Originally published December 6, 2011 at 04:12p.m., updated December 7, 2011 at 02:44a.m.

Bill Self meets with President in Osawatomie

KU hoops coach learns that Barack Obama is 'huge basketball fan'

Kansas head men's basketball coach Bill Self met with President Barack Obama in Osawatomie on Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2011, before taking on Long Beach State later in the day. Obama was on the campaign trail and made the stop in the Kansas town. Self also discussed meeting former presidents during his time coaching at KU.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self met with President Barack Obama at a meet-and-greet session before the President's speech on Tuesday at Osawatomie High School.

"Great day. Just met President Obama. So down-to-earth, loves ball. Heading back to Allen to get to work. Game-Day. See you guys at 8," Self wrote on Twitter.

Self during his pre-game KU-Long Beach State radio interview said he received an e-mail on Monday inviting him to meet with the President.

“I said, ‘I can’t make it. It’s Game-Day. I’ve got shoot-around,’” Self said. “They (Obama staff members) e-mailed back and said, ‘He understands. Just come and meet him.’ I drove to Osawatomie and we visited a while.

“The talk of him being a huge basketball fan is not just talk,” Self added. “He asked me about our team. I told him, ‘I like our guys. They try awfully hard, but we need to play at a higher level.’’’

The two shared a light moment.

“I said, ‘With all due respect, Mr. President, don’t pick us again (in his pre-NCAA Tournament bracket).’ He picked us to win it all the last two years. He said, ‘You cost me money,’’’ Self added with a laugh. “I said, ‘Not as much as you cost me.’’’

Self said he was appreciative of the time with the President.

“It’s amazing what the president goes through in daily life. Every second of the day is allotted,” Self said. “He gave me six minutes, and I think we were allotted five. It was one of those once-in-a-lifetime opportunities.

“As an American you have so much respect for that office,” Self said. “For me it was a no-brainer to go.”

Self has now met three Presidents: Obama; President George W. Bush in the White House after KU won the title in 2008 and President Bill Clinton at KU when Clinton visited campus with Bob Dole.

Comments

Bruce Bertsch 3 years, 9 months ago

Bill Self could make it, but our Guv was too busy to see the POTUS.

hawker07 3 years, 9 months ago

I heard the Gov. was at a support meeting for victims of abusive children. When you skip meetings, you relapse. He didn't wanna lose his two-week chip. Obama could empathize, I'm sure.

Beth Ennis 3 years, 9 months ago

I thought the paper said last night that he had a meeting at Wichita State University. At any rate, I would think he could have rescheduled with the victims, and if not, then he did the right thing IF that is in fact what who his meeting was with.

pooflingingmonkey 3 years, 9 months ago

hawker07, this was intended for you. And of course for the Gov, who has managed to bounce back from the abuse he suffered at the hands of a twittering teen.

Jeff Kilgore 3 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, no other incumbent president ever spent tax dollars unwisely.

sevenyearhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

The Lieutenant Governor was there with his family and Lynn Jenkins, the Congress Rep (R) for that district was also there.

Kevin Yoder (R for Joco and Dgco) was bleating, er tweeting about the speech ... but I don't know if he was actually in Oz.

SarcasmIsALostArt 3 years, 9 months ago

According to her facebook page...no she was not.

sevenyearhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Nevermind ... thought I read that she WAS going to be there.

If it'd been W, I'm sure she'd been there on her knees.

sigh

s6u6r6f 3 years, 9 months ago

rvjayhawk, you're right! I have no idea how much it costs the POTUS to travel, and I do not care. That's because I'm rich. Filthy rich. That's why I don't pay any income tax. My lawyers have it all fixed up for me! I love America! Now get out of my yard!

MDHawk 3 years, 9 months ago

So you're saying we can't be sports fans and keep up with politics? I'm afraid, good sir/madam, that you really have no idea how many pursuits some of us juggle in our everyday lives. We just also choose to spend some time reading about and discussing our Jayhawks. You assume too much.

llmccal 3 years, 9 months ago

The President needs to get out and educate the misinformed such as this message. Better to travel to update the citizens than take the entourage every weekend to Crawford, TX.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 9 months ago

Too busy? One of this years dumber comments. At least do a little research.

danno1313 3 years, 9 months ago

Cant blame him. Not missing anything.

jhawkroger 3 years, 9 months ago

Guv. is smarter than I gave him credit for. Coach should have stayed in Lawrence and had passing practice. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. 22 to's will get us beat by 50 on Sat. Hope the Pres stays out of Kansas and coach's life this weekend.

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 9 months ago

Two great people. Too bad Bush was on office when KU won the National Championship.

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 9 months ago

Because I believe President Obama really likes the University of Kansas. I think there is a reasoning behind him picking Kansas two years in a row. Plus I didn't like George W. Bush.

ejlumus 3 years, 9 months ago

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 9 months ago

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,? I am the idiot?

Beth Ennis 3 years, 9 months ago

at least MJHawk was honest about not liking Bush. Honesty is a good policy.

MDHawk 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm sorry, but I don't care what your political affiliations are...meeting the President would be an amazing experience, regardless.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 9 months ago

I bet you get a thrill up your leg when you hear Obama speak. You should have a play date with your BFF Chris Mathews.

Ryan Shelton 3 years, 9 months ago

Self said it best: "As an American, you have so much respect for that office." It doesn't matter how you feel about the President; respect the office of the President of the United States.

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 9 months ago

No practice with the team? Personally I would have loved to see TRob swat one of the President Obama's shots back to Washington.

XEPCT 3 years, 9 months ago

President Obama loves ball; fact, not politics.

Matt Strausz 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm thankful for the BCS this year. At least we don't have to watch our hawks give up 50 again in a playoff game.

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 9 months ago

Too late, the NCAA already exists and is not going away :)

Shawn Darius 3 years, 9 months ago

The Pres picked us to win it all two years in a row...it is obvious he supports our 'hawks. Barack Chalk Jayhawk!

frompekka2sasha 3 years, 9 months ago

President Obama is a great guy. Unfortunately I know way too many people who are unemployed because his greatness is not in understanding an economy.

Still cool that Self got to hang out with him. Heck I can't imagine meeting two Presidents in such a short span.

Danny Hernandez 3 years, 9 months ago

I too know lots that are unemployed and many more that are...sure can't blame Obama that they lost their jobs...how about blaming the GOP during Bush's reign or the fact that China for years was the supplier of goods and that America had priced themselves out of the market...Me, I won't blame Obama that my some of my friends are unemployed. I'm earning great bucks as is my wife...right business I guess.

ejlumus 3 years, 9 months ago

-1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 3 years, 9 months ago

The president made people lose jobs? haha. I know a lot of people who lost their jobs, but many lost them while Bush was still president.

Matt Strausz 3 years, 9 months ago

Dems will still be blaming GW in 20 years, when will it be long enough that the issues are mistakes of BO's actions?

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 9 months ago

Justanotherhawk, explain how it's the Presidents fault we are in a recession? (use facts and cite any source you use)

frankfussman 3 years, 9 months ago

I have sent this email to the BBC regarding their erroneous newsitem on their website. It pertains to Coach Bill Self.

BBC mistake: "US President Barack Obama's Texas Kansas slip-up"

'Your news item and headline -- about President Obama mistaking Kansasfor Texas -- is incorrect. I live here in eastern Kansas. Obama was making ajoke. He immediately mentioned that he had just seen coach Bill Self, theKansas University (KU) basketball coach. KU is about 60 miles from Osawatomie,and has had a hard time in its games against the Texas teams. Please removethese references to President Obama making a mistake. He was only making ajoke!! Please call -- or email -- someone to verify this if you want."

Here is the news item: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16061134

Here is their feedback site:

danno1313 3 years, 9 months ago

Texas and Kansas are two of the 57 states Obama said he has been in!

mloburgio 3 years, 9 months ago

Guess which presidents killed manufacturing jobs in the last 20 years? Their names are Bush

Barack Obama: Increase of 157,368 manufacturing jobs per year in office George W. Bush: Decrease of 434,143 manufacturing jobs per year in office

Bill Clinton: Increase of 37,143 manufacturing jobs per year in office George H.W. Bush: Decrease of 336,000 manufacturing jobs per year in office

Ronald Reagan: Increase of 1,429 manufacturing jobs per year in office Jimmy Carter: Increase of 15,333 manufacturing jobs per year in office Yes, since 1988, every time we've had a Republican in office we've lost manufacturing jobs, and every time we've had a Democrat we've gained them. Heck, even Jimmy Carter beat Reagan and all the rest of the Republicans. And Reagan was still far worse than any of the Democratic presidents.

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 9 months ago

Tis amazing how people believe the Democrats got America in such debt. Were people paying attention while Ronald Reagan was President? Sorry, but I had to ask because I wasn't born until 1994.

ManginoRevenge 3 years, 9 months ago

As Obama was starting his speech, he said "It's great to back in Texas!" (oops, I was giving Bill Self trouble earlier)

Nice attempt at saving your blunder...but made zero sense...

KU79 3 years, 9 months ago

Geez, give the guy a break . . . he gets confused . . . he thinks there's 57 states.

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 9 months ago

President Obama graduated top of his class at Harvard University. I am pretty sure he is well aware that there are 50 states. I've seen the video and people misunderstood what he was saying. He campaigned between states 57 times. He wasn't implying there are 57 states.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 9 months ago

Nice try, but you are wrong. If he graduated at the top of his class, why won't he release his college records? Also, anyone can google the transcript of the "57 states" speech and would know that again, you are wrong, no room for misunderstanding. You can fool some of the people some of the time...but in the Internet age, the only people you can fool are fools.

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 9 months ago

Coming from the person who denies Obama graduating tops of his class. Do you need to see his birth certificate as well? They are both out there. Take your FOX News 'information' and discuss them with your conservative friends.

Aligned 3 years, 9 months ago

Seriously, you don’t think he knows how many states there are?

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 9 months ago

Would you like to be a big boy and join this conversation, jhwksrock? If so you need to be/sound educated on the topic. You can't just go call people tools without having any reasoning behind it.

alor 3 years, 9 months ago

Do you suppose HCBS invited Obama to the BB game tonight? That would have been priceless!

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Barack Chalk! Great idea. Let's hope he shows up at the game. What a night it would be!

squintseugene1 3 years, 9 months ago

that would be very awesome however i highly doubt that it will happen

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 9 months ago

I would personally guarantee that you would not touch me if I said, 'Barack Chalk Jayhawk.'

squintseugene1 3 years, 9 months ago

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 9 months ago

I guarantee you wouldn't do that. You would lose your job over me saying Barack Chalk Jayhawk? Not to mention I would probably file a law suit..

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 9 months ago

Speaking of law suits, what do you think of Herman Cain and the Republicans Candidates? They all look real intelligent... sarcasm.

bigjay83 3 years, 9 months ago

Alohahawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Which one has more supporters?

And, dumping on myself here, I agree, politics should be left off this board.

slantrox 3 years, 9 months ago

I want to personally thank Obama for giving me the time to sit on this chat site instead of having a job!

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 9 months ago

Slantrox, instead of sitting on your butt and complaining about not having a job, get off the internet and go find one! Barack Chalk Jayhawk!

Mandie Eutsler 3 years, 9 months ago

there's lots of want ads in the ljworld.com. You should check it out. It will be on your right hand side of the screen. You may also try the marketplace link. Maybe you should fill out applications instead of blaming someone else...

ksjayhawk74 3 years, 9 months ago

What? Obama didn't personally set you up with a job yet? He hooked me up with a job where I test drive exotic sports cars and watch funny videos online all day and I get paid 250k/year. The job even comes with Obamacare insurance.

Obama just hooked me up because I'm a Liberal Democrat. He probably won't hook you up because you're obviously not a Liberal.

If you ask Obama really nice like, he might hook you up with a job too. Just try to act Liberal. Like, tell him that you love anchor babies, then he'll think you're one of us.

Matt Strausz 3 years, 9 months ago

That actually sounds a lot like his campaign speeches. Just another one he couldn't follow through on.

mloburgio 3 years, 9 months ago

This goes along nicely with a post I wrote back in July, in which I determined that 71% of the national debt occurred under GOP presidents, while 28% occurred under Democratic presidents (the data wasn't clear on who created the last 1%). http://www.americablog.com/2011/12/guess-which-presidents-killed.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Americablog+%28AMERICAblog%29

blindrabbit 3 years, 9 months ago

ManginoRevenge 3 years, 9 months ago

ManginoRevenge 3 years, 9 months ago

Robert Moore 3 years, 9 months ago

I want to PUKE. Just became a Wildcat fan

squintseugene1 3 years, 9 months ago

really bro just because you dont approve of somebody's political views and he met with one of the coaches of a sport team that you are a "fan" of your going to dislike that team. well as far as im concerned K-state can have you we dont need your negativity or idiotic choices.

Robert Moore 3 years, 9 months ago

squintseugene1 3 years, 9 months ago

whoa man let's calm it down with all that stuff

fancy80 3 years, 9 months ago

Really bro? I don't give a rats ass what your political views are, but this is NOT the forum for that. We are here to talk about sports, not whose fault the economy is. This was one of the few places that the political nut jobs stayed away from. Glad Coach met the President. I'm sure that was very cool, but I don't want to read all this other crap.

oldalum 3 years, 9 months ago

Not Obama. I've never understood why people fight so hard to win that position. It's just asking for abuse no matter what you do. On second thought, maybe the two positions are a lot alike.

slantrox 3 years, 9 months ago

With 57 states, Obama can't keep them all straight!

squintseugene1 3 years, 9 months ago

pretty sure Obama knows more about America than you do.

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm sure Slantrox graduated top of his class at Harvard University...

ksjayhawk74 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm sure, Sasha Obama, knows more about America than slantrox.

Mike Ardis 3 years, 9 months ago

Listen to the tape….”I’ve now been in fifty……..seven states? I think one left to go. One left to go. Alaska and Hawaii. I was not allowed to go to even though I wanted to visit but my staff would not justify it.”

It doesn’t seem out of the question Obama meant he visited 47 states with one state left to visit, no counting Alaska and Hawaii.

However, others have said that if you look up the Federal Definition of "state" that "State means each of the several States so when you add the regular states plus the District of Columbia (51), the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico (52), Guam (53), American Samoa (54), the Virgin Islands (55), the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands (56), and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (57) you get 57.

I don’t think that’s what Obama meant. The first seems more likely, but why ruin a good fable…

danno1313 3 years, 9 months ago

The guy is a disaster. He thought there was 57. Nice try.

s6u6r6f 3 years, 9 months ago

The Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands has not existed for decades.

Rock chalk.

Kent Kossoy 3 years, 9 months ago

And all this time I thought that my fellow alumns were smart people. Personally I would just assume that the Great and Wonderous Oz from DC stay there and fix the problems that he promised to fix instead of taking a VACATION. Perhaps he should be taking a STAY-cation like the rest of the world. I am still going to root for my Jayhawks, but I think that I will sit in another section.

Paul Rupp 3 years, 9 months ago

Osawatomie is a vacation? Where are you from? Pratt? (no offense to Pratt-ians--just sounded funny).

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 9 months ago

In 31 months in office, President Obama had taken 61 days of vacation. Meanwhile, George W. Bush took 180 vacation days in 31 months. Lets not forget Ronald Reagan who took off 112 days after 31 months in office. Thank you, I am here to educate the weak minded. I'll be here for a while.

tanaumaga 3 years, 9 months ago

How hot do you think Bill Self's tweeter is?

jhox 3 years, 9 months ago

Bill Self for Prez. I'd like that if only he could still coach KU on the side. I have no doubt he would be better at it than the last two guys. He could actually bring the parties together instead of spue poison at the other side.

slantrox 3 years, 9 months ago

I wish Obama the best of luck as he "Occupy's the golf course" for his 17 days in Hawaii!

Alohahawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Just remembered:

Self came to Hawaii (for the Maui tourney).

Obama came to Hawaii (for the APEC meetings). Which created a real traffic flow fiasco in Honolulu for about three or four days.

Self returns to Kansas.

Obama visits Kansas.

So, who's following who?

phi4life940 3 years, 9 months ago

Politics aside...our beloved Coach met the President of the United States today. Good for him. Hope you have an equally as good a night Coach!

Rock Chalk!

Danny Hernandez 3 years, 9 months ago

Great that the President of the United States had time to meet with our great coach, Bill Self...a great day to be a Jayhawk and an American.

slantrox 3 years, 9 months ago

I agree. He is the president of the United States, so be respectful of the office, show up, say hi and enjoy the moment. I'm sure the president was as excited to meet HCBS as vice-versa...given HCBS's celebrity status.

BillSelf4Prez 3 years, 9 months ago

i thought Kansas was Republican.....and my name says who should be president clearly.

BillSelf4Prez 3 years, 9 months ago

that is a little odd. i do remember going to KU football games and walking to the stadium and seeing in about every other yard a "Vote For Obama" sign.

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 9 months ago

Notice how all of the educated people live in Lawrence. I'm glad to hear that Lawrence may be a liberal place to attend school!

BillSelf4Prez 3 years, 9 months ago

im not. democrats are just a bunch of baby killers.

Matt Strausz 3 years, 9 months ago

Lived in Lawrence for 10 years, couldn't handle all the nut job dems. Love the town, but had to move for some normalcy. Luckily they live in a state where their political opinion only matters on message boards.

Bill Shaw 3 years, 9 months ago

Unlike 60% of the voters in the county that I live in (Pope), I voted for the winner in the last presidential election, not the loser.

barackchalkjhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

I heard someone calling my name? I agree, tremendous honor for Coach Self and KU. Let's just leave it at that and focus on the game tonight. RCJH!!!

LngTimeFan 3 years, 9 months ago

Today has to be the absolute point of Self's existence.

BillSelf4Prez 3 years, 9 months ago

i just realized that looks like NO BAMA and i put roll tide roll haha meant NOBAMA as in no obama ha #rockchalk

BillSelf4Prez 3 years, 9 months ago

ehh Roll Tide football. Still love my Jayhawks. Still my number 1 team, but gotta root for someone who wins. don't mind seeing the Crimson Tide win. But i KU is still my team.

bigjay83 3 years, 9 months ago

No Bama, indeed. Should have been OSU.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 9 months ago

Obama garnered more support than any Dem. candidate ever with 42% in 2008. The only Dem. to carry the state was LBJ IIRC.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 9 months ago

Hank Cross 3 years, 9 months ago

There's no doubt it was an honor to have Self meet President Obama. But, Obama's predictions of KU winning the NC for the last 2 years have the same success record as his predictions about how the economy would improve. Just sayin'.

Paul Rupp 3 years, 9 months ago

I've been predicting KU to win the NC for the past 20 years. Probably will for the next 20. Rock Chalk. Barack Chalk. Go KU!

jeff jarred 3 years, 9 months ago

James McGuire 3 years, 9 months ago

Since no one can seem to leave politics out of this discussion, can we all agree that not one single person is responsible for our nation's deficit, unemployment, and other problems?

I would like to suggest that almost every one of our current problems can be blamed on politicians and lobbyists Not just republicans and conservatives, or liberals and democrats. All of them are responsible.

On a much happier note: hopefully we take care of the ball tonight and destroy Long Beach State. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

Jeff Kilgore 3 years, 9 months ago

That would make too much sense, but when the US president visits just a few miles away, politics are going to blow up.

James McGuire 3 years, 9 months ago

This is true. I just wish a little rational thought and sensibility would not get lost in the haze of intolerance and ignorance.

bigjay83 3 years, 9 months ago

And an ignorant electorate who choose to get their misinformation from editorialism posing as news with the single objective of ratings and profit by reframing every story in the mold of their audience's political perspective.... happening ACROSS the political spectrum... also holds a significant portion of the blame.

Matt Strausz 3 years, 9 months ago

Obama would love this solution, why wouldn't we share the blame. That sounds like a very socialist way to distribute blame, along with everything else.

bad_dog 3 years, 9 months ago

Run him out of town with who? Mitt "Changes Positions to Match His Crowd" Romney, Newt "On My 3rd Wife and Cheated on the 2nd While She's Dying of Cancer and Hypocritically Impeaching Clinton" Gingrich or Michelle "Crazier than B@t$#!t Bachman"?

ksjayhawk74 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm waiting for Donald Trump to tell me which Republican dingbat I should vote for.

Woody Cragg 3 years, 9 months ago

If you voted for Obama in 08' to prove you're not a racist, then vote for anyone else in 12' to prove you're not an idiot. Just be forewarned of the Obama Care taxes that kick in after the 12' election. And the key point is...after, the election. Sales tax (3%) on selling your home, paid healthcare ins by employer or retirement fund as a taxable benefit @ a max of 40% with no actual increase in gross wages or income - only taxable healthcare included as income, and medicare co-pays increasing by appx 150% to seniors by 2016. Also registry of all legal firearms via Wform 40 or 1040A short form with the IRS to pay a $50 income tax on each per. Think they'll keep a database of where the weapons are in case they want to confiscate them? With no checks & balances this is what happens. True, the Patriot Act laid the groundwork under the guise of terrorism & of course it can always be worse; you could lose the last remaining privacy you have, your right to defend yourself & bear arms. Where the hell is the ACLU on this one? Checkin out ACORN? The job czar is the CEO of a company that is closing their Minnesota facilty & moving the jobs to China & investing 5 mill there. Someone should've told him to create the jobs in THIS country, ya think? Even if he is a great orater, or person, or citizen (debatable), he's still as clueless as he has always been. Quit spending the damn SS money on Pakistan & all other sorts of foriegn aid & it might not go broke! Ya think?!!! It is a ponzi scheme. Just because the govt went bankrupt on SS & the USPS, surely they won't FUBAR healthcare?

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 9 months ago

Rag who's going to challenge Obama? Newt Gingrich? Haha Obama has 4 more years to improve our economy. Results never show until the man has almost finished both terms. Said that when Obama was elected.

imzcount 3 years, 9 months ago

do you really like this food stamp president???????and who thinks he is going to get any electoral votes from Kansas!!!!!!!!!!

mjhawkchalk 3 years, 9 months ago

Do you really think he is going to need electoral votes from Kansas?

bigjay83 3 years, 9 months ago

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

08Champs 3 years, 9 months ago

What an idiot. I vote for "disappeareding" someone after their 4,567th stupid remark. All those in favor?

bad_dog 3 years, 9 months ago

Max, I respect the office, just not always the occupants. Nevertheless, I agree with your sentiments (as well as those expressed by 08Champs).

louisvillejayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Sounds like many of us need to stick with basketball and let others figure out politics. I would like to be able to support our current president but in all honestly, his policies have been extremely detrimental to our economy. I manage money for several mutual funds and consequently have the opportunity to talk to the management team of many large Fortune 500 companies on ocassion. Most will tell you that Obamacare, the new financial regulations that are still not finalized, and tax uncertainty are delaying them from making strategic investment and hiring new employees. Class warfare was not what allowed this country to become great and differentiate ourselves from the rest of the world. If high taxes and lots of governments entitlements were good for an economy, Greece, Italy, Spain, and Portugal would be leading Europe not begging it neighbors for lifelines to avoid bankruptcy. Do tax cuts solve every problem of course not but we need to implement policies that help the US compete with other countries. Having a corporate tax rate that is at or below other countries would be a good start since our companies already start behind the eightball with a more expensive labor force. I could go on but I will stop here as hopefully people can discuss issues rather than name calling and threats of lawsuits/violence.

bad_dog 3 years, 9 months ago

"Having a corporate tax rate that is at or below other countries would be a good start since our companies already start behind the eightball with a more expensive labor force."

Yet many Fortune 500 companies pay 0 income taxes (GE, Citicorp, et al). You claim you manage money for several mutual funds yet you make a claim like that? Many of those companies have no problem holding their hands out for governmental bail outs, while they illegally or improperly foreclose on mortgages, default on pension plans, creatively bundle bad loan portfolios up to pass off to other financial institutions and borrow trillions from the Fed at .001% interest rates. Talk about class warfare; they complain about tax rates while the typical CEO makes 110 times what the average worker makes today-more than 4 times the ratio just 40 years ago. Most CEOs and boards manage their companies exclusively for the benefit of shareholders and their personal enrichment, not for their workers or Americans/America as a whole. Nevertheless they whine about profits, Obamacare & taxes while they ship more and more jobs overseas, away from Americans, in return for lower labor rates and increased management and shareholder wealth all the while talking about how uncertainty prevents them from investing and creating jobs. Do you merely believe/repeat what you're told and nod your head in agreement? What do you expect corproate management teams to say? Seriously?

I will be the first to agree spending needs to be significantly reined in, but in all fairness you need to consider the money drain resulting from two unfunded wars, a Medicare Rx bill as well as the Bush tax cuts to fairly attribute responsibility for significant portions of the current budget deficit. We would not have been in nearly as dire a position in 2008 in the absence of "ALL" these policies. Recall that Bush had a budget surplus when he took office in 1990. We need to revise the tax codes so everyone pays a fair rate and cut out all the loopholes to increase revenue. Congress is inherently corrupt as evidenced by the lobbyists, bi-partisan self-dealing and insider trading so I don't have much faith this will be done.

My apologies to any and all political beliefs for the responsive rant on a sports board.

In the meantime, RCJHGKU!

studio 3 years, 9 months ago

Maybe, as with KU's atrocious passing, we could reach the goals that benefit the team by moving quickly, decisively, without hesitation, with the cajones to believe in a positive outcome instead of anticipating reprisal for error. "Most will tell you that Obamacare, the new financial regulations that are still not finalized, and tax uncertainty are delaying them from making strategic investment and hiring new employees" Delaying our recovery with hopes of the highest possible return on their investment strikes me as treasonous when most agree that the economy is frightening investment. Thanks for the political metaphor to describe the failure of hesitancy in offensive efficiency on this BASKETBALL forum.

DDDHawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Obama really is a true basketball fan. I hope they show us a pic of him and Self together.

Lance Hobson 3 years, 9 months ago

I met the president a year ago in Afghanistan. I had a whole list of pertinent topics I planned to discuss with him, such as KU basketball, the burn pit there that was giving us all cancer, the bombs I dropped that day, ROE, and his favorite beaches in Hawaii. However, when the time came, all I could muster was a weak "Uhh." He said thanks and was gone. I only had about two seconds, not having the pull of a Bill Self.

Geekinout 3 years, 9 months ago

Barrack Turner Obama Gill... Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man.

The New and Improved Hybrid President Coach that can and will destruct anything that comes across it's path...

Jared Grillot 3 years, 9 months ago

Going to have to call the principal with all this teenage "I'm gonna smack you/you can't touch me/go ahead and try it" testosterone flying around here. Glad to see the 10th grade is well represented on the boards these days. Let's face it, just about every one of us, if faced with a one-on-one meeting with a sitting president, regardless of party, would become mindblown and "Yes sir, no sir" at best, and slack-jawed gawkers at worst.

And there's nothing wrong with that. It's called respect for the office. It's gotta be the hardest job I can think of, and I know I wouldn't want it. Just because I don't agree with the way he does things, didn't vote for him, and won't vote for him next time either, doesn't mean I wouldn't show the man the utmost respect. I wish I could expect better from the folks on here.

Katie Bieber 3 years, 9 months ago

Obama is responsible for high unemployment. Obama wants to give money to the unemployed so they can spend it which may actually create enough demand to spur some job growth. But unemployed people are, by definition, lazy. That only hands free money to lazy people, which is disgusting, and creates the need to hire those lazy people so that they can get even more money! Clearly, the only solution is to give tax breaks to the rich so they can hire hard-working people and not the unemployed. What a terrible president.

Disclaimer: this is satire.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

I love politics on a sports message board!

Bangkok_Jayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

On a serious note... I have been in Thailand for less than a year and have met 2 Prime Ministers... I lived in Kansas my whole life and never even saw a US President. Now Obama is close to where I grew up. DANG IT!

fancy80 3 years, 9 months ago

hey, what is the capital of Thailand???

My boyfriend knows...now. he didn't know the answer the first time I asked him.

Brak 3 years, 9 months ago

Wow folks this is getting pointless, you sound like a bunch of MethZou fans arguing over the last line of crank. Regardless of your political affiliation I think we can all agree that Bill Self is the best college basketball there is, and frankly thats all that matters.