Friday, August 26, 2011

Keegan

Kansas football assistant David Beaty sells KU as the UT of Kansas to Texas recruits

Feature

KUSports.com Fan Appreciation Night

You are invited to our KUSports.com fan appreciation BBQ!

For nearly half his life, sophomore James Sims, Kansas University’s leading rusher a year ago, has known KU receivers coach David Beaty.

Here’s how the pattern has gone: Beaty sells Sims on coming to play football for his team. Sims buys what he’s selling, attends the school, and by the time he gets there, Beaty is working for Rice University.

It happened when Sims told Beaty he had nothing to worry about, he would attend MacArthur High in Irving, Texas, and resist the overtures of a football factory known for churning out running backs. That coincided with Beaty’s departure from high school coaching to college coaching.

Beaty left Rice to work for Mark Mangino at Kansas. In Mangino’s last year, Beaty convinced Sims to say yes to him one more time, but Mangino was forced into resigning, and his replacement, Turner Gill didn’t retain any of his assistant coaches. Beaty returned to Rice, and Sims honored his commitment to KU.

When receivers coach Darryl Wyatt left KU for Texas, it didn’t take long to make the right call for a replacement. Gill brought Beaty back to Kansas.

“I feel like all I’ve done with James is recruit him,” Beaty said. “I recruited that dude since he was in sixth grade. I recruited his mom. I made sure he came to the school he was supposed to come to. When I was here (the first time), I was on the road trying to get him to come to Kansas. I got him committed before we left, and Turner and those guys did a good job of keeping him.”

Gill did a good job of bringing Beaty back to Kansas, where he has a knack for convincing Texas talent to take the same path he has traveled twice. Having been one of them, Beaty knows what it takes to connect to high school coaches from the Dallas Metroplex. They know he’s a coach first, a salesmen second, because guys who can’t coach can’t win in big-time Texas high school football.

He knows how to connect to the top athletes from the highly competitive high schools because connecting with them was what he did for a living and did it so well he parlayed it into a college career. Beaty has that engaging quality that makes it difficult for recruits to say no to him.

He said he finds it easy to sell Kansas because all he has to do is share what it is that made him fall in love with the place.

“The thing that I really try to make them understand is when you grow up in the state of Texas, right, wrong or indifferent, all eyes are on the University of Texas. Period,” Beaty said. “So everybody and everything is compared to that. So for me to draw an analogy to a kid, one of the easiest ways for me to do that very quickly is just to tell them, ‘Fellas, for me to make you understand what Kansas is, it is the University of Texas in Kansas. It is their Texas. It is just like that.’ And it is. This is exactly what it’s like here, so when they come here they’re like, ‘Man, I didn’t know it was like this.’ How unbelievable the facilities are, the commitment level, the fan following, the town, the location, how it’s close to Kansas City, and it’s got its own college-town feel to it. It’s got the best of both worlds.”

In Beaty, Gill has an assistant who brings the best of both worlds. He can recruit the talent to KU and he can coach it up.

Comments

jayhawkinnebr 2 years, 7 months ago

From what the experts are saying about KU recruits in baskeball, it sounds like Bill is coming up short on recruits.

tulsahawk13 2 years, 7 months ago

The last time we shared the conference title was 1968, and the only time we won it outright was 1930... other than that we're pretty much identical lol

jayhawkintexas 2 years, 7 months ago

Eurekahwk, as a born-and-raised Jayhawk who lives close to Austin, I can assure you that UT is NOT a cowboy college. That would be Texas Tech and, to a lesser extent, Texas A&M. KU and UT are similar in many ways, as are Lawrence and Austin.

55jayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

To: LAJayhawk, I agree with you on regarding Tom's article and your comments. I am also a David Beaty fan and glad to have him back again at KU. To you: DRsmith whoever you are, you need a good Southern "Ass Woopin" for your drug testing comment! What the hell brought that subject up, there was nothing in the article to make that statement whether it was a joke or not. Actually I am a yankee who grew up in Kansas and spent my time on the turf at Memorial Stadium and think your Drug Test comment is way out of line!

Eurekahwk 2 years, 7 months ago

UT of Kansas! What an insult. That is a cowboy college. The University of Kansas was founded by dignitaries from back east who envisioned a new university in the likeness of another great institution. We are the Harvard on the Kaw.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Tom,

I call you out when you write bad stuff, and, as I've said to you personally, I will also tell you when I think you've done good work. This is a very good piece, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. As I said above, it is filled with interesting information and insight that I'm sure 99% of the readers did not know, and you let the information speak for itself. Well done.

Note, also, since basically no one has mentioned you, that probably means most everyone thinks it's a solid article. If they don't criticize you, then you have probably excelled. That's about the best you're going to get from the readership at this point. Take what you can get... :)

Again, nice piece.

knotahawk 2 years, 7 months ago

KU is the UT of Kansas...in that they get whooped by K-State on a regularly basis.

stm62 2 years, 7 months ago

KU fans have shown that they'll care about football too if you put a GOOD product on the field.

Hitman79 2 years, 7 months ago

HAHA, the way UT has been playing the past few years, that's about right...KU=UT What a joke!

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years, 7 months ago

I am not real sure just what this coach (or this news reporter for that matter) have been drinking or smoking.

I am a life-long OU fan. As for UT, uh, well, I am a fan of anyone who is playing UT this week. Great school and lots of fun to whomp the tar of in Dallas. But seriously, this article smacks of the usual sports drivel. Kids in Texas where football is almost a religion, want to go to a great football school, like UT, and there simply is not room for all of them in the state's college system. Many of the players at OU are from Texas, something that has always caused amusement when OU goes to Dallas and wins. There are rumors that Bob Stoops has a second house somewhere deep in the heart of Texas!

I cannot see why they might be persuaded to come to KU, football has never been much of a draw here for many years, with a few motable exceptions. But again, there is not a lot of room for all the football recruits in the Lone Star state, and I guess that some of them just don't care much for Austin, College Station or Lubbock (or Norman).

greenworld 2 years, 7 months ago

Now if you could get players to come here and steal a few away from signing at Norman than you would have some "REAL" players. Texas is so overrated as it is. Horns down forever!!!! Tx is picked to finish like 4-5 this yr. I would be going after guys that are thinking about committing to OU, OSU, MU, Tx am and Baylor before I would try and steal some from Tx. Tx and NEb gets players to play for them because they dreamed of playing there since they were a kid or they are getting paid. cant beat that to come to Ku. Tx players however are spoonfed and dont want to actually come and work and play football but rather like have everything handed to them. Usc is another spoonfed school. Just sayin.

jphog 2 years, 7 months ago

I think it's pretty accurate. Most Texas fans just care about football. Most KU fans just care about basketball. Other than that both schools are clearly the best in their respective states.

ku_foaf 2 years, 7 months ago

Even the relationship between ATM and UT is similar to the one between KSU and KU. ATM says their biggest rival is UT. UT people say OU is their greatest rival. ATM people say the state favors UT & all the lawmakers are UT grads since they don't have a law school. You can practically substitute KU=UT KSU=ATM and OU = MU and things sound pretty similar. And of course, there are the Aggie jokes...though ATM actually has an official book of them that they sell!

ku_foaf 2 years, 7 months ago

I have heard many comparisons between UT and KU as far as campus culture & musical tastes. People said that in the early 80s when I was at KU, and my daughter, who went to another Big 12 school and has visited both, described KU as "The UT of Kansas."

gdkadjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

UT of Kansas? I thought we were the "Harvard of the Heartland".

Tony Bandle 2 years, 7 months ago

Teams that the Big 9 1/2 should target:

1] Notre Dame - won't happen but must list them. 2] BYU - Strong in Football and Basketball 3] TCU - Strong in football, we'll kick their butts in basketball 4] Air Force - Recapture Colorado plus world wide coverage [Neat lightning bolt on helmets] 5] Louisville - Icky Ricky would spice up basketball 6] Cincinnati - no good reason except six picks looks I put a lot more thought in this post than I truly did!!

edjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Hopefully when other players see how he works the receivers will rub off on them in terms of mental and physical toughness. We lacked that last year and a little of Mangino is not a bad thing.

edjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

WHat would you prefer him to tell recruits? Don't come here because this is the worst venue for college football?

741hawk 2 years, 7 months ago

The receiver problem last year that no one talks about is that our receivers could never separate . . . .get open. It was a glaring weakness that I expect Beaty will correct. He's a great coach (head coach material) and a great recruiter. Never understood how/why Gill didn't retain him in the first place.

Look for separation!

bangaranggerg 2 years, 7 months ago

Coach Beaty as a salesman at Aristocrat Motors: "Gentlemen, this here BMW 7-Series is like the Cadillac of automobiles."

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I like Coach Beaty's enthusiasm and salesmanship, but he's way off base with the one comment about the fan following. In football, right now, it is terrible. And before you all ( or as they say in the KU of Texas- " Y'all ") jump down my throat, the fan following probably is justified in being terrible right now. That will change soon.

sloppyscience 2 years, 7 months ago

It's an apt comparison...when you watch a Texas game the one thing thats glaringly obvious is how most of the student section leaves at halftime

newmedia 2 years, 7 months ago

Bottom line. If Texas wants you to play football you'll go to Texas.

newjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

whatever.....it's the damn kansas of kansas..period!

Displayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

Great point Blackhawk! LMAO!

Bradh, I always thought Coach Gill should have kept Chris Dawson as the strength and conditioning coach. Now he is working against us down the road in kittyville.

bradh 2 years, 7 months ago

Beaty was the one coach I really thought Gill should have hung onto from Mangino's staff. With Gill's "recruit, recruit, recruit" message and Beaty's knack for recruiting, it seemed a perfect fit. Glad Beaty's back.

blackhawkjayhawk 2 years, 7 months ago

I've always thought of UT as the KU of Texas.

DRsmith 2 years, 7 months ago

Do they drug test the coaches? They should probably start.

100 2 years, 7 months ago

Keep bringin' 'em in Coach Beaty!!!!!!!!!