Saturday, December 10, 2011

Coach Charlie Weis ‘recruited’ Sheahon Zenger

Kansas athletic director Sheahon Zenger listens as new football coach Charlie Weis takes questions during a news conference on Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Charlie Weis press conference

Charlie Weis was introduced as Kansas University's new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Download podcast

Videos

Charlie Weis introduced as Kansas head football coach

video thumbnail

Kansas University chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little and athletic director Sheahon Zenger introduced Charlie Weis as KU's new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Players surprised by, happy with Weis hire

Kansas football players Toben Opurum, Kale Pick and Tanner Hawkinson gave their thoughts on the hiring of Charlie Weis as their new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Kansas University athletic director Sheahon Zenger said that Mike Leach let him know before he brought his list of 12-to-15 candidates to Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little that Leach had found a university (Washington State) he felt would fit him better.

Gray-Little, Zenger said, did not block Leach from being considered. Zenger said had Leach not told him he was more interested in going to Washington State, he would have been on his list.

“No, we didn’t,” Zenger said when asked if he and Leach talked about his lawsuits. “I didn’t have to ask that question. That’s something we talked about a year ago, his situation, but again, that’s personal.”

Weis was the last coach Zenger talked to, and he said after meeting Florida’s offensive coordinator he was convinced he would be an excellent recruiter.

“He recruited me,” Zenger said. “He’s very engaging.”

Zenger said he talked to “five-to-10 people” about Weis, including calls made to those who worked with him at Notre Dame. Zenger said he called Florida coach Will Muschamp at about 2 a.m. Thursday and left a message letting him know he would like to talk to Weis. Hours later, Muschamp returned the call and granted permission.

Zenger’s next call was to Weis, who was not surprised because some of those Zenger had called about him had let Weis know the Kansas AD was asking about him.

The AD and his new coach met at Weis’ home in Ocala, Fla., Thursday and flew to New Jersey because, Zenger said, “That’s where the chancellor was.”

Zenger said Weis appealed to him because of his personality, his successful history with quarterbacks and, “the discipline, the attention to detail, the work ethic. It’s that and his family. From what I’ve heard, he gets here at about 4:30 in the morning. I’d like to visit with him for coffee once in a while.”

Comments

ironhead80 2 years, 4 months ago

See, the posts I'am reading about the average KU fan is average expectactions for Weis. The top football powerhouses mentality is to win championships and there fans have that same expectations. KU basketball mentality are the same and the expectations from fans to win championships are the same as well. So, as KU fans of our football team why not have those expectations from our coach's and fans? Let's hold coach Weis to these same standards as we do for our Basketball program. Listening to Weis the other day I think he feels he can come in here in win 5-6 games a year, go to some bowls and we as fans will be happy, I just feel Weis will not be committed to winning championships here, it's just to much work for him and that's not his main motivation on why he is here. It's about helping his Son in coaching, retireing earlier than expected with alot of money for the security for his family. GOOD LUCK COACH!!

Jayhawk1116 2 years, 4 months ago

I just want a bowl game!!! I would kill for another Insight Bowl. I love the Phoenix area (especially in the winter). Great place for a football vacation.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't think BCS bowls every year is the requirement to be HC at KU. I think MM set the standard for success at KU. About every other year go to a bowl game. On average around .500. When your non-conference games. Beat ISU, KSU, and Baylor on a fairly routine basis. Beat some of the mid-tier occasionnally TTU, OSU (had a really good year this year), WVU. Be comptetive (don't get blown out every game) against UT, OU, and TCU.

If HCCW figures out how to win 6-8 wins a year, we came out way ahead. And if occasionally we have a 10 win season, it will be magic. I still would argue if KU had a 10-2 record like KSU did this year, we would have been in a BCS bowl, whereas, KSU clearly isn't.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 4 months ago

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm honestly not a negative person. I prefer to call my self a realist. I want Weis to succeed as much as any good Jayhawk football fan. But man, I just don't see it happening.

He will probably put together some 5,6 or 7 win seasons, depending on how long he sticks around. And - hey - if he CAN put together some seasons like that, it will be a success by KU football standards. But I'm not buying any BCS bowl tickets right now.

History shows that we just aren't going to develop into a consistent football power. Nobody wants me to be wrong more than me. Make me eat my words Charlie.

JJHAWK 2 years, 4 months ago

Liked the interview: Liked the importance he placed on making the right staff selection: Liked that he had past experience in staff selection and thought he could do better this time: Liked that his input to his DC would be there but be limited:

My two predictions: 1) We won't be so badly out coached in the second half of games like the last two seasons 2) The days of continuous 50 and 60 point beat downs will soon be history

I liked Turner Gill and am sad he didn't make it at Kansas. He is a really nice person. Unfortunately under his tutoring the KU football program showed no signs of improvement. It was time for him to go. But I wish him and his family well.