Saturday, December 10, 2011

Coach Charlie Weis ‘recruited’ Sheahon Zenger

Kansas athletic director Sheahon Zenger listens as new football coach Charlie Weis takes questions during a news conference on Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Charlie Weis press conference

Charlie Weis was introduced as Kansas University's new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Download podcast

Videos

Charlie Weis introduced as Kansas head football coach

video thumbnail

Kansas University chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little and athletic director Sheahon Zenger introduced Charlie Weis as KU's new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Players surprised by, happy with Weis hire

Kansas football players Toben Opurum, Kale Pick and Tanner Hawkinson gave their thoughts on the hiring of Charlie Weis as their new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Kansas University athletic director Sheahon Zenger said that Mike Leach let him know before he brought his list of 12-to-15 candidates to Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little that Leach had found a university (Washington State) he felt would fit him better.

Gray-Little, Zenger said, did not block Leach from being considered. Zenger said had Leach not told him he was more interested in going to Washington State, he would have been on his list.

“No, we didn’t,” Zenger said when asked if he and Leach talked about his lawsuits. “I didn’t have to ask that question. That’s something we talked about a year ago, his situation, but again, that’s personal.”

Weis was the last coach Zenger talked to, and he said after meeting Florida’s offensive coordinator he was convinced he would be an excellent recruiter.

“He recruited me,” Zenger said. “He’s very engaging.”

Zenger said he talked to “five-to-10 people” about Weis, including calls made to those who worked with him at Notre Dame. Zenger said he called Florida coach Will Muschamp at about 2 a.m. Thursday and left a message letting him know he would like to talk to Weis. Hours later, Muschamp returned the call and granted permission.

Zenger’s next call was to Weis, who was not surprised because some of those Zenger had called about him had let Weis know the Kansas AD was asking about him.

The AD and his new coach met at Weis’ home in Ocala, Fla., Thursday and flew to New Jersey because, Zenger said, “That’s where the chancellor was.”

Zenger said Weis appealed to him because of his personality, his successful history with quarterbacks and, “the discipline, the attention to detail, the work ethic. It’s that and his family. From what I’ve heard, he gets here at about 4:30 in the morning. I’d like to visit with him for coffee once in a while.”

Comments

JJHAWK 2 years, 7 months ago

Liked the interview: Liked the importance he placed on making the right staff selection: Liked that he had past experience in staff selection and thought he could do better this time: Liked that his input to his DC would be there but be limited:

My two predictions: 1) We won't be so badly out coached in the second half of games like the last two seasons 2) The days of continuous 50 and 60 point beat downs will soon be history

I liked Turner Gill and am sad he didn't make it at Kansas. He is a really nice person. Unfortunately under his tutoring the KU football program showed no signs of improvement. It was time for him to go. But I wish him and his family well.

kudzutexas 2 years, 7 months ago

ditto. I feel bad for Turner and his staff, but I also think Weis can turn this program around to respectability. Hope they keep Beaty. He's an excellent coach and great recruiter in Texas.

afilmer 2 years, 7 months ago

+1 word for word - this is what i would have posted.

my issues with Gill had to do with coaching. i knew we were going to be out "talented" 7 out of 10 games, but the last two years, the hawks just seemed lost on the field. missed assignments on defense, blown coverages, blown routes on offense, false starts, delay of games, and over all bewilderment. there are very few people that i would rather see succeed on the hill than Coach Gill, but alas, he was a bit over his skis in the Big 12.

that being said, i have extreme optimism for HCCW. i hope that he can put together a staff that he respects (including DC Jim Leavitt).

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm honestly not a negative person. I prefer to call my self a realist. I want Weis to succeed as much as any good Jayhawk football fan. But man, I just don't see it happening.

He will probably put together some 5,6 or 7 win seasons, depending on how long he sticks around. And - hey - if he CAN put together some seasons like that, it will be a success by KU football standards. But I'm not buying any BCS bowl tickets right now.

History shows that we just aren't going to develop into a consistent football power. Nobody wants me to be wrong more than me. Make me eat my words Charlie.

VaJay 2 years, 7 months ago

One step at a time. Let's see what happens. We have the facilities now we never had in the past, so apart from getting the right coaches and gradually getting better and better players to come here, there's not much difference between us & a K-State or OSU (plus our campus blows those two away).

Chris Bailey 2 years, 7 months ago

nuleaf,

I shared your opinions when I first heard of the hire. But if you look at his time in South Bend it wasn't as bad as we see it. Is Kelley doing much better there? Notre Dame hasn't really done much "consistently" since Lou was there. Yes they've seen some success but they haven't consistently won since the Holtz days. Weis had some pretty dang good recruiting classes there as well! You know as well as I do that the that hiring good assistants is as important as who the head man is! I don't think we can discount anything just yet. Notre Dame was a different animal. They have VERY rich alums and a bunch of em! They also have the luxury or the disservice of playing on NBC every Saturday which ever way you want to view that glass. That program is under constant scrutiny one which puts you in the fire every day you go to work. It takes the right person to handle that stress. Maybe I'm just on the hopeful side of this and want to hope for the positives. I think he is going to make us relevant! I think our recruiting will benefit GREATLY from his presence! He didn't get Crist to come to AFH today because he can't recruit! That was a very fast turn around. 48-72 hours and he has a 5 star qb at a BBall game! That's pretty impressive and speaks volumes about his recruiting in my opinion. I have a feeling we will have many more highly touted recruits in Lawrence over the next few months and years! I really think this is a splash! I think we will have a top 25 recruiting class starting in 2012-2013 school years. I don't think we have enough scholarships to give right now to make a huge splash for 2012 signees. We will see but I see nothing but positives about this hire! I think SZ hit a home run! I think this was a much better hire than Mike Leech! No baggage and an offensive guru! Watch how much our current players improve from this year to next. We will win 6 or 7 games next season! I see us going bowling with consistency as well! As much as Aperse was down on Gill I am up on Weis. I really think we're gonna shock some people next year. Can't wait till the spring game! I bet there is a hellofa crowd this year watching that game! I can feel the buzz in the air already! Rock Chalk!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

rxdoc,

With each passing day, I'm warming up to the idea. I have absolutely no doubt that we will see improvements. I agree 100% that a great deal of how well we do depends on our entire coaching staff. I hope he can put together a great team of coaches. Starting with a top notch Defensive Coordinator.

I'm still not on board with a top 25 recruiting class, and I personally am still calling this a ground rule double. I hope you're right! I've been wrong before, and if I'm wrong on this one that would be a good thing.

Anyway - I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. But I do think things are looking up. RCJH.

Chris Bailey 2 years, 7 months ago

If this isn't a homerun hire I'll eat my words. And if TG could get a top 30 recruiting class I have no doubt Weis can do better than that. I could be wrong. I bought into Gill but it was more me hoping things would get better even though I had many doubts about him being able to bring it like Mangino did. I don't think I'm wrong on this one. I think things will be looking up for KU. I think he will bring in the horses to see this through. He will leave KU football's program in better shape than its ever been I have no doubt about that!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm hoping you're right brother!!

jhawkrulz 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't think BCS bowls every year is the requirement to be HC at KU. I think MM set the standard for success at KU. About every other year go to a bowl game. On average around .500. When your non-conference games. Beat ISU, KSU, and Baylor on a fairly routine basis. Beat some of the mid-tier occasionnally TTU, OSU (had a really good year this year), WVU. Be comptetive (don't get blown out every game) against UT, OU, and TCU.

If HCCW figures out how to win 6-8 wins a year, we came out way ahead. And if occasionally we have a 10 win season, it will be magic. I still would argue if KU had a 10-2 record like KSU did this year, we would have been in a BCS bowl, whereas, KSU clearly isn't.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 7 months ago

Jayhawk1116 2 years, 7 months ago

I just want a bowl game!!! I would kill for another Insight Bowl. I love the Phoenix area (especially in the winter). Great place for a football vacation.

ironhead80 2 years, 7 months ago

See, the posts I'am reading about the average KU fan is average expectactions for Weis. The top football powerhouses mentality is to win championships and there fans have that same expectations. KU basketball mentality are the same and the expectations from fans to win championships are the same as well. So, as KU fans of our football team why not have those expectations from our coach's and fans? Let's hold coach Weis to these same standards as we do for our Basketball program. Listening to Weis the other day I think he feels he can come in here in win 5-6 games a year, go to some bowls and we as fans will be happy, I just feel Weis will not be committed to winning championships here, it's just to much work for him and that's not his main motivation on why he is here. It's about helping his Son in coaching, retireing earlier than expected with alot of money for the security for his family. GOOD LUCK COACH!!

BrockIII 2 years, 7 months ago

Geez. This is KU, not OU. We do not and should not have the same expectations as a national power. KU has little to no football history - we had not even made back to back bowl games before Mangino. If we can win six games a year on average with a bowl game every other year, that's success for KU. You have to start somewhere. Stay in touch with reality.

lonestar 2 years, 7 months ago

How about your kind stay in touch with having a little backbone and ambition. I dont like Weis, but I hope he has aspirations above those of the average weak willed KU football fan.

troutsee 2 years, 7 months ago

And I suppose KState should not have expected to be a national power or Boise State or VT or FSU. Tell you what, the only way to be a consistent winner is to set the bar high. If you want to be a C student, chances are you will be a D student. Set the bar high. Have your repectation to be the best and some day you may get there.

I for one am sick of mediocrity in our FB program. Sorry, going to the Insight Bowl every other year is not good enough for me. In that regard Gil had the right vision. He just did not have what it takes to get a team prepared to play the game of football.