he sits at the table at Mr. Oread he gestures to his 5 star recruit--"And over there is Coach Weis with 4 superbowl rings on his right hand." :)

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 4 months ago

Bill and Charlie, just a couple of guy's guys sitting around eating breakfast. Doesn't this just somehow feel better?

Charlie won't even see a player in a uniform for months. But, his presence has already made the program better. Bill, on the other hand, is slugging away in what is suppoosed to be a "rebuilding" year moving up in the polls.

.......Jayhawk Pride abounds!

Jayhawks Rock 2 years, 4 months ago

To the players. I have been very very pleased with your progress this year. Keep on listening to the coaches, lift your chins up, and play some awesome ball. I think that you will surprise a lot of teams come March. Maybe even six of them. RCJH.

kuproud96 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree that EJ should run the point. TT has clearly demonstrated that he is unable to concentrate comensurate with the demands of the point guard position. Also just curious as to why the coaches are prefaced with HC, is that not implied? Seems redundant, seeing as we use abreviations for efficency. Why dont we use it for the players? PFTR or SGCT or QBJW just wondering aloud?

Clarkeee22 2 years, 4 months ago

I think Self knows what he is doing. He sees more in everyday practice than we do. EJ needs to be at the 2 with the way he can catch and shoot the three ball. we can bring the ball up by committee but as far as our primary point guard, when healthy will be and should be Ty. This team will go as far as Ty will take us.

rockchalkchalkin23 2 years, 4 months ago

Please excuse my error..... we don't lost should be we don't lose

rockchalkchalkin23 2 years, 4 months ago

Coach Self

I have two wishes for christmas and you are the guy who can grant them. It looks like you may grant this wish already but i'll state it anyway.

1. Stop being so hard on Kev and play him more. Basketball is a game of energy and vision. He has plenty of both. In my opinion, we don't lost to duke if he plays. I like him coming off the bench. He provides a spark, which is a major piece to a great team. Sherron Collins 2007-2008 for example. I remember one of Bud Stallworth's keys to beating the Jayhawks was "hope Sherron Collins is injured." Hilarious, but true.

2. Put EJ at the point. a. His assist/turnover ratio. b. He has the patience and vision to speed up or slow down the offense when necessary. In my opinion, he plays better when he controls the ball. c. He is a better on ball defender. He knows what the effect of disrupting their pg does to their team. d. He is a great passer. He's better at setting up and throwing oops than Ty. e. You could bring back the subtle pass from the top, then a straight cut to the basket for the oop. f. You wanted the ball in EJ's hands when Ty was rushing it late in the OSU game. If it was better then, I believe it's better overall. Did you happen to hear Jay Bilas say we were rushed?

Someone recently responded to a post of mine that Ty should be the 1 because he has better "ballhandling chops." I think Ty is great at penetrating the paint. He should be using his "ballhandling chops" to chop up the defense with his quick first step, overall speed, and his ability to draw fouls. With his ft and 3pt shooting this year, and his scoring ability period, I think he is most effective at the 2. Ty's strongest asset is scoring. EJ's is passing.

EJ on the point this year would also be a head start for next year. Two positives, one decision.

gardenjay 2 years, 4 months ago

We moved up one spot, what a rip. I predict with KU success this will become a disproportionately low move up the ladder as the season goes along, and the sports writers who wear plaid socks will be forced to leap us above some of their precious east-coast gimmes.

Funhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Premonition: big blue jersey with a white zero, being unfurled from the rafters. Add to it another team banner. These fun guys this year really want to please the fans. - every one of them. .........wouldn't it be fun to play Kentucky again at the end of the year.

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 4 months ago

Can't wait to see some of the recruits HCCW brings in.

We need a big time defensive coordinator too. Just let HCCW run the offense...we don't need a coordinator on the offense.

Glad to hear that chances are David Beaty is staying.