Friday, December 9, 2011

Name recognition: Jayhawks get big name — Charlie Weis

Charlie Weis, formerly the offensive coordinator at Florida, gets off the Kansas University plane at the Lawrence Airport on Thursday night around 8:30 p.m. Weis has agreed to become the 37th football coach in KU history. KU will hold a press conference to introduce Weis on Friday.

In announcing the hire of Charlie Weis as Kansas University’s newest head football coach Thursday afternoon, KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger steered the program into new territory.

The men hired to lead the Jayhawks during the past couple of decades were virtual unknowns.

When Glen Mason was hired before the 1988 season, he was a mid-major coach on the rise. When it was time to replace him before the 1997 season, the Jayhawks turned to Div. I-AA star Terry Allen.

After Allen was fired in 2001, KU turned to an assistant coach at Oklahoma named Mark Mangino.

And, two years ago, after Mangino resigned under pressure after eight seasons, KU replaced him with Turner Gill, a man known more for his playing days than his coaching résumé.

After all that, KU finally appears to have handed the keys over to a man known simply for being a coach.

“At the end of the day, it was time for the University of Kansas to go out and give its football program its best shot,” Zenger told the Journal-World less than an hour after landing at the Lawrence airport with Weis and a handful of others on board the university plane.

Zenger, in his first year as athletic director at Kansas, said Weis was on his wish list from Day 1. Eleven days, numerous flights and countless hours of conversations later, Zenger struck a deal Thursday to make Weis KU’s 37th head football coach. The 55-year-old Weis officially will be introduced at a news conference at 5 p.m. today, but, in many ways, he’s a man who needs no introduction.

Weis brings to KU 16 years of experience as an NFL assistant coach and five years of experience on the college sidelines. During his time in the NFL, he was an offensive coordinator for nine seasons with three teams and helped lead the New York Giants (1991) and New England Patriots (2002, 2004 and 2005) to world titles.

“I’m surprisingly shocked,” said Jake Sharp, a former KU running back and native of Salina. “I feel like that’s a huge splash. Mr. Zenger got out there and obviously went to work for the university. And with him being a Western Kansas guy, I totally back him on everything he does. I think coach Weis’ credentials are tremendous, and I’m really excited to see what he’s going to do here at the University of Kansas.”

Although his days in the NFL — which included one season as the Kansas City Chiefs’ offensive coordinator in 2010 — are what Weis is best known for, his five-year stint as a college head coach was not without its own accolades. While leading Notre Dame to a 35-27 record in five seasons from 2005-09, Weis twice led the Irish to BCS bowl appearances and earned the Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year award in 2005 after a 9-3 season.

After being fired by Notre Dame following a disappointing 6-6 season in 2009, Weis joined Todd Haley’s staff in Kansas City and helped lead the Chiefs to the AFC West Division title and a playoff appearance.

He left Kansas City to become the offensive coordinator at the University of Florida, citing a desire to spend more time with his family. His son, Charlie Jr., enrolled at UF and began a job with the football program to learn the ins and outs of the profession. One thing he learned from his dad’s latest move is that the draw of the head coach’s clipboard can be powerful.

Florida head coach Will Muschamp, who guided the Gators to a 6-6 record during his first season after serving as a Mack Brown assistant for three years at Texas, told the Associated Press on Thursday he often sensed Weis wanted another opportunity to lead his own program.

“There aren’t many opportunities you get to be a head coach,” Muschamp said. “I know Charlie. The last one didn’t end the way he wanted it to.”

Muschamp said he and Weis discussed the Kansas opportunity during the past few days

“I asked him, ‘Is this something you’re really interested in doing?’” Muschamp told the AP. “He said, ‘Yeah, I want to talk to ’em. If I wasn’t interested, I would not talk.’ So I said, ‘I support you 100 percent if that’s what you want to do. I think that’s great.’ Now, when guys make parallel moves, I don’t necessarily agree with that. When guys can further their career, I think it’s great.”

Though rumors of Weis as a candidate for the Kansas job popped up Wednesday, many people still viewed it as a long shot. Since 1990, KU has recorded just seven winning seasons, and Mangino’s 50-48 record from 2002-09 made him the first KU coach to finish his career above .500 since Jack Mitchell went 44-42-5 from 1958-66.

Asked how he was able to attract a coach with Weis’ credentials to a program like Kansas, Zenger referred to the concept that kicked the search off in the first place: Weis and Kansas simply seemed to be the right fit for each other.

“It was mutual,” Zenger said. “For him and for us, the stars aligned.”

Details of Weis’ contract with KU were not available Thursday night. After being fired by Notre Dame, six years before his extended contract was set to expire, Weis received a termination payment of $6.6 million. He is expected to continue receiving compensation from the school through the 2015 season.

Weis and his wife, Maura, have two children, Charlie Jr., and Hannah. Hannah, who turned 16 earlier this year, is afflicted with a rare seizure disorder that has affected her development. She’ll have special needs for life. Weis and his wife started a non-profit organization called Hannah and Friends, designed to help children and adults with special needs.

Weis is not without his own physical ailments. During the past few years, he tore ligaments in his left knee and broke his right knee when he was taken out on the sideline during a Notre Dame game in 2008. He had his right knee replaced after the 2008 season.

Weis’ arrival at KU has fans and alumni buzzing over the potential of this long-dormant football program that constantly operates in the shadows of the ultra-successful men’s basketball program on campus.

Two former Jayhawks now playing in the NFL said Thursday night that they were impressed by KU’s hiring of Weis.

“It’s a new coach, it’s a new opportunity, and there’s always hope,” San Diego Chargers safety Darrell Stuckey said. “I’m forever a Jayhawk, so I’m always going to believe in the Jayhawks. I think it’s obviously going to excite the fans. He’s definitely a guy that’s known, and I think he’s a guy that has something to prove.”

Added Denver Broncos cornerback Chris Harris: “If I was a player there, I’d be very excited. He’s definitely going to bring in some players. Seeing KU do well is important to all the former players because we still follow the team and we want them to do well. I definitely feel like Charlie Weis can be the guy to get the job done. He’s had experience at the top programs and I think he can definitely come in and get us back on track.”

Comments

Eric Guinan 2 years, 4 months ago

I think anyone who is not excited about this hire, should, well, not be that way.

There may not be that much black and white in college football, but the OSU beatdown of us this year was clearly such an event; Turner Gill had no idea what he was doing, period. He would have been equally competent flying the space shuttle. OSU took out their starters IN THE SECOND QUARTER. There is no doubt in my mind that 100 points was easily in reach. If your Div. 1 football team can give up 100 points, you are incompetent, or you team is composed of girl scouts. In this case, the former. And, just like any other game, TG couldn't explain why his team was obliterated, because he didn't know himself!

Bottom line: Our program was on life support in terms of attracting recruits, we need bling, we got bling. How did we go from Gill to constant ESPN coverage?

If anyone is wondering how we got from wondering how on earth we should pay Mangino 2M to wondering how we paid Turner Gill 2 M (for nothing) to paying CW 3 M and a private jet, I think the analysis is as follows:

FINALLY, the powers that be, including our resident chancellor/academician Bernadette Gray-Little, realized that KU HAS TO HAVE A DECENT FOOTBALL TEAM. It’s not optional anymore. Why? Money, that's why. Because when conference realignment comes about NEXT YEAR, or the year after that, we need some standing instead of being cast into the Mountain West, or Conference USA, or wherever. We have this great basketball team, right? Who gave a s$@$%it? Nobody. Not the ACC, certainly not the PAC-10, nobody. I gather, but do not know, that a HUGE pile of money in terms of research grants and the like flows from us being a member of the Big 12. A heckuva lot more than paying Charlie Weis 1M more than Turner Gill and giving him free use of the jet to transfer his family back and forth to Florida. It’s not an optional expense for us anymore, it’s a cost of doing business. Just like paying the water bill. Which is great, because being a basketball school ain't much fun in October.

Godspeed Charlie Weis. I'm tired of losing.

niufan 2 years, 4 months ago

As a NIU fan, I'm a excited that Kansas passed on Dave Doeren of NIU! I wasn't much worried, since Doeren's contract stipulates that any school that hires him before his 5-year contract is up at Northern Illinois University has to pay NIU 1 million dollars to buy out his contract.

KUQuelling 2 years, 4 months ago

Where can I find the video of the introduction?

danmoore 2 years, 4 months ago

Hope Charlie does as poorly at KU as he did at ND.

TommieSmithElbow 2 years, 4 months ago

The constant back-and-forth with facts is confusing, and Sam Mellinger in the KC Star believes it is a move of “desperation”.

A summary of many of the argument points:

Coach was hugely successful at one time in his career. He has held a lot of positions at different places, especially lately. He wore out his welcome so he won’t be missed by some of his employers that he has left. He previously coached at a school whose name is synonymous with the highest achievement of the sport, and didn’t deliver a national championship. Considered to be a genius in one of the key aspects of the sport. He doesn’t like recruiting. He doesn’t like to schmooze with the donors. He is not really the age that many thought we should be looking at. He won’t stay long before he leaves for a better job. He is coming to a program that has seen some glory years fairly recently, but now is rock bottom terrible!

Of course, the year is 1983. The hire is Larry Brown, and yes, if Sam Mellinger had been there, he would have called it a move of “desperation”.

I’m not saying that we’re going on a 28 year run of glory, with 2 national championships, but a little perspective is due (and ironic.)

Give him a chance. Give him our support. Enjoy the journey! Rock Chalk!

Lance Hobson 2 years, 4 months ago

KU football only fans, meet Jaybate. I hope he's not right.

JayHok 2 years, 4 months ago

Looks like Weis will have a five star quarterback in Lawrence this weekend. Dane Crist. He's spent two years in Weis' system already and can play immediately, one year eligibility remaining. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's the #1 quarterback of the 2008 class. 5th year senior 6'4" pocket passer grooming for the NFL.

We are talking about Kansas football here. We're also talking about our head coach who has 4 superbowl rings.

Has Kansas ever had a five star before?

Displayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Geez Mangino, who pi$$ed on your Post Toasties???

Displayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I just can't seem to get past the resemblance of HCCW in the top picture to Patrick in SpongeBob Squarepants. But I really hope this works out for KU!

cconner79 2 years, 4 months ago

I think that this a good hire for KU namely because it begins to get people talking about the football team. I think that if he comes in here with the attitude that he is going to prove all the national people wrong he will be successful. Hopefully this hire will energize the fan base.

squawky 2 years, 4 months ago

This is a major hire for KU, don't fool yourselves.

thunderhawk357 2 years, 4 months ago

I never played football. I have an opinion like anyone else. All I know is you, me, Keitzman, Nick Wright, Dennis Dodd, etc. don't really know what the hell we are talking about. I've heard positives from former football players like Kendall Gammon and Grunhard and the Irish Eyes.com from Rivals beat writer gave great insight to the good and bad which I'll take over most. I want "the guy" like anyone else, but I think we can be fairly confident it's an upgrade over Gill - that's not saying much, but CW knows offense and recruited talent. If he spends as much time as Gundy does on Defense, we're toast - we don't have the talent OSU does. If he's really learned any lessons, let's see where it takes us. Bottom line - we need a solid DC and build the lines. CW excelled at skill positions on O at ND, but failed on the line.

s6u6r6f 2 years, 4 months ago

Did a local donut cartel reassert control over the football coaching hiring process?

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 4 months ago

Fire Gill! Wait...what happened? I just woke up from a 30 day coma...

Kansashawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I really don't care what 99% of us think, but I would be interested to start hearing something from current players. Like it or not, Gill did recruit some studs.

So let's hope CW and DC to-be-named later can get some crunchers on D and get this party started.

RCJH

Lebowski 2 years, 4 months ago

Say what you want about Weis' track record of head coaching and how this isn't going to be a major upgrade. I can accept that.

But this is a major, MAJOR upgrade. And it IS a perfect fit. He's receiving cash from Notre Dame... we gotta send it to Turner Gil. He is going to help the offense a lot. I'm not sure how that's really debatable. What is up in the air is the defensive side of the ball.

kssmiles 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't know if anyone commented yet, but why is there a photo of Bill Parcells under photos of Charlie Weiss

en1gmatikk 2 years, 4 months ago

What is KU's football schedule for next year?

FreddyinLA 2 years, 4 months ago

How many teams’ head coach has 4 Super Bowl rings as a coach? CW had four years where he was part of an organization that won the Lombardi Trophy.

CW worked for two of the best NFL coaches, Tuna and Hoodie.

He has five years of experience as a head coach with the most visible program in the country, at least according to NBC.

We will never lose CW to his alma mater.

We need the toughness of a disciple of Tuna and Hoodie.

His offensive schemes are balance, not some Leach experiment.

Let’s see what happens.

bville_hawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Article that appeared in Bradenton, FL paper. Doesn't Sam Mellinger work for the KC Star?

1bluewhiteguy 2 years, 4 months ago

Loved the "Velour Phog", excited to bring back the "Phat" to KU Football!

dstnku34 2 years, 4 months ago

We could get Dayne Crist for one year. Would you take it? YES! This guy was the number 2 QB in his class coming out of high school, behind only Terrell Pryor! Other QBs in his class, who obviously ranked below him: Landry Jones, RG3, Andrew Luck. I know a lot changes between high school rankings and college, but this kid is a 6'5" 230lbs tank of a QB and a 5-star blue chipper. Let's get this guy for a year!

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Hire Tim Grunhard - right now, I mean today - as offensive line coach. You immediately own the Kansas City recruiting market, you make another big splash and you have your potential future head coach on staff. You also have a former pro player and proven coach handling your offensive line. Wouldn't mine seeing them keep the two assistants who hung around.

irvan moore 2 years, 4 months ago

we need to remember that he has an ego that makes him want to prove the reputation nd gave him far behind, this is his shot at making his legacy, i'm with charlie.

wats211 2 years, 4 months ago

its time to look like jayhawks.......red helmets...yelloe face masks and jayhawk eyes on each side of the helmet...you design enthusiasts(sp)..figure it out...and make the eyes have a fierce appearance...then... block lettering and numbers....blue jersey gray pant...ble and red trim down the leg.....thats a jayhawk!

Fred Davis 2 years, 4 months ago

It's good to see the Haters in full force today...

Let's see, there's been all kind of good and bad points made about Charlie Weis on here... What cracks me up, is while there's plenty of people on here dogging the Charlie Weis hire, who's a better hire at this point? This is Kansas FOOTBALL, not Basketball, so when a coach with Weis' pedigree comes along, you snatch him up.

He had a rough go of it his last three years at ND, but name me a coach who hasn't had a rough go of it at ND since Lou Holtz... That ship sailed 25 years ago. No conference, too rigid of admission standards, and outside of South Bend, nobody cares about the "prestige" of Notre Dame. 34-27, yeah, it's not great, but at KU, to go 34-27 over a five year stretch with three bowl berths would have fans flipping over cars in jubilation after the TGill debacle...

And spare me the worst offense since 1988 at Florida... Hey Gator Fans, I think it's funny how Urban bails a year ago due to "health concerns" and then suddenly after Ohio State opens up he's healthy again... He lost Mullen and Strong, the recruiting fell off, he's near death, or whatever his problem was, and bounced. By Florida standards, not a lot of talent was there, and the QB was a revolving door... Oh, and let's not forget, the SEC has the best defenses in the country right? Right? That's what gets jammed down our throat every year, so is there really too much you can take away from a complete new system, marginal talent and the BEST DEFENSES IN THE COUNTRY every week? The guy had a rough season, so suddenly he's Chuck Long? Not quite.

Charlie Weis is a good hire, he's a huge name, and he's going to put together a good staff. He's keeping Reggie Mitchell, who may be the best recruiter in the country, and now he's pairing him with a coach who looks like he's actually at the same game the rest of us are watching... I've already heard from one player on the team and he likes the move, so that's very encouraging.

If there's one thing to love in sports, it's the comeback story. The guy who had it all, lost it all, and now he's coming back with something to prove. Charlie Weis has something to prove, and he's chosen to do it in the Big 12 and The University of Kansas. Think about that for a minute. A decade ago he was winning a Super Bowl with Tom Brady, now he's getting ready to patrol the sidelines of Memorial Stadium. That's remarkable and I think the upside to this could set the tone for Kansas Football for the next 20 years.

Time will tell, but until then, In The Zeng We Trust.

jhawk2325 2 years, 4 months ago

Please put the names back on the jerseys...

CWGOKU 2 years, 4 months ago

My two personal rules for this web site, never read Tom Keegan, and never read Jaybate. Both are long winded fools. Good hire. My two year boycott of KU football is over

jayhawker4real 2 years, 4 months ago

The biggest concern I see here is over Weis' recruiting ability. I also recall the situation he was in at Notre Dame, competing with perennial national BCS powerhouses for 5 star recruits. That isn't Kansas, and it won't be for several years, if ever. If Charlie can compete well for 4 star recruits and land the occasional headliner, and I can see no reason why a coach of his caliber could not, I think we can expect a lot of 7-5, 8-4 seasons with an occasional 9-3 for icing on the cake. Even with KU's current young men, I see no reason a good coaching staff can not elevate them to a competitive 5-7 or 6-6 which is what I thought Turner Gill and staff should have accomplished the last two years. Look at what a good football coach can do with spot talent and solid coaching just 80 miles west of Lawrence. Injuries were tough on KU this past season, so with those important players back I'm predicting bowl elegibility in 2012 with a good coaching staff leading the Jayhawks football program.

bville_hawk 2 years, 4 months ago

chuckberry post about 3 above yours.

fljayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Anyone other than me hear the rumor that the ND quarterback, a senior with another year of eligibility might follow Weis to KU?

CamelToeCharlie 2 years, 4 months ago

RockChalk26 2 years, 4 months ago

Here is a refreshing Turner Gill/Charlie Weis comparison.

These numbers should turn Weis skeptics into believers.

Ben Kane 2 years, 4 months ago

UPDATE: In the case of Notre Dame transfer Dayne Crist, familiarity breeds opportunity. Upon the hiring of Charlie Weis at Kansas, the likelihood of Crist taking his talents to Lawrence rose exponentially. After all, Weis recruited Crist to the Irish. And, Crist has reacted quickly upon the news of Weis' hiring.

"Dayne Crist will visit Kansas for a potential transfer and reunion with Charlie Weis. He leaves tomorrow morning," sources told Pete Thamel of the New York Times.

Crist would enter the program with an immediate familiarity with Weis' pro style system, after a season where sophomore Jordan Webb struggled as the Jayhawks' starting signal caller.

• Brent Sobleski

cobweb 2 years, 4 months ago

What to we have to lose? Take a f-ing chance!

ja3hawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Apparently, Grunhard on 810 WHB said that his son would be coming with him to KU. So that would make it easier to leave Florida I suppose.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 4 months ago

My buddy who played for Florida a few years back was complaining the other day. His facebook quote "this is the worst offense at Florida in a long time"

This article states Mr. Weiss was the offensive coordinator of Florida's worst offense in a long time.

This was a bad hire, although I hope I'm proved wrong.

AzNHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Rumor has it that Dane Crist may be visiting KU. If he does indeed transfer, enroll and become part of the team it'll be a great addition having an experienced QB. Let's hope he'll work for that position rather than having it given to him because he is the most experienced of the bunch.

wtf45 2 years, 4 months ago

Stop with the fat jokes its not funny anymore.

wtf45 2 years, 4 months ago

Stop with the fat jokes its not funny anymore.

travelhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

There's no satisfying some of you posting "geniuses". You probably have similar brilliant insight as to why somebody like Coach K is such a lousy coach.

Bill Corey 2 years, 4 months ago

justinryman 2 years, 4 months ago

Heard a rumor out of KC a little bit ago that CW is getting 3 million per year. Add that to what he is making from ND, KC and FL I think his family will be living just fine.

Can anyone confirm or deny this rumor about the $3mil?

cobweb 2 years, 4 months ago

ND people are elitist a-holes who would eat their young. Weis has something to prove at 55 years old.

HAWKTOPIA 2 years, 4 months ago

Coach Weis is a great Hire for the KU. I wish some of the comments showed a slice of the optimism both he and the Jayhawk Nation demonstrate while rooting for our football team to improve.

To the fans who dissect Coach Weis's resume to expose any negative occurrence, take a look in the mirror and ask whether we deserve his pedigree. Then reach deep inside, take the burr out of your panties, and be Thankful Christmas came early!

RCJHKU

wtf45 2 years, 4 months ago

Anything on his staff to join him

Krohnutz 2 years, 4 months ago

How did he fit in that plane? Surely there is the jumbo-ass model parked somewhere in secrecy. A Leerjet Super-Foopa 85 version parked in an underground hangar, Edwards AFB style.

"Was this the aircraft you flew in on?"

"Nah, this one carries my luggage, snack cakes, and cheezy poofs. Yeah I want the cheezy poofs."

The K-Staters are already dusting off that old chestnut, "One Kansas farmer feeds 150 people and you... Or one Charlie Weis."

But at least we are getting some use out of that buffalo shower we had installed in the coaching facility.

On a serious note, have we heard if Mitchell is sticking around?

danmoore 2 years, 4 months ago

Enough with the fat jokes. They are getting painfully old and lame and have not heard one that was remotely funny.

shelleysue 2 years, 4 months ago

Matt - any word at all on who might be coming on staff? Any word on the current staff and who Weis might want to keep around?

bradynsdad 2 years, 4 months ago

The travesty is if he does succeed none of the Negative posters on here will say another word. What I would like to see is this. If Weiss succeeds in getting us to a bowl game within two years, all the posters who said this was a bad hire get on here everyday multiple times a day and post that "I was wrong about this hire and I have no concept of what it takes to hire a football coach or coach a football time. I am just a mindless blogger who hides behind my keyboard instead of actually working in the industry." Sound fair? Any takers?

hawkster007 2 years, 4 months ago

All I can say is the Atlantic ocean receded 3 inches from the Florida coastline when Weis' airplane took off for Lawrence...

The state of Florida ain't big enough for both Mangino and Weis, the Florida conservation agency mandated that either Weis or Mangino must go.

Weis knew that Kansas' topography would support his frame because of Mangino's prior tour of duty here, so that...as Paul Harvey would say, "is the rest of the story."

DXJhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

How come they let Jake Sharp call it "The University of Kansas"?

William Blake 2 years, 4 months ago

If the guy does nothing more than look like he is participating in games (instead of being wordless, clueless and looking out into space like Gill did) then at least we will be slightly improved.

So the bar is set about a millimeter off the ground.

How many teams has Weis been with? Do you really think he will even unpack while in Lawrence?

It feels like we are a restaurant hiring a waitress who seems very qualified, but has worked at 30 or 40 other restaurants in the past 5 years.

The formula for success is right next door in Manhattan. KSU was a zilch in football (pretty much like us) and built a program with a guy who put his roots in Manhattan.

Do any of you really think Weis will be here in 5 years?

Until I read something different, my first impression is we just hired a very qualified waitress.

Please, Charlie.... prove me wrong!

FLJHK 2 years, 4 months ago

I can understand the questioning of this choice, and the concern that it is a choice of name over substance. But I think it is justified given the moribund state of Kansas football. I think we needed a bold move to simply get national notice and exposure. It certainly does that.

An analogy. Several years ago I was hurting from a very bad case of tennis elbow. I did all the exercise and therapy but nothing worked. I finally got a shot of cortisone. It was supposed to provide some relief, but was not considered a cure. Well, it provided not only nearly instant relief, but the pain acturally never came back.

I'm optimistic that Charlie Weis is the needed shot of cortisone for KU football.

kdavis022 2 years, 4 months ago

As a former player from 2005 to 2009..How can people not be the least bit excited about this hire?? This is leaps and bounds better than what we had in place. If you honestly supported Turner Gill and think he should have been given another year then you have absolutely no idea of what kind of shape he really left the program in. We have several ineligible players for next season due to academics and disciplinary reasons. No wonder the players there now liked him so much. They didn't have to work hard or do anything. Skipping classes, workouts, etc. That never would have gone over with our previous staff. Weis needs to go in and kick some ass and put some of these new players in their place before we can expect to see any improvement.

As far as Charlie Weis goes. He may not have been the best head coach at Notre Dame, but he went to 3 bowl games in 5 years. Did he have talented athletes? Sure. But let's not forget ND plays one of the toughest schedules in college football year in and year out, not to mention ND's academic standards. He's coached at the highest level in football for a long time and has had success doing so. Bill Belichick wasn't a winner in Cleveland. Maybe KU is Weis' New England...?

KU was in desperate need of a big name to put some life back into the fan base. I went to the games this past year and it was pathetic. 20 to 30,000 fans at a home game, with the majority of them leaving at hafl time. Give me a break. I gotta believe that someone like Weis, with his connections and his pedigree, is capable of bringing in some decent recruits and putting together a good coaching staff. Let's be honest, a great staff is KEY. Having played for Mangino I can honestly say that while he may have been a good football minded guy, he was more of a CEO than anything else. He surrounded himself with people that made him look good, but he really didn't ever do much "coaching" himself. He more or less walked around at practice and yelled at people when they did something wrong. So, if Weis and Zenger somehow manage to bring in someone like Leavitt to be the DC, I'll be thrilled.

Not going to lie, I was on the fence when I heard his name brought up in the last few days, but I'm sure as hell willing to give him a shot. It's a step in the right direction for sure. And even if he doesnt stay long, maybe he can at least make KU respectable again like we were just 4 years ago. I'm not asking for a national championship, but a winning record would be nice again dont you think?

MtOread88 2 years, 4 months ago

Now that KU has hired their coach - Matt Tait can get some sleep! Thanks again Matt!

Get rested Matt, because we'll need you to turn your attention back to the realignment topic soon to feed our insatiable appetite for wild rumors and speculation!! ;)

troutsee 2 years, 4 months ago

Tim Grunwald has be hired as O-line Coach? One of my friends just called me and told me he had heard this.

ja3hawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Please, please please.... get Dayne Crist to come play QB!!

Scut Farkus 2 years, 4 months ago

Unless I missed something, I haven't seen any reference to his salary. I'm going to think it's pretty reasonable as ND is still paying him off. I'll take a wait and see attitude, but he has done some good things (and some bad). I don't like the way he bailed on the Chiefs but I also understand he didn't see eye-to-eye with Haley.

ihateroy 2 years, 4 months ago

How many signatures would it take to get a ban on Jaybate? I would be the first to sign!

hihawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Well, this is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. This will be a lot better then what KU got from the idiot from nebraska.

Why is jaybate commenting on a football story, because he flaps at the mouth about things he knows nothing about. You can tell that in the long garbage he put out that nobody reads. Weis, a good hire for what KU had to chose from with the coaches out there at the present. Remember the words from here "gill is not a coach and never was one".

Things are looking up for KU. KU would take Weis's previous record anytime, rather then the one gill gave them.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 4 months ago

The PROS of this hire

1. Interest- Big big name
  2. Money- He will bring some donors knocking
  3. Recruiting- First, are people really scared of his recruiting? Go look up numbers.
  4. Recruiting again- " Hey Kid, I can get you in the nfl. I was kind of a big deal, you see I know a lot of guys. You come here, you play in the nfl. simple. as. that."

CONS

1. His last 3 years at ND scare me. Simple, you cannot go 3-9 at that school. 20 of his losses were by 7 points or less. But not a great last 3 years.
  2. This isn't really a con yet, but Cords. He needs to make a big splash with the cords. Keep Mitchell and get some big name Cords.

Overall, I like the hire, but im not sold. We seen his teams being able to start great, I think we are a bowl team the next two years. Its the years after the next two that im interested in.

coachmatt 2 years, 4 months ago

Why does everyone who disagrees with this hire feel the need to bash the program? If Coach Weis didn't think he could win at KU, then he wouldn't have agreed to come here. Let the man do his job. If you don't have anything good to say, keep it to yourself. You really want to be the person that says "I told you so!" in 4 years, if our program fails??? Let real KU fans support the team and all you naysayers join the SEC

Goose_88 2 years, 4 months ago

Matt, any news, snippets, rumblings, anything at all on potential coordinators, position coaches, etc? TG was quick on the trigger announcing his staff so wondered if CW would be similar. Whats the thought about Grundy (Tim not Mike) being looked at for the o-line coaching position? Levitt for DC? Mitchell as recruiting coord? Crist transfer?

This is exactly what this hire does, it gets the wheels turning and makes people actually talk about KU football. Will it work? Who knows. The thing is there is no sure thing hire in college football, at least not one that was willing to take this job. We start at the bottom: bottom of the Big 12, bottom of the def stats, bottom of recruiting, bottom of a lot. But the key is, we start...now lets go.

troutsee 2 years, 4 months ago

We need to get behind this hire. This guy has a wealth of coaching experience at the highest levels of football. I, for one, am thankful that we were able to secure a guy with his experience. Hey, KU is not going to get the "perfect hire." But, considering our plight at the present time, this was a great hire. Welcome to Lawrence Charlie and family. I hope you are happy and that you are able to put the pride back into Jayhalk foortball. Let's start with recruiting some stud D linemen from the JC ranks.

theend 2 years, 4 months ago

Why is Jaybate commenting on a football story???

theend 2 years, 4 months ago

Yawn.....this will change very little for KU Football. Ku will have a decent football program every 15-20 years......that's it. Weis is not gong to change that.

cobweb 2 years, 4 months ago

Hey! No guts, no glory. Weis is super-motivated.

jhawkln 2 years, 4 months ago

When is Tait going to update us on the coaching search again? It's been a while.

shufly 2 years, 4 months ago

All you nay sayers, you expressed the same sentiments about the Bill Self hire. If Turner Gill can't sell you on Charlie, you need help.

manginorh00lz 2 years, 4 months ago

Why is jaybate having a conniption over Weis' Catholicism? Gill was infinitely more outspoken about his religion. I doubt Weis ever even mentions it in the locker room.

RockChalk26 2 years, 4 months ago

Good news, if he doesn't do a good job while here at Kansas he will more then likely quit on his own, saving us 6 million bucks that we would have paid to fire him.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 4 months ago

Great...Jaybate is posting on football articles! So not we will have 500 comments on this thread and his 3 will take up most of the entire page. Finger scrolling, get ready!

theboehr 2 years, 4 months ago

"Eleven days, numerous flights and countless hours of conversations later"

11 days X 24 hours = 264 hours

Counted.

The_Real_Hawkman 2 years, 4 months ago

Weis need to make a run at Dorial Green-Beckham, not commented #1 WR from Springfield Mo.

Keith Hummel 2 years, 4 months ago

I have to admit - I'm having a hard time getting excited about this hire. There are just too many questions. Here are the top 10 that are currently bouncing around in my head:

1. The personality problems at Notre Dame are likely to be problems at Kansas as well, at least in some measure. What are the chances he has changed, or will change those traits at age 55?
  2. He's an Offensive guru taking over a program with the worst defense in recent Div-1 memory. Isn't that a problem?
  3. If he's such an Offensive guru, why was Florida's Offense almost as bad as Kansas last year with far better talent?
  4. Is his offense even compatible with the College game, and does KU have a prayer of finding the type of QB he needs to execute it?
  5. His offenses have been pass-heavy but he's taking over a team that's loaded with running backs. Will he be able to adapt his offensive expertise to the talent at hand?
  6. He reportedly left KC for Florida for personnal reasons, and very recently restated his desire to stay in Florida (for personnal reasons), but blew Florida off at the drop of a hat when Dr. Z came calling. Did he really go to Florida for personnal reasons, or was it something else?
  7. Four jobs in four years. How long will he be at Kansas before he gets happy feet again?
  8. He has major health problems that will almost certainly prevent him from being effective in the months to come. How do you hire assistants, visit recruits, sell the program, etc. when you can hardly walk?
  9. For much of the season at Florida he was unable to stand on the sideline, and had to use a cane when he did walk. How is he going to coach from the sidelines, argue calls with officials, chase down assistants, etc. if he can't even stand for long periods of time?
  10. How does a guy who's spent most of his coachng career on the East Coast, or at Notre Dame, recruit kids from Texas to play for Kansas?

And those are just the first ten that pop in my head - there are many more. I REALLY want to get excited about this hire, but there are just too many questions. Dr. Z - please put our fears to rest and help us understand your wisdom.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Zenger has become the Manchurian Athletic Director, father.

Quick, where is Angela Lansbury? Who is Angela Lansbury? Is BGL Sheahon's Angela Lansbury?

Oh, my deity in the Kansas sky!!!!

Charlie Weis?

Just convert Memorial Stadium to offices and rent it out to some oligarch that wants to start yet another money grubbing institute, father, one of those institutes for the tax exempt advancement of an oligarch's own agenda. Let him rename Memorial Stadium anything he wants. Let him cover it with crass commercial murals, if he must, but...

Don't hire Charlie Weis.

Announce that KU is giving up football, because scientific research validates that even minor impacts in football generate accumulating brain trauma that predispose football players to manifest early onset Alhemiers and dementia.

Please wake me up and tell me Sheahon did not really hire Charlie Weis, father.

I will convert to Roman Catholicism if Sheahon Zenger and Tom Keegan coordinates some Talking Points indicating that after some reconsideration, they have decided to go in another direction!!!!

Like they have decided to hire the Lawrence High football coach, or even just the top Mary Kay saleswoman.

I don't care.

Hire Conner Teahan for god's sakes. Forgive me, father. He's Catholic. I'm not against a Catholic coach. I'm not even against a Notre Dame coach. But hire us a good Notre Dame coach would you? Hire us one who has had good success recruiting players to Notre Dame at least. Give us some kind of hope!!!

Father, I will promise Tom and Cheapen I will convert.

Heck, I will convert to Eastern Orthodox Catholicism, if it will help.

I will go to the Hagia Sophia and start Lent right now, if that's what it takes.

I know I'm not supposed to bargain with god, father, I know I have sinned bargaining with god, but let him take it out on me, not on KU!!!!

Please, please, please, not Charlie Weis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone call Riggo.

Someone call Nolan Cromwell.

Someone call Alf Landon's ghost.

Hire the quarterback off the recent Orange Bowl team.

Hire the Kardashians.

But please tell me hasn't hired Charlie Weis!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Transcription truncated...)

(Note; All fiction. No malice.)

sheahoRn 2 years, 4 months ago

Since I know Ahperse like to experiment with drugs, tell him to put this hire in his pipe and smoke it! Not only did I hire a guy with name recognition that will be able to get into the living rooms of top recruits I also saved us if conference realignment roars it's head again. This hire gives us national attention to college football fans and also shows other conferences that we are at least trying to do something on the football field. So Ahperse shut your yapper while I make a couple of calls to the big 10. Oh, but first I have to speak with Ray B about something...Stay tuned beeatch!

Your BFF sheahoRn

DocBean 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm hoping Weis can bring in Dayne Crist who's a stud QB from Notre Dame that loves Charlie Weis, and is transferring.

He'll be able to start for us day 1.

shelleysue 2 years, 4 months ago

Pretty much everywhere I read, this hire has made KU an even bigger laughing stock than we were the last two years. I'm starting to get a little bit angry. I say cough up the money to put together a ridiculously awesome staff, get out there and turn this program around and shut these people up! RCJH!

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

Charlie Weis?

Someone has to be evacuating their colons on this one, father.

Father, tell me Sheahon is pulling our legs.

Holy mother of all that is great and good in his name, tell us this is one of those jokes that some journalist mistook for the truth.

Not Charlie Weis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd rather have Fizzou's specialty team's coach than Charlie Weis.

Help me, help me, help me, I think I'm going insane, father.

Zenger didn't hire Charlie Weis in the same universe that KU plays football in, did he?

This is a dhs/cia/dia/oni/g2/fbi/nsa/cbs/nbc/abc/cnn/msnbc/Fox mind control experiment that will quickly be retracted, won't it father?

Tell me, tell me, tell me, please, tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Father I cannot help recalling the old Star Kist tuna ad.

Sorry Charlie, we don't want failed Notre Dame coaches with good Catholic connections.

We want successful D1 coordinators with good recruiting connections in Texas, or Florida, or Namibia, fergoshsakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ooops, excuse me, father. I really am not myself today.

This is like having a nightmare where Zenger alienates Self, Self leaves for North Carolina, and Zenger hires Ben Howland.

Oooooooooooooooooh, noooooooooooooooooo!

First Zenger fires a guy he shouldn't fire, because Zenger apparently lost his nerve. Surely that was a sin he will have to confess, father.

Next he hires perhaps the worst available candidate for the job.

What can the S-Man do to top this?

Betray Jesus himself?

Announce he is painting the Campanile purple?

Sheahon Zenger is obviously Mossad, or MI-5, or Chinese intelligence, or IRA sent to try to destabilize the heartland.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

'What Follows Is a Transcript of jaybate's First Football Confession (and a repost from the basketball page when this morning revealed 'the horror' was real)"

Forgive me, father, for I have sinned and I am soon going to again. I am going to post a transcript of this football confession on KUSports.com under a basketball thread, because the football thread announcing Charlie Weis' hiring is not accepting posts, and I don't know anyone over on the football threads any way.

Please, father, forgive me for I have sinned and I am not Catholic and this is my first confession, but please, Father, tell me they are not hiring Charley Weis!!!!!

Please, father, please tell me god will not permit this.

This is the worst of all possible worlds, father, worse even than Mitt Romney becoming President of anything!

Father, Charlie Weis could not recruit at Notre Dame!!!!!

Father, Mt. Oread is not Golgotha for KU football. KU has done nothing to deserve this hire, father, you've got to believe me.

Yes, yes, yes, I have lusted after women other than my wife, but was too afraid to actually cheat.

Yes, yes, yes, I have gone fly fishing and skiing on business trips, but I never billed for the time on the slopes.

Yes, yes, yes, I have used hateful language about the University of Missouri and I have thought of tying a chain to the axle of my SUV and pulling down one of the columns in Columbia.

Yes, yes, yes, I have annoyed many people with posts vastly too long for mortals to read.

Yes, yes, yes, I regularly check the adult video previews in my hotel room, but am too cheap to go ahead and buy them.

Yes, yes, I once thought about driving to Chapel Hill and sneaking an exploding cigar into Dean's collection of Cuban stogies.

Yes, yes, yes, I have occasionally had lustful thoughts about cheerleaders.

Is that enough, father? Will you and god please not let Zenger hire Charlie Weis now?

The only people that can really cheer this hire, father, are, god forgive me, a few Catholic folks that would like a Bridge partner for a dime a point, right, father? Like Tom and Sheahon? Right?

Charlie Weis is just about the worst hire Zenger could have made and it is now clear that Zenger needs to be fired.

Forgive me father, for I have sinned about saying Zenger should be fired.

Did I, jaybate, the voice of crimson and blue reason,who doesn't care a whit about KU football, just say the AD should be fired?

Did I say an AD ought to be fired for his first fire and first hire?

Yes, father, I did. Please forgive me, but I did.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 4 months ago

I am mostly excited about this hire, but it's the press that has me doing a constant double-take. First, I hear he can't recruit, but then I hear he can and see he had success at ND (of course, many have). Then I hear he can't coach, but I read about what a fantastic offensive coach he is. It just seems there is no consensus about this dude. People seem to like AND dislike him for the exact same reasons. I guess we'll just have to see, but I am about 100% sure this will be better than what we've had for the last two years, so I'm game!

vd 2 years, 4 months ago

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO................. We hire a guy who couldn't turn around ND????????????????? If you can't make ND a winner, how the he!! can he be a winner at KU? Does KU have a TV contract with NBC? This is bad. Terrible. Horrible.

tical523 2 years, 4 months ago

I think everyone agrees, if you like the hire or not, that time will tell. . . . but I do think we all agree that success in football really comes down to your coordinators and assistants. If Weis hires an excellent staff I believe this could be a great hire. I am sure that he is motivated to beat some of these legendary and even up and coming Big XII coaches. Come on Charlie, bring in Leavitt for D coordinator and keep R Mitchell and D Beaty on staff. Rock Chalk!!!

hailtoku 2 years, 4 months ago

Is her going to be at the game Sat?

NorthStarHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Coach Weis....welcome to KU!

AD Zenger....well done. I loved the way you ran this search. The sound of crickets was a refreshing change!

Rock Chalk

gojhawks94 2 years, 4 months ago

I have to wonder who some of you were hoping would be the new coach. I think this is a great hire. Our coach has name recognition and ties to the NFL, which is the key draw in recruiting these days. Did you think a program that sank so far so fast was going to lure away a Miles or a Kiffin or another big-name coach. Remember, we fired the mist successful coach in decades because he hurt players' feelings. This program has to be successful for Kansas not to be left out in all the conference mayhem, and to start to be relevant again you have to recruit talent. I think Weis will be able to do that because of the NFL ties. I think it's a bold move, exactly the kind that was needed.

manginorh00lz 2 years, 4 months ago

It's pretty hilarious that all the people that hate this hire are the same people that supported Gill.

Being wrong truly is a mindset. It's ok though, you have people like me that will guide you through the darkness.

FCCoHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I think this could potentially be a great hire, but I am concerned about how he will recruit for KU. It is not ND, so it will be tougher to get the top recruits. I was not a big Weiss fan while he was at ND, he seemed to be kind of an arrogant jerk at times. Granted, only what is shown by media, so certainly will give him the benefit of the doubt. Interesting that the Florida coach called him a "family man". I do like the name recognition for the program. It does put some immediate energy into the program and thrust it into the national spotlight which is great. Hopefully, Weiss learned some things from his ND tenure as a head coach and handles things a little different this time around here at KU. Time will tell. Biggest issue now is to get on the recruiting trail. I don't know what his staff was like at ND, but assuming with all his years of coaching experience he will be able to pick out good assistant coaches. Go 'Hawks!!!

mustlehustle 2 years, 4 months ago

Where are all the posters this morning or should I say "im-posters" that were demanding that Kansas hire a "defensive-minded" coach? Where are the posters this morning that were throwing the names of the hottest coaching talent around and assured and speaking like they would surely consider the Kansas position?

There is a reason that Texas said thanks/no thanks when Charlie Weis was trying to get out of Kansas City. There is a reason that at Notre Dame, with rich football tradition and a pipeline of every Jesuit high school in the country, they ran Charlie Weis out of town. He was inept in the locker room., his players quit playing for him, was inept in the family room of recruits, and most of all, became intolerable to the Irish Nation.

In one short season at Florida, he's managed to produce the "worst offensive stats in Florida football since 1988.) Much like the cup of coffee he stayed long enough for with the Chiefs....his days were numbered and the Gator Nation wasn't going to stand for it.

Let's see...Kansas with this hire, didn't address the need of a defensive minded coach (by the majority of posters here) certainly didn't address bringing someone in with any recruiting ties or relationship in either Texas, California or Florida, to a Kansas Football program that may possibly be at its all-time low in every category.

Kansas needed a quick-fix that would be a player's coach and someone that has a well-developed pipeline of recruiting and relationships in Texas. Their solution, bring in a failed college football coach, with absolutely zero recruiting ties to the Big 12 territory, and if that wasn't enough, an abrasive and divisive personality. He couldn't win the recruiting pipeline to his "own" alma mater at Notre Dame, and with the talent pool at Florida, managed to produce the worst offensive output the school has seen in over 20 years.

The reason Charlie Weis was available is no other school, regardless of the divsion, would have considered hiring him. This is what Mike Tyson referred to as "reaching into oblivia" and seeing what possibly could trump the Turner Gill hire. This isn't a "find" this isn't a stroke of brilliance...this hire simply weakened an already staggered Jayhawk Football Nation.

Kevin Crook 2 years, 4 months ago

Wow, he's got a lot to prove. I thought is we needed some ultra hungry high energy coordinator from a successful program. I wouldn't call Mr. Weis high energy. He's going to need to assemble a nasty staff with deep recruiting ties to Texas. Wouldn't hurt to bring his buddy Romeo over from the Chiefs as the DC. I'm dubious of this hire, but I am pulling for him!

Beate Williams 2 years, 4 months ago

I think this was a terrible hire. Other than what he did on a high school level he has not demonstrated he is a good coach or recruiter. He went to two bowl games at ND as a result of the recruits that Willingham had recruited. When they left he was mediocre at best, I think the first season after the 2nd bowl he went 3-9 or something similar. Was never over .500 again. I think we could have done much better but time will tell. This is very disappointing when you think about all of the coaches that are out there who are ready to move and have proven they can coach and recruit. Vamos a ver.

justinryman 2 years, 4 months ago

People that don't think he can coach need to look at the Patriots since he has left. They haven't won a playoff game. The Chiefs have been offensively challenged this year after putting up good numbers the year before.

Sure his track record shows better to the pros, he did however have good seasons at ND (want to say it was other guys players, than Gill lost with Mangino's, it goes both ways). Give the guy some time to bring in guys that can play in his system.

I am sure he has learned from his mistakes and will be better for that.

To say his offense at Florida was terrible this past year, you have to remember he was coaching for a "defense first" guy. They don't want the offense to get headlines or be flashy, they want them to control the clock and play field position. Example Bo Pelini at Nebraska, do you think Tim Beck forgot how to run a high powered offense after he left Kansas?

First choice? No. But I am happy with it, one of the best ones we could have gotten, and you can't judge him this November. Come late August 2012, game one, sure a little bit. Next November after Thanksgiving weekend, sure we can judge how he was as coach after one season at the University of Kansas and talk about what's to come from him.

Ben Kane 2 years, 4 months ago

Succeeding at kansas is not easy for any football coach, and no one hire would possibly guarantee it. We needed someone who can immediately do 2 things.

1. bring in the talent. there is no doubt that with his pedigree he will be able to bring players to Lawrence that other possible hires just wouldn't have the credibility with the kids to get.

2. a name that will excite the fan base. this is a homerun here. is he the greatest coach in the world, i don't know, probably not, but he is a name that everyone knows, absolutely.

John Mueller 2 years, 4 months ago

I think it is a great hire and an exciting day for Kansas football!

If Coach Weiss can build a staff capable of developing our players into NFL prospects, we can win at Kansas.

We need 4 things: 1. Great University, check 2. Great coaching staff capable of recruiting and developing players for future enshrinement in Canton, he needs to build his staff, but lets say check 3. Players, if number 2 is a given then the only thing missing is the student and alumni support to attract talent, which leads me to number 4 4. Environment - We need to turn Memorial Stadium into Allen Fieldhouse. We have the absolute best college basketball venue in the nation, bar none. We need to build the same thing at Memorial stadium. When a recruit comes into Allen Fieldhouse, they sign, when a kid comes into Memorial stadium, they nap.

It is time for every Jayhawk to buy their tickets, plan their tailgate and build their falls around KU home games. We do have a responsibility here to help build this thing.

What in the world does OU have on Kansas football? TRADITION and EXPECTATIONS. That's it.

Norman, OK is a pit. We have a better University, a more beautiful campus, a cooler town, we have a better coach (Bob Stoops doesn't know Tom Brady or Giselle!!)

But, what we are missing is Bud Wilkinson.

Well, we just hired him.

We have some tradition, Sayers and Riggins aren't a bad start, but the future of Kansas football is NOW.

This is our time.

Support Kansas Football with your checkbook, your attendance, your passion and your noise.

If we can turn Memorial Stadium into Allen Fieldhouse, we can leave mediocrity behind forever.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!

GO, FIGHT, WIN KANSAS!!!!

milehighhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Strange but True: If you read between the lines of Stuckey's quote, it actually sounds like he is Not Excited by the hire.

rockemchalkemrobots 2 years, 4 months ago

This seems like the safe play of the remaining obvious candidates. Low risk, low reward. If Weis leaves after 3 seasons, few will call for Zenger's job because of it. Instead of trying to find a diamond in the rough, he got the biggest CZ he could find. Oh well, the floor is 4 wins, the ceiling is 8. Hope we trend toward the ceiling.

Keith Richards 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree pretty classless to talk about someone's weight. If you wouldn't say it to his face, just keep it to yourself.

Tait-Nice work this last 11 days. This article was fantastic and everyday I am reminded why you should be the editor here and Keegs should find a cardboard box and join the Occupy movement.

pjseele 2 years, 4 months ago

I think it's a great hire with nothing to lose and no way to go but up! BUT you all have to give him time and not run him off in 2yrs. Support him or he will jump ship!!

mustlehustle 2 years, 4 months ago

Of all the choices available....this is what happens when you hire a tier 3 athletic director and have a hapless search committee to steer a fractured program back to what only one can hope to be a level of mediocrity some day.

Charlie Weis was arguably the biggest bust in Notre Dame history..and when you factor in the likes of Gerry Faust, that's saying a lot. At his "own" alma mater, Weis alienated fans and boosters, with his arrogance "hey kid, get off my lawn" approach to public relations, and then an absolute mess of an offensive scheme.

Then, if that wasn't enough, the brain trust responsible for this hire, didn't bother to lookk at the abominal record this year at Florida. Per the Gainesville Sun, and I quote, "His offense this year was statistically one of the worst in the SEC and the worst Gator offense since 1988."

The Gator nation thanks you for this hire and owes Kansas a debt of gratitude.

Once again, Kansas has done the unthinkable...bring a guy from the opposite side of the globe, with no recruiting ties or for that matter, no proven track record at all in the college coaching ranks, and the only proof there is has but a failure.

IF nothing else, it proves beyond a shadow of a doubt the Jayhawk brain trust clearly has no idea regarding the current landscape of college football, realignment, recruiting, facilities, and what it takes to begin the process of getting out of the basement of the Big 12 Conference.

RockCaCO3 2 years, 4 months ago

To all the posts about weight; way to keep it classy.

Welcome to KU Coach!

RCJHGKU

jhwkfan162515 2 years, 4 months ago

Weis was 35-27 at Notre Dame. By ND standards, that's a failure. But everyone these days fails at ND, because ND's standards are too high. By KU standards, 35-27 would be awesome. The more I think about it, the more I like this hire. As long as he doesn't lose to the North Dakota State's of this world, I'll be satisfied with him as KU coach.

Welcome to Kansas, HCCW! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

seewillie 2 years, 4 months ago

Why in the hell did they put a picture of Bill Parcells up there? Weiss is way fatter.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

It's really interesting to see the wide range of emotions here.

I'm personally underwhelmed. But it should be an improvement from what we had. As far as baseball analogies go - I'm calling this a ground rule double.

When I look at the above picture, I just keep hearing " It's not easy bein' me".....

Kevin Studer 2 years, 4 months ago

If nothing else, this is a hire that will draw major interest to the program (not to mention recruits) as well as raise the aura of the program around the country and league. Be happy, Jayhawk fans. We just went from Turner Gill to Charlie Weis. Major upgrade.

Ashwin Rao 2 years, 4 months ago

Ahperse, are you going to change your name now? :) Or will you wait until the news conference of the first game next year to create a new one?

Lance Hobson 2 years, 4 months ago

We'll see. I'm cautiously excited, but we'll see. He can barely walk so I don't know how that will help him with the grueling recruiting trail. Or maybe his name is enough and his assistants can get it done. His Notre Dame teams were good early with the players he inherited and then went down hill with his own guys. But, that was a while ago and he's learned a lot, so we'll see.

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 4 months ago

Ahperse - dude where are ya ? Are you gonna support this hire ? Hope you do because we don't want to see you bitch about him after every single football article over the next 4 years.

JayHok 2 years, 4 months ago

Wow. In shock. Four NFL championship rings. He's coached in five super bowls. Head coach of a New Jersey championship high school team. Connections on all sides of the US. A short stint as a defensive coach in the NFL. Total of five years BCS head coaching experience. Head coach of two BCS bowls in 5 years. Outrecruited by Florida in his final two years at ND, he openly admitted, but what he didnt openly talk about is ND has pretty tough academic standards----------Screw the analysis of ND's admissions policies, Holy #%}%#!!!! We just stole the offensive coordinator of the Florida Gators? The Kansas Jayhawks, that's right, the Kansas Jayhawks, have a real coach that QB's wanna play for! Does Bob Stoops' resume look like this? Or Mack Brown's? We have a head coach with Four super bowl rings! Four!

As a side, I attended the Oregon-UCLA PAC 12 championship game in Eugene. Sat on the seventh row right next to the field, looking over the corner of the endzone. Quite an atmosphere, reminiscent of how things were at Memorial Stadium with Reesing. One huge thing I noticed was the pit feel of the stadium. The fans totally circled the field, UCLA players couldn't escape the noise. The accoustics were wonderful, much like Allen Fieldhouse, but not nearly as perfect. But still really solid for an outdoor venue.

If Zenger and our boosters are serious about this, and it appears they are, it is a pretty simple process to lower the field, add seats and get rid of the track. All you need is a couple Excavaters and a plan. Charlie Weis-Tom Brady Field could be ready for kickoff in August 2012. It would be completely worth it.

It's time to get serious on this. Also the practice field needs to be surrounded with either concrete blocks or thick canvas on the metal fence. We have the big boys on staff now, the Patriots certainly didn't win their championships with Weis running his playbook at a local park.

Nice, albeit completely shocking, home run Zenger!

hdotk 2 years, 4 months ago

Weiss has 35-27 at Notre Dame. There was a 3-9 and 6-6 season towards the end of that as well. He's a big name because of his Patriot's ties, I doubt his coaching ability.

manginorh00lz 2 years, 4 months ago

Bonus:

We can all still wear our "Our Coach Can Eat Your Coach" shirts.

gardenjay 2 years, 4 months ago

Are you kidding me? We get a name-brand coach who fits so well with our campus, which is all about coming back from adversity?

I cannot believe how LUCKY we are to land this guy!!!!!(!(&#(*&(@#

Enough of basketball already - bring on the F-ball recruiting articles and all the frilly tidbits of the Weis family move to Lawrence. There should be a triumph parade down Jayhawk Blvd just for getting this far..........can't wait until Spring ball, and hope he brings some players with him; why not? Bring 'em from the NFL if they have eligibility.

Here is a joyous statement which I had to encode to express how over-the-top I feel: Un_(&(@#$&)(#@!)_believable!!!! ))(#@$)#@$&#@$(@!!!!

TheDonnieBoyRPh73 2 years, 4 months ago

Didn't see this coming. Good offensive minded coach, like the "Fatman". I hope he can recruite and hire a good DC! I like it.

texashawk10 2 years, 4 months ago

I have major doubts about his head coaching abilities, but he is a name that will pique the interest of the casual fan because of his credentials and that could very well make his hire worth more than his on-field record in the long term for getting KU football to a better place. I guess now we just have to wait and see if he retains Beaty and Mitchell and who he brings in as coordinators and position coaches to see how much he understands how to be successful in the Big 12 and with the current personnel KU has.