Saturday, December 10, 2011

‘Power surge’: KU introduces ‘old ball coach’ Charlie Weis to fix, fire-up program

Charlie Weis laughs as he sits at a table with Kansas University athletic director Sheahon Zenger and Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little during a news conference in which Weis was announced as the new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Charlie Weis press conference

Charlie Weis was introduced as Kansas University's new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Download podcast

Videos

Charlie Weis introduced as Kansas head football coach

video thumbnail

Kansas University chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little and athletic director Sheahon Zenger introduced Charlie Weis as KU's new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Players surprised by, happy with Weis hire

Kansas football players Toben Opurum, Kale Pick and Tanner Hawkinson gave their thoughts on the hiring of Charlie Weis as their new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Friday evening, in Mrkonic Auditorium at Kansas University’s Anderson Family Football Complex, new KU football coach Charlie Weis was asked a variety of questions on topics ranging from his time at Notre Dame and in the huddle with Tom Brady in the NFL, to why he came to Kansas or even had interest in becoming a head coach again.

While nearly all of Weis’ answers both charmed and cut to the chase, one best summed up the spirit with which KU’s 37th head football coach carried himself during his introductory news conference.

With his wife, Maura, and son Charlie Jr., sitting in front of him in the first row, Weis, 55, was asked what area of the KU program would be his top priority.

“The record,” he said. “That’s what I’m here to fix. Now, there’s a lot of things that go into doing that, but who wants to be 2-10? I’m glad that’s where the bar is to start, by the way. They won two too many as far as I’m concerned. It could’ve been a little bit easier.”

And with that, the Charlie Weis Era at Kansas was under way. Part charming, part comedy show, part serious business, Weis spoke for nearly 45 minutes to a packed house that included several current KU players and a throng of media members. While the community surely will learn more about the man who owns four Super Bowl rings and spent five seasons as the head coach at Notre Dame, Weis offered up a sizable chunk of what he’s about during his first appearance as a Jayhawk. The bulk of his message focused on family — both his own and that which he hopes to create within the walls of the KU football complex — but Weis also made sure to emphasize that he understood what was most important around here.

“The University of Kansas this year was 2-10,” he said. “The other major school in the state is Kansas State, who was 10-2. I only have one question to ask: Why? Why is the University of Kansas 2-10, and why is Kansas State 10-2? I don’t have that answer, but that is what I am here for... That is not acceptable in any way, shape or form.”

For at least the next five years, Weis will work to close the gap between KU and Bill Snyder’s program in Manhattan. Doing so figures to come as a result of all the things that made Weis a successful NFL assistant for 16 years, led him to the head coach’s office at Notre Dame from 2005-09 and led to running the offense at the University of Florida this past season.

“I set out to find the best, and I found Charlie Weis,” said KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger during his opening statement. “Coach Weis has tremendous experience and success at the highest levels of the NFL and collegiate football. He has an incredible football mind. He’s disciplined, principled and a tireless worker. We believe he is the right coach at the right time to put Kansas in a position to raise the bar and compete in the Big 12 Conference.”

According to Weis, who opened Friday’s news conference by cracking a joke about the bad left hip he plans to have replaced during the next few weeks, the work will begin immediately.

“The first thing we are going to have to do is put these players through a grueling offseason to change their mentality,” Weis said. “It is not going to be pleasant around here in the spring time. There are not many things I can promise, but I can promise you that. I have already told them ‘to enjoy your holidays and have fun, because when you get to the middle of January, it is not going to be very pleasant.’”

As for Weis’ to-do list, it begins with assembling a coaching staff. Weis said 80-to-90 percent of his staff was in place, but confirmed only one name. Reggie Mitchell, who coached running backs and served as KU’s recruiting coordinator under former coach Turner Gill, will be retained. The rest — along with Weis’ contract, which Zenger said would pay around $2.5 million per year for five years — will be finalized in the next few days. Weis said he planned to talk to all of KU’s current assistants before finalizing his staff, and emphasized that, of all the valuable lessons he learned from his time at Notre Dame, the importance of one’s coaching staff was paramount.

“I think chemistry on the coaching staff is a critical factor and sometimes very much underrated,” he said. “I could give you a conga line of some of the top coaches that want in here, but the question is, are they going to fit? Are they going to work together? Can they work with me? Can they work with each other?”

Weis prides himself on being honest. Several KU players, who met with Weis for the first time earlier in the day and spoke with reporters after the news conference, said their new coach told them to expect brutal honesty at all times. Weis flashed a little of that on Friday, too, when talking about today’s men’s basketball game during which he’ll be introduced to the crowd at halftime.

“I sat in the rafters for the KU-Kansas State basketball game last year, thank you very much,” he said. “I’ve been promised my seats will be better tomorrow.”

Not all of Weis’ honest moments included a comedian’s flare.

“I am not the greatest coach in the world,” he said. “I am just an old ball coach. I was groomed under Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick, and the way I figure it is, they are both going to the Hall of Fame, so why should I try and reinvent the wheel? Why not copycat what they do?”

For Zenger, still in his first year as KU’s AD, hiring Weis was not about delivering a shot heard ‘round the world. He called the extra attention KU received during the past couple of days “icing on the cake,” but emphasized that bringing in a man with Weis’ reputation, education and determination showed the world that Kansas had made a commitment to football.

“The chancellor and I didn’t feel like we needed a jump start,” Zenger said. “We believed that we needed a power surge. That power surge is coach Weis.”

If Weis has it his way, that surge will ignite Kansas football for years to come.

“We are going to be here at the University of Kansas until I am done coaching,” Weis said. “And then I am going to be here with my wife and my daughter, while my son tries the trials and tribulations of coaching. I have said this to both the chancellor and Dr. Zenger, utopia is me walking away from here a bunch of years from now, you’re getting rid of one Charlie Weis and hiring another one a lot cheaper.”

Comments

utahjayhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

Big splash, now go make some real noise next season!

Kyle Sybesma 9 years, 9 months ago

I'm curious to see who the coordinators will be. Could the talk about Malzahn to KU be about him being the OC? Leavitt would be an awesome DC.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 9 months ago

How about Doeren as DC? Read somewhere there was talk of his ND recruiting coord coming, though he is a receivers' coach, which doesn't bode well for Beatty. The really big question is who will be strength&conditioning?

mojayhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

Strength & conditioning could use a shot of Hudy.

John Randall 9 years, 9 months ago

Basketball and football require different conditioning as well as strength.

Basketball requires a flow and smoothness not nearly so relevant to football, which occurs in short bursts of maximum effort for a few seconds – especially up front (five on offense, seven on defense) where football games are won/lost.

Worlds of difference in weight and endurance training.

Theodore Thadogweadore 9 years, 9 months ago

Strength & Conditioning? Cory Meridith worked under Chris Dawson on Mangino's staff and is presently at KSU. He also worked for the Chiefs. Perhaps he is ready for his shot.

railer20 9 years, 9 months ago

I think he is focused more on a DC...wants someone that can come in right away and take over the D so he doesn't have to worry about that. He wants to "groom" an OC to his style of play.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 9 months ago

That is an awesome observation! The bottom line----Bill Self wants a good football program because that helps his program out----he has mentioned that before.

HawkinPA 9 years, 9 months ago

I said I was going to hold back my excitement until I saw who he will get as his coordinators but I'm gonna be honest, after this press conference I can't help it. It sounds like the right fit. I know he didn't do the best job at Notre Dame but the expectations are ridiculous there. Let's face it, we're not expecting to be National Championship contenders every year. We have that with basketball. My feeling is, if Weis gets us to the point where we are competing and bowling every year, than he is a great success. I mean Mangino was just over .500 and people were still calling for him to get his job back. A lot of people consider him to have done a great job here so as long as we get back to respectable I'll be ok with the hire. Now if he brings in some stud coordinators and REALLY gets us contending and sets us up for the future, than I'll be extremely happy and have to raise my expectations. I'd love for KU to be one of those schools that seriously compete in both football AND basketball every year.

ROCK CHALK!!!

waywardJay 9 years, 9 months ago

Competing and bowling every year might mean 3 years.... even with Turner's recruits who definetely showed promise.

Without a Quarterback that can throw the ball downfield, we are handicapped against a great slate of teams in conference, without bodies on the D-line we are succeptable to anything the offense wants to do.

You could have Norv Turner, Kendall Gill, Ron Turner, Gil Meche or Tina Turner coaching your boys and end up with the 2-10.

I'm not so sure Turner deserved to be fired yet, nor am I convinced this Coaching hire is a good fit, but I'm going to be open minded and Cautiously Optimistic.

Disclaimer, I hate Belicheck, I am not a big Parcells fan, and I'm not particularly a fan of the "Patriot" way of doing things..... I prefer Rex Ryan any day. BUT, I'm willing to look beyond my prejudices.

Joe Ross 9 years, 9 months ago

RE: "I'm not so sure Turner deserved to be fired yet, nor am I convinced this Coaching hire is a good fit..."

You have made this comment with the knowledge that Weis has been hired, so my question to you is this: Knowing what you know now, if you were AD and had magical powers to bring Gill back to Kansas, would you?

I get the rest of your post, but there should be nothing cautious about the optimism in replacing Turner Gill with Charlie Weis. Nothing at all.

KU_Alumn_2000 9 years, 9 months ago

Power surge ??? What do you mean by that ?

Ben Kliewer 9 years, 9 months ago

A surge...of Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blackhawkjayhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

It was a great line by Z wasn't it? Gotta live it!

Harrow Richard 9 years, 9 months ago

nobody knows what it means.....but its provocative......gets the people going!!

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 9 months ago

It seems obvious to me. The vehicle is not broken it just needs a new battery.

phi4life940 9 years, 9 months ago

Hopefully, Charlie Weis balls so hard mofo's wanna fine him. That s*#@ krey.....

Dirk Medema 9 years, 9 months ago

If he's expecting 10-15 players to leave, that means we can recruit a normal class this year.

JayDocMD 9 years, 9 months ago

Something tells me that 10-15 will be leaving whether they want to or not.

John Mueller 9 years, 9 months ago

I am excited and confident about the future of Kansas football!

Great hire!!

You cannot help but be impressed by his pedigree, but i was also impressed my his candor, humility and straight forward approach.

Look forward, not backwards seems about right for Kansas football.

I am extremely confident that Dr. Zenger made a great hire.

I am also impressed by Dr. Zenger. I thought his answer with regards to the search revealed something about his character i am extremely proud of.

It is a great day to be a Jayhawk!!

BEAT OSU!!

Here is to TT playing his best game as a Jayhawk today!!! Lead, distribute, no turnovers, 17 assists.

John Randall 9 years, 9 months ago

Tyshawn's play in both games this week is testimony we need to recognize.

We all question his judgement and loss of focus at times, but I have never heard (nor would I tolerate) complaints about his heart or guts. The guy is solid gold from neck to crotch, and working to get his legs up to par again may let him get more settled up top as well. He always makes more good plays than bad, and I look to see that keep improving.

There's a lull in our schedule the next couple weeks, but come conference time, we need TT as much as anyone on the roster.

Jeffery Barrett 9 years, 9 months ago

The guy took NOTRE DAME to 2 BCS bowls! Who do you want, Knute Rockne, Bear Bryant, Vince Lombardi???

Wake up and get real!!!

jhox 9 years, 9 months ago

Two BCS bowls starting mostly other guy's recruits. Keep in mind ND is an easy place to recruit to, Kansas is not. I'm hoping he can hire a strong staff. That's what got Gill fired. Torbush was good, but when he lost Torbush, the writing was on the wall.

Keeping Mitchell was a great move. I hope he keeps Beatty also. That's a solid 1-2 recruiting punch. A great conditioning coach is "must have" as well.

As for the players...The party is over guys, it is time to get to work. Your country club days are over.

Ethan Berger 9 years, 9 months ago

With other guys recruits is correct, but who couldn't win with them? ND is cursed I tell you, cursed.

GridironHawk 9 years, 9 months ago

ND is anything but "any easy place to recruit to". Their academic standards are outrageous and one of the major reasons that Holtz left. Also, ND hasn't been the same without Holtz (and his last 3 years were not that great). ND has 2 10 win seasons since Holtz left (one of those under Weis)...

Seth Nesmith 9 years, 9 months ago

As every coach and sports administrator in America would say- 'the other guy's recruits' is the most overrated statement in sports. It's crap, you still have to coach a team and know what you are doing.

TommieSmithElbow 9 years, 9 months ago

Great point. Example: Just like Jim Harbaugh took Mike Singletary's "recruits" and actually did something with them!

tis4tim 9 years, 9 months ago

"As Zenger said, he set out to find the best, but found Charlie Weis instead."

Wrong. Zenger said he set out to find the best AND found Charlie Weis. Huge difference in meaning.

If you don't like the hire that's perfectly fine, but don't twist quotes around to imply Zenger meant something he clearly didn't.

kranny 9 years, 9 months ago

Mediocre record? 4 Super Bowl rings, 2 BCS bowls, Took a moribund KC team to the playoffs. You aren't going to hire anybody more reputable for less money. KU was not going to get the other big names out there for less money and there was no guarantee winning would take place with them either. The difference between Gill and Weis is that Weis HAS been successful at both levels, successful every year, no, but greatly successful. I also believe that he will be able to assemble a better staff or at least a staff that works well together and is more demanding. I simply never saw Gill chew any butt at all.

John Mueller 9 years, 9 months ago

PS We often talk about candor and humility as strengths of Coach Self, but also toughness. The man (Self) is a competitor. This is a tough, tough business.

It is totally transparent. Your highs and lows are so, so public. (If every time i failed professionally, i had to talk about it in a press conference and get picked apart for every misstep, etc. No thank you.)

Ladies and Gentlemen, I think we just might have another coach with the same excellent qualities.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 9 months ago

Power surge is right! I am definitely charge up to what Coach Weiss said. It will be fun to keeps tabs on who he hires as OC and DC and the student-athletes he brings in.

Steve Misner 9 years, 9 months ago

Hate to say this, But the "Old Ball" coach needs to prove himself and fast! I fear this is just another coach that will last 3-4 years and be just get us to mediocrity and then be gone. No loyalty to the program, just to the money. I think we would have done better to hire a Jayhawk! (Nolan Cromwell) but it is what it is...good luck Charlie, now show us what you can do here, that you couldn't do at Notre Dame!

railer20 9 years, 9 months ago

I am so tired of people complaining about his loyalty and whether he stays after 3-4 years...The way I see it is that if he goes somewhere else in 3 years that means he's 1) got the program going and moving on to bigger better things, or 2) hasn't and is fired which is all part of the business.

I wish "fans" would get behind this hire and give Zenger the benefit of the doubt. I am a huge Notre Dame fan also and I did not like him there but this is a different fit and he will get to do the things he wants to do not what he is told he has to do.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 9 months ago

I am really tired of the talk about getting a former player to coach the team he played for. This goes to all sports. Not just football. I want a coach who has had some head coaching experience at whatever level of sport we are talking about. I am not dissing Nolan Cromwell. He was a great player and my many accounts a good assistant coach in the pro's. Correct me if I am wrong but his only College coaching experience was OC at Texas A&M. Former alumni that played are always brought up regardless of their lack of experience because being an alumni they may have been sprinkled with magic dust. This hire needed to be someone who had head coaching experience at the Collegiate level. I am happy with this hire.

danmoore 9 years, 9 months ago

You are correct. 2 years as OC at ATM. His resume is a bit thin for head coach consideration. I'd like to see Weis hire him as a position coach.

Geekinout 9 years, 9 months ago

You have to be kidding about the Nolan Cromwell suggestion.. Where exactly has he been as successful as an assistant or head coach compared to Charlie Weis? Great player, unproven coach..

Steve Misner 9 years, 9 months ago

I believe a Super Bowl ring says you were sucsessful. Where has Charlie proven himself as a head coach? Cromwell should have been hired 3 years ago. TG proved that a little success at a small school does not translate into a good coach at big school. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, I hope Charlie proves me wrong.I would be willing to bet that Geekinout was not even born when Cromwell played at KU. So what do you know about Cromwell?

Bellator 9 years, 9 months ago

Coach Weis what do you project for the off season conditioning program?

Pain!

Ethan Berger 9 years, 9 months ago

Mangino said some horrible things. Every body acts like he just yelled. He said some crude comments.

SaltLakeHawk 9 years, 9 months ago

icky! crude comments have no place in football. What a meanie!

Sayers44 9 years, 9 months ago

Why would Weis expect 10 - 15 players to leave?

Would it be because he is one of the biggest foul mouth bullies around.

If you have ever seen his modus operandi...every other word is an F-bomb.

I saw his modus operandi at Notre Dame - a catholic school - disgusting!

Weis said at the KU press conference that people wrote bad stuff about him at Notre Dame and he had to ask his wife --are they writing about me?

Answer --yes - they are writing about you --take a look in the mirror Weis --look at you modus operandi and ask yourself if you are proud and would others be proud of how you talk to and treat your players.

Does every other word need to be an F-Bomb to teach players the game of football?

Will 10 - 15 players leave because of your foul F- Bomb mouth?

Weis also had to resort to talking about the past Bellichec and Parsells.....Hard to talk about Florida when you are the Offensive Coordinator and your team is ranked 106 in the nation in offense.

Bellator 9 years, 9 months ago

Ummm maybe it's because at 2-10 you need to improve your talent level and the level of commitment?

Maybe it's because a new coach knows there is always turnover?

Maybe it's because a few of the kids have mamby pamby parents who like to coddle their kids and they will be afraid of their kids working hard or being yelled at?

Maybe it's because one or two of the kids won't want their name on the back of the jersey?

Maybe it's because one or two of the kids won't want to play under the weight of higher expectations and a full house?

Add it all up and 10-15 kids will leave and Weis will replace those kids with more talented players. F... yea!

GraniteHawk 9 years, 9 months ago

Congratulations on breaking the "modus operendi" posting record! Other than to say that he used foul language at times, do you have any comments as to his ability to coach, or do you just want to bash him because he uses profanity. Not saying it is necessary, and agree it can be over used at times, but this is football where emotion can not, and should not be restrained. We have proof of what that gets you under the last coach.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 9 months ago

Sayers44: First, before you cite coaches, you might run spell check. Helps with intellectual credibility.

Second, and this might surprise you, but football players aren't generally offended by the F-word.

Third, when you take off your skirt, be sure that you dry clean it afterward. Wouldn't want to run it through the washer. And those panty hose .. just hang them on the line out back.

It is sissy-a**es like this that doom football programs.

Christopher Hauser 9 years, 9 months ago

Nor are most college students offended by the f-bomb.

Ethan Berger 9 years, 9 months ago

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo you said a bad word.

railer20 9 years, 9 months ago

A..Florida's offense sucked because it didn't have players this year (Muschamp will last 2 years more at most)..B. Mangino never got mad and dropped the F-bomb to his players did he...C. IT'S DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL, IT'S THE BIG XII, THIS AIN'T INTRAMURALS.

railer20 9 years, 9 months ago

Dang it kusports.com my Dan Hawkins quote was supposed to be in all CAPS

Jayhawk1116 9 years, 9 months ago

And then they give you your caps in caps! Whatever the "cap" rule is it bugs the hell out of me too.

JayhawkGrad05 9 years, 9 months ago

My guess is that the CAPS rule only allows short all caps "words", so they can allow for acronyms like SEC, B1G, PAC-12, etc. Maybe a limit of 5 or 6 characters?

Guess I'll find out when I click "post comment"...

SaltLakeHawk 9 years, 9 months ago

testing...testing...

C CA CAP CAPS CAPSI CAPSIZ CAPSIZE CAPSIZED

I typed those all in caps

John Randall 9 years, 9 months ago

Maybe the rule disregards spaces/punctuation/line feed.

Try inserting lower case between things you want in CAPS.

Alternative – learn HTML cues.

KGphoto 9 years, 9 months ago

"...it's division 1 football, it's the big xii, this ain't intramurals."

One of my favorite coach quotes ever. However that attitude didn't win him any games either.

Brak 9 years, 9 months ago

Good to see you posting here Mr. Gill hows that extra 6 mil working out for ya.

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 9 months ago

Ooh he's a bully. Ooh he may say bad things about you. Sorry but that is how football coaches motivate their players. During pre season practice, when it's 100 degrees in the shade and the humidity index convinces you are not in Kansas anymore but perhaps the deep south, Nice words about "how smart you are, how good you are and darnit people like you" is not going to make you forget how much pain your in and knock the guy in front of you on his ass. That is just the way it is. Its football. Put on your big boy pads, grow a pair and hit somebody.

Seth Nesmith 9 years, 9 months ago

Yes because he uses the F-Bomb he must be a horrible coach. Oh no!!!!! Not only do we have soft players, we have soft fans! It's football, grow some thick skin baby jayhawk fans.

dylans 9 years, 9 months ago

The F-bomb identifies the quality of character a person is immediately. So say it loudly, say it proudly: F you!

Joe Ross 9 years, 9 months ago

Sayers44: I see more than my fair share of posts from people who know absolutely nothing about football. Have you ever played the game? I played for a state championship team, and while that's not the same as winning in all on a collegiate level, it gives me just a little intuition when someone completely has no idea of what they are talking about.

Now you posed the question, "why would 10-15 players leave?" I should give you some time to think on your own question before answering it, to see if you are bright enough to have the obvious tickle your brain.

Jeopardy! theme... (30 seconds of "think music" here)

Have you got it yet? No? I thought I'd have to give it to you, so I'm not surprised. For one, Weis may not want all of the players he inherited! They may either lack skill or may not be the right fit for his style of play. Two, players leaving opens up scholarships for the players Weis DOES want! Now plug your ears if this is gonna bother you, but sometimes you just tell a kid he isn't going to play, and it's in his best interest to transfer. No kid is gonna stick around knowing they'll sit the bench. It's all about Weis preening his roster.

Whether he drops F-bombs or not is not relevant to this discussion, though I remind you that this is football and if you wanna coach cupcakes you should save that for little league. News for you, Sayers44...this ain't day camp!

dylans 9 years, 9 months ago

What percentage of the b-ball team turned over when Bill first took over?

John Randall 9 years, 9 months ago

May I assume that you believe that pruning the roster is related to preening his roster?

BringBackNike 9 years, 9 months ago

Does this mean that we will have names on the back of our jerseys next year?

railer20 9 years, 9 months ago

he didn't at Notre Dame so I don't know...hope so though

phi4life940 9 years, 9 months ago

That's Notre Dame tradition, not Coach Weis.

Jeffery Barrett 9 years, 9 months ago

Maybe Zenger hired him in part to make sure Berglund suits up as QB next fall....... From what I saw of Crist in his one game this year and he wasn't great last year, I'd like to see what Berglund has to offer.

John Randall 9 years, 9 months ago

Wait for spring ball – he may make it this time.

Steve Misner 9 years, 9 months ago

Click on the "reply" button and it puts it uder the wrong poster. I was agreeing with Sayers44

bad_dog 9 years, 9 months ago

Umm, you did put it under Sayers44's post-twice. Reciting "Amen" doesn't inherently validate it, but it did go where it was intended. First to reply to a given poster gets to be first in line under the intended comment.

From my pespective, we had a little too much "B E L I E V E", "Amen" & nicey, nice out of the last regime and not nearly enough p!$$ & vinegar. They had their shot and the record speaks for itself. Anyone that shrinks from an F-bomb can either buy earplugs, thicken their skin or go elsewhere to play.

bad_dog 9 years, 9 months ago

s/b "perspective". Don't want to offend any schoolteachers out there ;-)

Can't "believe" L J W's program decapitalizes the acronym "believe".

Sheesh...

Bion Ostrander 9 years, 9 months ago

My gut reaction at Weis' hire was surprise, and mixed emotions of good and bad. Now, after my own research, I think its a great hire despite some lazy sportswriters and fans negative reactions.

Most lazy sportwriters conveniently dredge up what they call his failure at Notre Dame as a speculative conclusion that Weis will fail at KU. My thoughts:

1) Notre Dame - None of you with real jobs (besides sportswriters) have never had a setback, a bad professional decision, never been fired or nudged out of your job, or taken a bad job? Please...if we defined everyone by the lowest point reached in their career or life, we would all be miserable failures. Hopefully, you learn and improve and correct those mistakes in the future. So give Weis a chance, his successes far outweigh what some may deem a disappointment at ND. I think Weis gave some good answers to what happened at ND, he wasn't totally in control of that program.

2) Florida - Some mention Weis' Florida offense was only ranked 102nd in the NCAA after his first year, so he was a failure. Please...Florida has the 3rd largest athletic budget in the NCAA, their former coach Meyer was extremely successful, prodigy HC Muschamp just finished his first year at Florida 6-6. As big, rich and powerful as Florida football is, I don't think they would hire a loser as OC and I assume they did a huge amount of due diligence on Weis before they hired him, which eventually reduced the risk of KU's hire of Weis. If you conclude Weis was lousy in one year at Florida, then you also have to conclude that Muschamp is a terrible HC with a 6-6 record also, that Muschamp does not know how to hire, and forget that he was the heir apparent to the Texas HC job and was the highest paid assistant coach in the nation at Texas.

3) Coaches - Any coach KU would have hired would have had some baggage, downside, inexperience or unproven as a HC (if they had been an OC or DC). Fedora, Sumlin, Leach, Leavitt, etc. - - they all carry some risk. KU will never be Oklahoma or Texas in football, get over it.

I think Weis will be accountable, instill discipline, graduate kids, be very detailed in game scheming, great recruiter, sell tickets, has a personality that will be honest, funny and probably abrasive at times. Sure there are concerns about his health and how long he may stay at KU, but so far the pros outweigh the cons.

Marcia Parsons 9 years, 9 months ago

Excellent post. I have one question. What health concerns are you referring to? I know he nearly died following bypass surgery, but his knees and hip replacements are the result of being injured (hit on the sideline during a game) and not a health issue. Is there something more I haven't heart about?

Jack Wilson 9 years, 9 months ago

If anyone saw Tanner Hawkinson's remarks in the KC Star today, you should be glad Gill is gone. Hawkinson stated that players were not dedicated to improvement, particularly in the weight room. "There were little things here and there" .. "Someone was needed to put their foot down."

No one questions whether Mangino attended to the little things, or if Bill Snyder does .. Snyder, the guy who famously is so detail oriented he makes sure the butter is not too firm for team meals. That sort of stuff wins football games. Attention to detail. A hyper-critic. A control freak.

Gill wasn't that.

Joe Ross 9 years, 9 months ago

A voice of reason! Nice to see someone who gets it!

railer20 9 years, 9 months ago

People are bagging in his year at Florida and how their offense sucked....

I listened to an interview with a espn sports writer from gatorland and he said it wasn't weis's fault (although that is how fans see it). He said most of the blame should go to Urban Meyer because when he toyed with retiring the first time he didn't put in the effort recruiting and therefore the talent is well below Florida standards this year. He did what he could with what he had, and Brantley isn't much and he was hurt part of the year.

JayHok 9 years, 9 months ago

My heart is with the Florida Gators on this one. It didn't help that not only did Florida have relatively poor recruits on offense thanks to Meyer leaving so abruptly, at least poor recruits in Florida terms, but they went through about 4 QB's due to injuries. All this in Weis first year at OC with a completely new coach. Weis runs a pro system. If a head coach or pro style OC doesn't have a solid QB and a line at the very least in the SEC, good luck.

njhawk11 9 years, 9 months ago

Right Urban slacked off. Urban brought in the #1 class in America the year b4 he left. And they were all just sophomores. Muschamp is the problem. Do you really think Urban will not win at Ohio State?

okiedave 9 years, 9 months ago

I have an ex-wildcat football player friend who was allowed, the extemely rare treat, to observe a K-State practice. He said it was a methodical disciplined practice. Snyder spent the whole time simply going around to each work station -- very controlled and quiet -- observing and voice recording into his tape recorder his observations. These observations were discussed later with the assistant coaches and at team meetings. The practices were quiet - very focused and disciplined. However, at the same time, Snyder maintained a sense of control and presence. The players feed off of Snyder's focus and disciplined method of coaching -- no screeming, yelling, or swearing -- just tough disciplined focused practices. This has changed my thinking that it is not just good players that produce wins, but coaching produces the focus required for winning. I am anxious to see how our players respond to Weis' style of coaching.

troutsee 9 years, 9 months ago

You are correct. That is the Snyder style. Detailed, analytical, organized, and demanding. That is the formula for developing teamwork and a winning program. Hopefully, Weis will be able to do for KU what Snyder has done for KSU. I was impressed by his demeanor at the press conference. My sense is that this guy took this job because he wants to prove he can do it. I think he will be driven to be successful. Expect a tougher, more united KU FB team next year.

johnnyphoton 9 years, 9 months ago

Coach Weis is one smooth operator. A control freak. A plus recruiter. Offensive coach with pure imagination--Wonka style. Has a bit of baggage. A history of success and not so much success. I don't see many professional failures. A solid family man. In my estimation, this is a good hire. Like most have already said, the OC and DC picks are critical. Someone here said it right: Talking KU football in the heart of basketball season is awesome. Well done, Z.

njhawk11 9 years, 9 months ago

Charlie was not my choice. But if he gets Rob Ianello paired with Jackson as the lead recruiters and convinces Jon Tenuta to be the Defensive Coordinator it could be a powerful staff.

And lets see if he can beat out Wisconsin and have Dane Crist as the QB next year. That would be huge to have Crist teach the guys the system with Weiss

number1jayhawker 9 years, 9 months ago

Do you mean Reggie Mitchell as the other recruiter?

David Atchley 9 years, 9 months ago

I think its funny the Jayhawk Nation allowed their A.D. to run Mangino out of town, largely because of his physical appearance on game day...Whereas I never was part of the faction here that thought he was the answer, I was for bringing Bill Young back and see if you could put Morris and Dodge under him for perpetuation, which is still a much more solid foundation than this circus act, complete with the size 4x tents for clothing.

The same Jayhawk nation that thought Gill was the answer, deserved more time to really let his ineptness shine through. The only question Kansas administration and fans need to constantly ask themselves when faced with decisions they're not equipped to answer on college football matters, is "what would Oklahoma State do?"

At this point, Kansas football remains a punch line. The program is conservatively 6-10 years behind every team they're competing with in their Conference from a coaching standpoint, player development and recruiting standpoint, facilities standpoint and what many of you haven't begun to consider, the State level.

If you look at the concessions made in the State of Oklahoma and Texas for the athletic departments in their states, you'll begin to understand the pressure and change needed on a State level.

The Big 12 and SEC Conference aren't about the X's and O's its about the "Jimmy and Joes." Translated, recruiting is a far greater model of success in what coach you select. Weis time and again after leaving Notre Dame, you know when he was spinning his story to get back into the NFL, mentioned over and over how the recruiting part of college football wasn't his thing.

It should make Kansas football fans sleep better at night knowing a team like TCU that hasn't played a down in the Big 12 and coming from a lesser conference, a smaller school in enrollment, is light years ahead in coaching, recruiting, and winning percentage.

The hiring of Weis which gives the Jayhawk nation another shiny ornament to hang on the tree....did nothing to address any of the immediate issues surrounding this program. It is a program way behind the other teams and you somehow convinced yourselves to wait another 4 years and see what the magic of Charlie Weis can produce. That is fool's gold.

Its hilarious to hear the names being spouted that should consider this program a week ago...Mike Leach, Larry Fedora, Kevin Sumlin should all have conisidered the highly coveted Kansas job. I don't recall anyone mentioning the genius that is apparently Charlie Weis. Matter of fact there are Division 2 schools that would never have allowed that to happen.

johnnyphoton 9 years, 9 months ago

Dude/Dudette: Take your venom and pour it into the political process. It's more important and definitely more broken than KU football.

troutsee 9 years, 9 months ago

Thank the lord that the vast majority of KU fans are looking at this hire in a very positive light. Bringing in Bill Young, who is in his 60's and has had no head coaching experience and has produced a mediocre defense at OSU and for most of his tenure at KU had mediocre defenses also (except for a couple of years), ranks right up there with other illogical pessimistic rants that burden this website from time to time. Thankfully, your rant is quite long and won't be read by most of the posters.

ironhead80 9 years, 9 months ago

Seriously!!! Why are you talking like this on this site. Ok, "musclehead" Get a life and get out from living in your mothers basement, find a nice girl or puppy to take care of . Quit sniffing the glue!!

JayHok 9 years, 9 months ago

I'll take the four super bowl rings, five superbowls, 2 BCS bowl games, one BCS bowl victory, and the five star QB that will be in the Fieldhouse today talking football strategy with Weis.

blackhawkjayhawk 9 years, 9 months ago

Weiss is actually a proven recruiter, hard-worker and excellent X and O coach. KU's facilities are first-rate and it will take two recruiting classes to put us in the top half of the league. If recruiting is so important, you may want drive to Manhattan and tell Bill Snyder that he's doing everything the wrong way.

babyjay1 9 years, 9 months ago

Maybe you should stay in Oklahoma... Why are you here and what does it matter to you what KU does (or the entire state of Kansas for that matter)? And why should WE care what Okie State does? Can't say that has ever been a concern of mine.... Awwww, sorry, did you think everyone was tring to replicate the state of Oklahoma?

Seth Nesmith 9 years, 9 months ago

Thank you oh wise mustlehustle! Now go back to DoomandGloom Land and live Miserably Ever After!

sportjunky 9 years, 9 months ago

Easily the best quote:

"I set out to find the best, and I found Charlie Weis."

Wow, that can be take A LOT of ways. I know that this comment was noted earlier on this board, but this is priceless.

ejlumus 9 years, 9 months ago

BS & LB never said the f-word. LOL

Here's to completing some 60 yard f-bombs for TDs.

It's our last chance .... get on the efn band wagon!!!!

flyingfinn 9 years, 9 months ago

I have listened to Coach Weis's press conference twice now and find it very refreshing and am really impressed by his down to earth answers and his over all demeanor. What I really like however is his statements on upcoming off-season conditioning. This folks is what wins football games no matter your level of talent that was missing in the last two years. Football is a tough grueling sport that requires mentally and physically tough players to compete and Coach Weiz WILL bring that factor next year no matter what talent he has time to recruit.So while not expecting an undefeated season we will have a much more competetive team. Good luck Coach Weis and RCJH!!!!!!

danmoore 9 years, 9 months ago

I have reluctantly defended Gill all season on the grounds that we would not be able to get a good head coach to come to Lawrence but I am happy to say the AD proved me wrong. I think Zenger hit a homerun.

johnnyphoton 9 years, 9 months ago

Back at ya. Here's hoping MU torpedos you SEC honks. And yo, Bator, that was hard to type.

dylans 9 years, 9 months ago

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

MU is gonna get demolished next season playing the big boys, but should hold their own against the lower half of he conference.