Sunday, December 4, 2011

Gary Bedore’s KU notebook: 1965-66 Jayhawks honored

Former Kansas players on the 1966 team Walt Wesley, left, and JoJo White stand with then head coach Ted Owens as they are honored at halftime of the South Florida game on Saturday, Dec. 3, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following his team's 70-42 victory over South Florida on Dec. 3, 2011.

Download podcast

Videos

KU vs. South Florida

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated South Florida, 70-42 on Saturday, Dec. 3, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University’s 1965-66 Big Eight championship team was introduced at halftime of Saturday’s KU-South Florida game in Allen Fieldhouse.

“Everybody’s having a great time,” former KU coach Ted Owens said.

He and the players watched practice on Friday, then attended Saturday’s 70-42 victory as well as a banquet in the fieldhouse on Saturday night.

“They were blown away by the facilities (on tour Friday). Some of the guys said if they’d had that when they were here, there’d be no reason to leave the building,” Owens gushed of the plush players’ lounge and locker room.

The ’65-66 Jayhawks went 23-4 overall and 13-1 in the Big Eight. Key players included Walt Wesley and Jo Jo White, whose jerseys hang in the fieldhouse.

“I think it was good for us,” KU senior Tyshawn Taylor said of Owens and the Jayhawks being in town. “They came and talked to us at practice yesterday, and they gave an inspirational speech that helped us realize that every day we come out here we are playing for something bigger than ourselves. I think for them to be at the game it was something that we were all excited and grateful for. We are lucky to be in a situation where we can play in front of amazing guys and amazing players — guys that paved the way for us.”

Unselfish

Taylor could have tied his career-high of 26 points on a late-game breakaway, but instead dished to Thomas Robinson for the easy hoop.

“I wasn’t paying attention to how many points I had. I just saw him (Thomas Robinson) coming in from the right so I just gave it up,” Taylor said.

Close to double-double

Robinson had 14 points and eight boards. He missed a double-double for the first time all season.

“I’ve been kind of under the weather the last couple days. It is not a distraction when it’s time to play,” Robinson said of a bad cold. “It didn’t affect my play.”

Player notes

Taylor has scored in double figures in all seven games. He hit a career-best four threes. His 24 points were most by any Jayhawk this season, and his eight field goals made also tied for the most made by a Jayhawk (Elijah Johnson vs. UCLA, Robinson vs. Towson). ... Robinson’s four steals set a career-high. ... Conner Teahan’s four assists set a career-high and his 11 points tied a career-high mark set against Towson in the season opener. Teahan played a career-high 25 minutes.

Team notes

South Florida scored 42 points, the fourth-lowest mark by a foe in the Bill Self era. ... KU’s 24 first-half points marked the fewest the Jayhawks scored in one half since Jan. 10, 2009 in a 75-62 loss at Michigan State — a 98-game span. ...The Jayhawks outscored the Bulls, 20-2, in fast-break points, the best since a 32-2 spread against Towson in the season opener.

Comments

Mo Golany 9 years, 12 months ago

Well I must say our team defense is pretty good so far! We've held every team in check so far now if we can get our offense going this can be a pretty good team! I actually think this team can go further than our last 2 #1 seeds which is hard for me to say since I thought we had the best teams going into the last 2 tounraments!

jaybate 9 years, 12 months ago

Can Walt still hit the baseline turnaround?

Can Jo Jo still launch from 30 and strip and score?

In my mind they can.

captku 9 years, 12 months ago

Amen. My brother and I were at that game, and I had to yell, "suit up 15, White, your goin' in" after that rough first half! At least we thought it was funny. Those guys were "the stuff" in their day, and an honor to have them all come back was awesome.

I reminded my kids they were from "Glory Road", and had to vehemently tell them again, "Jo-Jo's foot was NOT out"!

Mike Kendall 9 years, 12 months ago

Thanks for the coverage, Gary. In regard to the "66 team--- It is mentioned in the musical, "Fiddler On The Roof," a lot--- Tradition!

Steve Corder 9 years, 12 months ago

Ron Lang looked like he could still play.

Funhawk 9 years, 12 months ago

Are there any more pictures from yesterday of the '66 team?

KEITHMILES05 9 years, 12 months ago

Jo Jo walked with a cane, a limp, and basically looked ill. He looked NOTHING like he did for the legends game in Sept.

Funhawk 9 years, 12 months ago

That's sad. Wonder what happened to Jo Jo?

Here is a fun 1966 article from S.I. about the Hawks. "Jo-Jo Joins the Jayhawk Mob on Snob Hill" http://www.fanbase.com/article/jo-jo-joins-the-jayhawk-mob-on/5334

This 1966 article is written from a national viewpoint of Kansas (the state). At that time, the state was in a transition with its huge farm economy run by the thousands of small family farms. Johnson County, the antithesis of the Kansas farm, was emerging to lead a cosmopolitan takeover. The writer picked up on that, and used "Silo Tech verses Snob Hill" as its metaphor.

s6u6r6f 9 years, 12 months ago

Great link. Nick Pino! The giant! Slow of foot, slow of hand, but a living giant. Though even as a kid I hated K-State, I loved to watch Pino in a game. Russian Czar Peter the Great would have collected him.

yates33333 9 years, 12 months ago

This was the team that the refs screwed out of the final four in the game in Lubbock.

Lonnie Ross Dillon 9 years, 12 months ago

Not sure they were screwed. Photos after the fact showed Jo Jo's heel over the OB line. You can't tell however if the heel ever went down our not. Ref said it did and there's no TV or photo proof it didn't. Yes it's a shame, one of KU's and Ted Owen's best teams, one with a good chance to win it all.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 12 months ago

If you check out the photo posted by Funhawk, you'll see that the one person in the building who had the best view was indeed the ref, who was only a few feet away and totally aligned with Jo Jo and the out of bounds line.

The call was right!!

Ozarkace68 9 years, 12 months ago

Regardless of whether Jo Jo was in or out I was in Lubbock that night and will forever believe the National Championship was decided on that floor that night. The meeting between Texas Western and Kentucky had major social significance but in terms of playing the game, it was decided in Lubbock.

Too bad other members of that great team could not be there yesterday to share the glory and the love. They were one of the best.