Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Ex-wife of former KU athletics administrator says no fraud relating to ticket scandal in divorce settlement

— The ex-wife of the highest-ranking official caught in the University of Kansas ticket scalping scandal has denied any fraudulent transfer of assets in their divorce settlement.

The court filing Monday by Mary Jean Kirtland comes in response to a civil lawsuit filed by the U.S. attorney's office against her and ex-husband Ben Kirtland, the former associate athletic director in charge of development.

Prosecutors are pursuing assets from former KU officials convicted in the theft of more than $2 million in athletic tickets.

The lawsuit alleges Ben Kirtland fraudulently transferred a house and other property in the divorce. It seeks to void those transfers, which it values at more than $400,000.

Mary Jean Kirtland, who now lives in Cary, N.C., contends the transfers were a fair distribution of assets made in good faith.

Comments

Geekinout 7 years, 10 months ago

"She take my money, well I'm in need Yeah she's a triflin' friend indeed Oh she's a gold digger way over time That digs on me..."

jhawk23 7 years, 10 months ago

I personally have read the divorce settlement, and it is preposterously one-sided. It was as if Kirtland told his wife, "Sorry I destroyed our family. You may as well take everything--the house, the stocks, the retirement accounts (plural) because the feds are gonna come take everything that's in my name. Better you than paying KU back."

Steve Jacob 7 years, 10 months ago

Since you read what I am sure was a boring read, I will trust your opinion the most. I'd settle, better to keep a little then lose it all.

Pbbut 7 years, 10 months ago

I'm not going to pretend to be a lawyer, but it seems that in several cases I've seen that it doesn't make any difference if it was in "good faith" or not. Even in the Bernie Madoff scheme, people who "made" money in their dealings with Madoff have had to return the money because it was money they received in a fraud, even if they weren't part of the fraud.

jhox 7 years, 10 months ago

If she was gainfully employed and contributing money to toward the house and investment accounts, it could get complicated. If she knew they were benefitting from the illegal sale of tickets, I'm not sure it would matter though. It will be an interesting case to follow.

Pitthawk34 7 years, 10 months ago

She needs to be thrown in jail as well.

KU 7 years, 10 months ago

They all knew the gig was up and acted in self-interest. My ex-wife represented Brandon Simmons in the sale of his house. I read about the ticket scandal, and the next thing I knew, she told me she was acting as their Realtor. I told her she probably shouldn't get mixed up in this situation, knowing that Simmons was trying to dump his house to avoid it being seized by the authorities. It's all a bunch of lying, illegal BS. Simmons should have never been allowed to act as an informant. He should have gone down, too.