Kansas defeats Florida Atlantic, 77-54

• 7 p.m., Nov. 30, 2011
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Hawaii hangover: Jayhawks lethargic in victory over FAU

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson catches his breath during a couple of Jayhawk free throws in the second half against Florida Atlantic on Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters on Nov. 30, 2011 after defeating Florida Atlantic.

Download podcast

Videos

KU vs. Florida Atlantic

video thumbnail

Kansas defeated Florida Atlantic, 77-54 on Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University’s basketball team, which drew rave reviews last week in Maui, looked like a squad with a case of jet lag in a 77-54 victory over Florida Atlantic on Wednesday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

“It was a Hawaii hangover. We had too much pineapple juice on the Islands,” KU coach Bill Self said, forcing a smile after a game in which his team labored offensively.

The Jayhawks (4-2) hit 43.6 percent of their shots (four of 13 threes) while dishing just 11 assists against 17 turnovers.

“I knew they’d be flat. You look at those teams coming back from Hawaii ... nobody has really looked very good. UCLA beat Pepperdine. Other than that, everybody has gotten their clock cleaned pretty good. It’s probably good we were home,” he added, noting, however that, “the building wasn’t juiced (and), we didn’t do anything to juice the building.”

Self had a long list of negatives.

“They got the ball where they wanted to get it. Our defense was not any good,” said Self, whose team forced just 10 turnovers while holding the Owls (3-5) to 32.3 percent shooting (including four of 17 threes).

“Our guard play, to put it nicely, was horrific. You can’t play worse.”

Elijah Johnson had seven turnovers, three assists and zero points in 27 minutes. Tyshawn Taylor had 18 points off 5-of-12 shooting with one assist against four turnovers in 32 minutes.

“He is still in Hawaii. He did not get hungover. He got left there,” Self cracked of Johnson. “That was a poor night for him. He wasn’t able to change it, which is a little frustrating. He certainly labored.”

Of Taylor, Self said: “Tyshawn has become a scorer. He has to be an initiator. He is not doing it. Elijah is not doing it. In practice we’ve looked really good (since Hawaii). I think we took a step backward tonight.”

Self has kept some stats regarding his guards.

“Since Towson (opening game), when we had 30 assists and five turnovers, our starting guard (Taylor) has had 16 assists and 21 turnovers, our starting 2 guard (Johnson) has had 13 assists and 15 turnovers, and our starting three guard (Travis Releford, 11 points, six rebounds, four assists Wednesday) has seven assists and 10 turnovers. It tells you right now we have the poorest ball-handling backcourt of anybody in the country. You talk assists/turnovers, nobody has it like that.”

Self did laud Conner Teahan (nine points, four rebounds) for hitting a pair of threes in a 22-4 run that opened a 36-18 lead.

Yet ...

“The thing that disappointed me tonight were some individuals. What a great teaching lesson. When things aren’t going well, how do you change it? How do you man-up and make somebody else better?” Self asked. “How do you do something rather than just mope around and feel sorry for yourself, which is what one of our players did tonight.”

It’s believed he was referring to junior off guard Johnson, who did grab four rebounds on a night KU out-boarded the Owls, 53-32.

“To me, that is a sign of immaturity, selfishness and those sorts of things,” Self said. “If we can correct that and realize it’s about us instead of me, we’ll get good real fast because I do like our team. I think we have nice pieces, but we can’t play carelessly like we played. How can you expect to beat good teams moving forward unless we take care of the ball better?”

The star of the game — KU’s Thomas Robinson, who had a career-high 17 rebounds to go with 19 points — acknowledged that the squad has had severe lapses on the offensive end.

“It’s something that will come with time, keeping our focus and not catching ADD halfway through the game,” said Robinson, who indicated he made it tough on himself by putting the ball on the floor too much. “We’re only six games into the season. We’ve played a tough schedule. We’ve done well so far, but it’s still only six games in, with 30 more games probably. It’s going to be here a couple more games probably. I think we’re a little ahead of schedule, but at the same time we have to keep moving. Eventually we’ll be a good team.”

Considering everything, “I’m pretty pleased leaving here with a 23-point win,” Self said.

KU will meet South Florida at 4:15 p.m. Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse.

Comments

texashawk10 8 years, 1 month ago

This team is to damn selfish with the ball. In most seasons, KU gets an assist on about 60% of their made FG's and after the Towson game to open the season, this team is somewhere around 45%. Even with Sherron playing one on one for pretty much two years, KU was still in the high 50% range on getting assists. If this team continues to play this selfishly and not sharing the ball and making the extra pass to get a better look, this team will struggle majorly against and good defensive team they face this year and the Big 12 has a few good defensive teams this year.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

LAJayhawk's Random Comment of the Game

Greg Gurley is so bad, I think I would rather listen to Dickie V do the play by play of him crapping his own pants.

"It's a diaper dandy, baby!!"

This has been LAJayhawk's Random Comment of the Game

jaywords 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm for anything but Dickie V... Did anybody catch his Jerry Springer-style monologue-moment on Tuesday night re: Syracuse and pedophilia? When sportscasters have to report on anything that doesn't happen during the game clock they get out of their depth really fast, it would seem.

Alohahawk 8 years, 1 month ago

I'll take just about whatever I can get and be happy with it. Meaning, I'll take Gurley, if he's available.

I wasn't able to watch or lesson to today's game at all. That can be as frustrating as listening to Dukie V. announce a game. There have been times I have turned the sound off during televised games when DV (Maybe it should be reversed to VD) announces and instead, have read the games progress on my computer as I watched the games on TV. At least I knew what was happening on the court, and didn't have to listen to DV raving about the ACC while he ignores what's happening on the court.

lionhawkward 8 years, 1 month ago

One name "Falkenstein" the Max was the best. Greg is still learning, so called wet behind the ears... However he has been very entertaining at the wheel behind a frosty beverage.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

Well, how about we just play the great board game, Scene It?

Perhaps Battleship, and hopefully I can get a direct Submarine hit?

Better yet, I have a dirty carpet, want to help me steam clean it?

Nevermind. I'm just gonna go watch a classic, 1979 Saturday Night Live Martin Sheen skit.

Stan Unruh 8 years, 1 month ago

Dave Armstrong is just as bad as Gurley on TV. Bob Davis is THE man. Unfortunately, if you can't get the radio play by play...you miss a LOT.

John Boyle 8 years, 1 month ago

Dave Armstrong is a quality guy with lots of experience. Bob Davis is certainly better at KU games than he is doing KC Royals games. At least he knows a little about KU and basketball. Gurley is okay. He just doesn't have a terrific voice. What he says is fine, its how he says it.

bad_dog 8 years, 1 month ago

I can handle Armstrong as long as he stays away from the stupid puns he so loves.

Speaking of stupid jokes, I'll take Gurley any day as long as we don't ever have to listen to Scott Pollard again. Ever!

yates33333 8 years, 1 month ago

GasP!!! GarG!!! GooF!!! Anyone by Vitale.

Craig Lang 8 years, 1 month ago

I enjoy Greg Gurley. Listen to of Kevin Smith's multiple podcasts, then listen to Greg Gurley. They are almost indistinguishable.

Pam McCormick 8 years, 1 month ago

+1000 and Dave Armstrong isn't much better!!

Vulgarity24 8 years, 1 month ago

Hoping merv was gunna get him a bucket at the end. Waiting for Young to learn the what's going on while he's on the floor, he's just lost out there. love his hustle tho. Good to see Releford getting a lil selfish and taking the ball to cup toward the end. After watching Taylor and Johnson I'm starting to realize just how good Chalmers and Robinson were at throwing alley-oops. How about Shabazz putting up 50 in his first game of the season?! Kid is nice.

Bion Ostrander 8 years, 1 month ago

Ug, horrible guard play. EJ is settling for 3 pointers and jumpers when he should be driving it to the cup, especially against teams like FAU. This is a perfect opportunity for working on his game, yet he digressed.

Ditto for Taylor, it sure seemed like he had more than 4 turnovers, just very inconsistent and frustrating.

I would have like to see Young get more than 7 minutes, KU needs to get him more experience in these types of easy non-conference games because they will need both him and Wesley down the road for all the foul trouble that Withey will find. Withey, 18 minutes, actually don't mind that, give the minutes to Wesley if he is hustling and it will help with experience down the road. That said, Withey needs to develop a lot more endurance for conference play.

Long Beach State will be a test for KU if they play as they did against FAU. I sure hope Ohio State's game against Duke was an anomaly, KU will need an extraordinary effort and their best rebounding game to play with OSU.

I still think this KU squad is going to be OK, and I think Self does some of his best coaching with teams like this which have some limitations. But admittedly, I think the Big 12 conference is down this year, and that will help also. Maybe Self should be on the search committee for a new football coach....

Jack Wilson 8 years, 1 month ago

7 turnovers by EJ is completely unacceptable. But it is the exception, not the rule for him.

Just as unacceptable was 1 assist by Tyshawn in 32 minutes of play. This is incredibly important to an offense. Our point guard with the ball in his hands all the time. Look no further than the first play of the game ... he penetrates, draws a defender, then forces a shot. Gets fouled. Makes 1 of 2 free throws. All the while, TRob was wide open on the left block. I cannot understand for the life of me how he can have such tunnel vision. It's as if he tries not to pass.

From the KC Star: Taylor had 18 points, but Self isn’t necessarily looking for Taylor to be a prolific scorer this season. “The thing about a point guard,” Self said, “it’s just as important to make the pass to start the play as it is to make the pass to finish the play. He’s trying to make too many big plays.”

Another game, another head scratcher. Add in 4 more turnovers. Really a turnover to assist ratio, not the other way around.

And Releford just looks tentative. Like a bystander a lot of the time. Had a nice stretch late. What will it take to make him more assertive? I do know that the three spot can really benefit from a point guard that can (or will) penetrate and kick out, or from an inside out game where the post players will kick it out. Haven't seen much of either.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 1 month ago

I disagree with you about Releford. I saw him as being a stable, play within in your game, influence.

He completely shut down FAU's leading scorer - Greg Gantt - and did a good job of scoring when the opportunities arose, not forcing bad decisions. Self has put him in as the defensive stopper against the opponents best scorer and he has got the job done. Rivers scored only 10 against KU but 22 at OSU.

I know it was only one game but EJ showed why he isn't the PG. And I agree it was the exception but I don't see the improvements from him that I thought we would. He and Taylor at times look lost, not what you would expect from upper classmen. For much of the game, Sophomore Pablo Bertone, was the best guard on the court offensively.

Wesley, Tharpe and Young continue to improve..some good news.

Not too make too much of this, I think we should put this game behind us and move on... I expect KU will have their focus back by the time we play again.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

The thing about EJ's turnovers that drove me the most nuts was the complete lack of focus he seemed to have basically the entire game. I was starting to wonder if he was loaded... or running on no sleep...

He was dribbling off his foot, tossing lackadaisical passes that, when they weren't directly to an opponent, where chucked into the third row for no apparent reason. He even got bailed out on another turnover or two when an FAU defender tipped it just before it went out of bounds.

Not to be redundant, be he really had no focus. Hope it was just an off game, and he comes back on Saturday as the EJ we all know he really is...

AsadZ 8 years, 1 month ago

I have never seen more sloppy play from KU than last night's game. It was BAD. I hope it was a matter of Muai hangover. If Ku play any where close to last night's game they will not win very many games.

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 1 month ago

Or in the NCAA..not going to list the mystifying number or names of losses to mid-majors. The one big difference was that we did a good job at the line last night.

JHawk74 8 years, 1 month ago

One thing about the assist to turnover ratio is that you must make a basket to get an assist. If you have an off night of shooting your assists are going to be down. There is no excuse for all the turnovers but you don't get assists if you are not making shots. I'm sure the team was not motivated to play FAU. The last 3 games the played were Georgetown, UCLA and Duke some of the best all time programs in the country. Like Self said they will learn from this experience. I know the Ohio SU game is a few games away but the KU team is probably getting nervous to play them after what Ohio SU did to Duke. The good thing about Ohio SU is it is in Allen Fieldhouse and our fans should be juiced to cheer for the Jayhawks. RCJH!

KPOP 8 years, 1 month ago

Fewer assists beacuse the high low is slow developing this year (for a number of reasons). I think the offense will have to change this year to a drive and pass to an open shooter. If we can get both TT and EJ driving and efficiently dishing the ball to the post or out to an open mid range or 3 pointer, we'll be alot better off. Of course then you have to make shots. If you are shooting 43%, there wont be many assists.

Mike Skiles 8 years, 1 month ago

Chill out folks! As someone who visits Maui (myself) at least once a year, I can attest to not being very focused upon my return to the mainland! Its the post return hangover, it comes from being on paradise for a week or two! Anyone who has been there knows what the deal is. The Hawks didn't play a clean or smart game last night, but after seeing their games on Maui (did you all actually watch those or just read the box score?), I have full faith in HCBS and the team. I'm really looking forward to OSU coming to AFH, so much so I have many bets already riding on that one. RCJH!

Jack Wilson 8 years, 1 month ago

Please give me the definition of a true fan -- your definition. I'm interested in improving myself as a person.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 1 month ago

I was just curious .. I will try to stay 70% happy. Sounds like a good rule.

HawkKlaw 8 years, 1 month ago

That was not fun to watch. It got even worse when they showed "Orange" Dave Armstrong...this is Kansas pal, not Jersey!

In all seriousness though, KU looked pretty terrible last night. FAU was quicker and smarter than KU. None of our guys could keep up with them on defense. They were blowing by all of our guards and the help defense was non-existent as well.

We are lucky that we have TRob. All season we thought our lack of depth in the post would be our ultimate demise...now I'm thinking that it might be our terrible guard play.

Whether it's TT, EJ or Naadir...we need a PG who won't turn the ball over. That's becoming a major issue with this team.

Alohahawk 8 years, 1 month ago

+1 Unless the Jayhawk guards start contolling the ball better, it's going to be a long, frustrating season. It's something they're capable of, because they have done it before, but they're being too selfish. Come on guys, start driving and kicking to an open man, instead of attempting every shot yourself.

Alohahawk 8 years, 1 month ago

hailtoku 8 years, 1 month ago

All three of our guards have more turnovers than assists.

I have no words.....

Jack Wilson 8 years, 1 month ago

Actually, your starting guards for 2012-13 are in the black -- EJ has 22 assists to 15 turnovers. And Tharpe has 8 assists to 4 turnovers.

Justin Carlson 8 years, 1 month ago

Actually if this continues every 30+ year old man will pull his hair out if he continues to watch 3rd girls rec league pass the ball.

Food for thought BS please get Tharpe more playing time because I have seen people in the rest home have more energy than EJ and pout less than TT because they gave him the wrong pudding at lunch time! Oops that was grandpa! Damn kids where is my prune juice!!

Seriously 3 rotating point guards by Christmas please!

Tony Bandle 8 years, 1 month ago

C'mon guys.....after playing the #2 and #6 teams in the country plus two other historic programs in Madison Square Garden and Maui, did you think this game was going to be anything different than the way it was played out!!??

Consider it a live lab for HCBS to remind the Hawks what they have to do to win.

Frankly, I'm glad they played crappy just to keep them humble and focused on how hard they're going to have to play to beat top teams.

Still, I am also glad they won by twenty two and were one point away from five guys in double figures.

It is fun, however, being the most spoiled fans, me included, in college basketball.

"Excellence is expected.....perfection is our goal!!"

Michael Bratisax 8 years, 1 month ago

Good points..although it doesn't ease the frustration watching a game like that.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 1 month ago

The only problem with that thinking Oakville, the "Historic" teams are not the ones that are bouncing KU from the one tournament that matters. It's teams like Florida Atlantic that have been ending KU's seasons lately.

IMO, that is why I'm more irritated and concerned with this 23 point win than I am a 7 point loss to Duke or a 10 point loss to Kentucky!

Robert Brock 8 years, 1 month ago

Everybody make countless mistakes. It looked like a practice that was unsupervised.

Joe Baker 8 years, 1 month ago

Lethargic? Now I feel better. I hope they get the cobwebs out before OSU or it will be ugly in the Phog.

Sullinger and TRob (Sullinger may foul TRob or Withey or Wesley out) Craft and TT (Craft's IQ is way higher than TT) Buford and Rel (Buford will have Rel/Teahan for lunch if they don't bring their A-game) Smith and EJ (EJ can rise to this challenge) Thomas and Withey ( Don't know if Withey could hang with Sulinger's size) Bench? Their bench may be deeper but we may have an edge. I'd put Wesley, Young and Tharpe against their bench.

This OSU team has a high IQ and talent. I thought some of their success came from dook's beating of KU. Dook left it all in Maui. They didn't have anything left against OSU. People are totally overlooking OSU against uk and unc. I think OSU will be the team to beat this year. Craft, Sullinger and Buford are almost the best 1, 5 and 3 in the nation right now, my opinion.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 1 month ago

Craft is the best PG I have seen this year!

jrbill67 8 years, 1 month ago

All I want for Christmas is that Johnson doesn't become Taylor. I'm sorry to say he's looking like him more and more every day and he's simply too talented to play without his brain for most of the game.

Matt Dimeo 8 years, 1 month ago

all you guys talking about how talented EJ is, I don't see it. Taylor has reached his leadership potential I think. We can't be the most dominant team in the country for ever right? We JH fans need a season like this one and I gotta say it's so much better without a bunch of NBA bound players waiting to get the season over with so they can move on like we've had in the last 4 years. I mean, the Morri, Selby, Xavier, even Cole and Sherron played like they didn't care most of the time. This years team is playing with heart.

Steve Gantz 8 years, 1 month ago

Last year a lot of people kept wondering why EJ didn't play more. Now we're finding out. He's been a disappointment.

Steve Gantz 8 years, 1 month ago

Since we're all whining here, or accusing people of whining, let me whine. Why Lawrence Journal World do you have to click 3 times to post a comment? The last click is the worst.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 1 month ago

I talked about T Rob in the other thread so no reason to bring him up here.

A couple more observations:

1) If anybody noticed the first play of the game where Tyshawn drove and instead of dumping a pass off to T Rob for a nasty dunk, Tyshawn attempted a left hand reverse layup where he got fouled.

Tyshawn did everything right by taking it strong, but the decision making is what concerns me. He went 1 for 2 from the line and instead of having a juiced fieldhouse for the start of the game, Taylor got his first point and dead gym for better part of the first half.

2) I thought EJ had a horrific game and he's the player I am most concerned about on the team finding his place and getting on the same page/rhythm as the rest of the team. I thought these next 3 games (Starting with FAU last night) were going to be crucial for EJ's development, but he definitely regressed last night. Time to pick yourself up and quit feeling sorry for yourself like Self stated after the game.

3) I thought Relly played pretty good D as always, but even more so than EJ IMO, I thought Relly's body language was absolutely horrific last night. More so than EJ, I thought Relly was the one that was feeling sorry for himself.

You can definitely tell he is "Pressing" on the offensive end.  He's second guessing everything he's doing out there on the offensive side of the ball.  When he jacked up that 3 in the frist half and he had a wide open TT with a quick ball reversal, you could tell he's laboring big time out there.

4) There are many other things I could bring up, but I'll keep it pretty short. My last observation which I haven't mentioned at all this season is KU's fast break opportunities (2 on 1 and 3 on 2). Horrible!

It's been a long time since I've seen a team this bad at finishing when you have numbers in transition.  Part of the problem is that the man with the ball is passing the ball too soon to the wing player allowing the defense to cut off the angle.

Man with the ball needs to keep defender honest and not give that puppy up too early. It seems pretty basic and fundamental, but KU has tossed away many transition opportunities thus far this season.

Luke Kading 8 years, 1 month ago

As I watch these games I can't help but think of how much this team is missing Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar. Obviously, losing the Morris twins was the biggest loss off of last year's team, but I think they are missing those two less heralded players more than people realize. Two of the biggest problems this team has is feeding the ball to the post to create easy baskets, and having good shooters on the perimiter who can stretch the defense and keep them honest. Reed and Morningstar were excellent at feeding the ball to the post quickly and accurately, which lead to easy baskets, and were both great three point shooters. Right now, all the guards look hesitant to ever throw the ball inside, and when they do it seems like it gets knocked away or they just throw it out of bounds. Also, they have a only few guys who can actually make a three pointer, but only one I would consider a spot up shooter, and that is Conner Teahan, and although he has looked decent against lesser competition at home, I don't think he can do it consistently against big time competition in big games.

Not to mention, Reed and Morningstar were smart and strong with the ball, which is about the exact opposite of what I saw last night. Careless ball handling and passing is a really big concern of mine with this years team.

AzNHawk 8 years, 1 month ago

Sloppiest game I've ever seen from KU. I really hope this team begins to blend in and get better throughout the season.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 1 month ago

Chris Walker just announced a Final 3 of Florida, Kansas, and UConn. By his twitter comment...........he seems a little ticked off that Kentucky stopped recruiting him.

Anyway, here is an addition to the above article.

JayDocMD 8 years, 1 month ago

Wasn't sure how to take his tweets. After seeing all of his tweets, it sounds like Walker wants Kentucky if they're interested in him.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 1 month ago

Nice link, as well. Wildeboor's assessment on our needs:

"I'm guessing Thomas Robinson's gonna go [to the NBA]," Shay Wildeboor, who covers Kansas recruiting for JayhawkSlant.com, told Five-Star Basketball. "They're going to lose Tyshawn [Taylor]. They need guys that score from the wing. They need power forward guys. They need guards and forwards, or at least wings."

Now, tell me Shay, what is it that we don't need in your opinion?

Jack Wilson 8 years, 1 month ago

JayDoc -- Thanks for the link:

“Coach [Bill] Self and Coach [Joe] Dooley, I spoke to them right before they played Duke last week at the Maui Invitational,” Lewis said. “They’re looking for me to come in and make the big plays right away. Coach Self saw me a play a couple times this summer. Coach Dooley came [to] see me at my school work out. I think I can come in and play right away at the point guard spot.”

Hmmm. Do you think that Self has scrapped that "being honest with recruits" thing? Or do think it's semantics? Meaning "play" .. might mean one minute a game, might mean 20. "Play" .. yes, son, you will "play" right a way. I promise.

Chris Shaw 8 years, 1 month ago

Zach Peters and Julius Randle play on ESPN exactly two weeks from tonight! Their teammate Matt Jones just committed to Duke! How is that team not ranked?

Anyway, Here is the ESPN schedule for High School games this season.