Monday, December 12, 2011

Fun in the Fieldhouse: Allen was rockin’ for big showdown with Ohio State

Kansas guard Elijah Johnson gets up to slap hands with the students after the Jayhawks' 78-67 win over Ohio State on Saturday, Dec. 10, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

photo

A KU student — one of a group of students spelling out "Go KU Jayhawks!" — puts the exclamation point on Kansas' 78-67 victory over No. 2-ranked Ohio State University at Allen Fieldhouse, Dec. 10, 2011.

Thousands of fans — including a batch of students who painted their faces and bodies — arrived a couple of hours early for Saturday’s Kansas-Ohio State nonconference basketball matinee in Allen Fieldhouse.

A few hundred fans, mostly adults and their children, stayed late, gathering autographs from the Jayhawks outside the northwest tunnel following a pulsating 78-67 victory.

As coach Bill Self said, the atmosphere was “juiced” on a day No. 13-rated KU claimed its seventh victory against two losses and dropped No. 2 Ohio State to 8-1.

“I mean, it’s almost indescribable,” KU junior center Jeff Withey said of playing before 16,300 fans in the fieldhouse on a day like Saturday.

“It’s so loud, you can’t think. It’s just a great place to play. There’s something about this place when a team comes in … they definitely have to ‘Beware of the Phog.’”

KU’s big man scored two points and grabbed seven rebounds while logging 21 minutes. He was able to take an extra breather or two with junior forward Kevin Young having his breakout game as a Jayhawk (14 points, four boards, 14 minutes).

“Kevin played great,” Withey said. “We all know he can play like that from watching him at practice. He came out, and he was ready to play today. He showed everybody he can play.”

The former Loyola Marymount forward hit six of eight shots, including two of three from three.

As everybody knows, Ohio State sophomore standout Jared Sullinger was not in the game.

“I was shocked,” KU’s Withey said of Sullinger missing the contest because of back spasms. “I thought he was definitely going to play this game. I figured he’d play no matter what. It had to be something really bad for him to not come out. I feel bad for him not being able to play. It was definitely a letdown not to go against him. You go through practice planning your game plan around him. It was a letdown, but they had other guys step up. It was a great win.”

Withey said the Jayhawks “are not going to apologize for one of their guys not playing. If one of our guys was not playing, it would have been the same thing. We played tough. We beat the No. 2 team in the nation. It was a great thing.”

Now the Jayhawks prepare for Davidson (8 p.m., Dec. 19, Sprint Center) ... and final exams.

“It’ll be tough. I have a lot of papers to write. It’ll be all right, though,” Withey said of this week’s finals. “I’ve got to get on that.”

KU junior Tyshawn Taylor may miss the Davidson game following Sunday’s surgery to repair torn meniscus in his right leg. Self said freshman Naadir Tharpe would take reps with the first team at practice as Tharpe figures to back Elijah Johnson at the point if Taylor can’t play.

Taylor’s ticketed to miss between one and three weeks.

“This means a lot more to Naadir more so than me,” said KU’s Johnson, who hit five threes on Saturday versus Ohio State, “because I’m playing 30, 35 minutes regardless. What I give is what I give. I feel like Naadir can help pick up some of the slack and help us bring the ball up and not turn the ball over like we have been.”

Asked what Tharpe needs to improve on, Self said: “Everything. He’s just a freshman coming in here. He has to work on everything.”

Self said Sunday that Taylor’s surgery was a success.

“Tyshawn had surgery this morning, and I spoke with the doctors and it went as well as expected,” Self said in a release. “Nothing had changed in the time frame for recovery, which is one to three weeks. He will be up and around tomorrow morning and will be back in the shortest time possible. The time for recovery depends on swelling and how he reacts to rehab.”

Comments

rockchalkchalkin23 2 years, 9 months ago

I love the energy you bring Kev, it's game changing. I'm glad you finally got the time to show what you can bring to the team in game time. I think if you would have played in the Kentucky and or Duke game it would have made a difference. You have 2 recorded minutes in our two losses. Keep it up with the heart and energy you bring to the court.

Ohiohawkfan6188 2 years, 9 months ago

But please work on your perimeter defense!

tical523 2 years, 9 months ago

I have been on this soap box the whole season, the dudes favorite player is Dennis Rodman. . . THE WILL TO WIN, never expecting to win because the jersey says KANSAS on the front, no entitlement. I want him on my team!!

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 9 months ago

Young AND Wesley! Wesely needs to work on fouling and Young on defense.. But two nice surprises.

martyks 2 years, 9 months ago

Wesley doesn't need to work on fouling. He's doing a lot of that without even trying. Move your feet, young man.

pepper_bar 2 years, 9 months ago

"A KU student — one of a group of students spelling out "Go KU Jayhawks!" — puts the explanation mark on Kansas' 78-67 victory over No. 2-ranked Ohio State University at Allen Fieldhouse, Dec. 10, 2011."

"Explanation mark"?

phi4life940 2 years, 9 months ago

Explaning how awesome we are, duh.

BainDread 2 years, 9 months ago

That's the little thingy that LJW puts at the end of a sentence when they want to empathize something.

Keith Kienzle 2 years, 9 months ago

Only when covering expedition games

martyks 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm in Sarah Palin la la land! (explanation mark... sick)

DDDHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

pepper_bar was questioning the use of the wrong word. It is "exclamation" point, not "explanation" point. Good eye!

yates33333 2 years, 9 months ago

LJW must have changed it. It now says "exclamation point." !!!!!!!!!!!

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

Naadir gets to get better at everything.

Lucky Naadir.

Its great to be young and doing so much getting better.

Don't get overwhelmed, NT.

One thing Ata time.

Day after day.

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 9 months ago

KY's improvement is likely another example of positive feedback from Danny Manning's coaching. If I was a 6 ft 10 post player with NBA potential...there is no other school or coach that I would put my faith in prepping for the NBA.

Jeffery Barrett 2 years, 9 months ago

Please don't abbreviate Kevin Young's name with his initials.

jhox 2 years, 9 months ago

But you have to admit he played pretty "slick" on Saturday.

jhox 2 years, 9 months ago

But you have to admit he played pretty "slick" on Saturday.

Alohahawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Great win over Ohio State. And almost as pleasant a win was Indiana over Kenstinky.

Imagine there will be numerous teams with #1 votes, but when the new rankings come out today, the top teams will most likely look like this: 1. Syracuse 2. Louisville 3. Kenstinky 4. North Carolina 5. Duke Next four, in no particular order: Baylor, Mizzery, Connecticut and Xavier. Even with Taylor's injury, KU might make it to #10. If not, at least #12 in both major polls.

Alohahawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Holy Buck Nuts, Batman. I left out Ohio State. Put them at #5, since they trounced Duke.

KGphoto 2 years, 9 months ago

Seems ridiculous that a 2-loss powder blue team that lost to UNLV could jump a team who's only loss came to #13 in AFH without their star player, but you're probably right. After all, they did jump from #5 to #4 after losing to Kensucky.

bad_dog 2 years, 9 months ago

It was interesting to note NC struggled with Long Beach State on Saturday and had to rally to win by 6. Certainly validates the talent of LBS as well as our efforts against them on Tuesday.

dgaskill 2 years, 9 months ago

Wow it's a good thing KU didn't beat a team lower than #2 in the Poll's, They might have moved KU down to 14 or 15

KansasComet 2 years, 9 months ago

Kevin Young did not improve. He could already play basketball. He just needed to find his role and get more minutes. The way he sets screens, rebounds, and scores game changing buckets, that's not an improvement, that's talent and experience.

KansasComet 2 years, 9 months ago

Kevin Young could play basketball before he got to KU. No one from KU made this young man a basketball player. I am not taking anything away from Danny Manning. This young man had skills before he got here, that's all I am saying.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 9 months ago

None at all? Working w/Manning hasn't helped him in any way? I can't agree.

KansasComet 2 years, 9 months ago

Robert Brock 2 years, 9 months ago

Fire Bedore (and Keegan, of course).

AsadZ 2 years, 9 months ago

After reading the above I was wondering how many coaches will make a similar comment about their freshmen players. I know Calapri will never make it. I can understand that highly ranked recruits don't want to listen such comments but I really appreciate and admire HCBS on shooting straight with recruits and players.

It has been debated by many, and at times, I had even wondered about HCBS playing time philosphy. But it is clear to me that HCBS will not jeopradize any game to get PT to players even if it means valuable experience down the road. Guys like Naadir Tharpe, Kevin Young will have to really earn their minutes. KY has certainly earned it with his performances and now its Nadir's turn to do the same.

DrPepper 2 years, 9 months ago

I think you are wrong about this. Calipari screams and cusses at his players too. Calipari is no pushover... he is the man in charge.

AsadZ 2 years, 9 months ago

I believe you have misunderstood my point. I did not say that Cali does not cuss his players. I was specifically saying that Cali would not make that type of comment about his Freshmen, and I was not implying that NT had taken this in a wrong way either.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 9 months ago

Calipari has in fact made public comments like that about his freshman players.

He uses is at a motivation tactic for them. I don't like him, and wouldn't know what he says about his players except that he made comments almost exactly like Coach Self's after UK beat us in MSG...

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 9 months ago

he does not however hold his young players out of the game. For better of worse. Self's philosophy of making players earn their minutes in practice I believe is good, but Self has a tendency to take it to the extreme, which may be arguably his biggest fault.

martyks 2 years, 9 months ago

I seriously doubt that NT took it negatively. He probably acknowledges that he has to work on everything. Self is absolutely right. And I really detest seeing coaches give playing time just to give it. Roy used to do that here. Sometimes, it made no sense. But they had a rotation and they were sticking to it. It was supposed to get the team ready for tournament time. We could research how great those years were with Roy's plan, but my memory of those days was, the team played loose and had fun until their first tournament game and then, they were hardly even recognizable... tight as a drum.

rockchalkchalkin23 2 years, 9 months ago

It's hard to perform when you don't play. I think if he gave the players a 1 handicap on turnovers, results would come faster. They make what he sees as an expected mistake and he yanks them. The more this happens the more worried they are about not making a mistake when they get playing time. Then when they are on the bench they might think, "Ty had 11 turnovers but I get 1 and don't play?" Players don't play efficiently when this happens. I agree with tenacious coaching, if it makes sense. Give the leash some slack coach.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 9 months ago

Totally nonexpert winter break team evaluations:

1] Surprises: Jeff [becoming a force in the middle at both ends] Conner [plant those feet and let'er fly] KY [HCBS just found another warrior]

2] They are who they are: Tyshawn [like a roller coaster ride, lots of ups and downs but never dull - 7/8 into his college career, he is who he is] TRob [Monster, Beast, All-American, Lottery...and he is just going to get better]

3] Awaiting expected results: Travis [although showing positive signs] Elijah [although showing positive signs] Justin [ reduce the fouls and you got a "D" monster]

4] Incomplete: Naadir [we should know soon enough] Mervin [transfer anyone?]

5] What else should we have expected: HCBS and Staff [potential 11-2 by conf. play, near Top Ten, #12 class for 2012 plus Jamari and BenMac]

6] What never changes: The magic of the Phog at Allen The passion of Kansas nation Missouri will always suck!!

jaybate 2 years, 9 months ago

Copy & paste...

Unless some difference maker requires his ride before he matures. As Conner proves, every team needs a project wing that shoots 40 % eventually.

Go Merv, go!

AsadZ 2 years, 9 months ago

+1. I am not sure why there is negative talk of his transfer. If he is smart and has a head between his shoulders he will figure out how players develop at KU, look at guys like Brady, Travis, Teahan, sitting on bench but working and practicing hard with senior players in their earlier years, and now getting dividends for their hard work.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 9 months ago

Nice breakdown..I have Wesley as a surprise..but agree 100% on his fouling. He will be very tough to move out of a starting position next year.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 9 months ago

I would flip Kevin Young and Justin Wesley. Overall, I'd say Wesley is a surprise, and Young though he had one excellent game hasn't otherwise proven his potential.

I expect both of them this year to be huge for us.

In fact I posted way back before the season that they would be a two-headed monster. JW as the high energy undersized rebounder and defensize player (a la the Worm) and Young as the offensive mismatch who can go in and alter the other teams gameplan with his versatility.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 9 months ago

this was in response to a Frankenstein post by Jaybate.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 9 months ago

I will amend the comment: Mervin [the future has yet to be written!!]

WilburNether 2 years, 9 months ago

"He was able to take an extra breather or two with junior forward Kevin Young having his breakout game as a Jayhawk (14 points, four boards, 14 minutes)."

Um...according to the box score, Young played 24 minutes, not 14.

tical523 2 years, 9 months ago

Wither had more than two points (6th paragraph). Just sayin he had a couple real nice turnaround jumpers, real nice. . . .would like to see more.

Jim Roth 2 years, 9 months ago

Withey was 1 for 2 Saturday, with no free throws, for 2 pts. I think you're remembering the Long Beach St game, when he scored 13 (and looked nice doing it). Like Robinson said, maybe they need to punch him in the face before every game!

Joe Baker 2 years, 9 months ago

How many shots did he alter in the lane and he stepped way out and altered a trey? His D lead to O.

tical523 2 years, 9 months ago

You are exactly right, the Bill Self show threw me off. Sorry.

danno1313 2 years, 9 months ago

The HOUSE was rocking on Saturday! My ears were bleeding!

Loved it!

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

The Rock Chalk Jayhawk chant was really loud at the end. I don't know if it was the loudest ever, but it was loud. I have been watching/attending games since well, since 1975. It was a sweet win, for sure.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 9 months ago

Nothing gets the juices flowing like a loud RC chant. Personally, while I have heard it loud countless times in Allen, my fondest memory of the chant was at the end of the 2005 Misery football game at Memorial. That was Aqib Talib's coming out party and the place was deafening!!!

thebruced 2 years, 9 months ago

I have a 20 month old boy. He's a hoot. He has "My first Kansas book," which is all about KU. There's one page that has the Rock Chalk Chant and I sing it to him. He loves it. He runs and grabs that book, sits in my lap and then tries to skip ahead to that page. Then, when I start the chant, he starts singing and ends with a "aaaay uuuuuh!"

We were watching the game Saturday, and when the crowd got really loud with the chant, he recognized it, got excited and started singing. I had my doubts about being a father, but I'm doing a helluva job.

Joe Baker 2 years, 9 months ago

Take that King James. Where do you want to attend Chris Walker? Yeah, Yeah, Sullinger didn't play and that maybe a bigger problem than the OSU bball program would like to divulge. If I were an OSU fan, I would be very concerned as to why my AA player isn't playing a little bit or at least limited time.

No. I think it was a five fold purpose. I don't think Matta wanted to risk Sullinger, first and foremost. I also think he didn't want to expose Sullinger to TRob, to a degree. if Sullinger plays and KU wins, it hurts them more. It was a political move on Matta's part to anticipate a KU win.

Alohahawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Mr. "Motto" Matta's ploy probably worked. In both major polls: Ohio State is still # 2, with some votes for #1. Syracuse is #1 at 10 - 0.

KU is #12 in both polls. Baylor and Mizzery are both ranked ahead of KU.

To this point KU has earned a 3 seed in the NCAA tourney. Considering that the Jayhawks have played 3 of nine games against the top (ranked 6 or 7) teams in the polls, not bad, in a down year for KU. Speaks highly for our coaching staff.

Get KU's bench up to snuff and we should improve. Run the pre-season games and KU is 11 - 2. In the conference - win the "gimmes", and split the difficult road games (Baylor, Texas, Mizzery, and Texas A&M). KU should still get a 3 seed. Maybe end the regular season at 27 - 4.

RCJHKU!!!

Joe Baker 2 years, 9 months ago

We all know that rankings mean nothing. Yeah, you gotta be impressed so far with Fizzou and the Teddy Bears SOS. LOL...Oh btw, I was eating a Christmas cupcake the other day at a party and thought of tiggers and teddys. Anyway, my cupcake was good, sweet and enjoyed it for a short time. That's the problem with cupcakes. They do end and you have to eat real food. Sometimes, they can make you sick and fat if you eat too many.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

No surprise there. After they lost to Miami (at the time, winless) and Denver Broncos (big rival) at Arrowhead in back-to-back home games, I said this is probably his last year at KC. I was kinda close.

KUbsee69 2 years, 9 months ago

Polls are out. OSU stays at #2 ... KU moves up one to #12. What a joke.

tical523 2 years, 9 months ago

Who cares? And I am not trying to be sarcastic or a jerk, but really who cares? There is no substance to polls especially this early, I am ready to watch this team really come together and make a deep run in the dance even if we are a 4 or 5 seed!!!!

JD Roth 2 years, 9 months ago

With some first place votes. Didn't KU just beat them double digits?? Apparently their games don't count if Sullinger doesn't play. lol...

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 9 months ago

Good to see the cbb polls are just as worthless as football. How is Pitt ahead of Georgetown? How is IU not in the top ten, undefeated with a win over UK? Just like football the pollsters just go by their opinions which have nothing to do with actual results on the court.

jsillyghawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Who knew...

... two years ago that TRob (40%FT) and TRel (53%FT), then freshmen, would salvage a mediocre team performance on free throws by shooting 7-8 and 3-4 respectively from the line? ... before this game that the Hawks would shoot threes at better than 50% on a night when Teahan was 1-5?

There are plenty of "who knew?"s to point to this year, and hopefully they will continue to be as positive as these two that stood out to me on Saturday (I don't want to see "Who knew TT would be the first Jayhawk to record a triple-double [Pts, Asts, TOs] this year?" even if the TT detractors would be proud to say they saw it coming). These pleasant surprises speak a lot to the individual commitment certain individuals have made this year and past years ... and, of course, to the effects of a quality coaching staff dedicated to developing a talented and deep team. There's plenty to get excited about this year.

chriz 2 years, 9 months ago

Did anyone else infer Elijah's comments to say that we may not have as many turnovers with Naadir as we do with Tyshawn?

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 9 months ago

came off a little bit that way, but I'm pretty sure he's just hoping they play well

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Survey q's for other users

1. Would KU of still won if Sullinger would have played (keep in mind: he is in poor help and would have striggled, also other Buckeys such as Thomas would not have scored as much)

2. During the next two games with Tyshawn out, will Tharpe play major minutes off the bench, or will he barely play and let Elija, Connor, and Travis play virtually the whole game as the guards?

3. Young had a great game against Ohio St saturday. How well does that performance hold? It is clear that he will most likely be the first big off the bench, but will he ever get to the point were he plays that well most games?

Ryan Michael 2 years, 9 months ago

I think Self understands the importance of having Tharpe play and work through some jitters... I bet he plays 20+ minutes in the next game.

Young, I think Young earned himself a starting spot in the next game to be honest. Even if it's only for one game, that kid deserves a reward for the heart he put on display in that game. I honestly don't know if our team would have held it together if he didn't do what he did, when he did.

It seemed like right when we were about to fall apart mentally, he'd nail something and bring back the energy.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 9 months ago

1) Nobody knows and it's unfortunate. I think as well as EJ and Young played I'd give a slight edge to KU still pulling it off. Hard to say if KU could have/would have stepped up more if Sullinger had played, also hard to say if they would have had trouble with a tighter game. I will say this, gambling spread was at OSU -3.5 when it looked like Sullinger would play, dropped to -1 when it looked like he might not, went to even pick'em when it was announced he would not play. So Vegas at most thought it was good for 4-5pts apparently, or the gamblers themselves did.

2) Tharpe should play a lot of minutes and hopefully things start to click. I didn't want to believe Connor is a defensive liability but it's starting to look that way. Of course if you're being compared to the starters you aren't gonna look like a real good defender, 'cause all the starters can play D. He'll D-up against some of the competition we have coming up. Games he's been exposed were against uber-athletes, and we need his shot making abilities to have a great year.

3) Wesley is still looking strong, I think if I were HCBS it would depend on who I was needing them to guard. Obviously Young showed a great amount of offensive potential, but Wesley has got some great hops finishing around the rim and can handle bigger players in the paint I think.

Alohahawk 2 years, 9 months ago

If Withey continues to improve, especially if he starts scoring a few more to take some pressure off TRob, our bigs will prove to be a great foundation as KU moves forward this season. Amazing the free throw percentages for these two. If they continue at those rates, "Hack a Shaq" fouling won't help KU's opponents. A major preseason concern has, so far, been eliminated.

With more practices under their belts, the players learn teamwork and each other's moves and capabilities. They memorize, almost by rote, the x's and o's and the defensive setups preached by the coach. In that sense KU's teamwork, both sides of the ball, seems to be progressing along nicely.

Along with directions from the bench, the point guards should be familiar enough with those x's and o's to guide their teammates into and through each new possession. They should already know each of their teammate's limitations, having scrimmaged with them over the summer and this season, and with some, in game-time situations over previous seasons.

A quarter of this season is now past. Because of Taylor's, and somewhat Johnson's, in-game experience they were considered by most to be the foundation for this year's team. It's time KU's point guards, both TT and Johnson, take the bull (or in this case, the Jayhawks) by the tail and face the situation, living up to their preseason hype and expectations. At times, both have shown brilliance. They just need to be more consistent in a positive way. You hear me guys? Be Consistent!!!

Alohahawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Alohahawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Gawd, I hate when a post doesn't show, so you post it a second time and it comes up twice. Sorry about that.

jhawkr 2 years, 9 months ago

A win is a win, but can we continue to improve up through Big 12 play ? That is the question .......

Sorry, TTaylor is hurt and hope he returns sooner then later. But I also hope he learns to quit trying to do so much and go with the flow of the game. If he is on great, if not control the turnovers and involve everyone else. Driving to the bucket to get fouled only to miss close to half your FT's is not what we need.

Thank god for EJ and Kevin Young. They both played great and Young against a quality opponent really stepped up. Keep bringing it ! By the way, why is he listed on our roster as a 6-8 GUARD ?? He played big and definitely bigger then the 7 footer Withey.

As for Withey well he is what he is ........ A 7 footer getting more minutes, but he continues to play so weak under the bucket. When guards are knocking you around and taking the ball away, I have to still question his strength. Playing with a scowl on your face is not really intimidating anyone Mr. Withey ........