Tuesday, December 6, 2011

K-State’s Bill Snyder named AP’s Big 12 coach of the year

— Kansas State coach Bill Snyder is the runaway pick as the AP's Big 12 coach of the year after leading the Wildcats to a 10-2 finish and an appearance in the Cotton Bowl.

Picked to finish eighth in the Big 12, the Wildcats instead finished eighth in the BCS after beating ranked teams Baylor and Texas and losing only to Oklahoma State and Oklahoma. They were snubbed by the Sugar Bowl for two teams with lesser resumes, but will play Arkansas in a high-profile Cotton Bowl matchup.

Snyder was selected on 16 of the 17 ballots turned in by AP members who regularly cover the league. Cowboys coach Mike Gundy received the only other vote.

It's the third time Snyder has been the Big 12's coach of the year, but the first since he came back following a brief retirement. He was also the AP's national coach of the year in 1998.

Comments

gchawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Congrats to Coach Snyder, he's definitely earned this.

Danny Hernandez 7 years, 7 months ago

A very well deserved award. He's my choice for Coach of the year in the ncaa's. And I'd have been happier if they had been chosen for a BCS bowl which they did deserve

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 7 months ago

Wonder who the ap voted for big 12 worst coach of the year?

Danny Hernandez 7 years, 7 months ago

PInkle and Mack did under perform...so my guess is one of those chumps

KGphoto 7 years, 7 months ago

Hey Gill ended the season with the record most predicted. Stoops, Brown, Tubberville and Sherman came in well below expectations.

railer20 7 years, 7 months ago

Probably Sherman at A&M....nobody expected anything from Gill

squawkhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

They would have voted for Gill but he has proven that he is not a coach.

gorilla10 7 years, 7 months ago

Heroes get remembered, but legends never die....

hawkbono1313 7 years, 7 months ago

Heard Gary Pinkel had him 4th on his ballot

KGphoto 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm sure he'll be picking up a few more along the way.

He's already running away with this one...

and he'll probably collect his second one of these...

Are there any others? I wouldn't doubt he just sweeps all available.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 7 months ago

Well, really, no surprise here. When I grew up in Lawrence, I always had a lot of respect for Jack Hartman and Lonnie Kruger. Kind of how I feel about Coach Snyder. He deserves the award, and then some.

Peterson, from Boise State, is grumbling about the BCS. Let's face it---K-State got screwed. I know some would disagree with me on this one, including Matt Tait, but I believe Oklahoma State got screwed, too.

When K-State plays Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl, I definitely will not be going for the Hogs. Anytime the SEC can lose a game, that's just wonderful when that happens.

Congrats on the award, Coach Snyder!

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm surprised. I know that Bill Snyder did a great job this year, but let's give credit where credit is deserved and that is Gundy. Gundy won the Big XII, most had him finishing third or fourth in the Big XII behind Sherman, Stoops, and maybe Brown.

Pluse gundy actually beat KSU at KSU if my recollection comes back to me.

One is in a BCS and one isn't.

Call me crazy, but he shouldn't have won Big XII coach of the year, that honor should have been Gundy's honor.

It seems this is the year to hose OSU.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 7 months ago

Jhawkrulz---

You bring up some good points. Thanks for your post. rcjhgku.

squawkhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

You are crazy. Expectations for OSU were very high. He had a lot of returning talent including a couple of possible Heisman candidates in Weeden and Blackmon and several other high profile athletes. It would be hard to say that they over achieved. KSU on the other hand was slated to end up two spots above KU in the Big 12 with marginal opportunity to make a bowl. And talent? Well they had an unproven, second rate QB named Klein and a returning defense that ranked in the 100s last year. Their top running back was gone and no one to fill his shoes. so given what they did this year was another Miracle in Manhappiness. No one, but no one deserves COY award more than Bill Snyder. And by the way, OSU beat KSU in Stilwater and that game came down to the last play as time expired. If Snyder was coaching OSU, there would be no question who the national champ would be.

Steve Reigle 7 years, 7 months ago

Not only a great coach but also a class act.