Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Bill Self shrugs off Aggies’ departure

Kansas coach Bill Self participated in his golf tournament to benefit Boy Scouts on Monday and Lawrence Country Club.

Reader poll

Do you think Texas A&M should remain a part of the Big 12 conference?

• Yes. 48% 832 votes
  • No. 51% 897 votes

1729 total votes.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self is not losing any sleep over Texas A&M’s apparent departure from the Big 12 Conference.

“No,” Self said Monday at his Boy Scouts of America benefit golf tournament at Lawrence Country Club, when asked if he was worried about A&M possibly bolting the Big 12 for the SEC, just hours before the first reports that the Aggies had, in fact, decided to leave the league.

“I don’t mean to sound negative or whatever, but I don’t think that’s a dealbreaker at all,” he added, referring to the future nine-team Big 12 possibly breaking up.

“Last year, Nebraska and Colorado leaving put the whole league in flux because everybody else was looking. From what I gather, other schools are solid.

“Hey, nine is not a bad number,” Self added. “Nine is 16 league games in basketball which is better (than 18) and eight in football, which is better. I don’t see any negatives with that. We want them to stay obviously, but you know, it’s one of those things you want people to want to be there, too.”

Self on Monday was presented the Boy Scouts’ prestigious “Silver Beaver Award.” It is a medal that consists of a silver beaver pendant suspended from a blue and white ribbon worn around the neck. It is the highest honor the Boy Scouts present to volunteers who provide “outstanding service to scouting.”

“That is a big honor. I didn’t expect that. (I’m) certainly not deserving,” Self said. “It’s pretty cool they would recognize that,” he said of his supporting the tourney for seven years.

KU last Wednesday to Friday sold between 5,000 and 6,000 tickets for the Sept. 24 Legends of the Phog alumni exhibition basketball game, noted Greg Gurley, director of development of the Williams Fund. Those tickets were purchased by KU students as well as individuals in the top three tiers of the Fund. On Monday, tickets continued to be sold to students and all remaining Williams Fund membership levels. Non-Williams Fund members can buy tickets beginning Sept. 6.

“The phones this morning were packed. You couldn’t almost get through,” Gurley said before teeing off in Self’s tournament. “This is going to be neat. It gives us an opportunity to give money back to someone near and dear to us all in Neil (Dougherty, late former KU assistant coach) and his family and get everyone back in a fun atmosphere.”

KU is working with the family of Dougherty to find a cause, that according to Self will “definitely give Neil a lasting legacy in an area of his life that was very dear to him.” Additionally, Self said Kansas Athletics will donate a portion of the proceeds to one of Dougherty’s favorite local charities – the Boys & Girls Club of Lawrence.

Paul Pierce of the Boston Celtics will be the featured performer in a game to include most of KU’s current players in the NBA and other former Jayhawks, too. So far, confirmations have been received from current NBA players Cole Aldrich (Oklahoma City), Mario Chalmers (Miami), Nick Collison (OKC), Xavier Henry (Memphis ), Darnell Jackson (Sacramento), Marcus Morris (Houston), Markieff Morris (Phoenix) and Pierce (Boston). Former NBA players to attend at this time: Greg Ostertag, Scot Pollard, Darnell Valentine.

KU freshmen Braeden Anderson, Ben McLemore and Jamari Traylor, as reported in Monday’s J-W, have not yet reported to campus for first-semester classes as they await word on their eligibility from the NCAA Clearinghouse.

The three did attend summer school at KU in June and July.

“The way the rule is written ... before they can participate in the fall, they have to be certified as full qualifiers,” Self said Monday. “There’s a vast majority of kids that go to school in the summer that have not been certified yet. Our kids got their stuff (high school transcripts) in early and on time and those sorts of things, but they went to multiple high schools. Going to more than two high schools triggers more of an in-depth search into their things and they (Clearinghouse officials) have asked for additional information. It’s taken us a little bit of time to put some of that stuff together. They have it. Hopefully the kids will be on campus real soon.”

The NCAA passed a rule several years ago that allowed all student-athletes, even ones not yet cleared, to attend summer school to get ahead academically while adjusting to college life.

KU has offered a scholarship to Andrew White, a 6-6 senior forward from Miller High School in Chester, Va.

White, who is ranked No. 57 in the Class of 2012, has received offers from KU, Texas, Maryland, Memphis, Missouri, Tennessee, West Virginia and many others.

“Receiving a scholarship offer from Kansas is a real honor. We plan to visit the school and see if it’s a good fit,” White’s dad told jayhawkslant.com.

Also, Savon Goodman, a 6-6 senior forward from Academy of the New Church in Philadelphia, has decommitted from Villanova. Rivals.com’s No. 53-rated player has a new list of Villanova as well as KU, Seton Hall, USC and UCLA.

Comments

dynamitehawk 2 years, 11 months ago

An advantage to being in Europe: first to post.

Bill Self taps Silver Beaver.

Gary, you're losing it. :)

KGphoto 2 years, 11 months ago

I thought that was a Real Housewives of New Jersey award.

KUFan90 2 years, 11 months ago

"Hey...nice beaver!"

"Thanks, I just had it stuffed."

jaybate 2 years, 11 months ago

"Glass Half Full"

•TAM who?

•Does the new TV revenue contract stay the same size regardless of the number of teams?

• TAM leaving creates a new opportunity for transfers.

•No more trips to Juco Station, TX.

•No more explaining to recruits why they have to play a paramilitary academy.

•No more annoying need to hit the shift key to type "&."

•No more need to explain to recruits why they will be playing an agricultural and mechanical team.

•No more need to worry about a conference member being exposed for "heffer love" cults.

•No more polishing a turd.

Saguaro_Jayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

No, the new TV contracts may have reduced payouts if conference remains below 10 members.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 11 months ago

As much as I respect your opinions jay..this marks the end game for the Big 12 I hope we aren't left holding an empty glass.

actorman 2 years, 11 months ago

Not one of your better ones, jaybate. And besides, several of those could still apply to KSUck.

aerohawk 2 years, 11 months ago

So what if they do apply to KSUck? If we were lucky enough to not be tied to KSUck we would be part of the PAC-12,14,16.

Hammertoe 2 years, 10 months ago

You are dreaming. I've been to high school stadiums in Texas nicer the Memorial Stadium. Football is king.

okjhok 2 years, 11 months ago

Now is probably not the opportune time to rip K-State (although many may feel any time is a good time for that). Didn't we just go like 1-13 against them last year? I'm no KSU apologist, but our athletic program is just short of being in shambles right now. If it's not basketball and it's not played by men, we don't win anything anymore.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I like Bill Self. His attitude is perfect: calm and confident. If you flipped this whole thing on its side and said: Hey, we are starting a new conference and we have commitments from Texas, OU, Kansas, Missouri, etc., etc., people would say - that's going to be something pretty good. Self is right, 9 teams works. Let's not panic and add teams that dilute the conference worse than K-State already does.

Michael Pannacciulli 2 years, 11 months ago

I just don't see the big 12 staying put at 9 teams.

Good thing they didn't spend millions in rebranding the conference when it dipped to ten!

Why the heck is that clearing house so insanely slow and backed up every year? How about budgeting for more resources so the kids can start the year on time with everyone else...

aerohawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I agree that they won't stay at 10 teams, but who can we add to the conference that adds value? Most of the teams that come up would be leaches. I think it is a fantasy that we could get ND (I would love to be wrong).

notigers4me 2 years, 11 months ago

The NCAA clearing house employs one guy who gets paid by the hour to investigate high school athletes academic records. It's job security to go real slow.

Robert Brock 2 years, 11 months ago

The conference could get back to ten if BYU was willing to join. So far, there has been no indication that they are interested. Just imagine: one freak show out; one freak show in.

ohjayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

One of the big issues with the clearinghouse (from what I've read from other sources), is that they are still focused on clearing everything up for the football (and volleyball and all the other fall sports') season, as it begins next week. Once they are finished with football, then they will move to basketball. I don't know if it's true, and it doesn't make the wait any easier, but it makes sense.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 11 months ago

They should have commenced this process as soon as these young men signed their LOI. The process is not rocket science!

ohjayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

They can't always do that. They need their transcripts in total to be able to make a decision. Most players sign their LOI at the beginning of their senior year. Most school years end at the end of May-beginning of June, give a couple weeks for final grades to be finished, you're looking at middle of June when the transcripts are at a point they can be sent. Now, multiply this by the thousands of student-athletes in Divisions I and II that can receive scholarships. I'm honestly not defending the NCAA, but I would say that it's more the case that the NCAA needs more people working at the clearinghouse to be able to get through all of these transcripts in a more timely fashion than it is of getting the information in sooner.

beware0fph0g 2 years, 11 months ago

Would SMU add value to the league? Honestly curious to hear some insight.

Geekinout 2 years, 11 months ago

In the heart of Dallas and have $ out the ying-yang... I'm not sure UT would be too keen on having them though, considering the athletes they pluck from the Dallas Metro area.

Billy Derringer 2 years, 11 months ago

what the hell does SMU offer to the big 12? great another wiping boy that would bring the confense overall RPI down. The hell with SMU, id rather get nobody than more of the likes of Baylor, i take that back, SMU dosent even hold Baylor's jock strap.

loyal2thaphog 2 years, 11 months ago

Look. A school like SMU or Houston would (eventually) bring value to the league. Last I checked, Texas is one of the most fertile recruiting ground in the U.S. Elevating either of these schools to a prominent leauge and with both schools residing in Texas, only an idiot would fail to realize that either school would become a froce to be reckoned with rather quickly. Both, more than likey, would be like UT's little brother. The only difference being that unlike A&M, either of these schools would embrace the oppurtunity to regain their prestige. Re: SMU ncaa infractions violation history... I have to believe they learned their lesson. In the short run, they bring the conference RPI down, in the long run, the help hold the big12 together and with time, become relevant again.

bradynsdad 2 years, 11 months ago

so in all honesty. Who could we get? Anyone's opinion is welcome. I have seen that SMU is not strong enough, byu already has their own network so why do they need us, if notre dame joins a conference it will be the big ten, an sec school like Arkansas isn't going to leave the sec for the big Texas conference, lousville and cincinnati are happy where their at, Texas won't allow tcu and really Houston hasn't done a whole lot to make a name for itself. So I ask who can we logically get?

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I think a lot of us would like to see TCU, but it probably won't happen. If it were down to SMU and Houston, I think I'd like to see Houston. I have family in Houston and maybe could catch a game now and then while I'm visiting! Great reason, huh?

jgkojak 2 years, 11 months ago

There are too many obvious comments regarding the "silver beaver award" (shouldn't Wilt's name be on there somewhere... but I digress..) -- so instead I'll comment on A&M:

As HCBS said, 9 is a better number than 10 in # of conference games. For football, it gives us an extra win (we'd hope) every year, making a bowl game more likely. In basketball, 16 is just about a perfect number of games to play in conference.

That said, BYU would be fools to not join the B12 - they keep their own network, the travel isn't any worse than what they had in the Mtn West, and they upgrade in basketball competition.

If BYU isn't interested, I still say Air Force adds some interesting variety, gets us back into Colorado, geographically fits and obviously is the home of quality young men who would be a positive influence on our conference.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 11 months ago

I may be in error, but aren't there female cadets at Air Force as well?

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 11 months ago

Yes there are, but maybe jg doesn't think they would be a positive influence on the conference.

loyal2thaphog 2 years, 11 months ago

I think I'd rather puke than add Air Force to the Big 12. Seriously? We need to be aggressive an go after schools like Memphis and Louiville. Memphis has outgrown conference USA and Louiville would be better served, geographically and competitively (football) in the Big 12.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 11 months ago

Agreed .. not Air Force. I do like the A-10 Warthog for possible flyovers for football pregames .. perhaps they could strafe Columbia .. but as patriotic as I am, no Air Force.

I like the Memphis and Louisville options, but they are definitely basketball first deals.

How about KU, Memphis, Lousville, K-State, Missouri moving to the ACC?

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 11 months ago

I have been googling the BYU thing and I can't find many Utah writers who don't think it's a good move for BYU. If that's true, I can't imagine it's not option A for the Big XII. And many of those articles are also saying this would be a football-only marriage, for whatever that's worth. I don't believe for one second that ND is coming, and I just can't imagine why Arkansas would come back to the old SWC.

As for the likes of SMU and Air Force. Maybe they don't bring a lot of tv sets, but that would allow the Big XII to once again have a conference championship game. I don't know the numbers, but I've read enough opinion pieces that say you have to have one for the cash to make me believe it's at least a concern. And who cares if SMU and Air Force aren't football powers. I'm looking at this strictly from the perspective of Kansas football, and those are winnable games for us.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 11 months ago

First Tier Choices:

Notre Dame - Will only come if they get a better deal than Texas and monkeys fly out of my butt. BYU - The "Stormin' Mormons" would bring both football and basketball credibility As Elwood Blues would say, "They're on a mission from God." Air Force - Into the wild blue yonder would mean at least two victories a year in basketball for Kansas

Second tier choices: Louisville - It would be fun to kick Ricky's butt a couple of times a year. Houston - Only if we are desperate. SMU - Only if we are on drugs and are desperate.

Third Tier Choices: Did I mention Houston and SMU? TCU - No way Texas allows this. Oral Roberts - Anything with the word Oral in it, can't be all bad!!

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 11 months ago

Two things: First, I keep reading that BYU is really only interested in a football only move (as posted above). Second, "monkeys fly out my butt" will never cease to be funny!

dynamitehawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Colorado State; Memphis; Boise State; Louisville...

Or go like hell towards the Big East.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 11 months ago

Just in..Brandon Ashley just committed to Arizona. Although listed as a forward, he has center potential. Does this mean Kaleb is a lock for Kansas??

Any thoughts??

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 11 months ago

Why would that mean he's a lock? Not being a smartass, just asking. I thought Kaleb was considering Kentucky, wouldn't that be independent of anything Arizona does in recruiting?

bennybob 2 years, 11 months ago

Yes, Tarczewski is ours to lose at this point

we definetly got the better of the two prospects IMO

mikehawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I think consideration of the re-branding issue is an interesting idea when we apparently have no idea who will be here from one year to the next. First, I considered new names like The University of Texas Conference, or The Musical Chairs Conference or The Big [blank] Conference, or The Everybody Hates Texas Conference, or Burnt Orange and the Eight Dwarfs Conference. Or to entice A&M to stay it could be the President Rick Perry Conference. Or the conference could create a whole new paradigm with new members in and out every two years. We could invite Notre Dame and BYU in for two years and market it as the Holy Wars Years. TCU and Boise State might like a shot for a couple of years and allowing them to see how they measure up to some of the big boys. Louisville and Memphis might like to come over and experience a home and home with KU in basketball. Or maybe we trade out a team or two from other conferences every couple of years to break the boredom. Arizona and Arizona State could come over and OU and Texas could be Pac 12 teams for awhile to get it out of their systems. Arkansas would love this idea so they could come over and never leave after deciding they liked their old Southwest Conference buddies better anyway. Or Arkansas and A&M could trade out a couple of years and decide to return or just make it permanent. Television would love it. The marketing possibilities are endless. It is The Chameleon Conference!

Trey Hohman 2 years, 11 months ago

How many Aggies does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Just one, but they get 4 hours of college credit for it.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 11 months ago

Somebody in the sports department needs to wake up and do some investigating. An OU plane has traveled from Dallas to Norman and is now on it's way to chicago.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 11 months ago

Gary, you need some Nick Krug photo tips. Next time try flash fill-in, buddy. :)

Eric Baker 2 years, 11 months ago

I think everyone is forgetting, in regards to TCU, that they have already left the Mountain West Conference and will playing in the Big East in all sports starting with the 2012 season. So, they already have their place in an automatic qualifying league, and one of the weakest at that. As unlikely as I think it would be for UT to approve of TCU joining the Big 12, I think it's even more unlikely that TCU would change conference affiliations twice in a year and before playing even a single game in the Big East.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 11 months ago

A thought .. would the apparent lack of stability and domination of revenues by Texas be a bit of a negative when it comes to convincing other teams to joint the Big XII? Is this just a sinking ship?

I can only imagine the plotting going on in Columbia, as they engage in such considerations based on their inflated opinions of the themselves. I hear the Ivy league is among their considerations.

Best realistic scenario .. add Louisville, BYU, and Houston .. go to 12.

Best unrealistic scenario .. add Notre Dame, Arkansas, and anybody else.

Most realistic scenario .. the conference blows up. Texas, KU, OU, Ok. St. go to the Pac-16.

Sleeper Scenario .. KU and others move to the basketball first ACC as FSU and A&M join the SEC.

Nightmare scenario: KU is chained to KSU .. play it out from there. How about a January trip to Boise St. for a Tuesday evening game on Versus?

chriz 2 years, 11 months ago

HEM, I think you're right. We're all fooling ourselves if we think Bill Self is being honest in his evaluation if the conference. Imagine him being honest to a recruit: "I have no idea what's gonna happen with us. We might go to the Pac 10, our we might join the Mountain "Mid-Major" West with our little sister down the street. But who cares...come hang out in the middle of Kansas, anyway!

I wonder how much of this press has had an effect on recruiting. In the end I think we'll be play, but I would LOVE to see us go somewhere good sooner or later. Big East, Pac 10, whatever. Just not the Mountain West.